Suisham's on a Roll

Shaun Suisham has made seven straight field goals, he was a star Sunday and as we've mentioned in the past, his kickoffs have been much improved this season. Even when he has missed on field goals, he has faced holding issues.

The guy looks like the real deal, and nailing the 50-yarder against the Eagles was no joke. Back in training camp, Suisham told me he tried to cut back on the number of kicks he attempted in the offseason,but when I approached him this week about that he was a little fuzzy.

Basically, besides working hard and focusing on his mechanics, Suisham said he has no solid explanation for his improved output.

"I really don't know what to say," Suisham said. "Obviously, I hope to improve every year, and I feel I have improved a bit with kickoffs, but I still have a lot of room for improvement and hopefully in another year you'll be asking me the same questions again."

Suisham says that he tries to limit the number of kicks he takes while warming up, and with no competition in training camp, he had to be smart about kicking during preseason. That's about it. Given how many close games the Skins tend to play, getting this kind of production out of Suisham has been clutch. If he can keep it up, he's another guy who could be earning a multi-year contract this offseason.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 7, 2008; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Last Thoughts on Eagles Game
Next: Evans Played Big Role in Stuffing Barber, Westbrook

Comments

from last thread(where it took 2 minutes and 40 seconds to take this commment):

Cindy Boren, can you please request that your paper fix this crappy blog? LoseAble type is crap, not sure why your tech people felt the need to use this software, but it was certainly a terrible decision. Trying to post a comment is like trying to watch the last drop of molasses run out of the bottle, and this thing is creating not just double posts, but triple and quadruple posts.

This can't be a desired result, can it?

re-posting from last post:

Brees - 3rd best four sacks all year(10th most attempts all year, 148)

Romo - tied for 3rd four sacks all year(fifth most attempts all year, 162)

Eli M - tied for 5th five sacks all year(15th most attempts all year, 132)

McNabb - tied for 20th 10 sacks all year(third most attempts by any QB all year, 175)

Warner - 28th 12 sacks all year(second most attempts by any QB, 183)

So 3 of the 5 QBs are among the very best at getting rid of the ball, and the other two are pretty good as well when one considers the sacks per attempt.

And just an FYI, JC is tied for 14th with 8 sacks all year, and the 8th most attempts, 158.

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Love the blog - go skins - brooks better watch it. Preseason matters.

Posted by: richmondskins | October 7, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Doran Brooks better get on the stick or he'll be on the street.

Posted by: richmondskins | October 7, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I am mad I won't get to watch the game next weekend, my grandmothers 80th birthday, I never saw the skins score 10 TD's in a game and this one is the best chance to do it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

In my limited experience I must agree with C2; losable type appears to be an Edsel.

Re: Suisham; he kick good. could lead league in points

Posted by: R_Milot | October 7, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I am Wonder what that NFL Exectutive is saying about the Ravens? I can't wait until we beat the hell out of them.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 7, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Sweezum proves the rule that as a kicker you're only as good as your last kick... fortunately for him his last kick was a doozy.

But a couple of misses and he'll be our whipping boy, again. Ah, the life of the kicker. I don't envy him.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Whodathunk that the Global Financial Crisis would affect Loseable type like this?

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Anyone see little Danny celebrating after the game? It's like the blind squirrel finally finds a nut and is convinced his plan was working all along. Now we read today that Vinny thinks the 4-1 record is proof that his offseason strategy worked.

Gawd.

These two morons aren't qualified to run a Taco Bell. But I'm willing to let them try if they'll just give up the beloved Skins.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 7, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

sorry to those of you who can't browse from work.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

sorry to those of you who can't browse from work.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

sorry to those of you who can't browse from work.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Gawd.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 7, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Dagger!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I think we were watching softcore Zorn in the preseason. Does anyone else think that he was REALLY holding back his calling of plays.

Most people use that excuse in the preseason when they suck, in Zorn's case I think this is a fact.

Three questions that ponders the mind:

1) Independence or Constitution?
2) What's the over/under on JC's multi-year deal?
3) Why do I get the feeling that this team is for real?

No need to play the "aw shucks, gee golly" role anymore fans. Forget that "stay meduium" stuff. I'm excited about this start!!

Given the fact that the 'skins in the past have been here under Norv (7-1), and got off to good starts under Gibbs 2.0, you'd think I'd have that "medium, gee golly wow" state, right? NO--why?

Because it's the past. I like my new 'Skins. Different coach, different attitude.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Red, Independence all the way. That document is one of the 5 most important things ever put "on paper".

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

diesel_skins, what is wrong with Snyder celebrating? He has been a Skins fan since childhood - and owns the team. We just beat our division rivals back to back on their turf - that is exciting!

Even Lavar Arrington said he thinks it's great that Snyder enjoys the wins so much.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 7, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

someone fix this crap!

it's unbearable!

fix the dern blog!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 7, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

someone fix this crap!

it's unbearable!

fix the dern blog!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 7, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the feedback; I've reported the problems.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 7, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I've got to go with Independence..it's got the Natural & American History Museums as well as the National Archives. You can have your botanical gardens and Smithsonian Castle. I want some real history!

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

With leaders like Moss and Portis - and with a coach who still thinks like a player sometimes - the Redskins have recaptured their old persona. On Sunday, they won without Shawn Springs, their best cover corner; Jason Taylor, their best pass rusher; and Marcus Washington, the only linebacker on the roster who has been to the Pro Bowl. They won because they believed they could. They won because they've become a team of intangibles again.

Regarding Snyder being happy they won?

He's happy they won, and somehow that gets held against him? I don't get that line of thinking?? Anything to try and bring him down I guess......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 7, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Alex, while I do share your same enthusiasm about historic documents, I was talking about the parade route in the first week of February.

Yeah, that one.

I know I'm commiting blasphemy or blogsphemy, but I've asked for it, envisioned it, claimed it, so therefor it is so.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Constitution to get into town, Independence to get out.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I would gladly sacrifice the laws of the constitution to preserve the ideals embodied in the declaration of independence.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Constitution to get into town, Independence to get out.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Is that the best you can do? Complain about the owner celebrating a win over a division rival on their own turf?

Jeesh, some people are not happy unless they can find something to complain about.

Posted by: jpatrick1 | October 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Constitution to get into town, Independence to get out.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Constitution to get into town, Independence to get out.

Posted by: daggar | October 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpatrick1 | October 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Aren't we forgetting the Suisham shanked a kick off OB and gave Philly great field position for a comeback? That could have been a momentum killer. Thank god he nailed the 52 yarder.

Posted by: edvar | October 7, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh for the parade rout. I say they should start the parade in Philadelphia, go down I-95 to DC, then come in via paddle boat and walk right across the lawn to the capitol.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 7, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

exactly jpat, exactly.

Some people just wont be satisfied, no matter what.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 7, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Lil' Danny and Vinny are the REASON the Skins 4-1 record is such a shocking surprise to the world. I'm not saying the little guy shouldn't celebrate, but he and Vinny certainly shouldn't take credit for it when they denied the blame for a decade of miserable failure. And Vinny DID take credit today, arguing that it was his plan all along.

Besides, Danny looked like George Costanza pumping his fist like that.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 7, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse