Springs Tests Injured Calf

Cornerback Shawn Springs was in sweats, running down the sidelines, testing his torn calf muscle. He wasn't sprinting full out, but was testing it.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 16, 2008; 6:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Working Out
Next: Portis to Play; Springs Out

Comments

...sit Shawn sit ...

Posted by: bobeaston | November 16, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Play Shawn play

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | November 16, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Let's get that SECOND win over the Cowpies this year!

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

play everyone!!!

Posted by: deadskin | November 16, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Suck it up Springs and stop being a paycheck player! He needs to shut TO out again.

Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

CSN just reported that Portis IS playing....but sparingly.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I think this will be Springs last year here.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

the suspense of this game is killing me! hurry 8:15!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 16, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

FYI - the reason CP is playing sparingly is because he did not practice.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Hope he doesnt pull his vageen.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

so now the question is...do I start Betts or Portis tonight? And screw Springs...such a wimp.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Does Springs ever really WANT to play?
Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:33 PM

I’m with you on this……IMO he hasn’t really been into it at all this year….they said he was thinking about retiring this offseason. I think he’s collecting his refuse-to-renegotiate salary this year and then calling it quits….

This is the first I am hearing that he and Portis have ligament tears though….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 16, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

svxcountry1, start Betts....and Springs is not a wimp!

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Does Springs ever really WANT to play?
Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 5:33 PM

I’m with you on this……IMO he hasn’t really been into it at all this year….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 16, 2008 6:12 PM |

I don't know where you two are getting this. My impression is that he wants to play more than Obama wants to be President. And he likes to practice less than Sarah Palin would like to have an abortion. And this year? I'd read that he's dedicated this season to the memory of Sean Taylor. And, so far, his season has been worthy of that memory.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Finally, Lisa's back to help defend Shawn Springs. Now do it with your customary vigor, Lisa.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry...Springs has had the same injury for the whole time he has been with the Skins off and on. Maybe wimp is giving him a little too much credit.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:26 PM

You are sorry. Springs has started 80% of the games since he's been with the Skins. Rogers has only started 70%. Go after Rogers, not Springs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

It's not personal. He's just too injury-prone and doesn't seem driven to get on the field unless he's 100%, and he hasn't been 100% since he was a toddler. We need Springs to play TO though.

Posted by: austin987654 | November 16, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Springs has also been on the injury list as 'questionable' or 'probable' almost every week it seems. There is a reason people think hes a wimp.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Wait are you comparing a season ending injury of Rogers who is probably the comeback player of the year (at least for the Skins) vs. a lingering week-to-week injury? Wow.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Let me say this though, I think Springs is a great player and I hope he plays and shuts down TO and others like I know he can. However, my opinion with his frailty still stands.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Springs did an interview with CSN this week and he said he really wants to play in this game but that he does not want to hurt the team.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 16, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Have we heard from Alex today? Is it possible he's just staring at his new TV, unable to move, blog or blink?

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 16, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

...roll over, Shawn...roll over...

Posted by: bobeaston | November 16, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm comparing 70% to 80%. Where I live 70%

Torn calf is "lingering week-to-week" injury? You ever try to cover NFL receivers with a torn calf?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Kelli Johnson just said Springs is INACTIVE but Portis is playing.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | November 16, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 16, 2008 6:33 PM

More likely, his girlfriend made him go to a museum, do a lot of errands, cook supper, and wash the dishes.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 16, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, not to say I don't believe Springs but would you expect him to say something different?

Once again, I'm not questioning Springs ability to play, I'm questioning his ability to play through pain. And T_E I'm not talking about only his current injury. I'm talking also about past seasons...he's almost ALWAYS on the injury report on some way or another.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | November 16, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Am I wrong or id this is the first we are hearing that his calf is “torn”….seems like a torn calf would have been identified as torn a long time ago. I’m not gonna fault anyone for not playing due to a torn calf……for weeks now they’ve been saying it was a “strain”….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 16, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. Springs = useless.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse