Shelton Hopes to Find a Special Teams Spot

Trent Shelton had entered discussions with the Seattle Seahawks about returning to the team and did not know the Redskins were interested until his agent called to discuss the Redskins, Shelton, who has family from the area and was familiar with the offense from Coach Jim Zorn's connections with the Seahawks was intrigued.

Although he said that the Redskins' receiver situation might be "a little better" than that of some other teams, he did not spend much time dissecting the depth chart. "At the end of day, you still got to go out here and work whether they have two receivers or 12 receivers," he said. Shelton sees special teams as his ticket to landing a permanent spot on the Redskins - "I'll do field goals if he wants me to," Shelton said.

Although he has not played in a game, Shelton, 24, has spent time on the Indianapolis and Seattle practice squads. He said he learned from Colts receiver Reggie Wayne and former Colts receiver Marvin Harrison, as well as Seahawks receivers Deion Branch, Bobby Engram and Nate Burleson.

"They really took me under their wings both times and I got to learn different routes, and I think I'm a more polished receiver and know the game better," Shelton said. "It's kind of funny. My agent had talked about [the Redskins] earlier in the year and said it was a good situation, but they hadn't contacted us."

By Zach Berman  |  May 5, 2009; 3:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: His Head 'Spinning,' Roydell Williams Starts Anew
Next: Skins Sign Bridges

Comments

And when we made the playoffs, it was because of the quarterback making quick reads and accurate throws--behind the same o-line we complain about now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2009 3:26 PM

Actually, that O-line was 2 years younger than it is now and minus 3 or 4 major injuries/surgeries. That 9-7 team was marginally better than the on fielded last year.

Regarding the playoff game, the Seattlest astutely observed:

For most of the game, the Seahawks' defensive line was able to get pressure with only four rushers. By establishing that, they were able to drop guys back into coverage, which led to the two pick sixes.

That quote sums up why the O-line must be addressed. It costs points in so many ways.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it was nice to see a positive comment on Devin Thomas' offseason progress. From SI's Don Banks

"Thomas was the highest pick in Washington's three-man, second-round draft class last year -- joining tight end Fred Davis and fellow receiver Malcolm Kelly -- and all three were huge disappointments as rookies. Thomas scored the only touchdown among the trio, and his 15 catches for 120 yards ranked sixth on the Redskins. Thomas looked much improved in a weekend minicamp, and seemed to have refined his route running. He tweaked a hamstring, but is clearly miles ahead of Kelly, who is rehabilitating from microfracture knee surgery."

Posted by: skinswest | May 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | May 5, 2009

As Moe astutely pointed out, competition (which really wasn't there last year) can only help their progression. The more, the better.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The WRs are going to be Moss, Thomas, and someone other than ARE. Thomas is going to lead the team in receptions and receiving TDs. Fred Davis is going to have more TDs than Cooley - book it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM

This is good news! From anyone other than learnedhand, I'd ask what they're smoking. From learnedhand, book it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 5, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Just because this team doesn't use Portis and Betts properly doesn't mean Portis and Betts are replaceable. As evidenced by the disastrous comeback attempt of Shaun Alexander and the completely non-existent Rock Cartwright, this team does not have the offensive line to allow 'replaceable parts' RBs to be plugged in and out of this lineup. And it wasn't just Shaun and Rock that failed under this line. Big ol' TJ Duckett failed as well. It clearly takes a capable back to turn that doughy line into the makings of apple pie. CP provides that, and so does Betts - to a lesser extent.

The issue isn't Portis and Betts, it's Zorn and how he uses them.

By the way, of the teams you named (jints, cards, stillers, titans, chargers,panthas):

The Panthers used 2 first round picks on RBs (Williams and Stewart).

The Titans used a 1st and a 2nd rounder recently (Johnson and White).

The Cardinals used a 1st (Wells) and a 2nd (JJ Arrington) recently.

If the Redskins used anything near a high selection on a RB, especially when this team is so devoid of draft selections, the GM should be fired on the spot.

Only the Giants have had an efficient use of acquiring effective RBs. What the Redskins have is more than fine.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

usually peric doesn't ruin the blog until after I've gone home for the day.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2009

As the Master said to Kwai Chang Caine, "Grasshopper, its time for you to leave"

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo looks like a BEAST in those photos. The umbrella one is hilarious, though.

"oh deah, I do seem to be getting a tad damp... cheerio"... hahahahahahaha

And while the contracts are loopy for the RBs (I hate every time I hear about an agent drooling that the 'Skins are interested...a la Roydell's agent telling him to TAKE THIS DEAL...ugh). You cannot fault a league leading rusher before his coach got cold feet.

While I agree w/ your analysis Moe, that pass attacks are what's winning, that worm is already starting to turn. I'm just not sure Zorn is the guy to eat the mezcal worm, though...

Sparano & Parcells seem to be following it, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 5, 2009

That being the case? Then make it Moss, Thomas, and Cooley with Fred Davis at tight end.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

from Moseley on ESPN:

"Washington Redskins

Offensive lineman Mike Williams is still trying to get his weight down: "My goal was to originally get down to 280," Williams said. "That was already in the process of going on. During the process, I said, 'Hey, I might as well go play football,' because I felt really good."
How did the attempted addition of Mark Sanchez affect backup quarterbacks Colt Brennan and Todd Collins? "Obviously it was harder on Jason [Campbell], but you do think, 'Where do I fit in?,'" Collins said. "But I've kind of learned not to worry too much until something happens. I'm in a lot better condition than I was last year, when I had some nagging stuff in my shoulder ... And it's so much better in the second year in [coach Jim Zorn's West Coast] offense, seeing the big picture and how everything fits."
Jason La Canfora has some signing updates.
And Albert Haynesworth is being sued for $7.5 million.
One man in North Carolina has a Washington shrine: "I don't know what voodoo the Redskins used to hunt me down after all these years, but I sure hope they use some of that witchcraft come this fall," Norris Adams said. "Their newest season-ticket holder is counting on it."

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 5, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

peri

'...both the Eagles and Giants seem to almost ALWAYS make the playoffs and often seem to go pretty far. Why? THEY HAVE RUNNING BACKS who are home run hitters on both running plays AND PASSING PLAYS....'

This validates my point.

Westbrook gets hurt, and the iggles plug in Buchalter.

They let Buchalter go, and draft LeSean McCoy.

For the jints, Tiki Barber leaves, and they get Jacobs and Ward going.

They give Jacobs decent contract upgrade and let Ward go knowing they have Bradshaw in the cut.

And with either team, not a one gave a massive contract out, which gave them the flexibility to bring in younger, faster players.

The iggles, jints and other teams aren't wedded to non-quarterback players like the skins are with players like Jansen, Portis, Samuels, and R Thomas: that's how they have the flexibility to bring in young backs, linemen, et al.

Contrast that to the skins re-working Portis' contract to where he has so much guaranteed money coming he gets a sense of entitlement.

He wants to play, but doesn't want to practice.

The team now sees that Portis doesn't have breakaway speed and can't move on because of the contract.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think at least one of the triplets, prob 2, will step up assuming the oline is respectable. But if we can get the production expected from the from Shelton, roydell, marko, whoever...fine with me! Just need someone to help santana, deemphasize ARE and put thrash out to pasture.

Posted by: AdamCr | May 5, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 5, 2009

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I like that lineup, and think we will see a lot of it. I also think ARE and RWilliams will share time in the slot.

Concerning RB's, I think JZ really wants to get a scatback added in the mix for 3rd downs, much like Iggles use BWestbrook. The only way I figure it is if Betts or Rock is let go. Unfortunately, Rock saves $850k against cap, so I'm thinking he will be let go. It means a lot of reshuffling of ST's, and maybe Betts takes more of the role that Rock played the last couple of years. But the FO has made quite an effort to find a Sproles-like player, and I think one of them will stick.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 5, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

'...The Steelers had an awful running game, despite also using a 1st rounder who didn't contribute (Mendenhall).'

And this--again--validates my point: you don't need a dominant running game to win the Super Bowl or even to get there.

You need athletic wideouts and a quarterback who reads quickly and makes accurate throws.

We are wedded to Portis because of 1980s style offensive thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Hey, learnedhand1, when you say "book it", what exactly do you mean?
I'm hoping you mean you'd like someone to give you some action, say 50 bucks, and let's have someone neutral hold the money until the season is over and the stats are in.
Or, you could just send me the fitty now, 'cuz that sh*t yer smokin' has fried your brain and the less money you got, the better off you're gonna be.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 5, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Trent Shelton will finally take Thrash's place as special teams guy wearing a WR number. Thats pretty much what #83 is anyway.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 5, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This morning on Mike & Mike, Justin Tuck was on. He was asked about a bunch of young QBs including Cutler, Rivers, and Campbell. He said that of the QB's Campbell is "more of a hybrid quarterback" and noted his "ability to run." Furthermore, he went on to say that he "has the most upside." Just thought you all would like to hear that.

Posted by: moosepod | May 5, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

moosepod good info but you mentioned Mike and Mike so

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: alex35332 | May 5, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I like Campbell a ton but tucks comment is just a backhanded way of saying he's proven the least.

Posted by: AdamCr | May 5, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

We are wedded to Portis because of 1980s style offensive thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

And the point is that we've actually spent less than those other teams because we "wed" ourselves to Portis.

You think it's bad that we focus on the running game too much? Imagine what it would be like if we had that philosophy AND had to cycle in and out of running backs every 2-3 drafts. We'd have spent 90% of our draft selections on RBs and DBs. At least with Portis, the team can focus on attempting to upgrade other areas (such as using 3 second round selections on WRs and a TE).

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Snyderatto dont give a SJK about Campbell's upside.

I guess the inmates were let out of the asylum early from periculums peppering of the blog.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | May 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

JLaC - Would you attribute finding these "gems" (shelton, williams, etc.) to Morocco Brown - or is this mostly the work of Vinny C?

Posted by: 4skinz | May 5, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll correct that: potential "gems".

Posted by: 4skinz | May 5, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

We are wedded to Portis because of 1980s style offensive thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

Clinton is great.

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moosepod | May 5, 2009 4:15 PM

I think Tuck's comments reflect the fact that nearly any other QB would have been killed by now behind our patchwork OL.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

RedskinsWillie, I don't smoke and for the time being I am not drinking. I have a very good feeling about Thomas and Davis should have been given an opportunity to do more than block last year. My predictions, of course, hinge on JC playing like it's a contract year.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Mike and Mike = dysentery

Posted by: toohoes | May 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4skinz
Vinny traded morocco brown and 2011 first round draft pick for one of the Giants Monday night games

Posted by: connskins | May 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Two things:

Portis' worth will eventually be realized when we are all ready to rip each others heads off becuase of an unstable running game.

And, the day Rock Cartwright is cut (which is soon), 'skins nation will: lower all team flags to half mast, fire a 31 gun salute, add him to the ring of honor, sacrafice a goat in memory of Rock, wear black ribbons, and erect a statue in Raljon. ROCK IS GOD.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"We are also wedded to Portis because he is one of two offensive players we've had that I can remember who will make the Hall of Fame. The other being Chris Samuels.

Clinton is great.

Posted by: Vicc"

If that's all that matters, we should offer John Elways 10 mil a year to come back, he's ALREADY IN THE HALL OF FAME!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 5, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is great.

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Damn straight!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

His lack of homerun, break away speed doesn't bother me at all. We have one of those, and his name is Moss. What we need is a good receiver to help move the chains and be a decent threat to help set up the big 60 yarder.

Posted by: moosepod | May 5, 2009

You're not reading and probably not watching. "True dat" what Moe said about the passing game ... and the threat of the home run both on the ground and in the air is critical to that strategy. Else why bring in those scat backs that Matt Terl is talking about on the Redskins blog?

What happens when Moss is double covered? Cooley? Who do you call? On the Redskins the last couple of years there really hasn't been anyone. Meanwhile the Eagles with Westbrook continue to roll. The Giants ... and they got even better after this draft.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Periculum, I was merely referring to Roydel's breakaway ability. If you double team Santana and Cooley that takes 4 defenders. That leaves one v one for the rest of the eligible receivers. The report on Williams said he can get separation, but can't break away. It sounds like that makes him a viable option. We do have a breakaway receiver, so what is your argument there? I am saying we don't need him to be a breakaway guy. We need him to be able to move the chains and help keep drives going. We do need a break away running back, but review my post and see that I never claimed the contrary. You named one Eagle with break away ability (I'd say Jackson makes two). I am saying that the reason that Santana hasn't been able to just beast all over the field is because we don't have as many options. We need someone who can catch the intermediate routes. Someone who can help soften up the defenses. We don't need Williams to go for 60 yds, we need him to consistently be able to move the chains. That will help open up the long ball.

Posted by: moosepod | May 5, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Truth11:

I seriously doubt John Elway would be playing at a Hall of Fame level right now. lol

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

And yes it does matter, cuz generally to make the Hall of Fame, you have to be pretty darn good...

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I like Mike & Mike - At least they're funny and cover a wide range of topics. The only other sports choice in the AM out here is that tool Colin Cowherd. Cowherd's main shtick seems to be to make one point and pound it into the ground all day. Not to mention his squeaky voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Posted by: skinswest | May 5, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is great.

How many superbowl? Has ever led a team to the playoffs and then through the playoffs. His peer would be Seattle's LaDamian Tomlinson. Do you really believe that he is as good as LT? If you do you've been smoking some weird weed.

Portis is an average back with a lot of yardage. Not that much different from George Rogers or Gerald Riggs, and in fact IMHO I'd take Ernest Byner in a heartbeat over CP. None of those will see the Hall. Why should Portis.

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009

Damn straight!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2009

People from the "ShowMe state" say show me a Superbowl. Show me a playoff victory in which your play was prominent and made the difference.
SHOW ME more than attitude and funny costumes. With Westbrook the Eagles get into the playoffs and are always a threat to get into the Superbowl and perhaps win. Portis? NOT HARDLY.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

You named one Eagle with break away ability (I'd say Jackson makes two).

Maclin and McCopy make 3 and 4.

I agree. I can see Cooley perhaps providing that if Davis moves into the TE spot. The Giants solved that little problem by drafting Ramses Barden. The Skins? Nada as usual. Unless Cooley slides into that slot. Kind of like the OL except they've thrown a whole lot more money into it than they have the OL.

Posted by: moosepod | May 5, 2009

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

We are wedded to Portis because of 1980s style offensive thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2009

Gibbs had nothing to do with Stephen Davis, et al under Norv. Last time the Skins went deep into the playoffs. Almost got to the conference game.

LaDamian Tomlinson along with Sproles? 1970's Syracuse's Jim Czonka and Mercury Morris. C'mon Moe ...

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Ooops make that Czonka, Kiick and Morris.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Portis has a huge "entitlement" because of his relationship with Dan Snyder. Having nothing to do with Joe Gibbs.

Remember Gibbs? The guy who sat Riggins for Rogers? When that didn't work he threw in Timmy Smith. When Smith choked, he brought in Riggs? Then there was Byner? Gibbs wedded to a running back? Not hardly. That is 1980's style.

This is Dan Snyder's Millennium Six Flags Follies where he pays guys exorbitant sums to wear funny costumes and entertain the press while eeking out 3-4 yard per carry.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Continuing on the topic, and as I recall Joe Washington was the feature back even before Riggins while Riggins worked himself back into shape after a year off from football.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey periculum:

what came first, the chicken or the egg?

I got plenty more brain busters for you after you answer...

luv the cornucopia of rants though.

Ur too clever for rocket science; good luck in space camp this summer; I'd see you there, but oxygen is thin and I need to yawn playa.

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009

Yawwwn, just watched Vandenburg launch a Delta 4. Beautiful day it was a spectacular launch. Hope the BMD doesn't lose another satellite.

Yes, I do rocket science. Constellation, Ares, Orion ... yep Aries V == Saturn V. Orion == Apollo's command and service modules. Hey there is even a LEM!? Now its the Altair lunar lander. What will they think of next?

Moe, 1980's style? How about back-to-the-future with a late 60's rerun of the original space program geared to get us back to the moon and beyond? Sometimes "old school" isn't always a bad thing. Just need the right players to make it go. And like you said, you keep exchanging parts until you find the right mix. That's what Gibbs did until his plans were short circuited by Dan the flim flam man.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

... I have a very good feeling about Thomas and Davis should have been given an opportunity to do more than block last year. ...

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2009 4:30 PM

Based on what? I have no good feeling about either. This past weekend's mini-camp was a replay of last year from both ... one out with a hammy and the other out recovery from his bad knee. I'm not saying that I WANT both to improve, but there is no basis for a "very good feeling" about either.

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is great.

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Damn straight!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2009 4:41 PM

Why bring pockets into this discussion?

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Umm ... re-reading that ... should be "I'm not saying that I don't want both to improve, ..."

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

DT playing with JC all offseason and coming into minicamp ripped, with Zorn singing his praises, I think says something about his increased maturity and ability to run a route. However, it would be a nightmare if he developed into a bigger hobbled Moss (i.e. Mommy my Hammy).

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | May 5, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

It's really funny how all of the Giants and Eagles draft picks are all magically ready to do great things in the NFL before they have even attended a mini-camp, while all of ours are just lame ass picks...(which, on our side, to a certain degree is true)

Might as well not even play the games.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 5, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I like Mike & Mike - At least they're funny.....

Posted by: skinswest | May 5, 2009 5:01 PM

Wow. easily amused eh?

Posted by: toohoes | May 5, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Mike & Mike = Two guys, one cup

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Check out the springs on Collins (2nd pic down)....I bet he could jump into the back of a pickup truck in sandals too (Eloi).

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | May 5, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Might as well not even play the games.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | May 5, 2009

Good point, kind of like Brian Orapko (according to some experts and too many here) suddenly playing RDE in place of Andre' Carter. Or Devin Thomas leading the team in receptions ... or Mike Williams starting at right offensive tackle, or Devin Clark for that matter.

Posted by: periculum | May 5, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Samson -- I liked you reply to my post a few blog posts back regarding drafting OL.

A couple back-at-yous. Drafts have to be about need, not just talent. Its especially true since most picks are hit and miss anyway. In the Skins case, getting a hit a tight end is worth about the same as a miss at RT.

The fact that only 1/21 picks (the last 3 drafts) has been an OL doesn't include trades/FA. The Skins have gotten their LG via those methods. They were lucky both times (Kendall and Dock) that the guys came on the market, but credit mgmt with getting them when they became available.

You implied that I insisted that players be picked at roughly the ratio they are starting lineups. I'm not that doctrinaire, but I do think that should be a consideration. You start there and put extra emphasis in areas that you think will be problems in 2 years. The Skins should have been using 25-30% of their picks on the OL over the last 3 drafts. Its not a 'plan' per se, but a guideline. I'm not 'anti' best player available, I just modify it to best player available in an area of need.

Last -- as for the OL being the difference between us currently and a playoff caliber team, I totally stand by that opinion. When the OL was healthy, we were 6-2. When it got dinged, we starting losing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

We are wedded to Portis because of 1980s style offensive thinking.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

I'll take 1487 yards and Wang-Chung any day...

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum *****

What do you make of this, Peri?

Astronaut Dr. Edgar Mitchell has finally done it. He has told the world that UFOs are real, and that we are not alone in the universe. In a recent interview on Kerrang Radio, in the United Kingdom.

“I’ve had crazy UFO nuts before, but I’ve never had Dr. Ed Mitchell, the 6th man to walk on the moon, a respected scientist in his own right, announce to me that we’ve been visited by aliens from other planets and they definitely are out there and there’s no debating it . . . I’m just wondering if I’ve stumbled on astronaut humor and in a couple minutes you are going to go I was only pulling your leg.”

The Apollo 14 veteran astronaut goes on to point out that he grew up in Roswell and we really did have aliens come to Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. He says there are aliens who conform to the popular concept of little humanoid creatures with big heads and big eyes. Additionally, we are lucky the aliens are not hostile because we’d be totally gone by now if they were. The record-holder for longest moonwalk ever says that some governments are going to be declassifying their UFO information soon and implies that, in preparation for this, the Catholic church issued a proclamation that

“Belief in life on other planets does not compromise your Catholocism.”

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 5, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis in the HOF?....i'm not sure he has played well enough for that. he is certainly talented, but talent doesn't merit the HOF....

Posted by: kcy123 | May 5, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

That right there is a team player. Good man.

Posted by: brian71490 | May 5, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Mike & Mike = Two guys, one cup

Posted by: dcsween

Damn, Sween! You HAD to go there, didn't ya?

Posted by: tripz | May 5, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike & Mike = Two guys, one cup

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2009 6:08 PM | ============================================
:maps:
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 5, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Typical Zach Berman negativity! As if we need help on special teams or at WR. Why do you hate the Skins so much Mr. Berman?

Posted by: mack1 | May 5, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

hey whats wrong with bringing bodies into camp. everybody needs competition and that includes JC.

Seems to me they are trying to improve the team in anyway they can till fill in some role players.

maybe having some vets in at wr might push these younsters to step it up.

i applaud competition...

Posted by: leevi98

be nice if some of those competitors also brought talent ... along with their A game

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Proving once again...NO MATTER WHAT! people on this blog whine and complain about every single move the team makes or does not make.

Ya know...your statement is a catch 22...people talk about how we always try a make a big splash and that we don't need bigtime players to move in and disrupt things. Spending too much etc etc etc etc.. Ya know the same old crap we read on here day after day, month after month...year after year. The biggest complaint of our owner. So when they bring in some bargin vets with little risk that may have some up side and could provide some type of depth and better yet...a bit of competition...People still find a reason to complain.

Posted by: leevi98 | May 5, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Portis only needs maybe 2798 yds and 19 tds.

And he'll get there over the (I'll be generous) next 5 years.

He'll retire around age 32, 33.

This is a no brainer.

After that he is a shoe-in for HOF.

2009 Season prediction for Portis:

13 of 16 games played
329 carries, 1350 yds, 8 tds

Posted by: Vicc | May 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Good thing no one ever whines about our quarterback, and complains whenever he isn't replaced.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | May 5, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"Most NFL analysts worth listening to pretty consistently indicate that it takes 2-3 years to really evaluate a new draftee in the NFL, but apparently the Eagles have already wrapped up the next 2 or 3 super bowls with their choices.Might as well not even play the games.Posted by: JohnDinHouston"

Games? What games?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

About that Philly team -- it's easy to forget how much they struggled last season before finishing strong.

They were 3-3 prior to the bye, then 2-2-1 directly afterwards (recall the tie with Cincinnati?)before finishing up by winning four of five. McNabb got benched, there were calls for Andy Reid's job (that happens every season anyway), and if it hadn't been for some compliant victims (like the Cowboys)that late-season run might not have happened.

Their franchise player was LJ Smith, now departed. Along with their starting tackles and apparently, Sheldon Brown soon to follow.

THey've signed some high-profile FA and drafted some fast guys... well, that's something we here in DC know all about, isn't it?

Be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em leevi98! And don't let those posters who've been paying attention get you down when they call you a hypocritical imbecile. Keep your chin up. Hold your head high. And keep spewing nonsense!

Posted by: mack1 | May 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Hey, no harm no foul. Fact is, if me losin' 50 bucks would make it happen, I'd lose a hundred.
My guess is they make progress, my hope is they make progress. But not the kinda all-pro numbers you're talkin'.
Be well.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 5, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Forget about the eagles, I recall us sweeping them last year and beating the cardinals too... if we were just a little bit consistant and didn't lose games to LOSERS we coulda been playing in that NFC Championship game.

Posted by: scottmando | May 5, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Mike & Mike are the two biggest dorks on the radio. They are absolutely not funny whatsoever, and if I hear that homo Greenberg ask another NFL analyst about the Jets and their chances this year, I'm going to steer my car off the road.

Posted by: hehateme | May 6, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse