Sellers undergoing hip examination

The Redskins escaped Sunday's game relatively injury-free compared with recent weeks. Fullback Mike Sellers was in noticeable pain the postgame locker room and was taken to an area hospital to have his hip examined. Team officials say the hospital visit is just a precautionary measure.

Defensive tackle Kedric Golston suffered an elbow sprain, Cornelius Griffin suffered a knee sprain and Antwaan Randle El hurt his shoulder.

By Rick Maese  |  December 6, 2009; 7:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albright shoulders part of blame for miss
Next: Landry caught by double moves

Comments

Big tubby sure seemed like he was hurt out there. But he was just giving the Saints a free timeout.

Posted by: farstriker | December 6, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

jiacinto - post it again?

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 6, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

About JZ returning. I heard on ESPN 980 redskins wrap up show that Steve Czaban stated that Chris Mort had reported earlier today the Cerrato lambasted Zorn after last week's loss to Philly. I think JZ has 55 chance of returning.

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Cut him and get a real FB. Afterall this barking about a new contract he's given us very little.

He's 6'3' 270 and blocks like a WR and catches and holds on to the ball like Rodgers and Moore.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

This is a tough loss, but the (one) silver lining is that it makes it more harder for Cerrrato justify himself staying. It makes it harder for Snyder to not change anything or to keep Cerrato. If the team goes 3-13 or 4-12 I don't see how they can keep the current upper management. With four games left the best the team can end up being is 7-9.

I'll be bold and state that they beat the Raiders. They will probably lose to the Giants, Cowboys, and Chargers. That being said they may give those three teams a run for their money and might manage somehow to eke out a win.

Frankly my impressions so far are this:

1. Cerrato must go.
2. Zorn must go.
3. The Defense is pretty good, although the CB and S corps needs to be replaced. I would perhaps keep Reedy Doughty, but Carlos Rogers and LaRon Landry need to go.
4. Haynesworth is overprice and probably needs to go.
5. Sean Suisham needs to be replaced. He has missed too many kicks at too many key moments.
6. The offense needs to be redone. At this point, of the current "stars", I would keep only Chris Cooley. I might keep Santana Moss. Antoine Randel-El and Clinton Portis need to go. I would draft linemen.
7. Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, Mark Mithcell, Devin Thomas, and the RB corps mius Portis should stay. Those second string players did show that they could play well today.
8. On Campbell I am not honestly sure. Sometimes I think that he should go. Other times I think that they should give him one final year against a good offensive line. A lot depends on what QB's are available for what price. Campbell is never going to be a star. That much is clear. It's also clear he can't win when it counts. But would be he good enough to get the team at least to the playoffs as wildcard with a decent offensive line? The ultimate question here is whether WAS is willing to write off the next 2-3 seasons to develop a brand new QB. Snyder may not be that patient. So I could go either way on Campbell. There are justifiable business cases either way for keeping him or getting rid of him.

Whatever the case the team needs lots of changes. If Cerrato goes that will be the first step. And frankly, given that the team is headed to its worst record in years, even for Snyder, I don't see what business case there is to keep Cerrato. And if Snyder does have a "dark heart", per what Riggins says, I wonder what his breaking point with Cerrato is.

Snyder wants the team to make money. I was at the stadium today. There were lots of empty seats there. At some point the diminished revenue is going to force him to finally relent. While there will always be hardcore fans who will come to the stadium even if the team puts up 1-15 seasons, at some point, revenues will diminish to the point where Sndyer will have to do something.

The team needs lots of work. What do you all think of my points?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 6, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst, most blatant fixing of a game I have ever seen. Yes it is ridiculous that Suisham missed and we probably would have lost either way, but was I the only one who heard the ref repeatedly blow the whistle like 50 times as soon as Sellers hit the ground. That means the play is dead and cant be overturned. Its a clear and simple rule. For some reason the announcers didn't even mention it which I thought was pretty fishy right away, and then they overturn it? Someone explain how this could happen. There are cameras out there, its not like we didn't see what happened. Someone explain how thats legal? I am so confused and I expected us to lose in OT but to see an NFL game be blatantly fixed like that is something I have never witness and makes me sad for this sport. Someone tell me I was hallucinating all 50 of those whistles to kill the play.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I AGREE THE GAME WAS FIXED

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 6, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Cerrato brought Zorn in. I think that, if Zorn goes, it means that Cerrato has failed. Increasingly I don't see how Cerrato can make a business case for him staying with Snyder.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 6, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

what they were saying on the radio is that perhaps snyder sent vinny down there to ream out Zorn, in the hopes Zorn quits because they don't wanna pay him.

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 6, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Tony Dungy just said he would cut Suisham..enough said.

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It just doesn't f*cking matter. Nothing good is ever going to happen to this team.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 6, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiacinto | December 6, 2009 7:57 PM |

I'm in agreement with most.

Agree that Haynie is overpaid but, he's here and when he plays, he's the best player on the field.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Wish there was some way to get Tony Dungy to be Pres. of FB ops for the Skins.

That would show that Danny has learned something.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 6, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I noticed the empty seats on TV. I was surprised to see them for such a respectable opponent.

1. Cerrato must go.
Agree of course.
2. Zorn must go.
Agree.
Yes, and Smooty.

4. Haynesworth is overprice and probably needs to go.
No, disagree.
Easy. Agree.
I would cut Cooley.
>I might keep Santana Moss (YES). Antoine Randel-El and Clinton Portis need to go. I would draft linemen.
YES, easy. Agree.
Yes, that is my scenario.

Posted by: sugarstreet | December 6, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Just fire Zorn already. He is such a Fing loser... its not even describable how much of a loser he is.

He pusses out of going for the kill AGAIN. For what? To kill some time? Great... if you go for the TD and GET IT, the game is OVER. You still can kick the FG and be up 10 with under two minutes.

Then, after Step Child dorks the snap to F up the FG attempt, zorn looked like somebody shot his mother right in front of his eyes.

For sheise sake, wipe that stupid look off your face and act like you believe you are going to win the Fing game anyway.

They deserved to get jobbed by the refs after zorn played like a puzzy again.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 6, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

beep beep for a LL post.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 6, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Wish there was some way to get Tony Dungy to be Pres. of FB ops for the Skins.

That would show that Danny has learned something.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 6, 2009 8:04 PM

I'd sign up for that as long as he promises not to draft Tebow.

He's on the record as saying he would draft him and has professed his love for Tebow repeatedly.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

A small thing that becomes a bit thing. With 2:47 to go, the Skins run a play that takes about 5 seconds. The play clock can't run down to the 2 minute warning. So they have to run a 3rd down play before the 2 minute warning. The FC attempt is the play after the 2 minute warning, giving Brees 45 extra seconds -- meaning the Skins had to play the whole field, including underneath patterns.

What should have happened.

Zorn call timeout with 2:46 to go. Calls a play the goes wide, a sweep or QB roll out. With clear instructions, stay in bounds or, its a QB roll out, don't throw unless its a sure TD.

That gets the clock down to 2 minutes after second down. Run 3rd down and try the FG with 1:15-ish to go. A miss and Brees has just 70 seconds to go the length of the field.

Or, given the 2 minute warning was coming after the 3rd down play, let Campbell throw for the TD. An incomplete pass is no different than the run, the 2 minute warning happens either way.

Clock management is on Zorn -- and I think it cost us the game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 6, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pquick6165 | December 6, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

release sellars now he is a big time fumbler and he cost games last year because he is supposed to be so big and strong with weak-azzed hands trying to catch the ground when he is hit and letting the ball go..get him and suiSHAM out now. the money these guys make and are horrible at their jobs.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Dont worry Sellers, NFL refs suck it. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814c0903/Sellers-fumble

Posted by: pquick6165 | December 6, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abusE THE REFS SUCK, SINFUL, THE FIX IS IN AND THE REFS ARE IN ON IT, THEY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Here is the remedy for the Redskins Woes:

1. Hire Chris Polian as General Manager (Bill Polian's Son)from the Colts (Cerrato must go).
2. The following players should be released no matter what the CAP Hit (If there is a CAP)
Suisham (release him tomorrow)
Landry
Smoot
Sellers
Portis
Mike Williams
Stephon Heyer
Todd Collins
Batiste
Phillip Daniels
Rob Jackson
Randle El
Carols Rogers
Renaldo Wynn
Randy Thomas
3. Keep Campbell (sign for two years)
4. Draft a quarterback to develop in the 2nd round.
5. Draft an OT with the 1st round pick.
6. Use the rest of the draft after the 3rd round (No 3rd round pick due to Jarmon supplemental pick) to draft Offensive Lineman and fill other identified needs.
7. Let the young kids play and develop (Jarmon, Orakpo, Tryon, Barnes, Kareem Moore, Fred Davis, MARKO MITCHELL, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelley, Chad Rinehart, etc).
8. Consider trading Cooley while he is worth something to fill needs. Fred Davis and Yoder can fill the void.
9. Fire Zorn (May not be all his fault but too many bad memories and bad karma).

This is not the end all and be all.....but it is a start to rebuild.

I know it hurts right now.....but look to the future......Hail.

Bricklacey

Posted by: bricklacey | December 6, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

One other thing. I would also develop a spreadsheet identifying each player, his salary, and whether said player is meeting the standards giving his salary. I would then determine who definitely should go, who should definitely stay, and who is on the bubble. I would then use the next four games to determine who in the bubble group goes and stays. I would also tell the entire time in a meeting that, effectively immediately, they are all playing for their jobs regardless of starting position; and that they are going to determine who wants to play to win and who just wants a paycheck.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 6, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse