Secondary Makes Room for Hall

From Jason Reid:

With the addition of Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall, the Redskins appear to have excellent depth at the position. But they also could have a logjam there because cornerbacks Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot are proven veterans who expect to be on the field often.

The three-man rotation of Springs, Rogers and Smoot functioned well, in part, because they worked well together. They were rarely healthy at the same time during the last one-plus seasons, which helped the group dynamic, but their willingness to do what was asked of them was key, several players said.

"In this league, you can never have enough good corners because of all those great receivers out there, and our guys have done a great job," said defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin, one of the Redskins' six team captains. "Guys get hurt, a lot of stuff happens during the season, and we've needed all those guys.

"When you get a chance to add another real talented guy, it can only help you as long as everyone just focuses on doing their job and helping the team. That's always the main thing. That's what it's about."

Springs missed five of the Redskins' first nine games because of shin and calf injuries. He sat out the three straight games before the bye week and his status is unclear for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field.

With Hall on the team, Washington could put Springs at free safety and move LaRon Landry back to strong safety. Although they have tinkered with that lineup at times, the Redskins did not commit to the switch because Springs, when in top form, has been considered their No. 1 corner.

Secondary coach Jerry Gray and Springs have had lengthy discussions about Springs eventually making a permanent move to safety, and Springs, in his 12th season, has been receptive to the idea in an effort to prolong his career. The arrival of Hall, with Rogers having a Pro Bowl-type season, could help allay concerns of some on the coaching staff about the potential drop-off in coverage, especially press-man technique, if Springs made the switch to safety.

Moreover, having Landry return to the position he played as a rookie last season could make the Redskins' formidable defense even stronger up front. Rookie safety Chris Horton has been the only standout in an otherwise unproductive draft class to this point, and has made a contribution to the NFL's fourth-ranked defense, but Landry's strength, speed, and the ferocity with which he plays could enable defensive coordinator Greg Blache to be more aggressive in play-calling if Landry again played closer to the line.
Regardless of how Blache handles things, Springs, Rogers and Smoot will continue to make it work in their expanded group, Rogers said.

"Four potential starters, four different attitudes, cocky, conceited guys, but we're going to make it work," Rogers said. "It ain't going to break up no chemistry or nothing like that. It's just a lot of talented guys on the field. We don't have no choice but to make it work."

...

In a group interview with reporters the other day, Hall said he knows Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens "real well." Owens was referring to an incident in 2006 when he played for the Atlanta Falcons. Owens spat in Hall's face during a Cowboys-Falcons game and was fined $35,000 by the NFL.

...

Hall also filled Steinberg's notebook Monday.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 11, 2008; 12:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Will Romo, NFC East Shake Out?
Next: Time for Kelly or Thomas to Step Up

Comments

I hope Hall gets into T.O.'s head and not the other way around. It won't be a good situation.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

FIRST, I still miss Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope Hall gets into T.O.'s head and not the other way around.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 12:22 PM

It sounds like he already did.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

talent_

Well, it happened a couple years ago, I hope Hall doesn't want payback.

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my name is DeMarcus Ware...perhaps you remember me BLOWING UP your Offensive Line back in September.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm... wwwelll, not exactly, ONE sack and 5 tackles isn't exactly "blowing up" anybody's o-line, but he is a good player.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:20 PM

No DeMarcus...I just seem to remember you getting to the QB in a losing effort, while the rest of your "teammates" were getting owned at the line of scrimmage en route to Portis running for over 100 yards.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 11, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think we could be in for trouble Sunday night. Dallas is getting healthy and they have a sense of getting things back on track. With Portis and Moss being iffy, I can only hope we can give Jason enough time to drop back and make plays.

I hope we jump on them early and let them implode. NO FG's!!! Convert in the RedZone.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

An interesting subplot for sure, but I don't see Hall on Owens, given Springs success with Owens and Springs being healthy. Now, Springs, Rogers and Hall on the field all at once.... what a devilishly nice thought.

If Hall gets an legitimate unsportsmanlike from an Owens dust-up in such a situation, I seriously expect London Fletcher to nut-punch him on the sidelines.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

My point was ... to say that we should only be concerned with James and Canty is absurd.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Gweez I googled pwn and not one result was World of Warcraft. Sorry, try again.

and this term was around way before World of Warcraft.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 12:22 PM

I'm hoping we're not putting Hall on T.O. at this point. Dude still has to learn the defense.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

While the nut-punch could be extreme !!!, i agree with Apple...

It seems like one of the reasons we can bring in D Hall is because the locker room has strong leaders (Griff, Fletcher, Marcus Wash, etc) that "hopefully" can keep guys in line.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AppleScience | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM

I don't expect London to get the chance...I expect Blache to take Hall's helmet smooth off--with his head still in it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

IS anyone else worried about trying to score with the Cowgirls?? Can we win a 34-31 game? If Romo gets back and starts clicking. We have an unhealthy Portis, Moss, Betts, etc.

Or do we have to keep it 20-17?

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:33 PM |
---------------------

OK. You and Pleebus can sit around and worry about Terence Newman, Ken Hamlin, Zach "where's my Social Security check" Thomas, and that tackling dynamo, Mike Jenkins.

Knock yourselves out.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 11, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Whatevs Truth. Not a big deal, hope your level 50 Wizard owns some dudes.

Pwn em up or something...

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone mentioning it but with Springs' cap #, refusing to renegotiate his contract, and always being injuried I would say this is why the team brought Hall in here. You try him out for a half season basically for free, see if he fits in here, then sign him to a modest contract next spring and say bye to Springs. I like Springs but the guy will not play with a strained pubic hair for goodness sakes!

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit...That puts me out for a few weeks as well.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Gweez I googled pwn and not one result was World of Warcraft. Sorry, try again.

and this term was around way before World of Warcraft.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 12:35 PM |

Uh, not to be contrary, but I tried it myself and Truth, you're a boob. Here's the second Google hit for "pwned."

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

So, just like gweez said, it originated in WOW.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

kmichael76 -- Actually it was mentioned quite a bit Saturday, Sunday, and even some yesterday. And it I expect it is exactly that, I "demo" period before they offer him a real contract. Springs contract is up, and I don't really think he wants to come back to be honest. I just have a feeling he's done with the Skins.

I just hope Hall can reach his potential here, cuz if he can, Hall and Rogers will make a fine CB tandem. With Landry and Horton roaming behind them, yup!, a very nice secondary indeed!

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Urban Dictionary: pwnedpwned - 139 definitions - A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled "ow...
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

So, just like gweez said, it originated in WOW.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Still wrong, try again.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 11, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"What Truth!? Do you think this is multiple choice? That's where pwn comes from - it really is!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

1) Pwn means own, it's a common typo. That's where it started. This was when keyboard were invented. Look, the p and the o are right beside each other.

2) The "pwn" that turned it into an internet fad was in Warcraft, yes, but not World of Warcraft. The original Warcraft is much much older than World of Warcraft.

3) I lol @ World of Warcraft myself.

4) Yall have all been wrong and should feel stupid.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Have you guys noticed how much money geico spends on ads compared to other car insurance companies? Wonder what their budget is...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It's Dallas week and people are talking about the origins of "pwn". I'm speechless.

I personally don't want a Springs move to safety. Horton truly is blossoming into a great player (earlier in the season, I admit, I kind of just thought he happened to be in the right place at the right time), but the way he's been blowing up running plays and pressuring the QBs on safety blitzes has made me a believer. Keep Landry deep - his time will come - and let Horton wreak havoc near the LOS. Meanwhile, we can revel in having 2 lockdown corners, one dynamic playmaking corner, and the best dimeback in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

No way the 'skins win this game. The only question will be the margin of defeat. They ran out of steam with the Eagles win, and now they're just hanging in by a thread. They'll have a losing record the 2nd half of the season...

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

I don't know, I see Pedro Cerrano on commercials all the time talking about some type of insurance. I don't have any idea what insurance it is though.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of origin I just want to make sure that I understand the meaning of the word. I'll use it in a sentence please correct me if this is wrong.

"UGA got pwned by Florida so hard that they almost got removed from the SEC and put in division 3."

Is that correct?

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Shut up Jay.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Skins HAVE to get to 11 wins to guarantee play-offs...so how do they??

SHOULD BE WINS : Seattle, SF, Cincy...that puts us at 9 wins

TOSS UPS: Dallas, Philly, Balt...

SHOULD BE A LOSS: NYG

Basically, take care of business against weak teams ( easier said than done see: STL , DET and CLE) and grab 2 toss-ups.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Apple, the term "nut punch" is hilarious. But I cannot under any conceiveable scenario see Mr. Baker-Fletcher (he's dropped the Baker but I can't, just a great name) punching anyone. He may donkey punch TO figuratively speaking but Captains like LBF don't draw personal fouls.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Knock yourselves out.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 11, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

On a team that sent almost every player to the probowl last year, you are talking about being worried about nearly the only 2 that didn't make it.

P.S pwnnded makes no sense and this blog is worse for it being used.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@PSPS23: Amen, brother.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Michael Florio owned us. He only put Clinton Portis in his midseason awards. Can't believe we got pwned like that by Florio. I thought he liked the Skins.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah dealer. Imagine people who setup a pseudo community online and spend hours talking and associating with people they've never met in real life typing to each other. How familiar...err...I mean strange.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

craig2- Thanks for the info. I obviously agree with you. I think that is the deal here. And let's not forget that Vinny wanted him last summer. Fortunately for us Vinny is not as dumb as Al Davis. I didn't get to read a lot over the weekend because I was painting my house all weekend. I was taking advantage of the bye week for the skins!

Posted by: kmichael76 | November 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looking ahead (dangerous, I know), I ran the numbers to figure out just where the Skins stand vis-a-vis winning the division.

IF the Skins win out, and:

1. the Giants go 2-2 or worse against Baltimore, Arizona, Carolina, and Minnesota, the Skins win the division on better overall record (13-3 vs. 12-4).

OR

2. the Giants lose to either Dallas or Philly, the Skins win the division. Even if the Skins and Giants both finish 13-3, the Skins would be 5-1 in the division, while the Giants would be 4-2.

The remaining tiebreakers (common games, conference games, etc.) are moot if the Skins win out, since for the Giants to lose those tiebreakers, they'd have to finish 12-4 or worse, which would give them a worse overall record.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Allstate has a lot of commercials during college football. And those commercials with the black guy who was president on "24" a few years back.

Posted by: PatM1 | November 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

They're saying now on the Radio, Portis could be out 2-4 weeks. From Hanrahan, the skins beat reporter.

NOT GOOD!

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

P.S pwnnded makes no sense and this blog is worse for it being used.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 1:07 PM |

A) That was last season.

B) Pro Bowl voting is a joke.

C) It's about what they do against the Redskins, not the other 30 teams.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla, I love the optimism but man winning out?? That's ambitious at best. I think we SHOULD win 10, very possibly will win 11, outside chance at winning 12. If CP is seriously hurt, winning 9 and missing the playoffs is not altogether unheard of either.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Mass audience + Anonymity.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect Freak, I can't see the G-Men losing many more to anybody. Right now, they are owning ... or however the hell people are saying it up here today... at the line. Both o-line and d-line are just killin' folks.

I would love for it to happen .. but i think our way is thru the wildcard

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

FIRST, I still miss Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator |

as does he, you.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

And to expand on that, my belief is the Redskins will lose ONLY if they shoot themselves in the foot on offense (see: Rams game).

It's not going to be because Dallas shuts them down.

The Cowboys are giving up over 300 yards and 24 points per game.

On D, they're a joke.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Thru 9 games and 12 of the 16 NFC teams are in the playoff hunt. Only DET and the NFC West teams not from AZ are out.

There is an 8-1 team and a 7-2 team.

The other 10 teams have won between 4 and 6 games. AZ is a lock and the jints are getting close to that point.

I'm thinking 10 wins is what gets us into the playoffs. We'll need to split the games against the good teams (Bal, dal, jints, phil) and win 2 of 3 vs the bad ones (Cin, Sea, SF).

Hoping Zorn upgraded the passing game for the RBs during the bye

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

E, that's a funny story. Love the don draper analogy. But they need to do away with cavemen though.

So I'm assuming the all state stands dudes name is pedro? They're close but they're not geico.

Skinz, LMGO!!! But but there is a difference! LOL

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

mid-season awards=power rankings

joe, ugh....that is horrible news....if true..Betts, we need you and Rock BIG TIME....Rock, you now have your opportunity on a silver platter to get some carries. Make the MOST of this opportunity...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

NOT GOOD!

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

UGH !!! time to start drinking

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

We now have 4 NFL starting CB on our roster. We also have 2 that are most adept at covering smaller, quicker "jitterbug" type recieviers in Rogers and hall, and tow who are more adept at covering and jamming the longer framed WRs such as TO and Roy Williams as an example. I see this as a very very very good thing as it gives us a chance to match up with every team's WR corps as they are deployed. We have CBs who can run with the jitterbugs, and guys who can jam and press the big guys.

I imagine Blache and Gray will game plan thier DB pkgs based on opponent WR and plug and play our CB's accordingly.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"wohhh so there's Warcraft and then there's world of warcraft? Wow...what do people get out of playing these kinds of games online? Is this kinda stuff only for people who have social phobia?

Posted by: dealer1"

Actually I believe the original Warcraft was not online. It was like early 90's before any of that got popular. Then it was just a video game.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

NOT GOOD!

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I got an idea...we can trade for Leigh Torrance. He solves all problems...right??..right??

WIat, were is TJ Duckett at ??

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

+++Have you guys noticed how much money geico spends on ads compared to other car insurance companies?

Posted by: dealer1+++

Anyone who buys their auto insurance because the company advertises with a talking lizard or a hairy caveman is a Ninnyhammer.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

btw heard jc on the radio apparently he and cooley went to Disney world together with their sig others ala romo and witten...funny even jc compared the two trips...one teams players go to Disney world the others go to cabo...love our team!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

P.S pwnnded makes no sense and this blog is worse for it being used.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 1:07 PM |

A) That was last season.

B) Pro Bowl voting is a joke.

C) It's about what they do against the Redskins, not the other 30 teams.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not arguing that the voting is a joke. However, I'm trying to explain that the two players you mentioned are not even good enough to be one of the overrated players wearing a star.

Also bradie james has never done anythign against anyone ever.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say I think it will happen, I just said IF it happens. :-)

I would agree that we're a wildcard at best, and it looks like there's going to be a good bit of competition for those last two slots.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 11, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

No prob...totally with you, Freak

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Man that sucks!!! I was so worried before the game about steelers dirty play. My fears have come true. Jc on the radio said it was a dirty hit that portis got hurt on...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Why do blogs ivariably devolve into name calling and irrelevant urban language discussions? This is a REDSKINS BLOG. Truth, if you don't want to talk Skins, go somewhere else.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

hey dbag I wasn't the only one talking

I understand you're trying to get in cool with the "cool regulars" and all, but gimme a break moron.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

So really portis out 2-4 weeks?

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

sorry Nate but f mike tomlin and the steelers!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

hey dbag I wasn't the only one talking

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

FIGHT!!! FIGHT!!! FIGHT !!!

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Or do we have to keep it 20-17?

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I am not of the opinion that the Girls can put up that many points against our D. Cowboy Oline is shaky at best, and a sieve at worst. With Springs healthy, and the addition of Hall into nickel or dime pkgs, I expect the Redskins to both 1) stop the run first, 2)be able to bring pressure on Romo.

Another point: Cowboys are quitters. There is nothing else you can conclude after watching their defense against the Giants. Several of thier LB and DB looked like matadors waving Giants past them. Redskins are not...judging by the Steelers game....and all their games for that matter. If nothing else, the Redskins fought tooth and nail to the final whistle in that game.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

skinz,, it's not official yet

Posted by: dealer1 | November 11, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks D.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

No, it's not official that Portis is out. Hanrahan says from the skins "people" he's talked to, his MCL sprain COULD keep him out 2-4 weeks. Not official...yet

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

++Another point: Cowboys are quitters

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 11, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse ++

Think you may have a point there...that's why we have ...have ... have to get up on them early.

Get TO pouting, make Barber nothing but a pass catcher ( F JOnes may play, which could be an issue). An earlier post said Roy Williams is already upset about his lack of opportunities.

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If Portis is out for 2-4 weeks there is very little chance to win the division.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Is it weird that I legitimately would feel safer if we had Mason as our feature back for this game rather than Alexander (if it came down to it)? In no way, shape, or form do I want Shaun Alexander anywhere near the field for multiple plays in a crucial game. If neither Betts nor Portis is healthy enough to go this game, this would be the first game this season that I would actually be worried about.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Gosh...if we only had Andrew Crummey back here...it would all be better :(

Posted by: cej75024 | November 11, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

You rarely talk Skins. You agitate and deflect and talk Bobcats and Bulldogs (who hardly anyone else here cares about). This is my last post directed to you, unless you wanna talk Skins. Good luck and godspeed young man.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeblazin | November 11, 2008 1:37 PM
=============================================
Was that injury the result of Hairball's helmet hit?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 11, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

ifthethunderdontgetya -- yes, zorn said yesterday it was, but it had only begun to flare up over the last couple of days.

As long as Betts is back we'll be fine, if not, I will be concerned, but still hopeful that Zorn and JC can get it done.

Maybe this will mean Hall ends up a bit more involved than one might think.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

psp, what do you base the desire for Mason over Alexander on?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

How is yesterday the FIRST time we heard about an injury to CP? Am I wrong?

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

psp, what do you base the desire for Mason over Alexander on?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Umm Mason led the league in rushing this preseason. What exactly has Alexander done in his career? Heh some of you people...

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

i am outing myself as a fantasy role playing nerd but "world of warcraft" is different from the board/roleplaying game "Warhammer" which had many iterations including console based video games

anyway you slice it "pwned" is beyond lame

just to be clear.....

Portis ugh, not good!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

No Original_etrod, your not wrong. Zorn said yesterday it just began flaring up the last couple of days. Apparently, nobody knew before yesterday.

With all the "inside" information we get here, we might not know anything else until the Skins actually call a press conference to tell us about it. And if I'm Zorn, I don't do that at all. Maybe Shefter can find out for us.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

We may as well start Heyer at RT and play the entire game from shotgun if we are going to rely on Shaun Alexander. He is the only guy I can think of on our roster that is soft. Suisham is probably tougher. Please let Portis or Betts play.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 11, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks craig2. This sucks for the Skins and for **Fantays fb** my fantasy team **end ffb**.

In the spirit of todays discussion, I'm thinking of changing my handle to Priginal_etrpd.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Truth, I couldn't care less about cool points with anyone. I just want to talk Skins here, not have childish arguments off subject...if we're gonna have childish arguments, let it be Skins-Boys!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

I've talked Skins a bunch, you're just going off what the "cool regulars" have told you.

When was the last time you've seen me make a post about the Bobcats or Bulldogs?

In contrast I have seen two posts made by those same "cool regulars" about the Bulldogs in the last couple days.

Get your crap straight. Someone also brought up The Great Pwn Debate as I was responding to a stupid Cork comment about The Redskins.

You're just stupid, period.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

2-4 weeks???????

What is Betts status? Because we can't go in the game with SA37 aka The Sissy as the #1 RB........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, instinct I guess. I feel like Alexander's done and has no value. Judging by the comment you posted earlier regarding Rock, I think you feel the same way.

At least if we had someone young and fresh, there could be potential there. I just don't see that with Alexander. He's on that list of former great RBs that I'd want no part in my gameplan (like Edgerrin James and Ahman Green).

One of those two (Betts or Portis) has to be able to go this weekend.

Posted by: psps23 | November 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If Hall plays well and gets along in the locker room, I'd expect him to be signed to a long-term deal next spring. Springs is done IMO as a full-time corner and I'm not sure the Skins would even pay him much to play safety. They seem pretty set with Landy and Horton back there with Springs as an option as a nickel safety.

Springs is 33 and has 12 years under his belt and a history of injuries. The Skins were seriously thinking of releasing him last year but weren't confident of a tandem of Smoot and Rogers. With Rogers playing well and Hall as a possible starter next year, I don't see Springs back unless he took a major pay cut to play safety.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

PS you're a whiny baby, too.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

4th,

To be fair no one has called him "The Sissy" they've been calling him the "Tip Toe Burglar"

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

was going to offer Philip Rivers for Clinton Portis in FF league. But now I thinking of offering Fred Jackson instead

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark like, such as

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | November 11, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I am no fan of the "tip toe bandit" but I will give him some credit, in the last two games, pitt and detroit, he actually showed me a little "umph" in the way he hit the hole. Maybe a little "CP" has rubbed off on him. And Zorn said yesterday that he expects Betts to practice tomorrow.

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

truth hasnt talked UGA FB since they got beetch slapped like the gutless losers they are by Florida....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes I believe they got "pwned" CL. Although I can't get conformation from TheTruth. Two things he won't talk about up here. The Redskins and UGA (A recent change)

Hope the little one is doing well and that you and the misses are getting some sleep.

Posted by: Gweez | November 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the Cowboys advert atop the sports pages on the Washington Post...Billy Jean?

Dallas Week and the Post sells out to Jerry Jones?

I understand payin the bills and prostitution is the oldest profession(older than journalism).

Posted by: tttyler | November 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

cl, hows the baby, and mom?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Zorn and Largent on NFL Network's Top 10 Passing Combos, man Zorn was a nut then and he still is!

Posted by: craig2 | November 11, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Gweez, I have and do talk Redskins, just give it up.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 11, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

If Portis and Betts are both out, I'd be OK with Rock as a starter. He's a good runner. Gibbs benched him for a fumble vs KC and he's never gotten a chance at RB since.

But Rock is so valuable on teams, not sure if Zorn will give him the carries. Both Rock and Alexander are liabilities in pass protection, so that's a wash.

So go with Rock at RB and have Hall return kicks if Portis and Betts are both down.

Have Torrence step into Rock's role on special teams.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

beepity beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

thanks guys-everyone doing dandy!!! baby amelia actually slept through the night with just one feeding break the last two nights! we do keep her up late being night owls though....she watched the exciting but inept conclusion of mnf game last night and riding shotgun now on RI (while sleeping and farting)....

i think b/c we are older first time parents we dont get as stressed.....but I am sure we are in for it soon enough....

Betts, come back!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

We would be in first if we had only kept Pierce.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 11, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth would the Redskins move Springs to Free Safety and LaRon Landry to Strong Safety when you have Chris Horton? This guy is a ball hawk and the real deal. To take him off the field would be a horrible idea. Let DeAngelo Hall play at nickel back if Springs is healthy. Have Springs match up against T.O. and Rogers against Williams with Smoot and Hall at nickel. Keep Horton at SS and Landry at FS. What the heck are you thinking?

Posted by: jeffbo_80 | November 11, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

CP:

"I'm shooting to play but not sure yet...don't want to hurt the team...can't straighten the knee out yet...I had 15 injuries 2 weeks ago, now just 1" Nice CP

p.s. he confirmed that it was the low hit by Polamalu

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

jeffbo, I think Springs at safety would be in the "Cobra" package (3 safeties)...no way it's at Horton's expense.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I love 26. Love him.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I say the Skins 24, Girls 20

Posted by: TheJury | November 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

can we get ONE post that doesn't have...."Rookie safety Chris Horton has been the only standout in an otherwise unproductive draft class to this point".... in it? Enough already!

Posted by: gregskins | November 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Springs career is coming to a close..he is hurt much too often, and is out for prolonged periods of time.
Rodgers ...he was so bad for so long..I`m waiting to see if he is for real. Smoot..is an average corner. If Hall can get to where he was in Atlanta..he might be the top player at that position. Except for Horton..we wasted a ton of picks..Gooo Vinnie!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | November 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Logjam? What logjam?

We've got:
A 33 year old who is already thinking about a move to safety next season.

Another who isn't big or physical so should probably play mostly as a nickel-dime back.

A former top choice who's coming off an injury year and has hands that would make Roberto Duran envious.

A 5'9" rookie.

We shouldn't take a chance on a 24 year old 2 time All-Pro who played poorly for Al Davis?

Logjam? What logjam?

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

T.O calling out D. Hall:

"At the rate he's playing, I'm looking forward to a big day," Owens said, smiling. "I'm no stranger to playing against him. I've had success against him just as much as everybody else has, so if he's out there, I'm looking forward to playing him."

Posted by: malta1 | November 11, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Dallas Week and the Post sells out to Jerry Jones?

Posted by: tttyler

Once Katherine Graham died and the family sold the paper, the Post has been a mere shadow of its former self, selling out often to the highest bidder, mostly oil and war companies, but this is a new low with the Cowboys...

If Portis's knee got swole on Thursday, then he's got a deep longwave sprain..AND SHOULD BE PRACTICING!! How many of you jocks have had a sprain and then were told to run it off and then later it was fine?? The tissue needs the bloodflow..

Lavar's headache creation goes beyond Troy Ache-man's appearance on the cover of "Neurology Now" (for his migraines) apparently..

Posted by: frak | November 11, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh Lawdy, Clint don't look good, gotta go with Rock for a bit..A true test of an already troubled offense..

Posted by: frak | November 11, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Local boy done good from Springbrook HS Sean Springs has been a great pro...BUT he is showing his age. I think this is Sean's last year and this was a great pick up. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. GO SKINS

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | November 11, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse