Shanahan to meet with assistants again Monday

Don't expect a whole lot of movement on the coaching staff front in the next few days. Washington's new head coach, Mike Shanahan, who's back in Denver today, has given the current group of Redskins' assistants the weekend off, and he's expected to meet with them again Monday morning.

While the future of most is up in the air, at least one assistant has his next gig already lined up. Running back coach Stump Mitchell told the Baton Rouge Advocate that he still can't technically accept Southern University's offer to become the school's next head coach, but "you can tell [Southern's] Board of Supervisors that I will see them Wednesday," Mitchell said. "I will be in Baton Rouge on Wednesday."

Mitchell was offered the head coaching position there Dec. 31, but he's still under contract with the Redskins and doesn't plan to accept Southern's offer until he's interviewed with Shanahan. The Advocate called it an exit interview, not a job interview.

Mitchell, one of a handful of assistants that Jim Zorn was allowed to hire, told the Advocate that he's in California this week, tending to personal matters and is scheduled to speak with Shanahan on Monday. He made it clear, though, that his next professional step won't likely be another season as an NFL assistant.

By Rick Maese  |  January 8, 2010; 12:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Edwards: Offensive line must be Shanahan's priority
Next: Grimm is a finalist for Hall of Fame

Comments

With Shanahan Jr. here, have the Sherms been officially fired?

Posted by: cacla | January 8, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking to do a better job, I can't do a better job, she's my sister, she's my mother. No wonder some players went straight to Snyder -- they couldn't understand the coaches.

Posted by: RIP-21 | January 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

beep, no wait, first.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 8, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

What about Sherman Smith?

What are the chances he goes crawling back to Fisher and kiss his ring telling him he was right and he should have never went to the Redskins....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Good to see that JR is reading other papers for his news.

I love Stump -- going right from position coach to head coach! Yeah baby that's the way to do it.

Just like JZ...

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

With Shanahan Jr. here, have the Sherms been officially fired?

Posted by: cacla | January 8, 2010 12:46 PM |

Not yet but most of them if not all will be fired by Wednesday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

From PFT:

Redskins plan to meet with Haslett
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 8, 2010 12:55 PM ET
We first mentioned Wednesday that Jim Haslett could be a name to watch as a potential defensive coordinator in Washington.

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Redskins indeed plan to meet with the former Saints and UFL head coach. The Redskins are also interested in Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Haslett reportedly wants to bring in former chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie if he is running a defense. Players working under a Haslett/Krumrie combination should expect a lot of yelling coming their way.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I like this Shanny dude.... most other new Head Coaches would of "scorched earth" the coaching staff immediately to make a statement but in the long run, they short change themselves by losing current player "scouting" intelligence.
Most of the staff is on Contract till Feb 26th.. So if you fire them now, you have to pay them anyway through that date.. What better way to get up to speed on the players abilities or shortcomings than to interview their coaches?
Shanny should pick their brains until the last day of payroll.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 8, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

__________________

The fact he wants Krumrie diminishes Haslett's value as an option at DC IMO.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes..I'll take Crummie...He's a beast...

No more Leisure World for the Redskins I see.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The fact he wants Krumrie diminishes Haslett's value as an option at DC IMO.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:05 PM |

Explain!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"I can say that I'm not looking for a better job. I'm looking to do a better job... I can't do a better job... Right now I'm looking for a better job..."

So, Stump, CP, and George W Bush all learned the english language at the same school: The School For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Who Want To Do Other Things Good Too

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 8, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Krumrie is highly regarded and well respected around the league. Not sure why he would diminish Haslett's value.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm basing that on several of his post-game comments when he was asked about whiffed tackles, getting beat in coverage, biting on double-moves, etc.

Really? You are a saftey. Your job is to tackle guys when other people can't/don't.

He was unapologetic about biting on double moves talking about he he's always gonna go for the big play.

Not too long after that, we stopped seeing him at FS and starting seeing him more around the line at SS.

What if Landry never matures? What if he's a physically talented bonehead? What if he just decides he's gonna torpedo tackle people no matter what? What if he turns into the 2nd coming of Roy Williams - a guy who got hyped early in his career b/c of big hits, but then couldn't get on the field b/c teams exploited his weaknesses and he never learned? What if we miss this opportunity to get something else back for him and his career slides? In case you didn't notice, he acutally regressed since last year in his capacity as a free safety.

Posted by: p1funk

What did he exactly that would suggest that he wasn't a team player? I'm willing to bet that it was something you conjured up in your head.

Don't know if you know this but "I'm not changing my style of play" ≠ Not a team player

Again, look at the entire picture and not just the hot chick with the ti-ti's hanging out.

The ENTIRE secondary, not just Landry regressed this past season. All of them. What does that tell you? That the coaching SUCKED and the scheme SUCKED.

It's easy to blame Landry because he out of all of them had the worst season. But why aren't you asking yourself about the game-planning, scheme, and coaching. You're being very short-sighted on this... maybe because it's your reeking bias against Landry and that's understandable. But how about dialing back the "I hate Landry, I wish he'd die" shtick for about five minutes and look at the situation as a whole?

Typical RI poster that when they smell blood in the water, they act like all the other sharks and pounce. Do your own hunting and get off the "monkey see, monkey do" crap.

Whatever, p1. We can debate this until whenever, and it still isn't going to make any difference. But excuse me for wanting to see how the #6 overall pick in the 2007 draft can be coached differently when the new defensive coordinator comes in. I have a thesis, but maybe, just maybe they can have a positive influence on him. And guess what?!?!?! If he still stink it up again next year, they can still get draft picks for him. It isn't like Landry's deficiencies are only known to RI and Redskins Park.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 8, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?

I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wait, so Stump thinks that he couldn't have possibly done a better job here than what he did???? Southern ought to look very closely at the decision they just made.

Shanahan won two Lombardi trophies and said that "as a coach you always make mistakes and are constantly evaluating yourself and how you can get better...."

Stump after 4 wins and a pitiful offense says that he did the best job he possibly could have.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

As for Krumrie, I may be wrong, but I can't remember any player he's coached that has been dominate at DL. Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey are the latest example. I thought back to his days with the Bengals, no one comes to mind. Krumie was a solid player, but as a coach I don't know. Please enlighten me, I could be wrong.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that the folks at Grambling University are licking their chops at the prospect of their biggest rival being headed up by this brainiac.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This guy sounds like a tough SOB which is what we need for certain members of our D-Line.

Plus KC has had some very good D-Lines in the years he was there, you can't knock it out of the park every year. They had some crappy players over the last fiew years not his fault.

Professional career
Krumrie was selected to the Pro Bowl twice, in 1987 and 1988, and assisted the Bengals to one Super Bowl appearance. He finished his career with 34 sacks and 13 fumble recoveries for 35 return yards in 188 games. At the time of his retirement, his 34 sacks were the fourth highest in franchise history.

Krumrie suffered two breaks in his tibia and another in his fibula during Super Bowl XXIII against the San Francisco 49ers. He refused to go to the hospital, insisting on staying in the locker room and watching the game on television, only leaving when the paramedics told him he might go into shock. After a 15-inch steel rod was surgically implanted to stabilize the leg, Krumrie was ready by the 1989 regular season, and played six more years with a steel rod in that injured leg and led the team with 97 tackles in 1992. Krumrie concluded his playing career following the 1994 campaign) after compiling 1,017 tackles (700 solo), 34.5 sacks (-238.0 yards), 13 fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed.

[edit] Coaching career
After retiring in 1994, Krumrie joined the Bengals organization as defensive line coach. He was the defensive line coach for the Kansas City Chiefs until his dismissal on January 5, 2010.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell said, "Right now I'm looking for a better job, and the only way I can do a better job is if I'm entrusted with guiding an entire team."

Perhaps he should be entrusted with guiding himself to an English book.

This reads like a broke rapper's unpublished verse.

Stump came here to support a friend in Jim Zorn who otherwise had none.

He must've stood at practice everyday and thought it was a great idea the team rested Clinton Portis so he wouldn't be too tired to do John Thompson's radio show.

Who's worth saving, who's worth letting go, is all.

Otherwise, he finishes a stellar career as the Rooney Rule coach who had the sense not to interview for a job he wasn't going to get.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree with those that say no on Krumrie as a DLine coach...he was the with the Chiefs the last several years under two different head coaches and they spent numberous high round draft picks....top 10 picks even on d-line and have nothing to show for it. That's why he was fired 4-3 or 3-4 defense both the guy was plain ineffective.

Posted by: orioledw | January 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"In his responses he would talk about how someone that he tried to tackle (but missed) was "someone else's guy"."

This could mean (rather putting it all on Landry) that the guy Landry is talking about was supposed to be the assignment of another member on the defense. Based on where Landry was playing, to save the play, Landry had to come a good 20-30 yards from the opposite side of the field to make the stop. It could be that SOMEONE else not named LANDRY blew their assignment.

And yes he is a safety, but how do you know what side of the field is he shaded on?

Not trying to be condescending, but have you played football before? Do you know how zone defenses work, and how defenders have areas of the field that they are responsible for? You do understand that other people not named 'Laron Landry' can blow their assignment in coverage, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

RE Brees article:

The NFL is a single entity made up of franchises. I don't believe the teams can currently change leagues, can they?

It's like competing branches of say, Sun Trust... Sure, they run their own shops; have their own ABA numbers. But they are competing under the same company, and follow the directions of their corporations board or pay the consequences.

I don't see where this suit has legs. Alex? care to chime in?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What about Sherman Smith?

=====================================================

less you forget that ernest byner is the rb's coach for the titans and he's going nowhere bc his starting rb just ran for 2000 yrds!!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mitchell, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 8, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:22 PM

So basically, he has not shown his skills yet on a good team. Cheifs and Bengals? Come on man!

He is the Defensive Joe Bugel...

I'd take him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think it's hilarious how people point out grammar/spelling errors, but don't even say what the error was, or worse, make an error of their own while supposedly "correcting".

F_cking RI, man....

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Flounder which years are you referring to. Are you sure Krumrie was there?

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: orioledw | January 8, 2010 1:26 PM

Have you thought that it was maybe the players? I've heard stories about one of them being lazy and fat (Dorsey?)...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Last time I heard Krumrie's name called was when he got that awful broken leg in the superbowl.

Nasty injury, not quite Theisman but nasty anyway.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

When does Shanahan return to DC? Word is he returned to Denver yesterday.

I actually saw Snyder's Maybach yesterday about 4:30 on the Beltway (the stretched out black one with that odd little media box on the trunk and Maryland plates), outer loop between Potomac and Tysons, presumably delivering Shanahan and his wife back to Redskins One.

Also I know the GM of the Tysons Palm. Apparently Snyder closed down the entire restaurant the other night and had one big table in the middle of the restaurant for Shanahan and all the owners.

Add to the $7MM/year contract, you'd wonder how Snyder can afford such given that he's had to lay off lower level staff and sue ticket holders, etc. I suppose the Six Flags bankruptcy settlement has taken a bit of financial burden off of him.

Posted by: RambleOn | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Seahawks fire Mora...

Posted by: mattylight | January 8, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Nasty injury, not quite Theisman but nasty anyway.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM |

I think it was worse the Joey T. it's so nasty YouTube took it down.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Seahawks fire Mora...

Posted by: mattylight | January 8, 2010 1:36 PM |

That was fast!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

RedD,

I haven't read the whole thred you're commenting on, so don't tase me, bro!

...but I'm thinking much of this year's (and the last few, actually) coverage problems are stemming from there just being too much for players to think about in their pre-snap reads.

Some evidence of this, anecdotally at least, is when guys were in position and ready, they made plays well. It's when the guys were reacting that the problems happened... of course, that brings up the whole 'chicken vs. egg' scenario...

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Polls?

Polls?

We don't need no stickin' polls!!!

(Yes, we do! With apologies to NFL.com)

Which wild-card team has the best chance of reaching the Super Bowl?

Baltimore Ravens

Green Bay Packers

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

The pack is hot.

The iggles can't lose to the cowboys three times, can they?

Gang Green is a team of the future, not now.

Flacco and Ray Ray ain't got nothing on Tom Terrific.

We go with the iggles, pack winning.

The iggles remain our Super Bowl fav.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Reds....I agree...and I purposefully let some irrational modes of speech in my writings....

HOw do yo do that Do nOt = joint?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What about Sherman Smith?

=====================================================

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Byner go to seattle?

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | January 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RambleOn | January 8, 2010 1:35 PM |

Multi Billion Dollar TV Contracts

Radio and Lots of TV Shows (Redskins latenight is my fav. Who watches? Larry Landovaaaa).

Stadium Naming Rights

And so on and So on......The Post only harps on the bad stuff....they don't report when he does good financially, which he does more often than failing...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM

CONCUR!

Whose up for a Minny vs. GB Conferance Final??

If it was only in GB, though...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM

CONCUR!

Whose up for a Minny vs. GB Conferance Final??

If it was only in GB, though...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

He is the Defensive Joe Bugel...

I'd take him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 1:31 PM

If I'm correct, Krumrie has coached three top 5 DL (Big Daddy Wilkerson, Glen Dorsey, Tyson Jackson). To date no has lived up to the potential that they showed in college. In addition, I can't recall him coaching a top DL to date. The more research I do the more Krumrie looks like a turd.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Seahawks fire Mora..."

Wow!

Two calls in the same week.

Now if I can only predict the time mrsmoe will come home tonite, I'll be straight.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

That last paragraph is totally Groucho Marx...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 8, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe people should stop playing them out of position. Dorsey wasn't bad at all as a 4-3 DT. He's just not a 3-4 DE. Tyson Jackson played 4-3 DE in college. He may turn out to be a 3-4 DE but it will be another year or two until he is strong enough. The worst part is that their NT and both DEs are barely 300 pounds soaking wet. I think we are better suited to play a 3-4 then the Chiefs. Tyson Jackson would be much better as a LDE in a 4-3 and Dorsey would be a very good DT in a 4-3. If they could get a true 3-4 NT then I bet both these guys would see a lot better production. Terrence Cody would be a great fit for them. If I were them I'd trade down and try to get Cody and a LT.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

So is Jim Mora in the runningnow for DC now?

Zimmer, Gray, Haslett & Mora

who's the best?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 8, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, Jamarcus Russell, or as he is more commonly known, "Sixty-Eight Million Dollars The Raiders Should Have Just Lit On Fire"

Posted by: mattylight | January 8, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"Whose up for a Minny vs. GB Conferance Final??"

I'd like to see McNabb v. Manning in Miami.

But the drama associated with Rogers v. Favre in the dome is compelling.

Think about it.

The trainee v. the guy he replaced.

The old gunslinger v. the new kid rockin' in his old spot.

Favre in purple seeking revenge against the Lombardi Empire: it's Star Wars in the Land of a Thousand Lakes.

I can see it now:

Brett, "Aaron, I am you father. Join me. Join the Purple Side!!"

Rogers. "You might be my daddy. But you ain't the boss of me!!"

It would be great drama.

But I don't want to see it.

I want my stars to war in Miami with a nation of millions watching: Manning v. McNabb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

__________________

IS that his fault or the GMs for taking those players with high picks? Tyson Jackson was an extreme reach. Big Daddy was a decent player, but wasn't dominant anywhere he played.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 8, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

dfbovey They may not have merit a top 5 pick, but they were clearly top 10 caliber picks. That is these players are talented players. Those who say that he's a hard arse, why are/were these player(s) so undisciplined. Isn't it the coaches responsibility to help these guys develop their talent. Let's move on from these individual players, when has a Tim Krumrie lead DL been on of the better DL in the NFL? He may be well liked, I'm just not seeing the production to merit the distinction.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe Dorsey and Jackson both suck. Wouldn't be the first LSU players to underacheive. Them 2 along with Jamarcus Russell could be the most underserving millionnaires in America. Potentially with Landry not trailing far behind.."

Interesting point.

The scouts spoke about Dorsey like he was Warren Sapp, jr.

And J Russell is bad as A Davis is clueless.

This only proves why the draft is a major crapshoot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

TWISI - I can respect that....

We'll find out when Krumie joins the staff!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

First, my criticism of Laron Landry is that I think he's appeared to be less coachable than Chris Horton:

"He's going through a learning process," Gray said of Landry. "The guy was All-American strong safety, great player, really aggressive. Now you're playing free [safety], which is more cunning. You've got to be really thinking in that position. And that's the thing he has to do. He has to learn to more passive, rather than aggressive at free safety."

Landry's thoughts???

"No matter how it looks I'm going to try to jump on it, get the break on something," Landry said. "Staring it down, they ran a nice double move. He [Brees] stepped up in the pocket, I watched him step up in the pocket. ... Great call in that situation."

Now, you tell me. Does this sound like a guy who is on the same page with his coach? Who is taking input about how to learn to play the position better?

I just add this to show that I'm not conjuring this stuff up in my head.

Now I don't know where your rant about the scheme and coaching and being bias is coming from.

I've said again and again that I don't think Landry is a bum.

I've said that the Skins need draft picks. When I look at the roster, I see depth at the safety position.

I've said that I think LL30 has the most value out of anyone that we could possibly trade and since Horton has a good chance of being able to step in and play big at SS, we should look to shop him.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 1:48 PM

Too easy....Too easy...

I refuse to take the bait..lol

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Tim Krumrie in a second....

""I can say that I'm not looking for a better job. I'm looking to do a better job. For now, in the NFL, I can't do a better job than what I've done," Mitchell said. "Right now I'm looking for a better job, and the only way I can do a better job is if I'm entrusted with guiding an entire team."

Wow I guess we are starting understand why the players always looked confused. Does this make any sense?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dorsey is a good DT in a 4-3. He's just not quite strong and fast enough to be a 3-4 DE. If I were a team running a 4-3 I'd see if they would deal him on the cheap in a year or two. The guy would beast out next to Haynesowrth.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much abot Krumrie, but didn't Jared Allen play for the Chiefs not too long ago?

Posted by: BigE44 | January 8, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"The guy (Dorsey) would beast out next to Haynesowrth."

This begs abother question, what's up with A Montgomery?

Would an aggressive scheme benefit him?

I'd like to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | January 8, 2010 2:38 PM

BINGO! And he plays like Krumie did...High Motor!

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | January 8, 2010 2:38 PM

Good point. Not a fan, but if Shanny, who has actually studied these coaches, signs off on him, what the heck.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Haslett and Bruce Allen have spent some time in the same org, so I wouldn't be surprised if Haslett gets some serious consideration. I don't want to see another bend but don't break rigid 4-3 defense. I'd like to see a more dynamic defense that throws in 3-4, 4-3, 5-2: just mixes it up a lot so QB's have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out who is on the field and who could be blitzing. I would also like to see a coach who believes in emphasizing the stars by moving them around: kind of like what NYG did with LT. To me, the beauty of having a guy like Orakpo who can play linebacker and end, is to make it look like they are playing one position when really they are playing the other.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 8, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

This begs abother question, what's up with A Montgomery?

Would an aggressive scheme benefit him?

I'd like to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 2:41 PM

Montgomey is the ultimate underacheiver/Gohlston is the ultimate overacheiver.

If their were a Joe Bugel DLine Coach, Montgomery can be all-pro.

Krumie, I think is that guy. And Montgomery will be restricted, again this year. So he ain't going no where...

...But we may have to either decrease Griffin's playing time or cut him so Montgomery can reach his height...After all...AMontgomery was the freakin QB of his High School team...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I remember about Krumrie is that he kind of sucked on Super Tecmo Bowl.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 8, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | January 8, 2010 3:00 PM

They'll do that to overacheiver's in dem type games....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

This begs abother question, what's up with A Montgomery?

Would an aggressive scheme benefit him?

I'd like to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe

See, this is what I'm saying about Landry, p1.

Maybe Montgomery is better suited to get after the QB rather maintaining the gap.

It's a fact that Landry is better at SS than at FS, where in the Blache scheme, Landry was expected to play like Taylor did.

They used to ask Taylor to come up for run support and play coverage -- the exact same thing that they're asking Landry to do. When Taylor was relegated to just coverage, it resulted in 5 INTs in six games I believe.

What I'm saying is put the boy Landry in a position that he's better suited for instead of trying to make him something that he isn't. That goes for Orakpo and Haynesworth as well.

There are probably more too.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

SPeaking of OSackpo...I don't see this dudes name here:

Houshmandzadeh says locker room stood behind Mora
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 8, 2010 2:52 PM ET
Jim Mora's firing caught Seahawks receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh by surprise, like a lot of folks.

"I was very shocked," Houshmandzadeh said. "It's something that I can't believe. I think coach Mora is a hell of a coach. You can point to a lot of things. It's unfortunate coach Mora has to take the blame for all of us."

Amidst speculation that Mora's players tuned out at the end of the season, Houshmandzadeh said that wasn't the case.

"That's all media talk. Everybody in the locker room was behind coach Mora. Every man in there stood behind him."

The Seahawks didn't show their support on the field. They lost their last four games by a combined score of 123-37.

We'll have more on who may be Houshmandzadeh's next coach in a few minutes.

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top
Skill position players largely missing from Pepsi rookie of the year field
Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2010 2:45 PM ET
Last year, the five finalist for the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Year included only quarterbacks and running backs: Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Steve Slaton, Matt Forte, and Chris Johnson.

This year, with the award being renamed for the sugar-sweetened version of the beverage, the candidates consist of guys who'd be less naturally inclined to worry about their girlish figures.

And not a single quarterback or running back.

The finalists are Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, Ravens tackle Michael Oher, Bills safety Jairus Byrd, and Vikings receiver Percy Harvin, the only skill-position player of the five.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:59 PM

Hate to disagree with you so much today, but the Skins most likely won't tender Monty. He was in the dog house the last two years, and the team tried to trade him twice. I don't think he'll get a glowing evaluation from the current coaches. He's most likely outta here.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Seahawks new coach isn't Zimmer.

Posted by: REXskins | January 8, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

There are probably more too.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, but it still doesn't explain his atrocious tackling and even a SS has to cover somebody once in a while. You would think that having been at SS, his tackling would be a strength, but for some odd reason, all his fundamentals went out the window.
4th Floor: The Gods created Super Tecmo Bowl and they were fair and unbiased. I mean when all 11 defenders on the field would bounce off and get run over by the like's of Okoye and Bo Jackson, it didn't get much more realistic and accurate.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 8, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo makes the Pro Bowl, but he's not even in the running for ROY???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I heard on the radio that the seahawks asked the vikings for permission to interview Leslie Frazier and he said no thanks.

Posted by: skinswest | January 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 2:59 PM

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:14 PM
-----------------------------------------
I'd be inclined to agree with you. Word on the street is he is gifted athletically but lazy, with little motivation. With Griffin getting up there in years, it makes the depth at DT look a little sparse.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | January 8, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo makes the Pro Bowl, but he's not even in the running for ROY???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I had heard he placed 4th in the ROY voting, Brian Cushing won it, cant really argue kid came out beasting.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:14 PM

We will tender this guy because I beleive the coaches believe he has untapped potential...You just don't let a DT walk like that..

I know he was in the doghouse, but there is a new owner to said house now...And Shanny always believes in reclaimation projects...look what he did in Denver..

My thoughts..at least..

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo makes the Pro Bowl, but he's not even in the running for ROY???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 3:20 PM

This is for that Pepsi ROY award...They show it all the time on NFLN...Not the AP ROY, the one that matters the most..

This one is voted on by the fans..AP ROY is by writers...which means Harvin will win....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

ga, no doubt Landry had a few "Wtf" moments when trying to tackle, but with the coaching overhaul and especially if they get Haslett in here, that stuff is either going to get fixed, or they will ship him the hell outta here.

All I'm saying is give the guy one more year under a new trio of defensive coaches and see how he does, if he's still playing with his head up his ass, fine send him on his way. But one more year for the #6 overall pick in 2007 isn't much to ask.

It took three years for the light to go for Taylor. Add to that they finally put the man in right spots on the field to make plays. They did this because they catered to his strengths, and stopped asking him to be m-f'ing Superman. And add to that they put a safety next to Taylor that complimented him well.

Laron Landry.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | January 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse
Haslett would be my #1 choice, over Zimmer.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Do we think there is another team out there foolish enough to hire Mora jr as HC?

Is he going to be the Rich Kotite of this era?

Posted by: sfskin | January 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Pete Caroll to the Seahawks??

Stooopid!

I see why Frazier didn't want to interview, now....

But, if you know who you want, and he ain't a minority, WTF is a owner/GM to do? What guidance does the NFL give?

I am now guessing that Goodell was involved in this whole Redskin conspiracy.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

if anyone needs getting F-Bombed and getting an angry, nasty mean sob up in their face, its Monty. Thats where Krumrie would be beneficial to him.....

Watching him during the Chiefs camp video that ESPN/NFL network did was high comedy...guys just a mean ol basturd

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

4th, carroll ain't leavin sc for the hawks...that just ain't happening....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Giants let their DL coach go. That's someone I would want a sit down with.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"It's cool...part of the blog motion...as long as we don't get caught in RedDMV's crosshairs, we're good...."

4th Floor

Bwahahahahahah.... hahahah... te-he-he-ha-ha... aaaaaha...ha-ha..... ha

[serious face]

Shut up 4th.

I am a cool customer. Ask p1funk. Me and homie been going back and forth all day on Landry.

He kept it clean, so I did as well. It's not like just because he disagreed with me I called him 8 different motherfu_kers and told him to kill himself.

When it's brought then I take it there.

Nah mean?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Crazy draft day scenario #6658

Then we tell San Fran that they can move up and get Eric Berry if they give us both their first rounders. Then we draft C.J. Spiller and Bryan Bulaga.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

We tell the Chiefs we are taking Russell Okung unless they swap us picks and trade Glen Dorsey for Monty..etc..

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM

That's the type of wheeling and dealing I'm hoping for throughout the off-season.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Crazy draft day scenario #6658

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM |

Make it happen!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

And then he kicked him in the ding ding!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Make it happen!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I am typing a sternly worded e-mail to Shanahanigans right now!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And then the big brown shark came!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 8, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering what Stump was smoking...he says one thing and then completely contradicts the prior statement. Very W/Zoolander like indeed.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the FB we drafted out of Idaho last year- Eddie something? Sellers looks like he's about done. Even if he bounces back strong, he'll be 35 this year. Granted we have larger issues but fullback needs to be addressed.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

i'll agree with herm edwards that we need O line first and foremost.

I really like Campbell, but those who don't must at least admit he's serviceable and there isn't really anyone on his heels to be the next "franchise" guy.

colt brennan....c'mon man, maybe if he could survive an off/preseason, hasn't yet

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 8, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

When it's brought then I take it there.

Nah mean?

Posted by: RedDMV |

RedDMV please try to speak english or tell Stump to get off your computer

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | January 8, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Crazy draft day scenario #6658

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM

Fun to read and think about. I'd still rather have Okung.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 8, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Williams. I think he was on IR. Still on team, though.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Grimm is HOF finalist

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 8, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Pete Caroll will be the seahawks head
coach!!

Posted by: jiza32 | January 8, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Draft Day Scenario:
*yawn*
I get up and put on my fuzzy slipper and go down and make pancakes.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Bout to go home for the weekend, but before I do:

J-E-T-S JETS JETS ZIMMER!!

Posted by: REXskins | January 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM
=======================================
ugh, read the draft value chart please and stop dreaming

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Before he goes, I'd like his opinion about Mason, Ganther, Portis, Betts, and Cartwright.Who's worth saving, who's worth letting go, is all."

I asked Stump and here's his response:

"I'm not looking for a lot from Mason, I'm looking for a lot for him. Ganther, I'm thinking he's the sort of guy that. For now, in the NFL, you can't do better than Portis, except when you can."

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

OK this doesn't make sense; you're saying that LaRon should be a FS and pass defense is his strong suit?? He's been burnt toast more times in pass D than I can recall. His true strength is as a strong safety. He'll never be the player that 21 was, not the same athlete or half the instincts/football IQ.

It's been 3 seasons, cut your losses on Dirty 30. Get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick, get a large salary off the books, put in Horton and Doughty, groom a young safety thru the draft.

The only good thing about LL is that he has a pet spidermonkey.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Nah mean?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 3:49 PM

I was just pulling ur chain MAN.....lls..And I got the RedDMV reaction I expected...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

you 2 bama chicks wanna take your slap fight elsewhere....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

4th, carroll ain't leavin sc for the hawks...that just ain't happening....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 3:46 PM

ESPN is all over it.

My guess is their going to hire Carrol and pay a $2Mil fine for not getting a minority to interview....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The only good thing about LL is that he has a pet spidermonkey.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

And his F-650 super diesel. Im not to into trucks but that thang can Get-R-Done

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

When it's brought then I take it there.

Nah mean?

Posted by: RedDMV |

Never a need to get explicit...unless maybe when you're telling pabrian to go do something to himself.

But I can't get uncool with Red.

I know he's psyched to see the Terps kick the Noles on Sunday like me.

Fear it.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

4th, coeds, and cali, versus seattle....seems easy to me....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Crazy draft day scenario #6658

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 3:52 PM

Okung goes to Detroit.

Suh is going to Tampa Bay.

Unless we trade down, I think we are looking at a QB at #4.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

With all the talk of Krummie. Didn't it say that Haslett was in running for the DC? If so, and I may be wrong (only once in a millenium, joke joke joke) but wann't he DC for the Saints? If so NO THANKS. If not what is his track record? Anyone?

Why does Shanny always have wannabes as DC's. That would be a big concern for me.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 8, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Okung goes to Detroit.

Suh is going to Tampa Bay.

Unless we trade down, I think we are looking at a QB at #4.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Most all the talk I've seen is that its gonna go:

#1 Suh DT
#2 McCoy DT
#3 Berry S

And then us, most mocks have us going QB but I think unless we sign a bunch of lineman in free agency that pick is going to be a Tackle.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 8, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

If Carrol goes sabans gonna win another championship next year. No one to stop him.

Mrmoe what were u thinking writing that about ur mrs????

Posted by: dealer1 | January 8, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Most all the talk I've seen is that its gonna go:

#1 Suh DT
#2 McCoy DT
#3 Berry S

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 8, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why but the Lions have been extremely hesitent to replace Jeff Backus. I think they know if they draft a left tackle then they lose him. He's already stated he will not move inside to guard and with Cherilus on the other side there's nowhere else for him to go but out the door. If he leaves then they are stuck with his contract. Some idiot signed him to a 6 year 40 million dollar deal in 2006.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

4th, coeds, and cali, versus seattle....seems easy to me....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 4:55 PM

See my original comments up top...Re: Stooopid..

But hey, if they offer him between $6 - 7Mil...he'd be stooopid not to take it as well....It shouldn't be more than a 2/3 hour flight back to SoCal...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 8, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

pfunk, keep your mind on football and not me "doing something to myself"

I'm married, to a woman, sorry to break your heart.

Stay focused, this ones about football, there r other blogs for what you got on your mind

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 8, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I think Carrol will go because he knows sanctions are coming down on SC, so now is the time to get out.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

My bad, Reality, maybe I just didn't grok your drifting oilslick..
Last night I needa vacation,
I'm campaigning for the final quip,
These world is doomed, itsa needsa vacation,
Fyd a way,
to unite these Skins, yeahhhh,
My DKs over here-aaaa,
MYYYY DKs OVER HERE-HERE-AAAAAA!!!

Posted by: frak | January 8, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

If Shanahan thinks he is a good as Gibbs he should be able to manage with Campbell and Colt Brennan ... until the OL is built ... NO to drafting QBs. Lineman. Corners. KICKER!

Posted by: periculum | January 8, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Pete Carroll to the Seahawks !!! Book it

Posted by: jiza32 | January 8, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Pete Caroll to the Seahawks??

Stooopid!

I see why Frazier didn't want to interview, now....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Part of the Rooney rule thinking was that the interview experience itself is important, even if the candidate doesn't get the job. Jerry Gray interviews in 2009 and didn't get the job. But the next time he is a candidate, he has interview experience, which will help him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Pete Carroll to the Seahawks !!! Book it

Posted by: jiza32 | January 8, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY QB Shanahan drafted between 2000 and 2008 in the top 5 rounds was Cutler.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM

Don't bet the House, they all look like Joe Public picks.

Posted by: bhoang888 | January 8, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

my friend's mother's half-sister's hairdresser saw Jerry Gray getting on a flight to Seattle. Now I know its not Gray's style to interview for vacant HC job, but maybe he was asked to interview before Mora got axed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Just saw on Yahoo sports that Russ Grimm is a HOF finalist again. He better make it this year. Anyone know who presents for him?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 8, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

LL owns a spider monkey, an F-650 super diesel and a Lambrogini? Is he 12 years old?

Posted by: mack1 | January 8, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

periculum would you draft CB ahead of FS? I'm thinking FS is a glaring need that wasn't exposed until late in the season, but man was it exposed.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 8, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

I agree with that thought whole heartedly. Everyone wants to blame certain players for everything that went wrong. Not only Landry but how about haynesworth. These two have been beaten to a pulp not because they are bad players and played accordingly but because they are capable players i believe more than capable but were used way outside of their style of play. To expect them to meet their potential it is up to the coaches to put them in the best possible situation to use there abilities correctly. Give these guys a year under a coach that will use there talents instead of "sticking to the scheme" before we cast them off as busts and wasted spots on the roster.

Posted by: SkinsRealist1 | January 8, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Several Moc Drafts have the Rams taking Clausen. I would not be surprised to see Rosenfels with the Redskins, he was backup to Shaub in Houston last year. Already is familiar with the offensive scheme. Campbeel will be tendered but I bet Campbell has told his agent to do anything he can to get him out of DC.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | January 8, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Shanny, don't bother meeting with Stan Hixon, just show that guy the door.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 8, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout Jim Zorn for new coach of the Seahawks??????

Posted by: DeployedFan | January 9, 2010 3:16 AM | Report abuse