Saturday Night At FedEx - Something To Behold

There are new gates all over the place out here. Like everywhere. Even the sidewalks around the stadium are gated. This must be what the FedEx guy feels like who has the Snyder residence on his route.

Also, as most of us could have guessed, Johnny Rockets is all over the place in the concourses. I'm going to go out on a limb here and proclaim that JR's is now the official burger and milkshake joint for your Washington Redskins. Just a hunch, but I have a feeling we'll be hearing quite a bit about Johnny over the PA system tonight.

As for football matters, I hear it is extremely, extremely unlikely that Todd Wade or Rock Cartwright gets on the field tonight. Wonder what Jason Campbell is thinking about the state of the offensive line right about now, especially the left side. Again, Heyer looks better than could be expected, but how many times do you want to run him out there without an established guard by his side, and with Jansen showing he needs help on the right side?

There isn't a whole lot out there on the O Line, although I spoke to an NFC personnel guy who says that right now the Eagles have 10-11 O Linemen who can play in the league .... problem is they usually keep 10 of them (to the detriment of their special teams, as this personnel guy pointed out).

"They've got Winston Justice as the back-up left tackle over there," he said. "Hell, he'd be starting for most teams. That's a team with some depth ... I'm not sure the Redskins have the kind of depth you really need to win. I don't see it right now."

So don't look for much help from the Eagles, 'cause they'll probably keep a lot of what they have.. This evaluator also thinks the Eagles look like perhaps the team to beat in the conference based on early returns.

And no, he doesn't work for the Eagles or have any connections to them. Just another guy who is good at what he does who works for a team trying to knock Philly and everyone else off. This guy likes a lot what he sees from Washington's top 11 on each side of the ball, and he believes JC will be the truth and also thinks that Randle El will be a solid No. 2 WR and that the wide receiver will bounce back and contribute as the No. 3.

He even defended the wide receiver to some extent about his unwillingess to run crossing routes and do a whole lot in traffic. "Just let him streak down the field, that's who he is," the guy said. "That's how he helps you. You've got three other options on the intermediate stuff, the over-the-middle stuff - Cooley, Moss and Randle El."

I said I'd worry about guys like Santana and Randle El constantly having to bang heads with much bigger DBs, but he pointed out that's why they are in the NFL, that's their job, and their super-tough.

This guy does see some big problems with Portis being out for so long, and, like a lot of people around the league, thinks CP may be miling this thing a bit and that there seems to be too lax an atmosphere to a certain degree about these kind of issues with certain stars here, part of a culture that's festered here too long. It's well documented what CP thinks of the preseason.

And most of all, this personnel guy believes there is strong cause for concern with the offensive line. "How can you not have a guard?" he asked, believing what the Redskins did at the time they re-signed Mike Pucillo - that he is a valuable reserve guy and very versatile but not a guy you want starting every week. Maybe Mike will prove them all wrong, but it's a gamble no doubt to have this shuffling going on now (and even if healthy Wade's hold on the spot was weak given his progress) with Pittsburgh and Baltimore coming to town.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 18, 2007; 6:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pete Kendall
Next: Late Scratches

Comments

First! Underwear!
Curious to know where we are as we start Preaseason Game 2? 75210.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Jasno:

Thanks as always for the valuable insight, especially with the game a little more than 90 minutes away.

Just a simple question to those of you outside of the Metro DC area: is this game being televised on the NFL network or available elsewhere on DirectTV?

Specifically, Nate in PDX are you watching this game at On Deck in the Pearl in Portland?!

Hopefully so, as while I can certainly listen to "the guys" online, I don't know if I can take Sonny J. for four hours blathering on and on...

Thanks!

Posted by: Stumptown Chris | August 18, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

LOVE THAT CHICKEN FROM POPEYE'S!

Posted by: F Johnny Rocket's | August 18, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say the game isn't on the NFL Network...We'll do our best to update you.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Stumptown Chris,

I live in DC but I can definitely tell you the game is not being televised by the NFL Network. We can watch it here on Comcast or CBS. Not sure about your CBS affiliate.

Of course, it will probably be repeated tomorrow or sometime during the week by the NFL Network.

Posted by: Lisa | August 18, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

NFL NETWORK
NFL PRESEASON GAME
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Washington Redskins
Sunday, 2:00 PM EDT/11:00 AM PDT

Posted by: FYI | August 18, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone for the info.
I just checked and it looks like I can watch it on Satellite via the FSN channel out of Pittsburgh (ch. 628).

So if you need to find me I'll be at Tom's Sports Bar in north Portland...luckily they have free wi-fi so I can stay in touch with the true fans as I presume it will be overrun by Seahawks' fans given their game against the Packers going on at the same time.

Posted by: Stumptown Chris | August 18, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

We won't tell you who wins...

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

LOVE THAT CHICKEN FROM POP... um... JOHNNY ROCKET'S!!!!!!

Posted by: worstSeat | August 18, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

First! Underwear!

Underwear! What was that Cyn Cyty?

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Comcast Sports Network is blacking the game out on DirecTV. I'm hoping Fox Sports Pittsburgh doesn't, but who knows. Channels 628 and 629 for those dish heads out there...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Rockets' Chili Cheese Fries could single-handedly improve the FedEx gameday experience. Personally, I have a lot of trouble going to games these days. First off, it's a cross country flight. But beyond that, it's just so annoying with the parking and buses and traffic...and then there's all the drunks in the stands. Ugh.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

It was! I didn't want to say panties. It's a stupid word.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

We are getting Chargers vs Rams here on CBS

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

It was! I didn't want to say panties. It's a stupid word.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 07:13 PM

LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm hoping that is the case.
My bar: Tom's, has all the various packages so hopefully we can pull in that feed from Pittsburgh.

Regardless, there is going to be a few interesting match-ups tonight on here in Portland:

1) Seahawks vs. Packers;
2) Rams vs. Chargers

I just HOPE that we can pull off the trifecta with the Skins!

PDX Nate, where you @?

Posted by: Stumptown Chris | August 18, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't take anymore of the Pittsburgh pre-game crew (is it me, or ALL pre-game shows idiotic?), so I switched over to an episode of "Magnum PI". I have no idea what this show is about...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

There's always Hempfest here in Seattle if I get bored during the second half...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

How can issues with this team noted by many on here and another personnel guy go unnoticed by our FO? Here's hoping that Pucillo does surprise us all and him and Heyer can keep Campbells jersey fairly clean.

FYI - NFL network is replaying the game tomorrow afternoon at 2. I'd love to wait to watch it but I know my curiosity will bring me up here late tonight or tomorrow morning. Enjoy the game peeps.

Posted by: cdubb | August 18, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

The importance of preseason games should not be in doubt. I bet my whole 401(k) on the 'Skins to win this game. Baby need a new pair of shoes!

:-)

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Magnum is trying to stop the Cold War or something. Bunch of bikini clad chicks speaking Russian and he's talking about eliminating Soviet agents in a "non-violent manner, we don't want to create an international incident".

There HAS to be something else on...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Poppa John's, Domino's or Ledo's? You make the call.

Did not get a good report on that new sports bar so I will be watching the game at home.

Posted by: LH | August 18, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Ledo's! You're making me homesick...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 18, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Comcast has it blacked out in Charlottesville. This is ridiculous. Worst part is it will never get fixed because nobody (myself included) will care that they missed the preseason games once the regular season starts.

Posted by: Jim | August 18, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

You can always listen to the radio broadcast online. I won't give it away, because it directly benefits O' Danny Boy (since he now owns all the radio shows), but if you do a google search, you'll find it.

I just can't take Sonny for four hours, maybe you can. I can't...

Posted by: Stumptown Chris | August 18, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I am gonna listen online...and live blog...even though I am sick as a dog...

I am def getting some redskins crocs! does that make me lame?

Posted by: chris larry | August 18, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I cannot think of a single outfit with which these would not go:

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

C. Larry:

Lets see:

1) Listening to the game online +
2) Live blogging it +
3) Redskins Crocs +
4) All of it occurring on a Saturday night=

Priceless!

Posted by: Stumptown Chirs | August 18, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I am def getting some redskins crocs! does that make me lame?

That would be a big YES!!!!!

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah those suckas are mine...gives me pair number 3 baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chris larry | August 18, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Promise me, Chris Larry, that you'll wear gold sox under 'em. That would be one sweet look. And you live in NYC, right?

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

New post. Let's move.

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Cyn City:

Thanks for great tip!!!!!!!! I will def look into that.

Yes in NYC, yes my wife now hates you for that suggestion..

F Fashion!

Posted by: chris larry | August 18, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHA....who is the scout he was talking to, vinny cerrato? If he thinks winston justice would start for a lot of teams he is a fool just as if he thinks the eagles are the team to beat in the NFC he is fool. I hate the redskins but I will admit their defense looked very strong tonight and campbell and the off-line looked pretty good too. You guys are in BIG trouble if campbell is out for the season(#1 pick in the draft type of trouble) cause collins and brunell are garbage. Even if campbell misses no time i still don't see much better than 6-10 or 7-9 their are just too many glaring holes(guard, DT, 2nd/3rd WR) and no depth anywhere to do better.

And by the way, my team, America's Team is dominating the Broncos tonight 24-6. That's 2 losses for the redskins right there.

Posted by: Jerry Jones | August 18, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Wooooooooow. One personell guy gives some thoughts that make us look like crap. Way to dig up some positive news for us die hards Jasno!
You are helping feed a culture of negativity amoung us. STOP IT

Posted by: JG | August 18, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse