Sherman Smith ... Still Deciding

More from Jason Reid:

Just got off the phone with Sherman Smith, who still is trying to decide whether to accept the Redskins' offer to become their offensive coordinator. Smith, the Tennessee Titans' assistant head coach/offense, told me he's heard a lot of good things about the organization and hopes to make a decision today.

Smith and new coach Jim Zorn are former teammates and close friends. Smith said many of his friends in coaching believe joining the Redskins would be the best move for him at this point of his career, but Smith is happy in Nashville and the Titans have been good to him.

I've heard that Smith is a really good guy and he came across as a straight shooter in our initial conversation. Smith was trying to get in touch with Zorn to ask a few more questions before speaking with Titans Coach Jeff Fisher. Smith sure sounded like someone who was about to change jobs.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  February 14, 2008; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stump Is Here
Next: Smith Decision Tomorrow

Comments

Not first?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Who would've thought 2 posts in 10 seconds?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Jeez....maybe he realizes this could be a one year and out deal. Then he has no job and loses the great situation he had.

Posted by: redskins0and16 | February 14, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | February 14, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think it's the new color scheme that's scaring him off.

Posted by: daggar | February 14, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"I think it's the new color scheme that's scaring him off."

Posted by: daggar | February 14, 2008 02:05 PM

Not to mention the bane of Jim Fassel's existence, the bloggers.

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This whole Seattle influence is strange, huh?

I think Dan/Vinny blog RI all day and are secretly trying to appease PDiddy and Nate.

But, I don't yet know why?

Maybe they blog and bong all day (blong?).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 14, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"scamp, really? Another DE for Minny? They've taken Udeze, and another guy whose name escapes me, in the last few drafts."

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 01:54 PM

I read somewhere that Udeze was just diagnosed with leukemia. :(

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Lyvonia Albert Mitchell ... I'd be OK with people calling me "Stump" too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stump_Mitchell

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Dan Snyder and Vinny are the ones that are smoking too much dope.

HIT!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 14, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

dc, yeah, I've heard that as well.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

J Reid sure does have a different tone than JLac. I am surprised you guys haven't blistered him with the infamous monaker "Danbot". Or, perhaps, you are just coming to the realization that he doesn't have an axe to grind.

Posted by: drbatchelor | February 14, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This whole Seattle influence is strange, huh?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 14, 2008 02:13 PM

Just wait until you hear Mudhoney singing Hail to the Redskins.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 14, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

yo drbatchelor how about relax a bit bub, people from all perspectives got axes up here, your grinding axe up here hard core...all views welcome but after while you just come off looking an un-fun jag-off...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 14, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Your are crackin' me up OE

Posted by: Skinz | February 14, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

All this deciding doesn't sit well with me. How excited could SS be with the OC job if he's so slow to accept? We need an aggressive, in-your-face, I'll-prove-I'm-good-enough, this-is-the-job-I've-been-waiting-for-all my-life type of guy. SS seems conflicted by the cozy lifestyle he has in TEN. Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe he should stay in TEN.

Posted by: chris_zz | February 14, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I would love a mudhoney version of Hail to the skins.....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 14, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

i just hope stumpy can get them to POUND THE ROCK like an NFC East team!!!

and i vote for not trading for CJ...we can get a good enough possession receiver for less...

Posted by: deadskin | February 14, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 02:17 PM

I just thought he was Tree Rollins' kid.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 14, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marlonjohn | February 14, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 02:17 PM

He could have gone by Al.

Posted by: stwasm | February 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's gonna call the plays, and Stump is the assistant coach......what's left for an OC to do?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Seahawks' running backs coach since 1999, Mitchell coached at Morgan State in Baltimore from 1996-98.

Go Bears!

Posted by: jm220 | February 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

cl, I think that drbatch has a point. A lot of the bashing of Snyder/Cerrato(and for the record some of it is well deserved) is based on pure speculation, "Cowher refused the job" comes to mind. He's just giving the other side of the arguement.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No way El is going anywhere marlonjohn. They are not going to be able to let him and Lloyd go. We all know Lloyd is out of here.

Posted by: jm220 | February 14, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Plus Zorn seem high on him. Jenkins is an interesting option to improving the D-line. He'd cost the Skins a middle round pick most likely.

Posted by: marlonjohn | February 14, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 02:33 PM

95% of everything discussed on these boards is based on speculation or press releases. I'd trust speculation over press releases anyday. Particularly Press Releases orginating from Redskins Park.

Posted by: Skinz | February 14, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"... Have you all seen this ESPN article? It suggests Kris Jenkins could become a Redskin, and the possibilty of El being waived. ..."

Posted by: marlonjohn | February 14, 2008 02:31 PM

The idea about moving El b/c his base salary has not yet been converted into a bonus and amortized over the life of his remaining contract makes sense if the team were looking for a big name, tall receiver to make a plash ... but then again, this ESPN writer probably has an axe to grind.

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

skinz, thats fine, but I don't know that someone should get bashed for not getting in line with how you think....just sayin...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Udeze was just diagnosed with leukemia. :(

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 02:13 PM

It was mentioned on NFLN last night

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Stump better get on the bloggers' good side. We may be fat 54 year old men living in our mothers' basement and pretending to be 13 year old girls, but we're really darn good at it and we make our pre-pubescent voices heard. The nerds have inherited the Earth!

Posted by: PDiddy | February 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

marlonjohn, I've read a couple of those articles that new guy from espn wrote. he's awful. One of the worst writers I've seen in a while. He has no base for half his "assumptions", and clearly doesn't do his homework. The Redskins are in the market for quality receivers. He states so himself. Why would we give up one of the two reliable guys we have? He cites the salary cap as a reason, but fails to mention a guy making $30 mill sitting on the bench. The guy's a moron, there's no way Randle el is going anywhere.

Posted by: psps23 | February 14, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Signing Kris Jenkins to a multi-year contract (enabling annual conversion to bonuses to be spread over the remaining years) would enable the team to cut Cornelius, who has a big annual salary, has restructured in the past to enable amortization over the life of the contract, and has not many years left on his current contract over which to amortize this season's salary.

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Udeze was just diagnosed with leukemia. :(

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 02:13 PM

It was mentioned on NFLN last night

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 14, 2008 02:43 PM

Posted by: kerzon417 | February 14, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy the Randle El thing. Another reason, besides some already stated, is that he is somewhat versatile.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 14, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I get it now, we can ONLY give a running backs coach a two-year contract. It makes so much more sense now.

Sense... and sensibility.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

psps23

Getting rid of El would seem a step backward to me as well. I think the Skins can get a FA wideout this year. One name to look out for is DJ Hacket, the guy who kept beating Springs in the playoff.

Posted by: marlonjohn | February 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

We may be fat 54 year old men living in our mothers' basement and pretending to be 13 year old girls...
Posted by: PDiddy | February 14, 2008 02:43 PM

Ahem. I just so happen to live above the garage...with my ventriloquist dummy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 14, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins received some salary cap relief Thursday by revamping the contract of tight end Chris Cooley.
FOXSports.com has learned Washington converted an $11 million roster bonus Cooley was scheduled to receive into guaranteed money. The move is believed to have lowered Cooley's 2008 cap number from a team-high $12.2 million to $4.4 million.

Other highly-paid Redskins are expected to accept restructured contracts as Washington works to get under the 2008 projected salary cap of $116 million by February 28. Reserve quarterback Mark Brunell ($6.5 million cap number) also is likely to get released.

The Redskins are currently $7 million over the cap, but that figure doesn't include calculations on contract clauses from 2007 like incentives that are still being finalized.

Washington has 15 players set to become unrestricted free agents highlighted by quarterback Todd Collins, who led Washington to a 3-1 record starting in place of the injured Jason Campbell.

Posted by: kerzon417 | February 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

95% of everything discussed on these boards is based on speculation or press releases. I'd trust speculation over press releases anyday. Particularly Press Releases originating from Redskins Park.

Posted by: Skinz | February 14, 2008 02:40 PM

Its always fair to expect complete candor from the Park ... like this little nugget (reported yesterday by another one of the axe grinders at the other paper):

"A Redskins source said Byner spurned a one-year contract for 2008 after the team offered deals running through 2009 to his fellow assistants."

That crap about offers "on hold" for the next coach to decide? Complete crap ... or at least, that's today's Park spin because yesterday's wasn't getting much traction ...

Posted by: dcsween | February 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I feel ya Greg. Alot of time it's the tone more than what is said. Some people on here don't always know how to play nice while disagreeing. (Looks around whistling...who me?)

Posted by: Skinz | February 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

File that one next to, "GG didn't get the job because he was badmouthing Gibbs." Sween.

Posted by: Skinz | February 14, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Jenkins/Griffin, to me they're somewhat interchangable. Griffin has played 8 years, Jenkins for 7, so you're not really gaining all that much. You've still got an 'older' player being replaced by another 'older' player.

I don't see that the Redskins would gain all that much by doing this.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Let's skip Kris Jenkins and sign Sally to replace Cornelius (Flashback: Planet of the Apes).

Then, we can let Sween amortize her contract however long he wants (win, win)!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Magic" was a pretty good book. The movie? Not so good.

Posted by: tafka | February 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

peeb peeb

Posted by: tafka | February 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

J Reid's nickname = JasBot?

Posted by: tafka | February 14, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Greg

I just looked at both Jenkins and Giffs stats from last year, and they are very similar. So I can see what you're saying.

Posted by: marlonjohn | February 14, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Kerz, thanks for posting that. I'm so glad that the team locked Cooley up....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 14, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Bless those on here who put that little tool box Jason Canfora in his place. I've had it up to here with his lies and his spin. Could he possibly be a bigger douche bag? Not to mention his smug grin and arrogance he displays on WaPo Live. I seriously can't believe I'm going to have to do this, but I can't in good conscience read his crap anymore--so this is it.

This will be the last time I read Redskins Insider until one of my friends who also reads it informs me that Jason Canfora is no longer covering the team.

Peace y'all.