Shanahan says Redskins 'will let due process take care of itself' in drug case

Washington Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday the team has not been contacted about a federal investigation into the activities of a Canadian doctor who was arrested last September en route to the Washington area to treat a Redskins player.

"We'll let the due process take care of itself," Shanahan said. "But I'm not going to answer to every type of question that comes - some doctor comes to town and supposedly is seeing a player. The NFL is on top of all those things. If there's any validity to it, they will contact me and contact our organization, which they have not done."

Dr. Anthony Galea was charged Tuesday with, among other things, illegally bringing human growth hormone over the border on several trips to treat professional baseball and football players as well as golfers. Though sources have identified one of three NFL players as a Redskin - who received treatment last August - players and coaches said Wednesday after an offseason workout that they are not aware of the player's identity.

"We really don't know," linebacker Andre Carter said. "But if that day does come up, and they discuss who the suspect is, we'll plan accordingly. But regardless, if he did or didn't make that mistake, he's still family. We won't turn our backs on him. We just got to go along with it."

Players said the discussion of the offender's identity came up Tuesday, when the story broke, and continued into Wednesday. Some said it could affect preparations for Shanahan's first season as coach, some players said - particularly if the player is suspended by the NFL. According to the federal criminal complaint released Tuesday, an NFL player in the Washington area, identified by sources as a Redskin, told authorities he never knowingly received HGH, but he did pay for the treatments and the travel expenses of both Galea and an assistant.

"It's kind of disappointing, as far as that whole deal goes," receiver Malcolm Kelly said. "A lot of people are accused of doing it all the time. To come out now when we're out trying to get everything together, it's just another distraction."

Some players weren't eager to discuss the topic. Wide receiver Devin Thomas said: "I ain't got nothing to say about that." Veteran receiver Santana Moss, who is recovering from minor offseason knee surgery after problems had plagued him for three years, said: "I'll talk about football. I don't know about nothing else. I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't about me."

Many Redskins acknowledged the pressure NFL players are under to overcome injuries. But veteran defensive end Philip Daniels said a player who knowingly used HGH could be viewed differently in the locker room.

"There's no excuse," Daniels said. "Every guy knows that we can't use that. Every guy knows that. You know if you're using it, that ain't a good thing.

"Any other supplement that you use - I can see something over the counter, that you bought at the store, you get tested and you come up positive. That's different. You didn't know it was in there. But HGH, you know what that is. You know what that is. There's really no excuse."

It is not, though, unusual for players to seek medical treatment outside of the team's staff.

"I've had guys who've had five or six people work on them all the time - massages, their own workout people," Shanahan said. "Everybody's a little bit different with how they take care of their body."

For now, the Redskins are left to answer questions for which few of them have answers, and to wonder which one among them is the player in the affidavit.

"It can be a little bit of a distraction to a certain degree," Carter said. "But I think overall we'll handle it accordingly and be smart about it. I think we're old enough and grown men to know like we don't' need to point fingers and need to bash a teammate for doing something that's illegal. It's the way of the world. This is the NFL. They're going to find you."

Holliday on Haynesworth ...

Dan Steinberg listens and types as Vonnie Holliday talks to Mike Wise and Holden Kusher about Albert Haynesworth on 106.7. ... In the Redskins Tailgate Zone, fans are discussing whether they'd be satisfied with an 8-8 season 1) given last year's performance and 2) all the offseason moves. ... So far at least, the Redskins can't say they have any players holding out and demanding to be paid. Other teams aren't so lucky. Do Andre Johnson and Chris Johnson deserve to be paid? Weigh in at The League.

By Barry Svrluga, Rick Maese and Jason Reid  |  May 19, 2010; 2:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Signing Brian Westbrook is still a possibility for Redskins, Shanahan says
Next: Redskins gaining speed in learning Mike Shanahan's system

Comments

Very magnanimous of the Ultimate Leader to let due process take care of itself, I think.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Paging Randy Thomas....Randy are you there!

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Santana seems a tad bit defensive about the subject, just sayin.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

A lot of players came forth with their denials, but who was surprisingly quiet? Portis? McIntosh? Moss really didn't come out and say he never did it... Maybe it is a "U" thing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"i ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't about me." Another example of the "U" English department.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | May 19, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ai't about me." Another great example of "the U " English department.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | May 19, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I hold to the "whoever smelt it dealt it" approach to sniffing (pun) out things like this:

The guilty party is the player who came out first to condemn the issue.

...let's get him!!!!!

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the 'Skins can sue this as their 'spygate' and post multiple 50 point games on the haters this season.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I threw Daniels under the bus...now I'm throwing Griffin under the bus as well.

Posted by: TWISI | May 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Funny how you pick 2 guys out of the 50+ that aren't quoted and label them as surprisingly quite.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | May 19, 2010 2:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
Ain't no "I" in team - ain't no "U" either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

p1, again, I said in addition to looking at stats also look at the level of talent that Wall had at Kentucky and how that compared to Turner at OSU.

Again, it's no surprise that Wall's stats are better than Turner's when he HAD MORE TALENT surrounding him.

GAWD!

Defenses can key-in easily on Turner because it was simple with OSU: Stop Turner, OSU looses.

You can't do that at Kentucky. You still had to account for Cousins and the rest of 'em.

And please quit using stats as the basis of your argument. You wanna do stats I'll throw you some out there:

GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
36 31.8 21.2 41.0 31.7 72.2 3.6 2.5 0.6 1.2

GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
32 33.4 15.3 45.1 47.4 83.4 6.6 4.5 0.0 2.4

Stats mean very little in school. The first set belongs to Dajuan Wagner in his freshman year, the second set belongs to Chris Paul in his freshman year.

It's all about who's NBA ready. That is Evan Turner.

Gawd peeps, get off the spoon-fed hype already.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I ain't got nothing to post that ain't got nothing to do with me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 2:49 PM
------------------------------------------
It is funny. Any chance to take a shot at the "U" is worth making a "reach" for the facts.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, we can at least eliminate 1 player who we know didn't take it, and that's Fat Albert! He's been eating too many twinkies and too busy counting his millions to worry about juicing up.

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 2:54 PM
----------------------------------------
Hmmm. I dunno. Maybe having your own trainer in the offseason is code for HGH binge.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Everybody needs to shut up because they are making others look guilty.....like Santana....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

It's all about who's NBA ready. That is Evan Turner.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

What makes Turner NBA ready in comparison to Wall?

Still plenty that Turner can work on too

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that the University of Miami used to make you cry and piss off your Daddies something terrible with their showboating and dominance when they used to whoop y'alls favorite college team back in the day.

How else can you explain the pure HATE that many of display on the regular?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe "trainer" is code for "dealer". Hey, he can afford the good sh*t now!

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I like what AC99 said, "This is the NFL, they're going to find you."

If you're a pro athlete and you do use an illegal substance, you are either.

1. Really brave
2. Really stupid

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Haynesworth is pulling a Gilbert Arenas -- staying away from OTAs because, well, just because, but in reality, avoiding getting served with a subpoena. Arenas (at least as I recall) was "sick" for a few games to avoid getting served with some papers.

Posted by: Xlnt | May 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter had some interesting comments.

P Daniels is off my list cause of what he said. He knows it would come out and he would be a hypocrite for saying what he did.

AC sounds like is already trying to talk his way outta it.

Was he injured?

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

red, I don't get it either...I couldn't care less if Santana can string together coherent words or not.....get his knee healthy, and catch td's....thats what I'd like from him....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that a prerequisite for being a Dallas Cowpie?

1. Must be really stupid
2. Must use illegal drugs
3. Learn to blame crack pipe in car on your brother-in-law (contact Michael Irvin for advice!)

Posted by: monk811 | May 19, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Santana will use the Sammy Sosa technique when questioned.

Investigator: "Mr. Moss, have you ever used HGH?"

Moss: "I ain't got no H's or no G's, I only know what I know about me. I ain't seen no letters or nothing, ain't about me."

Investigator: "Uh...I'm sorry Mr. Moss I didn't quite understand that."

Moss: "Like I said I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't bout me."

Investigator:"Was that English Mr. Moss?"

Moss:"I ain't heard nothing bout no English, ain't there a G and a H in 'English'? Ax English bout that."

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If you're a pro athlete and you do use an illegal substance, you are either.

1. Really brave
2. Really stupid

Posted by: iH8dallas

Or want to get a bigger contract. The use of stuff will drop if ... players that get discovered have to give back some of their guaranteed money.

Don't think taking HGH is illegal -- its only a violation of NFL rules. But wondering, might it be illegal to take it in the US from a Canadian doc?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Clippers had it so much easier last year. Blake Griffin was a No-Brainer.

Of course, it being the Clippers, the never injured Griffin immediately got hurt and missed the entire year.

If Turner and Wall were equal, the tie breaker for me would be fact Wall is a PG.

Great teams need a first rate PG

Good teams can become great with great PG added.

With large number of great PGs in league, you BETTER have a great PG to compete.

Wait, what? The Lakers? When greatness is required at the PG position, Kobe takes over.

If it's even close, Wall is the choice.

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 3:04 PM

Zeebs meet my friend Rafael. Rafael say hello to Zeebs. Look him in the eye, point in his face, and tell him how you never used steroids.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

What makes Turner NBA ready in comparison to Wall?

Still plenty that Turner can work on too

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

In a word: Versatility.

It's not easily taught.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

No matter who the HGH (alleged) user is, if I'm the NFL, I'm having Landry pee in a cup.

Guy has gone from 210 to 230 and saying he expects to reach 240.

When he was shown in the weight room on NFL live, he was so rocked up, Rich Eisen actually gasped.

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Players should get out in front of this before they either get caught lying to Goodell or worst, the FBI

Either way, just admitting it is the easiest way to go as they WILL get you somehow

Posted by: Bious | May 19, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I like what AC99 said, "This is the NFL, they're going to find you."

If you're a pro athlete and you do use an illegal substance, you are either.

1. Really brave
2. Really stupid

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I wish I shared your's and AC's confidence in the investigative capabilities of the NFL and other professional leagues. The relatively-small number of pro athletes who get caught juicing leads me to believe that one of two things is true: either the actual number who cheat is also small, or a lot of guys are doing it and are not getting caught. The existence of "designer drugs" that there are not even tests for yet, and the large monetary incentive to cheat leads me to believe that the latter is true.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

bean, it's an obvious inferiority complex with those types.

*Young

*Playing a game they'd cut their pinkie toe off for

*Maybe didn't have to work as hard in school or in the workforce as them to get them where they are while achieving more

*"Inner city, urban dudes" who defied the odds

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Great teams need a first rate PG.

Good teams can become great with great PG added.

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 3:12

Really? Since the Pistons' last championship with Isaiah only two PGs have been pivotal to their teams titles - Billups and Parker (DWade is is a two guard in disguise). You don't need a great PG to be a great team. The Bulls never had a great PG. The Kobe/Shaq Lakers didn't have a great PG and neither does this current incarnation. The 2008 Celtics didn't have a great PG. The NBA is a big man's game. Little guys can only take you so far.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

So I am guessing by his weight gain he doesnt plan on wrapping up on tackles and will still be hoping for the knock out shot.

Someone needs to tell Landry that just because you are ripped and can bench a Sumo wrestler, that wont make you a better football player. Or help you turn your hips to prevent being burned by the feared "double-move".

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 19, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

In a word: Versatility.

It's not easily taught.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. Just asking b/c you seem to have a strong opinion about him being better than Wall.

There are plenty of guys in the league that are 6'7 and versatile(see Caron Butler).

Just happy they landed in the top 3 with the pick, after that the talent drops off a lot.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

if my expectations of a NFL player are a strong command of the english language, and things of that nature, then I need to find another sport to follow.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Check me on this, if poss. Moss employing the double negative actually says he does have something to do with something that has to do with him.
.... hmmm. Not very confidence instilling.

...still making fun of football players' communication skills is akin to SJKing in the wind.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 19, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000

Agreed, but it would make someone think twice about coming across the middle or running to his side.

As much as I would like to see Landry prove the doubters wrong, I don't see how you can have HGH allegation use surrounding the team and not immediately think of him.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

And Cork I'll add this list of great PGs who played on good teams that were vanquished - Payton, Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Hardaway, Mark Jackson, AI, Jason Kidd.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but this person already talked and was disposed... so if that person talks, they would most likely sound more like AC or Moss than P Daniels. They know it will come out and his quote will be used against him.

But all things being equal, hopefully that person was smart enough to not even look at reporters when they were asking.

Run and hide.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Seems like DT had the least interest in talking about it.

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 19, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Or even better, that he is not even on the team anymore.

In reading it, i could not find if they said when they talked to the skin player.

Was it recently or not? You gotta figure he was asked, the nfl was contacted as was the skins.

So they know who it is... unless it just happened. It just seems as if the story is being told now, but that all the principles were talked to sometime in the past.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, would versatility and athleticism be synonymous with each other?

If so, then Caron Butler, as much of a fan I am of his, isn't versatile.

He was exposed for his lack of athleticism when he was in D.C.

Good player, high b-ball I.Q., stand-up guy. But versatile he is not.

With Turner you have a guy that can play the 1, 2, and 3.

When I think of Evan Turner, Scottie Pippen comes to mind.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"It's all about who's NBA ready. That is Evan Turner.

Posted by: RedDMV"

And John Wall.

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

yeah, the other option would be what?
Obstruction of justice?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 19, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought you guys knew:

Football players = Learned Doctors, English Majors, and Nuclear Physicist

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

ppstr8, would versatility and athleticism be synonymous with each other?

If so, then Caron Butler, as much of a fan I am of his, isn't versatile.

He was exposed for his lack of athleticism when he was in D.C.

Good player, high b-ball I.Q., stand-up guy. But versatile he is not.

With Turner you have a guy that can play the 1, 2, and 3.

When I think of Evan Turner, Scottie Pippen comes to mind.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't considering versatility and athleticism as synonymous. I was just going by ability to play different positions.

Don't watch much Big 10 bball, but from what I've read Turner is just an OK(by NBA standards) athlete while Wall is a Great athlete.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

espn reporting none other than Clinton "Hambone" Portis is the HGH culprit.

Oh and Red- how's your momma doing?

Posted by: richard_cranium | May 19, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's all about who's NBA ready. That is Evan Turner.

Gawd peeps, get off the spoon-fed hype already.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Really Red???

Stats mean very little?

Tell me.

What makes you think that Evan Turner is such a prolific triple threat scorer??? Would it be BECAUSE OF HIS SCORING STATS IN COLLEGE???

What makes you think that Evan Turner played with less talent around him at OSU. Would it be BECAUSE THEIR STATS AREN'T AS IMPRESSIVE AS THE STATS FROM OTHER KENTUCKY PLAYERS??

Please.

Spoon-fed hype?

That's right...if we don;'t share Red's opinion on the matter it's because we are all caught up in the hype.

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

...Moss employing the double negative actually says he does have something to do with something that has to do with him..... hmmm. Not very confidence instilling.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 19, 2010 3:31 PM
.....................

ha! omg...you're right! he admitted it.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 19, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

No, more like if you can't think for yourself and have to rely on what's popular at the time, then yes, you're caught up in the hype.

Yes, p1, stats aren't that important when taking them from college and how they'll equate to the professional ranks.

I thought you knew that, but obviously I overestimated you.

The sentiment that OSU had more talent than KU may have something to do with, gee I don't know... WIN/LOSS RECORD

OSU: 29-8
KU: 35-3

And way to twist my words. I never said that Turner was a "triple-threat scorer", I believe I just said triple threat, as in Shoot, pass, and dribble.

Good to see that you've been taking notes from brownwood26's school of argument on how to twist and spin words so they'll fit your own argument.

He'll be proud.

But keep on chugging down that spoon fed media hype if you like.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Why would you use the term "Offender" to describe the player in questions at this point?

Just because the player is tied to Galea does not mean any crime or offense has been proven yet.

Nice journalistic integrity, I assume Reid is behind this.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 19, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Lets just hope it was Randy Thomas or someone not on the team anymore.

Posted by: kreator6996 | May 19, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse