Shaun Alexander Coming To Town

Shaun Alexander, the former NFL rushing champ and MVP, is heading to Washington for a workout on Tuesday, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Alexander has strong ties to coach Jim Zorn and RB Coach Stump Mitchell from their time together in Seattle. He has been passed on by most of the league following some injuries and unproductive seasons, but with Ladell Betts out at least a few weeks with a knee sprain, the Skins are going to give him a look.

If he's in good shape, he could very well be signed (I could see a Rob Jackson/Justin Tryon type headed to the practice squad to make room for an extra RB, or maybe they let a depth safety like Justin Hamilton go). When Betts comes back the Skins could let him go; if Alexander is productive, then maybe they find a way to keep him around.

That's down the line of course. But with Clinton Portis being used like sledgehammer and Zorn favoring a two-headed attack at RB, and with Rock Cartwright having so few carries in his NFL career, the Skins have opted to give this a shot.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 13, 2008; 8:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts' Injury Not Serious
Next: Ruminations on Alexander

Comments

Curtis Grapewood, we hardly knew ye!

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to Alexander. Washed up.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

If you don't carry a third RB, what's your contingency plan?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Sign him for the veteren's minuim. That's all we can afford.

If he want's more, he's short. That bama ain't signing here. He's soft anyway.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Sign Mason off Bmore's practice squad. He knows the offense and will give us some punch to spell Portis and Rock for a couple of weeks!

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

They should re-sign Marcus Mason from the Ravens PS instead.

Posted by: Birdlives | October 13, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

If indeed Ladell is only expected to miss a couple weeks, I don't see why we'd sign SA. He's 31 and has taken a huge pounding in his 8-9 yrs in the league. I don't think he's worth the $1 million or so (even prorated) he'd likely ask for. I think Rock can handle backup for a couple weeks. Would rather not put Tryon or Jackson on the practice squad - doesn't thta open them to getting signed by someone else?

Just my opinion.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for getting Mason if we can. That's what I said on an earlier thread.

What's the rule for signing a player off another practice squad?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Even though he knows Zorn and the Seattle offense, how does that help him here? We kept the skins running game, but how about blocking and RB routes in the passing game? Will Seattle experience transfer there?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

How about Bernie Parmalee? He's had about a decade off rest, legs oughta be fairly fresh

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Tryon is picked up by another team. He is TERRIBLE! I would love to see Marcus Mason back with the Skins.

Posted by: dcwun | October 13, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Look if it doesn't work out we always have the Rock to fall back on for a game hile we look for someone else. The rules on practise squad players is they are under contract to that team and you have to trade for them like anyone ele. Who would you trade for Marcus Mason? HE should have stayed and signed to our practice squad if he couldnt make a team. He didn't so let him rot in the sorry Ravens PS, sitting home on Sunday watching the Redskins.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | October 13, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Sign him for the veteren's minuim. That's all we can afford.

If he want's more, he's short. That bama ain't signing here. He's soft anyway.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 8:11 PM |

LOL... Man, I miss the DMV.

Bringing Shaun Alexander in for a look... ummmm no. He wouldn't provide the change of pace Betts' brings and he's lost quite a bit of tread from his tires from his time spent in Seattle.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Place Kelly on the IR and let him learn from the sidelines.
2. Sign Mason (the cheaper alternative to Alexander) from the Ravens' PSquad to the active roster until Betts is able to return then move him to our practice squad.

Sound like a winner?

Posted by: JinxMan | October 13, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Alexander runs like a girl. Ever since he won MVP and got that big contract he has been soft. Remember the playoff game where we gave him a concussion and he didn't play but was able to jump around on the sidelines. Hopefully he is out of shape.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 13, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

3. One Mason is moved to our PSquad, sign McMullen or Mix to a FA deal since they know our playbook.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 13, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to trade for a practice squad player. You can sign any team's practice squad players to your active roster. If the the Skins wanted to add Marcus Mason to the active roster, Baltimore could only keep him if they signed him to the 53 man roster.

Posted by: dcwun | October 13, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

He lost to the Rams!!!

I told you so about Jason Campbell....unfortunately :(

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 13, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah pin the loss on Campbell. You sir are a complete f'n moron.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 13, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Guru, you are reaching a bit to criticize Campbell. He still has ZERO turnovers. Give credit where it's due.

Posted by: dcwun | October 13, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

He lost to the Rams!!!

I told you so about Jason Campbell....unfortunately :(

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 13, 2008 8:26 PM |

My vote for biggest d-bag of the year award.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Rock is on every special team unit. He'd also get work as the number 2 RB. Mason was let go I think because he was sound on his assignments (see D Thomas). Alexander at the minimum might be a better option.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

This is where someone gets paid the big bucks... if you're comfortable going into a game (with Portis being as hard a hitter as he is) with the knowledge that you're one play away from having Rock be your #1 RB and #1 kick returner and special teams all-everything, then you can wait for Betts.
Otherwise, you need to make a move... you can go for someone like Mason, who knows the offense but clearly has some limitations (blocking?), and hasn't shown anything on special teams.
Or you can go for Alexander, who still probably has something in the tank; maybe not a whole season's worth, but something.

If you're Mason, do you leap at the opportunity, even if it seems like a two-week fill-in?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:06 PM

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Looks like B Edwards is hyped for this game.

Posted by: TWISI | October 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

WHA? This move would be mad tard....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't even pay Guru any mind. He's clearly just trying to stir the pot. Anyone who knows anything about football knows Campbell was not even close to the reason we lost.

As for Mason vs. Alexander...are those our only options - a talented but unproven rookie or a washed up former All Pro?? There has to be another way...if that's the choice though, I'd rather see what Mason can do. Less risk (salary-wise) and more to gain, I think.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

How about Lawrence Phillips? Upstanding citizen, loads of talent. No doubt hungry for another chance.

If not, I'd bring in Parmalee (Bernie, not Jared) or Christian Okoye.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we are back to being the doormat of the NFC East.

Osi Umenyiora was asked tonight on Monday Night Countdown which team in the NFC East is the biggest competition for the Giants....Osi said "after what happened to the Cowboys yesterday (not sure if he meant the loss or the injuries or both)I would say the Eagles." So what happened to the Redskins who beat both teams???

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 13, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

LISA WHO CARES??????????????????????

I am constantly amazed at how you take offense at the dumbest crappe! Not to mention we play better when we are doubted....

I hope we are 32 in every power ranking and get dissed all week.....

Please everyone, doubt us, hate on us, ignore us, bash us, look past us...

Lisa how'd we play after a week of HJs????

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

sweet INT!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Agree with your point Chris, but I don't think she is whining about it...take a vali um bro!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Think contingency people; Portis goes down with a ... let's say shoulder injury... early in the Browns game.

Your plan was for a heavy does of Portis + the occasional Rock appearance. You need to keep rock somewhat fresh for Teams. Do you want Mason for a game and a half or Alexander? What if Portis had to go on IR?

I'm not sold on Alexander -- I don't scout high school players or near-retirees; I just don't have the resources -- but I can see the logic. So you work him out, make a decision, and see how it goes.

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Good news, we still have our 3rd round pick so if Alexander still has legs we can give that Seattle.

Well, that is if we don't have to use our 3rd round pick to trade for a punter.

(I'm joking)

Posted by: isnadd | October 13, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Riggo!

Posted by: CTCapsFan | October 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Can he punt?

Posted by: srmcnamara | October 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

JZ apparently does not trust Mason.

And I'm sure Greg(boston) would agree......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude i am high octaine! Lisa post every transgression against the team like they mean anything. Also lisa and i like to scrap....

no valium needed, although i would gladly accept one.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Well I am out here in Seatle and can tell you for a fact Alexander has plenty left. The only thing that has hurt him in the last 2 years was injuries most of which were brought on by playing behind an o-line that was ranked 30th in run blocking. He is finally healthy and ready to go. As to the soft stuff, well I would ike to see any of you or most Rbs run on a borken foot for 2 years. Let alone gain over 200 yards in a game like he did. He will deffinately help you guys.

Posted by: dadc43 | October 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

double nigerian nightmare reference, blog and MNF....i loved watching that dude...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

yea, that was pretty sweet, the Okoye shout out....good karma

I hear you Chris. I also love the Skins dissing/hating. It only bodes well for us.

GO BROWNS

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry, I was simply commenting - not whining. And most of the comments I make like that are just...comments.

But you continually go off on me (and everyone else on the blog) if we do not agree with you. It gets really tiresome. You can have the blog, Chris Larry. I will not make anymore comments. Have at it.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Let's go dudu Browns! I've never seen a team commit so many procedure penalties. Good thing about the Skins loss yesterday, is that this is a definite wake up call. And what happened to Santana Moss the passed two games? Got to get him back in the mix somehow. And the Cowboys have a whole heck of alot injuries hittin them this year.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 13, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I, tto, would like to see any of us play on a "borken" foot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

But Lisa, you monitor the media so I don't have to!

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

oh lisa give me a break, were just having fun.....and check the text i never said whining.......just asked you why we should care when people bash.....

and how many time have you said you were quiting posting? please don't you a great poster. life is about having opinions and scrapping it out....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Lisa, keep bringing it, kid. No worries!

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I could stop Brandon Jacobs. With a blunderbuss.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

ok Lisa i am sorry if i upset you, the LAST thing i would want would you to leave.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

depending on how he looks and if you could give him just the vet minimum, why not? give betts ample time to recover and have 3 very good running backs, it might be a little over kill, but that never hurt anyone, and I don't think SA would mind being third string behind betts as long as he is getting that $$$

Posted by: theFreshinAU | October 13, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Which team would we rather face?

A beaten and dejected 1-4 Browns, or a confident team who just beat the defending SB champs on national TV. I'm hoping for the former.

Weighing in on the rb dilemma, if Portis were to go on IR, I'd have to consider Alexander, or some other proven back. Otherwise, I'd certainly consider Mason as a back-up.

Stephen Davis still around??

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

If a ball is deflected but the receiver has a chance to still make a play on it but is interfered with...still no penalty?

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

once tipped, mauling is acceptable...i switched to caps game....how'd browns score???

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Question: If the Packers cut Frost is he a better option for the Skins than some journeyman who is currently out of the game?

He's a better holder than Durant.
And, he shares many of our dislike for the front office.

Posted by: isnadd | October 13, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

oh shoot forgot about the caps game, don't think I will be getting that on tv down here in alabama. keep me updated please.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | October 13, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

B edwards took about a 60 yd fly to the 3 yd line. J lewis punched it in.

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

We need a guy like S Rogers in their!

Watching Bradshaw run, we're going to ned to hit him before he gets started. He's a friggin bull.

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe Eli Manning doesn't have a broken leg right now.

Cap won 5 - 1 vs. Vancouver...they played really strong from start to finish. If we get decent goaltending this year our offense is going to rock it.

Posted by: isnadd | October 13, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

We need a guy like S Rogers in their.

My bad...there :-)

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

If Shaun Alexander had anything left, would the SeaHawks have gotten rid of him?

Vinny better shut his mouth about who we are cutting and stay off of the radio and get busy finding doing what he is supposed to do!

Mason, not Alexander

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

We need a guy like S Rogers in their!

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:39 PM | Report

I swear I have not been drinking!

spelling errors! Should be there and need.

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Add me to the growing list for bringing back Mason. As for the punter, where's Brooks Barnard, the Terp punter, who lead the ACC in punting? Give him a tryout, see what he can do.

Posted by: jag523 | October 13, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Browns win tonight. Bank on it.

Also, it looks like Alexander is signed tomorrow morning. He would've been signed today, but Vinny had a show to prep for...

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The Browns scare me this week. If we give Anderson time to throw, he gets 300 on us and we lose 28-24.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen Trung Candidate ?

Dspinx posting as Earl Sugarloaf III

Posted by: dspinx | October 13, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Barnard was working in the student center giving tours to pre-froshes at College Park.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

yo freash AU...tonight's caps game was on Versus which is national...you might have it on your cable. due to #8 mania i bet caps aRE on vs a good amount...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Browns win tonight. Bank on it.

CAN I BET THE RENT MONEY?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Mason won't sign, he's still mad at vinny for cutting him. I just called mason and h he doesn't like the va area. The coaches down there gave him money under the table to stay. THE SKINS HAVE CONTACTED MASON BUT TURNED DOWN THE CONTRACT> YES HE OPTED OUT COMMING BACK TO DC

Posted by: poolman1200000 | October 13, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Isn't McMullen still on the Seahawks?

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

To answer my own question, yes. He's listed as a starter on Seattle's offense.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

But McMullen hasn't had a catch in October, and probably hasn't been on the field a whole lot since the Hawks long-term receivers have come back.

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

here's one vote for bringing Herb Mul-Key in for a workout before SA

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 13, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

No chance Frost is back. He hates the FO and they probably aren't big fans of him either.

I guess the Browns-Giants is a win-win for us...either we keep pace or the Browns come in even more deflated. I'm still rooting for them to win - a close loss gives them a lot of confidence.

Poolman, you know Mason? No chance he'd come back?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

So Vinny is looking for a RB?

Robert Gillespie?

Sultan McCullough?

Chad MOrton?
maybe he is healed up from his injuries while here?
Sure never did anything here but collect big contract!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

POOLMAN! I WAS TRYING TO SEE IF I COULD GET YOUR RENT MONEY BACK. RICH SAYS "BANK ON IT".

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

McMullen wasn't activated for the GB game, but you know its bad when we're talking about a 6th string WR at 10:20 on a monday night.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 13, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Now you want Alexander as a 6th-string WR?

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Sultan McCullough, what happened to him? Thought he was gonna be somebody.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice pass Eli.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 13, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

heeeeeee haaaaaaa!!!!!! Eli of old is gold for us!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, I was a kid; and do remember Mul-Key

George Allen made this guy a DC area hero.
George loved to talk about how players were drafted and over-rated and he would hold these FA tryouts and Mul-key from no college was found in one of these.

He was fast and I recall him returning a Kick off for a TD once.
I think he might have been on the roster maybe three years.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with bringing Shaun Alexander in for a workout. If he's in good shape, he could provide a decent backup for Portis.

However, this seems to be a curious move if Betts is only out for a couple of weeks. You'd think that Rock could hold down the fort at backup RB for that long.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 13, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

oc for the browns should be fired

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't see them signing Alexander if they don't think that he is shockingly better than everyone thinks. Did Alexander work out with any other teams this year?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Poolman, please, I'm sure a player would rather stay on a practice squad then actually play!!! Brother, you must've lost your melon... I like the idea of Alexander. He's got to be healthy at this point,... but no one else has gone after him is the scary thing..

Cosom, if the ball is tipped all players are live, no PI or Holding will be inforced after the tip

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

best case scenerieo I could see. SA looks like he is in old form giving us 2 monster RB's, they sign him and then start shopping Betts for a CB or something we need.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I call them as I see them. This is now 3 times he's let one of his linemen cost us a touchdown or make a bonehead play that gives the other team a touchdown.

A field general, Jason Campbell is not.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 13, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

hey BJ just tip toed for a first down!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

Interesting thought about Betts, although he's one of Gibbs "Core Redskins"... but he has a contract that any team would love to take on for a potential front line runner, plus Betts may take that opportunity in hopes of re-negotiating it with a new team... Although Alexander is a little old in RB terms to do something like that would be pretty silly. I'm like most people who are still intrigued with Mason's running skills. Alexander would be a nice rental for the remainder if healthy though, for Vet minimum.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Eli will foreever chase his bull horn moment

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Brooks will get sent to the IR? Malcolm Kelly too? For Brooks, I think it's all between his ears now... save him on the IR, give him another year to do what he did in College... I know it's not college, but come on, kicking is kicking... the kid has a strong leg...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

how exactly is Kendal grabbing the ball & trying to run an aspect of field generalness? Is he supposed to order him to not fumble and magicly make sure he did not catch the ball?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

BJ?

Bryan Johnson?

Brad Johnson?

Billy [White Shoes] Johnson

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I always feel conflicted as a fan of both Betts and the Skins. Betts should be a starter, but not over a CP, so maybe he should for some team with a joke Run game, think Detroit.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

brandon Jacobs

Btw I literally ran into sellers about an hour ago I wasn't looking where I was going and bam!!! That dude is kinda big

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I do think that the mistake is that he was a rookie punter and yes its 100% psychological. If IR is the closest thing we can do to Red Shirting the kid why not

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

dealer, I know thats a lie, if u ran into 45 than you would still be KO'ed

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, I knew it was NYG Brandon Jacobs.

I was having fun thinking of older Redskins who used to have initials BJ

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

What about Marcus Mason? Where is he now?

Posted by: mwstovall | October 13, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

so why hasn't jason given us any of his "insider" information?

This is "RI", right?

Posted by: craig2 | October 13, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Browns and jints are making me appreciate our team

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd be interested QA's the NFL has to check on IR entries? Is it a coincidence that he suddenly has pain in his kicking leg?? After they said he punted well in practice all week, then doesn't in the game? Heck, protect our 6th Rd investment. I'm still not mad at Vinny for that pick. Field position has killed us the past 2 yrs. Why not take a chance on him? He gets a bogey since Horton almost became Mr. Irrelevant!!!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

did the browns open every 1st down with a penalty this drive?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord - just put the MNF game back on and all I have seen is random offense penalties by the Browns and they're at home! That is about 3-4 false starts!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 13, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

omg!!! 5th penaltyy on this drive

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

pound it in with Lewis and I am GTG

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

10 penalties for 55 yards

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness this will be a short week for the Brownies.... Fed Ex needs to be rocking this Sunday,... it was dead yesterday. I blame the fans for the fumbles and lack of focus.... Time for Fed Ex to get the wrecking ball, and rebuild on the RFK site...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Back to mmok1 - ?

I have a sad story to tell. I know everyone was bummed after yesterday but I had to quit watching the game after Portis' second touchdown because I had a futbol game (I warmed up in the parking lot listening to the car radio as long as i could). I checked my cell phone the first time I subbed out and MISREAD THE TEXT MESSAGE FROM WAPO. I thought we had won! I was so happy - tra la la. Then when I got home and my cowboy-fan-other-half had great pleasure in bursting my bubble. I was double depressed I think. At least the cowboys lost, romo broke his finger, and the giants are losing......

Posted by: mmok1 | October 13, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

alex, yous right maybe I was mistaken

I'm loving seeing antonio pierce on this drive

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

sweet!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the NFC East was reading their own press clippings..

Can't wait to hear the dumb pundits jumping on the NFC South bandwagon since it seems to be the "Hot" conference now!!!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

4th, sorry buddy don't mean to pour it on!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

nno you are right for the drive I was giving the full game #

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

CLE ahead 26-14 over NYG. Could we have a miracle tonight? If NYG manages to lose, with DAL having lost, then the Redskins are the winner. PHL gains a game on all three teams, but WAS holds the tiebreaker over DAL.

But this CLE team is playing well. WAS better not take them for granted.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Vinny needs a punter?

No problem:

Kelly Goodburn is available

Hey I recall Joe Theismann being forced into duty up in Chicago. Tough windy day, and Joey T pops it up into the wind so it goes virtually no where, I think it was something like a 5 yard punt!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

don't like the numbers on the helmet

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Alexander - why not? if not giving up draft picks.

SportsGuru - I really don't mind you so much because everyone is allowed to have an opinion but really - how is Campbell supposed to tell Kendall not to catch the ball. And I don't even blame Kendall - he was in the moment - if he had rumbled in for a long gain or a touchdown - we'd all be using Kendall's name in many different forms while driving up the post count.

Posted by: mmok1 | October 13, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Great story about Kelly Goodburn. I was sitting in the players family section in the old BUD ENDZONE at RFK, and he shanked one ( it was a night game, maybe against the cowboys ) I was cursing like a sailor and was screaming that he be cut and a member of his family was sitting right in front of me. The irony, he was cut the next day......Boy was that a blast from the past.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

1439 left at CLE. CLE ahead of NYG 27-14.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Brownies save some penalties for next week!

Herb Mul-Key #23? How about Charlie Harraway #31

Posted by: cosomfla | October 13, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Give Rock a chance for Pete's sake! He's always stepped up and shown he could get it done before!

Oh.. and Cerrato's a PUTZ who has put his ego ahead of what's best for this team!

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 13, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

dealer its a college look isnt it? like those philly throwback helmets last year.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

NYG threatening and heading toward the CLE endzone. Will CLE find a way to give this game away?

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

ugh ray ray, don't remind me of that theisman punt....ouch!

speaking of jinxes, my buddy didn't wear his theisman t-shirt this week after 4 straight....he wont make that mistake again...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

this game is not over.....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

int td cle

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

PICK 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

TD CLE off an INT!! God is within the Redskins tonight. But WAS better be ready for this CLE team next week.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

WoooooooHooooooo!!! I LOVE YOU ELI!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

#23 Brig Owens S
#31 Clarence Vaughn CB

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

now it is!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Geez-o-flip. Let's play the Giants next week instead of the Browns!

Who'd of thunk????

After this weekend, kind of makes you wonder why the NFC East is so great.

Posted by: M00SE | October 13, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, this has NOT been the NFC East's week-- but if we're gonna lose-- I'm lovin' it!!!

This Browns game is tons of fun to watch-- the Gints are self-destructing; and given how many false starts there have been, I'm surprised the Browns have hung in there.

The good news is that they'll be gassed next week.

Posted by: TDawg1 | October 13, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

ROCK plays on every special teams, and is a valuable asset, and can't spell CP and do Teams.... I suppose he could, but I'm not sure they'd want to use him that way...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

cl, it's over now lmao!!! Woohooo!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

ugh ray ray, don't remind me of that theisman punt....ouch!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 13, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

What are real friends for, right?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Victorino says you throw at my head, I'll park one in right for a 2 Run jack to tie it up at 5 in the Top of the 8th.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

It looks the CLE team channeled STL's DB to do what they did to the Redskins.

I bet that they must be cheering in Ashburn, while also reminding themselves that the Browns are a serious opponent.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Biggest sports story of the day:

Red Sox have Lester on the mound to go up 2-1 at Fenway.

Rays win 9-1!!!

Wow!

Rays now up 2-1

this is same Rays team that never won more than 70 games in a season [always losing at least 90] and now the very next year they are two games won away from the World Series??'

Another Wow!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Ints are killers

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:18 PM

Who cares? Baseball bores me to death. Take that crap to a different blog.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

lets all hope that Romo's finger gets infected and needs amputation or something.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 13, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, well, this game is over.
Skins lose to Rams
Browns defeat Giants
skins will be ready to play Sunday, folks!

Good night.
HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | October 13, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

NYG threatening with a little under 6:00 left. Even if they get a TD, should CLE get a couple first downs, the game is over.

Unless CLE channels its inner CIN Bengals aura, they should win.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

1975,

Dude, relax!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's add some pain to the girls. Sam Turd has to have surgery on his ankle. Another cowpie down. Bye bye playoffs...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

No urgency on the part of the NYG. They've literally blown 2:00 minutes on this drive. Even if they score they have blown literally lots of precious minutes.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

NYG fails on 4th down. CLE gets the ball back. Three or four first downs should end this game.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm relaxed. Baseball sux!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

CLE has a 3rd down with 3:02 left deep in their own territory. NYG has only one TO left, I think.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

CLE gets the first down. This one's done.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

2:00 left in CLE. CLE ahead by 35-14. WAS lucks out. With DAL and NYG losing the STL loss becomes less painful. The team is no worse off than it was a week ago, although I still fear that the STL loss may come back to haunt them.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Browns beating Giants is best of all worlds. Giants get an L, keeping division within reach. Browns no longer can be qualified as another potential "sleeping giant,"so the skins will recognize they have a legit opponent and hopefully get a little more focus and intensity.

Posted by: AlexBerger1 | October 13, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

So move on past that comment if you don't like it....

FYI, Philly 7 LA 5 Bot of 8th & Lidge is warming up.....

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 13, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

This last first down should end it.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Here endeth the Philadelphia Eagles pity party, in which the other three NFC East teams decided to lose to lesser opponents and give the last-place Eagles back a game in the standings.

You know, because we're all so doggone nice and everything.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 13, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Final kneel-down should end this.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

'Aint football the greatest darn game in the world!!!!!!!!!

What a blast!

Posted by: craig2 | October 13, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, AlexB.

Here's hoping the Skins are as angry and embarrassed about yesterday's loss as we are.

And here's hoping the Browns, having just "won their Super Bowl," are as full of themselves this week as the Skins apparently were last week.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 13, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

So, is it better to:
1. Stage a late comeback, tie the game as time expires, and lose your QB and punter and the game in the space of five minutes
G. Get smacked in the mouth repeatedly and lose to a 1-3 team by 21 points
^. Play pretty darn poorly and lose by one as time expires.

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Well this upcoming game isn't going to be the gimme that WAS thinks it is. While I am sure that they are celebrating in Ashburn right now, I also hope that they take this upcoming game more seriously than they did the last one.

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

So, is it better to:
G. Get smacked in the mouth repeatedly and lose to a 1-3 team by 21 points
^. Play pretty darn poorly and lose by one as time expires.

Posted by: daggar | October 13, 2008 11:40 PM |

I'd say the first one hurts the worst but to me a loss is a loss.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiacinto | October 13, 2008 11:41 PM |

I hope after the last game they weren't thinking any game is a gimme.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Skins need to stop dropping ints. No one else inthe league drops as many easy ints. Its so frustrating. Browns are the most undisciplined teams I've seen this year. D has got to make them pay and the O has to take care of the ball.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 13, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Terrell Davis just made himself sound like an idiot, he said "the Giants played well".

NO they didn't, they got whipped. Eli with THREE PICKS, ONE FOR A TD.

What an idiot!

Posted by: craig2 | October 13, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Please learn the rules. The are free to be signed by any team WITHOUT COMPENSATION..

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 13, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH BRING IN SA FOR A LOOK SEE..He maybe the runner that gives Portis that break because he catches thge ball out of the back field really well..Also Mason would also work for us and at a far lesser amount..This will surely be nice to watch where this is heading..

Posted by: Dkessler1 | October 14, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

i saw we have an uproar like we did when we thought Fassel was going to be the coach!!!

Posted by: merajc86 | October 14, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

i know it was me. i know it. i killed the blog didn't i?!! doggammit!!! sorry! you betcha!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 14, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Well well... look at what happened to the (at the moment) undefeated almighty superbowl champs, you, three turnovers can ruin your day

Posted by: arbano1 | October 14, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

given the state of Seattle's running game now.......Was it Alexander or was it the Line in front of him that caused his horrid performance the last 2 years??

I say put him behind the Skins line if he's cheap and see what happens.

That is granted he has stayed in shape. He already knows the system probably

Posted by: goosedude | October 14, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

I dunno if he knows the system but he is a north south runner. there are 6 plays that he needs to know to do that, gut left, gut right, off guard left, off guard right, off tackle left, off tackle right.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2008 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Let's give it a try. Not sure about Alexander knowing the offense, though. Remember it's Washington's running game, not Seattle's.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 14, 2008 6:47 AM | Report abuse

quick note from seattle times.

Alexander visited New Orleans and Cincinnati in the offseason, but neither signed him. He also visited Detroit after the season began. Now he's headed to Washington, where he would play for coach Jim Zorn, who was Seattle's quarterbacks coach while Alexander was here.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Romo out 4 weeks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 14, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Why not MARCUS MASON!!!!!!!!!?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 14, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

beep beep....gonna be a busy day...
putting out a request for a shaun alexander haiku...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 14, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

JLC,

Couple of items, I really enjoyed your bit on CSN-HD over the weekend before the game. I particularly enjoyed seeing you and Jason Reid poke fun at Troy Aikman and his professional analysis and take on the Rams; he said that the Skins (whom I’m life long fan of) needed to be very careful of the Rams and I watched you and the other Jason mock and ridicule him. I guess he made CLOWNS out of the 2 of you. Sure it’s fun on paper to put check marks in the win column vs. the losses, but you still need to show up on Sunday and beat the other team; especially when you “should”. I respect Troy Aikman for his professionalism and analysis of the game, something you could stand to learn.

Other item, bringing Marcus Mason back makes the most sense (and getting back from Baltimore) only if they feel Rock Cartwright can’t handle the added work or if they feel it would affect his kick returning abilities. Why is he not handling punts as well? Anyone.
If they pick up Mason now and utilize him for a while can they re-assign him to their own practice squad or does he need to be on the active roster for the duration of the season (and potentially cut/released if they need the roster spot)?

In closing, if anybody would have said 4-1 going into the Rams game we would all having been ready to put Zorn up on our shoulders. Let them play the games one at a time; we’ll then see where they end up. They caught a huge break this weekend with the Cowboys and Giants losing, had they only not looked ahead like so many did…Right Jason(s)!

Posted by: alwaysaskinsfan | October 14, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse