Sherman Smith is let go

After two seasons with the Redskins, offensive coordinator Sherman Smith will be looking for work again.

New Coach Mike Shanahan informed Smith on Wednesday he would not be retained, ending Smith's brief tenure with the team. A longtime running backs coach with the Tennessee Titans, Smith came to Washington to work alongside former head coach Jim Zorn, his good friend and onetime NFL teammate, who was fired Jan. 4.

"I appreciate the way Mike handled the situation," Smith said Thursday in a phone interview. "I definitely would have like to have been part of Mike staff's because I think he's going to do a great job, but his decision shows his loyalty to [Turner]. I understand that and I respect it."

Shanahan's son, Kyle, will run the Redskins' offense next season. Mike Shanahan strongly considered Smith to coach running backs, people with knowledge of the situation said, but Shanahan instead hired former Denver Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner as Washington's assistant head coach-running backs. Denver initially denied permission for the Redskins to interview Turner, who with Shanahan helped the Broncos win consecutive Super Bowls in the late 1990s.

"I'm definitely sorry to see him go," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Coach Sherman Smith is a great guy. He's a guy full of character. When he spoke, he spoke with a lot of knowledge.

"You just listened when he spoke because the words he used were so meaningful. He knew how to get your attention. He's a real motivator. I just wish him all the best. Wherever he winds up, the team he goes to will be lucky to have him on the staff."

Smith, 55, an NFL running back for eight seasons, and Zorn were rookie starters together with the expansion Seattle Seahawks in 1976. From 1995 through 2007, Smith coached running backs under Titans Coach Jeff Fisher.

Although Zorn called plays during the 2008 season, Smith played a major role in the offense as the Redskins went 8-8. When Zorn was stripped of play-calling duties in October in favor of consultant Sherman Lewis, Smith's role was expanded to include calling most running plays.

"I had a good experience in my role as the offensive coordinator, even though I didn't call plays until Sherman Lewis gave me that opportunity," Smith said. "As a coach, I think it definitely helped me grow to have that experience."

Smith said he enjoyed his time as Zorn's top offensive assistant, "but I'm really looking forward to getting back to coaching running backs," he said. "I always told my guys [in Tennessee] that we're the most important position because everything goes through us. I'm looking forward to getting back to that job."

Because he is under contract for the 2010 season, Smith does not have to rush to find work. "I'll just wait and see what happens," he said. "I want to coach because that's what I do. There's just not a lot out there right now. But I wanted to stay here not just because I want to work.

"I wanted to stay because I believe Mike and [new General Manager] Bruce Allen are going to do a great job together for the Redskins. I really think Dan Snyder has made some excellent choices in the people he picked to run the organization. The Redskins have a chance now. I believe that."

By Jason Reid  |  January 14, 2010; 7:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan's coaching staff: the story so far
Next: Davis talks about changes at Redskins Park

Comments

WOW...

Posted by: WRBD | January 14, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck, Mr Smith, hope you enjoyed Washington.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Oline, Oline, Oline

That is the question.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | January 14, 2010; 7:06 PM ET

Not a very strong endorsement of Jim Zorn, is it?

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I thought the same thing LS...

...and to the guy who was defending Moon v Reich..... Ummmm, Pay Attention, and try and Keep up.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | January 14, 2010; 7:06 PM ET

Not a very strong endorsement of Jim Zorn, is it?

Posted by: League-Source

I'm guessing Smith wouldn't mind having Shanahan say nice things about him. Cause a reference from Zorn isn't going to get you a ham sandwich.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 14, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Have you noticed how even "zorn's guys" take little parting shots? What a zoo the last 2 years must have been. Bet ole Sherm Smith wishes he would have let Jeff Fisher talk him into staying in Tenn.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

...but its a biggger rip on the vinster.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Good Sherman. I enjoyed the interviews you had with Kelli Johnson on Comcast. I wish you the best of luck with your new team.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | January 14, 2010 7:48 PM |

I hadn't noticed it, but you're right. I'm sure that he made out pretty well, financially by coming. And he's looking at a year's pay for nothing. He'll find a good job.

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins have a chance now." Did Smith mean that they had no chance with Vinny/Zorn? I guess it could be sloppy speaking or a dig at only Vinny, but it's plain meaning is bad for Zorn. Even his buddy thinks he screwed the pooch here. Thank god for Shanahan.

Posted by: chris_zz | January 14, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have a chance now. I believe that."

By Jason Reid | January 14, 2010; 7:06 PM ET

Not a very strong endorsement of Jim Zorn, is it?

Posted by: League-Source | January 14, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow! So we really didn't have a chance this past year.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 14, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Sooooo you're saying we have a chance!

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 14, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances?
Not good.
You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]
So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh Zorny. QUirky, overmatched, well-intentioned soul. Enjoy Snyder's millions. You earned them. Well, not really but I wish you well.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

"I read ya...I read ya..."

"What was all that 1 in a million talk??"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

"I had a good experience in my role as the offensive coordinator, even though I didn't call plays until Sherman Lewis gave me that opportunity," Sherman Smith said.

----------

Shermanism at it's worst.

just one more Sherm looking out for another Sherm.

horrible...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 14, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Here's a fun one:

Describe what Sherman Smith actually did as OC.

Anyone?

Posted by: edvar | January 14, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Shermanism at it's worst.

just one more Sherm looking out for another Sherm."

If only we had Mr. Peabody's time machine to go back about 10 years.

Posted by: Bazz | January 14, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Intresting or weird fact about Sherm Smith...He is married to a teacher, Sharon. They have two children, daughter Shavonne and son Sherman.

Lots of freaking S's.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

JC wont go away (no RFA offers) but he wont be starting 2010, either.... He will be pouting on the bench asking for a trade... Just like when he said he would ask for a trade if the Skins got Cutler back in spring of 2009.

If he hasnt improved in 4 years..it aint gonna happen in 2010. Shanny Jr will see that he doesnt have the release speed or read speed needed for his Offense. And Snyder will have to just eat the 2005 draft he gave up for JC which resulted in zero playoffs.

However, I bet Portis will make a comeback.. Shanny will get him to lose the equivalent weight of a "Nicole Ritchie" and we'll see some speed again.
========================
Vic wrote..

-- and I'll give another mill each to the first coaches who can convince JC17 and CP26 it's time for them to just go away.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 14, 2010 6:31 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

no sh-t...
==============

Lots of freaking S's.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:14 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

sherlock

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Sherm in whatever you choose to do! Thank you for trying!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 14, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Clif- JC is definitely mediocre and you and everyone else is beating a RedDMV…HOWEVER, one thing he shouldn’t be called is a malcontent.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW F-Dallas!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 14, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

reading about all these assistant coaches and assistant vps..and associate assistants.. and associate head coaches...yada yada.. It just goes to show how much STUPID NFL MONEY is out there from fans like us who, like robotic sheep, keep buying the tickets, the concessions and the merchandise.. Its infriggn insane.. and we feed it...

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:28 PM

no sh-t... sherlock

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Diesel..

=====================

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:26 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"Smith said he enjoyed his time as Zorn's top offensive assistant..."

So if you're the juggling clown's top assistant, that's something to brag about?

Perhaps your pride comes from helping him with his balls.

Things is, Zorn didn't seem to have any.

Balls, that is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

pass me some of that sh-t.. a big fatty..
The "let go" Shermster is laughing all the way to the carribean, right now.
==================================
no sh-t... sherlock

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:30 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:18 PM

Well, I'm not a JC apologist and he's not the answer long term but to say he hasn't improved in 4 years is not thinking it through. He has improved tremendously in 4 years but still is average. No need to try and make things sound worse than they really are.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Clif... JC was getting punked in the press nationally and locally. He had to say that demand a trade stuff to maintain his status and to let them know he was not their beeyotch. He did it for the same reason he called JReid after the CP on JT show crap fest after the season ended. Its like calling a min raise with 3 callers from the BB. Its automatic.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Clif- no sh-t... sherlock

I'm no dcwun, pabrain, or pa17 when it comes to JC...I just wish his talent, ability, & football IQ matched his character.

I don't root for any specific player I root for W's. I'd cut your mom and my mom if there was a better option.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

The story:

"Tight Ends Pose a Bigger Receiving Headache for Defenses"

The Link:

Analysis:

The folks who want to trade C Cooley should come to understand that there is value in a two-tight end set offense with ends like Davis and Cooley.

Davis especially is a plus as if he's used properly, his running ability and size creates mismatches.

Maybe the best value Cooley has is as the guy who gains because of the coverage issues that might be created by Davis.

And maybe we shouldn't trade that advantage away.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 14, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Like the Skins have wasted great Defenses the last 4 years on Jason.. I wasted 5 minutes of my life checking NFL.Com and No.. He hasnt improved the last 4 years if you dig into the "situational stats".. Situation Stats are the best way to eliminate the stat advantage of the opposing team's Prevent Defense "easy passing stats" in the 4th Quarter.. Of which a 4-12 team can often offer a QB.
He actually has regressed.

He remains comparable to the 1st year QBs, every year. And each subsequent year, those QBs separate from him in their 2nd year.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:18 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 9:35 PM |

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

If you could pick one guy to not be on the roster next year...

(1) Campbell
(2) Portis

I'm going with Portis. He is clearly easier to replace than JC.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Concur Diesel, but they both have the heart of a lion on gameday.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, a stat guy. This conversation is over.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Concur Diesel, but they both have the heart of a lion on gameday.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 9:53 PM

Ideally you'd like to replace both but the rebuild won't happen in a year. Chester Taylor would be an upgrade to CP @ this point in his high mileage career.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

This is for the d-bag stats guy:

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2009 Washington Redskins 16 507 327 64.5 31.7 3,618 7.1 226.1 20 3.9 15 3.0 84 40 8 43 285 86.4

2008 Washington Redskins 16 506 315 62.3 31.6 3,245 6.4 202.8 13 2.6 6 1.2 67T 34 3 38 266 84.3

2007 Washington Redskins 13 417 250 60.0 32.1 2,700 6.5 207.7 12 2.9 11 2.6 54 30 4 21 110 77.6

2006 Washington Redskins 7 207 110 53.1 29.6 1,297 6.3 185.3 10 4.8 6 2.9 66T 13 3 7 55 76.5

Completions,completion pct, yardage, and rating increased every year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

On to trade or not to trade Cooley- I hear you Moe. There are certainly mismatches to be had with them both in the lineup. But we have far bigger issues to address- namely O-line, DB, FS. If we could get a 2nd round pick for him, I'd say do it. We should be able to pick up a starter at one of those spots, and Fred Davis has all the trappings of a Pro Bowl caliber TE. Having them both = "nice to have"...a starting OT, OG, FS and CB = must haves. Just my two cents. I love Captain Chaos but from a biz perspective I'd have to pull the trigger on that trade if it was offered.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

No way LMG

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

If we could get a 2nd round pick for him, I'd say do it.
Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:01 PM

Not happening, maybe a 3rd.

So you keep both and for once have depth and the ability to create a mismatch for once.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand this trade Cooley stuff. The saying goes "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush." We have a known, pro bowl player. There is absolutely no guarantee that the draft pick would equal that or even come close. Trade a sure thing for a maybe? No thanks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

what do you think is fair market value for a 28 yr old TE coming off a broken leg? I don't think he'd command a first round pick even if he hadn't gotten hurt. I don't think it's a slam dunk, one way or the other. Just saying I'd take a 2nd rounder for him. That opinion and $1 will get you a cheap cup of coffee

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

To support "no improvement" or regression case...
Jason's QB Ratings by Quarter from NFL.COM.
Also, consider how weak the 2009 schedule was the first 6 weeks.

2006

1st Qtr 69.8
2nd Qtr 85.5
3rd Qtr 109.6
4th Qtr 78.8
4th Qtr less than 7 minutes 61.0

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

LMG- his contract also diminishes his worth. He is not going to net value that is equal to his worth as a Skin. The Shannys will be able to use both TEs and have formations that Zorn didn't think was legal.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

and scamp, not saying I'd actively shop him around. that has a way of poisoning the well. but if offered, yes I'd take a 2nd rd pick. that's more than fair value.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

LOL Diesel. I hope we keep him. I'm pretty sure we will

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL Diesel. I hope we keep him. I'm pretty sure we will

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

1) clif, my point was that stats can be found to back up any position therefor have little place in this argument. If you can't see that he improved while the offensive line and the running game regressed then you're blind.

2) LMG, I disagree. Pro Bowler? Second round pick? Pro Bowler please.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

scampbell.. convenient non-situational stats...
You remember how much prevent Defense stats Campbell was getting this year (mop up).. At least 8 out of the 12 losses were decided by the last 7 minutes of the game this year (even the Lions game). JC played catch with his receivers those last 7 minutes.. He was allowed to throw anything he wanted unless he became a scoring threat at the 20 or less. Thats why his stats are glaringly at 80 percent completions/attempts for 10 yards or less.

The best indicator of his regression is his stats from the 1st Quarter.. At that point there have been no adjustments to him or by him. And look at the ratings from 2006 to 2009.. He is going backwards.
+++++++++++++++++++++

To support "no improvement" or regression case...
Jason's QB Ratings by Quarter from NFL.COM.
Also, consider how weak the 2009 schedule was the first 6 weeks.

2006

2nd Qtr 85.5
3rd Qtr 109.6
4th Qtr 78.8
4th Qtr less than 7 minutes 61.0

=+=+=
scmbell wrote.

Completions,completion pct, yardage, and rating increased every year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:00 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I can't talk to you if your not going to listen too. All you want to do is read your own stuff and ignore what I say. Have it dude, you win with all your "stats".

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

As long as we address our glaring needs with the draft and FA...I guess there is more hope of doing so now that Bevis is gone

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 14, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Then explain why his second and third quarter rating (when it wasn't garbage time) improved every year. Your stats are meaningless. You need to give that sh!t up and come up with something other than tired old argument your pushin'

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The best indicator of his regression is his stats from the 1st Quarter..

cliftonbiz

Actually it looks to me that the Skins are being out coached. If you consider the coaching staff in those years. JZ scripted the first quarter plays in 2008-2009. I think even you would say that JZ was way over his head. The 2006 stats are anomaly because JC only started 7 games, and DC didn't have a book on him. If you throw out 2006, JC 2009 stats have improved each correspondent quarter except the 4th quarter. Which of course goes against your premise about JC's stats being propped up by prevent defenses. You see cliftonbiz any one can spins stats to prove their position.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Scamp & Clif-

JC isn't the best looking girl at the bar and she's certainly not the worst.

She's worth going home with until something better comes along and Megan Fox ain't walking in the bar this year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Don't cut your moms. She reads defenses better than JC17.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | January 14, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

JC isn't the best looking girl at the bar and she's certainly not the worst.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:40 PM |

I don't want Megan Fox as our quarterback either...wait...what?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Megan Fox as our quarterback either...wait...what?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:42 PM

You wouldn't want her taking snaps from under center?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Megan Fox as our quarterback either...wait...what?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:42 PM

You wouldn't want her taking snaps from under center?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:47 PM |

Well I wouldn't mind seeing her piled on...oh...wait, scratch that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Well I wouldn't mind seeing her piled on...oh...wait, scratch that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:51 PM

It's to bad the league made the wedge illegal because I wouldn't mind....

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Hit the showers!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 14, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather take snaps from under her center.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 14, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

TWISI wrote:
"Which of course goes against your premise about JC's stats being propped up by prevent defenses. You see cliftonbiz any one can spins stats to prove their position."
*********************

Thanks for pointing it out Twisi.... Holy Cr-ap. Imagine his 4 Q Rating in 2009 if he didnt have those less than 10 yard stat padding passes in the last 7 minutes of the 4th. Probably much less than his 61.0 in 2009.
Also, Zorn was calling plays in 2008 and 2009 and compare those quarters. I dont think Zorn was getting worse as a playcaller. And if QB Ratings are connected to being "outcoached" then in 2008 JZ outcoached Gibbs in 2007??
No.. it wasnt the "coaching". It was a QB that doesnt have a "touch" or can throw accurately over 10 yards. It was the same thing they said about him as a rookie.. and he hasnt improved.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Twisi wrote:

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 10:39 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say that Cooley is being traded for Megan Fox? Now that is one tight end I want on my team.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 14, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Clif-

What's your point and please put your response at the bottom.

Don't recreate the wheel just roll with it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Megan Fox in the huddle?

That's got delay of game written allover it...

Posted by: edvar | January 14, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Megan Fox = Jay Cutler

Not someone you wanna get hitched to, all the excitement notwithstanding.

I'm not sure who the babe equivalent of Peyton Manning is, and I don't wanna visualize that, but that's what you're really looking for, cuz you're looking for a LTR.

Posted by: farstriker | January 14, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

cliftonbiz you can do better than that. Think it through some more. Give me a good fight.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

here goes.. its as articulate as I can be..

Baaawahhhh.. I want a new QB.

======================

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 11:11 PM |

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 14, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Megan Fox = Room Service Weekend

Posted by: edvar | January 14, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

cliftonbiz we'll see if the Shanshans want that as well.

Good night.

Posted by: TWISI | January 14, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Who's on the top 5 big draft big board if Megan Fox isn't on there.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Who's on the top 5 big draft big board if Megan Fox isn't on there.

1- Christina Aguilera
2-Vida Guerra
3-Shakira
4-Aishwarya Rai
5-Jessica Biel

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:19 PM

Posted by: Skins930 | January 14, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930 | January 14, 2010 11:28 PM

Nicely done...Vida is the Mike Mamula of combines and as far as busts...you know

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but since my pick is #4 I will be just fine.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 14, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but since my pick is #4 I will be just fine.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 14, 2010 11:49 PM

You're #1 overall pick was a shock but I still think she would be productive...the sleeper is Biel @ 5. What a steal.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Who's on the top 5 big draft big board if Megan Fox isn't on there.

1- Christina Aguilera
2-Vida Guerra
3-Shakira
4-Aishwarya Rai
5-Jessica Biel

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 11:19 PM

Yes but they have "BUST" written all over them....oh wait that would be a good thing.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 14, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

They could all be drafted as centers. Just think of all the QB's pulling an ELI at the draft. They would all demand to come to the SKINS.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 14, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

All the people saying don't trade Cooley...One name Tony Scheffler, remember it was Shanny who drafted him in Denver and its no secret he's on his way out of Denver along with Marshall and Peyton Hillis and all 3 could be Washington bound one way or another.Imagine what mismatches two pass catching TE's like Fred Davis and Tony Scheffler would be and in this scenario you wouldn't suffer that much of a drop off in production with Davis/Scheffler..

Posted by: robbkels | January 15, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

yeah, that 1st quarter passing in 2009 really jumped out at me too. I recall saying the Skins needed to change their warmups because the come out so flat to start the game. A QB rating under 70 -- kinda makes the point!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

as for drafting Megan Fox, absolutely. She's got a great double move

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 15, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

Lots of freaking S's.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 14, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

How much you wanna bet the little Sherman is Sherman Smith II, not Jr.

Posted by: mmeixler | January 15, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

Last season was like a bad day at AC! All you can do is count up how much you have left and go home, tomorrow is another day!
We have a new crew now! Please let them do their jobs, leave it to the pros, there are too many HCs & GMs on this page. Why don't we just wait and see what kind of team they put together!
I have said 1000 times or more, that, it was not the players, but bad coaching, poor play-calling and a lack of leadership, that was responsible for the atrocious season. Let Mike S. choose his team, give him time, I am sure we will see a totally different team and team-play!
Good old George said it best, "You don't win with talent, you win with character". NE Pats proved it!
See what happened when Belicheat got rid of his character players!

Posted by: rabalac7 | January 15, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

I think it's safe to say that with all of these coaching staff moves, Jason Clownble has played his last game as a Skin.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | January 15, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

I enjoy the conversations where folks choose stats to make thier points, and back them up by adding "situational" sense.

Here is the situation: Jason was 0-100 when trying to throw from his back. his chances of completing a pass increased by an order of magnitude when he was standing. Now add in that he had almost zero chances for a five or seven step drop, so situationally he no chance to throw downfield.

Knowing this the defenses "situationally" would go into either cover two or two deep with zone coverages from linebackers in a 3-4 and often seeing a 3 man rush even with a 4-3, having a D lineman drop into a zone slot to close down crossing routes.

The truth is JC got pretty freaking good at picking apart these schemes, and in a WC type offense you have to. Frustrating was how many 8 yard routes our recieving corps would run when they needed nine. or watching our part time running backs fall one yard short every time we needed one.

I think we will see Shanny wait until he has someone better sign a contract before he goes cutting anyone- especially in an uncap'd year. We have just five picks plus whatever we can deal for and pick up off waivers and the limited FA market, so the real question is what can THIS GROUP of players do with a fully qualified coaching staff top to bottom.

Zorn is a good man. He is an honest man. he proved to be an inneffective head coach of this team, despite getting whoever was left by the end of the season ready to play football every week- SD game withstanding.

If CP goes beotch on Shanny I could see him get the bench and an early ticket to the IR with a damaged EGO.

Remember- we have been so programmed on winning in the offseason with big trades and a great team on paper that we expect it again. Get over it. The only definate is that we will have 5 new players in camp from the draft. Shanny's biggest task is to figure out "WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE"

Take heart skins fans, it's going to take a while. I would be very happy with 4-12 next year if we get 4 wins the NFC East. until we can do that no amount of weak schedule is going to help!

Posted by: fireballhank | January 15, 2010 4:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fireballhank | January 15, 2010 4:40 AM

Agreed.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 15, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Megan Fox has hammer thumbs. Huge turn off. Gimme Jessica Biel, 12 gallons of Gatorade, and leave me the hell alone for 2 days.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 15, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

brown,

Jessica Biel is smoken hot, but I wouldn't throw Megan Fox out of bed either.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 15, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Well said, fireball.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 15, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Flound, she's fun to look at, no question. But I have a weird thing where if a chick has ugly hands, it drops her at least 2 or 3 points in the looks department. So the only way I could get it on with Megan Fox is if she's got gloves on.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 15, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

He can open up shop as a hired gun to help teams circumvent The Rooney Rule. Extra cash on top of Danny's 2010 money and he gets that all soooo important interviewing experience. Hmmm.. pretty, pretty good.

better hurry before Jerry Gray corners the market on this idea.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 15, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Megan Fox has hammer thumbs. Huge turn off.

Posted by: brownwood26

I Never noticed her hands.

This comment reminds me off Eddie Murphy's character in Boomerang. Dude was obsessed over a woman's feet.

But I do agree though a woman should have nice looking hands -- and feet as well.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 15, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

So, the Sherman purge is now complete. Best of luck to Sherm Smith. You didn't do much for us here in Washington but you're still a great football person.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 15, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Well put Mr. Fireball

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 15, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

better hurry before Jerry Gray corners the market on this idea.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 15, 2010 7:28 AM

People making this argument don't get it...

A few years ago, Jerry Gray was a serious HC candidate. The Redskins weren't his first interview for a job. Let's not make it sound like they picked some random slappie assistant like Stan Hixon to inverview. They picked a legit coaching candidate.

That said, we all know this was Shanny's job the minute he got canned by Denver. So nobody else (black, white, or otherwise) was getting this gig. I think the Rooney Rule has served its purpose and needs to either be modified or done away with altogether.

So let's not make it sound like the Redskins are racist or something. They want who they want and they should be able to hire that person. If it were Dungy instead of Shanny, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 15, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 15, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Brown is right. The Rooney rule sounds good in theory, but horrible in practice. Owners should look at minority candidates for jobs but the should not be forced down their throats. You cannot force these guys to hire anybody they dont want to, nor should they. What is resulting is patronizing interviews just to follow a rule. The Rooney rule should be abolished. The only good coming from it, is that minority candidates are receiving "head coaching interview experience" which is a joke. In 2010 if someone doesnt want to hire the best man for the job because of race,it is on them and their fans should hold them accountable.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | January 15, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Man is there an undercurrent in Sherm's statement?

Was the swipe at Vinny and Zorn or what? Given his statements when vinny hired Sherm lewis, I cannot believe he complimented Snyder.

Posted by: oknow1 | January 15, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Sherm Smith says, "I really think Dan Snyder has made some excellent choices in the people he picked to run the organization. The Redskins have a chance now. I believe that."

Does he mean that the Zorn and Sherman Lewis hirings were bad and gave the Skins no chance? Well, if he thought that, he'd be right.

Posted by: agupta1 | January 15, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

____
To bad he couldn't motivate Campbell to do better than 4-12. Personally I can't think of any of Zorn's guys I'd miss.. BTW Campbell don't get compfortable.. your turn to leave is coming...

Posted by: sovine08 | January 15, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Not surprising

He actually got passed over by Snyderatto for Sherm Lewis in the first place. We don't actually know what type of coach he really is. Hope he can move on and find successful opportunities without the burgundy tarnish being on his 'permanent record'.

Posted by: kahlua87 | January 15, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

We have a chance now: now that Cerrato is gone, we have a proven GM, and a Coach that has the power to select players (again, not Cerrato). Also Snyder has backed off of trying to make football decisions. Zorn wasnt capable of making personell decisions but was becomming a good coach_probably best suited for an OC. Cerrato made him a Head Coach. Zorn was going for the OC job, which under the right HC he may have done a great job.

I dont think that was a shot at Zorn. It was a view of the multiple changes that we have seen, which I think were made because Snyder has heard the fans and was big enough to do the right things. Good job Dan Snyder!

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | January 15, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the year off on Dan Snyder, dude.

No worries.

Posted by: keithrjackson | January 15, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

If there was any coach I thought, the Skins should have kept, it would have been Coach Smith.
What a shame they[sic] not retaining him in some capacity.

The one thing that bothered me about Zorn was he never gave Sherman the opportunity to shine and call all the plays.

In short. Zorn did to coach Smith, what Snyder wound up doing to Zorn.
"Taking the Play calling duties away from him"

Thank you and good luck,, Coach !!!!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | January 15, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

sooooooo, the shermanator's buddy z-man didn't let him call plays... the bingo caller let him call plays...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | January 15, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

i've no doubt that he's a sterling individual, but he obviously failed to reach Mr. Unreachable....CP. that's a cardinal sin for an OC, who used to be a running backs coach.

so they both must go. i wish Coach Smith great good fortune in the future.

Posted by: mdrockjock | January 15, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse