Sean Taylor Has Passed Away/Redskins Park Mourns

Sean Taylor did not make it through the night according to his lawyer, Richard Sharpstein.

He passed away early this morning, Sharpstein said, although he did not know the exact time of death at this point. Sharpstein said he spoke with Pedro Taylor, Sean;s father, within the hour and learned of the news then.

"He's gone, Sean didn't make it through the night," Sharpstein said, calling his death following a gunshot wound during a home invasion in South Florida Monday, "a ridiculous, unnecessary tragedy."

Sharpstein said Taylor's blood loss was a leading factor in his passing.

"When he got to hospital there was severe, profuse bleeding that could not really be stopped, only curbed a bit," Sharpstein said, praising the work of first arrivers and those at the trauma center where they tried to keep Taylor alive. "But when they called for the helicopter, now things are already way down the road."

Sharpstein said doctors remained guarded through the night. "Because of the amount of blood he lost, it looked bleak from the beginning," Sharpstein said. Even after Taylor grabbed the finger of a doctor when instructed to late Monday afternoon., Sharpstein said he "never fully regained responsiveness and consciousness.":

"The doctors are saying when he grabbed a hand it could have been a reflex, it could have been a twitch, it could have been anything," Sharpstein said. "It could have been his way of saying goodbye. He just could not make it through the night. It's another example in this world, in this country and in this city, of senseless violence and the tragic waste of a young life."

Taylor, 24, was in the prime of his career, in this his fourth NFL season. He was engaged to be married and leaves behind a daughter, Jackie, who is 18-months old, and an organization that will deeply mourn his passing for years to come.

The scene out at Redskins Park is grim. A single bouquet of white roses sits propped up against the doors to the main entrance of the facility. The PR staff is sullen, their loss palpable. The parking lot is half full, although some coaches and team officials are inside. Employees are arriving in silence.

The sky is now heavily overcast, though for a few minutes the glistening morning sun crept through the clouds. A howling wind is whipping through the trees in the distance.

The flags here were lowered to half-mast this morning. A group of fans arrived here very early, standing by Sean Taylor's parking spot, marked with his No. 21, and they are now gathered at a field near the security gate here. A vigil was held in that field last night, and should fans choose to honor Sean by heading this way today, they will likely be steered to that same field today.

Tackles Todd Wade and Stephon Heyer just walked into the building, but the PR staff has asked us not to chat with players at this point as the organization formulates a plan for interviews and such. Tuesday is usually a day off for the players, but most are expected to gather here at some point, perhaps for a team meeting.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 6:02 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean's Status Unchanged
Next: Statement From Daniel Snyder

Comments

Just devastating......God Bless everyone.

Posted by: filmchis | November 27, 2007 6:19 AM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to Sean's family and friends. I hope the whole DC community (including Wilbon) rally around this family in this time of tragedy. So sad.

Posted by: vapensant | November 27, 2007 6:31 AM | Report abuse

I think what makes this so hard for me to comprehend is that this was a guy who had had some trouble in the past but had completely changed his life. Everyone on the team said his daughter made him a new man and that he talked about her all the time. What makes this so tragic is that Sean had matured, had turned his back on the problems he'd had in the past, and had dedicated himself to being a good father. He was just coming into bloom as a man. And then to be shot in the middle of the night, while you're trying to sleep with your fiancee and daughter, is both terrifying and heart-wrenching. We always hear about how athletes get away with everything and are such blights on society. Well, here was a man who grew from past mistakes and didn't repeat them. He was an emblem, I think, of how we want those with troubled pasts to overcome their previous difficulties. He will definitely be missed.

Posted by: vjr9r | November 27, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

God bless his family, particularly his daughter and fiancee. We lost Meast but they lost a son, father, brother and companion. Just awful.

Posted by: matt_birkhofer2002 | November 27, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace. You will be missed.

Posted by: nwgamache | November 27, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe it. I remember the first time hearing it yesterday and thinking, damn, he is out for the season (not knowing the seriousness of the injury). Last night all I was hoping for was for him to be able to attend another Redskins game so all of the fans cold cheer and show him how much we all loved him. I have been a fan my entire life, but never really felt the same about any of the other players. I think it is because of all the dumb things he has done and now it seemed like he was getting his life back together. Now another child has to be raised without a father.

Posted by: BT23 | November 27, 2007 6:44 AM | Report abuse

From Deleted post:

Guys - There are new friends in Need. Let's support the family and Redskins. F Football. Long live everlasting life.

I believed Sean changed for the better and its a good thing he did.

If you have kids, like I do, please talk to them about this...........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 27, 2007 6:46 AM | Report abuse

okay, where did all those comments go?

here is what the moveable type gave me

"Somehow, the entry you tried to comment on does not exist"

is that text meant to be a joke?

anyway.

How do the skins players play sunday? I really feel that how broke up we are, i feel for the other players.

They fought, lived and were brothers with him.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 6:46 AM | Report abuse

You will be remembered forever 36/21.....

Posted by: bigmurf08 | November 27, 2007 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace Sean Taylor. I will never forget watching you play. My prayers go out to your family, esp your daughter.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | November 27, 2007 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Some people are saying that ESPN is reporting that the phone lines were cut.

And it struck me that they robbed it a couple weeks ago and then came back?

Something doesnt add up.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I am so saddened by this. What a sad, sad day. I hope everyone will continue to pray for Sean and his family. Wow.

Posted by: Dorf | November 27, 2007 6:53 AM | Report abuse

A horrible, horrible trajedy. I cant come up with any wisdom at a time like this. This will be a scar for the Washington area and this team for a long time.

I hate to bring up football, but I cant imagine the Redskins having any fight after this. The Redskins have lost an incredibly talented player and have lost a season, and quite possibly put this team in bad spiral downward. This reminds me of Len Bias and how Maryland took years to come out of that tragedy.

I want to pass along my prayers to the Taylor family.

Posted by: slckrick | November 27, 2007 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Be at Peace Sean. What a horrible day.

Posted by: mmok | November 27, 2007 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Now living in Orlando, we just went to the Skins Bucs game in Tampa on Sunday...we talked about how much we missed seeing Sean Taylor on the field...like when we had tickets to FedEx...we never thought we'd never see him play again. Our prayers go out to his family. Rest In Peace young man.

Posted by: jsyoung1964 | November 27, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

And I know this is not the time for CSI, but I cant help but want more info.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

so sad

the ultimate WHAT IF......

he would've made the Hall of Fame....now we just have to tell our kids and grandkids how great he was.....

Posted by: mooneymaher | November 27, 2007 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Sean for your smile, your maturity, and your awesome hits. May God strengthen your family.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | November 27, 2007 6:59 AM | Report abuse

my comments were deleted in the lost post I guess...

Anyway what a loss and waste.

F violence

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2007 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace Sean.

I pray that your precious little girl will have memories of you when she is older.

Posted by: mdflorals | November 27, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

RIP Sean, just a sad day

Posted by: oilcart | November 27, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

true moon;

I will never wear another jersey. I guess my #89 and #47 will have to go into retirement early.

75th #21 4 ever

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Eagles fan here.. really really sad news. Rest in Peace Sean. We'll miss you.

Posted by: maclean1 | November 27, 2007 7:01 AM | Report abuse

This is very very sad. RIP Sean.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

I hope we can support Sean's family now that he has passed. His beautiful baby girl, fiance, and family now face the unimaginable.
God Bless. RIP Sean.

4th, God bless you and your family. I've thought about you often since your tragic loss.

cosmofla

Posted by: squashmo | November 27, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Heaven just got a little bit more bad-a$$.

RIP Sean.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 27, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Woke up this morning as usual and started checking all the sites and put on the news. I was happy at first since everyone was saying he is stable and nothing had changed and then the tragic news on Channel 5, then 7 etc. that he had passed.

Some may say he was just a football player which is true but he was also a father, brother and friend to many. As fans we also sometimes tend to feel part of the family and that's why it hurts. Even though we may not know these players we become to know them through our television sets and our weekly experiences at the football stadium...

I'm not religious so I'm not going to pray for him or his family but my thoughts are with him and his family. There is not much else anyone can say.

Posted by: bsohrabi | November 27, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

kudos maclean1

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Taylor family. I don't know you personally but you were a true redskin. Rest in Peace, Sean.

Posted by: hardhitter | November 27, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Cosmofla!

I am thinking about all the support I received here and am just trying to do the same for more people I've never met.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 27, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Redskins fans.

I'm a life-long, avid New York Giants fanatic, but I've been pulling for Sean Taylor since I heard the initial news that he had been shot. This situation obviously transcends a team or a sport. But I know ya'll in the 'Skins community are probably feeling particularly devastated, so I wanted to pass along my condolences and my prayers for ya'll, too, as well as, obviously, Sean's family and Sean. I'll pray for the repose of his soul today, and I'll pray that his family find peace amidst this tragedy. I'll pray for ya'll, too. There are no Giants, no Eagles, no Cowboys in the NFC East today. We are all Redskins today.

Posted by: dougvelardo | November 27, 2007 7:09 AM | Report abuse

kudos doug, well said

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse

wow.....I am in such shock and sadness at how such a tragedy occurs for a young man who had learned to turn his life around and find direction and become a leader. Condolences to his family and friends.....I know how I would feel for such a meaningless thing to occur. I hope those robbers rot in hell.

Posted by: goosedude | November 27, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Saddest possible news. Prayers for all who truly knew Sean especially his girlfriend and baby girl. Wrong. Senseless. Truly angering. Having a hard time choosing love.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Heaven just got a little bit more bad-a$$.

RIP Sean.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 27, 2007 07:03 AM

Yeah it did

Posted by: sams3 | November 27, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Just found out the news and it has brought tears to my eyes, Sean Taylor RIP, we will all miss you. My condolences to the Taylor family. This is truly a sad moment.

Posted by: Gltek01 | November 27, 2007 7:13 AM | Report abuse

You are know how much how much I love the Reaper. What you don't know is I have children and my baby girl can get me to do anything. I believe it was the same for the Reaper and that's why he changed his life. Now she will grow up without her father. This is so crushing even though I have never meet the Reaper in person. Rest in Peace brother.

Posted by: jm220 | November 27, 2007 7:16 AM | Report abuse

This is terribly sad news. I hoped not to wake up this morning to this. Peace to Sean and his family as they try to deal with this senselesss tragedy.

Posted by: pulldownclaw | November 27, 2007 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I think any of us who have children should give them an extra hug today. I sat with my two boys this morning and it hit me really hard. I could not imagine life without them. Prayers to the Taylor family.

Posted by: squashmo | November 27, 2007 7:20 AM | Report abuse

This one hurts real bad folks. I don't care about the rest of the season, it really doesn't matter anymore. To his family, stay strong. To all of us in Redskin nation, pray for his family and friends. As we leave comments over the next few weeks, please remember that these guys on the team are hurting, so be respectful of that. One love.

Posted by: hallen1007 | November 27, 2007 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the great memories Sean.
You will be missed.
Hail to 21

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 27, 2007 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Just got home from dinner at a friends, was wearing my RI Reaper shirt. Thought I'd pop on before bed just to check in on how Sean was doing. I'm devasted, so sad. My hopes were high that he was on the improve.

My heart felt thoughts go out to his family.

Posted by: kost52 | November 27, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

It's unfortunate to see his past being mentioned...but even sadder knowing he's changed from all that & left with so much promise. R.!.P. #21...prayers go out to all affected.

Posted by: muzikid | November 27, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Been living here in DC for 40+ years and a huge Skins fan my whole life. This hurts on a personal level. I've never felt so much pain related to sports in my life.
This team will take years to recover. We built our D around Sean because he was able to do things no other player can do. Even Gregg Williams has called him the best football player he's ever seen. this is really painful.

Posted by: freedom0125 | November 27, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm just heartsick.....this is simply unbelievable....

Posted by: Lisa | November 27, 2007 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Just awful. I had a bad feeling last night during the Steelers game that we might wake up to this.

As squashmo said, this is rather close to having something like this happen to one of our loved ones. Many prayers going out to Sean's finace, family and especially to his little girl. Having to grow up without her father is the greatest piece of robbery imaginable. So, so sad. :(

This is going to take a long time to get over, both as fans, a community and especially the team. However, we have the faith to pull through this. Of that, I am confident.

(BTW, this is NosferatusCoffin. Since we went to the registration to post here, it is now using my WP login name. Been awhile since I posted).

Posted by: CSzaz | November 27, 2007 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Rest In Peace 21. Rest in Peace 21.

Retire 21.

Posted by: macaro | November 27, 2007 7:32 AM | Report abuse

JM220 - I feel the same way. His daughter is the same age as mine was so I know she was just the master of his world when he was at home.

It's funny how quick kids can change your life, for the better.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 27, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Sean Taylor. I send my best wishes to all of his family and friends. In 25+ years of being a Redskin fan I've never liked a player the way I liked Sean. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this. I almost feel like I've lost a brother. I've NEVER abandoned the Redskins or football, but right now, I don't care about the sport at all. I'll never forget you ST.

Posted by: jmags316 | November 27, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't get it out of my head that we will never see Sean Taylor again. It doesn't feel right, it's like I'm thinking he'll be alright and Sean will play Sunday! The entire Redskins Family has suffered a tremendous loss. This is the worst day in Redskins History. I love you Sean and will miss you! I know your playing in God's Stadium!

Posted by: codysilagyi | November 27, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Should we rethink the nickname we called him on this blog??? "the Reaper"

I agree with an earlier post....something DOESN'T ADD UP !!!!

In any case, thank you Sean for 4 great-crazy-wild-inspiring-bad azz years.

RIP 21/36 !!!!!!

Posted by: cej75024 | November 27, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Sean. I really feel for his daughter. It's so sad, considering the man had turned his life around and was doing nothing wrong except trying to protect his family. Idiots like Pacman Jones wreak havoc, leave a trail of misery, doesn't change and is still walking around.

As a Dallas Cowboys fan living in MD., I respected and feared him, but I want to express my sorrow, not as a rival, but a member of the NFL fandom.

Posted by: notanon | November 27, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace Sean. We'll always remember you.

Posted by: davidfrancois | November 27, 2007 7:35 AM | Report abuse

21, you were my favorite player. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers, always a Redskin. I am in utter shock and sadness. You will be missed.

Posted by: jbeall2 | November 27, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Who does the RI T-Shirts?

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 27, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm absolutely in shock. Taylor has been my favorite player since he got here. I even put a special thanks to him in my last album I put out a year ago. This doesn't seem real and I am just baffled by the whole thing. My prayers go out to his family and friends and anyone who was lucky enough to know him.
Rest in peace.
kevin hambrick

Posted by: mindy | November 27, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

They just reported on CNN that this investigation might become a murder investigation. As we all thought something isn't right.

Posted by: bienbo | November 27, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

absolutley cej!

notanon, thanks

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I am a Dallas fan, but I love football in general. It was always fun to watch Sean Taylor play b/c of his intensity. There are no words to describe how all NFL Fans are feeling. My prayers are with the Redskins, their fans and Sean's family and friends. A truly sad day.

Posted by: dalgal23 | November 27, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

In Miami it seems there is no respect for life. People killed daily, then cops killed, and now this.
Sean was one of my favorites and this is hard to swallow.
God Bless Sean Taylor.

Posted by: ftlmikeflorida | November 27, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

This whole thing is very sad. I think its too early to really care about it but, this does not look like a robbery. You don't make a B&E at night.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2007 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Sean was the definition of "impact player". May the grace of God be with his family, and may perpetual light shine upon our Sean Taylor. Rest in peace.

Posted by: Soups1 | November 27, 2007 7:43 AM | Report abuse

I feel like I lost a close friend. This is the most devastating sports related moment I have ever experienced in all my years. All I can think about it gutting the person or persons who did this. They will find who did this....that I promise you.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't even know what to say. Went to bad last night feeling optimistic that he'd pull through. I was just talking with my wife this morning (before I heard the news) about how we should get our affairs in order should something happen to us. We've got 3 kids. To just think about my little boy and my 2 little girls in the first years of their lives and what they could accomplish. My girl watched her first game with me this past Sunday and I started to try and explain the rules. How do I explain this?

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

"It's another example in this world, in this country and in this city of senseless violence and the tragic waste of a young life." - the washington post

when are we going to be offended by this kind of crap, and weed these people out of our communities?

Posted by: isometruman | November 27, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

#21, you will always be in our hearts.

Sean Taylor, A Redskin Forever.

Posted by: wwkayaker | November 27, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

word to doug, i was going to say something similar, but that was much more eloquent and concise than anything i was dreaming up waiting for the comments to load

rip sean

-the green bay redskins

(pack4life)

Posted by: bdotjaydot | November 27, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Even now, ESPN.com main page puts the ugliness that was last night's MNF as the lead story with ST as a sidebar. Amazing. Just...amazing. I had maybe a modicum of respect left for ESPN before this. Now ZERO

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Is it wrong for me to say that what Wilbon said was just incredibly insensitive.

"I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising." -Mike Wilbon, on the day Sean Taylor was shot.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

May God Bless the entire Taylor family. We all share a lot of pain this morning. I am so shocked/sad. This is terrible. How are we going to play a game? Hug everyone in your family, tell them how much you love them.

Posted by: tdskinz | November 27, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Rest in Peace Sean T. # 21 will be missed.

Posted by: brian_m_murphy | November 27, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Having moved from the DC area to South Carolina 2 years ago, I remain an avid Redskins fan. It saddened me this morning hearing that #21 has passed due to such an unnecessary violent act. My thoughts and Prayers go out to both the Taylor and Redskins family. Just a sad day. Hopefully, justice will be served and the perpetrators of this act will be brought to pay for these senseless actions.

Posted by: cokedispatch | November 27, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

May God continue to keep his family in this sorrowful time.

Posted by: adrienne_rr | November 27, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

F GUNS

When will this country ever learn. You think this guy stands a chance against Taylor with anything other than a gun. He wounldn't even step in the house. F NRA, F HUCKABEE, F 2ND AMENDMENT. WE DONT NEED GUNS

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Also zeese, who goes in blasting on a B&E. You grab and run

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Thats what I am saying Zebra

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2007 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Wilbon. This is obviously not just a random burglary, there is some past here, some history, and Sean embrassed it, and it caught up with him. Look at his behaviour since his draft, the ATV incident, spitting etc. He ran with the crowd and obviously had some rivals. He got big, got money, and they got more jealous and wanted it in for him. It is tragic and sad, but no, not surprising.

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 8:04 AM | Report abuse

JUST BECAUSE A MAN DIES AT THE HAND OF ANOTHER, DOES NOT MEAN HIS LIFE WAS A WASTE. IT IS A SAD SHAME THAT SEAN TAYLOR IS NO LONGER ALIVE, BUT PLEASE DO NOT VIEW THIS DEATH AS A WASTE OF A YOUNG LIFE, AS HIS LAWYER STATED IN THE ARTICLE. SEAN TAYLOR WAS AN INCREDIBLE ATHLETE AND A RESPECTED MAN WHOSE LIFE ENDED EARLIER THAN WE HOPED, BUT STILL HE IS AN INSPIRATION AND AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR LIFE. LET'S REMEMBER THAT AS WE PRAY FOR HIS FAMILY AND ALL THE VICTIMS OF VIOLENCE.
REST IN PEACE, MR. TAYLOR.

Posted by: spangenbergs | November 27, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

What a chump. When they come out with the new American Heritage Dictionary, they should just put a picture of Taylor for the definition for "sucker."

Posted by: FridayKnight | November 27, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm shocked and really have no clue what to say.

I hope you have peace now Sean.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 27, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon has always been an idiot. I cannot say I am surprised that he would try to get "cred" with an asinine statement like that.

And Scott, take your inane anti-gun posting someplace else. It is not needed nor wanted here at this time. Show some respect.

Posted by: CSzaz | November 27, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for playing your heart out for us, Sean. 24 is far too young to go. Rest in Peace

Posted by: kreator6996 | November 27, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

What a horrible day! Woke up and heard the news on TV and couldn't get on to RI fast enough.

Thanks for all the highlights, Sean! You will always be missed and remembered. May you have the peace you deserve now.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he is up in heaven right now laying poeple out over the middle.

Posted by: sams3 | November 27, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

When I heard the sad news this morning on my way to work, I just broke down and cried like I had lost a family member. It is so sad to lose anyone, let alone someone so young who was just coming into his own as a man and a football player. I hope they find the person/persons who did this and give them the maximum penalty possible. Nothing that they could have gained was worth this!

My prayers go out to Sean's friends and family.

I don't know if people of familiar with the poem, The Dash, by Linda Ellis but, when my nephew passed away from CF in April at he age of 27, I read it and no have it posted on my wall. I encourage all to read it. I hope it brings some comfort to you as it does to me during times like this. God wanted him on his team.

Posted by: burnie424 | November 27, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Sad day for Skins Nation....

I say the Skins OFFICIALLY REATIRE HIS NUMBER AND AD Him to the RIng of Fame ...Immediately!

God Bless you Sean...

Posted by: leevi98 | November 27, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Don't respond to the haters. Use your energy to pray for the Taylor/Redskin/Hurricane families.

Posted by: squashmo | November 27, 2007 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Jason and Cindy, for all your work.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 27, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

This is some sad ish right here. I can not believe it. The way it happened is just unfortunate. I feel bad for his family. RIP Sean Taylor

Posted by: Nikeman301 | November 27, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Don't even know what to say, or that my words would mean anything. What a senseless, and tragic event.

RIP #21.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

He lived the THUG life and he died the THUG life. GO DALLAS!

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm neither a 'Skins organization fan nor a Taylor fan, but this is truly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Taylor's family and to all of you Redskins fans today.

Posted by: JMB111 | November 27, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. Jason and Cindy, you two have done a great job. Many thanks for all of the hard during this difficult time.

Posted by: CSzaz | November 27, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

CSzaz, its senseless violence, get a clue! And Taylor being and inspiration and example of how to live your life...PUHLEASE. Look, this sucks, I feel horrible for everyone involved, especially his daughter, but Wilbon is absolutely correct. Taylor was on a collision course with something, we all saw it, we all said it, we all hoped he would turn it around in time. Maybe he was in the process of turning it around, but his past caught up. He is certainly not someone you model your life after unless you want trouble, guns and death. RIP Taylor, atleast your daughter has money to fall back on, unlike so many others out there that loose Dads to senseless acts of gun violence and gang banging that are doomed for life.

Posted by: scott | November 27, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Scott, take it somewhere else. No one wants to hear your rhetoric today.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 27, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

True class of a Dallas fan rears its inbred head.

Sorry SMACK, I dont know if this is the norm for your fellow dallas fans, but I would be ashamed of any skins fan acting this way.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 27, 2007 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I've read the The Dash. Have to second that post. Excellent and poignant. Live every last drop of life you can.

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

This really sucks. A great player will be missed. He was awesome to watch. I hope they find the sob's that did this. I agree with the folks on here that think this was more than just a home invasion.

Posted by: dlhaze | November 27, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

burnie424--Could you post the poem, or some of it here?

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

My wife telephoned me, as I was driving to work. Said she had turned on the news, and there it was Sean Taylor had died.
Without even thinking I spoke "crap".

I felt like I had been hit in the stomach.

Puts football in perspective for all of us, doesn't it?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 27, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Incredibly sad by this news. I actually gasped when I read the headline this morning. He was so fun to watch play and will have great memories of him taking out that kicker in the probowl. An amazing athlete and maturing team leader. The skins should wear the socks that Sean got fined for wearing.
I still can't believe it.
RIP #21

Posted by: token_crip | November 27, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Condolences to the entire Sean Taylor family and Redskins organization.

Snyder, do the right thing and induct Mr. Taylor into the Ring of Honor.

RIP Reaper

Posted by: JAMiah3109 | November 27, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

It is tragic that his young life has ended after he appeared to have turned it around as a person and a player. Our prayers go out to his family and his extended Redskin family.

Posted by: skinslaw | November 27, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

This is now a murder investigation. Hope they find the murder but it may not be a surprise everyone. RIP my brother. Thanks for the 3 1/2 years. He was one of three players that I could to fans of other teams (especially Dallas) about and they didn't have anything negative they could say. It's a same a young man like this who just turned his life around gets taken out. I can't even do any work...

Posted by: bienbo | November 27, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

As soon as I heard the news this morning I cried. We feel like these players are part of our family, every game we cheer them on in our living room shouting as loud as we can like they can actually hear us. Sean you will be missed greatly

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Andy Pollin is on sportstalk 980 insinuating that Sean Taylor's death may be a result of him feeling he was invincible.

Hey Andy, is that really necessary on this very sad and tragic day?

Posted by: Barno1 | November 27, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm just in shock right now and so saddened by this. I arrived to work to hear the news. The last report I heard last night was that he was somewhat responsive and then to hear he passed away just stunned me. This is a very sad day for the entire Redskins family. I just can't beleive this. Another life lost over what I'm sure was senseless. For him to be in the prime of his career and the prime of his life, a new daughter, and a fiance' this is just devastating. I don't even know what else to say. RIP Sean Taylor.

Posted by: Marcus_Brooks | November 27, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

What a senseless tragedy.

Posted by: davidg | November 27, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

this really hurts....at first, i wondered why. people get shot and die everywhere everyday. then i thought, young men in today's society get shot and die everywhere everyday, cutting a potential life short. if this happens, why should i care that much more about sean taylor? then i think of how he in many ways he is everything i wished i could be, a great football player playing for the redskins. he lived out my dream. having said that, i think thats why this really hurts. rip sean, watch over your little one from heaven.

Posted by: sar04 | November 27, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Why would you put your family ie girlfriend and child in jeopardy by staying in your house after it was ransacked twice? Stupid and macho. And then you go check things out with a machete even fing dumber. Once a punk always a stupid punk. This wasnt random and it wasnt just a burglary. It was a hit!

Posted by: dave2002ti | November 27, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Sunday will be a very emotional game

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I can't think of another player off the top of my head that elicited the kind of fear Sean did. Guys flinched going over the middle with Sean roaming center field. Anyone remember a Sunday or Monday night game against the Iggles a couple years back where Todd Pinkston dropped a pass because he was too busy bracing for a hit to pay attention to the ball? Very embarrassing for him. I don't remember but I bet it was Sean coming for him.

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Celtics fan also and this just makes me feel like a Len Bias moment. Even though Len bought it upon himself it still shook the organization and the fans. Being a Terp fan, it is just very upsetting.

RIP Sean

Posted by: bienbo | November 27, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

jessie31202,
YOU ACTUALLY CRIED?!? Get over it, he was a THUG! At least his daughter won't be subjected to the THUG life now. GO BIG D.

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth...
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars....the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.
(You could be at "dash midrange.")

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile...
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be proud of the things they
say about how you spend your dash?

Author Linda Ellis

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

WTF THIS IS A FATHER, A SON A BROTHER A FRIEND PAST IS THE PAST.. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON HIM. DID YOU KNOW HIM PERSONALLY. DID YOU KNOW THAT HE WAS TRYING TO IMPROVE EDUCATION IN MIAMI SCHOOLS

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Jason thanks for keeping us up-to-date. I'm sure you must be hurting like all of us as well! You're in our prayers as well!

Posted by: macaro | November 27, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Sad day. I do hope they will add him to the ring of fame. He was an amazing athelete and football player, but more importantly was a young man with a full life ahead of him. In defense of Wilbon, though his comment came across as extremely insensitive, especially as more info came out, I know that he hates seeing young black men killed and he hates the culture that produces so many deaths. It seems very likely that Taylor's past did come back to haunt him (despite his life change).

Posted by: MrDumberton | November 27, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I am Stunned, Sean was a great play and game changing player. My heart goes out to his family and his little girl. That's the sad part, His little girl will never remember or know her daddy. God bless the Taylor family

Posted by: drumer1972 | November 27, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I woke this morning, ready to go about my day not being concerned about the world around me and the I hear something I didn't expect, that just as I woke Sean Taylor had passed and it sadden my heart, it touched my soul in a way I didn't believe it would. I met Sean Taylor once in passing, after his troubles and the man that I met was nothing like what the media had described; here was a man that was humble and at peace. To his family and his Redskin family, hold your heads high walk with the same pride I was him walk with on and off the field.

God bless you all,
William Palmer (Dallas, Tx)

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Posted by: Wil002625 | November 27, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I went to sleep last night with a not so easy feeling about this. I feel like a family member has passed. So horrible for such a young man, 24 years old. A fiance and child lose the man they love.
He was just becoming an all time great, he gave many Washingtonians and fans all over the country so much joy on Sunday afternoons. He put on the pads, stepped on the field and laid down hits on offensive players like nobody we have seen before. Darrel Green is my all time favorite Redskin, Sean Taylor number 2, I have been watching him since early on in his career with the Miami Hurricanes...I am going to miss him and can only imagine how horrible this is for his family and close friends. The Redskins family has lost a great one and it will take a long time to recover from this horrible tragedy.

-James(reston)

Posted by: scrumpy1 | November 27, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Everyone please ignore "inbred". He is upset about the fact we had a REAL saftey and he has to deal with a black Archuleta in Roy Williams. Thanks buddy for posting such wonderful things for us.

Posted by: bienbo | November 27, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Redemtion. Forgiveness. Judgement is for God.

Posted by: rick1 | November 27, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

inbred why are you on here again you aren't even a skins fan...GO AWAY !!!

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard anything about a memorial at Fed Ex yet??

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Hail to the Redskins
Hail Victory
Braves on the warpath
Fight for ol' Sean T.

Posted by: halfie22 | November 27, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Devastated, I got to meet him at the playoff game in Tampa 2005, very nice, polite, and shy. It will not be the same watching the games without him. But he is in a better place. RIP 21

Posted by: vegge12 | November 27, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts are with the Taylor family and the Redskins Family

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the poem--touching.

Probably not the time for this, but--ESPN is really tickin' me off. When T.O. was hospitalized for his "overdose" all the repeated programming stopped and it was nothing but live reports from the Dallas training facility and the hospital. Even with Sean's death, it's just a short mention in their update segments.

It would be nice to see #21 added to the ring of fame; maybe at the home opener next year?

God bless Sean's family.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I know I didn't really know sean taylor, but I feel like I did. He was my favorite player to watch on Sundays. He was a "TRUE REDSKIN" by every sense of the word, and one of the greatest to ever play the game. I'm really going to miss the quiet guy, who expressed himself through his play on the field. It's hard to believe we'll never see #21 again. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends who truly did know Sean the person.

Posted by: kurtus25 | November 27, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

They should add him to the ring of fame on Sunday

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Football is secondary to a man having his home violated and his life taken in front of his family, regardless of reasosns or circumstances. Find the animal who did this and administer the utmost justice in expedient fashion. Godspeed, Sean.

Posted by: ericenderle | November 27, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope whoever did this either gets the death penalty or rots in jail forever

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I was all ready to cheer my team on last night on TV, but I didn't have the heart to watch so I have no idea what the score was.

I was late starting this morning and heard the terribly sad news on WWWT. This is a tragedy that transcends team allegiances and rivalries, no matter how deeply held.

Whoever suggested that the Skins retire #21 and induct him immediately is right. More than that though, they should honour the rest of his current contract to ensure that his little girl at least gets the start in life that her father's talents earned for her, even though he can't be there with her now. I would hope that my eployer could do something similar for my family were the positions reversed.

Though my faith has grown strong in recent years, it still affects me deeply when something as senseless as this happens; it's hard to see how this fits into any 'grand design'.

But whether you have faith or not, remember the joy you got from watching #21 play the game we all love 'full on' - the only way he knew how to play - and know that he is at peace.

His star didn't burn nearly long enough, but it did burn very brightly.

Chris, a Dolphins fan usually, but we're all Redskins fans today.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I have been a Redskin fan all my life. My father played for the team and also a few other organizations as well. Despite his other affliations, I would never dream of rooting for any team but my beloved 'Skins. I have the team in my blood and Sean Taylor was the epitome of the "True" Redskin. RIP Meast. You will be missed by your family, your friends, your teammates and your fans. You had grown up to be a man and I am sad to see you gone.

Posted by: sandorsommer | November 27, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

If they play Sunday...I posted this before, but it seems to be that playing Sunday is way to risky. How in God's name could you expect them to play full speed with the focus required of an NFL game? Half speed, unfocused play equals injuries and we don't need to be adding people getting hurt to an already awful situation. Besides, the entire organization needs to be at his memorial service which may well be this weekend. It would be a shame if they are made to play on Sunday. They're HUMAN BEINGS for crying out loud!

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

You know his picture is on the ticket for the bears game. Perhaps they should retire his jersey and add him to the ring of fame at that game? I'm sure they will do something on Sunday. There will definitely be a dark cloud hanging over FedEx on Sunday.

Posted by: kurtus25 | November 27, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

NCI - ESPN is too busy working on all of the Tony Romo vs Brett Favre game this Thursday. OOps, I mean the Dallas vs Green Bay game........

Posted by: dlhaze | November 27, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree with paying out the rest of his contract to his little girl... !! They could put it in a trust fund for her

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Great Poem JS26121820

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Please the Ring of Fame for this punk. Get real and over it. Unless they changed the requirements to get in the Ring to being one of the dumbest!

Posted by: dave2002ti | November 27, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I think i'll retire the moniker and go back to the old one in light of the recent events.

What a horrible and senseless tragedy to befall a 24 year old kid.

Let's get something straight, he was a kid in his house who was murdered while his daughter slept next to him. Those are the facts we know at this time. All the other stuff everyone is making out of this is pure bs, rumor and innuendo.

Why don't we just respect the dead by not jumping to conclusions and making assumptions.

Posted by: Skinz | November 27, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Man, this is tragic, I really didn't believe it when I first heard it. There have been some great ideas thrown out, the vigil last night, a blood drive at redskins park, i even have a new wallpaper for sean. I don't think any other team, anywhere, can match the compassion and unity of Skins Nation

Posted by: tweedr01 | November 27, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

They will play in his honor Sunday. They have already played two weeks w/o him. But not with him never coming back it might be real tough. This sucks guys. Sucks bad. I don't think he will be in the ring of fame but he will be recognized in some way.

Posted by: bienbo | November 27, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

This may come off as sounding at bit selfish but, being a season ticker holder, I'm saddened most by the fact that I won't ever get the chance to take my son to a game at FedEx to see one of daddy's favorite players lay people out. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Taylor family and Sean's Redskins family as well..

-skinz57

Posted by: skinz57 | November 27, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

dave2002 - eat a dick.

rip 21. love you homie.

Posted by: mista_crunk | November 27, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

That is not selfish skins57. Everyone says that every time someone passes who they car about " i will never see him/ her again" I think we all feel that way.
RIP SEAN

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes the best way for a football player to deal with their grief is to get back out there on the football field. I'm sure Sean Taylor would want them to get out there and fight their guts out in his honor on sunday. But I guess you have to get the players opinion on that one. If the players and coaches think the game should be postponed, I would by all means support them. This is a game afterall. But it might be theraputic for them to get on the football field on sunday.

Posted by: kurtus25 | November 27, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Who thinks the game should be played this Sunday?

Posted by: tdskinz | November 27, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

THAT'S TRUE THEY CAN TAKE OUT THEIR ANGER AND SADNESS ON SUNDAY WHAT BETTER WAY THEN TO KICK SOME AS*

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Sean. It was a joy and a pleasure watching you play on Sundays. You will be missed.

Posted by: Eagle2X | November 27, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 27, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

When I woke up this morning, and heard the news, I could only say one word: s*$#. Right now, my emotions are tinged with a wordless, palpable numbness at Sean's passing.

I mourn not only for the person we saw on the field, but the person off it, as well. I mourn for the family that lost a son, a fiancee, and a father.

Thoughts and prayers to give Sean's friends and family the heart and strength to continue on through a dark, dark time.

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 27, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Dear Lord -
During this season of Thanksgiving and Christmas, we are faced with the tragic loss of a young man who was certainly on the right path of becoming a man into his own, a loving father, son, brother, friend and teammate. We thank you for bringing him into our lives, for having him entertain us with his awesome skills on the football field, for demonstrating that one can overcome the adversity of our pasts. We pray for his soul, that you receive it, bless it and care for it. We pray for his little girl, fiancee, family and friends, that you give them the strength to make it through these hard times. We pray that you give his teammates the strength and courage to persevere and honor his legacy. And we pray for all of us, who have been humbled by this news, that you provide us this strength to cope with this tradgedy as it affects us all differently in our own walk of life. Rest in Peace #21. Amen.

Posted by: jclansburgh | November 27, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

jessie31202,
So let me get this straight, a guy who is notorious for late hits and hits out of bounds and brandishes a weapon and on probation should be in the ring of HONOR? Go Dallas! 10 -1!

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Thank you JC, that was beautiful.

Posted by: vapensant | November 27, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I am a Cowboys fan who lives in the DC area......I think I may hang one Redskin jersey amongst my collection of jerseys - No 21. The kid was a WONDERFUL football player, and it seems that he was getting past the bad things that happened to him. I am simply stunned. RIP young man!

Posted by: coricoates | November 27, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

When a tragedy like this happens your first response is sadness and grief. At some some point it is very natural to feel angry and down right mad because you do not know why this happened. We have a team that we all love dearly and now is the time to support all the players and the coaches in their time of need. We do have great people and leaders on this team who will help us through this. Life does go on and Sean would want the team to come together as one. The game of football does not mean anything but coming together as a family is what we need to do.God Bless you Sean Taylor and your family.

Posted by: rmoore | November 27, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The skins should wear the socks that Sean got fined for wearing.
I still can't believe it.
RIP #21

Posted by: token_crip | November 27, 2007 08:31 AM

At first I thought this was a perfect idea! But he got his life together and was still dominating even when following the rules. I think they'd honor his memory better by remembering him in some other way within the rules of the game and stepping up their play, studying more, finding a way to recover as a team.

God bless his soul and family. And you and yours, 4th.

Posted by: johncnichols | November 27, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I never thought I could actually shed tears for a man I had no personal ties with.

Then it hit me.

Sean Taylor was someone who all skins fans cheered for. We don't give nicknames to scrubs, and he damn sure was far from that, on the field, and in life. I am VERY angry with the national media, the fu%#ing idiot posters who actually have the nerve to rejoice, or those who are insighting that he was on the path of destruction.

Thats bulls*^&.

What is really sad is that his daughter will never truly know her father. How he dedicated changing his life because of her, the type of man he was in general. I think we as people need to set aside petty differences, and try to hold and cherish life.

Long live life.

PS- Skinz, I think you should've kept your old moniker. Everytime you will post it would give fond memories of #21. Also...

F inbred
F dave2002
F ESPN
F the bastards that did this

RIP Sean Taylor.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 27, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Dear Inbred,
You can feel that way.
You have the right to ask some tough questions.
Also the Ring is for accomplishment not sympathy due to an early death, yes.

But you also reaveal your weakness / lack of class, that you cannot wait to post this some other time. You post it now, on the morning Sean Taylor has died from being murdered?

Sean Taylor was our best player...
T.O. knows it is the truth.
Imagine if it were Tony Romo for example being murdered. How would you feel to read Skin fans posting "Go Skins" on your blog?

Yes, Dallas is 10-1, but today, you personally are a loser to do such.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 27, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Not sure there's anything I can say that matters at this point other than Rest In Peace, Sean.

Posted by: mcsommers | November 27, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Eagles fan here. So sad to hear about this. Thoughts and praers to his family. Reminds me of when the Eagles lost Jerome Brown way to early. I agree with the some of the posts above and the Skins should retire his jersey. Here is an portion of a poem by A.E. Housman I heard shortly after Brown passed. Felt it carried the point then as it does now:

"To an Athlete Dying Youg"

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Posted by: t_hutch22 | November 27, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to second what a few other people have said about ESPN's atrocious, ATROCIOUS coverage of this. The comparison to the TO situation is apt, as that was all anyone on the network talked about for days afterwards. And you're telling me that horrendous game last night and Chan Gailey getting fired is more important than a Pro Bowl Player being mowed down in his own home with his 1 year old daughter sleeping just feet away? Darrent Williams of the Broncos got more coverage than this as well. Why isn't there someone at the scene reporting on the latest in the investigation? And not to pile on Wilbon, but he deserves some sort of reprimand for his comment. If a white columnist had made the same comment, he would probably be off the air now. The point is, no one knows what happened to Taylor, but it seems he did not bring this on himself. To jump to the conclusion that he "deserved" this and was a "THUG" is preposterous. I thought we wanted people who have made mistakes to have the opportunity to change.

Posted by: vjr9r | November 27, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

To all the caring, loving, and intelligent people out there: Please just ignore the haters. They get on and post to get the reaction..they thrive on it, usually because they have never known love, and lack any kind of compassion. Just rest easy knowing the fact that they have to live their lives as worthless human beings (if you can even call them that).

Posted by: rbfett | November 27, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

RedskinRay1,
So you are comparing a THUG like "SEANTay" to the likes of Tony Romo? PLEASE, not even in the same league. Tony Romo has more class in his pinky than SEAN TAY could ever hope to obtain! GO DALLAS!

Posted by: inbred | November 27, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This goes out to jessie31202...

I have always tried to give Dallas fand the benefit of the doubt because the only experiences I have had with them at Texas stadium were polite, respectful and generally pleasant; but today you have shown a bright light on what a classless and callow person you are. Anyone who thinks that it is appropriate to come on here where REAL people are REALLY grieving over the DEATH of a REAL person, and talk smack about the deceased and then follow it up with a shout out to your stupid team shows an incredible lack of class.

Unfortunately, lack of class is something that people of all backgrounds show at the most inopportune times. Shame on you...

I sure hope people don't treat you with the same disrespect when YOU die-- and I also hope your KIDS, PARENTS and Friends don't have to read the comments of insensitive jerks like you.

Posted by: jlarranaga | November 27, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

taylor wasn't the celebrity TO is -- that's why espn isn't covering this.

Posted by: sales | November 27, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

jlarranga....that last comment you made is actually for inbred.....not jessie.....and as a Cowboy fan (A HUGE COWBOY FAN), I could not agree with you more. I can't believe people are talking about 10-1, or "late hits", etc when a human life has been taken. I believe that compassion, and "simple common sense" are not in some peoples hearts or vocabularies! Inbred, I would hope no one would be suddenly be taken away from you - I bet your attitude would be much different.

Now.....let's hope that justice can be served in this case as well. It may be a little premature to talk about since this has just happened, but there is a murderer running around in Miami.

Posted by: coricoates | November 27, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe it..I thought for sure he would make it, I didn't even want to consider the fact that he wouldn't pull through the night.
I'm devastated. He was an amazing player and was just such a beast on the field. Taylor is my boyfriends favorite player and we would have talks about the crucial hard hits he put on opponents.
You will be missed and the Redskins nation feels for you and your family Sean, may you rest in peace.

Posted by: alien81689 | November 27, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

THE DASH - BY LINDA ELLIS - 1996

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of his friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the second with tears,
but he said that what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth,
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars, the house, the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard,
are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.
(You could be at "dash mid-range.")

If we could just slow down enough
to considerwhat's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And...be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile,
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be pleased with the things they have to say
about how you spent your dash?

BURNIE424

Posted by: burnie424 | November 27, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for setting me staright coricoates...

My comments were intended for INBRED and NOT jessie31202.

Thanks again.

RIP 21

Posted by: jlarranaga | November 27, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sean's family, his girlfriend, and his baby girl.

I think that I speak for all Redskins fans when I say that Sean was our pride and joy. We have watched him grow and and we all looked forward to rooting for him for years to come. Sean and LaRon seemed destined to become one of the best safety tandems the league had ever seen. #21 will always be remembered in DC.

Hail to Sean Taylor.

Posted by: 05rlc | November 27, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

This is a sad moment as a Skins fan, sports fan, and in life in general. It is hard to summon anger at the moment and direct it properly but it pains me that we are discussing this guys on-field behavior or anything else from his past that no one here has any personal involvement with. No one deserves to be gunned down in their own house. Jason, love you man, but why is the fact that Sean Taylor spit in Micheal Pittman's face relevant to his young, tragic death. Does he deserve it more and deserve less compassion than someone who didn't violate NFL rules? Come on. Everyone needs to look in the damn mirror for a second. I doubt anyone here hasn't broken a law at one time or another and no one knew about it. ESPN and the media love to vilify athletes because it pays the bills and plays to unfortunate sterotypes. Step back and show some f'in class. This 24 year old kid was murdered. If Tom Brady lay dead the world would stop. Is it so different? I know I am talking to the minority here but gain some perspective somehow. Read a book or something. To the team, friends, and family, we'll remember 24 - truly a treat to watch play football.

Posted by: katamian | November 27, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

sean's spirit, and the identity he gave will live on.

Posted by: chrisfdwk | November 27, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse