Shanahan, Allen take stage; Snyder does not

It did not go unnoticed that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder took a back seat Wednesday to his new coach, Mike Shanahan, and general manager, Bruce Allen, at Shanahan's introductory news conference. Rick Maese writes:

Snyder showed off his new prize at Redskins Park and then, in a departure from the other four times he had introduced a new head coach, the owner allowed the men charged with running the organization to run the day's show.
By taking a front-row seat in the auditorium rather than on the podium alongside Shanahan and Allen, Snyder tried to make a statement -- to fans, but mostly to the two men who've been given the keys to the franchise.
"I think he's giving Mike and I the marching orders to 'Please, let's get the Redskins back to a championship level,' " Allen said. "Whatever that takes, he will be supportive of."

Dan Steinberg at the D.C. Sports Bog points out that Snyder did have a few things to say Wednesday.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 7, 2010; 9:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan works on assembling his staff
Next: Shanahan-Haynesworth dynamic worth watching

Comments

"his new prize"? Snyder's changed, but the Post's Rick Maese is still stuck in the juvenile-sarcasm stage of "reporting."

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Man up who in the SJK wants Gray as the DC are you kidding me?

Posted by: BenchCampbell | January 7, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

That's foolishness...by that logic, Greggggg Williams and Dick LeBeau are bad DCs since they were fired as HCs. Gray came to Washington as an assistant because his mentor (Gregggg) was the DC here already. Better to work for/with someone you know than going for the unknown elsewhere.

Posted by: brownwood26
--------------------------

That doesn't make any sense (logically).

You can move up the chain of responsibility, fail, and then move back down where you were before and be good just like before. That's normal and logical.

What's not normal is to move up the chain, fail, move back down, do "ok", then move back up and succeed. It's not impossible, but it's not the optimal pick on our part.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

brown, consider how things have gone in the past, this is a move in the right direction....lets just accept the fact, but lets also acknowledge that it appears he's trying to change...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Every chance he gets, Snyder refers to the "tradition of the franchise" and it seems he has the new coach or big FA acquisition agree backstage to make at least 1 or 2 references to the "tradition" and that being a big reason they wanted to come here. Wtf is with this propaganda. Shanny doesnt have any reason to care about the 3 SB titles from 2 decades ago. And if he did, you cant force it down his SJKing throat! Wtf is this all about?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Whose getting the boot, JC 17 or CP 26?
Please let it be CP 26...

Posted by: hbu_dog | January 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 9:28 AM

But what I'm telling you is that Jerry Gray didn't fail as a DC. There was a coaching change in Buffalo and he got caught up in a house cleaning. Just because you were a DC in another city doesn't guarantee you'll land the same gig elsewhere right away. Just like a fired HC often takes a coordinator gig to stay in the game until he can finagle another shot at a HC gig, Gray did time as a position coach here to stay in the game until he could get in a position to land another DC gig or even a HC position (this wasn't the first time he got a sniff from a team to be a HC).

That said, I agree that Gray isn't the "optimal" pick here. Like I said on the previous thread, I'd rather see Zimmer or Haslett here as DC over Gray. I just don't agree with the mindset that Gray would be a bad DC because he had top 10 defenses in Buffalo.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

My take is this - Portis is a lazy bum who only wants to play on Sundays because it feeds his ego. He thinks he is larger than the team and carries himself that way..his lack of attention recently got the best of him and he had to shoot off the mouth like the ass that he is...That being said - now that there is some true authority at redskin park that he will have to answer to - i think he will prepare and carry himself in a much better way than we have seen so far. I think he is capable of being the dominant back that we saw just a little over a year ago if he gets his lazy ass in shape and practices like a professional - if that doesnt happen, cut him and be better for it, 14 mil loss or not.

Posted by: scottmando1 | January 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Look, from how bad things got this year, maybe the owner finally realized that he needs to take a hands off approach. Lord knows he's done it evey other way and failed. Common sense has set it and the fans by booing and screaming sell the team and all the media constantly beating him down as the worst owner, all this was good and led us to where we are now, which is hopefully some sort of funtionality not dysfunction. Draft and FA are still looming. We will see how that goes.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

And another thing: The history and "tradition" of this "proud" franchise has been deemed irrelevant by the last 10 years under Danny. To grindingly refer to it ever frickin chance he gets is just laughable. Who cares about 3 SB titles, the last of which was 1991! Wake the F up Snyder. If were starting anew, let go of the F'ing past! And that includes Jerry Gray. HAve you heard this guy talk in interviews? He's a moron and part of the problem of a defense that should have been great.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 9:33 AM

We said the same thing after the Gibbs II hire and we all know how that ended. The ONLY way this works is if Snyder truly and completely lets Allen/Shanahan do this without him meddling. If I see Snyder at Bradford's pro day, then it's--to borrow your phrase--lather, rinse, repeat.

That said, I have a gut feeling real change is coming. Hope I'm not getting strung along again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Haslett and Zimmer please, no Jerry Gray. Our DB's will be playing 80 yards off and he will keep LL at Free Safety and Rak at LB. We need a guy that knows how to set up our defense to force turnovers and be aggressive, not the bend but do not break mentality. First and foremost we need a DC that will maximize our talents.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The door just hit Zorn in the fanny

But Shanny has a planny

And $7 mil from the danny!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

If were starting anew, let go of the F'ing past!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 9:41 AM

I hate Snyder as much as anyone, but I think yesterday they did make a move toward the future instead of the past. Not only did Snyder not sit up at the podium, they stopped that stupid practice of trotting out the 3 SB trophies to stick in front of the cameras. Looks like a good sign to me and signals that perhaps Bruce Allen has more influence at Redskins Park than we think.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Damn VA, your a poet and don't even know it.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:44 AM

Not sure how that's Gray's fault if Blache is the DC and calling the defensive plays...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Another day.

More changes.

Let's stay on task, shall we?

National Championship game to nite.

We see the Crimson Tide starting out slowly, then taking a commanding lead over the Longhorns.

Arenas, McClain, Jones, and the entire 'Bama o-line will impress.

There ain't nothing better than SEC football.

Deal with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
======================

I see your point about vertical coaching movements.

But I just want to point out that in his last year with Buffalo, they were ranked 29th. They were "battling injuries" according to his bio on the Skins web page. Injuries are part of the job, and it's not encouraging that he would drop from top 5 all the way to 29th in the league, even with injuries.

That's probably why he didn't get another DC position right away.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:

Gibbs told Shanahan that Snyder won't interfere
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2010 9:40 AM ET
New Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has final say over all football decisions. But can Shanahan be sure that owner Daniel Snyder won't meddle?

Shanahan says he feels confident that Snyder will support him in every way -- including getting out of the way -- and that he feels that way in part because of a conversation he had with former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

"All I can tell you is what Joe Gibbs said to me," Shanahan said on SIRIUS XM's Mad Dog Radio. "He said, 'Mike, you're going to get the best owner in sports.' He said, 'I've never met a guy more positive. He's got so much passion for the Redskins. He's loyal. He grew up with them. He wants to win. He's going to give you every opportunity to be successful.'

"I've known Joe for over 20 years. He said, 'He will not interfere at all. All he will do is give you support.' When Joe Gibbs tells me that, a guy that I've admired, I think you can put that in the bank."

Those comments echo what Shanahan said at his introductory press conference, and the idea that Shanahan is running things was one of the central themes of the press conference -- to the point that Snyder stayed in the back didn't take part in the press conference at all.

Whether Snyder can continue to remain in the background remains to be seen. But for now, the Redskins are Shanahan's show.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Brown, I agree about Snyder not sitting at the podium and lack of the trophies being displayed. I guess Im just venting off about how much I hate that SJKing moron. He has made some good steps with kicking Vinny to the curb and hiring 2 guys with much better credentials and supposedly giving them full control of his team. But Ill save my praise for danny after Shanahallen produces a quality football team. Or maybe you can call it Allahan. Or Shanuce. Or Allashanny.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to get a little excited about this offseason.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

All i need to know: Vinny picked Blache to be DC instead of Gray. Who was the Grill disciple?

Ask yourself this: Did The Redskins D play as well after Ggrill left? Did the scheme become less attacking and did the DBs give more cushion at the line? Is that the Secondary coaches fault, or is he being handcuffed by having to play the scheme the Dcoordinator directs?

I'm not saying Gray should be the new Dcoordinator. I am saying that basing an evaluation of his abilities only on this year is not taking all the pertinent factors into account.

Here is another question: Your company owner comes to you and asks you to interview for your dream job. A job that is currently held by your dead man walking boss, and its common knowledge the owner is going to make changes, perhaps imminent changes. Do you take the interview? Do you try to do it as right as possible by telling the current boss what happened? Do you try to deny it in the media once it happens to save the further public emasculation of the dead man walking? Or because the owner or the owners new sherriff tells you to put a media black out on the topic?

Its easy to call Gray a backstabbing bastard and a liar to boot, but nothing is ever as cut and dried as the hacks and crap stirrers like to paint it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Whether Snyder can continue to remain in the background remains to be seen.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:52 AM

Well, duh, another typical gutsy PFT call: que sera sera. Who do you want to trust? Joe Gibbs or Mike Florio?

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I guess it's not directly Grays fault Brown, I just kinda feel like we need to purge ourselves of the entire Zorn staff. I want a new DC, and Teams coach. The Teams Coach from Buffalo, and Zimmer or Hazelett would be a major upgrade for us.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 9:51 AM

Good point. We saw Gregggg Williams do the same thing here (the dip to 31st in D in '06), so I guess it's not unprecedented with that coaching tree.

Hopefully we get Zimmer and render all this talk moot anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"I am starting to get a little excited about this offseason...."

Me too.

In about a month, the blog will be filled with the released redskins info.

That will be very telling about the new gang in town.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 9:56 AM

Now THAT we can agree on. Here's my best case scenario for the main assistants:

OC: Kyle Shanahan (already done)
DC: Mike Zimmer
ST: Bobby April

Please God...we deserve a break here!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

moe, gonna be in orlando on the 15th-21st, can you please get the friggin weather a little better down there....if I wanted cold weather I'd stay home....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

They should be as far away from those trophies as possible until they win one! hehe. .. or at least beat Dallas twice.. hehehehehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Now THAT we can agree on. Here's my best case scenario for the main assistants:

OC: Kyle Shanahan (already done)
DC: Mike Zimmer
ST: Bobby April

Please God...we deserve a break here!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 10:02 AM |

I will take that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I think the longer the hires take ("gonna take my time" is code for "my candidates are in the playoffs") the more likely there will not be any holdovers from the current staff.

I can't believe that there are not 1 or 2 diamonds in the rough that Shanahan may want to give a shot. I also think this: Running the ENTIRE staff gives the players a complete pass on their part of the 2009 crap fest.

PS I'm wondering if Quinn is gonna improve under Zorn's wacky, medium themed tutelage.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is Clevelands QB coach?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | January 7, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully we get Zimmer and render all this talk moot anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26

Agreed.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Zoron got picked up by ClevageLand?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

No Jerry Gray please...maybe the dude deserves a promotion....but somewhere else.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 8:51 AM

Why not here? He wasn't running Jerry Gray's Defense. He was helping out on Greg Blache's Defense. And that defense would have been good enough if the Redskins Offense would have averaged 21 points a game.

Look up in Buffalo and see what he did there.....Jerry Gray is someone you don't want to let go....Doing otherwise would be shortsided....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I also think it maybe time for Danny Smith to get the boot. We don't block punts, we don't return punts/kickoffs for TD's and we constantly change place kickers. Anyone agree.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Not yet Vabeach... but things supposedly aren't going well for mangini in his talks w/ Holmgren. If you had to pick any team in the league for Zorn to get a soft landing, where would you pick?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

4th, time for a fresh start across all boards....clean it out get them all out of here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"....gonna be in orlando on the 15th-21st, can you please get the friggin weather a little better down there....if I wanted cold weather I'd stay home...."

Changing the weather is no longer a part of my job description.

I lost that job after I sent that hurricane to New Orleans and tsunami to asia.

As for now, it's my responsibility to make sure the sun comes up and goes down on schedule.

My supervisor says that I can't f!ck up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Live and learn. Die and forget it all. Whew!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

And the punter only has a .50 completion rate.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I see your point about vertical coaching movements.

That's probably why he didn't get another DC position right away.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

For Pete's sake! This argument has no basis in reality. Did everyone already forget what people around the league were saying when Gibbs returned?

When Gibbs came back, a lot was made about how he assembled an "all-star" group of coaches for his coaching staff. How Snyder was paying all the assistants tons of money because there was no salary cap on coaches.

And how many of the coaches on Gibbs' staff had held higher positions in other organizations.

That includes Jerry Gray, who was a DC before coming for work for Gibbs. That includes Greg Blatche, who went from being Defensive Coordinator for Da Bears a few years beforehand to being a Defensive Line Coach (!) under Gibbs.

The whole point was that all these guys took lower positions than they might have gotten elsewhere in order to work for JOE FREAKING GIBBS, one of the top 3 coaches in NFL history. Many of them cited what a golden opportunity is was to be able to learn from a Hall of Fame coach.

It's that simple. For real.

So let's not just look at the failure of Blatche's schemes and play calls and simply assume that all the Redskins' defensive coaches are crap. That would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Many of the league's assistant coaches succeed in one spot and fail in another, or succeed under one head coach but don't work well with a different one. It happens.

Aside from Zorn, the Redskins' assistants are very highly regarded around the league. Aside from the ones who are retiring, I expect many to land on their feet someplace else if Shanny doesn't retain them.

Posted by: jcabana | January 7, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ok, wait - we're not talking about Gray's schemes. We're talking about his accountability. His players were choking (chokeing?) on a weekly basis.

I blame the scheme as well, but why would you reward the worst part of the D? From Shanahan's comments it seems he's rating player accountability a virtue. I would hope he holds the coaches to a similar standard.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Bean is right.....Time for a fresh start with the coaches. I think Mike will bring in the right guys. He knows that D was his shortcoming in Denver, so I would assume he makes for damn sure that he gets the right guy for that job.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Here is how I see the JC17 and CP26 thing working out with Shanahan.

Mike sits down with Jason, they start watching tape, Mike turns to Jason says, "Here are the 5 passes you seem really good at, here are the 4 formations you seem most comfortable with, what do you think?", Jason and him talk, then Mike Shanahan will determine if he can create a offense around those 4 formations and pass routs.

Mike sits down with Ports, tells him, your fat, lazy and slow. Then gives him the option to work his @$$ off and see if he will end up being able to platoon with some spry young whipper snappers. If not CP is gone.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 7, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Alex, stop making sense!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Here's what Shanahan said in the last post:

"I'm aware of everybody, every coach. It's what I do. I study coaches, I study coordinators, I know what they've done, I know where they've been. He [Gray] has a very, very good past. I look forward to talking to him."

You know, if Shanahan picks Gray, I'm willing to accept his judgement. If he picks someone else, I'll accept his judgement. Would I trust the judgement of the gaggle of ninnies posting up here? No.

I really believe that Shanahan knows more about it than any of us posters. And not only does he know more about it, he also has more at stake in choosing the right man.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

They should be looking at assistants on teams that have consistently good attacking style defenses. Pittsburgh, Philly etc. Is Kirk Olivadotti (sp?) in the mix for the DC job? Read somewhere Coughlin may be interested in interviewing him for the gig in NY. Send Jerry Gray packing.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 7, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

...then Dan Snyder hires Portis as an offensive consultant and strips Shanahan of playcalling duties.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was reading the article about how Shanny schemes against other teams, sounds like the way Belichick can scheme a defense to stop a certain scheme ala the Rams in the SB.

It will be nice to have a coach that schemes to the opponets weakness we haven't had that in a long time, even Gibbs 2.0 didn't do that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Here's what Shanahan said in the last post:

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:28 AM

Agreed. I think Shanny will make good decisions with his coaching staff. this is his likely last stop to make a SB run. He'll give it his best effort.

Posted by: TWISI | January 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

LS, nobody under the age of 70 should ever use the word "ninnies" unless it's a derogatory term for breasts. That is all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

You know, if Shanahan picks Gray, I'm willing to accept his judgement.

Posted by: League-Source
--------------------------

I do not accept his judgment in defensive capacity. It's clear that defense is not his forte. That's why I want a juggernaut for DC.

I acknowledge his scheme was not the one in place, but Gray could have been coaching double moves, tackling, and catching. I'm looking specifically at the things he should have been able to control, and determining that there are many better options.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 7, 2010 10:29 AM |

I'd bet my house that Shanny contract is filled with clauses preventing any thing like that from happening.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

brownwood, big assumption that LS is under 70.....reading his posts lead me to gues he is about 82.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

After listening to Shanny's press conf. you get the feeling that we are now in better hands with him, I mean the man exudes confidence in what he does. We are a better team today because of him. I fully trust his judgement in coaches and players.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:37 AM

Exhibit A: Self-deluded poster who thinks he knows more about defense than Mike Shanahan.

Look, you might know more than Snyder, but Shanahan? What are you taking?

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 10:15 AM

Don't you think Gray would be a fresh start? Why do they all need to leave? It's not their fault that Landry is undisciplined or CR22 always bite. And he wasn't even running the show? What has the DLine coach done wrong? LB Coach? Safties coach?

I admit some changes need to made....but when the hired Gibbs 1.0, they kept the same staff for the most part.

I see Gray with a more attacking style offense, especially with Shanny as the HC...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

so would you buy season tix if your name "comes up" this year?

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 10:39 AM

Other big assumption? That CL is over 16. You skipping school again today, CL?

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

so would you buy season tix if your name "comes up" this year?

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't
I will never go to a Redskins game until they build their stadium back in DC

Posted by: alex35332 | January 7, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Daaayyyyyuuuummm, i was walking on the beach in the Bahamas when I was shocked to see AH stroll by with his man ninnies flapping in the breeze.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

gaggle of ninnies?

I believe we are actually a compendium of ninnies.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 7, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Look, you might know more than Snyder, but Shanahan? What are you taking?

Posted by: League-Source
---------

That's what we do here, we post opinions. You should know that.

I'm not saying they should hire me as a consultant to choose the DC. I'm saying BA should be the one deciding because Shanahan doesn't have the best track record there.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

82....I'd have said 97 myself...either makes sense...I'm just shocked that old dog remembers how to log on every day.....he'll have no idea we're talking about him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Other big assumption? That CL is over 16. You skipping school again today, CL?"

Posted by: League-Source

Good one LS, whats next jokes about my mom's basement, my WoW obsession?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The DC will be Zimmer he has no contract next year and he knows he will control the D completley, plus he will get paid better then what the Bengals can offer.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think Gray should go to work in Cleveland... they can get the band back together up there, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:48 AM

And what's BA's track record in selecting DC's?

This is back to the model that failed in Cerrato/Zorn: let the GM pick the assistants.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 10:43 AM

4th, are you high?

YES!!! IT WAS HIS FAULT!

Figure it out already. If it happens once out of character, then blame the player. When it is a consistent repeating series of blown coverages, bad tackling, poor angles, bad communication and BULLSH!T attitudes, then you have to hold the coach accountable.

Didn't we just fire the head coach for much the same reasons - his team played badly?

What is the coach accountable for on your planet?

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

I'm thinking Zimmer is first looking for HC openings. That's why we're cheering for the JETS so DS can wormtongue him into a contract before he can interview for HC somewhere else.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Gotta love how a guy calls someone sophomoric with a--I can't make this up--sophomoric joke. SMH...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That's what we do here, we post opinions. You should know that.
Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:48 AM

I disagree….that’s what Vinny did with Zorn…..The GM should choose the HC. The HC needs to choose his own staff to ensure that they work well together, not have someone forced on him. Of course there are exceptions, I know. The only successful case I can think of (not saying it’s the only one) was when Gibbs came to town Beathard said that Pettibone was his DC. Then again there was Ditka and Buddy Ryan, but they ended up HATING each other (maybe worth winning a SB over though).

I could care less whether Gray stays or not, but I would lean towards getting rid of any coaches who were a part of the inmates running the asylum on Zorn’s team, no matter how qualified they may or may not be. Any old names that stick around would be starting in a hole whereas the players would already know how to play them like a fiddle to get their easy way out of things. Just my humble O though.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 10:50 AM

Agreed, and I think the way to go. Ok, the players support Gray but that means nothing. I don't think the defense/secondary was maximized this year anyway.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM

Perfectly symmetric with calling someone geriatric with a geriatric joke.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The Skins gave up 21 points a game which ranks them 18th. Certainly not great. But that is somewhat misleading...the number is slightly skewed due to the year end meltdown (27+ PPG the last 3) as well as the inability of the offense to spend time on the field and be productive. With all that, we were .8 PPG behind LeBeau's D in Pitt. And FWIW, the pass D ranked 9th! Gray coached the STRENGTH of the D. Now am i enthralled with our D? No but that is not our area of weakness even with the great/awful Gray and the strength/weakness secondary. I'd be ok if the whole D and D coaching staff returned because the the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to improving the Skins will be found on offense where we averaged 16.6 PPG (26th), were 22nd in YPG, 16th in Pass YDS and 27th in run yards.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs

I think the players supporting Gray, ie; Hall, Rogers, LL, etc.. may be in part because he excused so much of their sloppy play. I still can't and won't forget Hall being drug like a sack of potatoes for a first down by Jake Delhomme. PATHETIC.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Denver used to be pretty active with trades around draft time (usually ripping us off). But they none the less traded and moved around during draft day. the 4th pick is pretty good ammo to get more of what we need which is picks. I am all for Okung if he is there, But there are like 5 tackles that would be better than Heyer or Levi so if we can get a lower 1st and another second, then we would have a greater chance of filling some holes.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"They should be looking at assistants on teams that have consistently good attacking style defenses."

You guys say 'attack' and 'blitz'.

What do you mean by that?

Blache inherited Grilliams' system.

And Grilliams' attacked and blitzed early and often.

But Blache, for whatever reason, didn't.

The skins defense sits in the same 4-3 set every weekend, and the players are coached to play a theory when the NFL is all about making plays that win the game.

Too, Blache didn't put his players in positions where they could become stars.

So what we want is a coordinator who takes what we have to attack a team's protection schemes so Landry, Orakpo, Wilson, Carter or Haynesworth can blitz, do damage, and make plays that create turnovers/sacks.

Getting turnovers and sacks shortens fields and helps a challenged offense.

And this is what we all want.

At least that's what I think I want.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

sign me up Moe...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Reskins fans do your research Jerry Gray had a top 2 defense and top 5 and #1 ranked D in Buffalo. He can be DC; all he did was what Danny Boy asked him to do to fullfill the Rooney Rule he was just more loyal to Danny Boy then to Jim Zorn cause he knew Zorney would be fired. He has CREDITIALS and by the way Zimmer was fired from Dallas and what is Cincy's D ranking any way. Im Jerry Gray supporter would you all like to be one to?

Posted by: hammer4 | January 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM |

Zimmer is not looking to be a head coach, he has been in the league for a long time and I doubt he has even interviewed for a head coaching position.

If it was going to happen it would have happend by now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

If the Skins averaged just 8 points more per game, we'd have been 11-5 going by the amount of points given up in each game. If we can cut down on teams last minute drives to tie or take the lead, which seemed to happen a bunch, and score 1 more TD a game, that would make us a winning team.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan is going to pick all of his coaches. Period. To think otherwise means you have not been paying attention.

Gray very, very, very likely will NOT be one of them. There are other options at least as good as Gray, and right or wrong, there is too much baggage with Gray wrt to the interview crapola. The DBs were either not getting good coaching, or they were disregarding the coaching to continually make the same mistakes on the field, or they were too stupid to understand the coaching which means the coach didn't dumb it down enough. Any old way, that sucks.

Speaking of dumb DB's, anybody else get the feeling that young Messrs Horton and Landry lead the "be barely on time and not spend too much if any time studying film" brigade? Horton got disfavored and benched, Landry's athletic talent kept him on the filed in the absence of any remotely viable replacement candidate.

I KNOW we need to fix the Oline, but the one pick other than trade down or LT I would be ok with is Eric Berry.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

203.1
(6th)
RUSH YDS
98.3
(7th)

Posted by: alex35332 | January 7, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

No more drafting safties and corners. We need to draft young offensive linemen ASAP! I repeat, we need to do this ASAP and stop ignoring it. The best teams in the NFL always pick a few linemen every year just to keep the stables full.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"...gaggle of ninnies?...a compendium of ninnies."

Yeah, we do have some people whining in here like trailer park housewives looking for their husbands on payday.

Folks need to chill and have some perspective.

It's going to take the new gang in town some time to fix the offense--that's where the issues lie.

I'm willing to sit through a couple of bad seasons, stock picks, start rookie linemen, watch Thomas, Kelly, Mtchell, Davis mature, and watch Jason Campbell while his replacement gets groomed.

By the end of the '11 season, the skins should be a decent team.

If not, then I'll start whining.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

JReid and the lot of RI writers should be ashamed that the Denver Post is scooping them on so many stories (or speculation, for that matter):

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

After the Ole' Ball Coach fiasco, I started thinking about what kind of HC might work best for this team. Eventually, I decided that, regardless of the offense or defense scheme favored by a particular HC; it wouldn't make any difference without having the proper talent in uniform and a guy those players knew he wasn't going to take any crapola. At all.

My short list of guys who filled the bill was (in no particular order) Jeff Fisher, Cowher, Mike Singletary, Parcells (if you could get him back on the sideline) Belichick and Shanahan.

Someone needs to come in with a very big foot and shove it into an uncomfortable place with a number of these players and make it real clear that if you're not winning, you're leaving. And the team needs an owner who, the first time some player calls him up whining that "coach doesn't like me," tells the player to go find a team with a coach he likes more. And then hang up.

A little less enabling, a little more team responsibility and the basis of a playoff team is there. This is not a 4-year wandering in the desert deal. This is something that, by week 15 next season, fans will be able to say with confidence that it's a whole lot better than it was. Not all the way there, just a whole lot better.

Shanahan needs the owner (and GM) to allow him to go into the locker room with a STFU and listen attitude. And players need to feel that ignoring him imperils their stay as Washington Redskins. Regardless of who they are.

I wish him well.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Our biggest problem is and has always been ever since Mann and Manley is that we can't get a decent pass rush with our front four. Even when we blitzed recently with Blache, we never jail breaked like other teams do to us on the blitz!

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:07 AM |

Sorry Fed, but this analysis doesn't hold water. If you are in the lead, you don't run a hurry-up aggressive offense to score points, you slow it down, dink and dump and sand bag as much as you can.

When the Skins were losing, this is all the other team needed to do because we never come back late in the fourth. When we held the lead, the other teams routinely stormed down the field for the winning score. Do I need to name the games?

Stats don't work here because having the lead or not, and by how much changes too many other dynamics.

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"We need to draft young offensive linemen ASAP!"

I beg to differ about the defense.

Watch Alabama's Ronaldo McClain tonite.

He's a big linebacker who can run.

He'd be the perfect guy to replace Fletch, but he's not gonna get drafted by us.

The defense needs some fast linebackers with size.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hammer4 | January 7, 2010 11:06 AM |

Ciny's d is ranked 4th and Zimmer lasted under 4 coaches at Dallas including Parcells. Wade Phillips is a defensive guy but his defenses have been worse then Zimmers were.

If you are talking about Grays defenses while he was under Williams, then give that credit to Williams not Gray.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM

We tied for 8th with 40 sacks this year, a significant improvement over last.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Somebody please post the Dpost article. Thanks.

Not sure why they apparently think we need or want T Sheffler. I would be open to B Marshall depending on the price. I would take B Marshall and their number 1 for our number 1. Any less, they can keep him.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Climate change is oxymoronic

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 6, 2010 8:30 PM

My favorite morons are oxymorons.

Also, I want to make my pitch today to install MistaMoe as the new GM of RI. We need to rebuild, start fresh, new blood, new platitudes, etc. Seriously, my end of season awards for RI rookie of the year (Moe, when did you start up here?) goes to MistaMoe. Solid on the Xs and Os, light, snarky, fresh.

Now what was all this about Zorn in Cleveland?

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

OK I agree, but I still think that with better scheming and a little luck (we never catch the tipped balls, fumbles bounce away from us) the defense will be OK. We need to focus on offense for this year.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

brownie

"Not a fan of getting Marshall or Scheffler, but there is a DESPERATE need for a Chris Kuper."

This is gold.

Thanks....

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Tony Scheffler and Brandon Marshall ... on my list of contracts filled for several seasons with guys still on the upside of their career, the Skins roster at TE and WR looks fine. The only fiddle on what we got would be room for a PR (who could be a WR, CB, or RB for his day job).

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My fave Oxys are oxycotins....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Its the "Holmgren Rule". After he publicly slapped snyderato and blew his boy, he has to give him a job.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree we did better in the pass rush area first time I can remember having two guys with 10 sacks. And other teams did not need to jail brake our line. I remember end of the year Jason Campbell was doing 3 step drops and a 3 man rush was able to get to him before step 3.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Can someone post the texts to denver post article?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The defense needs some fast linebackers with size.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Welcome to what I've been saying all year.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Here's the Denver Post article by Jeff Legwold:

BRONCOS,REDSKINS A DEALING DUO

Despite 32 NFL teams doing business in 32 places, probably no two teams have swapped players or draft picks more in recent years than the Broncos and the Washington Redskins.

Former Broncos coach Mike Shana-han was introduced Wednesday as the Redskins' new coach in search of new players, meaning Denver may have a willing suitor for players it wants to unload. Shanahan won't need directory assistance to get the phones ringing.

"I know in my time, we always had a feeling Denver would kind of do a deal when it was time," former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. "And we were always willing to do things too. Neither team was hesitant about getting to it."

In recent seasons the Broncos and Redskins have manufactured the rare blockbuster trade — Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and a draft pick. They have swapped first-round draft picks. And they have been part of a multiteam deal that sent disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie to the Atlanta Falcons.

The teams have been so willing to deal that even after the Broncos signed Dre Bly out from under the Redskins in 2007, the Redskins still pursued Bly in a trade in the days that followed by offering Shanahan a deal that included Shawn Springs.

"It's one of those places where they want a winner and the team does whatever it takes," said Bailey, who played five seasons for Washington to go with his six for Denver since the 2004 trade. "And you would expect with (owner Daniel Snyder) and Coach Shanahan, they'll do whatever it takes. If anybody can turn it around, (Shanahan) can."

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

We tied for 8th with 40 sacks this year, a significant improvement over last.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:19 AM

You're right, we improved alot. Didn't we have a8 sack game against Oak also which inflated the number some. I just didn't see a havoc style pass rush with players coming free. I think Orakpo will hopefully change that some.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Besides, and in all seriousness now, Quinn would benefit from some quality QB coaching. Which Zorn is able to provide.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Skins roster definitely need more representation by Alaskans.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Denver Post article (cont'd):

Don't be surprised if Shanahan and the Redskins are interested in restricted free agents such as Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall, tight end Tony Scheffler and guard Chris Kuper. Marshall and Scheffler almost certainly are headed elsewhere after being benched by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels for the season finale. Both would fit quickly into the Redskins' new playbook.

Washington, with many holes to fill along the offensive line, will be adjusting to Shanahan's zone-blocking run game, which calls for smaller, quicker linemen. The Redskins, who were battered by injuries up front this season, have not stocked their line in recent drafts, having selected only two offensive linemen over the past five drafts and only one offensive lineman in the first or second round in the past 10 drafts — left tackle Chris Samuels in the first round of the 2000 draft. Neck problems may have Samuels considering retirement.

That could put Kuper in demand by the Redskins. And because Snyder is one of the NFL's most free-spending owners, Shanahan will have the ability to send out plenty of offer sheets that are difficult for teams to match.

The Broncos, like any team, would have seven days to match an offer sheet for one of their restricted free agents after free agency opens in March.

Shanahan's hiring could affect the Broncos' coaching staff as well. McDaniels likely will make a few changes in the coming weeks.

Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison is being considered for the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator job. But Shanahan is poised to offer Dennison a job as well, two league sources said Tuesday night.

As of Wednesday afternoon, neither team had formally asked permission to interview Dennison. Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner, strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, assistant strength coach Greg Saporta, special-teams assistant Keith Burns and director of football administration Mike Bluem all were longtime Shana-han associates who figure to draw interest from him.

And with final say over the Redskins' football operations, Shanahan promised Wednesday to move quickly and do "whatever it takes" to return the team to the playoffs.

"I'm looking forward to leading this football team. I'm excited to be here," Shanahan said at Redskins headquarters in Ashburn, Va. "I'm going to give it everything I've got."

And that might include some of what the Broncos have.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM

We tied for 8th with 40 sacks this year, a significant improvement over last.
Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:19 AM |

I agree with Joe….Blache never brought the house. Seems like every time he brought a LB, a DL would drop back in coverage, hoping not to overload, but “confuse” the offense. I can’t recall seeing him send more than one guy on a blitz often at all.

The increase in sacks, IMO, was from the addition of Haynesworth. You really saw Carter and Orakpo’s numbers stall when Big Al was out. Also, the raiders oline and QB’s just plain sucked and boosted the sack total higher than it should have been.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 7, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:07 AM |

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 11:14 AM

Yes and no since D and O complement as well as detriment each other. Inability to score however is problematic. Keeping the offense on the field as well as being able to score more than just by accident is going to invariably help your D and your chances for wins. This is a scoring league and you need to be able to put points on the board. We weren't. Did the D put up stops when it had to? Not often enough. But unlike most successful teams, it was playing with zero margin for error because we could NOT SCORE POINTS.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

... seriousness now, Quinn would benefit ...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:28 AM

It will take a least four seasons to wash the stink of Notre Dame off the guy.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Brownwood. I think the AFC west blogger on espn (Bill Williamson) was making the Marshall and Sheffler noise. I get the Marshall thing, but Sheffler? Seems silly given Cooley and Davis being on the roster.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The guys at the Denver post don't know are roster to well we have to better TE's then the one in Denver.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Exactly!!! It was magnified due to the fact that we didn't score. If we put up points for a change with some long and sustained drives and put a fresh D out there and coupled with a pressure attacking style of D, I think we could be a good team.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I bet Shanahan lets Kubiak get Dennison as a quid pro quo for Lil Shanny. And, Oline is a lateral move here, but he would get a promotion to Ocoord in Houston.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood--I don't think any of that stuff makes sense. We're not going after any receivers this year. A guard, maybe but the idea that Shanahan will be signing RFA offer sheets that other teams can't match is weird. To sign an RFA means giving up draft picks, and the 'Skins don't have enough picks to raid rosters.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

While the Raiders game did inflate, Haynesworth was brought in for just that reason. Even without Oak, our sack numbers were better. Would I like to see a few more blitzes? Perhaps but it gets back to being able to score points. A blitz is a gamble (especially for us it seems) and our D was playing with zero room (read safe) for error because we could not score. It was definitely a bend but don't break mentality but out of necessity. I would rather a LeBeau or Jim Johnson type D but I'd settle for one that does not allow a lot of points, regardless of how it accomplishes that.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe
----------------------------

How do you figure Shanahan owes Kubiak anything. I was unable to find out if he is breaking any contracts, but I don't see any hubub about it so I assume he's not. In that case, there's no quid, so there's no pro quo.

I hope Shanahan goes after Dennison and gets him.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:23 AM |

I think we need to favor the O this year in the draft, but to completely ignore the D will put us in a similar hole next year. A little balance goes a long way, but yes, in principal, I agree.

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I guess wapo doesn't hold a monopoly on critical thinking skills challenged writers.

J/K! Sort of.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I hope Shanahan goes after Dennison and gets him.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 11:43 AM |

Kyle Shanny had it in his contract with Houston, that if his dad came back to coaching he could leave to coach with him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

rex...

Nevermind.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Solid intel! So Shanny doesn't owe any favors. Lets get Dennison.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Someone tell me if I am paranoid, but isn't the Elder Shanny the offensive mastermind? I know Houston was good on O, but I'd feel better in Mike was calling plays, not Kyle. Plus his name is Kyle, George Carlin doesn't approve of that name.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone not named Sherman is cool with me.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I agree, LS but that's what the Denver Post is saying, not me. Of the three players he named, the only one worth a really look is Kuper.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Bonehead of the week award goes to the Eagles employee who filmed himself spitting on the cowboys star at midfield….twice, and then posted the video on the Eagles website. (they have since taken the video down).

Saw this on the local news this morning…..naturally some of the idiot Eagles fans thought that it was awesome and should fire up the Eagles. Right….it’s gonna fire the Eagles up….not Dallas.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | January 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Solid intel! So Shanny doesn't owe any favors. Lets get Dennison.

Posted by: REXskins | January 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Its not a contractual thing, they are friends, colleagues and Kubiac gave his son a huge break. Dennison will not be on Skins staff.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

screw favors, what is this grade school?

fedor, houston had a very good offense, with Kyle calling the plays....drop your paranoia...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Would I like to see a few more blitzes? Perhaps but it gets back to being able to score points. A blitz is a gamble (especially for us it seems) and our D was playing with zero room (read safe) for error because we could not score. ... I would rather a LeBeau or Jim Johnson type D but I'd settle for one that does not allow a lot of points, regardless of how it accomplishes that.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 11:42 AM

I agree. Blitzes are situational, must have stops. I would prefer that the four man from actually just accomplish the sack task on its own, like the Giants used to be able to do. [And the reason that Suh dropping to the #4 pick would cause me to soil my pants ... and the reason I could foregive a trade up of some combination of Golston, Montgomery, Alexander if we could move up to get him if he dropped to #3.]

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

dcsween

"Moe, when did you start up here...?"

I been in this blog since the days of Gibbs 2.0.

But all I did was read posts and chuckle and send notes to La Canfora.

La Canfora told me to post.

And I've been at it for two years.

So if you don't like my observations, blame him.

But I'm far from a rookie.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget, Kyle has AJ as a stud receiver, he improves a team temendously.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 7, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

...Suh dropping to the #4 pick would cause me to soil my pants ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 11:55 AM

sween gonna be watching the draft in Depends. He's gonna see what it's like to be Cork.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

From Maese' article this morning ...

"Shanahan and Allen will immediately begin evaluating every aspect of the organization, from the scouting department to the front office, where longtime executives, such as Scott Campbell, the director of player personnel, Eric Schaffer, who managed the salary cap, and Morocco Brown, the director of pro personnel who interviewed for the general manager position last month, will be studied closely.

Many in league circles expect Shanahan to quickly add long-time friend Jim Goodman to the Redskins' front office. Goodman was with Shanahan in Denver for 11 seasons, serving as the Broncos' vice president of football operations before he was fired in 2008, shortly after Josh McDaniels was hired to replace Shanahan as coach. His son, Jeff Goodman, formerly Denver's assistant general manager, could also find himself in Ashburn soon."

My recollection about when he was hired was that Morocco Brown (I thought it was Marocco with an "a") was an up-and-comer top-notch knack talent finding guy (pimped by both Gibbs and Grilliams and someone else, the Pro Personnel guy in Chicago? Ozzie?). I recall that he was the "down roster" guy. If so, it would be a shame if Shahahan got all Schottenheimy and nepotistic by throwing out the baby with the bathwater to get "his people."

Same thing with Kirk Olivadotti.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

... So if you don't like my observations, blame him. ...

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 12:02 PM

Dude, don't get me wrong. I dig your observations. Scratch ROY then, I'm putting you up for this season's MVP. [OK then, enough of the man-stroking ...]

Was the Zorn in Cleveland thing just conjecture from up here or did someone repeat some conjecture from somewhere else?

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

From Walterfootball Mock Draft

" Washington Redskins: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
If a new CBA isn't reached, Jason Campbell will be a restricted free agent. He's expected to be tendered, as he happens to be a good fit for Mike Shanahan's offense.

However, that doesn't mean that the Redskins won't take a quarterback with this selection. They may opt to use Campbell as a transitional quarterback for their quarterback of the future.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, so unless Shanahan wants to keep Campbell around for a long time, he'll probably choose Sam Bradford. Snyder loves big-name players, so you know he'll definitely sign off on this move.

Bradford has a lot of issues. He was featured exclusively in the shotgun at Oklahoma; his arm strength is very questionable; he barely played this past season; and he's coming off shoulder surgery.

The big key for Shanahan and Snyder is that final item. Keep in mind that the man who performed Bradford's shoulder surgery, Dr. James Andrews, works for the Redskins, so Shanahan and Snyder will have inside information on Bradford's status. If Andrews gives them good news, there's a very good chance that they'll take Bradford. "

I do not like this, and I've looked at all the mock drafts and none have us taking Okung or any Tackle. So if we get no Offensive Line help this year, forget about improvement.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY (and thanks Jeebus for the intergooglewebtubes), I found a SOLID connection between Cleveland and Zorn.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

From several years of observation it seems to me that most mock drafters don't know much of anything about anything and are wrong more than they are right, especially after the first one or two picks, so I am not putting much stock in what the mock drafts say about what the Redskins will do with the 4th pick.

Posted by: manlius1 | January 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"time for a fresh start across all boards....clean it out get them all out of here...."

Devil's Advocate.

The team went 5-11 in 2006, had the 31st ranked defense, and everyone was calling for Gregg Williams' head.

He was retained, Williams altered his scheme, and the defense posted arguably its most impressive season of the Snyder tenure in 2007, even with losing its best player midseason.

Gray is a good defensive mind. There's a reason his name is always tossed around with regards to other positions around the league. I'm not saying he's the answer defensively, but you don't know what kind of defense he has in mind should he run the show.

Posted by: psps23 | January 7, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:16 PM

mock drafts = power rankings

mock drafts before free agency = American Idol auditions

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

FedorEm, here's one that doesn't have the Skins taking Sam Bradford (PREDICTION: 4th Floor vomiting begins ...)

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Start over with a fresh batch of coaches, yep..Maybe keep Buges or two, but definitely special teams..And hire somebody with experience, not somebody doing public relations for Nestle, jeeziz..

Why is there air?? This is the USA, home of John Wayne, westerns and Remington..The Media jumps all over Goofy Gilbert, while the gov't illegaly massacre civilians in the Mideast , pours guns and drugs into our ghettos, ignores the public health for private interests, etc., etc. ad infinitum- a black sense of humor is necessary in order to maintain your sanity...Take a year off, Gilbert, go to Greece and play ball, the beaches are nice and the food is organic and healthy, avoid Sargon's Evil Glaring Eye..

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

manilus1, yes, those sites are really just making a mockery of the draft.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

According to the mocks we took Micheal Oher last year. They had us taking Oher, Cushing, Maepdqluga, and a defensive back for some odd reason.

I have seen quite a few with us taking Okung, Campbell, and even Anthony Davis. Most of them have us taking Bradford but a few also have us taking Claussen. I'm intrigued by the ones that have us taking Spiller though.

I want Russel Okung, Ciron Black, John Jerry, Legarret Blount, and a KR specialist out of this draft.

I also want a free agent SLB and FS.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 7, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are all right about this. QB in round 1 is the last thing we can afford to do. Jesus I am just as scared of this as I was last year about us moving up to get Sanchez.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I watched Brian Baluga play in the Iowa game the other day and he looked dominant. He is better than Levi or Stephon Heyer.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

4th, are you high?

YES!!! IT WAS HIS FAULT!

What is the coach accountable for on your planet?

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 10:55 AM

Have you ever heard of a coaches hands being tied? You don't hear people calling for Chris Meidt to be fired because Jason Campbell sucks. In fact, people WANTED to promote him to OC on this blog...

And yes...I am high....high above the haters......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Getting turnovers and sacks shortens fields and helps a challenged offense.

And this is what we all want.

At least that's what I think I want.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 11:03 AM

This is what Gray did in Buffaloe...

Just saying...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

What I wish Dan Snyder would say:

I, Daniel Snyder, as a lifelong fan and momentary owner of the Washington Redskins understand that players, coaches, and owners of the Washington Redskins come and go but the fans are forever. We owners, coaches, and players are but momentary keepers of this treasured institution, and as such, understand our responsibility to conduct ourselves in a way that honors those who went before us and maintains the utmost level of professionalism and commitment expected of anyone associated with the Washington Redskins.

Therefore, it is my commitment to you, the fans, to ensure that, win or lose, I myself, the staff, and the players will conduct ourselves in such a way that you can be proud of us and the whole Redskins organization.

I commit to you, the fans, that we will uphold the long standing Redskin traditions of:

Hard Work - Laying the foundation for success on the field

Tenacity - Having a never ever quit attitude

Team Work - Knowing none of us individually are as good as all of us together

Pride - Conducting ourselves in an honorable way so that we never ever embarrass the Washington Redskins and their loyal fans

Honor - Showing respect to our opponents and the officials

Tradition - Kicking the sh_t out of the Cowboys at any and every opportunity.

Hail to the Redskins...forever!

Sincerely,
Daniel Snyder

To some of you "winning is everything" folks this may sound wimpy to you but, more than rooting for a winning team, I want to root for a team that I'm proud of. A team that works hard, plays together, doesn't showboat and act like idiots on or off the field, and shows respect to their opponents...preferably as they trounce them on the football field.

Honor, Respect, Dignity...without these Lombardis don't mean much. Don't get me wrong. I want wins. But I want PRIDE more.

Posted by: Rdsknsfan4life1 | January 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

mock drafts = power rankings

mock drafts before free agency = American Idol auditions

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:22 PM

Hey, if you don't want to take my word for it, here's Don Banks Mock Draft 1.0 from last year, 2009. He was wrong on every one of his first 10 picks. He had one guy, Michael Johnson, at #9 and the dude didn't go until the third round. That's a long time waiting backstage for your phone call.

1. Andre Smith (6)
2. Eugene Moore (8)
3. Matt Stafford (1)
4. Michael Crabtree (10)
5. Malcolm Jenkins (14)
6. Brian Orakpo (13)
7. Michael Oher (23)
8. Aaron Curry (4)
9. Michael Johnson (70)
10. Mark Sanchez (5)

I'm saving this to post when you other ninnies come up here moaning about "mock draft".

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 12:23 PM

Why would I vomit? I am intrigued.

Please explain?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Why would I vomit? I am intrigued.

Please explain?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Air sickness from being high above the haters?

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:16 PM

FYI - The NFL Draft consist of more than just the 1st round.

Acording to this credible site, there are 7 legit tackles in this draft. 3 of which are expected to go in the top 15. We also have the 36th pick in the draft, high enough to grab a Tackle if we want.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha, this does make me feel better. Even though at my expense this was very funny.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Mock drafts and speculation are just a fun way to pass the time during the usual LONG offseason we experience as Redskin fans.

But I'm much more interested right now in how the rest of the coaching staff will shape up, whether there will be a collective bargaining agreement... and which players might get dumped if there isn't one in place.

Lots to happen before the draft rolls around.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Do we know if Morocco Brown will be staying aboard? I've heard he's a pretty good talent evaluator (and he has no plans to be come a league-source).

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 7, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Selvish Capers seems like a good zone blocking type tackle. He's not a big mauler but should be good for what Shanahan likes in his lineman.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 7, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

This is also quite possibly going to be one of the better and deepest draft in recent memory IMO.

Lots of underclassmen coming out that normally might stay in school. Trying to get in and beat a potential rookie salary cap.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 7, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 12:50 PM

No, you're exempt. I referred to "other ninnnies." They know who they are, and they're not you. Sorry if I implied that you were one of them.

But that is pretty interesting, isn't it? Not one right call in ten, although 6 of the ten that he named actually went in the top ten.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Here are your FA Olineman for 2010. Notice that Houston will have 2 FAs from their line. Think they WONT be canidates to come here??? One of which is their starting RT...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

4. Washington Redskins—Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

Assuming Mike Shanahan is the next head coach in Washington, he will want to build a line that can run his system. Whether it's Jason Campbell, an old vet or a wide-eyed rookie at QB, they and the rushing attack are going to struggle without a line in front of them.

The 'Skins were able to land the fourth pick. With all of the talent on the board, it is great trade bait to move down and get the tackle they want, unless Okung is still on the board.

Davis wouldn't be a terrible pick at four, but bringing back Campbell and trading down to get more out of this robust draft would be the best plan of action for a team that isn't as far from the playoffs as some think.

*I tend to agree with this mock draft alot more then the others. Makes more sense to me*

Posted by: ga8085 | January 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

There's usually a run on the OL position late in round 1. The needs to anticipate when that run will most likely happen, and players would be left at #36.

Posted by: TWISI | January 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Correction - we actually have the 37th pick in the draft. When teams have identical records (us and KC) - the tiebreaker is applied to the first round, and then the teams cycle (so KC is 36, us 37, then in the 3rd, we will be first again).

Bit of draft knowledge for yall.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

LS,
the auditions are the only entertaining part of AI. The rest is regurgitation.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 7, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If we can draft 2 OTs in the top 37 and ONE good FA guard, we should improve significantly.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

O...And we may be welcoming back Sage Rosenfields.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is a good list. There are some decent options at tackle. Cool!

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ryp...I didn't know that....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Bit of draft knowledge for yall.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:00 PM

Do you think Bruce Allen could call KC and tell them they can go ahead of us in the third if they'll let us go ahead of them in the fourth and sixth? Vinny would try something like that.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Too bad their tackle will be a RFA if there's no CBA. We'd have to give up picks for him. That's going to be the trouble with FAs this year. The only UFAs available are going to be the older guys on their second or third contracts and the younger guys that the team thought so little of they didn't even bother to tender them. That's why I think the draft is going to be the best place to get tackles. Tackles are usually cheap and are usually retained.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 7, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

who went 4th and 37th last year?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Bean - Seattle, then Denver using Seattle's pick at #37.

How did Duke Robinson do this year? Still can't believe we didn't pick him up in the 4th or 5th round.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:17 PM

Thirty other teams in the league are saying the same thing. Happens every draft.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

He was projected to go in 2nd round and was a monster guard at our position of greatest need. Instead, we wasted 2 picks on guys who didn't make the team.

Terrrrrrrific.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 7, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Not to rehash, but after "Soups" comments on Portis, I have an even more renewed vision of seeing him stay in DC....

Atta boy, JC17!!!! I think those comments will be the beginning of more "policing" in the locker room.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 7, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The higly praised (up here) Loadholt went #54.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is a good list. There are some decent options at tackle. Cool!

Posted by: FedorEm | January 7, 2010 1:05 PM |

Is this list with or without a cap because if it is with a cap then most of the people on it will be RFA, when there is no cap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar

'cept the last draft was ALL about the defense. One O player taken ... in rd 7.

Orakpo, Jarmon, Barnes, Glenn, Henson, etc

The defense has enough talent to be good, but they lack chemistry. Its the O that is the problem child. Fortunately, Allen and Shanny seem to think the OL matters, and that is a big change

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

who went 4th and 37th last year?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 1:15 PM |

4 Aaron Curry
37 Alphonso Smith

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Duke Robinson I believe he was on the Panthers bench all year. At this point he's a backup, needing to work on pass pro. Of course, he would've been a starter with the Skins, and you all would have killed him as being another busted pick of Vinny C.

Posted by: TWISI | January 7, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

no gnus is good gnus?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 7, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Bit of draft knowledge for yall.

____________________

I think this only applies if the tie breaker goes to a coin flip. Which isn't the case between the Redskins and Chiefs.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 7, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 7, 2010 1:31 PM

Have no clue....

Some guy named Jason LaCanfora has this article with a potential list. Alot of the people from my post is not on here...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 7, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

was this thing beeped?

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"I don't want Snyder to take a back seat, I want him the f*ck out of the car altogether!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 9:28 AM"

You come up with about $2 BILLION in cash liquidity I'm pretty sure Danny would be happy to sell you the team and go.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | January 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse