Scott Wachenheim Is The Skins New Tight Ends Coach

The Redskins named Scott Wackenheim as their new tight ends coach, replacing longtime assistant Rennie Simmons, who retired when his contract was up at the end of the season. As I reported weeks ago, Wackenheim was the only outside candidate for the job; he interviewed with Coach Jim Zorn a few weeks ago. Offensive assistant Bill Khayat was also considered for the position.

Wachenheim was the offensive coordinator at Liberty and spent 21 seasons coaching in college football. He has no pro experience but worked under Zorn at Utah State for two years early in Zorn's coaching career.

"Scott is an experienced coach, who has been successful in the collegiate ranks," Zorn said in a statement. "He is a great communicator and an excellent teacher and has a strong desire to win. Throughout the interview process, the entire coaching staff was impressed with Scott's outstanding poise, ability and a strong understanding of the game. He will be an outstanding addition to the Redskins."

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 5, 2009; 10:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Sign Two To Futures Contracts
Next: More Special Teams Minutia

Comments

Wackenheim?... We just meet him...

Posted by: cp4mvp | February 5, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

splack pack

Posted by: slipperyrichard | February 5, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

When they hired Zorn, it was to be defensive coordinator, then they bumped him up pretty quickly to head coach. Im hoping that as they get to know Wachenheim they`ll decide he`s better suited for Vinny`s job.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 5, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

He was a tight end under Zorn

Boom

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"written without ONE statement bashing the team. wow...has that ever happened before?

Posted by: BeantownGreg"

you know what that means?

A year from now Whackenwhatever will be a failure and JLC will talk about how awful a hire this was.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

T_E
Naw not gonna be this guy its going to be the new 18 year old guy they hire to run the ticket sales.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The new kicker and return man are both smaller/lighter than me, and I'm a small guy. Promising!

FA can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 5, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think JLC really should have interviewed for the position, being an expert in all things football and all.

Posted by: MadDog20201 | February 5, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Scott Wachenheim = Coach Whitest Men

~Anagram Man

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 5, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

That Dick dude just isn't that funny.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadanimal | February 5, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"you know what that means?

Posted by: TheTruth11"

As if that would be the improper thing to do from an objective reporter, if it actually ended up happening.

Posted by: psps23 | February 5, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hot damn - just the coach I hoped we'd sign!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 5, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I Blame all my football problems on Obama. He should take the time to fix the redskins, a 1.5 billion dollar industry.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I think JLC has written an article that hasn't bashed the FA before, this is not the first time amazing as it sounds. when he talked about the great food the redskins PR guy brings the press during training camp. he loved gushing about that, fat b.stard. i mean thats info we must know at redskins insider!!! Same with European soccer leagues and the Red Sox. Everyday i go to sleep hoping that WAPO downsizes and gets rid of his worthless Azz

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Give me Liberty or give me Skins!!

Posted by: ga8085 | February 5, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Hot damn - just the coach I hoped we'd sign!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 5, 2009 11:05 AM |

I have to say, I was leaning toward Spagnuola, but when he got away from us, this was my second choice. But I think Spags would have been able to bring Fred Davis around.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 5, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I have never heard of this TE coach and time will tell if he's worth a hoot. Sounds a little like cronyism to me coming from an evangilical school like liberty, and being one of zorns former co-workers, but if the guy can improve Cooley and especially Davis I am all for it.

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 5, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

BIG SLEEPY

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 5, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Zorn was hired for Offensive Coordinator, not Defensive Coordinator.

A blind monkey with tuberculosis would be better suited for Vinny's Job.

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 5, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I will go get a blind monkey, anyone got a string of TB to infect it with?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I will go get a blind monkey, anyone got a string of TB to infect it with?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure the Hookers at the point do!

Posted by: Devo2 | February 5, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This is related to the comments about JLas critical analysis of the Redskins and especially the FO. Not trying to get too political here but as a political science major, and being a political minded person, I have some observations to make for the sake of good blog conversation on a relatively dull post. My opinion is the JLa is definately a liberal (just an observation not intended as a insult or compliment). I think he fits into the Keith Olberman mode right down to the glasses, and his love of all things european definately points to a leftist mentality. Now if JLa is a liberal, wich I assume he is, then he must look at the powerful, secrective, and incredibly stubborn redskins front office much in the way Olberman viewed the Bush administration. It is no secret that he is very biased in terms of his coverage of all things related to the skins FO, but is that not what makes his post interesting? Liberal sports journalist take pride in bashing the big powers that be in sports and tend to be very sympathetic to the players. IE Dan Patrick, Olberman, and of course our man Jla. I for one welcome his critical reporting, but I was wondering does anyone else see these comparisons or do they just think he is a redskins hating ravens fan who is forced to report on the skins becuase he gets a pay check from wapo. Maybe to deep a post for comments, but I am a deep person. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 5, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

among all the things you can attract from hookers, for some reason I don't remember TB on that list.

i guess the word CRABS jumps out more than tuberculosis.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV's cough causes TB from what I understand.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 5, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Nah, Brutus, Jla has never written anything that indicates any kind of a political stance that informs his writing...the clash with the front office has appeared to be more personal then political in nature - he has been often complimentary of the Ravens front office, so it isn't ALL front offices that he takes exception to.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 5, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Brutus,
I disagree with the use of the liberal label but to get into a detailed political analysis for the reasoning of this it is understandable that you needed to oversimplify the terminology for the unwashed masses.
But there is some validity to your argument that his sociopolitical background has an impact on his point of view of on the organization.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

maybe a guy used to working with college kids will be the best hire to work with Sleepy Davis. Personally, I think Davis could be the key to our season next year. We hopefully won't be drafting or chasing any more WRs, so if Davis and one of Kelly or Thomas can progress then we could be effective. Cooley and a more athletic field stretching TE could do some damage with Moss and a threat opposite him. It would be really nice to see a seam route once and a while by a TE who can actually stretch the field.

To somebody's post yesterday (think it was Peri) we simply can't revamp our entire Oline in one season. Thomas, Jansen, Samuels, Heyer, Rhino, Rabach are not going anywhere. Thomas, Jansen, and Samuels because of the cap, Heyer and Rhino cause they're our only young cheap signed talent, and Rabach is still decent and not terribly expensive so not a spot that probably gets looked at. So that's six guys that aren't going anywhere. It makes no sense then to draft or sign anymore that 2 or 3 Olineman this year cause you can't carry that many on the roster. IMHO guard is our more pressing need than tackle and I'm fine with a trade back and getting Alex Mack or Duke Robinson in the first, but at some point, we have to upgrade our Dline and LB's. Just because they were statistically good last year doesn't mean you ignore obvious needs. That is how we got an Oline of old overpaid underperforming guys and how we have a Dline that can't rush the passer. We need help on both lines and we need 2 legit LB's as its pretty obvious Marcus is done.

IMHO an offseason that can add two starters on the interior of the Oline, and one upgrade at DT or DE, and 2 not superstars but legit LB's, would be the definition of a good offseason. Heyer isn't a star but he is serviceable at RT with Samuels at LT and Jansen at backup, then next year when you can shed Jansen and Thomas' contract and you have your full compliment of picks (minus a 5th for JT....good trade Vinny) you can address OT. But we just can't do it all this year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 5, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

FA can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 5, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse
I'll bet Dorsey is a little quicker than you are also. So MAYBE it is promising.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 5, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Turd, cough on deez nads, suck face boy...

I like the signing of the RB, Dorsey. As much as I carry the Portis flag, I'd still like to see some new and young RB's brought in. I guess that's why... Oh, nevermind.

Every year I think: "No more than 300 carries for Portis - closer to 260-265, really.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Wachenheim, an offensive lineman at Air Force, has also coached at Rice, Arkansas and Colorado.

Little more info about this guys background.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 5, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Truth, we won't have to wait a year. The JLa bludgeoning will come after Cooley's first fumble.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Brutus2,

JLa got hired by the Post.

UNless his name is Kristol or Krauthammer you can bet that anyone on staff is liberal-leaning.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

And Brutus2, we would need to know what teams in European soccer that JLa supports.

The Euro soccer scene is full of teams associated w/ socio-politcal, cultural and religious leanings all over the spectrum.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

89 Redskins best football guys ever?
Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 12:13 PM

From that article:
“And Marty Hurney, a former Times' Redskins beat writer who worked in the team's public relations department in 1989, has been Carolina's GM for seven years.”
A beat reporter turned GM……and you guys all say a beat reporter knows nothing about football. You just wait til JLC is running the Redskins. Then you’ll be sorry, I tell ya!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

And hiring Wachenzheiwjutleysheimer actually makes sense.

We know what we've got in Cooley. So the priority is getting Fred Davis up and running.

Davis is basically a glorified college student who needs to get up for class on time, so we plucked a TE coach from college ranks who is used to handling these kinds of situations.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's talk DL a little bit. Including injured reserve, Skins have 12 D linemen on the roster:
DT - Alexander, Boschetti, Golston, Griffin, Montgomery
DE - Buzbee(IR), Carter, Daniels(IR), Jackson, Wilson, Taylor
DT/DE - Evans

Of all of them, Carter is the only one who would have a significant hit against cap - $6.8 mill.

Taylor will cost about $8 if he stays, Griffin is substantial. I'm not sure but I think he is somewhere in the $6 mill range. But these two would free up that much cap space if they were not on the roster.

Griffin has been a stud since signing with us in 2004, but was bothered by shoulders this past year. He has averaged over 14 games during those 5 years. He is not as much a force up the middle as when he joined us. He had 10 sacks his first 2 season, and only 4.5 in the last 3 seasons. I love the guy, but sometimes you just have to let a guy go. The other argument for keeping him is he is a clubhouse leader. And maybe JZ needs clubhouse leaders right now.

IMO, JT needs to redo his contract, or he has to go. He's quite an athlete, but he just isn't generating $8 mill worth of value.

I believe Golston and Monty are RFA's. I think they need to be resigned to reasonable new contracts. I don't know what they are asking, but if it isn't too much, I say resign them. Monty can take Griff's anchor place in the middle if Griff is released.

I've watched our DE's in replay, and it seems that they generally bull rush the OT, and maintain their position. Both Carter and Taylor have speed to rush around OT, so I have to presume that Blache wants them to maintain QB in pocket while controlling rushing lanes. If that is the case, then Evans is an important DE on 1 & 2 down. Canty would be a more ideal DE in that scheme than JT, and he should be signable for less than what JT is getting.

And we have several De's with speed to rush in passing downs... Buzbee if he recovers his speed, Rob Jackson & Chris Wilson.

So I'm thinking that other than possibly a FA signing, we are set on the DL.

Our focus should be OL and SLB.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

frediefrtiz,

Unfortunately our donkey Exec VP is going to blindly follow his asinine draft board and take "best available talent", which means we are going to come home from the draft with Mark Sanchez or Jermaine Gresham. Or some safety that was projected to go in the 4th round, but for some reason ended up at the top of our board.

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

What do you think about the skins taking Peria Jerry DT Ole Miss if Rajii and the 4 OT's are gone. He's not a pass rusher but a strong inside presence would only help the DE's we already have.

Posted by: skinswest | February 5, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

So Zorn and Wacky coached together at Utah State in days of yore, and then Cooley came out of Utah State in '04... what is it about Utah State? I'd never heard of the school before Cooley was drafted. Weird...

On the Utah State campus map these are some of the buildings listed: Barn, Bee Lab, Gun Shed

Yeah, I know it's an ag school, but still...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

frediefritz given the role the DE plays in this defense, having a DT that can collaspe the pocket is of imprtance. Draftin Raji or Jerry would help the overall production of the D-line and the pass rush of the skins in whole.

Posted by: TWISI | February 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

swest, jerry is getting good reviews, and seems to be 1a to raji's 1. Had I my druthers, I'd still rather have Orakpo.

Read on the extreme site last night that kffl.com is reporting that Canty wants 7 years/50 million contract.

Sorry, I think he's good, but he's not that good.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | February 5, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse
I agree that we need a strong inside presence, but only if he can penetrate. We have guys that can anchor the middle. What would improve the D would be someone who could consistently put inside pressure on the QB. We can't afford Haynesworth. Raji can bring pressure, but I'm not sure Jerry can. Isn't he more of a run-stuffer?

So if we can's get inside pressure, then I think we sit tight with whom we have, and address OL and LB. After all, we did have #4 D last year. It's not like we were porous.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 5, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Here is a link with Scott Wachenheim's bio-

Posted by: hman1217 | February 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ha, that's 50 million and one reasons for you not to sign him.

***Begin sarcasm

Maybe he'll take less money to remain with the Cowboys, since we gave him a shot in the first place, and we offer him the best chance to win a SB next season.

***End sarcasm

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I think he's good, but he's not that good.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. We need to resign Evans, make do with what we have if Canty is going to cost that much. Right now, tho, he may be just trying to raise the bar on the bidding. If FA goes like it did in baseball, players may not realize what they think they are worth. It depends on how many teams are bidding for someone.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 5, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"..To somebody's post yesterday (think it was Peri) we simply can't revamp our entire Oline in one season. Thomas, Jansen, Samuels, Heyer, Rhino, Rabach are not going anywhere. Thomas, Jansen, and Samuels because of the cap, Heyer and Rhino cause they're our only young cheap signed talent, and Rabach is still decent and not terribly expensive so not a spot that probably gets looked at..."

~zjfr2 ++

This is why I think it's no brainer if Orakpo drops to us. It is OK if we don't select an OT #13 because unless it's one of the top4, maybe even three, he will probably will sit on the bench in favor of one of the VETs. It's also ok to trade back for additional mid round picks or select the Raji if available.

Also, If either Matt Stafford or mark Sanchez falls to #13 then we could be in line for trading utopia. I don't think either of the QBs is worth number one overall selection. Rod Marinelli doesn't strike me as the type of coach that beckons for a QB number one overall (he's a defensive guy, an ex-line coach; it's why I think they go OLine with #1). Keep in mind he has another first round pick at #20 which he can use to trade up for either QB still on the board after KC & SF pick.

KC and Scott Pioli? It's hard to say at #3 what the Chiefs will do. I don't think Pioli has ever drafted a QB in the early rounds of the draft but if he does, it will most likely be Mark Sanchez, but if he doesn't, it makes the day look a whole lot brighter for the Redskins. Pioli makes his killing on QBs in the later rounds.

SF at #10 and Mike Singletary. Gotta believe that Mike will be pulling for someone on the defensive side of the ball but I think SF will go with one of the two QBs, whichever one is on the board.

Last year Flacco fell to #18.

Read on PFT that Dansby wants to give ARZ the first shot at him, but he's looking to test the market after he sees what the top tier LBs are going to get.

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

An undersized end coming from a group of peers (the Big-12 is a pass happy no defense league) that don't play defense and don't run the ball who produced 21 sacks in 4 full seasons. Forgive me if I feel like I've heard this story and feel unimpressed.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If y'all don't like the skins to be criticized then go the redskins.com blog. You will find plenty of you praising the skins. Get off this blog!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thewayitis | February 5, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

def resign evans, no doubt about that.

Yeah, if Canty is asking for that kind of money, he's being grossly mislead.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

zj, why is he getting good reviews at the senior bowl, if he's not that good?

he went against the top senior OLmen in the nation, and more than held his own. Go read the reviews at Walter football, of PFWeekly

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if I feel like I've heard this story and feel unimpressed.

Posted by: zjfr2

I agree with you. I haven't been impressed with the DE class as they relate to the skins. If Orakpo can project to OLB then I'd give it a go. If OT, and DT aren't the picks at #13, then I think LB should be the pick.

Posted by: TWISI | February 5, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

good god I thought that was a joke Nate. They really have a gun shed. Is it for anyone or their gun club/team

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

zj, why is he getting good reviews at the senior bowl, if he's not that good?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure he looks great coming off the edge against college tackles and in drills. I want a guy who can hold up in December in the cold in the NFC East against the run. We have plenty of undersized speed rushing ends especially in a system that doesn't utilize speed edge rushers except sometimes on long passing downs. No end that we sign or draft should be under 280 pounds. We don't need another Wilson, Carter, Jackson, Buzbee, or Taylor.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 5, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet everyone is welcome at the Gun Shed, alex. It is Utah, after all.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am all for criticism where criticism is due and with this regime there is plenty to critique we all know that, even the most casual skins fan knows this.

When JLC heaps on becuase he has a personal vendetta against the FO, that is when it gets old. What happened to unobjective reporting?

We all know he uses shoddy logic to prove his points (i.e 5"10 Eddie Royal being a possession reciever, Leigh Torrance being a young up and coming corner, Marcus Mason.....etc etc)

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Reading further, apparently the Gun Shed has shifted purpose, on another list designated as "Gun Shed (remodeled for Interior Design studios)."

But then there's this... Utah only state to okay guns at college.

Ugh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

So everyone except the gay community.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

zj, Peria Jerry is 6'1.5, and 290. here are a couple of quotes from his week at the senior bowl:

Peria Jerry DT Ole Miss - Jerry hasn't gotten as much exposure as Raji has, but he's certainly a very good prospect in his own right. Jerry was a fringe first-or-second round pick, but he has now elevated his stock to a mid-first round pick. He showed excellent strength and athleticism.
Peria Jerry, like B.J. Raji, was nearly unblockable today. They had him lined up at both tackle and end, and he could barely be contained at either spot. While Raji is at the top of the tackle rankings, Peria Jerry certainly is not far behind.

"I'm sure he looks great coming off the edge against college tackles and in drills"

um....who would you like him to line up against....He's not a pro. EVERY college kid is measured against OTHER college kids.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The conversation wasn't about Jerry or Raji, I'd be happy with either, you said if you had your druthers you'd rather have Orakpo, I don't want Orakpo, he's too small and too similar to 5 guys on our roster, that was my point.

Perhaps you can't type but you said:

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 5, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

From PFT
"...On Wednesday, Houshmandzadeh told Mike Missanelli of ESPN Radio 950 in Philadelphia that the veteran wideout would like to play for the Eagles.

“If they’ll be interested in me, I’ll be interested in them,” Houshmandzadeh said, via our own Sheil Kapadia of philly.com....."

If the eagles sign Whos-ur-momma, then it might be in our best interest to keep both Rogers & Hall... even if Rogers can squander a second round pick.

Dallas - TO & Roy Williams
Philly - TJ HowsUrMomma & Kevin Curtis
NYG - ??????? Toomer? Plax?

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 5, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that we should keep Rogers, even if Haszhamazouli doesn't go to Philly, anmd hopefully we still sign Hall as well and let sSprings go, as it seems he will not accept a paycut... If you trade rogers with hopes of drafting another corner, it would be a downgrade at the position. I highly doubt that ANY rookie corner could step on the field and be as good as Rogers is.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

zj, do some research on Orakpo, he's one of the strongest cats on his team.

mattv, I don't think Toomer will be back with the giants next year.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

hous would be a very eagles like signing, maybe he can teach desean jackson to not celebrate before crossing the goalline.

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't care about TJ YouAndUrMama going to the Eagles.

Get the both damn lines coached up, swaggered and meaned up, and ready. With grizzlies on the d-line, it doesn't matter or McNabb, or Romo, or Eli is throwing to.

It'll never get there.

There could be a CB with more of an upside than Rogers, or better than he is already, I doubt that, but you never know. If a team is willing to part with a 2nd or more for Rogers, I don't see how you don't make that trade.

With that said I like Rogers, wish he could get INTs more regularly, but...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

they can also bring in michael irvin to teach reids kids to properly hide their drugs when being incarcerated.

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

And he's also 260 pounds, all I ever here is how strong Carter is and then I watch him get pushed around every game.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

La Canfora and I were flag bearers of the MM23 flag on the flag team.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 5, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:16 PM

Drug abuse isn't funny, and shouldn't be the subject of jokes, especially when kids are involved.

It is to be encouraged.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Red, we all saw it, your flagwork was very impressive.

When Marcus Mason is inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I bet you and JLa will be the first people he thanks.

I just hope he and Leigh Torrence go into the Hall in the same year -- how sweet that would be!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Irving could also gives tips on how to sway an attempted carjacking and robbery.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 5, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Carter needs to gain some weight. A defensive lineman playing at 4% bodyfat is the dumbest thing this side of an o-lineman trying to do it. Even Jack LaLanne will tell you that.

1984 (age 70): Handcuffed and shackled, Jack fought strong winds and currents as he swam 1.5 miles while towing 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 5, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

FYI I just created a group on facebook for RI hamsters.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm from Cda and have seen Dorsey play. He's small but very shifty and could be effective as a PR and a 3rd down back in the NFL provided he is fast enough. Difficult to gauge because NFL field is quite a bit smaller than a CFL field. He is too small for KR in the NFL IMO.

Bottom line - great low risk move by the Skins. Randle El was never a burner and now that he's lost a step, he's useless as a PR.

Posted by: davestake | February 5, 2009 8:47 AM

I'm not even from Canadia and I am totally down and in 100% agreement with this post.

Also, Devin Thomas is supposed to be our KR eventually. He and Tryon have major KR numbers in their respective college careers.

Posted by: dcsween | February 5, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

agree to disagree about orakpo, I think that cat is gonna be just like JTuck.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 5, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

TJ Housa;sldkajsdfaidefc without Chad Johnson = Alvin Harper without Michael Irvin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 5, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

...I hope.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 5, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

= Norv Turner without Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin... ugh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

/i> Can this guy also coach wide receivers? /i>

Posted by: original_mark | February 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can this guy also coach wide receivers?

Posted by: original_mark | February 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

+++ think JLC really should have interviewed for the position, being an expert in all things football and all.

Posted by: MadDog20201+++

What, and give up being bashed by a bunch of Shadenfreuders here?

Posted by: TheCork | February 5, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

we all know Leigh Torrance will be the most famous "LT" when his illustrous career is over.

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 5, 2009 12:33 PM

Plus, the new coach is from Liberty University (aka Jerry Falwell Community College), so he could "lay hands" on Davis, get him to wake up on time, such as.

Posted by: dcsween | February 5, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Philosopher and sociologist Theodor Adorno defined schadenfreude as “largely unanticipated delight in the suffering of another which is cognized as trivial and/or appropriate

YEP THATS ME WHEN IT COMES TO JLC

Thanks Cork

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

+++it's still so funny that people on RI are taking offense to JLAc criticizing the team when in fact the skins aren't very good. maybe people should redirect their anger somewhere else besides a guy who has nothing to do with football decisions.

Posted by: dadanimal+++

Not gonna happen dad. Half the people ripping JLA likely ARE the people making football decisions at Redskin Park. The other half likely would give up their left Log roller to have his gig.

Neithr group is bright enough to realize that it's not what they say that matters to JLA's bosses, but THAT they say it. As long as he gest "volume! volume! volume!" he keeps the gig.

It's the same idea as Talk Radio,. Get the rubes stirred up, you get the ratings.

If it's suckup coverage people want, there's always Redskins,.com and Larry Michaels.

Posted by: TheCork | February 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

DC needs another team that is run by non conservative coaches and FO's

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Cork is JLC's slave who is kept in a cage in the basement like the gimp in pulp fiction

Posted by: drewkinnear | February 5, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

A blind monkey with tuberculosis would be better suited for Vinny's Job.

Posted by: BostonWarPath |

Posted by: TheCork | February 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Beeperoo

Posted by: alex35332 | February 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

oc at liberty!!!!the skins are on the way now,I feel big things coming now.that numb *uts the got from nowheresville to coach the d line last year was such a sucess why not go back to the well.fire vinny,fire zorn get a real g manager,let him find a real coach and maybe the skins will have a chance someday.

Posted by: DLESMonday | February 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

anyone else concerned that this guy has ZERO experience in any capacity at the pro level ?

yeah, i know football is still football, but dealing with pro athletes is a world of difference from college athletes.

we also passed up one of our own, Eddie Khayat, to make this hire. what does that say about our younger coaches except Zorn appears to want his own people--which is understandable.. might think that after Blache retires, if Zorn is still here, he might want to bring in his own DC...??

Posted by: shally | February 5, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

A blind monkey with tuberculosis would be better suited for Vinny's Job.

Posted by: BostonWarPath |

Posted by: TheCork | February 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Cork you are completely right, I know that Ocularly-challenged Tubercular Simeons is a growing problem here in the states and they deserve the utmost respect.

To all the O.C.T.S out there being read this blog by their handlers, I apologize for any cheap shots....But I still feel like you could do a better job running this team than the visually un-impaired Tubercular free donkey kisser we have as a VP of everything football.

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"Look buster, that's cheap shot. You owe an apology to Ocularly-challenged Tubercular Simeons." Do that include Mr. Rice?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | February 5, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

On the upside, the Liberty connection might get Seth Curry to the Wizards in a few years.

Posted by: Xlnt | February 5, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Wachenheim was the offensive coordinator at Liberty.
He brings nothing to this job but he is a friend of Zorn's.

Posted by: jmy999 | February 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

can anyone tell me about a fire vinny site or can we start one

Posted by: jahliajahmel | February 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse