Saturday Night Blog Gathering

Nate sent in one final update for the festivities tomorrow. I hope to get to Regional Food And Drink by 5:30-ish. Here's all the details and have a great weekend. Cheers

Nate writes:

Hello, everybody,

It's finally upon us, the DC shabingus. Really excited to meet everybody. Final details below.

Cheers,
Nate

DC meet-up/happy hour/Nats game on Saturday, June 7

This is for everybody going to the HAPPY HOUR...

When: 4pm until whenever

Where: RFD, 810 7th St NW, Washington, DC
** One block up from the Verizon Center; half-block up from the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station
** We'll grab some tables -- look for people in Skins apparel. There will be about 40-50 of us, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

RFD site for more info: http://www.lovethebeer.com/rfd.html

This is for everybody going to the BASEBALL GAME after the happy hour...

** I'll distribute game tickets at the happy hour. Thanks to everybody who's paid in advance -- and to the rest of you for paying on Saturday!
** We should leave RFD around 6:15 or so. I'm planning to take Metro to the stadium, just a few stops down.

Nationals Park site for more game day info: http://nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/a-z_guide.jsp

Post-game...

Any ideas for fun after the game, especially because the postgame Metro might be a nightmare due to crowds and construction? I'm all ears...

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 6, 2008; 4:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unexpected Unrestricted
Next: Shabingus!

Comments

See y'all at RFD tomorrow. I'll be the guy being throttled outside by talent_evaluator...

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So Gibbs 1.0 was part of the Original WCO....

Sweeet...

Posted by: 4th | June 6, 2008 5:10 PM

Posted by: 4th | June 6, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

redcoat had a nice talk with himself at end of "everyone loves jason" thread

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2008 5:04 PM

Any throttling will be inside, in the air conditioning.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 6, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

BONG! Hits at my place after the game!

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | June 6, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

No more wondering and worrying about Thurman - he's done for 2008.

Posted by: not Clayton | June 6, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

• Shawn Springs' absence from the Redskins offseason program is surprising given the presence of a new head coach (Jim Zorn) and defensive coordinator (Greg Blache). Though the practices fall under the "voluntary" category, nearly all of the Redskins have participated in the drills and the 12-year veteran's absence is notable considering his stature as one of the leaders in the secondary.

With Carlos Rogers recovering from a torn ACL, the Redskins are counting on Springs to play a significant role next season, but his time away from the team prevents Blache from crafting a scheme that suits the veteran's skills. Springs is still regarded as the team's top corner, and his ability to play the nickel position in their sub-package makes him critical member of their defense. However, opponents have noticed that the former Pro Bowler's skills have started to slip and few regard him as a top corner in the league.

"He is not an elite corner, and hasn't been viewed as one for several years," said a NFC scout. "When we played them, a large part of our game plan was designed to attack him specifically."

An AFC scout added, "He's clearly lost a step and is no longer capable of holding up in man coverage against top receivers. ...They do a great job of hiding him in cover-2 and incorporating him into their blitz package as a nickel rusher, but he doesn't strike any fear in offenses."

In fact, that opinion may be shared by the Redskins, who asked Springs to accept a pay cut prior to last season. Though he declined, the move was likely viewed as an insult and could be partially to blame for Springs' decision to stay away from Redskins Park this offseason.

Posted by: 4th | June 6, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

F sports illustrated

Posted by: chris larry | June 6, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

So Zorn's offense is technically not a WCO, but a Walsh offense.

Posted by: Stumped | June 6, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Muff Diver

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Have fun y'all at the game.

Just for the record, Springs held up very well in 2007, just ask the Bears -- or anyone but NE. Tough to hide a guy in cover 2 on a defense with a modest pass rush. Springs was very good in 2007, some SI cheap shots aren't gonna fool me.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | June 6, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Titty Waxer

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The Jason Blair Witch Project ... not a good name for the video segment (for those who don't get it, google Jayson Blair)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | June 6, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Woo drinking baseball wooo

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 6, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Nats lost 10-1 tonight... good thing we'll have the camaraderie thing going, and the novelty of the stadium (for most of us), since it's entirely possible the game will be a dud. But it's baseball, anything could happen...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

No offense, but no one gives a damn about having this thing slammed in our faces every other day. If people are going, they've already made arrangements and aren't soon to forget. So STFU already.

Posted by: P.O.'d in D.C. | June 7, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

PO'd in DC:

Don't you have more important things to be pissed about?

Geeez!

Posted by: Chia Pet | June 7, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

P.O.'d, sorry you can't make it, but maybe next time, okay?

-Nate in the PDX*

* literally in the PDX, about to board my flight east

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

But it's baseball, anything could happen...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: | June 7, 2008 12:08 AM

I've been to a baseball game and I would have phrased this a little bit differently: "it's baseball, nothing can happen...." But it should be a nice night out with the RI crew.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 7, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: P.O.'d in D.C. | June 7, 2008 12:19 AM

So, the first two words, "no offense," were written by Dr. Jekyll and the last three, "so STFU already" were written by Mr. Hyde. That was a powerful potion you were drinking last night, P. O.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 7, 2008 6:47 AM | Report abuse

The stadium is sadly not that interesting.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 7, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

The high for today (and for the next three days) is predicted to be 97 degrees. That's how high they ever predict, because when it gets that hot in the afternoon, it thunderstorms. Today, however, they only have 10% prediction for precipitation. Therefore, I myself have changed my personal prediction from beer to mixed drinks ... because of the opportunity for high balling extra water.

- fauxco mullin

Posted by: dcsween | June 7, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Can you say anything about player interactions; who is looking good; players who have made good plays

Posted by: Harold C | June 7, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, Gents, it looks like my plans to slip out for a drink have come to an end... what can I say, the bad guys have sharks with laser beams.

I'll be thinking of you while I watch a small band of 8-year-olds melt through a soccer game. Well, no so much you as the cold drinks in your hands.

Posted by: cload & daggar | June 7, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Harold C,

"Good plays" in organized team activities, where they're not even wearing pads and are installing a new offense? Seems to me like that's a bit premature.

What will probably happen is in the next two weeks is that three guys you've never heard of will be cut and three guys you've never heard of will be signed to replace them. Maybe four, maybe two. But that's about all that will come of two weeks of OTAs.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 7, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the geekfest is underway.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey BigMurf08, how about we skip the bar and the game and just twist up a big fat blunt!!!!

Posted by: 420 Forever! | June 7, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Important temperatures on this day.

Nate (not in the PDX) - 95+ sunny
The PDX - 59 cloudy

Posted by: Coco Muffin | June 7, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Poking my head out of the flood of end of the year stuff to say hope all are having a good time at the shabingus and that po'ed in DC finds happiness.

OTA's producing nothing 'interesting' which I shall take as a good sign except the Springs thing.

Posted by: sfskin | June 7, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

balls deep

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

It's so nice to see that our resident adolescent and sexually-ambiguous moron anon is here once again to drop in his unrealized fantasies on yet another weekend. (Quite the social life you have there, Junior.)

Posted by: Grandpa Jefferson | June 7, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry about Springs, sfskin. He'll bounce back - just you wait and see.

Posted by: Grandpa Jefferson | June 7, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow...just wow! The Nats lost it 6-0, in only 2 hrs 19 mins. Had I known they were going to make it quick and painless, I might have reconsidered. I once witnessed the Os lose once in 1:51. I've heard Anthems that took longer than that.

Huge thanks to Nate for putting it all together, and great to meet the new people...P, Future 21132, LH, Dorf, Redskirt & Hubby, Shock & Wife, T-E, Dan 4-12 .250, Alex 35332, ChrIs LArry & Bro, Lisa, the man himself JLC. And of course the regs: EF Adam, Coat, Cindy.

Apologies to those I've forgotten. Missed ya 4th, jm220, Barno (the huglessness was palpable), Anon, Sir Anon, Sir Anon the Great One.

Did I mention thanks to Nate? Geekfest...only two letters away from Beerfest.

Posted by: SMACK | June 7, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

SMACK in Pink Romo,
Thanks for the shabing...thing.

still stuck on the stump.

Posted by: Stumped | June 7, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Drinking something Maroon.

Posted by: Stumped | June 7, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

SMACK in Pink Romo,
Thanks for the shabing...thing.

still stuck on the stump.

Posted by: Stumped | June 7, 2008 10:38 PM

Sorry Stumped, I've put on a few pounds and I just couldn't wriggle into it, no matter how hard I tried.

Posted by: SMACK | June 7, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Hello? Boobies?

Boobies...boobies...boobies...

BOOBIES!!

Posted by: I Like Boobies | June 7, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

SMACK you've given me a chance to visualize a big pink, well, you get the idea.

Hope you guys pound the beer till, well, you know JLC hurls or somethin.

Posted by: Stumped | June 7, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

SHABINGUS!

Posted by: Dorf | June 8, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

It's almost that time of year again.
Be careful lads, this link is not for the faint of heart.

It could be worse; it could be Casey's Rabachs.

The things we fans must endure. I think I rather watch the Skins fail on 4th and goal than see another shorts shot. Argh!
(sorry Adam)

Posted by: Stumped | June 8, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Those of you recovering from the Bingus, beware the above link...

Cooley mentions the "equipment manager" but clearly he left it in is locker. All you see is junk.

Posted by: Stumped | June 8, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Saturday might GLog BLathering.
And indeed it has.

Posted by: Stumped | June 8, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight boobies...I'm glad you're here.

Posted by: I Like Boobies | June 8, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

"You're only as pretty as you feel."
Grace Slick

Posted by: Stumped | June 8, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Smack did a great job with the roll call above. The only names I can remember that the omitted were Sween and MV Dame. I could probably remember a few more but the place was loud and I'm hard of hearing anyway so when I read his roll call I said "Oh, that's what his name was" to a couple of them. I may have gotten Sween and MV Dame wrong. I feel stupid when I have to ask people to repeat their names more than three times. Who knows? I thought some guy said he was Dan Snyder. He was probably saying "Anon."

Anyway, for those of you who weren't there and are curious, I can say that most of the people look like you imagine us. All the women are major babes and all the men are not.

Hats off to Nate for making it happen! He is, in person, the same consummate and generous host he is on the blog -- welcoming everyone, giving them a souvenir Shabingus pin (I just sold mine on eBay for $350) and handing them a virtual beer. I'm sure he would have handed them a real beer, but some of these guys would have drunk him out of his return ticket to the PDX, but I'm not naming names here and even if I did I probably heard it wrong.

It was a great time although I did have to let my secret out of the bag to my wife. "How much time are you spending doing this? You actually know some of these people by their names? You want to meet someone named 'Dealer?' PDiddy's going to be there? MV Dame is a boy?" Etc.

It was such a good time that we should do it again soon! Let's plan on next Saturday at Jasno's new house. 3:30. Who's got the address?

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I forgot: Thanks not only to Nate but also to everyone else who showed up! I'll see you all again next Saturday at Jasno's!

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

A very pleasant evening, thanks to all, except to the Caps who appeared on the field at the top of the 8th inning. No helmet sundaes for you!

Startling fact #8902: Though the "Dame" in MVDame indeed refers to Notre Dame, he never actually attended that school. Also, his innate ability to identify the post count EXACTLY remains super double top secret (which means he didn't tell me either).

Posted by: dcsween | June 8, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to say it was great to meet you all last night! Nate, thanks so much for setting up the Happy Hour (and the game).

Posted by: Lisa | June 8, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Guys, I wasn't able to make it to RFD. I got to the ball park @ 7:15 and my phone died. I had no way to contact anyone. So, I just went ahead and brought a standing room $5 ticket and tried to find you guys.

(Proof I was there, Highlights of the night are as follows:
*Wave your cap
*Teddy won the race but was disqaulified for using a powered scooter
*Rap/Hip Hop has invaded baseball
*That's about it. The game was boring.)

I tried for maybe 5-6 innings to see if I could find you guys. But no succees. Probably because I was drunk out of my mind. Everyone I saw with Redskin parphanelia (sp?) on was on their own.

Anyway sorry about that guys. I didn't realize it would be soo packed in that joint. I thought I would have found y'all easily...........

Posted by: 4th | June 8, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Omitting Sween and MVDame. The Shame! Big Brown was there too, for about 23 seconds. Those drunken roll calls are risky. Now time to watch Federer get his ass kicked on clay again. Not the best ever.

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

4th, ya bum. But I am enjoying the image of you staggering around the Big Nat accosting anyone wearing Redskins gear. That's good stuff.

Next Saturday at Jasno's? Lost in the mail, I'm sure.

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

What section were you guys in? I was concentrating my search around the 400-300 section of the 3rd baseline........

Posted by: 4th | June 8, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sorry 4th, baseball is like watching old people do tai chi. I took a pass. You should have just looked for Nate's lambchops, which look tremendous by the way. I wish I could pull that off.

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | June 8, 2008 9:23 AM

Let me try to understand this. There were 31,000 people at the game and you were looking for a party of about 12, none of whom you'd ever met before? The clue was going to be that they were wearing Redskins gear which, in fact, most of us weren't.

I know how to recognize you: I just found your picture in the dictionary -- "optimist." Or maybe, "drunk out of his gourd."

Sorry we missed you, 4th. Next Saturday at Jasno's we'll all meet up again.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm not much of a poster here on the blog, but I just wanted to thank Nate for the ice cream (with sprinkles!) in the little baseball helmet. The ice cream was most excellent and reminded me of when I was a kid and we use to get those same little helmets. You rock!

Posted by: Walk The Line | June 8, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Rog! Now there's enough time to go out and get a gallon of coffee before the futbol starts. And isn't there an NBA Finals game on tonight?

Being a hopeless loser is seriously Miss Underrated.

Lisa, I have $3.16 left in my account. What's the over-under tonight?

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Let me add my thanks to Nate for setting up the get-together. I enjoyed meeting all who came; a friendly and gregarious group. It certainly was a good time. My wife was astounded that I came home with a pin commemorating the event.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | June 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry we missed you, 4th. Next Saturday at Jasno's we'll all meet up again.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 10:01 AM

Audacitarian

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Reports of my drunken demise were greatly exaggerated. And, now it's on to BWI. I hope they have a Starbucks.

Great to meet everyone last night. Thanks to MV Dame for taking me along for the ride later that evening. I think I drank my weight in booze. Thanks especially to Nate for organizing the whole affair. And thanks to Jasno and Cindy for coming out and meeting us.

"Wait a second. You're going to fly all the way to the east coast to meet a bunch of people you met on the Internet?"

Posted by: P Diddy | June 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the MLB helmet cups were a Baskin Robbins promotion back in the late 80s. I am proud to say that I collected all of them and equally proud to say that I have no idea where they are now.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 8, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"What'll it be, hon?"

Posted by: BWI Starbucks | June 8, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

4th, I think we were either in 420 or 240 ... we were almost directly underneath the superamazingly fantastic jumbotron (or so it would appear when viewed from anywhere else in the stadium other than where we were sitting). We were the ones heckling the Giants' rightfielder ... it was hilarious, except that the guy's hearing wasn't very good ... or that we weren't that funny.

On a related note, Nate rocks.

Posted by: dcsween | June 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to all who showed up! And major kudos to Nate for organizing it (I got $475 for my button on ebay...). What a cool group of people, as one would have expected by the hamster-like ramblings here. My only disappointment was learning that MV Dame is no longer keeping track of the blog count. Smack is totes right about the old people/tai chi thing; I only watch bezball on SportsCenter. Fourth, why didn't you make like a lost child and just have Nate paged?

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, my prediction is a Lakers win tonight..by 10.

Posted by: Lisa | June 8, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

DCSween, glad to see you made it home alright.
PD-Thanks for the drink at Fado later that night.
It was real cool meeting everyone. Who would have thought everyone was so normal.
NitPDX great work organizing.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I like it Lisa, I like it.

(Redcoat goes hustling for a bookie.)

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Could you please post Jasno's address? Thanks. See you at his house next Saturday.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 1:47 PM

Alex, were we at the same shabingus? The one that I went to had a few normal people (eg. you and me), but a few might be described as exceptional, special, unusual or maybe paranormal.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Damn ghost and aliens.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The biggest no-show at the shabingus was Big Brown.

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Alex: it's a group of nice, personable, creative, fun people who happen to look good in maroon and black. Where was Barno??? Did he show???

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is he did not.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

What was the total head count?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The biggest no-show at the shabingus was Big Brown.

Where was Barno??? Did he show???

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:39 PM

Make that Big Barno. He pulled up, and finished dead last. Got there about 40 minutes after the others left. The vets are still trying to figure out what his problem is.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

His trainer had boldly predicted he'd be the first to arrive.

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

:-(

Posted by: Chia Pet | June 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think PDiddy saw him at the Hillary event at the National Building Museum. He said Barno was pretty choked up when Hillary had to withdraw from the race, so it's understandable Big Barno couldn't make it to the Post.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ch-ch-ch-chia!

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

3.5

Posted by: Anonymous | June 8, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I would say at any time between 15-30

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would say at any time between 15-30

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 4:26 PM

The count was closer to 50 at one time, but you had to know who the anons were. Mostly they were in disguises, like Nats caps, such as.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 8, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Only annons I noticed were the people walking around with bags on there heads.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 8, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think the anons were serving us. They had those cutesy t-shirts that said "The Beeriodic Chart of the Elements." The bag heads, at least at my fraternity, were the ugly girls with the hot bodies.

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Bag Heads = Butter face

Everything is nice, but her face (butter face)....lol

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | June 8, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The biggest no-show at the shabingus was Big Brown.

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:34 PM

Winged Unicorn sent his regrets as well.

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tester | June 8, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Test, you have passed the test.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 8, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

That was addressed to tester, not test.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 8, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, you and me are gonna have words.

Posted by: SMACK | June 8, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Now that's darn impressive.

In a totally unhinged way, of course. But still impressive.

Posted by: farstriker | June 8, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

SMACK,
Was it you and Lisa that were suppose to have dinner?

Or was it someone else?

Posted by: Stumped | June 9, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

SMACK...I may have been a bit "off" tonight with my prediction....actually I was WAY OFF until the last few minutes.

Posted by: Lisa | June 9, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Dang. I was right above you guys then for a few innings at those lunch tables that sit right against the actual seats.....

Posted by: 4th | June 9, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

--//BRAVERY\\--

Posted by: Chia Pet | June 9, 2008 3:22 AM | Report abuse

The biggest no-show at the shabingus was Big Brown.

Posted by: Cindy | June 8, 2008 3:34 PM

I hope this is in reference to the horse. That horse is an embarrassment to Brown everywhere...

Looks like I missed a good time on Saturday...maybe I can make the trip next time!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | June 8, 2008 9:01 AM

sween,

Never mind how he did it. Was he willing to tell you why he did it?

Posted by: talent evaluator | June 9, 2008 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Great article on Morrocco Brown.

Posted by: bangkokben | June 9, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that everyone had a good meet up this weekend.

However, imagine my surprise when I got a call this morning saying that my RI Bonus Points account was not only drained this weekend, but a loan of 100,000 bonus points was taken out against it?

Somebody has some splainin to do.....

Posted by: Greg | June 9, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Would that be Big Morocco Brown?

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that everyone had a good meet up this weekend.

Somebody has some splainin to do.....

Posted by: Greg | June 9, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I might have something to do with that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

So should we just assume everyone made it home alive? If you had to place a bet on someone from the weekend passing out in an ally who wins it.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I completely forgot to get a picture of Cindy Boren and me!!!

Lamentations and Grief!

The Dorf is having a hard time abiding.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I completely forgot to get a picture of Cindy Boren and me!!!

Lamentations and Grief!

The Dorf is having a hard time abiding.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 8:49 AM

Any of the Pic's from Saturday on the Wiki?

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I showed up and saw a bunch of nerds playing Dungeons & Dragons. After slapping two of them in the face, I quickly left and hung out at the nearest strip club.

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

No you didn't either. You stayed home in your parents basement, and wished you had more friends.

Posted by: Truth Hurts | June 9, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Haven't uploaded to the computer yet... I wish I took more pictures though.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

By the way Shock, post again some time buddy.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

We used to have a rabbit named Big Daddy Brown.

Posted by: skinfanman | June 9, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

hey it was good meeting everyone! Good times....

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Or was it someone else?

Posted by: Stumped | June 9, 2008 12:28 AM

Ricky Bobby

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

From that same SI article talking negatively about Springs and our beloved Skins. You guessed it, even more love for the Cowgirls! Seriously, they say it's good to give TO a 27 mil extension over three years, and he's 34 years old. LOL

There are two ways to look at the Cowboys decision to reward Terrell Owens with a three-year, $27 million contract extension this week. Some league observers were skeptical of paying that much for a 34-year-old receiver. "Typically, you shy away from paying a premium for older players because their performance has a tendency to fall off dramatically," says an AFC personnel executive. But at least one AFC scout applauded Dallas for paying the guy who makes their offense go, saying, "Conventional wisdom says that you avoid paying an older receiver, but his value to their team is significant and justifies the size of the deal."

Owens, who has an NFL-high 28 touchdown receptions during his two-year tenure with the Cowboys, continues to be one of the top playmakers in the league. He's one reason the Cowboys have ranked near the top of every offensive category the past two seasons. With defenses primarily focused on slowing down Owens with some form of double coverage, the Cowboys' other weapons (Jason Witten, Patrick Crayton and Marion Barber III) have benefited from operating against single coverage or seven-man fronts.

Though his detractors often cite his age (34) and penchant for drops (an NFL-high 24 in past two seasons) as reasons for not making a deal, Owens' superb physical conditioning and dynamic playmaking ability make this a good deal for the Cowboys.

• The Cowboys' insistence on having Terry Glenn sign an injury settlement worth $500,000 makes sense given the veteran receiver's recent injury history.

Glenn, who is due to earn nearly $2 million this season, missed the majority of 2007 because of two knee surgeries. He hadn't practiced with the team during the offseason due to a series of failed physicals. By offering Glenn a "split-contract" (player agrees to take a reduced salary if he finishes the season on injured reserve), the Cowboys are attempting to protect themselves against another injury-riddled season.

"This is a smart business move by the team," said an AFC personnel executive. "When dealing with a veteran player with a significant injury history, you need to take measures to protect the team financially."

Glenn has balked at signing the settlement, but has little leverage. "If he hits the streets, he is likely looking at a 'split-contract' on a veteran minimum contract [$830,000],"said the AFC personnel executive. "This is his best chance to make significant money as a veteran."

Although Glenn has played hardball with the team to date, expect the veteran to agree to some form of an injury settlement prior to training camp.

Posted by: Hizzle | June 9, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

There is an insider Insider joke here somewhere, but I don't completely remember the context except as a random utterance by Nate (or perhaps Learned Hand) ...

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Truth Hurts is most likely one of the guys I slapped. I don't know if he was the one wearing the Micheal Bolton T-shirt or the one dressed like a mime. Don't really care either.

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"Conventional wisdom says that you avoid paying an older receiver, but his value to their team is significant and justifies the size of the deal." - SI article posted by Hizzle

Thinking about this, it sounds like a move of desperation by the Cowboys ... to keep a loud mouth shut and performance high on a team that currently looks understaffed at receiver. Santana Moss was able to pull off being the nearly exclusive focus of secondaries for a while (opening up tons of possibilities for Cooley), and ARE was even able to step up when Moss when down, but ... Witten is no Cooley (at least not any more), Glenn is now "THEN", and everyone else on their receiving corps is either a Mix/Thomas/Kelly (hopefully, at least one steps up) or a Brandon Lloyd v.WAS wannabe.

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

F the truth

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

chris larry can't handle The Truth!

and you better capitalize my name from now on or I'll burn all your Micheal Bolton albums!!

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

bite me truth

Posted by: chris LARRY | June 9, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

bite me truth

Posted by: chris LARRY | June 9, 2008 9:34 AM

Also, Truth, you should know you need to have a really big mouth to bite cL ... and strong sharp teeth, because he is tough as nails ... or, for biting purposes, as tough as hamster jerky ...

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Back in a second guys, my mom is bringing down my breakfast, and I need to hide my blow up doll

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Or was it someone else?

Posted by: Stumped | June 9, 2008 12:28 AM

Ricky Bobby

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 9:14 AM

It couldn't have been me, my ex-wife retained custody of dinner.

I can't see Ricky Bobby having dinner either, since Danny revoked his fingers and toes licenses.

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It was great to meet all of you at the weekend. I have to confess, I was expecting to receive some serious flak over the Fins shirt but you were all gracious enough to let it slide.

Things I took away from the Shabingus:

5. Although as LH said "the internet is a bad place", you have to admit you can also meet some pretty cool people through it too. Whodathunkit?
&. Alex, Redskirt & hubby, Dorf, cL's brother and Jasno all seemed to be about the same age as my kids - when did I get SO darn old??
E. talent_evaluator isn't actually cranky at all; when you meet him face-to-face there's a twinkle in his eye with pretty much everything he says.
2. ALWAYS bet the opposite of SMACK; you'll win millions!
@. I reckon Lisa only has about 2% body fat - for those chumps who have insulted her on here before, you could not be more wrong!
*. I now know who RedMoat is. Your secret is safe with me. Probably.
k. PDiddy is actually just as urbane as you'd think he would be.
#. EaglesFan Adam is just the sort of super-fit over 35 guy I love to kick when we're playing indoor soccer. It always slows them down to my pace. :)
1. Almost every guy on RI has a major blogcrush on Cindy.
L. JM and 4th were sadly missed.
8. I now see why Nate loves Chris Larry so much, I only met him for 5 minutes and I get it.
*. Sween IS funny in person, despite his suggestions here to the contrary.
S. Mark (from the Future) continues to refuse to tell me how the 08/09 season went, which I can only now interpret as meaning the Fins won it all!!

Last but not least. Nate is the sort of guy who is a 'beloved old friend' within 30 seconds of meeting him. You're truly a cool guy Nate, thanks for arranging all this.

Anyone I missed out was not intentional, just yet another sign of my advancing age.

Thanks guys!!

Chris (Redcoat)

P.S. Shame about the Barno no-show, but at least I still got a hug from Cindy and Nate to tide me over.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 9, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

lol @ how easy it is to ruffle the feathers. Micheal Bolton joke seemed to offend him. Too easy.

I'll buy you the Bolton Boxed Set Limited Edition as a peace offering?

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs was partying in NYC all weekend. That's a little off the beaten path from AZ, no?

Posted by: mile high | June 9, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Funny Redcoat, I was gonna say you seemed like my parents age.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

doo doo brown

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm putting my last .16 on Italy today.

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know if any annons went and did the stalker thing.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

My personal highlight was a little new media/old media "inside baseball" chat with Cyn Cyndy!

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

thank gawd for the company...b/c the game was boooooorrrrriiiinnnng....wow just wow, thank Odin for fantasy baseball or summer would suck....

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Man do I love the internet. Otherwise, I'd be a COMPLETE loser.

Posted by: Truth | June 9, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

From Jasno's article today about Morocco Brown:

"Now Brown will help fill the back end of the roster and create an "emergency list" of players to call immediately should injuries occur. He will file reports for free agency and identify players who could be cut by other teams. Brown also will help evaluate Washington's existing talent, and prepare advance scouting reports for all divisional opponents."

ATTENTION MR. BROWN: One word. Corner. Corner. Corner. Corner. Corner. OK, one word, five times.

I see Springs and Smoot ready for the git go, but for the nickel spot (which is something like 45%-60%), the drop off is steep. Popping not one, but two, collateral ligaments, Rogers should not ever be expected to return this season (see Prioleau's drop off this past season). Unless Torrence is on the verge of a HUGE jump ... and Springs remains healthy the entire season ... I already feel fires ablaze on the islands where the Skins put their corners.

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"thank gawd for the company...b/c the game was boooooorrrrriiiinnnng ... wow just wow ..."

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 9:58 AM

"A very pleasant evening, thanks to all, except to the Caps who appeared on the field at the top of the 8th inning. ...."

Posted by: dcsween | June 8, 2008 9:01 AM

Someone tried to tell me that it was the Nats, rather than the Caps, on the field at the top of the 8th inning. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 9, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

that last one was me

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

dont sleep on my man Leigh Torrence as nickel CB....word out of the park is the D staff luves this kid, and he got some good exp last season....

Posted by: chris larry | June 9, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Cload. What happened to Cload?

Was it something to do with last week's exploding trees?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 9, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"Brown will help fill the back end"

Word choice?

Cload got soccered out of the blathering.

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

That's a shame, it must have been pretty grim going to be out in that on Saturday afternoon...

Posted by: Redcoat | June 9, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I also still have faith in Westbrook. Worst case we move one of the 900 SS we picked up down to CB.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Barno, you owe me a hug.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know if any annons went and did the stalker thing.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 9:55 AM

All I will say is that I was there (both at RFD and the game) and interacted with all of you. It appears that my identity remains a mystery.

Posted by: Sir Anonymous the Great | June 9, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Heyaaaa,

Well from RedCoat's account it looks like the Shabingus was a big success. Wish I could been by. 'Twas in Ocala however..

Being in horse country brought up a lot of discussion about the 3ple Crown. I heard my favorite quote about it this morning: The Horse can't talk... lol. Captain Obvious strikes again!

Also, in spending time w/ my in-laws (to be) who as you may remember are DALLAS FANS (eeegh.), there was suprising little discussion of the upcoming season.

I think they may be a little worried in facing the unknown that is Zorn. With a quantifiable auld skewler, they were quick to point out what they believed our shortcomings were last season. (And yet they went no further than we did in the playoffs - hey, at least we won a game!) But this offseason about all they could muster in jibe was "Hey, how about that Terrell Owens extension?" (my silent answer: that's almost as bad as rHomo's GF's hair extensions...)

While I'm not really thinking we're playoff material this year, I truly have no idea how we'll do - so I may as well anticipate good things!

...Hail!

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | June 9, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I remember something about Torrence's dad having been a pro (Falcons?) ... and he was one of the guys who showed up big time in the last four games ... hopefully their is enough film for teaching. I would LOVE if another undrafted guy makes the starting roster (I consider the nickel corner, the kickers, PK holder, the #2 QB, and the long snapper to be starters).

In other news, remember Cooley's short shorts from the beginning of last season? On his blog, his brother posted a youtube of an ENTIRE teams (the 1982 Seahawks) in those same short shorts ... and makes some predictions about Zorn's return to short shorts glory. http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/

Posted by: dcsween | June 9, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing was Cindy "had to go" as soon as I got there.

Also, I think we could field a competitive flag football team. Some of the regs were long in the tooth (papa Redcoat), but I really was expecting more "Comic Book Guy" characters there. Seriously, at 6'2" I was feeling short talking to some folks (except CL and Jasno).

The Dorf abides.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Dorf.
We could field a team, but the problem is half the team is out of the region. And how many here have "talent" Other then TE who gets to be our team GM.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 9, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

[the AMAZING Dik Shuttle] stops to look up at the trees.

5-10 here - but I make up for it in gut size!

Posted by: Dik | June 9, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sir Anonymous the Great | June 9, 2008 10:33 AM

You owe Redcoat, Future and me for your burger and side salad. Cash only. No bonus points. And for god sake no hugs.

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

BEEEEEEEEEEP

Posted by: SMACK | June 9, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The Dorf abides.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 10:43 AM

Hey Dorf, I can run the 40 in about 5 minutes! So I can play anything but corner and WR!

No, but at 6'2", 258 lbs, I'm sure I'd be relegated to the line.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep!

Posted by: Roadrunner | June 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Barno, you owe me a hug.

Posted by: Dorf | June 9, 2008 10:29 AM

I apologize to you, Dorf. However, there were a few on the blog who indicated that my presence would be offensive so I reluctantly (stabbing threats, notwithstanding) decided to not attend.

The real disappointing part was that the guy who complains the most on here about me being "hateful" (even though my hate is with philosophies and agendas), was the one who hated on me (personally) the most.

Posted by: Barno | June 9, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse