Shanahan expects Campbell to return to Redskins

Updated at 11:45

Quarterback Jason Campbell, who will become a restricted free agent March 5, will be tendered an offer this week, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said today in a press conference at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

He said, according to tweets by Jason Reid and Rick Maese, that he expects Campbell to be part of the team, although he wouldn't say what the tender offer would be. Shanahan expects a lot of competition at the quarterback position and said he expects Campbell to "be here."

Shanahan said that the coaching staff is continuing to evaluate players, adding that you need to see them in person, in camp, to know what they can do. He plans to attend college pro days himself and watch draft prospects in person since top quarterbacks aren't throwing in Indy.

Shanahan addressed other matters ...

Offseason workouts: "It's very important to show your teammates how hard you work." (via @Rich_Campbell) and "I want everybody to be as good a football player as they can be."

Which brings us to Clinton Portis: "Let's not talk about Clinton. Let's talk about the whole team." Shanahan indicated there will be a pre-draft minicamp.

On the Redskins and the NFC East: On where the Redskins stand in the NFC East: "It will be a challenge for us to get this organization back to where it's been."

He had little to say about the offensive, other than: "That was a battered group."

Calling the plays on offense: That will be offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Buffalo thrills ... Shanahan says he gave strong consideration to taking the Buffalo head coaching job, but joked that his wife wouldn't live there with him because of the weather.

By Cindy Boren  |  February 26, 2010; 11:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live: Mike Shanahan news conference at combine
Next: Shanahan outlines expectations for Redskins players

Comments

perhaps but i doubt he'll be our FIRST string QB in 2 years

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | February 26, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

that's the best you got really?

its like watching JC in the 4th quarter of close game.....firing blanks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was up all night long giving your lady my best. That explains why I'm firing blanks this morning.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

oooooooh let's get off mom's since I just got off your's.......really PA? that's where your going now

my dad could beat up your dad

your momma's so fat.......

amazingly good stuff you sure told me.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Second

Posted by: davefromdc1 | February 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, no one wanted to play Collins, despite his clearly better performance in the brief moments he was allowed onto the field, and if the Redskins actually had a third-string quarterback this season, no one saw him.

Posted by: Vic
=========+++++++++=============

Campbell comes back in to start the 2nd Half and throws a Screen Pass into the stands.. arrrgghhh..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:28 AM
========================
Stop the "Hating" it wasnt 60 yards it was 57.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, what does "Shanahan says team will use 3-4 defense but will use 4-man front" mean? Dude, either you're running a 3-4 or you're not...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:18 AM

Was something lost in the tweet? Maybe we're running a 4-4?

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

what would be really funny is if Shanahan comes in and Campbell becomes a pro bowl quarterback.

just look at what Shanahan did with Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer.

these guys never looked as good before or after as they did when Shanahan was their offensive coach.

Campbell will never be a Steve Young or Drew Brees in terms of his feel for the game and athletic fluid motion.

But he can be a guy that can get you to 11 or 12 wins if the rest of the team is quality and not the waiver wire material he was dealing with on the OL in 2009.

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | February 26, 2010; 11:01 AM ET

If I were trying to trade Campbell, this is what I'd say at this press conference. "What? You want my starting QB? Man, that's going to cost you."

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'll take that bet. And its one I'd be happy to lose but somehow I doubt I would....

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

What he said: He "expects" Campbell to be part of the team.

What he really meant: Unless another team makes us a decent offer.???????

Posted by: skinswest | February 26, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

OK have to accept possible fact that Bradford and Okung are off the board and there will be another season with JC17 as QB. I would pass on clausen for two reasons. 1) reminds me of a Ryan Leaf scenerio, Indy pics Manning because of character issues even though Leaf has better arm. and SD end up with Mr. BIG HEAD. 2) wasn't that long ago Clevland chose another "NFL READY" QB from ND. Sorry no Bradford I'll wait for next year crop and hope we have a top five pic again? this sucks!

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I can only hope Campbell will decline the "tender"

Sincerely,

The Entire Redskins Fanbase

Posted by: sjp879 | February 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM

On Redskins.com the new QB coach said what Kyle is good at is scheming plays that accentuates what the QB is good at. So, at the very least, we can hope whomever is the starting QB that guy will be placed in favorable situations for him to succeed.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

JC will be the starting QB for the Skins in 2010.
No one is going to trade for JC, Come On.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Draft a LT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, it's also exactly what I'd say if I expected to keep Campbell around.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even a Campbell supporter/advocate/sympathizer, but:

SUCK IT JC HATERS!!!!

lmao...

No doubt, I expect those who want to see him gone continue their long drawn out spiel about why he should be gone.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 26, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

JC will be the starting QB for the Skins in 2010.
No one is going to trade for JC, Come On.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:37 AM

You don't think there is any merit in the Buffalo rumors?

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Don't be a fool and fall for the same old thing we've had the last 10 years. Nothing has changed, including the firing of Zorn and Cerrato and the hiring of Shanahan and Allen.

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!

Posted by: hessone | February 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Redskins to trade up for Sam?
11:32AM ET
Washington Redskins
Top Email

With word that the Rams might be taking Sam Bradford No. 1 overall this April, the other team that thinks quite highly of him might be in trouble of missing out. We've been hearing for a while now that the Redskins value Bradford as a potential franchise QB, and he would not get past their spot in the first round.

Speaking to the press at the draft combine, Rams GM Billy Devaney indicated that the team was still weighing the merits of Ndamukong Suh vs. Gerald McCoy, as well as Bradford vs. Jimmy Clausen. In order for the Redskins to ensure that they could get Bradford -- and all indications seem to indicate that they value him ahead of Clausen -- they might need to trade up to that No. 1 slot. Bradford's price tag as the No. 1 overall pick might not be an issue for perennial big spender Daniel Snyder.

This could set off a chain reaction of sorts, as the Lions and Bucs would both likely take a DT, and the Rams could have Clausen -- an equally good outcome, per Devaney's comments -- or make a move for Michael Vick.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UGH! While I have no problem with us drafting a QB at 4, I'd have a big problem trading up to #1 to do it. (unless the deal was just our #4 and Campbell) I just can't see how there is any merit to this rumor, we can't possibly considering this.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I can only hope Campbell will decline the "tender"

Sincerely,

The Entire Redskins Fanbase

Posted by: sjp879

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!! Drives me nuts when someone on here tries to speak for all the fans.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | February 26, 2010 11:20 AM

Which I don't think is as far-fetched as some here would lead you to believe.

I mean, the guy had a better season than at least 3 Pro-Bowlers in '09...if he gets his QB rating up 4 more points (Shanny's gotta be worth that, right?), he's not a bad bet to be a Pro Bowler in '10.

Probably just opened the door for the crazies like Clifton with this post, but whatever...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

No I don't think there is any merit in the Buffalo B.S.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

zj, thats the typical type of rumor that comes out this time of year, regarding DS...nothing more than throwing crap at the wall to generate hits...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

JC will be a pro bowl QB this year

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:42 AM

This is rubbish.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

You don't think there is any merit in the Buffalo rumors?

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:40 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that rumor is dead..
Not that this is the reason.. But, Bills fans were screaming "NO" to JC, on their Blog Boards. Some were saying.. they'd be better off with Losman coming back.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:42 AM

You of all people shouldn't be against this possibility. So long we don't give up our current pics. I SAY balls to the wall, you were willing to take him at #4 take him #1. what's that value chart say? I sound a little in love don't I. I'm just passionate for a franchise QB, I believe in this bradford kid, sorry.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

======================================

That's what you call setting the bar low...and I love it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

JC will only improve in Shanny system, and improving on 3600+ yards, 20TD 1rush TD and 15 picks sounds and looks pretty good.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Of course Campbell will be the starter here in 2010. Nobody other than Vicc, Vic1, and MrRedskin21 would have thought otherwise.

That is, unless, we get an inordinate offer for him. Not likely.

Have an open competition, give everyone an equal shot, etc. Campbell will win the competition, Colt will be fighting to make the roster with whoever the Redskins decide to draft, and Collins will be the ever steady veteran grasping the back-up slot.

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

Fired Cerrato, hired Allen.

Complete turnover with the coaching staff -- to include a new defensive philosophy.

Yeah, no change. Everything is status quo in Ashburn.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Hold it. No one is calling fo Shanahan to resign or the need for a new coach because JC might come back. no theories on who is pulling Shanahan and Allen's tail to make them keep JC. Where are the real resdskin fans?

Posted by: oknow1 | February 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It means your running the Mother F***ing SWITCH! :)

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!
Posted by: hessone | February 26, 2010 11:41 AM

Excuse me there hessone, but yesterday per the advice of MrRedskin I actually went on record and DEMANDED a better product on the field and in the front office. If that doesn’t fix things in Ashburn I don’t know what will.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Todd Collins will be the first QB gone from the Skins roster.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Where are the real resdskin fans?

Posted by: oknow1 | February 26, 2010 11:54 AM

Supporting the current starting QB and the new regime that is firmly entrenched in the honeymoon stage...

Get on board or get out.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This is definitely the kiss of death. As soon as the team starts talking about keeping players, it's a sure sign that they are going to trade them. They just want JC to sign the tender, see if there's any interest out there, and then they'll pay him and trade him. Book it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

But alas, yet another system for JC17 which means another lack luster performance. I see comparisons thru out the NFL. JC17 stayed in the Gibbs system he'd be fine. But as fate has it, he's damaged goods. P Ramsey wasn't put thru what jason has had to endure both physically and emotionally. DAMAGED GOODS, also thow in David Carr as another example. Throw in Tim couch just give it up already.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Love the Skins and always will , win or lose.
JC will be an improved QB behind an improved o-line. I Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 11:55 AM
------------------------------------------
You forgot to add, "Don't make me come down there!" when you demanded a better product. These kids sometimes don't listen.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

K-GOLSTON's too small for the 4-3, and although he plays with heart, I'm not seeing him as our nose tackle in a 3-4 at all.

ANTHONY MONTGOMERY has the size, but his motor hasn't exploded yet in burgandy and gold, and I think the new coaches might be tired of holding their collective breath where he is concerned.

LORENZO ALEXANDER is also a solid player and improving, but I don't think he's the man for the nose tackle position. He could be the retainee however due to his upside and his motor, which I like very much.

GRIFFIN's too old for that kind of beating. Early on as a REDSKIN, he was the nose tackle in essence because he could play that way, and we all saw how many double and triple teams he beat-down. But these past two injuries and his age have caught up with him. Maybe he can back-up there, but he couldn't be the every down tackle we need for that position.

BIG AL? Maybe he finally gets to earn the monniker MONEYSWORTH. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

A trade of HAYNESWORTH for an extra pick in the first, or early second might net a rookie who could play there, but to be immediately effective a veteran presence is called for.

Lots of options. Ve-r-r-y interesting.

Backing the d-line now takes on added significance, but fortunately some very good LB's are UFA's this year starting with KARLOS DANSBY.

So, resign McINTOSH and ink DANSBY would be one option.

Offering ROCKY, then matching any best offer and having him leave would net a pick of some sort, maybe a middle rounder. If we then sign another UFA to take his place that gives us a rookie for some other part of the club or......

Also very interesting. We could then take a shot at a RFA FS like COLLINS with the pick for the rights if it's strong enough.

Let's sign HUNTER SMITH please. I want to have a punting game this year even if MIKE SELLERS is on the special teams squad again.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Shanahan picking up a quarterback in free agency, a trade might be possible, but who?

So if there will be competition at QB that basically means he's going to draft one.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Shanny had it teed up to make some nice noises about JC being his man, and politely passed. Competition: code for "JC needs to get to wrok and convince me he is worthy of starting". This does nothing to change the opinion of many that Bradford/Clausen are getting serious consideration.

FA will tell the tale...

And has Samuels actually retired yet? I'm definitely in the get an OT camp... but NOTHING will shock me.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 9:10 AM

Do you only read your own posts. I posted the Schefter article last night. Schefter admitted that he hasn’t spoke to ANYONE from the Rams organization. The Rams are interesting in trading down, I’m pretty sure you will hear the Rams are targeting these 5 players Bradford, Suh, McCoy (DT), Berry, & Clausen. This only strengthens their ability to trade down.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

THE RUMOR WAS NOT A REAL RUMOR! IT WAS STARTED ON THE EFFING BILLS BLOG!

Now thats out of my system. There was no merit what so ever to that rumor, supposedly here is what happened.

Some Bills fan put on a blog: Should we trade for Jason Campbell?
Some Skins fan called 980 and said, I saw a think on a blog about trading Campbell to the Bills.
ESPN 980 blew it up based off a phone call claiming it was a valid rumor.

Matt Moesly called up a source with the skins who said no chance to it.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

We need to sign Hunter the Punter

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

It means you're running 3 down lineman with 1 LB standing at the line.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!
Posted by: hessone

Classic case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some folks will never be satisfied.

Posted by: dcwun | February 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Beans-

Gallery's arms measured 32 in
Bulgua arms measured 33 1/4 in

Scouts are looking for at least 33 in to be an OT.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Please get rid of this d bag!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"As soon as the team starts talking about keeping players, it's a sure sign that they are going to trade them."

Ah yes, the world of conspiracy theories.

Jerry Jones has repeatedly expressed his desire to keep Miles Austin. Look for him to be a Redskin next season.

For the 3rd straight year, the Arizona Cardinals expressed their desire to keep Anquan Boldin, and for the 3rd straight year, look for him to be traded to the Arizona Cardinals.

The Patriots are yet again expressing their interest in retaining Vince Wilfork, even placing the franchise tag on him. Look for Wilfork to be dealt within the next month.

And the Panthers have privately expressed their disinterest in keeping Julius Peppers around, declining to place the franchise tag on him. Look for Peppers in a Panthers uniform next season.

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:42 AM

Almost sounds like some of those PFT rumors that get posted up here from time to time...

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I love every teams blatant vagueness during the offseason. I know, how can one become blatantly vague? It's out there, and it comes to fruition every f***ing offseason. So frustrating!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Even if we do draft A QB at #4( which I hope to god that we don't) they will be riding the bench behind JC.
Why waste a #4 pick!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Saw these measurables on NFL webpage on these QB's. I thought one of the issues with Bradford was supposed to be how skinny he was.

Sam Bradford: 6-foot-4 1/4, 236 pounds, 34 3/8-inch arm length, 9 1/2-inch hand span

Jimmy Clausen: 6-foot-2 5/8, 222 pounds, 30 3/4-inch arm length, 9-inch hand span

Colt McCoy: 6-foot-1 1/8, 216 pounds, 31-inch arm length, 9 3/8-inch hand span

Tim Tebow: 6-foot-2 3/4, 236 pounds, 31 3/4-inch arm length, 10 1/8-inch hand span

I starting to think more and more if he knocks out his pro day and the doctors clear his shoulder that St Louis ends up taking him #1. Hopefully the Skins won't be foolish enough to reach for Clausen at #4

Posted by: moseley_brian | February 26, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

That is, unless, we get an inordinate offer for him. Not likely.

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 11:52 AM
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Campbell will always win Preseason competition. Anyone who knows the game, knows that Preseason speed is about Div 1 College speed. Its why the Marcus Masons, and Billy Mc Mullens overachieve in Preseason.. But disappear thereafter.

Campbell's slow Release and Read is perfect for Div 1 or PreSeason speed.. The problem is when true NFL speed starts (when the players are actually getting paid) with the regular season. Those DB gaps close about twice as fast on Campbell.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 12:00 PM

Always fun to read your posts.

There are 2 NT candidates on this roster.
1. Monty- doesn't have the motor, work ethic, and has been a chronic underachiever. Better as a backup.
2. Haynie- If he hated Blache's scheme, he would quit on the team if he was asked to play NT. He would be a dominant DE in a 3-4 for his 20 -25 plays per/game.

Alexander would be a nice backup @ DE, but is not a NT.

Golston & Griff are exclusively 3 technique DTs in a 4-3. They are very expendable and don’t fit the 3-4.

Need to add another NT.
Justin Bannon UFA Ravens
Terrance “Twin Mounts” Cody 2nd round possibility

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

curz, what the bleep is that supposed to mean.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Why waste a #4 pick!

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:14 PM

You have more success haveing your hand picked QB of the future sit a year and ideally 2yrs to be groomed and ready. The packers aaron rodgers comes to mind. I think Eli and P Rivers both sat a year, and C Palmer sat a year behind kitna.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"On defense: Shanahan says the team will use 3-4 defense but will use four-man front. He expects the defensive linemen to be very versatile"

Sooo, you're saying the 'skins will revolutionize the game and use a base 4-4 defense?
Hope our corners can cover!

Posted by: jgarrisn | February 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Neither of the QB are franchise QB's ,a huge wasted pick.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

From Hogs Haven:

Player Profiles for Offensive Linemen Redskins Interviewed at Combine

Superbowl_tiny by KevinE on Feb 26, 2010 8:19 AM EST in Analysis Comment 26 comments

Based on a variety of tweets I was able to piece together some of the OL the Redskins interviewed yesterday. All of them ran zone blocking schemes in college. I should first mention that the Redskins have started negotiations with Casey Rabach. Casey said, "If the right deal is in place, there's no reason to hit the open market."

Ed Wang | OT | Virginia Tech

6'5 - 315 lbs - Senior
Projected Round: 4-5
-------------------------
Zane Beadles | OG | Utah

6'5 - 307 lbs
Projected Round: 5
-----------------------
Russell Okung | OT | Oklahoma State

6'5" - 310 lbs

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell takes the first snap of the Redskins' first regular season game in 2010... book it.

The only question is whether the league schedules that game at New York again, offering us up as a sacrificial lamb as the Jints open their new stadium in the swamp. Guessing they'll want to slurp NYC and reward the new stadium with a prime time slot...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Coach Szovati's 2010 Redskin Draft:

mid to low 1st: OT Bruce Campbell, 2nd: HB Ryan Mathews/Anthony Dixon, 2nd: OT Vladimir Ducasse, 3rd: OG Mike Johnson, 4th: LB A.J. Edds, 5th FB Rashawn Jackson, 7th: C Eric Alsen/ John Estes.

I opt to trade out of the 4th overall pick since someone like Al Davis is willing to give me a lower 1st, 2nd And 3rd/4th. We can fill alot more needs with the extra picks.
Drafting offensive lineman is never an exciting draft but it HAS to be done to set us up for the future. we my not agree on the names but we need at least 3 offensive Linemen to come from this draft.

Posted by: lszovati | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Those QB's you name were rated so much higher then either of these 2 bumbs

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 26, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Should not suprise a single person here if the Rams Pick a QB #1.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Also, after sween's paean to pecans yesterday (I pronounce it "pee-KAHN") I grabbed some in the bulk aisle. They're good, but they're not cashew good. Man, I do love me some cashews.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If a qb is better than JC, wouldn't they perform better given the same conditions?

Help me out, I've never heard this game-speed theory as to why JC wins the qb job in preseason.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

greg, some hamsters just like to stir the pot and will make stuff up...

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

psps23,
That's not conspiracy theory - that's how it works. Do you think they would tell Campbell they were going to trade him before he signed his tender? No. "No, everything is alright Jason. You're our man Jason. Just sign here on the dotted line Jason."

Allen and Shanahan are a few brain cells heavier than Vinny and Zorn, so they won't monkey with the guy's head telling him he's about to be traded, because if the deal falls through, you have the same mess that you had last year. This relationship you will be all "I love you, you love me" right up until the moment JC gets traded. It is going to happen. Book it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, I just miswrote that phonetic spelling. It looked right, but then I went through it again in my head and it's not right. I pronounce the word "pecan" as "puh-KAHN."

Something L-S said yesterday about a pee can got lodged in my brain, as such things are wont to do, and affected my first stab.

Still thinking about boiled peanuts, too, but I think I'd have to make those myself if I wanted some. I've yet to encounter a purveyor of boiled peanuts in these parts...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Hope our corners can cover!

Posted by: jgarrisn | February 26, 2010 12:24 PM

NO...this means that Orakpo will be a primary standup pass rusher. Haslett said he wanted to double Orakpo's pass rushing totals.

This will allow Orakpo to line up in different locations across the line to created mismatches. Clearly Orakpo’s strengths are rushing the passer and not in coverage. Playing to a players strengths is nothing new for NFL caliber HC/DC but is certainly new to DC.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Also, for what it's worth, I *heart* The Cindy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hope our corners can cover!

Posted by: jgarrisn | February 26, 2010 12:24 PM
------------------------------------------
I take this as sometimes the fourth linebacker will put his knuckles in the dirt, and sometimes he won't.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lszovati

This is still stupid. Do you realized Oakland does not have a lower first? And that we're not getting a 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd for #4?

Yes, everyone would like to trade down, but we have to be reasonable about it.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 26, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:30 PM
------------------------------------------
Nate, not to be critical, but you seem to have a nut fetish going there.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have all 3 of those guys.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

#1 Russell Okung
#2 Jahvid Best
#4 Zane Beadles
#5 Ed Wang
#7 Kyle Williams

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have all 3 of those guys.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

#1 Russell Okung
#2 Jahvid Best
#4 Zane Beadles
#5 Ed Wang
#7 Kyle Williams

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 12:38 PM
------------------------------------------
That's the kind of draft the Redskins need. Even CP could run behind that group...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 12:25 PM

They also interviewed Bruce Campbell. He has Raiders @ 8 written all over him. He is easily the most physically gifted OT and is going to have a monster combine. If it wasn't for his injury history, he would be talked about going ahead of Okung.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

so it appears the people who want to get rid of Campbell are just wrong. Did I say just wrong? Strike that, they're wrong, stubborn, ans not very observant.

Zorn wanted to cut Brennan too, you suckers.

Lovin it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Collinsworth said the same thing during the Giants game when Collins came in for the last 4 plays of the 1st Half and took the Skins nearly 60 yards into the Giants end zone where Fred Davis dropped an easy TD pass...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:28 AM

Right, and no one *ever* dropped one of JC17's passes... but if they did, it was his fault!

Posted by: Alan4 | February 26, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:28 PM

cashew nuts = Chinese food (yum)
pecans = pie (yummier)

No one's ever ordered a slice of cashew pie and no one's ever ordered #27 General Tsao's minced chicken w/- pecans Szechwan style.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

curz, wont lie....the accusations hurt....you're not the first, nor the last....I simply copy, and paste what I see on PFT....then have my character questioned......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Do you think they would tell Campbell they were going to trade him before he signed his tender?"

Yes, actually. They would tell him that he's free to find suitors for a trade. This happens all the time. It's called being placed on the trading block. It's exactly what Mike Shanahan told Clinton Portis the summer he was dealt to the Redskins. The Redskins don't need Campbell's consent to tender his rights. And Campbell will not sign his tender until AFTER free agency, when he has the opportunity to shop his name around anyway.

Regardless, Campbell HAS to be informed of a trade prior to it happening (should there be one) because no team is going to deal for him without getting a new contract in place first, even if it was as low as a 4th round pick (and his price will most certainly be higher). There isn't a shot in hell that Campbell gets blindsided by a trade from the Redskins.

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

L-S, I'm just talking about the nuts themselves. Raw pecans vs. raw cashews, I'm taking cashews every time. You get into roasted and candied and such as, the balance tilts dramatically toward pecans.

And don't even get me started on pecan pie. One of the most difficult decisions I face in life is, having gorged myself on BBQ or soul food or whatever, deciding whether to have a slice of pecan pie or a slice of sweet potato pie, if the establishment offers both. Probably 85% of the time I'm picking pecan in that scenario, but by golly I do love sweet potato pie.

RedSkinHead, an obsession with nuts... you say that like it's a bad thing.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 26, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Devaney takes a playful jab at "Dr. Schefter"

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010 12:01 PM ET

One of the hot topics at the Scouting Combine has become the bold proclamation from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Rams will draft quarterback Sam Bradford with the first overall selection on April 22.

So Rams G.M. Billy Devaney was asked about the situation on Friday, and he had a little fun with the topic.

"That took a lot of pressure off of us right away because Dr. Schefter cleared him medically," Devaney said, via our own Gregg Rosenthal, who has taken his shine box to Indy for the weekend. "We feel really good about the health status of Sam Bradford with Dr. Schefter giving him a clean bill of health and guaranteeing our pick. So we're on to the second round."

Though some might think it's in the Rams' interests to show interest in Bradford in the hopes of perhaps finagling a trade out of the top spot with one of the other quarterback-needy teams, there's another important angle to keep in mind here.

If the Rams really want Bradford, they might need to act like they don't.

The Rams surely would like to get the top pick under contract before calling out his name on April 22. If Bradford thinks he's definitely the guy, Bradford's agent will want even more money.

So the best move is to keep everyone guessing -- media, other teams, and most importantly the Bradford camp.

That said, Schefter might be onto something with the Sam-to-St.-Louis theory. Our pal Lance Zierlein of KGOW in Houston has been touting the pick for at least a month, and Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com has recently made the case for Bradford in blue and gold, too.

Also, a league source says that Schefter and the others "very well could be right." Many viewed Bradford as the best player in the 2009 draft, and his shoulder injury isn't nearly as bad as Drew Brees' from four years ago.

Said the source: "If [Bradford] gets by the doctors [at the Combine] then he very well could be good to go. The medical staffs will know the stability of the shoulder [Friday] but I'm sure some teams will order an MRI and the result of that might not be known for a few days. St. Louis does not have a quarterback, so with the value of the position being what it is, a clean bill of health could very well equal the first pick."

So stay tuned. Bradford very well could be the first overall pick. Unless he isn't

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 12:48 PM

No, we question your integrity. We all agree you're a character. In the good way, of course.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Obviously JC was going to be tendered.

What I find interesting is the supposed next line.

"We expect Jason Campbell to be with the team."

What kind of non-committal commitment is that? That's as big a confidence-lacking vote of confidence that I've ever heard about a player.

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From what I have been reading, JC and his agent want a 2 year deal or to be traded....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Nate -- I'm not a big fan of cashews, but they do reach their glory in Trader Joe's Lime & Chili Cashews.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

What I find interesting is the supposed next line.

"We expect Jason Campbell to be with the team."

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 12:58 PM

Actually p1funk, you should have kept reading. THIS is as big a confidence-lacking vote of confidence that I've ever heard about a player:

"Let's not talk about Clinton. Let's talk about the whole team."

Posted by: Alan4 | February 26, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"Let's not talk about Clinton. Let's talk about the whole team."

Posted by: Alan4 | February 26, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

That's just plain old lack of confidence...

Posted by: p1funk | February 26, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Campbell really isn't in a position to make demands like that. This team is going to stink this year with or without him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 12:51 PM

It's in the team's interest to tell him so that his agent will be making calls and selling the guy. Team still has to make calls on its own to make sure that they're getting the best deal for the team, not for the player.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

mark my words the skins will go no where fast with JC 17 at the QB postion lol.

Posted by: iboost | February 26, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 1:09 PM

If another team that makes an offer on Campbell as an RFA, then Campbell can get a 2-year deal -- or longer.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Team still has to make calls on its own to make sure that they're getting the best deal for the team, not for the player.

Posted by: League-Source"

Well clearly. That's why both parties have to be informed. They have to be on the same page because (1) the team has to make sure they're getting value for the player, and (2) the player has to agree to go to the proposed destination before a trade can even take place. Campbell has as much power in this situation as the Redskins do. You can't trade a player until he is under contract, Campbell isn't under contract until he signs the tender (or gets resigned to a different deal), and no team is going to trade for Campbell unless he negotiates a contract first.

Posted by: psps23 | February 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. With a rebuilt oline, and a good addition at running back (drafted or signed) even if JC is the QB the team won't stink. It'll just be that much better if he's gone.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Why should the Redskins sign JC17 to a two-year contract when they could have him for the next ten by throwing in a ham sandwich and free toaster?

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to pack your lunch, Muggerlunch.

Posted by: OG_Barno | February 26, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Redskins trade down with I don't know who but someone will be trying to move up but redskins draft anthony Davis tackle out of rutgers he can play left or right tackle second round draft jahavid best if hes there to draft and with the 1st round trade they also got a 3rd round redskins draft tim tebow he's the perfect shannahan guy and for you tebow haters out there remember this tebow is a winner and no one will work harder than him so no Clinton portis attitude there he's a leader and a steal in the 3rd round maybe even second round

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: Superman321 | February 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

A 3-4 with a 4 man front. I tell you, Shanahan is one creative guy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

why do people expect "coach speak" to ever change? If our coach started showing our hand we'd all be upset, and yet some of you are upset that he ISN'T showing his hand, and..... That's what he supposed to do, duh!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:28 AM

Posted by: Alan4 | February 26, 2010 12:45 PM
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]]
Didnt say Davis dropping the ball was anyones fault but Davis?
Just that, as Collinsworth said on ESPN, the team responds better to Collins as QB. And most people that were sober at the game, saw that too. By the way, I was there.. A kid at the 45 yard line in the stands actually caught JC's screen pass. The one that the refs thought was intentional but had the penalty over-ruled as just an overthrown pass because no one was pressuring Jason when he threw it.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

From McShay:

Texas QB Colt McCoy came in at 6-1⅛, 216 pounds. This was not surprising, but he was hoping to come in closer to 6-2.

We will continue to give updates from the NFL combine throughout the day, so keep checking back.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So let me get this straight, he didn't know how tall he was before today? I hope to god we don't draft him, he might forget down and distance on a pivotal drive in the second half of a division road game and audible to inside run on 3rd 8 directly into the blitz......which would really stink.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

A 3-4 with a 4 man front. I tell you, Shanahan is one creative guy.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Why is this so hard to understand? One LB (probably Rak) will be a stand up rusher at the line. Not that difficult.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

we trade down multiple times and end up with 32 7th round picks, we draft 10 qbs, 10 rbs, and 11 OLs and change our name to the lambskins.

Another winner: Charlie ward and he was a great pro.... Basketball player

We had the worst line in the league, no brainer.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Superman321 | February 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Davis has poor lateral movement and has been exposed because of it. He isn't a fit at all at left tackle in a ZBS. I'd rather have Okung, Bulaga, Campbell, and Brown over Davis. I'd love to have Davis in the second round as a right tackle though but I don't know if Shanny will take a right tackle that high.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's lukewarm commitment to Campbell says he looking at other options. Campbell may be here because Shanahan has other things that need fixing and the QB may be something he tries to fix next year.

Read an interesting trade rumor. Apparently Bradford is moving up in the eyes of a lot of people. Including the Rams. If Shanahan wants Bradford, he might need to get him at #1 overall. So the rumor is the Rams will offer the #1 overall to the Skins for Campbell and the #4.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 26, 2010 1:36 PM

Does any other team do this? I'm trying to understand what the benifit is to doing that?

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Since the 3-4 will be in vogue with this bunch, it will be interesting to see what moves are made along the d-line, and which current REDSKIN DT's are re-signed. Obviously they will not all be. "

Nice analysis. As far as NT goes, I don't know if you have to be as big as Haloti Ngota to succeed in a 3-4. Suh will probably log some time at the position, depending on who drafts him, and he's not super-big. The guy in Dallas isn't a giant, and he's very effective.

I don't know why we sign Dansby when we have Orakpo and Jarmon. They really have to be thinking about replacing Fletcher. McIntosh could get hurt, of course.

The 3-4 with a 4 man front -- four line up at scrimmage, one drops back at the snap.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan on Portis: "He's our running back"
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 26, 2010 1:29 PM ET
When Mike Shanahan ran the Denver Broncos, he drafted Clinton Portis, coached him to two 1,500-yard rushing seasons, and then traded him to the Washington Redskins.

Now Shanahan runs the Redskins, and he says Portis will remain in Washington.

"He's our running back," Shanahan told Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio.

Portis played only eight games, had a career-low 494 yards and wasn't always the most popular man in the Redskins' locker room last year, and that led to speculation that Portis might not be back with the team for the 2010 season. But Portis's contract may be the biggest factor in keeping him. The Redskins owe Portis $6.43 million guaranteed in 2010 whether he plays for the team or not.

For his part, Shanahan says he has positive memories of Portis.

"I don't go back to what happened the last couple years or listen to differences of opinion. I just know what Clinton did for me," Shanahan said. "I expect him to be in great shape and do everything he can to be the best player. If he does that, I know what type of ability he has. Hopefully, he can help us win."

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's lukewarm commitment to Campbell says he looking at other options.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 1:38 PM |

Well, maybe, but the real tell to me is his statement that he's going to go to QB's Pro Days to watch them throw. I doubt that he's simply scouting them in case we face them next year.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I really liked Carlos Rogers' comments on the defense, however self-serving. Orakpo at linebacker, that was a weird concept. There were probably ten veteran FAs who could have played it better. That was a Blache move I never understood.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

team is going to stink this year with or without him.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 1:09 PM

Way to go with all the positivity!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Point is, he's only 27 now and would only be 37 or 38 at the end of a ten-year contract. Then if you add in a player option to go another three years, and a club option to play him another 5 beyond that, it's not too far out of reach to see JC17 still playing for Redskins in the year 2025 or 2030.

He may still have to play a few more seasons to supplant Sonny as the "QB for Life" of the Redskins -- but we gotta figure that sooner or later, even Sonny will be called to the great pro bowl in the sky.

And statistically speaking, we must know JC17 can only continue to improve -- as he has done over the past five seasons -- while the club at large continues to flouder through a series of losing seasons. And who knows, the Redskins may even post another 8-8 season sometime in the next 15 years -- especially given NFL parity and all.

By that time, the club may also be out from under the lingering after-effects of their resignings of CP26 to a 15 year, 150 million deal in 2011, and AH92 to another $200 million over five years in 2018 -- and finally be able to afford bringing in some real competition for the starting QB position.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Only because the QB draft class overall isn't as talented as in years past to assume a starters role from the outset, combined with the need for beefing up the O-line which is our first priority. Protect whoever stands behind center.

But even in a perfect world, I'd not want Campbell this time around because he's proven to be only a mid-level talent even at his best when he head relatively healthy protection. He's not an aggressive leader on the field, and doesn't have the high football acumen which is required in this league based on the successful QBs who take their teams beyond the first round. It's not all his fault due to the change in leadership, injuries and systems - but the intangibles bother me. We deserve better.

If he sticks around, let's hope money can be allocated to better and more needy draft needs during a two to three year rebuilding process where someone like Bradford could hold the clipboard and learn the traditional way before being thrown to the wolves.

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | February 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM, my point is that you've referenced that Collis-led drive in the Giants game several times as if Collins accomplished something JC17 couldn't. In reality that drive was killed by a dropped pass, which has been common for the Skins mostly forgettable receivers over the past few years.

What do you seem to give so much credit to Collins, discounting that drop? Does JC17 also get credit for drops?

No QB can overcome dropped passes, and a lot of JC17-led drives were also killed by dropped passes (see: Dropped Passes Made Zorn Turn to the Run

Zorn may have had his flaws, but he was right when he told JC17: "Hey there's two opportunities gone. Well, you can't catch the ball for the guy."

Posted by: Alan4 | February 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Can this writer actually come up with an original article? Didn't we read this yesterday about jason may or may not return? Why bother writing yesterdays article when JR probably knew he would get this information for todays article?

Posted by: ged0386 | February 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 1:39 PM

Every 3-4 team. A 3-4 gives you versatility along the line and allows the D to have more athleticism, speed, and provide different looks than a traditional 4-3.

Orakpo would play role similar to that of Ware & Harrison. They primarily rush and occasionally drop back in coverage.

Also Dansby would play inside in a 3-4 with Orakpo and Carter/Gatewood/Wilson playing the other OLB.

Jarmon is a DE in a 3-4, not a OLB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure its the way Baltimore uses Suggs, the Dolphins use Taylor, and the way the Cowboys use Ware. Essentially its a 3-3 with a roving rusher. 3 down lineman like a 3-4, three legit linebackers, and a rushing backer that can rush from anywhere and rushes 95% of the time. From Haslett's interview that's the impression I got of how he plans to use Orakpo.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 12:48 PM
------------------------------------------
Maybe you need a better source than PFT. Have you ever considered copying and pasting Jason La Caca's comments? I am sure this will improve your credibility.

BTW, ponder this gem. Campbell gets his contract before the draft, all is good for him, and then Washington drafts a QB. Does Campbell:

a) Pout about it publicly?
b) Demand a trade?
c) Launch into a tirade about how Shanny lied to him?
d) All of the above

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

INDIANAPOLIS

Clinton Portis isn’t going anywhere in 2010.

Dispelling speculation that the running back may get released, new Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that Portis will return to the team this season.

“He’s our running back,” Shanahan told me and co-host Gil Brandt during a Friday appearance on Sirius NFL Radio at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Portis’ future with the Redskins came into question shortly after Shanahan became Washington’s head coach in early January. The 29-year-old Portis was limited to 484 yards and eight games last year because of injuries, including a season-ending concussion in November that he is still recovering from. There were also off-field issues. Portis had blowups with two teammates (quarterback Jason Campbell and fullback Mike Sellers) and came under question himself for his work ethic.

Shanahan, though, has a familiarity with Portis that dates to the two seasons they spent together in Denver. Portis rushed for 3,099 yards and 29 touchdowns during the 2002 and 2003 seasons before being traded to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey. The deal stemmed largely from Portis’ salary demands.

“I don’t go back to what happened the last couple years or listen to differences of opinion. I just know what Clinton did for me,” Shanahan said. “I expect him to be in great shape and do everything he can to be the best player. If he does that, I know what type of ability he has. Hopefully, he can help us win.”

The Redskins wouldn’t receive much of a break financially by releasing Portis. All but $800,000 of his $7.2 million base salary in 2010 is guaranteed.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

First I love the respect and the gamesmenship by the coach. Class act great to finally have someone in control. For you Campbell haters and arm chair QB's didnt see that one coming did ya.
On the positive side 2008 season remember 6-2 solid line remember reading the post then didn't see all the haters then.
2010 season unless someone sees the value in JC and meets the offer, first 8 games 5-3 second eight 5-3 tie NFC east tie breaker toss up = playoffs. Shanny will make you all believers, but please continue to post your opinions it makes for a better blog.
I think you haters should just sell you season tickets .... if you are really that upset about the Redskins, be you really a fans or just pretenders.

Hail to the skin and the new creation of the Hogs II

lifelongDiehardskinsfan living in Texas born and breed 2nd & S NW DC

Posted by: MPWTIAN | February 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

As expected the Skins have tried to trade Campbell but the can of sardines they are asking is too high of a price.

Posted by: nimes1 | February 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse
I like it. With AH playing at the end position, that line could be dangerous.

They were a bright spot on an abysmal team last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

1) Cashew
&) Almond
Z) Pistachio
+) Okung
@) Pecan

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

shanahan, has begun the process of putting his foot up the backside of CP..."I expect him to be in great shape"....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Diesel44 and zjfr2.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 1:26 PM

=====================

No kidding...or else they here the same coach speak and get all excited they dirty their shorts.

See this post:

===================

Zorn wanted to cut Brennan too, you suckers.

Lovin it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 12:43 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the skin and the new creation of the Hogs II

lifelongDiehardskinsfan living in Texas born and breed 2nd & S NW DC

Posted by: MPWTIAN | February 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Never seen you on here, but I like you. Most posters say, "We're gonna have a horrible season next year, 4-12 again."

Glad to see some optimism.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is smart enough not to alienate the guy who will likely be his starter this year. A more likely scenario is the Skins draft a top-flight LT like Okung or Bruce Davis in the 1st round (even possibly trading down and drafting the later). A QB prospect like McCoy or Pike will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round. Unless Bradford was 100% healthy, I can't see the Redskins using the No. 4 pick on him.

After selecting a LT in the 1st round, the Skins still have multiple holes to fill on the O-Line including RG and RT. I could see the Redskins selecting another player in the 4th or 5th round who could potentially beat out Rinhart to start next year. Without a decent O-Line, any QB will be killed on this team, whether its JC or a guy we pick No. 1.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM
____________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 12:28 PM
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
Portispock writes..
"So if Colt Brennan looks bad against pre-season speed, he will magically look good during the regular season?"

wtf?? I am not sure what you mean by this statement?? If Colt looks bad in the preseason he will probably look alot worse during the regular season games.
Marcus Mason looked like an all-pro RB during the preseason games.. But, given the ball during real "game speed" conditions in the regular season... He looked like he had cement cleats on.
And for the same reason, Jason looks probowl bound when he lights it up during the preseason, for just a couple of series..... Then he becomes a below average QB in the regular season.

I played the game (college not pros) as I am sure alot of people on this Board have. Preseason speed versus regular season "game speed" is discernible..

It will never happen, but the NFLPA should ask for a reduction or outright cancellation of Preseason games..
The games are just glorified scrimmages that risk injuries to the players unnecessarily. Existing only for the owners who rake in pure revenue.. no overhead salaries to pay the players. All profits (other than stadium staffing).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Skins trade Campbell and the #4 pick to the Rams to get Suh? If we go 3-4, why not get the best NT talent?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09
___
You know what would also be funny, but also as likely, that a UFO landed in the FEDEX parking lot and the first game Martians saw was a Redskin game...

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

From McShay:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 1:30 PM

Jack, he still has his pro day, so maybe making 6"2" is still possible...

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Didn't read up the posts but how valid are the rumors Campbell to Buffalo for Dante Whitner and a draft pick?

Posted by: joeboggs | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Leaf was a party animal that didn't study. Apparently he came into his opening press conference in San Diego slightly hung over from a night in Vegas. Jimmy might have a little party in him but word on the street is that he's a film rat that spends hours on end studying.

This is also opposed to his fellow ND alum who apparently devotes most of his time to using the weight room and keeping his bodyfat under 6%.

This draft reminds of 2004 minus Big Ben. Bradford is more like Eli Manning, with seemingly limited upside but generally considered a safe pick assuming he checks out medically (which he will). Clausen seems more like Phillip Rivers from the brashness to the three quarter release. Personally I think we'll do fine with either one.

