Secondary injuries give Barnes his chance

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall sat out Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles with a knee sprain. Veteran Fred Smoot was knocked from the game in the fourth quarter after suffering a blow to the head, and second-year cornerback Justin Tryon suffered a hip pointer, came out, tried to go back in, but couldn't last.

So by the end of the game, when the Eagles were driving for the winning field goal, the cornerbacks were five-year veteran Carlos Rogers on one side, rookie Kevin Barnes -- who hadn't played in a regular-season NFL game in his life -- on the other, and third-year pro Byron Westbrook, a practice squad player in 2007 and '08, in the slot.

"I never seen so many guys go down," Rogers said.

Tryon, who recently has taken playing time from both Rogers and Smoot, marked the day by coming up with his first career interception. On the Eagles' first possession of the third quarter, end Chris Wilson hit Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb as he threw, and Tryon settled under the ball, a play that led to a Redskins' field goal.

"I was just at the right place at the right time," Tryon said. "It's not a pick that I really want. Shoot, I'll take it. A tipped ball, man. I'm glad I was there to make the play, but man, I want interceptions that I make."

Tryon was injured in the third quarter. He said he went back in for a play, "But I had to come back out. It just tightened up all on my left side." Still, he said, "I'm definitely playing next week."

Barnes, a third-round pick out of the University of Maryland who went to Old Mill High in Glen Burnie, missed the last part of his senior season with the Terrapins because of a shoulder injury, and he hadn't played in a game with the Redskins. But when Smoot went down, he knew it was his time.

"They brought me here for a reason," Barnes said. "I always knew I was a play away from going in. As soon as I saw Smoot go down, then the adrenaline started pumping. I've been waiting for this for 12 weeks now."

The Eagles picked on Barnes on a third-down play that kept alive the drive on which they kicked the winning field goal. McNabb found rookie receiver Jeremy Maclin on the left side, and gunned a ball to the outside, where Barnes had no shot to prevent the completion -- which went for six yards and a first down.

"I would've had an interception," Barnes said. "It was just a great ball by McNabb, to the outside foot of Maclin. If it had been anywhere else I would've intercepted it."

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said the Redskins didn't alter much when the younger players came in.

"What we tried to do was play our coverage," Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said. "We protected Kevin a little bit by playing some underneath coverage, but we had to get after McNabb as well. I thought he did a fine job. He reacted well, and that certainly wasn't any cause for alarm for us. Both of those guys stood up."

Barnes's evaluation of his play: "I did fine," he said.

He also learned that he would rather play than sit.

"I don't ever plan on coming out again," he said. "Maybe not starting, but I'm going to play."

By Barry Svrluga  |  November 29, 2009; 7:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fletcher's hit leaves Jackson with concussion
Next: Kelly making strides along the right route

Comments

THANK GOD....ONLY 5 MORE GAMES........EVERYTHING HAS BEEN TOO UNSTABLE ALL YEAR.....THANKS DAN AND VINNY.

Posted by: ghostrider505 | November 29, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

"Secondary injuries give Barnes his chance"

Most teams systematically give their young'ns a chance to show what they got.

The redskins depend on injuries for that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

strange, a normal team at 3 and 7 would think to get its young players some time and real experience....we have to be forced into it by injuries.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 29, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"I never seen so many guys go down," Rogers said.

He must've missed that sex party at the local prison.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter who was in. Everyone knew the Skins defense would give up the TD/2 pt conversion/and FG when it counted.

I think if the Eagles had 4th and 25 to go that there is a high probability that the Eagles would get the first.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or was Edwin Williams pretty solid at RG???

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 29, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The Final 5:

12/6 VS Saints

12/13 @ Raiders

12/21 VS Giants

12/27 VS Cowboys

1/3 @ Chargers

3 home games to finish the season would be pimpin' if we were in the playoff hunt.

But we are not.

And with Grilliams and Mr. Brees blowing our way, this Sunday the redskins may feel as if they are being hunted.

Oh well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"Was it just me, or was Edwin Williams pretty solid at RG?"

Yeah, he was.

And just think: but for a serious of injuries, he'd never would have gotten a chance to play.

I think we posted this point already.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

So maybe hire Russ Grimm - He is part of a pretty good offensive team in Arizona and was part of a pretty good crew in Pitts-Vegas. Probably a discipline guy, cut from the Bugel camp. A run a lot, play action pass from the Joe Jackson Gibbs camp, and that would fit our personnel. Will certainly go after the O line in the off season. Probably will be cheap and would partner with a new GM. Plus he may be in the running for the HOF - seems like that would buy instant respect from his charges in the locker room. Lastly, a former Redskin player with a son (Cody) playing in the area would probably have a lot more at stake in winning then that paycheck.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought Williams looked pretty good at RG. At 6'3" 315, he might also make a good Center - his position when he played at Maryland. Upgrading Rabach would be good, if possible.

I'd like to see what Mike Williams can do at RG also. I'm thinking the former tackle might have the athleticism to be a pretty good pulling Guard, and his size would certainly allow him to dominate at that position if the other skills were there.

Guess we'll just have to wait to see how all this plays out.

And now that we are soooooo out of the playoffs, can we PLEASE see what Marko Mitchel can do?

Nice to Barnes on the field finally...

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

We can not escape this Groundhog's Day Team called the redskins......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes to Grimm. More important to find the right GM.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

are we trying for a record on not only the most worthless season but also the most stupid, selfish, un-team quotes ever? I mean where does Danny the Boy get these brain-off mouth-on village idiots?

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 29, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

really, and to echo the sentiments above, PLAY THE DAMN ROOKS AND BACKUPS ALREADY to see what they got.

isn't it obvious that we get better play out of our second string than we do out of the first? hell, the rooks might actually bring something, it's not like we have ANYTHING to lose.

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 29, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the guy from Tennessee a couple years ago still out there as a GM guy? I know Bruce Allen is. Maybe even Mike "Macy Day Parade Float" Holgren would be a good fit in the Bill "Also a parade float" Parcells mode.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

grimm would be a great choice... too bad casserly would never come back...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I think you are missing the point. I believe Tyron was stating that when the ball drops in your lap you should get an INT. He wants to contribute to the team by making plays such as INTs in coverage. There is nothing wrong with that. People needed to stop letting their hatred of the FO cloud everything about the Redskins.

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The future for this franchise stinks,we are stuck with a starting running back with diminishing skills who's the owner's pet and untradeable because of the cap hit we would take, a QB who has been undermined this past offseason by the owner and a GM who is arguably the worst personel exec in the history of pro football,a head coach who is a lame duck, the remainder of the season with only "pride" to play for(yeah that works everytime!) and a fan base that is ready to tear Fed EX down not to mention the worst play by play man to ever call a skins game and oh did i mention there's nothing left to play for,well there's always next year.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 29, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:20 PM

------------------------------------------

ron wolf, former packer gm, is available and lives in maryland... sign him as gm

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 29, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wolf would be great... I forgot about him.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Wolf might be good (has been retired for a few years) but has never expressed an interest in returning. Floyd Reese was the Tenn GM but there was so compliants about his personnel decisions (Pacman draft being most notable). Allen is available but the talent level in Tampa while he was there wasn't that great.

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 29, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Holmgren is NOT a GM. It wasn't until he gave up GM duties in Seattle that things started to get good for him. His only Superbowl came in Green bay when he was just coach.

Frankly, I think we should forget about the WCO experiment and get back to power football with a more vertical pass attack.

WCO was Vinnie's idea - that should tell you all you need to know...

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wolf would be great... I forgot about him.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:26 PM |

Great long-term plan. Ron Wolf is 71 years old and has been out of football for eight years. This is like the second coming of Pepper Rogers.

The idea, gents, is to get the next Ron Wolf, not the shell of the last Ron Wolf.

Posted by: League-Source | November 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Morocco Brown?

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

with Carlos outta here next year and Smoot not getting any better with age.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if our starters next year were Hall and Tryon(I've been pimping his improvement lately and he's definitely quick)

Barnes is a big physical corner for the slot.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

The triplets keep getting better=good news for our next starting QB.

I have to imagine Colt will get the opportunity to compete for the job.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wolf would be great... I forgot about him.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:26 PM |

Posted by: League-Source | November 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Wolf could set up the program here and pick his replacement. In short, we don't have a culture if the GM here anymore. We would have to start over and even an old Ron Wolf could get those wheels in motion - maybe even set up Morroco Brown to take over. Sure short term - but do you trust Snyder to find the next Ron Wolf? Or even a Ron Jon surf shop in Florida?

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

vicc

"Edwin Williams looks real good at Guard and if he is not starting quality then at the very least he should be #2guard on the depth chart..."

I say we are anticipating next season's big training camp battle:

Rabach v. Williams

Williams should be given a serious chance to start at center.

And as for the quard spot, I'd spend Haynesworth type money for a right guard and draft a right tackle in the second round.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Rabach better learn to long snap b/c Albright can't play forever and that might be Rabachs only "in".

DTs are the biggest players on the defense, so how long before the Skins realize that a sub 300lb Center will never push the pocket on runs and will need help on pass protection more times than not.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Ron Wolf would be great... I forgot about him.

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 8:26 PM |

Posted by: League-Source | November 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssh1549 | November 29, 2009 9:10 PM

i hear you there... danny has to step away from the football side of football and just write the checks... ron wolf would be great then bring back martin mayhew in a few years after he gets his feet wet in detriot... a grimm w/ wolf/mayhew combo would be pretty spectaular...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 29, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

"Williams should be given a serious chance to start at center."

Yessir.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

i coulda swore I saw a stat during our final drive of the game say that Jason Campbell has 7 game winning drives.

Can some1 please remind me of two or three of them? And did Jason Campbell lead us on game winning drives when we needed a TD or a FG?

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The triplets keep getting better=good news for our next starting QB.

I have to imagine Colt will get the opportunity to compete for the job.

Posted by: Vicc

I knew it was only a matter of time before you threw a JC jab.

You are correct though, the 2nd rounders have gotten better and better.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc

The one I remember most the Saints game last year when he hit Santana on a fly route.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

"I knew it was only a matter of time before you threw a JC jab." -Posted by: dcwun

Yea but you have to admit, I've cooled off on the JC bashing, and periculum might be right that since JC is as good as gone, there is little reason to keep beating that dead horse.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun

Hopefully you will remember one by the end of the game next week as well.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"My non Redskin-Fan friends consistently say the weakest link on our O-line is Rabach."

Not sure he's the weakest link with Heyer on the field, but there is a lot of opportunity for improvement there. He doesn't get talked about a lot because he's one of the few healthy linemen we have.

I'm hoping Edwin Williams will be able to win that job next year and raise the level of play.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc

I think periculum is wrong. He'll be back for at least 2 more years because he won't cost that much money and there's no one available that would be a significant upgrade. I think we all know where the money is going this off season.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Rabach gets blown into the backfield on every play. This pushes the pocket backwards and causes the QB to have to throw in place instead of stepping into the throw. I've been saying this all year. Rabach needs to go. Edwin looked good at right guard though. Count me in as one of the people who want to see him get a shot at center and try BMW at right guard. With those two, 2 bookend tackles, and a couple of running backs we could turn this around pretty quickly.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 29, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

You guys are living in cloud cuckoo land. Too much Snyder/Cerrato has you thinking that Ron Wolf can solve our problems.

Ron Wolf = Pepper Rogers

Posted by: League-Source | November 29, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 29, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

You read my post from earlier, didn't you? I said the exact same thing.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Lets get this blog going folks

*REPOST* SANS THE ARGUMENTATIVE LANGUAGE

So our record in between our last Superbowl appearance and when Synder took over the team was 45-66.

Hmmm.. I wonder who some of you blame for that period of mediocrity?

The problem has never been the owner and in the late 90's early 2000's we put together a STELLAR offensive line with ANchor tackles:Samuels and Jansen, a monster guard in Randy Thomas, and two serviceable components in Dockery and Raymer.

Ladies and Gentlemen, don't act like we didn't have a VERY GOOD O-line for at least 4-5 years and it didn't do much for us.

We tried the elite back approach with CP26 and it didn't do much for us

We've tried finding a GOOD qb and haven't found him yet.

I can't wait until we do.

I remember watching a Falcon game back in 03 or whatever year Vick was injured for several weeks and the commentators mentioned how it was expected the offense would struggle w/o him, but for some reason the defense just started sucking.

It's amazing how much a good QB can affect a game.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar

I hope so as well and for the second week in a row I've seen Edwin blocking one defender and then run down field to block another.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

dcwun,

If JC comes back next year, should he be the starter or should he compete with someone for that nod such as: Colt, FA, or even drafted player?

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh's Dennis Dixon has already made several throws tonight that Campbell cannot make.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"I've never seen so many guys go down"

It would help if we didn't have a part-time hippie head coach from the West Coast offensive ...Blache keeps this team semi-tough, few else..I say, MANDRANEKK THE A**HOLE for head coach, to RATWHIP THESE CHILDREN into shape...jeeziz, 3-8...

Posted by: frak | November 29, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

there is no one worth keeping in the personnel staff let alone promote someone!!!!!! if moroco brown was so good there'd be talent on this team especially in the draft...who do you think is evaluating the talent? vinny? vinny just picks...and always picks wrong! how's sanchez and cutler doing?

for the love of god don't ask for anyone in this org!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 29, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

this fck ing org can't even get lucky...they got lucky with sean...but he died. this owner is cursed! go leonsis!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 29, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

You read my post from earlier, didn't you? I said the exact same thing.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually my plan was to use the second rounder on one of the center prospects coming out in the draft but Edwin Williams may be good enough. I know Kevin Mawae is a free agent but he is 38 and none of the other free agent centers seem to be worth picking up.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 29, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

dcwun,

Posted by: Vicc

Coming off of this season, everyone should have to compete for their job. I'd like to see Colt and JC compete.

Speaking of QBs, does anyone see any of the QBs coming out this year being better than Colt? Personally, I don't see it.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Really? Which ones. I'm watching the game and haven't seen it.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

They'll draft a QB in the late rounds.

I believe both Campbell and Collins are gone.

So it will be Colt, whoever they pick up in FA (a journeyman, most likely), and a rookie competing for the job next summer.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, we're all frustrated with the FO, but I was wondering if you knew Brown was no good or is he just guilty by association? I ask just because I've heard favorable things about him in the past.

When all is said and done, I do think we should hire from the outside just because I think an internal promotion would not have the power to push Snyder out of the football operations like we all know needs to happen.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

has any1 here heard from ifthethunderdoesn'tcatchyou?

~

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Really? Which ones. I'm watching the game and haven't seen it.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:15 PM |
---------------------------

Third down pass to Holmes (not the TD), and the pass to Mendenhall where he just laid it in there with a defender underneath and another over the top. A nice touch.

You didn't see those?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

We've never had a running back, receivers, and line at the same time since snidey took over.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Lamar Woodley with the Liu Kang flying kick celebration on his last tackle. LOL

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

You didn't see those?

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Yeah, I saw them. Those were normal throws. Those weren't that special.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

I agree.

That's a tough thing to do.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw them. Those were normal throws. Those weren't that special.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:25 PM |
------------------------

Sure they were. Especially the touch pass to Mendenhall.

Not bad for a QB in his second year with almost no in-game experience.

He looks better than our QB, 5 years in the league, his third as a starter, and he still isn't consistent.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey League-Source,

do you know when TheCork will post his annual list of players the 'Skin's will keep? Or does he not have one?

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Cheer up, gang.

All the Redskins need is a GM, a HC, a LT, a RT, a QB, and a RB and they'll be competitive again.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

dAmn. No fish out there today..

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Sure they were. Especially the touch pass to Mendenhall.

Not bad for a QB in his second year with almost no in-game experience.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

C'mon, he doesn't look better than JC. I know we remember every bad JC play and never the good ones.

Dixon doesn't look that bad though. Its nice to see that line protecting him well.

Posted by: dcwun | November 29, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, I like what I'm finally seeing from DT, MK and FD.

I think the only way either DT or MK emerges as the primary WR next year is if Santana goes, so perhaps they'll cut Moss loose or try and trade him.

Which round are they missing a pick in for 2010? Third?

Maybe they get a 3rd for him.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 29, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Time to go exclusively with Kelly, Thomas and Marko at wr. Shut down Moss/El and let them return kicks.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"...Shut down Moss..."

-coparker5

I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to watch some games this year, but Santana is still quick and his hesitation-and-go/double move is still effective. We just need to take advantage.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Quick question. Being a restricted free agent, If Campbell gets an offer from another team and 'Skins don't match it, won't they get a first round draft choice, since Campbell was a first rounder? And if so, will it be this year or next? Anybody know the answer?

Posted by: wagman1 | November 29, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I am not an expert but I believe it is the year after the player leaves. I also think the highest compensatory pick a team can receive is 3rd round.

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 29, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wagman1

Just email Jason Reid to contact his league source for the answer. Perhaps he'll even be diligent enough to start a thread over it.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lifelongfan | November 29, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

OK, Thanks. Thought it might not be until the next year.

Posted by: wagman1 | November 29, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see that the fiesta trio are coming off the "get rid of 'em" lists. Seems to me that DT has been an upgrade at KR, and Kelly looks real big against guys like Samuels. If Kelly was simply incapable of getting open, why did they put Samuels on him ?

I'm keenly interested in how we're going to stop these coverage breakdowns. The bend-but-don't-break defense isn't very good when it breaks all the time.

JC, JC, JC. All I want him to do is carry the team over the finish line, just once. I don't expect him to be the elite guy that can do it every week, but he needs to do it enough for it to be a credible threat... and right now, it isn't.

Posted by: daggar | November 29, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vicc, done.

Posted by: wagman1 | November 29, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

From wikipedia:
A player who has 3 years of experience is eligible for restricted free agency, whereby his current team has the chance to retain rights to this player by matching the highest offer any other NFL franchise might make to that player. The club can either block a signing or, in essence, force a trade by offering a salary over a certain threshold. In 2006, these thresholds were as follows:
If a club tenders an offer of $685,000 per year for a three year veteran, and $725,000 for a four year veteran, the player's current team has "right of first refusal" over the contract at those terms, and may sign the player at those terms.
If a club tenders an offer of $712,000 or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal" and rights to a draft pick from the same round (or better) from the signing club. Essentially, this means that the new club must forfeit the draft pick to the old club if they wish to sign the player under these terms.
If a club tenders an offer of $1.552 million or 110% (whichever is greater) of the previous year's salary, then the current club has both "right of first refusal"; and rights to the first round draft pick from the signing club.[50]

I'm pretty sure, since the tender, decision, and (possible) transfer of the player happens during free agency, you get the draft pick in April of the same year. Since that provides a sort of default negotiating position, it becomes something that you work from -- maybe a second and a third, if the player is tendered with a first but the team might want to move on. That gets executed as a trade, so there are no year rules...

Posted by: daggar | November 29, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vicc, done.

Posted by: wagman1

`
You're welcome and just rub the lamp again anytime you have a question.

I'm not sure career aspiring journalists working at the level of newspaper sports writer are fully into their work, but that's just me. or is it the Port, 2 or 3 quart?

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'd do the work if WaPo would cut me a check.

Posted by: Vicc | November 29, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell may not be the best QB in the league but until we can get someone better, I say he stays. He just needs to work on being more consistent and making quicker decisions. Yes his accuracy could be better but his completion percentage compared to other QB's isn't that bad. I much rather have him than say Michael Vick. Colt Brennan may turn into a good QB but he doesn't have the experience necessary to play well yet.

Posted by: Thundershock | November 29, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'd do the work if WaPo would cut me a check.

How about for free access to the internet version of WaPo?
Or, if you can sell some ad space, they might have something for you. Other than that, there won't be any money. But when you die, you will receive complete enlightenment [in that you will discover what information, exactly, Vinnie has on Dan].

Posted by: daggar | November 29, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

i think we should start the bigger receivers on the outside and put moss in the slot similar to a wes welker. today, kelly made a spectacular catch over samuel and the best part abut it was the fact that he got off the line like a receiver that's 6'4" 225 lbs. he basically to'd his will upon samuel and he needs to play more like that. given the fact that campbell can be effective on the move, i think more plays should be called that get him out of the pocket instead of being a stationary target. i don't know if anyone observed but carter was getting held all game long and it was way obvious and the refs didn't call it. also the last play of the game after the ball left campbell's and he was slammed should've been a flag. i just don't understand how the refs could've let that one go but if it were manning or brady, every ref on the field would've thrown so much yellow, you'd think we were playing pittsburg and they had terrible towels.

Posted by: charronegro1971 | November 30, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they miss the holding on Carter all game long, but the BACK JUDGE throws his lanky 30 yards and calls Sellers for a hold on a big gainer Ganther or Cartright run.

The NFL wants winners in the hunt to keep winning. Philly needed to keep pace with Dallas.

Until the Redskins become relevant, they will NOT get any calls to go their way. Its just the way the NFL is, and my opinion is formed from watching lots of games, its not just a woe is me Redskins fan rant.

Of course, Heyer's multiple penalties in a game streak remained on track. Good Job, Stephon. Why is it again the one of the PSquad OT prospects hasn't been picked up yet?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or was Edwin Williams pretty solid at RG???

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 29, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1

Pretty sure it was WIlliams not you at RG. Seriously, can see him moving over to C when Rabach retires.

Posted by: TheCork | November 30, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the Williams kid looks great. He is driving his man off the ball, and doing a good job in pass pro. He drove his man furthest down field on a LOT of running plays today. Too bad Rabach and Heyer's guys just slid over to make the play just as many times, LOL.

Jones, Dock, Williams, BMW, 1 or 2 Rd Rookie seems like a good projected starting line next year, with an eye towards getting the rookie to LT and Jones to the Right if he is up to it. I like the idea of having 300+ across the middle driving people off the ball instead of Rabach getting caved in on all game long.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the schedule - I'm going to say that the Skins will actually win 3 or 4 more games - which unfortunately will not 'encourage' Snyderatto to make huge changes next off-season.

Posted by: charley42 | November 30, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | November 30, 2009 4:57 AM

I doubt you're looking at the Redskins' schedule if you can see 3 or 4 more wins this year with the current roster. And I don't think you remember how Snyder and Cerrato work: They make huge changes every off season.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

turns out that if you actually use the people you draft, you find out they can play.....sigh, what an incredibly disappointing season this has been....I asked this last night, but did anyone really think that JC was going to lead the team down the field to a tying FG, or go-ahead TD last night??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"I have to imagine Colt will get the opportunity to compete for the job."

This silliness really has got to stop.

I mean the argument that Colt Brennan should be given the chance to start behind an offensive line he can't see over.

That makes about as much as starting a war by invading the wrong country.

Why should Colt Brennan be given a chance to start next Fall when the likes of Tony Pike, Colt McCoy, Jake Locker or Sam Bradford might be there in the second round of next year's draft to snag?

Heck, Tim Tebow in the fourth round is a better option than Colt with a clipboard and knowledge of the offense.

Let's stop endorsing the idea that you get first rate by using second rate players.

Raise your hand if you remember the people Brennan starred against in whatever preseason game he played in.

The team should sign Jason Campbell to a market friendly deal and draft his replacement.

(Plus: how do we know the team even wants to replace him?)

Campbell has his warts, but we know what they are.

And the devil we know is better to keep the spot warm will the new guy gets a season long feel of the NFL.

Campbell's replacement should be a prototype tall guy with a accurate cannon for an arm.

And not an overhyped surfer with limited height, arm strenght, and plenty of 'tude.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 30, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"...I think we should start the bigger receivers on the outside and put moss in the slot similar to a Wes Welker...."

Some guy from South Florida posted this back in August.

And folks howled about Moss being a 'deep threat' who needed to be on the outside.

Now they howl each time a pass is overthrown his way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 30, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Not that you'd expect to find this information here, but anyone know the status of Jarmon, and his knee injury?? Sprained or worse??

So turns out that injuries have been a blessing to this team, and don't get that twisted. If not for Cooley going down, Davis would never have gotten his chance, if not for RThomas going down, Rhino, and Edwin Williams wouldn't have gotten their chance, had Samuels not gone down, Levi might not be here.......I mean, not that you'd expect the coaching staff to be able to figure this stuff out had the injuries not occurred......I'm not advocating for injuries to happen mind you...

How about Phil Daniels yesterday, I thought he had a really good game, looked like he spent most of it at DTackle.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

No. This offense is not able to drive down the field with big chuck plays out of the passing game if the other team knows that the skins will pass, which having no timeouts they had to pass. The pass protection isn't there.

Posted by: TWISI | November 30, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

twis, even if they had the timeouts, I wasn't expecting this game to get tied/won. I said as much to my wife, when Philly was driving, that we'd lose either by 3, or 7.

Kind of ironic that the big play that philly had on their drive to the winning score was on a play against Rogers. I mean, guys on this team must just bite their tongue when it comes to him....what a waste....can we get a re-do on the 2005 draft....I mean, swings and misses on 2 first round picks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The Final 5:

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 6:12 AM

12/6 VS Saints - They're undefeated. Opportunity for a let down game.

12/13 @ Raiders - Their not that good.

12/21 VS Giants - seem to be fading fast

12/27 VS Cowboys - ditto

1/3 @ Chargers - doing really well now, if they have division wrapped up...

Hee, hee. They do make big changes every season. My bad.

Posted by: charley42 | November 30, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

This team just has no sense of the moment, and no ability to go out and seize it and make something happen. If we're ahead in crunch time, you can almost always count on the D to be soft and give up a game winning drive. And if we're down, you can always expect our offense to play tight, including JC, and wither and turn the ball over.

That's what bothers me the most. We can compete with almost anybody, even with our backups and 3rd-stringers, but with the game on the line we never get it done, on either side of the ball.

Dunno if that's coaching, or if we just don't have enough "winners" on the team, but it sucks to watch week in and week out...

Posted by: mattylight | November 30, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Wise words,

"When is a young player from Washington going to bedazzle... or... seize a moment like McCoy seized a moment...? When is a genuine playmaker -- a move-the-needle type threat, not a space-holder until the established starter returns -- going to suit up in burgundy and gold and shock the masses, pull off, not put off, victory? "

Mr. Wise takes us back to the continuing argument:

Should the redskins draft a speed back?

Should the 1st round pick be a difference maker, a player who has the ability to 'take it to the house' as a receiver, returner, or running back?

The newest necessary position in the NFL is the versitile, dynamic speed merchant who re-directs the defense's attention.

The skins don't have a difference making player on offense.

Should McCluster, Best, or Spiller be a name on a redskin jersey you buy next Fall?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 30, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"The skins don't have a difference making player on offense"

I'd venture to guess that a more accurate statement is that they don't know if they have a difference maker on offense. Lets get a couple of tackles, some road grader types, then lets see what DT/MK/SM can do with a real live passing game.

Somehow I think that if any of the triplets were on another team, they'd be exponentially more successful than they are with this team.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc

Posted by: dcwun

===================================
I am looking for the same statistics. I do not ever remember JC leading a Redskin team in the last 2 or less minutes of play. In the Saints game, JC started the winning drive with over 3 or 4 minutes still left on the clock and it was really just one quick play to Moss. In other words, there were no real clock management or play management or urgency management issues to deal with. Besides, it was the defense that had to deal with the pressure of stopping the opponent in their final drive instead of the offense driving for the final score.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It is now time to put in the younger talent, it appears a few of the younger players are at least playing w/ urgency.
The situation is what it is, the offense
still looks inept, Campbell just does not
look comfortable.