Shanahan: Portis dropped unhit to prevent fumble

At the end of his longest rush of the season, late in the first quarter during the St. Louis Rams' 30-16 victory over the Redskins Sunday, Clinton Portis went down without being hit.

Portis, whose 2009 season was cut short after he suffered a concussion in Week 9, appeared to simply give up on the play after rushing for 27 yards. Television replays showed Portis looked to see where a Rams' defensive player was positioned before dropping to the turf.

The strange move surprised Coach Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan spoke with Portis about what occurred.

Heavily involved in the game plan in the first half, Portis rushed for 45 yards with a 7.5-yard average before halftime. He had only one carry in the second half.

The Redskins trailed for most of the final two quarters and abandoned the running game, which was effective for the first time in three games, in a failed attempt to rally. They gained one net yard rushing after halftime. "We didn't run the ball as much in the second half as we would have liked," Shanahan said. "I thought we were very effective in the first half."

After the game, Shanahan said the plan was for Portis to play on third downs and obvious passing downs and for Ryan Torain, who was activated from the practice squad Saturday, to often play on first and second downs. But was that the plan before Portis avoided contact on his long run?

For what it's worth, Portis after the game said he was fine.

By Jason Reid  | September 27, 2010; 4:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan: Wanted to run more in second half
Next: Punting auditions scheduled for Tuesday

Comments

Either way, we lost to a bad team, a bad team we couldnt score touchdowns on AGAIN.

/sadface

Posted by: KCskinfan | September 27, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I belive Portis. this guy has defined toughness for almost 6 seasons now. He throws crushing blocks and absorbs allot of hits to protect his teammates.. anyone who says otherwise hasnt been watching much since 2004.

Posted by: sott1 | September 27, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis has been running like that for a few years now, falling all over himself. im tired of his running style, he couldve got atleast 10 more yards on that run. Have we cut Andre Carter yet? if not when?

Posted by: lincolnhomes | September 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Sit a productive player abandoned the run and lose to the worst f'in team in the league.

Way to go Choppers! Your and offensive genius!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Sott1, agree whole heartedly.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain will get most of the carried next week...

The Clinton Portis era is coming to an end...
He will remain on the roster getting some carries, but his primary role will be to help w/ pass blocking and CP will be cut in the off season.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 27, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Lincoln homes, hasn't been watching since 2004

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see the endgame here.

Shanahan is not here for a 5 year rebuilding process. But even to get to next year, we need new RB, MLB, 2 WR, 2 OL, and that is just to be 4-12 again.

Meanwhile we are already missing draft picks in round 3 and 4 next year. So how will we get all these players? More high-priced free agents?

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2 | September 27, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Lincoln homes, hasn't been watching since 2004

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

A sad note:

Quarterback George Blanda Dies at 83

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis could have gotten well more than 10 yards on that run. He could have gotten 10 more yards simply by running until he was brought down. If he accelerated into open space once he hit the cutback rather than slowing down looking for defenders around him, he could have taken it to the house. There's no viable excuse for his actions on that play.

It's clear Shanahan is serious about being healthy and playing to your fullest. If you can't finish a run because you're afraid you'll fumble, then he shouldn't have been in the game.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Zorn skins the 2 top priorities next year, IMO, are O line and O line. Sound familiar? Mcnabb big splash, zornahan big splash, 3-4 switch big splash. O line neglected once again

Trent was a good pick but 1 guy replacing Samuels does not a line upgrade

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Trent was a good pick but 1 guy replacing Samuels does not a line upgrade

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 27, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hicks and Brown

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2 | September 27, 2010 4:31 PM

The early results. Gotta get a legit NT or this defense will never work. Gotta get another OLB or this defense will never work. As we've seen the Shanny''s are able to scheme up a decent offense with this rag tag group. Haslett..not so much.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2 | September 27, 2010 4:31 PM

Not all free agents are high-priced. But if you want to get new players, without draft picks, you've either got to trade or hire free agents.

Priorities in rounds 1 and 2? Dude, we've played three games and we haven't gone through free agency yet. This is like my five-year old asking "What should I name my children when I grow up, finish college, start my career, and marry?" (I suggested Mistamoe).

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Torain should definitely start against Philly, getting 17-25 carries.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"Ryan Torain will get most of the carried next week..."

His pass protection must improve 1st or teams will get a key that when he is in the game, all he is going to do is run the ball.

But I too would like to see him in extended action.

He reminds me of, well, Ladell Betts for some reason other than the #46.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2 | September 27, 2010 4:31 PM

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

-----

I'd add Center and RB to that grouping as well.

I think the RB can be had in the mid-late rounds, but a dominant NT and a dominant Center are musts for this team, IMO. A serviceable OLB that can support the run and tackle in space would be great. That pick doesn't have to be a home run, though.

Posted by: psps23 | September 27, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories, Clinton.

If I were you, I would also adopt a "mail-it-in" running style designed first and foremost to protect my own health at this stage of my life/career.

You are approaching 30 and the end of your playing days. You have most of your life ahead of you, and you want to enjoy them without being half-crippled.

The concussion in Atlanta was scary, no doubt, and pretty serious, and I'm sure it gave you some perspective on your playing days and overall health.

I understand, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Just don't yap-off and take it personally as you get phased out of the game plans. Be content with being a 3rd down back on passing downs. Besides, the team is going to write you your $6mill check either way.

Please understand the team simply can't afford to feed the ball to you under these circumstances - that is, if you are going to dive on the ground b/c you fear contact.

Peace.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch was talking about CPs hand still bothering him. To question this dude's toughness is ridiculous.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

But I too would like to see him in extended action.

He reminds me of, well, Ladell Betts for some reason other than the #46.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 27, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree his pass pro has to improve. I'm not as excited as most about Torain. I just don't like his running style. When he gets tackled he goes sideways. I want to see what Williams can do once he gets into the flow of the game.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2

O-Line, D line, CB.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Getting Trent back next week will be huge too.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Find me the toughest tough guy you know.

Let me take a bat to his head and give him a concussion that keeps his vision blurry for a month.

Then let's see how your tough guy responds in a room of people swinging around bats.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Torain should definitely start against Philly, getting 17-25 carries.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be tough for Torain to see that many carries, unless he gets much better at blocking this week.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

When the punt was blocked yesterday, who was that on? It looked to me like it was Fred Davis's old spot, but that Williams was manning it. Did anyone see who was responsible for that?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

He reminds me of, well, Ladell Betts for some reason other than the #46.

Posted by: MistaMoe

More like Olandis Gary. Just another journeyman RB.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Dude has an injured arm. Combined w/ the fact that Santana fumbled the previous drive, I can see why he was being more cautious.

Don't think he was running scared, just being overly cautious in a game where the team had already made several mistakes.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 4:49 PM

It looked like K Williams to me too. Dude gave him a great fake

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

What are the two top priorities in rounds 1 and 2 next year?

Posted by: zornskins2

O-Line, D line, CB.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Do we even have a pick in Round 2 next year?

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree that we need something to spark the running game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Find me the toughest tough guy you know.

Posted by: p1funk

Damn near every RB has had a concussion at some point. I don't see any hesitation when he's trying to destroy someone on a block.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Do we even have a pick in Round 2 next year?

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:54 PM

Yeah and the way things are going it's going to be almost in the first round. Good pick to trade down.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's all hope we beat Philly and regain 1st place in the East.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Find me the toughest tough guy you know.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM

I'd respond by pulling out my .45.

Seriously though, how come CP aint chickent to hit blockers coming in after the QB then? As I stated on the last thread, CP's contributions are more sided to blocking than his running.

Guess I got to start saving for a Williams jersey now. 100.00 bucks now?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

OK.

I see members of the Portis Defense Union are out in full-force on this one.

Right. He was doing it for the greater good of the team. Way to take a dive there, Clinton. Bravo. Way to think of the team first. We should add a cool million to the $6mill we are already giving him for making such a heads up play and adpoting such a wily "Fumble-Prevention" running style.

Let me ask a question: Have you ever in your life heard of a running back diving on the ground in the open field b/c he was afraid of losing a fumble if he got hit?

Besides, if his arm really is too injured to secure the ball, then he shouldn't be playing anyways.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree that we need something to spark the running game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:55 PM

It would help going forward if the LG spot is settled.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree that we need something to spark the running game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

not spotting a team 14 pts would be a start.

actually handing the ball to running backs would also help.

The running game was there yesterday. I thought the numbers were more a result of playing catch up most of the game.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The draft is the only way to rebuild a team. You can make minor improvements through free agency but not roster overhauls. You typically over pay for free agents because you are bidding against other teams. There is going to be a cap next year. If McNabb re signs it will be about 10 mil a year. It is going to be tough to significantly change the roster through free agency. Also have to keep in mind that Moss and Brown are free agents. If they play well this year they will probably be re signed for too much money.

NT may be a spot that they can upgrade through free agency. They probably wont use the first rounder on Oline. They have a LT and it does not really make sense to use a top 10 pick on a RT or another position. If they could trade back and pick up other picks that would be ideal. And yes I am assuming they are going to be picking around #10 next year.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 27, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:56 PM

Here, here.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

It would help going forward if the LG spot is settled.

Posted by: TWISI | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM

Kaim wrote this morning that it was settled. He said that Lichtensteiger played the whole game yesterday.

Now that we settled that, playoffs are certain.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

OK.

I see members of the Portis Defense Union are out in full-force on this one.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If saying a guy isn't playing shook qualifies me for the Clinton Defense team, so be it.

I'm not defending the play, just pointing out what could have been the thinking.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 4:48 PM

I'd respond by pulling out my .45.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Because when you are blocking a rusher, you have alot more control over how you are going to deliver the block and absorb the contact.

When you are running in the open field or in traffic, you have little control over how you are going to absorb the hit or where it is going to come from.

It's the same reason why QBs dive on the ground in the open field...except it's a little different when it's your starting RB doing it.

BTW, this is NOT the first time CP has done this. He did the same thing in the Dallas game...did he have an injured arm then? Was he afraid of fumbling the ball on that play too?

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think we all agree that we need something to spark the running game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 27, 2010 4:55 PM

"lets plug a bomb in everyone's ass"

--Udo Dirkschneider, Geman band Accept lead singer.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 4:56 PM

Here, here.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and those running backs are now looking at the 45 year old ex-players who also had concussions and are now hobbling around with slurs and twitches asking for handouts from the NFL.

Again. When you are pass-blocking you can control how to deliver the block/absorb the hit. It's entirely different when you are the ball carrier, and 11 different men are targeting you and trying to knock you out of the game.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

If he didn't play you'd question his commitment, toughness, etc anyway. Damned if he do, damned if he don't.

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: dcwun | September 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

You are clearly one of those in-the-tank-for-CP types, so trying to reason with you is going to be an exercise in futility.

But for what it's worth, if CP didn't play and we later found out it was because he had an arm injury and couldn't secure the ball; you know what my response would be????

"OK"

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:05 PM

Thanks. Points taken. I don't remember him doing that in the Dallas game, but then I was trying to "hit" the fat white chick wearing a Romo jersey.

She probably still going to that bar looking for a dude named Moe after that night.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

11 different men are targeting you and trying to knock you out of the game.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:10 PM

Make that 10 men. D. Hall has other responsibilities.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:05 PM

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You must have had one too many...

The fat white chick with the Romo jersey was Moe...

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

for the record according to P1 any comment about CP that doesn't read as an all out condemnation of his play means you are in the tank for CP and can't be reasoned with.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Any word on why got carries instead of K Williams?

Posted by: skinswest | September 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"OK"

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM |

That's not the p1funk who usually posts up here. That p1funk's response would be "OK, but..." You must be subbing for him.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

You must have had one too many...

The fat white chick with the Romo jersey was Moe...

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:17 PM

HA !!!

That was good!!!!

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Portis dropped a load in the toilet to prevent an upset tummy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

You must have had one too many...

The fat white chick with the Romo jersey was Moe...

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:17 PM

Paybacks Bro!

I'll get you!

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

We have #2.

Is there a third active member of the CP Defense Union out and about right now?

Seriously, all I am saying is what is evident to everyone. We are watching the decline of CP with our own eyes. I mean, he got benched at half-time by his own coach, who was also wondering why the heck he took a dive in the open field.

Instead of entertaining some nonsensical excuse about wanting to prevent a fumble, let's just call it like it is.

He's done. He's hit the wall that all primary backs in the NFL hit around his age. It's not a "condemnation"; it's reality. He was a great back in his prime; now it's over.

I'm just not going to go along with the charade...that's all.

Posted by: p1funk | September 27, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

p1 if you can't give him any credit for being an effective runner in a game where he was averaging 7.5 per(even if it was relatively few carries), than it's not worth having the discussion.

for the record, how many yds did any redskins back rush for in the 2nd half?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Portis defender, but I have no problem with him dropping to protect the ball. He had four defenders around him and no blocking. He may have picked up another three yards tops.

If Moss had the same attitude of "two hands on the ball in traffic" like they teach in little league, we might have won that game yesterday.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 27, 2010 5:19 PM

Your handle doesn't help you seperate yourself from being an Portis apologist.

You like the dude. It's ok. But when you are coveted for your blocking more than your running, you are in trouble.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | September 27, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Winner: p1funk

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 27, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't doubt the decline of CP. I see it. I doubt that a declined CP isn't better than Ryan Torain.

Torain had one run for 36 yards. That's it. 6 for 10 the rest of the way. He also was late picking up the blitz on the McNabb sack. May have whiffed.

Portis was 6 for 46 before the hand-off at the goal line.

Bottom line with Portis as the feature back the team was more competetive than when he wasn't.

The whole reason Torain didn't make the final 53 was his pass protection and it showed yesterday.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

You know it's a weird day up here when I'm defending Portis. There were so many things that went wrong yesterday, to single out Portis going down on that play as having a big negative effect on the game? That's just silly. Does he lack quickness and breakaway speed? Hell yes. But toughness?

Read Shanny's comment: "His right hand was bothering him," Shanahan said during his Monday news conference at Redskins Park. "He felt like he didn't have the ball secured, he couldn't secure it very well, and he was afraid he was going to have contact on that side. "I asked him the same question and that's what he shared with me."

That's why he didn't play in the second half.

Posted by: NYPDee | September 27, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

They should have cut CP last year. CP was never an elite RB.

Question who is going to the Skins QB next year? Donovan's agent has broken off discussions about a new contract with Brucie and Danny Boy.

Where will Donovan play next year? Where does he live in the off season?

Posted by: sheepherder | September 27, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

They should have cut CP last year. CP was never an elite RB.

Where will Donovan play next year? Where does he live in the off season?

Posted by: sheepherder | September 27, 2010 5:57 PM |

You seriously call into question your credibility when you make the claim that Portis was never an elite back. Since 2002 he is #1 in yards from scrimmage, #2 in yards, and #3 in TD's. That's elite.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that td stat. Don't know where I got that. I think it was supposed to be yards per carry or something.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry elite backs get to playoffs and win. What has CP done in the playoffs. CP is a better than average back.

Yards, TDs etc on a losing team who cares!

Posted by: sheepherder | September 27, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

If washington plays philadelphia as they played rams the score will be 37-10 phila. eagles have more team speed(washington does not use much of their speed,( d. thomas, austin,barnes,jarmom etc.) shanahan continues with his stupidity using,galloway,holliday,r. williams,rabach and other dead beats. unless mcnabb throw 2-3 td's and run game gets 170+yd contain m. vick you are looking at 1-3.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

All right, here's a real list of Portis's accomplishments for the poster that says Portis was never an elite back:

•Ranks second all-time in club history in rushing yards (6,597), second in rushing attempts (1,613), third in rushing touchdowns (44) and 10th in total touchdowns (47).
•Among active players at the end of 2009, ranks fifth in rushing yards (9,696), sixth in rushing attempts (2,176), third in rushing touchdowns (73) and first in yards per game (89.8).
•Owns a franchise record with 26 career 100-yard rushing games in the regular season as a member of the Redskins.
•Has averaged 108.0 yards from scrimmage per game in his career, making him one of six players in NFL history, along with Jim Brown (125.5), Barry Sanders (118.9), LaDainian Tomlinson (116.6), Walter Payton (111.9) and Marshall Faulk (108.8) to average more than 108.0 yards from scrimmage per game.
•Is one of eight players in NFL history to rush for at least 1,250 yards in a season six times, joining Walter Payton (9), Barry Sanders (9), Jim Brown (7), Emmitt Smith (7), Eric Dickerson (6), Curtis Martin (6) and LaDainian Tomlinson (6). Portis, Sanders, Dickerson and Tomlinson are the only players to reach 1,250 rushing yards six times in their first seven seasons.
•Has 73 career rushing touchdowns, which is tied for 24th, along with former Redskin Terry Allen, on the NFL’s all-time list.

I'd say that elite and with elite company. Nonetheless, the game has left him for the most part.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Portis is Emmitt of 2002 and Torain is Troy Hambrick, who ran upright and with his eyes closed. Portis is done and Torain won't stick. So, you need a guy. Simple as that.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

dont get me wrong, i like Portis, i just dont see why he falls down all the time without ANY contact. he makes all these crushing blocks and it shows that he aint no punk but when it comes to running the ball he acts like a weak lil tramp. he fell down on a redzone run to the left in the Texans game, no contact just FELL!

Posted by: lincolnhomes | September 27, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

punt beeps

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 27, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Yards, TDs etc on a losing team who cares!

Posted by: sheepherder | September 27, 2010 6:07 PM

Wow you're a fool. I guess a running back should win games all by himself. Just not a smart comment. By your standard Barry Sanders is not an elite RB. I think they won 1 playoff game in the 6 he was in. You heard it people, according to Sheepherder Barry Sanders is a better than average back and nothing more.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 27, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

if he ran like he blocked we would be ok but he runs like Betty White

Posted by: lincolnhomes | September 27, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Find me the toughest tough guy you know.

Posted by: p1funk |

Dude. get that sucker registered. Then take it to Fox and pitch it as a new reality series.

Posted by: TheCork | September 27, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused...I was at the game and Portis found out he wasn't going in for the series in the second half he threw a fit...it was news to him not part of the game plan or an injury. He threw his helmet and it bounced up and hit Shanny's shins at which point he looked over to see what was up. Portis went to the bench and pouted. And all the o line and other offensive players had a wtf looks going on...and Bidwell couldn't even walk so he's not going to be magically better by Friday and by the way Trent Williams was limping he'll be out at least another week.

Posted by: orioledw | September 27, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

CP usually falls down at the line of scrimmage upon first touch--I think he was shocked that he was still running.

Vick is going to have a field day. This 3-4 defense is a huge mistake--team does not have the linebackers or a nose tackle to be successful.

Eagles 34
Skins 9

Posted by: wizard5 | September 27, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

cancer doesn't just disappear. it has to be removed.

Posted by: kone | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

LOL at this clown Portis. You got backs going 80 yars for touchdowns, while our back is sliding with nothing but air and space because he is scared of fumbling. AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY THIS TEAM IS GARBAGE AND DOES NOT PUT UP BIG NUMBERS ON OFFENSE. They have kept this clown every yr, and people just cite his yards because he is a workhorse. Number of yards is the most overrated stat. Its the number of YPC that shows if someone is productive. He is slow, HE STUMBLES AND BUMBLES. AND HE IS A CLOWN.

Posted by: redskinsalwaysstink | September 28, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

LOL AT THE REDSKINS STILL TROTTING THIS TRASH OVER RATED PEICE OF CRAP PORTIS SINCE 04. You would think in 2010 the dumb fans would realize he is nothing but a blocker. HE IS GARBAGE AT RUNNING. IF HE WANTS TO BE A BLOCKER, MAKE HIM A FULLBACK.

Posted by: redskinsalwaysstink | September 28, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse