Search for Jansen's Replacement Begins

The departure of Jon Jansen brought attention to the offensive line and the men who would replace him as the first day of the week's organized team activities began. Barry Svrluga checked in with Stephon Heyer, the undrafted third-year Redskins player and erstwhile starter last year, and free agents Mike Williams and Jeremy Bridges. The message of the day from Jim Zorn? The competition is open.

"That was one of the things that I think has been the biggest question mark for me after the season was over," Zorn said. "I didn't think it was locked down by Jon at the end of the season, and I didn't think as we went through the offseason, either. . . . I've told all these guys, 'This position is really open.' It's legitimately open, and we're looking for the right guy there."

By Cindy Boren  |  June 1, 2009; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogers Ailing; Charges against Bridges Dropped
Next: Williams Eschews Tofu Conversion

Comments

Posted by: rcjordan44 | June 1, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

lets hope someone steps up or it will be another long season!!!

Posted by: rcjordan44 | June 1, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"If I was a little guy, I may sneak a Five Guys burger in, but I'm not," Williams said. "AND I'm not president. So that's two strikes against me."

Hmmm sounds like MistaMoe?

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

These guys have to remember ... there could be TWO jobs open either now or at some point. Samuels is not ready ... anyone seen him out there yet? MistaMoe? Yeah, that's a scary thought, its why I think Snyder almost has to try to find a way to get Levi Jones. But I'm probably wrong ...

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

From Matt Terl ( a pretty fair replacement for Jasno me thinks?);

"I talked to Carter about those two; here's his take after one practice of lining up across from them. 'Stephon's always been good,' Carter said, 'and he's been consistent. I think the main thing now is just him being healthy, and I think he's worked his butt off in the offseason toward that.'"

"What about Williams? Is this for real? Can he really make it all the way back? 'I think he can. He's been working really hard to shed those pounds, along with his diet. He's already as strong as an ox, and I think it's just about consistency and longevity, with a big guy like that.'"

'Pears to me as if Williams has already impressed enough to win the job ... but everyone is being kinda political about it BECAUSE:

1. They need a good swingman. Heyer fits that to a tee, making him very valuable.
2. Samuels may not be able to make it all the way back or last the entire season.

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Cro-Mags -"Death Camps", great song for the MOTHERF*CKIN' N..F...EL...

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting to note that the sports bog is in the interstitial area on Matt Terl's Redskins.com blog ... where is RI is not.

I wonder why?

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Frak getting all NYC hardcore on us......I am more punk than HC...but don't forget Murphy's Law!

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

(Of course as I type this, I realize that the answer is, in fact, self evident, and wonder why I keep beating my head against this particular wall)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | June 1, 2009 10:36 PM
=====================================

Because it's there, JohnD. Try the icebag.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 1, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

who are you, who are you, who are you...

Are you Snake?

Are you Owl?

Who are you, who are you, who are you..

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Two DC homeys on that crew- Harley and the Hawaiian Hippie!!

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of Jasnos picture now?
BRING BACK EDWIN WILLIAMS.

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | June 1, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I love to play Ministry before Skins games, riles you up..( Alien routes for Dallas/Austin, but he's a homey

This one works:

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

(FEMA camps after Cheney nukes Milwaukee don't stand a chance)

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Saw some highlights of the o-line competitors on CSN. Heyer's body looks different. Zorn said if he to pick a starter today, Heyer would be the guy. You guys who say Heyer isn't starter quality are going to be eating crow. Mark my word.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Of course its an open competition. No one has earned a job in that group.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 2, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

(FEMA camps after Cheney nukes Milwaukee don't stand a chance)

Posted by: frak | June 1, 2009 11:24 PM
======================================'

The girl from I've been bombed by FEMA.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

...Zorn said if he to pick a starter today, Heyer would be the guy. You guys who say Heyer isn't starter quality are going to be eating crow. Mark my word.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 1, 2009 11:31 PM

Zorn on Bridges: "I don't know much about Jeremy Bridges yet, but I watch him, and I see another athlete that can really change direction..."

OK, so Zorn barely knows one guy and the other guy was pushing 500 lbs not too long ago. Yeah, I guess Heyer would start today given those bizarre circumstances. That ain't sayin' Heyer's starter quality. That's likely just saying he's a placeholder until a real starter comes along.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 2, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Biggest Losers in the Offseason

Washington: Jason Campbell should feel unloved. The Redskins tried replacing him through an unsuccessful trade attempt for Jay Cutler. Washington, though, shouldn't be blamed for trying. Campbell is clearly the fourth-best quarterback in the division and failed to make many big plays in the second half of the 2008 season as the Redskins faded after a 6-2 start. Washington should be better defensively with the addition of free-agent defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, but the Redskins still lack a proven pass rusher. The Redskins hope rookie Brian Orakpo can make a quick impact, but that's asking a lot from their 2009 first-round draft choice.

article by Alex Marvez

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 2, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

So why is Marvez bagging on Campbell?

Campbell's avg passer rating, broken out by the defenses he played against.

Vs defenses ranked 1st-2nd (Bal, Pitt)
54.8 (2 games)

Vs defenses ranked 3rd-8th (jints, phil, dal)
78.2 (6 games)

Vs defenses ranked 9th-32nd
99.6 (8 games)

Campbell had a 78.2 passer rating in the NFC East. How did the other QBs fare vs the Skins in 2008?

romo vs Skins 81.7
mcnabb vs Skins 74.5
manning vs Skins 74.8

On average, the QB rating vs the Skins in the NFC East is 77, essentially identical to Campbell's 78 rating.

The NFC East defenses were rated 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th (jints, Skins, iggles, dal).

All the naysayers who think this kid just can't cut it, from Danny Snyder on down, are missing it. When compared to the other QBs in the division, Jason Campbell is right there with them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 2, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,

That is some high quality fun with statistics on Campbell. I've said a million times that he's not nearly as bad as many up here think (or as the Redskins brass seems to think). I think a full compliment of weapons and a solid line, not to mention THE SAME OFFENSE FOR MORE THAN 2 YEARS, and Campbell could be pretty good.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is only as good as the players around him. He won't put the team on his back and carry them but with help he can be a very good QB.

That is the case with most QB's in the NFL.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 2, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

My gut tells me (and what I hear players say) is that JC is much faster in the offense this year then he was last season.

And whats the deal with people being "ill" after Mosses birthday every year?

And whats the deal with previews for Terminator Salvation spoiling all the plot twists to that movie?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

That is the case with most QB's in the NFL.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 2, 2009 7:20 AM

AMEN...just because Campbell isn't Dan Marino or John Elway doesn't mean that he's not a good QB. Only a couple guys per generation is good enough to carry an entire offense on their back regardless of the team around them. If you take Campbell for what he is and don't expect him to be the 2nd coming of (insert name of HoF QB here), then many folks would appreciate him more.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 7:28 AM

And this generation it's Cutler and Sanchez. At least, that's the way the owner was playing it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 7:30 AM

And we all know about Snyder's accumen when it comes to picking players...

Cutler is the most overrated QB in the game right now and I'd actually like to see Sanchez take a snap before we annoint him the next great thing in the NFL. Sanchez needs to thank the sweet baby Jesus he didn't come to Washington because you can't get a much better situation at the top of the draft than the Jets.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys ever notice how in every conversation about right tackles, the situations at other places on the line seem to come up? Even if one player clearly wins the starting job at right tackle, the other guys are still in the race. Samuels is not healthy. Thomas has neck problems. Rabach is not strong enough to handle big nose tackles. Everyone has been focused on right tackle because on a very leaky ship, that's where the biggest hole is, but it is not over and done with right tackle being solved. At some point this season we could see Heyer at left tackle, Dockery at guard, Rabach at center, Bridges at guard and Williams at right tackle. Think about that Jason Campbell! Not saying it's going to be like that but right tackle only solves one problem and there is still a lot of problems when you look at depth. The Redskins should still be bringing in free agents...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 2, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I believe Thomas had neck problems, but off-season surgery has alleviated that issue.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

The team did not address the line in a glamor way but lets be honest they did get some younger prospect guys on the line.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I'm not sure I'd call Mike "Yay...I'm under 400 pounds now" Williams and Jeremy Bridges count as "younger prospects". They're the typical solution to the Skins line problems over the last several years, "just-a-guy" players who are at the tail end of their prime.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Thats why I used the word Younger not young.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Alan4, Heyer also got the call last season ahead of Jansen. That's likely why he's in the lead not the competition. I am looking forward to you of all people coming up here this season and acknowledging you were wrong about Heyer and the o-line. Bridges is going to play inside if anywhere. In the meantime, try another note on that horn you're blowing.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 2, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Jobim is a god, but Williams sure had the pipes, eh? totally underrated in my book, Mr. William.

...Then again I also like today's listening assignment:

Jonathan & Darleen Edwards!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Clinton Portis was in the building for OTAs. He just didn't preactice.

Per Elfin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

And on the line mess - they HAVE to bring someone else in. They must be planning that otherwise they would have kept Jansen, wouldn't they? And I agree, you add Samules age to the mix it just exacerbates the problem. And you know what your priest told you about exacerbating!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Lots of good tidbits, including Zorn disclosing that Randy Thomas recently had his knee scoped...

And I agree with LH. Heyer should have been starting last season. But he will this season with Fat Mike backing him up. Rinehart will be ready this season.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Thats why I used the word Younger not young.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 8:47 AM

I understand that, but prospects says to me you have some young guys who have some upside. Williams and Bridges are vets in their prime (at least age-wise), but I think they're about as good as they'll ever get. And since they were available to us on the cheap, that's not necessarily good.

My outlook for 2009 is pessimistic for several reasons, but chief among them is the Redskins arrogant approach to building (and I use "building" for lack of a better word) their lines.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't think they cut Jansen to make room for anything they lost cap space from the deal. I think they cut him to make massive space for next season.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I thought next season was unrestricted without any cap. If that's true, why would JASNO's numbers matter?

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 2, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I think they cut him to make massive space for next season.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 9:11 AM

Why do you make cap space for an uncapped year? I think they cut him because they realized he had nothing to contribute and because the coaches didn't like his attitude.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think our line is good this year. The one to look at if any would be RThomas. with his neck and knee. But we got Rinehart and/or Bridges to plug in........

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:20 AM |

And the other part of it is that he was due a fairly large roster bonus plus a workout bonus. Cap space isn't money, but roster bonuses are.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't thinking cap space - was thinking roster spot.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Neither Heyer or Rinehart are ready to be starters. Heyer didn't do anything special when he was in last year.

At this point, I'd rather give it to Williams or Bridges. At least Mike won't get blown back and Bridges has played.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

And yes, he SJKd it up last season... I'm sure Coarch's comments are valid. I just am stupefied thinking they'd just remove an established vet w/ such question marks remaining...

Granted "stupefying" is usually the modifyer for this FO, but when they effectively canned Washington, they were obviously thinking about it. Why not in this case too? I would just love to hear some speculation on what they may be thinking beyond the party line that we've heard.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

O'Hall is now calling himself "Redskins Insider"?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 2, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

peri

"..Samuels may not be able to make it all the way back or last the entire season..."

When you take this statement into account, it makes the following lineup a rather compelling group:

Heyer--lt
Dockery--lg
Rabach--c
Thomas--rg
Bridges--rt

That's 3 new, younger guys added to last year's line.

And M Williams does make a comeback--in what would be one of the best comeback stories in the NFL this year-- the line could become:

Heyer--lt
Dockery--lg
Rabach-c
Bridges-rg
Williams--rt

That's a much younger, athletic, bigger left side with two monster road grater, power blockers on the right.

Rhino, Thomas, E Williams, Burley--back ups.

Would any of this fix the o-line issues we whined about before the draft and give the Vin Man a pass on not taking a player during the draft?

Maybe, maybe not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 2, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ryp

"Neither Heyer or Rinehart are ready to be starters."

Agreed about Rhino, but Heyer is really a left tackle.

In a world of open competition, Heyer would battle Samuels for his job and Bridges and Williams would fight for the right side job.

On any other team, C Samuels would be at the far end of the plank with the pirate ship headed in the other direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 2, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 2, 2009 9:31 AM |

He stopped being an "established vet" last year and became "over the hill." The guy was totally ineffective and he hasn't gotten any better. He was about to collect a big bonus. I don't understand what you think there is other than the "party line." This just doesn't seem at all odd or "stupefying" to me, but a very rational move.

If anything, there are hints that Zorn didn't like Jansen or his attitude. That's based on statements on this blog that Zorn wanted to cut Jansen last year, and the piszy way he acted when Heyer took his job from him.

The mystery, to me, is why they kept him as starter as long as they did.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Alex - O'Halloran did a 'JLaC' type analysis article....

He said what Zorn said, and wrote what he thought the actual reality on the ground appears.

I myself believe it is in between what both said......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

FOR ALL THE KELLEY HATERS:

"
Veteran Santana Moss had a rookie year with the New York Jets that was eerily similar to Kelly's. Moss, a first-rounder in 2001, injured his left knee during his rookie training camp and caught just two passes for 40 yards in five games.

So Moss has made a point of reassuring Kelly that he can learn from his tough start.

"You gotta go through hardship and see how it feels," Moss said. "I didn't know how to take it because I was young. I look back on it and say it built me to be where I am now."
"

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I really hope the impending disaster at O-line doesn't run Zorn and Campbell out of town. I have a feeling that another 8-8 finish because our O-line can't succeed in the Beast will be their undoing.....

Then we'd end up blowing our #16 pick next year on a QB.....

I really hope we at least hold it together enough to make the playoffs and keep those 2.... then spend our ENTIRE draft on O-line... as well as a couple FA pickups.

I think this might be the last stand for Buges, Samuels, Rabach, and Thomas. Gonna be a changing of the guard on the line next year I think... I hope.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 2, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:42 AM

It's a rational move if there's a better option on the roster. And I'm not sure there is. The demise of Jansen is true, but the Redskins routinely put themselves in the situation where they have to hang on to vets well past their usefulness (either because of salaries of said vets or because they've failed to adequately back those players up with draft picks). I don't see why Jansen is any worse a keep than Cornelius Griffin or Randy Thomas or any other vet this team needs to cut.

And how's this for irony: the same Jim Zorn who hates Jansen and couldn't wait to get rid of him played Jansen ahead of Heyer -- the same guy some of you want to replace our only Pro-Bowl lineman with.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"But with Samuels having the rep he does, the competition ain't open--I think Heyer might be ready to replace Samuels if he's given an honest shot."

There's almost no chance of that happening, even if Heyer improves on a the higher end of the scale than most expect. Samuels was in the top 6 in sacks allowed last season (3 total), virtually never had help, and was head and shoulders above everyone else as a run-blocker on the team. And he consistently went up against some of the best pass rushers in the league (Ware, Harrison, Suggs, Cole, Kiwanuka).

Samuels isn't Anthony Munoz, but he's still one of the top 10 tackles in the league. Heyer is well off that status.

Posted by: psps23 | June 2, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 9:52 AM

The key difference is that Kelly had a bad knee BEFORE the Redskins took him, and sounds like a chronic injury. To my knowledge, Moss hasn't had any major knee problems since then. Hamstrings, however...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 9:56 AM

Zorn and Bugel seem to think there is. That's good enough for me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"I don't see why Jansen is any worse a keep than Cornelius Griffin or Randy Thomas or any other vet this team needs to cut."

Cornelius Griffin was the team's best defensive linemen last season, and is still a force on the inside. He is and has been one of the 3 key positional players to this defense since Gregg Williams' arrival (the others being MLB and FS).

Randy Thomas literally has nobody that behind him that can replace him. Could he be upgraded? Sure. But unlike RT where there are former starters on the roster, RG is basically Thomas, then nobody.

Posted by: psps23 | June 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 9:56 AM

Zorn and Bugel seem to think there is. That's good enough for me.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 10:02 AM

Zorn and Bugel also started him over Heyer last year. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Zorn and Bugel also started him over Heyer last year. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 10:08 AM |

And they cut him this year. Just sayin'...

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

awesome blog entry...nothing like recycling a story. I guess this passes as top notch journalism in these lean days.

Posted by: guinness4health | June 2, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Also, for comic relief, read the comments! Our trash is their gold! We should have traded JAnsen to the lions for at least a 3rd rounder!

Also (in their comments section):

HaMMeRSickle = The Truth

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 2, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | June 2, 2009 10:04 AM

The fact that Griffin was the team's best D-lineman is an indictment of that line AND the Redskins FO. He hasn't been a "force" since 2005 and has only played a full season here once. While I think he'll play better with Haynesworth next to him (on paper, at least), I still don't find him to be worth the money he's paid.

I'll grant you that there's nothing behind Randy Thomas...but then again, there's nothing behind ALL of the starters on the O-line. And that's the problem!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 2, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 2, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The mystery, to me, is why they kept him as starter as long as they did.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm afraid we might find out the answer to that question this season.

Posted by: WorstSeat | June 2, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse