Schweigert and Moore Back at Work (Updated)

The Redskins are on the field for the morning practice and Jason La Canfora calls with this update from the field:

Shawn Springs continues to take reps at safety and Stuart Schweigert and Kareem Moore are in pads and practicing in 11-on-11 work. Khary Campbell continues to work in Rocky McIntosh's spot during team drills.

Zarnell Fitch, signed by the team Monday, has indeed been waived. The team has signed another defensive lineman, but he is not practicing yet. We'll get the details after practice.

...

Carlos Rogers and Rocky McIntosh are in uniform, but the team continues to make sure they don't overdo it.

H.B. Blades is scheduled to have arthroscopic knee surgery today.

The following usual suspects are not in pads and are working with athletic trainers: Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Anthony Mix, LaRon Landry, Erasmus James and Chris Wilson.

Others missing from practice are Anthony Montgomery and Rian Wallace, both of whom had hand surgery Monday; and Eric Shelton, who has shoulder and neck problems.

By Cindy Boren  |  July 29, 2008; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Unrestricted: July 29
Next: Campbell Is Red Hot, Blades Has Surgery

Comments

Speedos

Posted by: pulldownclaw | July 29, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

padded nads

Posted by: nads guy | July 29, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Good one, claw.

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get through today without any injuries.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm callin it right here. In the next 3 days, a starter will be lost for the season. Just watch...I hope I'm wrong, but a clairvoyant tranny from the south block told me it would happen...I can see it happening.

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 29, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I WILL NOT BE OVERSHADOWED!!!!!!!!

Speedos?

over sped nads

Posted by: nads guy | July 29, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

This place is slower than Romo's girlfriend.

Posted by: Just Sayzin is all... | July 29, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

This place is slower than the Todd avoiding the Seattle pass rush. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

So, was Zarnell only signed as part of our continuing drive to have as many zees as possible?

Whither Zeron Flemister, I ask?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I want to give my two cents on something real quick...

I'm still reading blogger comments about JC's lack of "Football IQ"..."he's too slow for the offense"..."Collins has a better Football IQ"...

I'm going to play the race card here so if you don't want to hear it then scroll down...

This is rascist bull....Anyone who has been to training camp would not put Todd Collins in the same sentence with Campbell. He's the one who has not caught up with the speed of the offense. He looks confused and threw many balls into the dirt. I have nothing against Collins, he played well down the stretch last year which a backup does. We all know that Campbell has growing to do. He has made bad decisions just like every white and black QB, but what about the Manning brothers? Didn't they struggle with reads. People were ready to run Ely Manning out of town...

It's one thing the say that Campbell makes slow reads or plays slow...that's honest football criticism, but to say he can't play the position because he's slow is a rascist statement.

Campbell needs to play well for the Skins to have any chance of making the playoffs. He's got weapons and he has the tools, it's on him now, but give the kid a break....

Oh...by the way, if Brett Favre were black, would he even have a chance to be in the Hall with a TD/INT ratio like his?

C'mon be honest....

Posted by: sicwidit | July 29, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

RC, that wound might be too fresh to start picking at...lol

Posted by: Greg | July 29, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

sic, I couldn't agree more!

Posted by: mike lighty | July 29, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Uh... Am I the only one who has no clue what sicwidit is trying to say? Worst. Race card argument. Ever.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist. Anyone else see that section in "Real Sports with Giant Bumble" last night on Parcells?

What amazed me - apart from the fact that the guy has ZERO life outside of football, of course - is that he looks really old now. He's also got those 'interesting' way-too-large teeth that are probably either veneers or that he pops into a glass of water on the bedside table every night.

I thought Andrea Kremer did a great job of asking him the tough questions and didn't let him dodge them. Sadly though, the rest of the show was presented by Bryant Gumbel...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

sicwidit, I'm with you for the most part, dude... always makes me uncomfortable when I hear these criticisms that Campbell is slow or stupid...

I've been slammed for saying so before, but I think on some level it's because he's a black Southerner. There's as much of a (conscious or unconscious) anti-Southern bias at work here as anything else.

But then I'm a bleeding-heart liberal so blah blah blah...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 29, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 29, 2008 9:54 AM

Completely agree here. Even though I love Campbell and truly think he will be a very good, if not great, QB, those types of comments are just disappointing to read.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see race as being an argument for calling someone "slow".

That being said, I don't believe he is slow at all so that in general is a false comment but to blame it on racism seems to be a little far-fetched unless i missed something.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

This place is slower than the Todd avoiding the Seattle pass rush. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 9:45 AM

LMAO!

sicwidit I agree 100% and believe that the base of Dealer dislike of JC.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat, you don't think Jerry Jones' handlers got hold of Parcells in Dallas, do you? Wasn't there a sort of Tuna makeover while he was down there at Valley Ranch, with weight loss, hair bleaching, teeth frightening, that sort of thing?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 29, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Sadly though, the rest of the show was presented by Bryant Gumbel...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 9:58 AM

Lol.

That Parcell interview was interesting. I had a friend over last night who doesn't follow football. We were watching and was like, "Wow that guy is really cranky what's the matter with him?" to which I responded...."He's Bill Parcells"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Not a fan of your team (but I enjoy your comments and banter), but I will say that I don't believe that it's a matter of Soup being slow, but the OBVIOUS factor of him having to learn a new offense every year. Seriously, the "great" QBs stay in the same offense every year. Last night, the NFLN replayed a playoff game where Farve threw a horrible interception w/something like 3 mins left. Last year, HE cost his team a chance to go to the SB. Finally, I think many Southerners get a bad rap b/c of their diction and (what's a good euphemism for slow?) "relaxed" speaking style.

Posted by: Anonymous RI Regular | July 29, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I won't go into the race issue, but the Favre thing is pretty interesting to me. That guy is an interception machine. Defensive coordinators - and I have two relatives who are defensive assistants in the league - absolutely LOVE to face Favre because they know he's going to simply throw a few up there for grabs.

I still think that the resurgence of the Packers was a result of the house that Holmgren built, not Favre. And the main reason they did so well last year was because McCarthy did the smart thing and limited Favre's options in the offense, keeping things to a minimum, to the basics (slants, etc). He's just not that good a quarterback. Never has been. He's tough as he11, I'll definitely give him that, but he's not even close to being in the league of elite quarterbacks like Marino, Elway or Montana. Not even close.

PS - if you never hear from me again, it's because John Madden sent NFL Security to take me out.

Posted by: Carl | July 29, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Sic, I think you are right that many posts made here and other places against Jason Campbell are racially motivated, but I don't think you can ascribe all of them to that bias.

For example, I would say that Heath Shuler was about as slow a quarterback as I ever saw. Same goes for Gus Frerotte. Joey Harrington manages to combine the lightness of touch of a classically pianist with the antsiness of Naomi Campbell waiting for someone to give her her cellphone and the infamous dimness of the departed Princess Diana.

Does that somehow make me "anti-white"?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

LMAO! RC you got to stop. You are going to get me into trouble.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

RC, as a matter of fact it does. You racist bastard!!!!

Posted by: Greg | July 29, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Nice post Anon RI Regular.

I think in terms of making decisions in the Al Saunders O that JC was slower then Collins.

I'd defy anyone to say that JC looks slower or has less Football IQ after watching any training camp session this offseason though. Heck Racist wouldn't cover that condition. I'd say legally blind and ignorant of football would be prereqs for such a conclusion.

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | July 29, 2008 10:02 AM

You may be right Nate. That said, he's put all of those pounds back - and more - since he came to Miami. He now seems to wear those pants where the waistband fits snugly into the armpits giving him a "weeble" look.

I love what he's done/doing for the Fins, but I get the impression that he has nothing whatsoever to do with himself now that the roster is mostly built and the coaches are busy coaching.

He tried to defend that by saying he wasn't interested in coaching any more, but he really did strike a very sad note when he talked about Romo's blown snap and how he can't go through that any more.

It almost sounded like the coaching equivalent of "no mas".

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hello everyone,

As some of you know, I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for about an hour on his visit to "The War Zone". I wanted to share with you what happened.

He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram. As the Soldiers were lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball. He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service.

So really he was just here to make a showing for the American's back home that he is their candidate for President. I think that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here you would thank those that are providing the freedom that they are providing for you. I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States. I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.

If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I wanted you all to know what kind of caliber of person he really is. What you see in the news is all fake.

HTTR!

In service,

CPT Jeffrey S. Porter

Battle Captain

TF Wasatch

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice that the "links" session of the official redskins blog put RI on it after a day or two and now it's been taken off. I guess they don't like our kind.

Posted by: Just sayzin is all... | July 29, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I always brake for Parcells interviews. I miss those on Mondays and, while I know the feelings about the Ravens up here, I always enjoyed Brian Billick's pressers, too. Those were Monday's must-see TV for me.
Do you remember Parcells' list of QB commandments? They were great and, typically, he had 11 of 'em.

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Carl | July 29, 2008 10:08 AM

Really?? Marino?

Marino: cmp% 59.4, 61361yds, 420 TDs, 252 INTs, passer rating 86.4

Favre: cmp% 61.4, 61655 yds, 442 TDs, 288 INTs, passer rating 85.7

And Brett Favre has 2 SB appearances (to Marino's 1), 1 SB ring (to Marino's 0), 3 MVPs (to Marino's 1), and he has the all-time record for consecutive starts by a QB (by far).

Not in Marino's league??? Get out of here.

I guess that makes me somewhat racist too.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Cpt. Porter,

Having just covered racism I think I'll skip the politics today but I do want to thank you for your service and sacrifice so I can sit at my comp and blog all day.

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Don't feel bad, Capt Porter. He totally blew off his scheduled visit to see the injured service men in Germany.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Bill Parcells' QB commandments:

Quarterback commandments:
1. Ignore other opinions - Press or TV, agents or advisors, family or wives, friends or relatives, fans or hangers on - ignore them on matters of football, they don't know what's happening here.
2. Clowns can't run a huddle - don't forget to have fun but don't be the class clown. Clowns and leaders don't mix. Clowns can't run a huddle.
3. Fat QBs can't avoid the rush - A quarterback throws with his legs more than his arm. Squat and run.
4. Know your job cold - this is not a game without errors. Keep yours to a minimum. Study.
5. Know your own players - Who's fast? Who can catch? Who needs encouragement? Be precise. Know your opponent.
6. Be the same guy every day - in condition. Preparing to lead. Studying your plan. A coach can't prepare you for every eventuality. Prepare yourself and remember, impulse decisions usually equal mistakes.
7. Throwing the ball away is a good play - sacks, interceptions and fumbles are bad plays. Protect against those.
8. Learn to manage the game - personnel, play call, motions, ball handling, proper reads, accurate throws, play fakes. Clock. Clock. Clock. Don't you ever lose track of the clock.
9. Get your team in the end zone - passing stats and TD passes are not how you're going to be judged. Your job is to get your team in the end zone and that is how you will be judged.
10. Don't panic - when all around you is in chaos, you must be the hand that steers the ship. If you have a panic button so will everyone else. Our ship can't have a panic button.
11. Don't be a celebrity QB - we don't need any of those. We need battlefield commanders that are willing to fight it out, every day, every week and every season and lead their team to win after win after win.

Romo may have lost track of some of these...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Sicwidit is correct. that mental stigma is usually associated with black QB's. especially their wonderlic scores, they dont harp on the white QB's scores that much. to prove it go look up John Elways score. excellent point about favre TD/INT ratio. they never talk about his INT's.

Some people will never see it, just like being a man it might be hard for me to see the glass ceiling for a woman, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The Truth thinks those stupid racist comments are just that, stupid. The Truth hasn't noticed ANYONE saying JC is stupid compared to Todd Collins since training camp started. The Truth would also like to note that JC's black teammates joke with him about not being that smart and being a "slow southerner". The Truth says that all southerners are "slow" in the yankee term and The Truth loves being "slow". The Truth says that means laid back, not retarded.

The Truth says that the race card does nothing but enforce prejudice.

Posted by: The Truth | July 29, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else want to 'out' themselves as hating WHITEY??

So far we have PSP, and RC..

Posted by: Greg | July 29, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

one of the smartest posts The Truth has ever provided.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Nice comparison psp..I do agree, those that say Favre is really not that good because his INTs should think again. That just means he has some guts to try things he shouldn't...sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Don't trust whitey"

I almost fell of my seat when my wife showed me The Jerk a few years back. It never got to the UK. What a great movie.

"I'm gonna git me a gun and k*ll all the whiteys I see..."

Garrett Morris was great on SNL, but he mostly seemed to get the 'token' parts, I think he has a claim for being a victim of racism.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The Truth asks The Great One to name one other QB beside Vince Young that had his Wunderlic (sp) scores harped on? The Truth cannot think of one.

The Truth can also not think of one white QB who was praised for his Wunderlic scores.

The Truth says people can find racism in anything if they think about it 24-7.

Posted by: The Truth | July 29, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Whether JCampbell can play in the NFL is a fair question and certainly debate fodder. However, Jalaca spent time with him and his family in Taylorsville, Miss., after he was drafted; JReid has spent time with him, as have Mike Wise and the Steinz. JCampbell is smart, funny and engaging.

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey Truth, I never got that email from you. Are you too chicken to join the RI fantasy league? :)

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Just a little curious redcoat, how many do you guys get in that fantasy league of yours?

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here! ... This is the kind of spontaneous publicity -- your name in print -- that makes people! [I shout this every year when, you know, the new phone books are here.]

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:27 AM

And that was for Marino - one of the best passing QBs ever.

Let me add Elway's TD/INT ratio as well.

Elway: 300 TDs, 226 INTs, career passer rating of 79.9

Not in Elway's league either?

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I just heard a song on the radio that reminded me of the way we were.
What was it?
"The Way We Were."

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Cyn, Mike Wise's article got me so pumped for the cut throat punting competition that I just have to know...who's going to take the job?

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM

We had space for 20, 17 have signed up, 2 more are supposed to be signing up today (JM?) and the last slot may be up for grabs soon.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Are you trying to call me out RC? LOL

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

... the cut throat punting competition ...

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:39 AM

I say make them each take turns in punting until one of them either drops dead or his leg falls off. Winner takes all, including the other guy's salary and/or wife, children, house, car, that sort of thing.

Sort of "celebrity deathpunt". I know Sween would buy beaucoup tickets, anyone else?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:39 AM

I figured you could get a pretty big league going in here that's why i thought i'd ask.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Are you trying to call me out RC? LOL

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:40 AM

I am indeed JM. I've been playing in goal lately at soccer (Our goalkeeper broke his thumb. Twice. The things some people do to avoid keeping goal) so I've put enough p;ounds back on to be above your 220, so you need to sign up or I'll come sit in your chair and break it!! :)

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I think they should just get on a field and punt to each other for a couple hours. That way they learn how to catch punts too...there will be no problems catching any snaps if they can do that.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM

Here's further proof that a couple of Bloody Mary's for breakfast is not always a good thing.

Posted by: Jose Cuervo | July 29, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

LMAO! I will take of it tonight after the gym RC

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

He's shooting at the cans!! He hates the cans!!!

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The Truth is NOT a chicken! The Truth was playing NCAA College Football yesterday getting his and trying to get his undefeated Georgia Bulldogs back to the National Championship game to avenge his 1-point loss to THE Ohio State University last year (in game time).

The Truth will be on top of it today! And The Truth hasn't played FF in a couple years so he will be rusty, but no doubt prevail in the end!

Posted by: The Truth | July 29, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:36 AM

Posted by: Jose Cuervo | July 29, 2008 10:44 AM

It's from the movie afformentioned by RC.

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

chris larry micheal

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

At least I know where to come for some ff advice during the year. Won it last year but got a little lucky with Kevin Curtis having a good game at the end of the year with recovering a fumble in the endzone.

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

larry michael jordan

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

chris larry micheal

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 10:48 AM

Posted by: I think not. | July 29, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

michael jordan palmer

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

George Michael Bluth?

Posted by: G.O.B. | July 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Pretty soon, noted editorialist and bon vivant TheCindy will break out into Cindi Lauper songs. Anyone have any long distance requests?

Posted by: Casey Kasem | July 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Truth Hurts

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Brooks in the deathpunt, but only because his leg still has more elasticity.
You KNOW the NFL is gonna find a way to measure that.

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey, brother.

Posted by: Buster Bluth | July 29, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The Truth wonders aloud if The Truth is the only one that thinks Erasmus James will be a very valuable pickup and make a huge impact on the team not only this year but for years to come!?!

Posted by: The Truth | July 29, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Fine, I try to lighten things up with two little quotes from "The Jerk" and I get accused of being liquored up and knowing the Cyndi Lauper songbook.
Kudos for the "Arrested Development" comment, btw.

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I can see Cyn running around the office singing "Time After Time". lol

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

You heard it first here...Cyn is sponsoring the leagues first deathpunt competitions...

Posted by: svxcountry | July 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I would take Reed Richards if it comes to elasticity of the leg.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

So an economist might describe Frosty as "inelastic"?

Posted by: Where's TE? | July 29, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Chris Larry Brown

Posted by: Adam | July 29, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Look what they've done, Michael. Look what the homosexuals have done to me.

Posted by: Lucille | July 29, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I believe that Ben Grimm is looking for a vet-min contract to play Guard again too. His pulling isn't what it was but he's still a great pass protector...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

You can't just... comb that out and re-set it?

Posted by: Michael | July 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Chris Hamburger Helper

Posted by: Anyone can play this stupid game | July 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.

Posted by: Navin Johnson | July 29, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

This is why registration has to come back!

Posted by: Wow | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The next shabingus HAS to be at a Karaoke Bar. And TheCindy's bar bill will be covered, as will her transportation home - anything to hear her sing. (Cyndi Lauper tunes? The Redskins Fight Song? The Ballad of Mike and Tony? Kansas City Blues?)

Posted by: A microphone and no turntables | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The cancellation of Arrested Development not once but twice, was to me, the most clear evidence of American Society's descent into mediocrity.

(Well that and it's overuse of commas, improper use of capital letters and mispellings)

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit."

Posted by: Navin Johnson | July 29, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

In light of the tone of the recent posts:

"I was born a poor, black child."

Steve Martin, The Jerk.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | July 29, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I remember Heath Shuler getting killed in the press for having a low Wonderlic score. He's not black...but I do believe he is a Southerner...hmmmm...

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

... Kansas City Blues?

Posted by: A microphone and no turntables | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM

You HAD to go and bring up Herman Edwards again didn't you? You couldn't leave it alone. Now look what you've done to TheCindy, you've made her cry.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

jordan palmer johnson

Posted by: coincidence? | July 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

George Sr.: ...this is my vacation, Michael.
Michael: You're doing time, dad.
George Sr.: I'm doing the time... of my life!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Gob: I can't. I already lost a brother today.
Michael: Franklin?
Gob: Well, I didn't lose him, but he's all puckered and white.
Michael: On the plus side, you can take him to lunch at the club now.
Gob: [sobbing] That's the exact kind of joke he would have loved! (Singing) You know it's true. Everything I do...
Michael: Please don't do this.
Gob: ...I do it for you. [embraces Michael and forces him to kiss GOB's cheek]

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm an ideas man, Michael! I think I proved that with "F*** Mountain"!

Posted by: G.O.B. | July 29, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM

I'm puzzled by this statement Skinz; I thought it was only supposed to run for 3 years 5 months and 2 days?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

This is rascist bull....

Posted by: sicwidit | July 29, 2008 9:48 AM

-----------

Not so much!

Choose your words carefully. Nothing "racist," implicitly or explicitly about expressing an OPINION about Jason Campbell's ability to lead this team.

Johnny Cochrane lives and he's blogging on RI under the handle "sicwidit."

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:24 AM

How should I know. I'm just everyday people.

Posted by: Skinz | July 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

You know that was the song Skinz.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

These hamstrings would be avoidable if the players would just drink apple cider vinegar every day. Just mix two tablespoons of ACV into 8 ounces of water and stir in a tablespoon of honey. Especially on a hot day. This would head off cramps as well.

Posted by: The Healer | July 29, 2008 9:15 AM

Also, stick with this regularly and you'll never be constipated. Au contraire. Just never be further than a 45 second sprint from a toilet.

Posted by: Mull It | July 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Truth says that the race card does nothing but enforce prejudice.

Posted by: The Truth | July 29, 2008 10:25 AM

----------

The Truth has redeemed himself and has earned the respect of a certain clay figurine.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Skinz, I'm just trying to present a United Front.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

you know we should look at all these injuries in the light of "we are just getting them out of the way early on"

Posted by: Buckley | July 29, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

C'mon be honest....

Posted by: sicwidit | July 29, 2008 9:48 AM

----------

huh?

Someone decided to milk the race cow and it's spurting out udder nonsense.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Why wont people accept that there are still racial issues in america, and you dont deal with them by not talking about them, you deal with them by talking about them openly. most prejudices are formed from peope having a lack of knowledge about someone or something.

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I sorta hoped we'd moved on from that discussion Chia, but flog away!

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, stepped away from the computer for a couple hours and the blog goes to hell! Where do I start?

1) I doubt that Jason Campbell's critics are all racist. I'm sure it comes into play to some, but there are several black QBs that have been highly romanticized (see McNabb, Donovan and Vick, Michael) by the national media. So I don't totally buy that.

2) I doubt that military guy who posted about Barack Obama is real. Of all places to post something about a guy running for president, you choose the Redskins blog on the Washington Post? Seriously? And you don't know what Obama's itinerary was like; you're talking about an impromptu shaking of hands vs. a scheduled appearance. Seems to me like a McCain lover trying to find something--ANYTHING--to throw more dirt.

3) Brett Favre IS in the league with Elway, Montana, and Marino as far as I'm concerned (as much as I hate to admit right now). I certainly wouldn't put him #1 of all time, and I absolutely think he's the most overhyped QB ever this side of Mike Vick. But he's definitely in the conversation. To say anything else is foolish.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This is rascist bull....

Posted by: sicwidit | July 29, 2008 9:48 AM

-----------

Not so much!

Johnny Cochrane lives and he's blogging on RI under the handle "sicwidit."

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:28 AM

Why am I not surprised that this chia tool is on the "what racist comment?" side of the fence. The idea of hidden racism lives, and it's blogging under the handle "chia pet".

you douche.

Posted by: you're late for your skinhead rally | July 29, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"...Wow, stepped away from the computer for a couple hours and the blog goes to hell!..."

Lesson: Never step away from the computer. We'll ensure you are supplied w/food, drink, and an empty pail.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful. Maybe this is a good time to grab some lunch...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I guess the blog is about to get ugly again.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Why wont people accept that there are still racial issues in america...

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM

----------

I can accept that.

Can we at least agree to use a touch more discretion when it comes to throwing the term "racism" around.

That's some pretty heavy stuff. To drop that label willy nilly diminishes it's value at those times when racism is indeed the issue.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Work time.....lets get some things done, and see if perhaps the afternoon is better.

Posted by: Greg | July 29, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: A microphone and no turntables | July 29, 2008 11:05 AM

Wow Cindy, you're getting offered rides by anons! Don't do it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Wonderful. Maybe this is a good time to grab some lunch...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 29, 2008 11:42 AM

ditto

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Whatever...

First generation American here. Regular working class dude and not a skinhead.

Classy comeback!

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26, while I agree it's hard to distinguish who is real or fake up here, I think the alleged Capt. is 100% correct. I was in the military once a upon a time, and I know who and what makes that operation go.

It isn't the officers or highly enlisted NCOs. It all about the soldiers (including SGT. and SSG), E1-E6. If Obama was to meet up with wounded soldiers in Germany, he should've kept that on his itinerary. There are people as young as 18 and 19 giving their lives over there.

Posted by: no name | July 29, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update from training camp, sic; that's some good stuff.

That other stuff?

Take it somewhere else.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of prejudice, I think that Irish Americans have never had a fair shake of it. All those "Sean and Paddy" jokes are very denigrating. ("denigrate" here is not used in the racial sense, only in the pro-Irish sense) And the "Fighting" Irish -- what's that about?

In fact, Irish Irishmen have been treated very badly in their own country, both by the British occupiers and by Irish Irishwomen.

Posted by: d-bag | July 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

what happened? btw great essay on wpo today about a home makeover charity thingie gone bad.

anyways...i criticize jc. i have history and coaches to back up my criticism. jm235 (you know it's time to update that weight).

cindy, c'mon if jasno finds jc funny then he must find watching the grass grow is hillarious. plus you hear from all his teammates that they have a very hard time understanding what he's saying (in the huddle atleast)...

Posted by: dealer | July 29, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Why wont people accept that there are still racial issues in america...

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM

Most people do. It's just the issue is cheapened by folks who pull the race card too much or in inappropriate situations(i.e.-the criticism of an NFL QB for his play). Making JC out to be the victim of hate crime by fans or media or anyone else is ridiculous. On the contrary, I think he's more the victim of expectations being too high for him because he's a black QB wearing #17 in Washington. Some folks have seen too many highlights of Doug Williams throwing 4 tds in the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XXII--that isn't necessarily going to be Campbell. If he's held to realistic expectations (which for right now, should be a solid starter who manages a game well), you'd be surprised how much better the talk surrounding him becomes.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | July 29, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Not for nothing, but if you're a QB for the Redskins the expectations are too high. Race has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: [cc] | July 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Unlike some Dealer I keep myself in great shape and have no reason to lie to you or anyone else up here.

Posted by: jm220 | July 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I know most posters here are smart enough to disregard the previous cut-and-paste email from Capt. Porter, and I well know that whoever posted it is oblivious to facts, but for everyone else curious, here is a link to Snopes re: the email: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

In short, Cpt. Porter recanted. Enough of that. I guess I'm still not significantly jaded on the whole internet thing to continue to let these things upset me...

By the way, great job to the RI staff on updates during training camp. Except for the injuries, that is. Please stop reporting them so that they will stop happening. That's how it works, isn't it?

Posted by: Niemann | July 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The reason people hate Campbell and think he's not very smart has nothing to do with his race or with his being a Southerner.

It's because he went to Auburn, the dumb factory of the South. It he'd gone to 'Bama he would have started out smart and ended up a genius, sort of like Joe Namath. It's that simple.

Posted by: Roll, Tide, Roll | July 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If JC wins, he'll remain the Skins QB; if he doesn't, he won't.

Is someone advocating he remain QB if he loses games because he's black?

They don't let white QBs around here keep losing games and remaining at QB (see: Jay Schroeder, Heath Shuler, et al).

So why the heck would JC be any different?

Having said that, I think he's the real deal, and he'll win games - and postseason games - for this franchise.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | July 29, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

regarding left vs. right...(obamacons vs. right wingers)...

left wing radio SUCKS! right wing radio is entertaining. i don't agree with 90% of the stuff they say but at least it's entertaining. it's like watching a movie. though some people don't treat it as entertainment like the guy who killed some people somewhere...that's just sad. and it's always the righties that do that. why is that?

ohh darn! i just wanted to say that left wing radio sucks eventhough i don't like any of the bush/fox talking heads but they're entertaining.

i think my blood sugar is too low...gonna grab something to eat...chop't?

Posted by: dealer | July 29, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

To the Captain, who posted about Obama (I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt about being a real post and respectfully reply.)

Over here, the response reported on the news, was that Obama's staff didn't WANT it to appear to be a campaign event, by meeting with troops. It was also widely reported that the Pentagon prevented him from meeting with injured troops b/c it would appear to be a political event.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | July 29, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

it amazes me the Obama rhetoric on here from some people about he did not shake hands with soldiers. what they dont tell you is that McCain a Vietnam vet voted agaisnt giving our GI"S better benefits when they come home. so I ask you would you rather someone not shake your hand, or have someone say I know you almost died serving our country but I dont see the need to help you out once you get home.

So for those McCain supporters tell both sides of the story. Obama was wrong for not shaking hands, and so is McCain for not wanting to help the Soldiers when they tour is over

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Why wont people accept that there are still racial issues in america...

Posted by: Great One | July 29, 2008 11:39 AM

----------

I can accept that.

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 29, 2008 11:45 AM

HA! So tell me, when is it decided that certain incidences or situations are deemed outright racism? Let's just throw some names out there, shall we:

James Byrd Jr.
Emmitt Till
Sean Bell

so what constitutes as racism in this world? please share. email me at:

meabigot@badgeofracism.org

Posted by: the wizard will getcha if you're tardy | July 29, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

About the "captain"

Interesting comments from the "captain" who claims to be serving in afghanistan, and claims to be objectively reporting about Obama's visit.

While I would never denigrate a serviceman defending our country, let me state that i am NOT convinced that this is really from one. The GOP has set the standard for lying in political campaigns with the disgraceful "Swift Boat" performance, which lied and denigated an honorable American who served bravely in the combat.

They are doing the same thing this campaign, and John McCain has already begun telling lies about Obama and his philosophy. But the real dirty work, as before, will be by pretend patriots who will slander him under cover of their own lies.

As for the "Captain," if indeed he is who he says he is, and if indeed he is serving in afghanistan, my primary advice is to "watch your six."

Because George W. Bush, the man who Mccain now embraces physically and philosophically, abandoned the real war on terrorism in your neck of the woods to start his Oil War in Iraq, you are in greater danger than ever. And George Bush served fake turkey to servicemen when he was in iraq for a visit. (Nice to see him go to a combat zone, after chickening out in Vietnam).

McCain trotted through a marketplace in baghdad pretending it was a stroll in the Park, when secretly he was protected by three choppers and a battalion of soldiers. The marketplace was attacked after he left. I guess that didn't bother you, though.

McCain wants to stay another hundred years in Iraq. And, as was pointed out here, McCain has become a sunshine soldier who now votes against the needs of the real ones serving today.

And finally, anyone who has been watching "Generation Kill" realizes, sometimes the captains leading the troops are idiots.

And to attempt to draw the conclusion you did from one incident, as you do, is pretty good indication of idiocy, naivete, or the Fox approach to fairness and balance..

Oh. If you ARE overseas, you don't appreciate some of the other benes the GOP has brought us. Be thankful you don't have to pay to fill up your HumVee. It would be well into triple digits here.

In the meantime, may I respecfully suggest you keep your propaganda where it belongs, on political boards. We'd appreciate it if you don't sour the stomach of us who seek solace here from the incompetence and evil of the current administration and the stand-in candidate for Bush's Third Term.

The great thing I learned early about being a Redskin fan is it brings together all views for one common cause.

Whether it was out of your own beliefs, or because you are a right wing tool serving the McCain campaign, your post helps drive a wedge into that feeling.

And yes, I'm doing the same by responding. But Silence equals assent, and your inflammatory comments needed an answer.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 29, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Cindy its great to see Navin in the house this morning.

Posted by: Stumped | July 29, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse