Short Afternoon Practice/D-Mac Update

Skins cutting down from 2 hours to 1 hour this afternoon, so they'll be on the field from 4-5. The heat, coupled with the mounting bumps and bruises, led to the cutback.

Now, in far more interesting news, got an email from Lance with an update on none other than Darnerien McCants, whose website is something to behold (the male modeling photos still get me every time).

Lance reports:

I haven't read all the comments on this blog, so someone may have already tipped you off to this, BUT, Darnerien McCants was scheduled to have a performance at Blues Alley in Georgetown August 9th. I have to imagine this would have been a show for the ages, and I was going to suggest that this be the next blog outing. However, it looks like old DMac got picked up by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and the show has since been cancelled.
Now I suppose we just have to wait for BLloyd to schedule an appearance...Can you see if there a mandatory singer/song writer WR position on the Redskins' roster?

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 7, 2007; 11:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Ouchies - Who's Going To Block?
Next: Afternoon Update

Comments

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

HA HA! D-Mac! A name I thought I'd never see again!

Posted by: 4skinz | August 7, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

from previous post,

jm220, I was joking... well sort of.

I think most people feel like "the playmaker" is just out there for the show, that his speech (which i didnt watch, b/c I refuse to pay the HOF any attention until Monk gets in) was fake.

I dislike Irvin b/c he's a cowboy and a pain in the a$$.

I agree with you that he doesnt need to be brought down in order to validate Monks HOF-ness.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | August 7, 2007 12:13 PM

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | August 7, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Every time I see that name McCants, I have the memory of Spurrier trying so hard to say him name.

Down with Spurrier

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 7, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read the article about Cooley on the other Washington paper? Well, it's good news, bad news...

Good news is that no one from our the 'Skins D can stop Cooley consistently.

Bad news is that no one from our the 'Skins D can stop Cooley consistently

Can't wait 'til September

Posted by: September | August 7, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Darnerian and Laveranues... we may never again see two names that great on the roster at one time.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

the reciever is 3rd WR... as if we didnt already know that, but here is the confirmation

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... How about Carlester and Algernon Crumpler?

Posted by: Larry Bud | August 7, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Most of you know that I don't like the negativity but I thought I would just pre-empt the likes of Ricky Bobby

So here it goes...D Mac? Didn't "space cowboy" compare him to Art Monk and give him a big bonus only to never play him again?

Whew! Glad to get that off my chest.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 7, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Nate, you still around? Email me a noahatcavteldotnet and we can go over the Queenbee stuff.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | August 7, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"It's bad enough that the league pays so much money to unproven rookies in the first place, but to reward these young men for just starting games is ludicrous. It's time to stop paying them more than the slot they were drafted in just because they are quarterbacks." From Pat Kirwan's article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10284433

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

1 hour of practice this afternoon? I know it's hot, but how much can you actually get done in an hour? Why not just take the afternoon off? Or practice under the lights for a few hours while resting the guys who are really banged up?

Posted by: CC | August 7, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned something about Global warming though if you look at the record temps I am sure Gibbs is use to this:

Washington Dulles Airport: 96 degrees (Tied old record set in 1977)

Not much has really changed around here. Always hot and humid in August.

Posted by: JoeyV | August 7, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

THIS DAY IN RI HISTORY

August 7, 2006 - After two threadless weekend days, Jasno returns with the first in a long line of Monday Morning H-Back-titled posts. Why H-Back instead of Quarterback? Because Jasno's "here to revolutionize the entire industry by co-opting the exact same format ... but calling it something else." We're in the presence of genius here, ladies and gentlemen.

The main thing we learn today is that Heavy Metal Parking Lot and a close relative, The Decline of Western Civilization, are both readily available for purchase from Amazon and many other fine retailers. In the words of our very own Viscount: "I feel culturally enlightened." Indeed.

NOTABLE FIRST POSTERS

P Diddy

Posted by: MV Dame | August 7, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen this? http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bears.asp?id=337645

I couldn't read it all.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 7, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sirius Radio is broadcasting LIVE from Redskin Park today from 1 till 3. If anyone wants to listen it is on channel 124.

Posted by: FYI | August 7, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't want anyone to break a sweat.

Posted by: SMACK | August 7, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

they actually noticed that the sun was getting a Sean Taylor Burn.

Posted by: etrod | August 7, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

From that Bears article: "But Archuleta has skills".

Um. Uh. Maybe they mean his skills in pulling a seriously hot piece of (SJK). That ex-playmate girlfriend/wife of his. Nothing else comes to mind as far as 'skills' and 'Archubingus"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The team is getting picked apart by injuries (not bad ones) at 3/4 speed.

What happens when someone really gets hit?

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes Stumped;

Hopefully it is all precaution, because last time I checked this is a high-impact sport.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Bring on the Blitz. I would love to see Caveman Sellers lay Archibungus out on Dec 6. On national TV even better.

Posted by: Forrest | August 7, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

How could I forget...He can personal protect his guts out!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

And I will say this, not that I am worried, but I am not happy with how this camp is going. Yes, yes, it is only week two, but we need to set a TONE for the season.

Arguments to support why i am unhappy;

1) Players admitting the camp isnt as hard as they expected it.

2) Gibbs saying we need a harder camp, but almost to a fault is letting the players off easy. If he doesnt have the stones to lay down the hammer when needed, then step aside.

3) Portis saying that if Saunders says run thru that brick wall, he will find another way to get it done

4) Players getting nicked up, no serious injuries, but cohesion and understanding the playbook might have to come at the expense of some of these nicked players

5) Coaches being so non-committal about how they expect their players to perform, using phrases like 'have to work harder', 'fighting their guts out' etc... when is someone gonna say if they dont perform their a$$ will be on the bench and we will find someone else who can do the job

Sorry, just ranting here, but I really do not like the TONE of camp.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I was glad to learn that L2 will be brought in earlier than we thought.

I can hear it now: "He throws over the middle to....Oh! Whoa! Is he alright? We'll he sure went down hard."

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

FYI - thanks for the heads up

Grilliams is on Live right now Sirius 124. Talking about pass rushing with Washington.

Posted by: DMan | August 7, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Please feed the blog...
I'm hungry.

Feed me.

Posted by: RI Blog | August 7, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

They are going to talk to Soupy, Rogers, Carter, Vinny...

Posted by: Dman | August 7, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I did see the highlight on Comcast last night of JC hitting Thrash (i think?) for that long TD in the scrimmage. Pretty shweet. I know I am deep into my 40 oz. of Koolaid here, but I do have a good feeling about Soupy. I admit I was not happy when we gave up what we did to get him, but could they actually have known what they were doing?

Man that last swig was good.......

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | August 7, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Feed me.

Posted by: RI Blog | August 7, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? I thought this was supposed to be a more physical training camp. Eversince they stopped going to Carlisle or Frostburg, the camp has beem "called on account of the heat/humidity". What do they expect, Assburn is near the banks of Potomac near former swampland. That's why they used to get out of here, so they could actually practice outside at full speed. What have they been doing at camp that everyone is getting hurt? Everytime I see an update, practices are being either shortend or cancelled.

Posted by: lordthrog | August 7, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Is this a "Little Shop of Horrors" situation?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

On last night/this morning's RI 'wine talk' thread (Injury Update-Bubba Speaks), Jasno says he likes a "goos Shraz". Maybe that's what you're drinking, Pulldownclaw. I'm hoping he means a 'good shiraz', and not a Grey Goose/Shiraz spritzer.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 7, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

lordthrog, my liege, Gibbs is probably the only guy who could have convinced Danny to move camp for football reasons, right? And if he hasn't done that by 2.3, I think it ain't gonna happen.

I think from the Danny's perspective it's become entrenched as something of a money-generator, at least the concessions and gewgaw tents, even after the debacle of charging for admissions... and of course it's more convenient for everybody... I dunno.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Feed Me!

Siris 124 will do.

Posted by: RI Blog (aka Audrey III) | August 7, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmm....I do likey some red wine too, but this feels more like a Crazy Horse Malt Liquor buzz. I'm sorry I missed the wine talk last night tho.....

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | August 7, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Some classic Jasno misspellings of late... he too is rounding into midseason form.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 7, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Initially, I was prepared to lay down some serious ridicule and scoffery on Nate and The Viscount for having myspace pages. But now that I see that D-Mac's webpage links to his myspace page, I see that I've overlooked an important aspect of my professional development.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Say are you gonna finish that Crazy Horse?

Ahem.

Posted by: RI Blog (aka Audrey III) | August 7, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I remember a radio interview with Mr. McCants around the time of the draft when they picked Rogers and Campbell. He was saying how the receivers were going to be awesome and the interviewer (Larrys Michael) asked him who he thought was the best receiver on the roster. Without missing a beat, D-Mac replied, "after me, that would have to be Taylor Jacobs." I am not joking and neither was D-Mac.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

bang,

You beat me to it. Hilarious.

But for the record, I wouldn't even put the McCants signing in the same solar system as the Lloyd deal.

McCants got like 5 mill, with 2 mill to sign.

Lloyd got 30 mill, with 10 mill to sign, plus we made 2 mid-round picks disappear into thin air like Copperfield.

If you can honestly think of 3 other moves worse than Lloyd/Arch/Duckett, in one off-season, by one team, in the history of the NFL.. I'd love to hear them.

And while I'm on my rant (sorry, it's been a few days), it's hard not to like what the Ravens have in Demetrius Williams.

Question: Gibbs and Co. always have said that it's better, and less risky, to pluck and sign a proven player off another NFL roster, right? And that's exactly what we did with Lloyd. But would it really have been "riskier" to just keep the 3rd and 4th round picks we gave up for Lloyd, draft 2 WR's with both of them for 5 and 4 mill deals respectively, and hope that maybe 1 turns out like Williams appears to be with the Ravens.

Best case in my scenario, you have 1 or 2 young rookie WR's who are going to bust their butt for limited money.

Worst case in my scenario is that both don't work out and you lose their signing bonuses, which is what? 2-3 mill?

How is that riskier than signing that thug Lloyd to the kind of deal he got last year? Seriously?

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

You're spot on, Nate. I grew up in Sterling, so I know what it's like in July and August. You want to die because of the humidity, and usually there is no breeze either. Maybe Dee-Dee-Dee Snyder should think about something other than generating revenue, and look to getting the team ready to play at the beginning of the season, rather than than have them in game shape beginning in October. To think, I thought the John Cook was a bad owner, after JKC passed away.

Posted by: lordthrog | August 7, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

ricky bobby,

Money is not an issue for the FO or Gibbs so money does not factor into risk.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 7, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

nyskins,

money absolutely has to factor into risk in the NFL because of the salary cap. if the redskins don't understand that, heaven help us.

look at the lack of depth on our lines right now... that right there proves to you just how costly it is to have so much dead cap money tied up in guys like Arch, or have so much money invested in guys like Lloyd.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

RB,
Signing proven veterans typically yields better players, provided money is no object, and it wasn't with JKC or now with the Danny.

In a post-cap world, money is the object. So drafting players (low 1st rounders, and 2nd and 3rd rounders) and coaching them up is they way to do it.

It may be that someone in the FO, finally got the memo that there is a salary cap.

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Money SHOULD factor into risk, but the argument that Gibbs and co have made about risk in terms of FA pickups vs. rookies is that you have proven vets who you KNOW can play in the NFL right away. Money is NOT talked about when making these statements/arguments.

Also, the skins are magicians and dealing with cap space and I would argue that cap room has NOT prevented them from doing anything they've wanted to do from a FA pickup standpoint.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 7, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...FO...did you get the memo? Yeah...

Posted by: Bill Lumbergh | August 7, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

With all the wasted money thrown around at the Park, why in God's green earth is there not an air conditioned, temperature controlled, bubblelike structure in place?

Space is not the issue, they could easily build it, right next to the Danny/Vinny racquetball court.

Posted by: k Squared | August 7, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

To elaborate a tiny bit more: we're never sitting at the beginning of the offseason wondering why we don't have any room or $ to sign players. We're stuck wondering where the heck all of our draft picks went.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 7, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Uh...Yeah...We're going to need you to...Uh...read that salary cap memo.
Mmmmm-kay?

Posted by: Bill Lumbergh | August 7, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Bad news is that no one from our the 'Skins D can stop Cooley consistently

Can't wait 'til September."

This team has no direction whatsoever. I've said it before on here I'll apologize to everyone if the Skins make the playoffs but they won't.

They draft a$$-backwards(meaning they draft no linemen...ever), they make horrid FA signings, and they throw away draft picks like candy when they actually have them.

I don't feel sorry for them at all. I don't wish injuries on any of them, but they are getting what they deserve right now. Both lines have NO depth, or even decent starters(although injuries are not the players fault).

I've been with them during the good times and I'll continue through the bad. But until Snyder sells the team they will just be known as the "Raiders of the East."

Someone asked Ritchie Petibone when he was fired if he would draft all O & D linemen in the next draft and his answer was an emphatic "yes."

Casserly drafted both Samuels and Jansen. Who has this bunch of morons drafted on either side since that has actually started and made a difference? They keep trying to talk us into believing that 35 year old dude 8 years past his prime is the answer. I just don't buy it anymore.

This is a 6-11 team this season, watch and see. Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but it starts up front(meaning O & D lines) and this team just doesn't have the horses.

Get ready to hear a lot of "they played thier guts out but I don't know what happend" from Gibbs in the post game pressers.

A couple years ago when the Skins made the post season they were actually learning to win again. What did they do? They blew up the team and signed all of those bums when all they ahd to do is sign who they had.

Leave it to Snyder, he just has to have the "big names" so he can make money. All the Redskins are is Fantasy Football to him.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 7, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

nyskinsfan,
I know where you're coming from, but they're playing shell games and three-card monte; not magicians.

I do think we're suffering from a Salary Cap hangover. Depth is more important than ever.

Some of the veterans are a bit jaded. "Gosh, durn hot out here in Ashburn." Some of the younger 2 and 3rd rounders want to make a name for themselves.

Sources of motivation: Desire vs Fear
Too much fear in ashburn, not enough desire.

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

k sq,

good point about the ammenities at the Park...

nyskins,

I agree with you to a certain point. I know folks on RI hate when names like Pierce, Smoot, etc are still brought up, but the Skins lost those guys not because they wanted them gone, but because they did in fact run out of money in those particular off-seasons.

I really think it's going to take the loss of a Chris Cooley or Jason Campbell (?) for people to really understand the affects of signing guys like Lloyd, Arch, etc every other year when we free up some money. Man, I hope it never comes to that (as I press my #47 jersey in prepartion for the season) but we could have already had him signed (like Dockery) if we had a more rational approach to player personnel... now we are at risk of losing him if/when he gets to free agencey (ahem, like we did with Dockery)...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The inherent risk associated with the salary cap makes money one of the biggest issues in the NFL today, and has given us the wonderful parity to be able to enjoy almost every single game throughout the season.

The opposite side of the coin from risk is of course reward...Dan Snyder gets multiple rewards even though the Super Bowl (probably his top goal) eludes him. Thus, the empty Lombardi case #4 doesn't sting as much when he sees how much money he made in 04,05,etc etc...

As a fan though, the only reward I can reap (no pun) from the skins are wins and, ideally, a super bowl. Thus I'm a "Fanatic". I continously invest time, energy, and money into an organization that I'm completely powerless over. But, I do have this wonderful tool called "BLOG" with which I can b!tch about the FO endlessly.

Optimism/Pessimism are no longer methods. Once you step foot into the blog, you are a helpless pawn of Redskin Nation. Enjoy.

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 7, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, just ranting here, but I really do not like the TONE of camp.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 01:29 PM

Zebra,

I agree with you, but my reservation is that I don't know whether the problem is with the tone of the camp or with the tone of the reporting about the camp. I still believe there are some good stories from the camp -- players exceeding expectations, timing, new schemes -- that aren't getting told for one reason or another. But, maybe this is all that is happening out there -- injuries and underachieving. Maybe we'll all learn something in the first exhibition game

Posted by: KK | August 7, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I propose that Mike Sellers be affectionately referred to as "The Jeep."

Anyone on board?

I also like the Apollo Creed-esque "Master of Disaster."

Posted by: TDawg | August 7, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That is an interesting point of view!

Posted by: Hugh Gerection | August 7, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Samuels was taken at #3 by Vinny & Co. in 00. Give them credit, Peter Warrick was still on the board.

I like 'Master of Disaster'. How about the Walla Walla Mauler?

Posted by: etrod | August 7, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Gary Fitz says "Tight end Eric Edwards and defensive end Bryant Shaw were both held out of practice due to heat-related illness." and that Grilliams says LaRon is trying too hard to make "the big play" (something about how vets conserve movement and how LaRon is still 'herky jerky') ... Grilliams also expresses his manlove for Jeff Fisher (Titans HC).

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You could go w/ the Thunderdome's own "Master Blaster"...although we'd have to note obvious difference once the helmet's off.

Or "Juggernaut"?

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 7, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

His pet name could be "Jugs". Everyone loves jugs, right?

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 7, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Pub,

You should honestly be a writer.

Ray,

F&&& (SJK), that even made me depressed... but obviously I couldn't agree with you more. Sad state of affairs.

Just a week I said 9-7 or 10-6, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of 7-9 or 6-10 and a season ticket renewal letter being tossed in the trash in March '08.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I say sellers nickname should be plain, simple and destructive like him...jm 220, oh wait sorry, visions of hammers dancing in my head...

no seriously, he is "The Beast"

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

KK;

But wouldnt we see that type of quote from one of them? Grilliams saying that if they dont play then they sit, etc..

Jansen said something about Danny Smith about the HOF, Jansen obviously respects him... you know what he does that no-one else does? He gets in his players face and lites them up... old school. Everyone said Gibbs is old school, but more and more he just looks old. %(

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry won't start till Grilliams decides he's over his herky-jerkitude.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I realize a pre-preseason depth chart is worth the http its written on by the PR department (and I know that it doesn't show 4th string guys), but that one has Bryant Shaw at DT and does NOT include Omar Stoutmire anywhere.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Holy shmoly! I sat down at breakfast to catch up with RI and now I'm having lunch and I just finished. . . okay I did do some other things too.

I think I had every emotion - sadness, laughter, tears, annoyed, laugh, annoyed, panic, excitment, boredom, laugh, annoyed, laugh, laugh, excitment, panic, anxiety, annoyed, laugh, excitment . . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that maybe too much information is a bad thing for us the hamsters?

I realize that in the past I've relied primarily on WaPo print edition + some sports TV for my TC updates. It kept me informed and yet not out of my head with roller coaster emotions and reactions.

Maybe this 24/7 print + radio + TV + internets + blog is bad and that is what is giving me the shakes. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I am safely back in SF in the fog and cold.

You people who live in DC and environs are SJKing crazy! How and why did I put up with those SJKing summers all those years!?!

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby: [running around on the track in his underwear] Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

sfskin, you need to keep it coming ... develop the endurance ... per Vermeil "you need to HANDLE your enthusiasm".

Wikipedia is SO fast. D-Mac already appears on the site's Tiger-Cat's roster (along with teammates Jesse Lumsden and former Skin summer roster guy, Jonta Woodard). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tiger-Cats

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Belated thanks to JustMe and LG aka dealer for pics.

Ummm "ReMax" Training Camp? Ugh! Worse - $4 for soda!!! You shouldn't get within 10 feet of soda on a 3 million degree day.

The Danny has NO SHAME! (I assume those prices etc. are organization approved.)

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

SF,

knowledge is giving you the shakes? Or is it the new Mad Dog 20/20 Kool Aid flavor from your corner grocer?

Mine was so good I just ordered my Landry jerseys, home and away.

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 7, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pub - both I think. : )

I was just contemplating investing in a Landry jersey. I confess I only have one and I got it just last year - throwback Moss with the spear.

Here is my totally bizarre suggestion for Sellars nickname "Pop Rocks"

Tortured logic for why - Mike aka Mikey - Mikey from the Life cereal commercials who many gave an untimely death due to Pop Rocks and soda which is by far one of the great urban legends.

Mike "Pop Rocks" Sellars "He likes it, he really likes it."

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I think the fog is seeping into my brain.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Other thing I was thinking about which has an equally goofy quality to it and may be entirely unworkable but here goes:

As a blog tribute/rememberance/gift for Ahmad - a Skins jersey with the #4 and "Saraye" on the back?

Again may be inappropriate and not sure how we pull it off.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

At least that makes a good RI shirt sfskin... a pic of #45 laying a block with the caption, Mikey Likes It!!

money

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

RB

your a real ray of sunshine.... chill save your preditions till you see some games. we have beat on the FO all off season, thats over they realized and cut two mistakes (arch and duckett) llyod gets this year and dock signed for absurd money. no way he is worth that kinda $ cooley has real talent and is a core guy they will sign or franchise him and sign if he has the kind of year we expect.

All teams have depth problems somewhere we just don't follow them as closely as we do the skins. If the eagles left tackle goes down think they feel real comfy about his replacement i doubt it, colts think they are set at dline no way...you could go through all 32 teams and pick one or more spots if injuries strike that squad is in trouble

come sept all teams will have 53 guys on the roster we will pick the our best 53 and see what happens

Posted by: Old School | August 7, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for giving Lloyd another chance, esp. when they haven't even played a preseason game. But nothing I've read demonstrates any real self-realization. His blog does nothing to convince me otherwise. Even JLaC has ceded all Blloyd coverage to Steinberg. Until further notice, to me, the #3 WR is the new Gardner, Rod. Yes ... Lloyd, Brandon.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW Old School you are an island of calm in the nervous nellie storm. Thank you!

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And what confuses me sween, which begs the question who is running the ship, Lloyd Brandon was tagged as a locker room distraction in SF. Yet we still picked him up?

So who made that sell? Andre Carter? The money we paid him and Randle El we could have had any top flight FA WR... Branch, Walker...

Oh well.

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

some real gems in here:

This Just In: There IS an "I" in Team

The game of football is a team sport--no one will argue that point--but my theory on it is that individuals make the team model work.

Quit your day job, please.

Before every game, I always prepare with my music...and when I say "my music," I mean "my own music."

Nothing can stop a man with a strong work ethic.

Another reason night practices are great is that we get an extended break in the middle of the day to sleep and get treatment. And we get the next morning off.

Posted by: CMoney | August 7, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll step back... first of all. I'm not saying there is no risk to the FO's and Gibbs approach to obtaining players. There are tons of risks. BUT in terms of the argument that Gibbs and the FO make about building through FA aquisitions, they refer to risk (and I'm not sure that word is even used) in terms of having a known commodity (someone who has played in the NFL) vs. an unknown commodity (rookie).

And, please don't argue that the Skins should have paid what the Bills paid for Dockery. I'm not saying they are doing things right in terms of winning championships, BUT Dan and co. NEVER have a problem paying a player what they want to get paid if they REALLY want that player in a Redskins uniform.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 7, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

dc

for what it's worth i don't see them giving lloyd to long to get it together, if he is not productive the first qtr of the season you will see espy or bradford thrash alot more.

Posted by: Old School | August 7, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

And looking back to the 05 receiving stats, in the top 30 for touchdowns, we had three players... Moss, Cooley and Sellars... So rushing TD's arent always the answer St Joe..

Posted by: Zebra | August 7, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ny

bingo on proven vs unproven

bingo on blank check writing for players they really want.

Posted by: Old School | August 7, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Z, my current take on Lloyd, Brandon is about the upcoming season, not about how he got here in the first place. The offseason signings prior to last season are split milk under the bridge that we burned. I'm over that part of it.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

And the Euro hair doesn't really seem that Euro either.

The only Euro guy currently on the team is Jason Campbell (per the youtube "Jason Campbell is country" ... where he denies he is country and says he is more 'Mediterranean').

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

its not the money ....its talent evaluation thats the problem.... it has been pointed out lack of middle/ late round draft choices (thrown away) on .....poorly evaluated veteran players....but thats the past, i think they are learning, Next year we have all but one pick.

Posted by: Old School | August 7, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

But look what happens when "proven" doesn't fit our system, or has a bad attitude, or completely SUCKS... compound that with the ridiculous amount of money you have to give "proven" over "unproven", and that strategy seems to backfire, doesn't it?

Also, I would have NEVER given Dockery the kind of loot he got from Buffalo. But I also think that we could have (and would have) re-signed him during last season, for probably half as much too, if we only had the money. If you don't believe me, please remember Ladell Betts. Didn't we have to beg a few players (Brunell in particular) to restructure mid-season just to make that deal happen? If you're smart and not reckless, you don't come within 4 dollars of the cap max every single season. You save to re-sign some guys mid-season, like we could have done with Dock and had to beg to do with Betts.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Dockery wouldn't be a 'Skin if we only had some money to conduct business with during last season.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

In reading all of BLloyds blog post, his point on individuals making the team model work is valid. Each individual must work to make themselves the best they can be and trust that everyone else is doing the same. That isn't a selfish statement. He also seems to have turned a corner in the worth ethic department. From all accounts, he has worked his butt off and is in the best shape of his career.

Posted by: skinny | August 7, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

We need to show the world that the RI blog extends far beyond this ol' forum. Let's get a consensus on Sellers' nickname, start using it, and see if we can get lay fans and journalists to pick up on it. Hell, if he has a nickname, they'll probably put him in the Pro-Bowl this year (he was almost in last year without a nickname).

So far we have:

The Jeep
The Beast
Pop Rocks
Juggs (Juggernaut)

Chat it up!

Posted by: TDawg | August 7, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

See, it happens to all teams. And guess what RB, they don't have a pro bowl back-up. Go figure.

BROWN GOES DOWN

According to media reports out of New Orleans, Saints left tackle Jamaal Brown suffered what could turn out to be a serious knee injury on Tuesday.

Brown was taken off of the field on a cart after being hurt during blocking drills.

Zach Strief, a seventh-round draft pick in 2006, is listed as the primary backup to Brown at left tackle. We suppose it's also possible that right tackles Jon Stinchcomb or Rob Pettiti could be moved to the left side, if Brown is out for the year.

An intriguing possibility would be for the Saints to attempt to lure Willie Roaf out of retirement. Roaf was a first-round pick, and a perennial Pro Bowler, in New Orleans before being traded to Kansas City.

Posted by: CMoney | August 7, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Colts lost Booger McFarland at DT, too.

Posted by: TDawg | August 7, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

My wife, whose favorite player is ol' Mikey Sellers, suggests Mike "The Mack" Sellers, as in "Mack Truck" or "Mack Daddio" (for the lady fans). Kinda reminiscent of Diesel too, which I like.

It gets my vote. An unbiased one, too!

Posted by: TDawg | August 7, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

CMoney,

I hate to disagree with you here, but the Saints made the NFC Championship Game last year. We were 5-11. 'nuff said, man.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

96th!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

RB,

You're still missing my point. Please don't infer that I agree with the philosphy of building via free agency.

I think that building via free agency is a bad thing to do for many reasons. Team chemistry is a big one. I still stick by my point about the skins keeping the players around that they really want to keep around. I'm not an expert on salary cap management by any means, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 7, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we just call this the "NEGATIVITY" blog? Everyone seems sooo negative. Please wait until the season starts...

dcsween, about Taylor Jacobs....I've heard most of the players say he was "great" on the practice field. Shawn Springs said Jacobs was the best receiver we had during practice. For some reason, he just could not step up during the games.

Posted by: Lisa | August 7, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not negative; I'm trying to get Mike "The Mack" Sellers some spotlight!

Posted by: TDawg | August 7, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

FEED ME!

Posted by: RI Blog (aka Audrey III) | August 7, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If only we could all get paid for being exceptional in practice....I mean, just once I want my boss to call me in and say, "Mile High, I hear you review a mean contract on your own time, here's a fat bonus."

Posted by: mile high | August 7, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know a good NFL Stats website? I am trying to debate Art Monk's stats against players of his day.

Posted by: texaspete8 | August 7, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

texaspete8,
See previous post (on this thread?) with comparison to Irvin, Micheal (wife-beater).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

nyskins,

I hear ya. I really do. Maybe they didn't want Dock or some of these other guys around; however, if they somehow lose Cooley, you will have no other choice but to agree with my point, which is that the cap is causing more harm to this team than they care to let on... deal? good, great, grand.

I'd love to see some numbers on Monk. It's an absolute travesty that a guy can retire as the best ever in his position, yet still not be in the Hall. And don't even get me started on what a class act he's been, especially after comparing him to guys like Irvin. His number better get called, it better be this year, and it better come with a long apology letter from this ridiculous committee.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

whoops, that was from me above.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | August 7, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread...

Art Monk's career statistics:
224 games, 940 receptions, 12,721 yards, 13.5 avg, 68 TD

#6 all time in receptions, #11 in receiving yards, 3 time Pro Bowler, 2 time All Pro, First player to reach 900 receptions, Retired with the single season record for receptions (106), Won three Super Bowl rings, although he didn't play in one of those games due to injury

Michael Irvin's career statistics:
159 games, 750 receptions, 11,904 yards, 15.9 avg, 65 TD

#20 all time in receptions, #14 in receiving yards, 5 time Pro Bowler, 1 time All Pro, Won three Super Bowl rings

Just looking at that, you'd think Monk would have made it before Irvin.

Posted by: R. Bobby Hater | August 7, 2007 11:44 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"Has anyone seen this? http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bears.asp?id=337645
I couldn't read it all."

All they talk about is how the guy blitzes the passer. He is a slow
slug of a safety best used against the run in the box. Wait til they
see Landry and da Reaper blitz. You have to know that is coming this year. It could be devastating for opposing teams QBs especially with Washington lining up to rush.

But first they have to stop the run with Cornelius, Kefin, Anthony, and London.

Posted by: periculum | August 7, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

JASON is famous now ... maybe infamous at Redskins Park ... and for this blog!!!

Isn't it time he posted a little FAQ at the top about Cyn Cyty and himself? At least he should tell us which team he roots for so that we can razz him on it when they lose to the Skins?

Posted by: periculum | August 7, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, OK. Just funnin. I do believe that Lloyd, Brandon deserves another shot ... and not just on the practice field. I just have sour grapes about Taylor Jacobs b/c I foolishly thought I was getting real insider info from D-Mac (and was a huge Jacobs advocate based on it ... and suffered the associated indignities for it).

Mike Sellers has whatever nickname it is that his teammates gave him -- "Dat [something]."

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4:32 p.m. ET

No official word yet, but the Redskins have brought in running back Dee Brown to practice. It's likely that he has been signed.

Brown is a five-year veteran who has played with Carolina, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Kansas City. He knows Al Saunders from the 2005 season when both were with the Chiefs.

In his career, Brown has rushed for 405 yards and four touchdowns on 119 carries. Last year with the Chiefs, he logged 10 carries for 24 yards in limited duty.

The 5-10, 210-pounder played his college ball at Syracuse.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

RB

the saints added a pro bowl QB and a good young coach and thats about all it takes to compete in the nfc ....(yeah i know i over simplify) but really not by much.

You have to start there not the other way round.... its a new era for us, a new start...thats what gives us a chance... don't worry about the left guard or inside linebacker or whatever right now.....you worry about that when you get to a point you can compete every year .... then you say what are the pieces we need to get over the top.... lets compete first behind campbell.

Posted by: Old School | August 7, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Five year verteran with four different temas. WOW

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 7, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

*teams

At least I spelled WOW right!!

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 7, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

periculum, where have you been? Or where were you last year? It's a well known fact that Jason supports the Ravens....he also enjoys hockey and different types of music. He has broken his pinky toe on two different occasions.

Posted by: Lisa | August 7, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby --

That response makes absolutely no sense.

I am merely pointing out that there are few (if any) teams in the NFL these days with great line depth. No team can afford to have 7 or 8 starter quality lineman on their roster because of free agency. Look at the Colts -- their LT retires and they are left holding their frank and beans. Look at the Ravens -- they will have an old Ogden and a bunch of rookies/second year guys on that line.

Posted by: CMoney | August 7, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Pretty Boy Lloyd looks like he's a member of New Edition circa 1987.

I think he deserves another shot for one reason and that is he's getting paid a shti (SJK) load of money so put him out there and force him to earn it.

If he has turned it around and proves to be the receiver we expect than excellent cause that is why we got him in the first place.

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

If they were looking for a free agent RB, I'd have gone for Reno Mahe. He's put up more yards, he returns punts, and he knows Philly's play book.

Posted by: dcsween | August 7, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,
Any reason we can't keep Ahmad's thread open? I was hoping to post a few more messages there.

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

But all you need to know is that he was voted to the All-80's team by the HOF.

Posted by: CMoney | August 7, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey look Rick Meier . . .I mean Brady Quinn finally signed a contract!

Mind you I suppose I may eat my words someday. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 7, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

One day after suffering a high ankle sprain, offensive lineman Will Whitticker has been released.

The signing of Dee Brown signals that the Redskins are somewhat concerned about Ladell Betts' neck injury.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Let me see if we can reopen Ahmad's thread.

Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for the renassaince of Bloyd. You see that new do-cut? He was in the chair next to the prince when the pony tail got cut!

"Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their @ss."

Posted by: Pub Golf | August 7, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Anon,
Why would they release Whitticker? They've been raving about him.

Posted by: Stumped | August 7, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm worried. Everytime I look at the blog I see a post about the Skins cutting practices short or not holding two a days. Didn't Gibbs learn anything from last year?! Babying the team isn't going to toughen them up for the trials of a season. I realize it's hot out, but that's what water and monitoring players condition is for - if a player needs a break, fine, but don't automatically give the team a break just because it's hot! two 2.5 hour practices a day is what this team needs!

Posted by: OldManGibbs | August 8, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

3wn3be1ke http://www.919761.com/1053171.html > f7yfcejd [URL=http://www.680636.com/901199.html] 62cdo48p6 [/URL] rltnagf84ex33

Posted by: mwa6tlueqa | August 22, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

uolat1x2 http://www.872026.com/1068723.html > gp2b4myw8mnfvcyl [URL=http://www.481834.com/486859.html] 3ynxxkpkhfqxwd [/URL] 1navwr0qo9q8z9vk1

Posted by: asngwy9txa | August 22, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse