Posted at 6:37 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Shaun Rogers to meet with Redskins

By Mike Jones

A league source confirmed that the Redskins will host three-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Shaun Rogers for an exploratory meeting tomorrow.

The 10-year veteran was released by the Cleveland Browns and wouldn't have to wait for a new CBA to sign with a new team, but the talks are said to be extremely preliminary and a signing isn't expected to come immediately.

The Redskins are in the market for a nose tackle following the failed Albert Haynesworth experiment. Rogers, who will turn 32 next month, played end for Cleveland last year but has the ability to play nose tackle as well.

By Mike Jones  | February 10, 2011; 6:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins making plans to move training camp
Next: Roster analysis: What's Shaun Rogers worth?

Comments

Wouldn't be the FIRST time we went after a big name...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 10, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Shanahan and Haslett, having spent the past year together, can agree on what they're looking for by way of talent and attitude, in the context of our defensive scheme. If Shaun Rogers fits the bill, bring him on.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Mike Jones!

Holy moley, would ya look at that!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Like I said yesterday, I'm kinda torn on Rogers...on the one hand, we REALLY need a quality NT...on the other hand, this guy has all the potential in the world to be the next big training camp soap opera (anyone think he'll finish his conditioning test in the first try?). I hope we can draft a guy to start at NT right away, but if not Rogers could be a good stop gap if we can get him on the cheap.

Regarding the training camp question in the last thread, PAskinsfan17 can back me on this: the Carlisle area (and southcentral PA on the whole) is prime spot to expand the fanbase...that area has no pro football team of its own and is within 3 hours driving distance of the stadiums for the Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, and Redskins. Bringing the Skins back to Carlisle not only provides a competitive advantage, but is also provides a chance at expanding "Redskins Nation" even further north. There's literally no downside to making that a reality.

Besides...what would it hurt to see if a return to Carlisle leads to a return to glory?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 10, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I have not seen any official announcement, but I'm going to assume MJ has officially got the Blog gig (Since his picture and name adorn the header!).

Congrats. I have only seen a couple posts so far but I think that you will do a far better job than your predecessor.

And let's be honest...if Reid got a columnist spot based in part on his work here, you should have several Pulitzers, part ownership of the WAPO and your choice of ESPN, NFLN, SI or NY Times jobs within 18 months.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

anyone think he'll finish his conditioning test in the first try?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 10, 2011 6:58 PM

Remember that if he comes to OTAs he doesn't have to take the conditioning test.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the 'SKINS don't want to HAVE to draft a NT with their first or second which probably means they prefer a QB with the top pick and a OLB to match with ORAKPO with the second, or a FS, or an OT, or a C, or.....well, you get the picture.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 10, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

...but a loss is a loss.

Posted by: dcg326 | February 10, 2011 6:30 PM
__________

And a horse is a horse, Wilbur. And this brings us back to SJ Parker.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | February 10, 2011 7:08 PM | Report abuse

32 years old? He'll fit in perfectly.

Posted by: tjack55 | February 10, 2011 7:09 PM | Report abuse

MIKE JONES

Official or not, congrats.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 10, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

As an unrestricted free agent, Rogers is eligible to sign with anyone until March 4, the expiration of the CBA. On that date, there will be no more player movement. Because of the uncertainty that lies ahead, some teams have shied away from doing any new contracts. It remains to be seen if the Redskins will operate that way.
ESPN

Posted by: abxinc

Let's hope they have the sense to be prudent and wait. Rogers is a bit too old, has too many miles, has had some injuries and will want big dough. Hopefully our cornerstone NT will come in the 2nd round, whenever that may be.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 10, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Mike Mayock on Cam Newton's Media Day: "I'd offer one cautionary note: JaMarcus Russell had the best Pro Day I ever saw.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Mike Jones actually smiles, while J-Reid makes everything about the redskins seem more depressing than it needs to be. The last decade, the redskins have one more playoff win than the cowboys, while they only have one more division title. And both teams have had 5 ten loss seasons, including the 6-10 record this year. But their media hypes the cowboys up (people are talking about them as a "bounce back" team) while our media creates a pessimistic outlook. Mike Jones, you cannot possible do worse than J-Reid.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | February 10, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

So beeps research paid off. Mike Jones it is. So far so good, I haven't noticed any axe grinding or bias one way or another. Similarities? Well, a "league source" and persons with "knowledge of the situation." I can live with that. Welcome Mr. Jones. Good luck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Yep dude is all flash

Posted by: skinswillwin | February 10, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Rogers

Pros-
- Rogers earned a Pro-Bowl in 2008 - Broke his leg in 2009
- 6'4" 350 lbs. - Saw a huge dip in stats in 2010 from previous years (NTs don't have big stats anyway)
- He can't be worse than Ma'ake Kemoeatu. - Has a history of not getting along with coaches.
- Versatile: Has played DE & NT in 3-4 and DT 4-3 (with Detroit) - Only played ~25 snaps a game last year. Not highly effective in those snaps either. (CLE's rushing D ranked 27th anyway)

Cons-
- Rarely attended full practices despite playing most games. Showed a real lazy attitude.
- Was arrested last April for carrying a gun into Cleveland airport.
- Busted in 2006 for steroids and suspended 4 games
- In 2006 an exotic stripper filed charges against Rogers she was inappropriately touched. Charges later dropped.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It would be irresponsible of the Redskins to not at least kick the tires of a NT. Haviong said that let's hope they kick him on down the road too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

TWISI- You're right..

Russellmania09 Chris Russell
@ @Diesel__44 Yes they absolutely can because his contract was terminated by #Browns Re: Rogers sign now w/ #Redskins?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I just had a ridiculously good food, albeit late food cart lunch.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this about Rogers...And if any of you can think back you should remember this...When we played CLE a couple years back (Year 1 of the Zorn)...CLE was not good, and we were thinking we had a playoff team at that point in time.

They damn near beat us in that game and Rogers tore us apart...he was all over the field. And he is also a beast blocking kicks.

I have no issue if we sign him to a huge incentive laden deal....in fact it may a very smart move signing him in this no man's land period we are in right now.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 7:32 PM | Report

The incentive laden contract is the only acceptable way to bring Rogers on board.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

My appetite is incentive laden.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 7:36 PM

Last year I was all for making a trade for Rogers and flipping first round picks. This year I'm not as enthused about getting Rogers. He might make sense if they see him as a piece to the puzzle, not the linchpin

Posted by: TWISI | February 10, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'm not afraid to post what I ate for lunch up here. Look at my track record.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

With the slim to fair chance that Mr. Haney might actually be with us next year, would you really want those two anchoring the D line, taking plays off whenever it suits them? From play to play, both are capable of beasting out, and both are capable of disappearing.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 10, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, a "league source" and persons with "knowledge of the situation."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 7:18 PM

I may have to change my handle again.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll be beasting out the digested shards of my ridiculously good food cart lunch into my toilet bowl here in a hot minute.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys DC Ryan had no problems with Shaun Rogers
By
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

Cleveland on Wednesday released mammoth nose tackle Shaun Rogers, who had an injury-riddled and disappointing season. New Cowboys' defensive coordinator Rob Ryan ran the Cleveland defense for the last two seasons and professed to like Rogers even during the unproductive season that raised questions about his effort and attitude.

Ryan said during a mid-December media briefing last season that he had no issues with how Rogers played.

``He doesn't need to be in front, doesn't want to be in front,'' Ryan said. ``There are some guys that like to be in front, if you don't know they'll tell you about it. There are guys like that and coaches like that, but some people like to sit back. He (Rogers) does that. He likes his teammates to get all the glory.
``I just wish we had him where he could practice all the time, where he could be healthy. It would be great to see because he really is a dominating force. He's won games for us just by his effort. ''

According to media reports, Washington has already approached Rogers.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 8:01 PM | Report abuse

He's coming off an injury-riddled and disappointing season? Sounds like he does fit the bill, bring him on.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYPDee | February 10, 2011 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't think AH is here in 2011, so that checks that off the list.

Second, Rogers has always seemed more like a street thug, real bad @ss type malcontent to me, whereas Albert has been a whiny B*tch fake type malcontent.

I have nothing whatsoever to base this on, just a feeling I get from observing the league.

Rogers seems genuinely mean, AH seems like a petulant teenage punk. I'm fine bringing Rogers in, obviously Shanahan does not want another AH scenario, so I'm gonna leave it up to him. I'm sure he's ecstatic to have my support BTW.

ONe last thing...I watch a lot of Browns games, and I've seen Rogers try far more in his career than I ever saw Albert try.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Rogers is a bit too old, has too many miles, has had several injuries and will want big dough.

Signing Jones is a no-brainer.

Having him means you still take a defensive lineman later in the draft.

You go with Carriker-Jones-Holliday/AH as your line.

Bryant, Jarmon, and Golston are your back ups.

Not that this would be the best d-line in the NFC East.

But it would be much improved over what we had last year as we'll have a nice NT rotation of Bryant-Jones centering the line.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

MOe...

I think Jones will do fine anchoring the blog.

Anchoring the line? I'm not sold.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I just dropped some big dough into my Portland commode. Kerplunk!!!

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Jones you speak of Moe? It's such an unusual name that I can't pick him out.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Talk about an anchor! Gee my bathroom isn't going anywhere. Not enough flushing power, even for erudite liberal like myself.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was asking for double duty from Mike Jones- Blog Leader.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 10, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Welcome, Mike Jones! Holy Moley. You're photogenic. What a smile!

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Jones does look like a big boy from his photo. But I don't know about him as a NT.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 10, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

In 2006, an exotic stripper filed charges against Rogers she was inappropriately touched.

Question of the Day:

How does one 'inappropriately touch' an exotic dancer?

Their remuneration is derived from said touching, isn't it?

You touch her, doesn't cost you that much.

She touches you, well, then we start talkin' serious money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Question of the Day:

How does one 'inappropriately touch' an exotic dancer?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:21 PM |

You press your penis into her ear.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 8:23 PM | Report abuse

You press your penis into her ear.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 10, 2011 8:23 PM

...without paying first.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"I was down at the New Amsterdam staring at this yellow-haired girl. Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation with this black-haired flamenco dancer."

Well we all know the rest by heart.

"She's looking at you. Uh, I don't think so. She's looking at me."

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW, congrats to Mr. Jones on the promotion. I'm sure he'll do fine. He has very small shoes to fill.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 10, 2011 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Well we all know the rest by heart.

"She's looking at you. Uh, I don't think so. She's looking at me."

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Pass me a bottle Mr. Jones...especially if we start signing a lot of Shaun Rogers types.

I am going on the record as being against this...which probably means he will be All-Pro.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Jones will do fine anchoring the blog....Anchoring the line? I'm not sold.

I'm not suggesting Jones is some anchor, but a guy in a rotation.

A NT rotation of Jones-Bryant-rookie is what I'm about.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

You press your penis into her ear.

This is what happens when blind men pay for fellatio from a scheming hooker.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Some of the singers are bringing the heat on Idol tonight.

I'm surprised that I've never heard anyone sing "The Weight" by The Band. Great song and Aretha Franklin has an amazing version.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Is this the same Shaun Rogers that was arrested at Hopkins International Airport after a loaded .45 was found in his carry-on luggage? Bring him on by all means as that was so April 02, 2010.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

So does Allison Krauss w/ Old Crow Medicine Show.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

We need some depth on the D-line, looking at him, hurts nothing, if the price is right I don't think he is too old to help us, especially with weight.

By the way, in some earlier post by: iH8dallas regarding Torain being a beast and our O-line being a strength, I COSIGN.

I THINK WE ARE CLOSER TO BEING AN OFFENSIVE POWERHOUSE THAN EVERYONE THINKS....BOOK YOUR PLAYOFF TICKETS FOR THE 2011-2012 SEASON. BOOK THEM, BABY, BOOK THEM.

Posted by: rodskin | February 10, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse

N.F.L. Labor Negotiations Abruptly Canceled

By KEN BELSON

Efforts to jump-start N.F.L. labor talks seem to have stalled just days after the owners and players promised to work harder to reach a deal before the collective bargaining agreement expires on March 3.

All-day meetings scheduled for Thursday were abruptly canceled, raising doubts that the two sides were any closer to reaching a compromise in their standoff of more than two years.

With the threat of a lockout looming, neither side appears to have made headway in the dispute over how to divide the league’s $9 billion in revenue.

If anything, the two sides may be farther apart. Wednesday’s meeting in Washington broke down well before its scheduled close.

The owners came close to walking out after the players rejected their proposal for an additional $1 billion in spending credits.

They were also frustrated by a proposal by the players to eliminate spending credits and simply split all revenue down the middle.

Under the current system, the players get almost 60 percent of all revenue after $1 billion is subtracted for expenses the owners incur.

Factoring in that deduction, the players receive about half of the league’s remaining revenue.

The union and the league held conference calls with their constituencies on Thursday. No other meetings are scheduled.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, what in the h e double hockey sticks is the Redskins front office thinking bringing Shaun Rogers in for a meeting? What are they going to discuss? Will someone please tell me what these men in charge are thinking? The Redskins, of all teams, have no business taking this large fellow on. They shouldn't be talking to people like him at all, et al.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

A 32-year-old dirtbag who's best days are long behind him and got kicked out of CLEVELAND, for God's sake.

Yep, sounds like a Danny signing.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | February 10, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 8:53 PM

You're dying up here. You got nothing. You need to take it and leave.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

PR does not stand for Phuking Retarded. Will this team that I love to pieces ever learn how to relate to the public? It's as if context is a lake from which they refuse to fish.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rodskin | February 10, 2011 8:47 PM | Report abuse

co-sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Just trying to poke some fun. Why do you have to get your vag all sandy? You're worse than some whiney dive ass lib, beep. Lighten up.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

BOOK YOUR PLAYOFF TICKETS FOR THE 2011-2012 SEASON. BOOK THEM, BABY, BOOK THEM.

Posted by: rodskin | February 10, 2011 8:47 PM

Make sure that you don't pay good money for temporary seats, though.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

You need to take it and leave.

Posted by: beep-beep

Where did I attack anyone? Like I said I was just poking some fun, Sorry if you didn't appreciate the humor, beep. Have a good night.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Pass on Shaun Rogers. The dude was good in his prime but now he is injury prone and lazy. Let some other team pay out the big bucks.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 10, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Redskins should take a look at this guy:

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

beepish = the act of being sandy in the vag

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Redskins should take a look at this guy:

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

That was a cool video, kid is really accurate.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

If Shaun Rogers fits the bill, bring him on.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2011 6:52 PM |
----------

uh, duh. I think he's looking for a carry on baggage load of cash, duh

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Diesel@ 7:19, the cons sound like they could describe Haynesworth and HE'S still on the roster. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You bring that grass in to replace your grass, and the next thing you know Adam Archuleta is wearing burgundy and gold and Ryan Clark is playing in someone else's Super Bowl.

No gracias with Sheriff Plaxico Rogers. Anthony Bryant is my NT until further notice and I want Howard Green back.

Posted by: dcsween | February 10, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

NerdinthePDX = hessone

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody can be accurate with no pass rush and I bet that video required multiple takes to make. Not that impressed. We need some big guys down on the line.

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

My phone won't play the video. Who is it?

Posted by: dcsween | February 10, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Redskins should take a look at this guy:

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

WTF are you talking about. He's never thrown a collegiate pass, is a JR, and is their 3rd string QB.

Don't be stupid.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Was watching highlights of some of the draft prospects. The guy that really popped out was Kerrigan from Purdue.

However Tonya Harding bashing his knee will be a red flag.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

NerdinthePDX = hessone

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 9:47 PM

It's Chia you nincompoop

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 9:57 PM | Report abuse

hessone=me-1

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Redskins should take a look at this guy:

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't be stupid.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up Diesel44. You're probably the only one who couldn't discern that I was merely posting a video that I thought was entertaining.

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

It's Chia you nincompoop

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 9:57 PM

No, Chia wouldn't do Nate. They're tight.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 10, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nrjlh | February 10, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I hit submit I suffered from immediate regret. Apologies..

I've been cutting weight and even my beautiful wife is hating me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I hit submit I suffered from immediate regret. Apologies..

I've been cutting weight and even my beautiful wife is hating me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse
Trying out for the wrestling team?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Email the pest and run him/me off again. Didn't he/me post it up here?

chchchia@gmail.com

Posted by: NerdinthePDX | February 10, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

ih8- I want fight one professional MMA fight at 205 and then retire (local show still regulated). And with that I'll never talk about it again.

Me hungry.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Me hungry.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Dude are you serious?

That's awesome, what kind of training do you have?

And good luck, I'd sh_t my pants if I stepped into the octagon.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I8h- yes....Started training 2 years ago because I was tired of going to the gym. And after owning dudes that have done it much longer need to check it off the list.

enough about me, I'm not P_F who in his small mind has boned more chicks than Stamos and Mario Lopez combined..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to you, it's always cool to take something off the bucket list.

On my bucket list is to catch an anaconda in Venezuela. It sounds ridiculous, but after seeing locals do it on TV, I want to catch a 25 footer.

However it may be easier to catch a python in the Florida everglades.

And most importantly do you have a nickname yet?

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

ih8- Diesel, dummy..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 10:49 PM | Report abuse

This team will never learn if they sign this guy for anything other then a backup. How can we do the same damn thing over and over again but expect different results.

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 10, 2011 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

This is a must watch for any Skins fan.

A couple of thoughts..

KW needs to shed 10LBs and his quickness will improve. 4:20 mark.

Impossible to underthrow AA.

If you didn't already know BB is the truth.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Hello everyone, new poster here. I've been reading this blog for a while though...
It doesn't hurt taking a look at rodgers, but personally I'd like to see us signing soliai from the dolphins. He's supposed to be a free agent an he's only 26.

Posted by: leaguesource | February 10, 2011 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that, I meant to say released NT/DT Shaun Rogers, not superbowl winning quarterback Rodgers.

Posted by: leaguesource | February 10, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Soliai would be a much better option I think. Good call

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 10, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

KW needs to shed 10LBs and his quickness will improve. 4:20 mark.

Impossible to underthrow AA.

If you didn't already know BB is the truth.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 10, 2011 11:32 PM | Report abuse

What I love about Shanny is that we will always have a productive running back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 10, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Dude. You should probably mention why the Browns released him. Overweight and injury prone. not to mention an off field issue where he was arrested for possession of a hand gun in an airport. Wouldn't signing this guy be more of the same old thinking? Let someone else sign him.

Posted by: themantoyou | February 10, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

...and we're off...outta the gates

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 11, 2011 12:02 AM | Report abuse

id take AM81 over t.o. any day, AM81 wouldntna got punked by ST21 like t.o. did, that woulda been a battle though haha

thats why besides rice and randy moss at wr, i go w/ AM81 in an all time fantasy draft when pickin wr, i mean you cant go wrong w/ that there

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 11, 2011 12:25 AM | Report abuse

A) He'll never have to take a conditioning test if he's an Ego-han signee.
B) How long until Ego-han compares him to a Hall of Famer?
C) Can we assume that he then would get benched before the season is over in favor of someone who couldn't get off the bench in Houston last year?

Posted by: DC2Dallas | February 11, 2011 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Mr. Jones will be so relieved. These are standard journalism devices used to protect sources. Sources are to journalism what CI's are to cops. You can't get your work done without them, and identifying them by name can get them killed, rhetorically or otherwise.

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2011 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Sign him up! Pay him $200,000,000. Ensure he can accommodate a two DUI per year minimum, and don't forget some dalliance with a strip dancer. Top it off with a quick lie down on the field and slapping a few drivers around. Now, that's Redskins football!

Posted by: 44fx2901 | February 11, 2011 2:12 AM | Report abuse

====================================

Let someone else sign him? Are you kidding? Sounds like a perfect candidate for Snyderball.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | February 11, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the YouTube video, Diesel. Watching that, you would think we were a good team last year. Wish the whole season was like that!
Makes you think that we may actually have something to build on.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 11, 2011 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Taking a page out of the Nationals playbook...

Dumpster-Diving!!

Guess they figured the Nats won 10-times as many games as the Skins did. They must know something.

Posted by: noslok | February 11, 2011 2:57 AM | Report abuse

brownwood:

Getting ROGERS might be a good thing. If he's packing, he just might convince HAYNESWORTH to fish [play] or cut bait [get the hell out of town].

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 11, 2011 4:45 AM | Report abuse

gl, you're crazy if you think Haynesworth can be motivated by anything other than money and hookers. Plus, Rogers is a NT...AH steadfastly refuses to play that spot so it's no direct competition to him anyway.

As I said before...I see the value in getting a guy of this caliber at a position of desperate need but there's too many question marks involved for me to feel good about it. Glad I'm not the one having to make the call on this guy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 5:47 AM | Report abuse

If he signs cheap, incentive based contract with little guaranteed money then getting Rogers would be a good thing.

He has huge talent to go along with a massive frame. However, he has had problems with coaches in the past, been described as lazy and ill-disciplined and some of his off field behaviour suggest he isn't that bright.

To me he looks like a fatter version of Haynesworth. If he has contract incentives he might contribute to the team but it is crucial that we can cut him without damaging our cap position.

That is presuming there is a cap, we might not even get a season. I think we might just be heading for baseball strike levels of stupidity as the league shoots itself in the foot and union cuts its own nose off.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 11, 2011 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Glad I'm not the one having to make the call on this guy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 5:47 AM

Is there a new policy now that the new guy is here? I thought that here at RI EVERYONE had to make a call on any free agent the 'Skins bring in. I was just getting a scouting report off of Wikipedia, and now I don't have to use it? I'm not sure I like this.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 11, 2011 5:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | February 11, 2011 5:55 AM

Yup. Sounds like he and Shanahan would get along REALLY well...

The more I think about it, the less I can see this happening...I mean, Shanahan thinks McNabb is too lazy to be one of "his guys" so how would Rogers work out?

But then again, he did bring in JaMarcus Russell for a workout...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 6:31 AM | Report abuse

with a roster as dilapidated as the redskins, you kick every tire possible, whether it's low on air or over-inflated. just say no to shaun rogers and move on to the next project

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 6:39 AM | Report abuse

If they DIDN'T meet with Rogers, and he signed with Philly, all of you would blame Snyder again. You are an impossible group...the one thing this tells us is that AH is NOT playing NT next year....I still think, if he was willing, he would make a Dominant 3-4 DE. If he's not willing to trim the weight and move outside there are lots of other options, F/A or the Draft.

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 11, 2011 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen will not sign this guy today, he is simply trying to get the market for him going.

I remember last season he would bring players in, then wait 1,2,3 weeks to either sign or not sign.

This is just a move to see if other teams are trying for him also. This will either drive Rogers' price up or down.

Allen doesn't do the Cerrato and prematurely sign in about 15 seconds like me my first time.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Glad I'm not the one having to make the call on this guy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 5:47 AM

I think I'd prefer you making the decision instead of Shanahan. He has a bad track record when it comes to former Cleveland Brown defensive linemen.
I know he's had good seasons and I'll stipulate that I don't know how to evaluate a NT's performance, but when I hear "32, a reputation of laziness and head-butting with coaches, and gun and stripper problems in his recent past"...I'm hoping we'll pass. An organization with momentum and a winning culture in full bloom might be able to stiffle the bad and bring out the good in a guy like that. We aren't there yet and the stink from the AH92 debacle hasn't cleared the locker room yet. Context is everything in situations like this and I'm thinking now is not the time and Ashburn isn't the place for this guy this season.

These playoffs were a great primer for REdskins fans trying to learn about the 3-4. I know I was trying to learn all I could by watching the Packers and Steelers. If there is Raji or Hampton in the draft (I don't know if there is or isn't) make sure you get him...even if it means a mini-reach @ #10. If he truly can bring to our defense what those guys do for theirs...he won't seem like a reach for long.

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 11, 2011 7:17 AM | Report abuse

32 year old NTs don't sign incentive laiden contracts. If the Redskins get one out of him I will buy my son a Bruce Allen costume for Halloween.

Posted by: wewbank1 | February 11, 2011 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Again, I am on the record as being on the "Don't sign Rogers" side.

Anthony Bryant is our NT.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm just imagining another conditioning test. The one last year was awesome.

The bathroom break! Dude took a bathroom break!

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Bryant is our NT.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:20 AM

Ok.

Any other mediocre players you'd like to prop up? Will Robinson? Maybe promote Banks to #1 WR?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Idoit Fans still wanting Defensive players when its offensive linemen that the team needs.

Dude is 30 been hurt for the last two season.

Yep thats the kind of player the Skins would go after.

Posted by: shamken | February 11, 2011 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shamken | February 11, 2011 7:33 AM

Um, did you see ANY of last season? If you think the defense is OK, YOU'RE the idiot fan.

We need a FS, at least one CB, a pass rushing OLB, at least two DEs and a NT. Yeah, how dare we address defense...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Again, I am on the record as being on the "Don't sign Rogers" side.

Anthony Bryant is our NT.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:20 AM
------------------------------------------
Bryant is a good guy to throw in the rotation, but that fat bastard couldn't play a whole game without falling into cardiac arrest. What's he pushing? 370? I'll grant you he did okay clogging up the middle last year and I remember seeing him jump a lane to make a tackle, but come on. Dude is only part of the answer.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2011 2:11 AM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah, but Cork you have to admit that sometimes around here those words sure sounded like a metaphor for "pulling this one out of my keister".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 7:55 AM

To be honest, I've never understood why so many up here think this...just about every journalist I've ever heard of has "sources" or knows people with "knowledge of the situation". EVERYBODY does that...Schefter, Clayton, Lombardi--ALL of them. Just because JReid probably was pulling it out of his ass doesn't mean that the terms themselves aren't credible.

I mean, it's like calling in sick...just because you've got that one person in the office faking it on the regular doesn't mean that everyone is. Sometimes someone really is sick...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Off topic. Someone put up the non-division schedule yesterday. It showed 5 home and 5 away games which seems to indicate a 16 game schedule. Does this mean the owners have abandoned the 18 game schedule as a consession in the CBA? Does the Post have a reporter that could look into this for us??
Oh and yes to Shaun Rogers and get a young NT in the draft

Posted by: wireman65 | February 11, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Bryant is our NT.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 7:20 AM

Ok.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 7:28 AM
------------------------------------------
Will Robinson got picked up by Seattle mid-season so he's not our guy to kick around any more. Pity, too. I thought the guy had some potential. I used to kick around Rob Jackson as the Redskins' most under achieving player, but then they moved him to linebacker and the dude actually didn't look all that bad.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 7:55 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:02 AM
------------------------------------------
I agree. Just saying Reid's keister received a lot of action, that's all.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow, we have a celebrity as the Editor of RI, nice tackle on Dyson to win the SB for the Rams! Welcome aboard!

Call me crazy, but I'd like an actual Redskins fan to be the Editor on here. I guess we're moving in the right direction, it's better than the Cowboy fan Reid.

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | February 11, 2011 8:05 AM

If they go to an 18-game schedule, it won't happen before 2012. They may not have a CBA before April, let alone a way to account for two extra games before the 2011 schedule is released.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:08 AM |
-------------------------------------------
When all is said and done, I think the word will come out that Reid was really Haynesworth's secret "love gimp".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Aretha Franklin has an amazing version.

I'll be the first to advocate signing the rotund Ms. Franklin to play in a NT rotation featuring her, Bryant-Rogers.

She is a Natural Woman, after all, she PEDS aren't a thing to worry about.

And if she gets winded during the condition drill, I'll just remind her that unless she passes it, she'll never get our r-e-s-p-e-c-t.

(INSERT rimshot audio and bad joke groan and angry shouts of "That Uncle Tom went after an cultural icon during Black History Month!!!Get'em off the stage!" as Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield works his 8 Mile Motown tie while complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

monk811 = Internet Tough Guy

Sign Shaun Rogers today!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

it's better than the Cowboy fan Reid.

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:08 AM

Um, isn't Reid from California? He's a USC guy, you'd think he'd be a Niner fan...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:23 AM

Freakin dallas fans are every...like cockroaches.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

monk811 = Internet Tough Guy

Sign Shaun Rogers today!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHA, good one GayAction!

Who can I start an argument with today???

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Who can I start an argument with today???

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:29 AM

I say we throw down today? It's friday!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Mike Jones is the new RI King.

What ever happened to Jason Reid, the old RI King?

Dude quit on us without a "This is it for me, fellas" posting.

Talk about hubris!

Talk about giving RI the finga!

Jason Reid was the old RI King.

But for leaving without a "G-byuh!," he's more like Rodney King.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I grew up, worked and lived in the DC area for 39 years...I'm a lifelong 'Skins fan.
For the last six years, I've lived in the Cleveland area and watched SR since he arrived from Detroit. He has had some great moments here but at 32 years old with his "conditioning" and regular physical breakdown, any GM who signs him to anything more than a one year contract for anything other than an incentive based deal is an absolute idiot. May I introduce Mr. Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder to you?
Shades of Haynesworth are all over this deal...you poor fans will have an ongoing sense of deja vu if SR gets signed...
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is called ________well Dan Snyder of course and we can't forget his lapdog, Bruce Allen

Posted by: michaelmto | February 11, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

it's better than the Cowboy fan Reid.

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:08 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, he must be a little confused then!

Some of us joked on here that he liked other teams, cause he talked about Dallas a lot, and also he wore blue in his picture on here so for a little while we joked that he liked the Giants. I do agree that Reid and Haynesworth are too buddy-buddy.

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute! Didn't Cleveland dump this guy for the EXACT SAME REASONS that the 'Skins are dumping Haynesworth??? Replacing one tubby recalcitrant with another makes NO sense, and perpetuates the problem! This is PRECISELY how we got into the AB mess in the first place. Don't do it, Bruce!!! Draft a high-character kid & mold him. There's plenty of nose-tackle talent in this draft!

Posted by: DCtoDE | February 11, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

PlayAction & monk811 = social maladies

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

great piece in the latest SI regarding Jack Plummer...some very brief touch's on Bruce Allen, and Shanny....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 11, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 11, 2011 12:25 AM

#81, covered by #21? Now, there's a match-up I'd pay to see!

Everytime there was contact, there would be an earthquake in D*ll*s and we can all agree that would be a good thing...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 11, 2011 8:49 AM | Report abuse

He (S Rogers) has had some great moments here....any GM who signs him to anything more than a one year contract for anything other than an incentive based deal is an absolute idiot.

Idiots abound come FA.

Those of us who are football aware hear you, but see Shaun Rogers as a stop gap measure.

He is not a wanted savior, just a dude who can rotate in and out ot be there should Bryant get hurt.

If he's signed, the redskins would feature two plus 29 players (A Bryant is 29) at the NT position: meaning that the signing should be followed by the drafting of a 'swing' dt player who can be groomed into a NT under the wing of 2 vets.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

meant to say Jake Plummer...Jack is his less famous cousin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 11, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Idiots abound come FA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 8:50 AM |
---------------

moe

mcnabb was a stop gap player, and we all know how that turned out. sign players to stick, not fill in

agree with you on NT or DE/DT in the draft

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:55 AM | Report abuse

meant to say Jake Plummer...Jack is his less famous cousin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 11, 2011 8:52 AM |
--------

jack is the guy that fixes toilets

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Idiots abound come FA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 8:50 AM | Report abuse

A lot of people don't realize that there is more than 1 page to the depth chart. Look at Pitt and Baltimore and even San Diego. They all run 3-4 defenses and all are 3 deep at NT. We have 1 NT. Even if we draft a NT we would still only have 2 NTs. We should see if we can get Rogers for a good price. That would give us 3 NTs. The difference between Shanallen and the other regime is that we won't overpay for him. If we sign him it will be a modest contract. I'd be surprised if we sign him. Houston could very well overpay him and he wants to be in Texas. Dallas could use him too. I think we'll offer him what he's worth and if he signs then great. If not then o well we won't lose any sleep over it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 11, 2011 8:57 AM | Report abuse

(Puts Devil's advocate hat on...)

Carricker / Shaun Rogers / Albert

Von Miller (dreaming, I know!) / Riley / Fletch / Orakpo

Line depth; Bryant, Holliday, Golston, Jarmon, Joseph, Kemo (if recovered).

LB depth; Carter, Lorenzo, Blades, Henson, Jackson, Wilson. Maybe a FA or two would help.

Not the worst group in the world, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them cut loose for new blood.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 11, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a fanShaun Rogers. He's lazy and has a bad attitude and his talent no longer makes up for that.

I'm also not a fan of flipping out over bringing a guy in for a meeting.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 11, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Rogers was moved to end in the 3-4 scheme because he doen't play NT well. And it doesn't seem he fit that position well either. I say sign him, keep AH, and go back to a 4-3. Let the defense dominate! Go Skins!

Posted by: torch282 | February 11, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

STAY AWAY! Why would a bad team let go of a Pro-Bowl type player, receive nothing for compensation, in the middle on labor unrest?

Dude is toxic. Having him does not equal playoffs. Stay the course, build through the draft, as much as possible w/o 3rd and 4th rd picks.

Blow it up. Develop of long term plan. Stop selling jerseys and hope. Build a solid core, starting with the lines, and let us get behind some young guys who play hard.

Posted by: saltine182 | February 11, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1

While we are awaiting the Draft, I'll make the following prediction:

AL East (finish, Fall 2011)

Boston

Tampa

Baltimore

New York

Toronto

analysis:

The Sawx have the best line up in MLB. Their pitching doesn't have to be stellar if they score--and they will.

The O's will be much improved, especially with Vlad. Scoring and some young pitchers rounding into form, should earn the team a few more wins.

Tampa will score more, but still not have what it takes to surpass Boston--they are the AL Wild Card. They will have some other great young pitcher and position player step up.

The Yanks will fix their pitching issues with Nova and Banuelos: two young'ns.

But the Yanks are a team slowly transitioning.

The dependence on older vets will hurt them late in the season.

In the real world, you don't extend a slumping vet named Jeter.

But baseball is not in the real world.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

PlayAction & monk811 = social maladies

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Man, I was trying to get through one day without using a dictionary!!!
Smaller words please!

SAVE THE DICTIONARIES!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan

Thanks, PA.

Signing SR mjust means you save a draft pick and build depth.

He should be a one year redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

If he's cheap. Only if he's cheap.

Stockpile pics. Establish the system. Screw the record.

Maybe in two years we'll have something. Don't expect anything next year, CBA or no.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

moe, tampa ain't coming in 2nd, they got eviscerated this offseason...Crawford, Pena, Garza, Wheeler, thats a HUGE hole in that club, they'll need to play a lot of kids this coming year....Yanks will be right there, I'm not buying that they wont have a good year...way, WAY too much talent on that club....

will say I'm anxious to see gonzo rake at the fens...as well as getting Pedroia/Youk back...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 11, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

PlayAction & monk811 = social maladies

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Man, I was trying to get through one day without using a dictionary!!!
Smaller words please!

SAVE THE DICTIONARIES!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 9:05 AM

I looked it up too...social disease is a little harsh don't you think?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Who can I start an argument with today???

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 8:29 AM

I say we throw down today? It's friday!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Just don't hit me in our face, I look too pretty for a black eye!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Shaun Rogers will visit Redskins today
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2011, 8:42 AM EST

On Thursday, Jay Glazer of FOX reported that former Browns defensive lineman Shaun Rogers may visit the Redskins.

Multiple reports since then have indicated that, indeed, Rogers will visit the Redskins.

Chris Russell of ESPN 980 was the first, as far as we can tell, to report that the Redskins will meet with Rogers on Friday. As we recently explained, veterans with four or more years of service who are released between now and March 3 become free agents and can sign with another team.

Rogers can play nose tackle or end in the Redskins’ 3-4 defense. His presence could make Albert Haynesworth expendable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure $nyder will fill bags with YOUR money to overpay for another past his prime pro-bowler.

Posted by: Ve1ostrummer | February 11, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I looked it up too...social disease is a little harsh don't you think?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Better than a venereal disease.

I think we gotta put a couple people through tables and regain some order in here Devon!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins need to stop signing players in their 30s who may only have a couple decent years left (look what happened with McNabb), and start focusing on draft picks. The young guys are the ones we can build a team with, not guys who are close to the end.

Posted by: katybissell329 | February 11, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious how all these people are gushing over Cam Newton's workout...as if a QB can look BAD when he doesn't have a pass rush coming at him, 50,000 people in the stand screaming at him, or any actual plays to run. Maybe if I put on a tie and sit in front of a mic, someone will hire me to host SportsCenter...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

pft is reporting there is a rumor out there that Favre is gonna be on Dancing with the Stars....how can we forget you, when you wont GO AWAY!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 11, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Rogers is only 32. I think he's too young to make this squad.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | February 11, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the update clownwood

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

If they can sign him cheap, then bring him in. They don't have enough draft picks this year to draft what they need so they are going to have to hit free agency hard yet again, or roll with who they already have.

Won't matter anyway there will be no football next year if the owners have anything to say about it.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 11, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 9:29 AM

I can't wait to put the Great Hessone through a table...I'll grab the ladders!

PlayAction = Internet Tough Guy

What's the problem with signing this guy for depth with incentives...just don't throw money at him.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 11, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: katybissell329 | February 11, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I kinda agree with you, but there's no problem with signing guys in their 30s, but don't give them 20 mil., I think that's been our problem in the past. We OVERPAY for those guys.

I don't have a problem with bringing in Rogers, as long as he knows his role (and shuts his mouth!!!). Since we need a 2 or 3 NT rotation anyway, he might be able to play all year long if he's only playing about 15 or 20 snaps a game, that'll make him more valuable. We keep Anthony Bryant, and draft a NT in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. That would be the ideal situation.

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 10:00 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

I dunno.

Newton looked fairly decent this past season while in the situation you describe.

And when you factor in the level of SEC competition, he dominated.

The real question for evaluators is, is Cam Newton a solid player or JaMarcus Russell?

I say is 'solid player' as unlike Russell, Newton won games with his legs and occasional improvised play.

Russell just got by while Newton has, from every account, been a hard worker.

And yes, the signs of his trying to create a marketing machine centered around him a la LeBron annoy.

But it also means he's willing to make himself work to make it all happen: a good sign to me.

And unlike Jason Campbell, Newton didn't have a Brown or Williams or McNeil or Grubbs--all future NFL players--haelping him.

I'd draft Newton and put him in an NFL spread type system (see Green Bay, NE, Indy) and let him make plays.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Cam doesn't look like a syrup kind of guy, looks more like a crack pipe carrying member!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Newton didn't do too much to impress me in teh chumpiognong chip.

He'll make someone a great addition, I'm sure. But is he the QB for this style team? meh...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan

Thanks, PA.

Signing SR mjust means you save a draft pick and build depth.

He should be a one year redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 9:07 AM
------------------------------------------
Acutally signing a player who will be injured most of the time chews up a roster spot (see CP) you could be using for a young, up and coming, healthy player. Signing a guy with a crappy attitude also leads to dissension in the ranks and destroys team unity (see Al Haynesworth). Signing a guy for big bucks and who doesn't produce tells the younger players, what? (see, again, Al Haynesworth)

For these reasons, you let Shaun Rogers walk. The only way he comes to Washington is with a small salary with lots of incentives and Rogers' agent will never agree to any of that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Newton didn't do too much to impress me in teh chumpiognong chip.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Buffalo take him and run some of that option stuff with Spiller. It would be kind of like what VY and Chris Johnson were doing in Tennessee only Newton can also pass. I think that would fit his skill set.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 11, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 9:39 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, the guy choreographed his audition and will probably sit out of most activities at the combine. It's like going to a job interview where you will only answer questions you rehearsed: "Sorry, I didn't review the answer to that question - we'll have to move on to the next one. Weren't you going to ask me if I were a fruit, what fruit I would be?"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle

But is he the QB for this style team? meh...

I think C Ponder is the best type of quarterback for this team as it is presently configured.

But some teams will see in Newton's athleticism the chance to acquire a 6'6" Mike Vick.

They will see a guy who wants to be a media star and do the work that comes with that.

Some teams will re-tool their offense to fit what Newton or any young quarterback does in order to get him on the field ASAP.

Kyle is not inclined to do that.

Which is why I think Ponder is the best fit.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:01 AM |

Dudess - you being a chick and all (see below) perhaps you could advise the men on this here blog what they should do for their girfies on St V's day.

===============================================================

You must think outside the box ... MistaMoe is really a chick!

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | February 5, 2011 6:09 PM |

===============================================================

Posted by: ElDrano | February 11, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

moe

agree with you on NT or DE/DT in the draft

Posted by: hessone | February 11, 2011 8:55 AM

...in a perfect world my man.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 11, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:01 AM

See, that's the thing...it's not that simple. We still don't know if he can read a defense, effectively go thru progressions, or master a full NFL playbook to the point that he could be looked to as the indisputed leader of that unit. There's no drill for any of that.

I'm not saying he won't be a good QB...we won't know until he gets on the field and proves himself. All I'm sayin' is that guys like Trent Dilfer (who I respect A LOT when it comes to analyzing QBs) need not gush over the guy without giving the disclaimer that Mike Mayock did (that workouts aren't a true translation of potential NFL success).

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

No do not sign Shaun Rogers. The Redskins need to switch back to the 4-3.

Last year, right after the announced switch to 3-4,I posted that the Skins do NOT have the players,
they still do not and Shanahan has errored SERIOUSLY with his decision to switch.

Why exactly?

Because the Redskins have the most needs of basically any other NFL team, everywhere ELSE on the field. The last thing they can afford to do is draft or acquire players for a continued transition to 3-4.

You know.. the Redskins still need:

uh, like a QUATERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!! and

uh, like TWO WIDE RECEIVERS!!!!!!!!!!

O-Line help

Better running backs

at least one CB and some nickel help

another decent LB as Rocky Mac has not panned out.

People, you only get to add so many players each year, and other teams are getting better each year as well.

As long as the Redskins foolishly stay in a 3-4 they will have loosing seasons, mark my words.

It breaks my heart, but you can't run away from reality. Snyder has tried to do that for 10 years and now Shanahan is avoiding reality as well.

You guys think Shaun Rogers is the answer??? A disgruntled 10 year veteran who couldn't cut it on his on team??? Can you spell Bruce Smith?

C'mon wake up people, it is the same Snyder crap.

Trying to rebuild with the dregs of the NFL.

Wake up Shanahan!

Stop pissing away 2nd round picks for old farts like McNabb!

Bite the bullet, go back to the 4-3

Keep all yuor draft picks (actually trade Redskin dead weight for MORE draft picks, then....

BUILD a team through the draft, like all the other championship teams that have won.

Stop the madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Redskins are not just one or two old veterans away from a contending team. The current Redskin team is a mess, an unfortunately Shanahan has made them more of a mess with his ill advised switch to a 3-4 and throwing away a 2nd round pick & more for McGrandpa!

Wake up people.

Or continue to dream on.

side note:

Have I said yet what a GREAT thing it is that #55, Chis Hanburger made the HOF??? 9 Pro Bowls!

Congrats Chris, we will ALWAYS love you!

Hail To The Redskins!

Posted by: 1970sRedskin | February 11, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

SAVE THE WHALES!!!!(But not this whale)

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Really? Sign another past-his-prime overpriced over-30 year old player? They have obviously learned nothing after all these years. I'm done with this team.

Posted by: dhenken1 | February 11, 2011 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

And that's completely fine. If we can't get him for what we want to give him then let him walk. All we're saying is that we bring him work him out and offer what we think he's worth. If he gets a better offer elsewhere then so be it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 11, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Mike Jones....

Like that record said..."Who's Mike Jones"

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | February 11, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

You might as well just call the guy dumb.

And I doubt that he is.

How many quarterbacks scored high on the Wonderlic, but lacked the ability to 'make it all happen' on the field?

Tons.

Pat Ramsey came to DC with a Tulane education and Maryland Eastern Shore on field performance ability.

And nobody doubted if Ramsey could do the things you list.

Ramsey could make the reads, but, hey, he couldn't make plays with his legs when the protection broke down.

Newton can: we know that.

And, btw, film study is such that scouts can tell is a quarterback is making reads and the right throws.

And from what we've heard and read, Newton has shown the ability to do both.

I doubt the guy is dumb just like last year I doubted Sam Bradford was 'brittle'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Skin Shave,

Moe a Femullian?! You just blew mah frekkin' mind!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is Rodgers can't be any worse than that Kemo therapy we were on last season....

Bring in Rodgers and keep Big Al...play Al at DE...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | February 11, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

SAVE THE WHALES!!!!(But not this whale)

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 11, 2011 10:30 AM |

Between Mike Williams, Kemo, Anthony Bryant, Haynesworth and possibly Rogers....the redskins save more whales than Greenpeace.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | February 11, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

No do not sign Shaun Rogers. The Redskins need to switch back to the 4-3.

Posted by: 1970sRedskin | February 11, 2011 10:30 AM |
----------------------------
to add to my previous posting...

unless this happens...which i think should...and let AL play in his comfort zone and beast out...too bad Shanny's a control freak and wont consider this

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | February 11, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Oh great another 31 year old past his prime.

Posted by: MOJOMELE | February 11, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 11, 2011 10:39 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, I am pretty sure Bruce Allen already knows he cannot afford to spend what SR is asking for an over the hill, brokedown player. What I like about this approach is they bring in a lot of guys and they are prepared to let them walk if the price tag is too high. This way, they get a good feeling of what the market value is for these players. Vinny felt he had to sign every player he brought in, and overpaid in almost every case.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh great another 31 year old past his prime.

Posted by: MOJOMELE | February 11, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Dive Ass NERD Beeps!

Posted by: monk811 | February 11, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Newton can: we know that.

And from what we've heard and read, Newton has shown the ability to do both.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2011 10:40 AM
------------------------------------------
Let me point out that Sam Bradford may still prove to be brittle. Even the oft-injured Chad Pennington had the occasional full season without serious injury.

As for proof of Newton being able to read a defense is on the tape, I have to disagree. His offense at Auburn called for him to make, at most, two reads, and then pull the ball down to run.

I don't dispute the fact that the guy is a fantastic athlete, but I don't think he's plug-n-play in any NFL offense. The team that takes him will need to build an offense around him - kind of like what the Falcons did when Vick was there - and that is not what Shanahan wants to do. For all his talk of changing the scheme to fit the players, the one thing the lack of playing time for Davis has taught is that Shanny's offense isn't anywhere near as flexible as he led us to believe.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Rogers is too old. Don't sign him unless it's a bargain.

Posted by: jdumb | February 11, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Great, another overpaid THUG who may or may not choose to play hard.
I think we found our NT with big Bryant #76. His production as a starter boosted the play of Carricker.
IF they get Rogers, he should play the Left Side and they need to NOT OVERPAY HIM. Sounds like another DannyBoy Signing to me. I'd rather draft a young stud.

Posted by: bernarddeane | February 11, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

another dam castoff! this shi- is crazy.a 31 year old who was released by a sorry az team,and he ends up here.this guy shouldnt even be discussed.get the shannys out of here because this smacks of the same ole crap as before,with just a different flavor!this regime is not teh answer,i keep telling you all this.i cant believe some of you are excited about this dude possibly being signed.wake up! smell the dodo before it gags you!

Posted by: billydee123 | February 11, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

another dam castoff! this shi- is crazy.a 31 year old who was released by a sorry az team,and he ends up here.this guy shouldnt even be discussed.get the shannys out of here because this smacks of the same ole crap as before,with just a different flavor!this regime is not the answer,i keep telling you all this.i cant believe some of you are excited about this dude possibly being signed.wake up! smell the dodo before it gags you!

Posted by: billydee123 | February 11, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again...

Posted by: jmarks09 | February 11, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

You're right jmarks. Here we go again..same story, different year. We need to stop going after other people's trash. I've been a fan a long time, but I'm on the brink of becoming a Ravens fan.

Posted by: smfoster3 | February 11, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't do it! This is the same thing all over again -- get some big young guys and develop them. We're going to have the same results if we keep signing 10-year recently released free agents.

Posted by: zwheat | February 11, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Stop it. Just stop it with the big name free agents. Rebuild through the draft, unload any name brand players we have (the very few). Rebuild. Rebuild.

Posted by: gs12 | February 11, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins is a racist name.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | February 11, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Fat. Over the hill. Gets hurt, misses lots of games. Gets in trouble. Has been spoiled by his last coach. Sounds like a suitable replacement for Albert.

Posted by: Labbymalone | February 11, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse