Sean Taylor Honored in Miami

Amy Shipley sends this item from Miami:

Former teammates and coaches of Sean Taylor have been invited to attend the first-annual Sean Taylor Classic at the University of Miami Nov. 8-9, the Greater Miami Pop Warner League announced Wednesday.

Taylor, who died last November of a gunshot wound after intruders broke into his Miami home, got his start in football with the local league, which renamed its annual bowl weekend--now in its 37th season--to honor Taylor's memory.

Former teammates and coaches from Miami's Gulliver Prep, the University of Miami and Washington Redskins are invited to participate in the Nov. 8 opening ceremony at Cobb Stadium, which will kick off a two-day, nine-game event. Donations are also requested to help defray the $15,000 in events costs for officials, trophies, bleachers, medical personnel and others.

Those interested in donating or attending should contact Frank Gowan, the president of the Greater Miami Pop Warner League at fgowin@kbmco.com. Tax-deductable donations should be made payable to Greater Miami Pop Warner League, Inc., c/o Frank Gowin, 8700 SW 159 Street, Palmetto Bay, FL 33157.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 22, 2008; 2:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eight Are Out as Practice Begins
Next: After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR

Comments

1st for the 1st time

Posted by: franky4fingers | October 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Long live the Reaper

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 22, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

captjim, good to see you're back; always appreciate the opinions and a good pile on.

With Springs, it's going to come down to $, IMO. I betcha he's gonna ask for top corner dollars, and we won't be willing to give it (nor should we)- with emergence of Rogers it doesn't make financial sense. We've been phasing him out already, having him lineup like a safety in some formations. He didn't want to renegotiate a year or 2 ago, and I think that ticked off Danny. He's been good when he's healthy, but he's getting old and does not stay healthy.

Not only is TO in Dallas, but so is his beleaugered father and family.

Posted by: p1funk | October 22, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Man, I miss ST.

Posted by: p1funk | October 22, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

i'll have another one coming shortly....

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 22, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Man, I miss ST.

Posted by: p1funk

No doubt!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Damn...this always knocks me down a peg. What a loss. Can't believe it's almost a year since he departed. So sad.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

RIP #21

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 22, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Briefly met ST in Chuck E Cheese (DTC) last year the week before the season started. He was there with his family...just enjoying that time with her. He was very pleasant and a real gentleman. Didn't ask for an autograph and didn't blow up his spot cuz I knew that wasn't him. But that moment really proved to me that he was misunderstood. He was a great guy.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

This freakin' sucks the more I hear about it...

I still can't beleive that dude will no longer punishing someone coming over the middle.

I know people have been getting the snot knocked out of them before Sean Taylor even stepped on the field, but everytime I see someone get knocked I can't but help of 2-1.

Dude was already a terror on the field as far as hitting; his 5 INT's he had before they played EIGHT games, showed that he was getting better in coverage rather quickly.

I don't give a damn what anyone says: Sean Taylor would've been the greatest safety of all-time, period.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Favre was absolutely amazed at ST last season. He could not believe that ST chased down two bombs and picked 'em. TO was so afraid of him that he pulled up everytime he went across the middle. The kid could be SS, FS and CB if he had to. Hell, he could've even run back punts and played some RB too. (Ever see him run thru all 11 players in HS?). He was the epitome of MEAST (Man Beast).

Posted by: redpitbull98 | October 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

But p1funk - how about the other points made? Do we really feel we are flush enough at DB to let him go? What if Rogers gets injured? Also, an earlier column by Jason focused on younger players looking up to hime and learning from him Plus, he seems to be still a great DB even when he is not 100% physically. Danny has deep pockets, I agree - pay the man - keep him.

Posted by: captjim | October 22, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Great News. Wonderful News.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 22, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

RIP Reaper. I still have the de-cleater he gave to an Eagles receiver last season as my screen saver. Man, him and Landry would have been the G.O.A.T.

Posted by: gregskins | October 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I will always be sad about the loss of Teezy. And I agree RedDMV that he would've been the GOAT (greatest of all time) without at doubt! It is sad, and unfair, but such is life sometimes. All we can do is remember him and cherish the time we had with him. The greatest honor ever though, will be if our Skins can get another Lombardi Trophy in his honor. And while it wish it had never happened, I think his murder has made the Skins a closer, tougher and more formidable team mentally and emotionally. And I think that will pay off.

Posted by: marleyb313 | October 22, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

It always makes me sad to think about 21 and all. But this is very cool and makes me pretty happy. I bet that pop warner league has their best year ever this year, by far.

Posted by: WrongDog | October 22, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

was my favorite player on the team and in the entire nfl...nobody, not ed reed, not palomalu, not bob sanders..NOBODY played the game like Sean Taylor...to all you true redskins fans (diehards) keep his memory alive..and im sure u guys know, but portis is playin for Sean and look at the season he is having thus far..he doesnt talk about playin for Sean but i can juss tell by the nonstop hard running and the yellow t shirt he wears under his pads every week..rip to the best safety of all team..luv u man!

Posted by: ripmeast21 | October 23, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

RI NATION & NATE,

Those of you who are well connected inside R.I., will you guys rally around this web address and help push some donations for these kids? NATE isn't the only one I should point out, but you guys and a couple of you gals, know who you are. What a better cause to help... I hope you all are well. Getting chilly in DC, but Texas is still nice and warm... take care!!!

Clegg