Also remember Rivers was considered a prospect to drop in the first round prior to the 2004 draft it wasn't until the few weeks leading up to the draft that people started to talk about him as top 5 material.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 26, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

____
Yeah like what was he suppose to say.. That he expects Campbell to be the waterboy this year??? What Reid misses is the "lot of competition at the QB poistion" that's a far cry from Zorn's Campbell is my starter statement when he was made head coach. Sounds to me like Shanahan is not close to sold on Campbell.

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

That's because he's going to get paid to play for the Skins...
__________________________

Texans don't sound optimistic about retaining Walter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 26, 2010 1:47 PM ET

Texans G.M. Rick Smith said he spoke with wide receiver Kevin Walter's agent Thursday night, but he didn't sound overly optimistic about retaining him.

"Kevin is a big part of our team. We would like to have Kevin back. We have articulated that to him as recently as last night," Smith said.

We asked about Walter because he's one of the better young (29) starters about to hit free agency. He provides an alternative to teams that don't want Terrell Owens or Antonio Bryant.

"We're trying to see if we can retain him, but the unfortunate part of free agency is you can't keep everybody," Smith said. "When you talk about putting your team together, you have to make tough decisions, and sometimes you have to let players go you otherwise wouldn't want to."

Our G.M. Translator says: "The guy is a week away from free agency. We like him, but not enough. It's going to be almost impossible to keep him at a reasonable price and we have Jacoby Jones behind him ready to become a starter."

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

You said

"Campbell will always win Preseason competition"

-I took this to mean you think JC will always win a QB competition in Preseason.

Maybe you meant something different?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Would like to see Campbell get a shot at being the QB again. With a stabel O-Line, he may do well

Posted by: CheyenneWY | February 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

it appears that the people who wanted to cut Portis are just wrong. Did I say just wrong? Strike that, they're wrong, stubborn, and not very observant.

Lovin it even more

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

a) Pout about it publicly?
b) Demand a trade?
c) Launch into a tirade about how Shanny lied to him?
d) All of the above

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 1:53 PM
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Alex..er Redskinhead, I'll take all of the above.
Last year Snyder was just sniffin Sanchez but no team would trade a "better than 3rd round pick" for Campbell.
And Campbell and Segal responded by threatening a trade request...according to NFL.com, ESPN, and WashPOst.
I agree with Jason. He should not have to compete for his job as a former 1st round pick...... bahwahh...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Put me down for not being thrilled about the change to a 3-4.

Shanahan has plenty of issues to address, the defensive front 7 was perhaps the strongest area on the team.

He'll have to invest resources into going 3-4, and his resources (picks, trades, FA) are limited. Which will take away from his ability to invest in areas with greater need.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM

Because Suh or even for arguments sake, McCoy are not NTs. They would be 3-4 DEs or 3 tech in a 4-3. The highest rated NT is Cody and he could be available in the 2nd rd..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Just WOW!!!

Clausen has been compared to Phillip Rivers?!?!?!?!!!?

Give me a friggin break!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Zorn wanted to cut Brennan too, you suckers.

Lovin it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 26, 2010 12:43 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 1:59 PM
=====================

YES! You JC haters are "not very observant"! Five years of outstanding play ... -huh? Yes please give me another triple scotch and vodka.

Posted by: hock1 | February 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Moments after signing JC17 to a 20 year deal for the league minimum salary, a free toaster and a ham sandwich, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) scheduled a protest rally this afternoon at FEDEX Field.

According to a PETA spokesman, the Washington Redskins showed reckless insensitivity to pork-lovers everywhere by tossing a ham sandwich into the deal -- and clearly abused the remains of a formerly living and loving creature simply to sustain the Redskins' decade-long and continuing losing record under team owner Dan Snidely.

Snidely responded that he welcomes the opportunity for his lawyers to meet these "meddlesome little biddies" in court, while also promising "swift vengeance and retribution" to any protestor who wears or displays anything that calls into question the team owner;s wisdom, stature or commitment to winning.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
what would be really funny is if figure skating was considered a competitive sport in the Olympics...

yep..both are just as wrong.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Jack, he still has his pro day, so maybe making 6"2" is still possible...

Posted by: Curzon417 | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM

Good one, Curzon. It's a lot easier on your own field with your own receivers, plus an hour and a half of yoga before the measure-up. "Is Ed 'Too-Tall' Jones too tall?"

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Or, both are as equally hard to believe.....

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Fresh from ESPN.
Redskins and Colts working on a trade that will send QB Campbell and their first round pick to the Colts in exchange for QB Jim Sorgi. Sources said that the Colts are holding out until the Skins take Campbell out of the deal.

Posted by: hock1 | February 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Jim - that sums up JC17 in a nutshell.
=======================================

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | February 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDXskin | February 26, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Fresh from ESPN.

Posted by: hock1 | February 26, 2010 2:29 PM |

I'd rather go for Kolb but sure, Sorgi's the man.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

traded his malcontent self once before, he'll have no problem doing it again especially since CP is older and slower

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | February 26, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Which reminds me, is St. Elizabeths Hospital still operating in the District?

Posted by: hock1 | February 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You know yesterday Reid got everyone's hopes up saying Campbell could be traded to the Bills.. but now he writes this??? What happened to the rumor??? Pretty rotten of Reid to treat his readers this way..

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan expects a lot of competition at the quarterback position" means Campbell is as good as toast.

See Ya Jason Clownble...it's been nice, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...

Posted by: dc1020008 | February 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I believe Campbell would be a better QB today if Zorn had forced him to compete. I hope Bradford drops to #4 so he can compete to be the Redskins QB.

I wonder if an offensively-oriented coach like Shanahan really wants his QB to be "part of the team"? QB's are typically expected to have a more significant role than that aren't they??

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Campbell will be back...though I didn't doubt he would be. I still believe he can be a pro bowl QB in this league if provided with a steady offensive line. I hope he's here for the next 7 or 8 years.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to pack your lunch, Muggerlunch.

Posted by: OG_Barno | February 26, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Good to see you OG_Barno, thanks for holding down the fort for me on here. Hopefully you haven't been posting racist crap again on here like you did last year.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 26, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It means your running the Mother F***ing SWITCH! :)

Posted by: alex35332 | February 26, 2010 11:55 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

it means orakpo will be a freelance player!!! much like what the chiefs used to do with derek thomas or the g-men did with the real lt!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 26, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse