Posted at 7:00 AM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Should Chris Hanburger be a Hall of Famer?

By Barry Svrluga

Which Redskin made more Pro Bowls than any other? Bobby Mitchell and Russ Grimm went four times, Sonny Jurgensen five, Darrell Green seven, Charley Taylor eight. But the Redskin with the most Pro Bowl appearances: Linebacker Chris Hanburger, who went nine times. Each of the other players is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. On Saturday, Hanburger finds out whether or not he will join them.

Hanburger was nominated by the Hall of Fame's senior committee in August, and he appears to be a strong candidate. After the Redskins drafted him in the 18th and final round of the 1965 draft from the University of North Carolina, he played his entire 14-year career in Washington. His first Pro Bowl appearance came in just his second season; his last in 1975, when he was 35. He was a first-team all-pro four times.

A vicious blitzer in a 4-3 scheme long before blitzing was popular, Hanburger also had to be strong enough to stop the run. Sacks weren't kept as an official statistic when Hanburger played, but he intercepted 19 passes, recovered 17 fumbles, scored five touchdowns and was an anchor for the defenses - a primary member of the "Over the Hill Gang" -- that helped George Allen have a successful run as coach in Washington. In his final season, 1978, he started all 16 games - a mainstay to the last.

Hanburger was named one of the 70 greatest Redskins in 2002. He is in the team's Ring of Fame. Is he a Hall of Famer?

By Barry Svrluga  | February 1, 2011; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How much would you pay to take the Redskins public?
Next: Coin Toss: Chris Hanburger in a landslide?

Comments

Should Chris Hanburger be a Hall of Famer?

Tough call, this one.

Why?: the group that's up for HOF consideration is a collection of a lot of very deserving players.

And given the usual redskin bias infecting the sports media, I doubt Hanburger gets in.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Talk about a no brainer. He should definately be in....and take Pat Fisher with him.

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 1, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

So you want to draft a linebacker?

Grooming Linebackers the Steeler Way

You read this article and think that maybe a solution to some of the linebacking issues some of us see, is in-house.

Guys who sat awhile like Robjax, Chris Wilson, Perry Riley, Robert Henson, are after thoughts in redskinsland.

The steelers POV would be that they are learning the defense while the team finds a role for them in it.

Maybe we should draft some beefy, fast young d-linemen to put in front of them, and let them go to work.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CHICO13 | February 1, 2011 7:30 AM

Agree, would like to see both 55 and 37 in there.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 1, 2011 7:55 AM | Report abuse

There should be no doubt. He should have been HOF years ago. Nice to see the senior committee recognizing this great Redskins linebacker. It was a pleasure to have been able to watch him play. He could tackle high better than any Used to try and copy his style as a kid. Here's hoping for him!! Se ya in Canton next summer!!!

Posted by: jmeaicp | February 1, 2011 7:56 AM | Report abuse

"Guys who sat awhile like Robjax, Chris Wilson, Perry Riley, Robert Henson, are after thoughts in redskinsland"

I truly hope not moe, that would be a mistake in my eye's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 1, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I truly hope not....that would be a mistake in my eye's....

To be honest, I think the hyperbole isn't in order as from what we saw at the end of the season, these young linebackers did get some playing time.

Maybe you let Rocky McIntosh go, add a FA linebacker, and draft another.

But let's get the guys we already have playing to see if there is a linebacker 'diamond in the rough' to be had out of the group.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM

Great article Moe. Let's get a few big, fast uglies for the d-line.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 1, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Hanburger is an interesting guy. Never was much of a "fan" of football, he just liked to play. He didn't grow up watching football. He didn't even know he had been drafted by the Redskins until he was told by friends...and thought about not reporting. Once there, he was Riggo back when Riggo was still hopping clods back in Kansas. He butted heads with coaches (even Lombardi)and generally tried to get by with as little conditioning/work as possible. Post career, he watches more college football than he ever thought he would and catches "parts" of Redskin and other NFL games.
There is no way he should be left out of the HOF. He was great, not good...and his unique story and attitude about football would add to the Hall.

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 1, 2011 8:14 AM | Report abuse

To me, HOF implies being one of the very best at your position while you were playing. Back when Hanburger was playing, Pro Bowl voting wasn't just about who was more famous, so being voted to the Pro Bowl 9 times is a HOF worthy accomplishment. Plus, he was my 2nd favorite player growing up (Larry Brown was my favorite).

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | February 1, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I agree Moe,

Play some of the young guys. I think Rocky has seen better days and its time to find his replacement.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 1, 2011 8:19 AM | Report abuse

MColeman51

I agree that Hanburger should get in.

But you know like I do, six modern players (an outstanding class!, IMO) will get in, and one 'old-timer'.

So, which 'old-timer'--both deserving--should get in:

a. Ed Sabol

b. Chris Hanburger

Nothing against Hanburger--it's just the way it is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

But...but ...but...Ed Sabol tackled like a girl.

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 1, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM

Great article Moe. Let's get a few big, fast uglies for the d-line.

Posted by: wireman65 | February 1, 2011 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I still like that Von Miller kid...if he is there at #10 we should take him then address the beef up front in the 2nd.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 1, 2011 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Try not to stink it up too bad before the morning crew shows up.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 1, 2011 12:28 AM

This is a good place for a Stick-Up.

Hanburger? Yes, of course.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

If you intent is to draft Von Miller to play ILB next to Fletch, then I say draft him.

If not, then I disagree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Who are the NERDS that represent the 2% that voted no? It was you wasn't it PlayAction?

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 8:30 AM | Report abuse

As a child Hanburger was my favorite player. Hope he makes it!

Posted by: bbirdy202 | February 1, 2011 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 8:30 AM

I can't vote...both of us only get half a vote anyhow.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

They WILL put Hanburger in. Im pretty sure the Senior Committee has put two in the last several years. 4 ALL PROS, maybe more impressive than the 9 PB's. Even though I agree PB was more of an honor then. Interesting note about Hanburger: The Skins tried to trade him to Detroit. He walked away from the game at that point in favor of keeping his family in Upper Marlboro...

Posted by: Club320 | February 1, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse

with all due respect to ed sabol's contribution to the game of football and the nfl, he never played the game, and hanburger did.

hope hanburger and fisher make it in. still love the way fisher played harold carmichael

Posted by: hessone | February 1, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

So you want to draft a linebacker?

Grooming Linebackers the Steeler Way

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

That was a great article about Linebacker U. at Pittsburg. Maybe our defense needs a couple of years for the concepts to sink in especially if it takes 2-4 years for a rookie Steeler LB to start understanding where he is suppose to be under multiple schemes.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 1, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Grooming Linebackers the Steeler Way

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting, Moe. But remember, Stillers system has been evolving for years, with stability of coaching staff. DC and LB coach have been same for 7-8 years. Haslett has been in this system, but the players need several years to just learn the basics. Maybe 2011 will be an easier year for out D, but it is still a transition. Yes, we have some good depth players at LB, but I'm still not opposed to drafting another one. I'm still for the BPA.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | February 1, 2011 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Chris Hanburger has my vote for what little its worth.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 1, 2011 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Moe, interesting point about the developing LBs already on the roster. Who would have thought the practice squad guy, Anthony Armstrong, would have turned into a legit roster spot guy this season?

Posted by: dcsween | February 1, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Chris Hamburger was a good linebacker, not a great one. If the criteria for placing someone in the Hall is that they were "good", then let him in; however, if the criteria is for being "great", I can't see him in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | February 1, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 8:51 AM | Report abuse

For all the years the redskins have been under Snyder's watch....what was he thinking?????..........You need Stability..Stability...Stability. And it really bothers me when I see some of the fans wanting coaching changes after only one year....no wonder why we are in the bottom of the NFC East.

Even a business can not succeed if it goes through multiple changes in organization structure and key personnel every year.

Posted by: flyinggoose1 | February 1, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

frediefritz

I'm of a mind that if you improve the defensive lineplay, our entire defense steps up a notch.

And when you look at our defense, the linemen positions are were the issues lie.

Draft by BPA or Need?: the best combination would be the best player availiable at a position of need.

And for us, that would be Phil Taylor or any nose tackle that leaves the combine with high marks.

I'd like to take the packers route the year they snagged BJ Raji high in '09.

(Raji might have a dominating Super Bowl as M Pouncey, the steelers starting center is out.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | February 1, 2011 9:01 AM

"Good" vs "great" is up for debate.

Nine pro bowls suggests he was among the best of his era spanning a decade.

Advantage: "great."

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

if the criteria is for being "great", I can't see him in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Posted by: ridge_road_marco | February 1, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

YOUR criteria for greatness being....???

Posted by: Club320 | February 1, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Senior Nominees are voted on seperately than everyone else, so Willie Roaf or Chris Carter or Marshall Faulk, whoever gets in, won't effect if he gets in or not. In fact, I think they put in both senior nominees last year. Elfin better do a good job of representing Chris.

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Mistammoe wrote: "I say the folks will look at Sabol's work to make the NFL media friendly (how many of us grew up on NFL Films?) and decide that he, not Hanburger, should get in."

Mistamoe also wrote: "Tough call, this one.

Not that Hanburger is not, but do you vote him in, and not, say Ed Sabol or Willie Roaf?"

Mistamoe, you need to check your math. The HOF voters can elect up to seven inductees: 5 "contemporary" players, and 2 senior players. They can elect both Hanburger and Sabol (and they will), and up to 5 contemporary players. They can NOT elect 7 contemporary players, and Hanburger vs. Sabol is not an issue - it's not either/or.

As for the Redskins bias you mention, I have no idea what you are talking about in this context. Since 2000, the following Redskins have gotten in: Russ Grimm, Art Monk, Darrell Green, and George Allen. I don't have time to count, but 4 inductees in that brief period is pretty good - not too many teams can top that.

So, should Hanburger get in? Absolutely. He made 9 Pro Bowls (and that was before fans voted, so his peers selected him), and he played many seasons as a seriously undersized linebacker. He was tough as nails, and probably the reason why clothesline tackles are illegal now! He was also extremely active in the community.

Posted by: kemp13 | February 1, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

As a child Hanburger was my favorite...

Posted by: bbirdy202 | February 1, 2011 8:32 AM

Mmmmmmm..... hamburger!

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Wtf is going on around here.

Did they close the Tailgate Zone?

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

kemp13

You're right, my math is bad.

So I'm wrong: Hanburger and Sabol should both get in.

My bhadddd.

I am not perfect.

But it is okay if folks think that I am.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I am not perfect.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:14 AM

Aren't you the guy who repeatedly posts "Not trying to be first, only the most perfect"? Or do I have you confused with someone else? hessone? diesel44, flip-flop?

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"Not trying to be first, only the most perfect"

It's:

Not trying to be first, just the BEST!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Not trying to be first, only the most perfect"

It's:

Not trying to be first, just the BEST!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:26 AM

Semantics. I read that as "Guilty as charged, your honor." But the court is feeling merciful today. We'll let you off with time served, plus a warning not to appear again before this magistrate.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Tough call, this one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse
________

This one is very senimental for me, because Chris Hanburger was my first Redskins hero when I was 3 years old and going to RFK with my dad. But my bias aside, he was truly dominant in his time, and how can the voters continue to ignore 9 pro bowls? Is there any player out there who's been to more who's not in the hall of fame? He definitely deserves to be there, and I think he will. For the most part, the seniors committee choices get in, if I recall.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 1, 2011 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Pros:
9 pro bowls.
6 all pro selections (4 1st team)
DPY in 1972 (a superbowl season)

Cons:
Not media friendly

In any other HOF vote he would be a no brainer. Unfortunatley, in the NFL, the only con on the list accounts for 70% of the grade.

I hope he gets in. I don't think he will.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 1, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not watching this.

Hanburger should be in - for the name alone!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 1, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM

Idiot(s). You misread the offer. It wasn't my house, it was my stadium. And it wasn't free. It was BOGO -- buy one get one free. In your case, buy one and your puppet Monk gets one free, which I guess is the same thing: two names, one mouth, one gullet. Otherwise, you were exactly correct.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | February 1, 2011 8:42 AM | Report abuse
_______

He used to work at the Ford dealership in Upper Marlboro. I heard them page him one day in the mid-'90s as I was sitting there waiting on my car. Pretty normal life now, I guess. Glad he landed on his feet after the NFL.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 1, 2011 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Hanburger definitely should get in. He and Pardee were consummate linebackers, almost never out of position and never missed tackles. CH was probably the greatest "shirt" tackler of all time. Rarely went for the lower legs. Of course if he played now he would be called for about four horse collar penalties a game.

Posted by: NYPDee | February 1, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

This coming from a Redskin purest who's been watching since 1965. I vote no. Mainly because, for being a linebacker, I never ONCE saw Chris Hanburger really hit anybody. He was on the smaller side so it was likely self-preservation I'm sure, but he was the quintessential arm tackler. That was particularly evident in the 60’s when the offense would put up 35+ points a game and the defense would give up 38. I think George Allen did A LOT to put him in the right position to make plays. And, he always seemed to have a knack for coming up with a key interception, just when it was needed. But he was more like a blitzing safety than a linebacker, in my opinion. There were a dozen better linebackers in the league at the time.

Posted by: Overtime58 | February 1, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Otherwise, you were exactly correct.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:37 AM

Haha...guess I just focused on the two most important words...beer and free...I hope that my post didn't cause you any inconvenience...at least we'll still have an unlimited supply of fries, right?

What are your thoughts on tomorrow nights game? I'm thinking Terps 24, Duke 20.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

And fries too, make sure you put extra salt on mine!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

And fries too, make sure you put extra salt on mine!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

And fries too, make sure you put extra salt on mine!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

What are your thoughts on tomorrow nights game? I'm thinking Terps 24, Duke 20.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:47 AM

What's that? Turnovers? Personal fouls?

Duke 93
Merryland 61

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Everyone to beep's house...FREE BEER!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 9:29 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I should take offense to this, but I get a free beer. Sorry Play, hope you have money in our pocket!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Play, hope you have money in our pocket!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 9:55 AM

Well if his prediction for tomorrow nights game holds true...I'll need to buy us lots of free beers.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Barry... Are you insane??? That might be the stupidest sports question I've ever seen! Gee... Should Harmon Killebrew be in the Hall of Fame??? Should Karl Malone be in the Hall of Fame??? Should Rod Langway be in the Hall of Fame??? No Hall-of-Fame eligible NFL player with a combined 15 or more Pro Bowl (9) and All-Pro (6) selections (not to mention a 1972 defensive player of the year award) has been denied induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame... except Chris Hanburger! If Chris Hanburger does not get selected on Saturday, they should just burn the Hall of Fame building to the ground! And those of you who posted and questioned whether Hanburger should be inducted... get an education and learn to study facts before you espress your opinions in public!

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Barry... Are you insane??? That might be the stupidest sports question I've ever seen! Gee... Should Harmon Killebrew be in the Hall of Fame??? Should Karl Malone be in the Hall of Fame??? Should Rod Langway be in the Hall of Fame??? No Hall-of-Fame eligible NFL player with a combined 15 or more Pro Bowl (9) and All-Pro (6) selections (not to mention a 1972 defensive player of the year award) has been denied induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame... except Chris Hanburger! If Chris Hanburger does not get selected on Saturday, they should just burn the Hall of Fame building to the ground! And those of you who posted and questioned whether Hanburger should be inducted... get an education and learn to study facts before you express your opinions in public!

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Mrmoe:

So you want to draft a linebacker?

Grooming Linebackers the Steeler Way

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I've said before that I agree with you, and especially on the defensive front 7. Lets get the DE and NT in the top 2 rounds. They WILL improve the rest of the defense's play.

I find it interesting that several of us are wailing away for more top O line help before a QB is added, yet don't see the exact correlation to the D line and the LBs.

No worries though. Although my dream is Cam Jordan and the top NT (whomever that may end up being) in the top 2 rounds, I will be perfectly happy going after any of our needs.

I really hope that B. Allen can do some wheelin' and dealin' to get us a 3rd and or 4th rounder back this year. There is too much talent to miss out on.

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | February 1, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Pretty normal life now, I guess

We will all have to return to normal lives once the Super Bowl ends: the 2010 NFL season will be over.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What's that? Turnovers? Personal fouls?

Duke 93
Merryland 61

Posted by: beep-beep | February 1, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

They had to redeem themselves from getting dominated on Sunday!!! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I remember growing up in the Anascostia area (in the 70's) as a kid and play pick-up football and we all wanted to imitate Chris Hanburger.

To this day, I didn't realize the amazing accomplishments Chris Hanburber made for the game of football and to the Redskins organization until reading this article. WOW!!!

Chris Hanburger should've been in the HOF his first year of eligibility.

Posted by: clifton3 | February 1, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Sorry... My computer was acting up and my comment wound up being posted 4 times... Now I know why I see other posts showing up multiple times!

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Chris Hanburger should've been in the HOF his first year of eligibility.

Posted by: clifton3 | February 1, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Interesting read about the FS position. The guy that wrote it is a bit of a dick but still worth reading..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs: ‘I made a real mistake’ before Super Bowl blowout

Feb 1st, 2011 by Rich Tandler.

For the first time that I am aware of, Joe Gibbs admitted that he was too loose with his team before their blowout loss to the Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII in Tampa. On top of that, he named names. Or at least a name.

There have long been tales of fans having seen players out on the town the night before Super Sunday in 1984. On Tuesday morning, Gibbs gave credence to those stories and he shared the blame for the issue between himself and a player recently inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Speaking on “Mike and Mike in the Morning” on ESPN, Gibbs was asked how he would handle the week prior to the big game. He said the following (emphasis added):

Well, I’ve got to tell you guys that I made a real mistake before the one Super Bowl that we lost. This is a true statement. In the other three Super Bowls, the ones that we won, I said, ‘look, we need to be in early’. I kind of enforced that even though their families were there. And always the night before the game we moved to another site, one where I could have a good night with them, we could be in meetings and keep everything quiet.

But in Tampa, it’s well documented that Russ Grimm decided that he would turn the guys loose on the town . . . I think you need to have a bed check. I told the guys enjoy all the things you’re going to get to enjoy about the Super Bowl but there’s times that you need to be totally isolated, studying the game plan, practice is very important. I told them that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

And I’ve got to tell you, the hurt that we had in the one that we lost–you would think that if you got to the Super Bowl you’d feel pretty good. Not the case. I think that’s one of the toughest losses I’ve ever experienced in sports.

The Redskins went 14-2 in the regular season in 1983, setting NFL record for both points scored and turnover margin in the process. They were favored to repeat as Super Bowl champs but they ended up on the wrong end of a 38-9 blowout. At the time, it was the worst margin of defeat in a Super Bowl.

One other note: Some wonder why Grimm doesn’t get much consideration when head coaching openings come up. Although this happened coming up on 30 years ago, it perhaps is indicative of a mind set that you do not want in a head coach.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 1, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hanburger should have been in the HOF a long time ago. It should have never come to this. He is not in because he was never a darling of the media. When Hanburger played he has the surly attitude of a linebacker. His attitude is what made him great. Sam Huff, who called the Redskins defenses, said Hanburger never liked any of his calls. Brig Owens, the safety on those Allen defenses, said Hanburger b***hed about everything. In that era when the All-Pro teams were selected it was always Ham and Lambert from the Steelers and Hanburger from the Redskins.

Posted by: JAMNEW | February 1, 2011 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Hangover = Likely Blowout.

Duh.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44

This is hilarious.

I bet I can go do a lil research and see that tons of guys here in RI have posted since August that Kevin Barnes should be converted to FS.

And the Hogshaven.com guy delivers the news like it's some fresh idea.

He shouldn't write a blog.

He should read this one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigmac128 | February 1, 2011 10:28 AM | Report abuse

My computer is fine, I was thinking about posting the same number of times as how many sock puppets I have. Beep would complain though, so I'll stop that. But in actually he complains about everything, so......

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that neither the Skins nor the local media ever pushed for him in the HOF. Of course he should get in. Regarding the comment about him never hitting anyone I would suggest you go back and watch some film. I can remember him almost taking Dandy Don's head off a time or two. He was the original head hunter.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 1, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Moe- I've been saying it for two years. Where do you think you read it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Good find, 4thFloor.

Never really heard Gibbs talk about that loss and it brings back some bad memories.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 10:48 AM

Couldn't even manage to go to school the next day. Talked WAY too much smack all year long.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Chris Hamburger was a good linebacker, not a great one."

what a crock...

if i remember correctly, the 'Hangman'
was voted NFL defensive player of the year
in 1972/73...

Posted by: tindal0s | February 1, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Few lament the exit from RI of JReid except for the dimwits on the blog like MistaHoeMoe. As bad as his predecessor was, JReid was even worse. His idea of hard-hitting journalism was to post piece after boring piece about Fatso. And he wanted to be known as "Da Mayor". What crock of shti! JReid used to work for the LA Times but they kicked him out because he got into shouting matches after being baited by Milton Bradley when Bradley was playing for the Dodgers. For La CaCa, who preceded JReid, his ticket out of the RI ghetto was to get under the skin of Snyder to the point where he got him a job with NFL.com just to get him out from underfoot. For JReid it was Wilbon leaving for ESPN. With him gone WaPo was left with no black sports columnist in a town (DC) that is essentially black. So JReid got the call. It wasn't like there was a line stretching around the corner waiting to get an interview. After all, WaPo is being sucked into an eddy that is dragging just about every print journalism dead tree newspaper under.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

dizzle44

I've been saying it for two years. Where do you think you read it.

Trudat

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I think Hanburger gets in. If so, he joins Jurgy, Huff, Taylor, Mitchell and Paul Krause that all played together in the late 60s for a team that couldn't win. Gibbs had a span of 12 years where we won everything and getting players from that era into the HOF has been tough at best. How does that happen? If they had had a star on their helmet or played in a coal town there would be about a dozen HOFers in that group.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 1, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Talked WAY too much smack all year long.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 10:53 AM

Of course you did. We all did. We were the reigning SB Champs, followed with a 14-2 regular season record and were favored to repeat in the SB.

I think I liked it better when I didn't know Grimm screwed it up!

Posted by: Alan4 | February 1, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The thing about Hanburger, is he was great and he was playing in a great time period. Most of us 50 year olds saw him when men were men, and there was no Albert Haynesworths. Everyone played tough, on every play. Blood and broken teeth were the norm. He made 9 all star teams when the competition was excellent. Fierce men playing against fierce men. Hanburger was a force, not so big, but very tough. Every year they brought in someone bigger to challenge him, every year he won. Pat Fisher also deserves HOF honors. He was in the Hanburger mold only smaller. He said, "any man that goes into my territory has to pay the price" and he made them pay. No matter how big they were, they always wanted to know where "37" was. A tough man with a "knock your ---- in the dirt attitude.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 1, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm in a good mood today, Mr. Reid, I mean Franco.

Hit me with your best insults just to show people how good you 'trolls' claim to be at attacking us dutiful regular bloggas.

I'm interested to see just how deep you can go with your insults.

Have at me, dude!

And when you're done, it's my turn.

And that's when, like yesterday, you'll slide down the leg of this board like the drip of semen you truly are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 1, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

tindal0s,

You remember correctly.

MistaMoe,

Based on the following quote from the HOF web site Ed Sabol is irrelevant to Chris Hanburger's induction.

"No more than five modern-era nominees can be elected in a given year and a class of six or seven can only be achieved if one or both senior nominees are elected."

That would leave it simply as a vote for Les Richter and Chris Hanburger as Sabol is included in the group of five maximum nominees. As nobody with Hanburger's resume isn't in the HOF, he is obviously worthy of induction. Richter is worthy as well but his resume doesn't match Hanburger's. I believe the real issue is whether the committee elects Richter in addition to Hanburger bringing the class to seven inductees instead of six inductees.

Posted by: blackandred777 | February 1, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Of course he should get in! And whoever said there was Redskin bias in the media hasn't been following the Hall of Fame.

The 'Skins played in 4 Superbowls in 10 years and won three. Yet too few of the players from those great teams got in, with the long delayed Art Monk induction a perfect example of ant-Redskin bias. Monk deserved to be a first ballot HOF.

Posted by: EricFutterman | February 1, 2011 11:11 AM | Report abuse

blackandred777

I've already apologized for my error.

And will again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,

My bad. I didn't catch it before posting mine.

Posted by: blackandred777 | February 1, 2011 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 1, 2011 11:00 AM |

First off, there wasn't any dominant team between the Packers of the 60's and the Steelers of the 70's to hog all the pub and hence they got more media than they otherwise would. With Gibbs the prob was that he had a shifting cast of characters on his SB teams so nobody got sustained pub the way you have with 70's Steelers, 80's Niners and 90's Cows.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Solid pro, delicious sounding name. my question is whats the holdup?

Posted by: Stu27 | February 1, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Against the pass and against the run, there were few finer. He was 5'9" and covered 6'8" Harold Carmichael and 6'10" Morris Stroud. He would fight them tooth and nail. Then he would come up on the run play and wipe out a running back like LeRoy Kelly or Gale Sayers. He played against the best and they always wanted to know where "37" was at on the field. Pat Fischer deserves the HOF honors. In Fischers era there was a glut of great CB's and no one dominated the voting for all star honors. There were other HOF CB's that limited the amount of honors Fischer may have received. None terrorized receivers and backs more than Fischer.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 1, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The world's longest borehole, at 12,345 m (40,502 ft) total measured depth, is drilled off the coast of the Russian island Sakhalin.

Drilling that even a porn star would envy!

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 1, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Moe's going to have a rough day with all the refugees pouring in.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Solid pro, delicious sounding name. my question is whats the holdup?

Posted by: Stu27 | February 1, 2011 11:19 AM |

We're waiting for the condiments to arrive.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bmffwb | February 1, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Its funny hearing Carmichael talk about Fisher, he hated that little dude. Said he was the toughest player he played against, hated going against him.
Love that little flip that Pat would do. Send people barreling over themselves. Truly selfless player, played with no regard to is personal well being.
I always enjoyed meeting him when I was younger, my dad talked about him like a mythical figure... that always stuck with me.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 1, 2011 11:27 AM | Report abuse

FrancoBegbie

We're waiting for the condiments to arrive.

Condiments?

I thought 'nutsack' was your favorite flavor.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Word Play

FrancoBegbie

Flip the letters around:

Big

Fag

Funny: those are the only two words I can make out of the guy's name.

On

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins haven't drafted a true DE before the 7th round during the Dan Snyder era (2000-2010). They‘ve also neglected to draft a DT before the 5th round, your list:
DE Jackson 7th rd 2008
DT Montgomery 5th 2005
DT Golston 6th 2005
DE Greg Scott 7th 2002 (who)
DT Monds 6th 2004
DT Cowsette 7th 2000
Want a stat that will blow your mind?? Consider this: The above list of DE/DT's drafted in the last 11 years have produced 11.5 sacks. The DB's the Redskins have drafted during that time have 12.5 sacks! (Tryon, Horton, Landry, Doughty, Taylor & Lott)
One final stat, let's compare the Redskins total amount of OL/DL's drafted in the first 4 rounds of the draft from 2000-2010 vs. the 3 teams that have won multiple Super Bowls.
Patriots - 16
Steelers - 15
Colts - 10
Redskins - 3
I see that value...do you? More importantly do the Redskins?

Posted by: suliman215 | February 1, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Moe's going to have a rough day with all the refugees pouring in.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 11:23 AM |

Son, it's always a bad day when you bring a knife to a gunfight.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

One of the smartest linebackers of all time. He never seemed to be out of position. How many screen passes did he stop for a loss or no gain?

Posted by: rjregan | February 1, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

FrancoBegbie

Son, it's always a bad day when you bring a knife to a gunfight.

StankhoeBigFag you're just talkin' loud and sayin' nothing.

Knife to a gunfight?: more like you're bringing a mouth to an oral sex contest.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Quite frankly, #55 NOT being in the HoF should be a crime. I watch him, and the rest of the OtH Gang, while growing up. Cheering them on when winning and dying, literally, every time the played and lost to the Cowboys. Add Diron Talbert, too! As far as the guy that stated Willie Roaf should get in? He certainly should, but why not make him wait almost 40 years. Roaf, by the way, didn't even play on a Suber Bowl team like $55 did. Granted, they lost, but they lost the the Dolphins who went 16-0 that year. even then, they almost beat them!

Posted by: jkump35 | February 1, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

How many screen passes did he stop for a loss or no gain?

Posted by: rjregan | February 1, 2011 11:36 AM

112

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

How many screen passes did he stop for a loss or no gain?

Posted by: rjregan | February 1, 2011 11:36 AM |

Surely as many as Carole Lombard when her costar was Clark Gable, no?

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

How many screen passes did he stop for a loss or no gain?

Posted by: rjregan | February 1, 2011 11:36 AM |

Surely as many as Carole Lombard when her costar was Clark Gable, no?

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Son, it's always a bad day when you bring a knife to a gunfight.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Well, I'd guess that depends on how good you are with the knife.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News:

This just in, the Redskins Insider Website has just invented new math. Apparently, according to their poll, 96 + 3 = 100. More to come at 5, which I guess is 3+1.

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

More to come at 5, which I guess is 3+1.

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 11:49 AM |

Also at 5, a panel of experts will discuss:

PlayAction - the physics of bullets

monk811 - the mathematics of rounding up

MistaHoMoe - string theory

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

frediefritz

I'd like to take the packers route the year they snagged BJ Raji high in '09.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Moe, there is always FA to get DL. I'm not sure Taylor is worth #10. If we could trade back, then I'm fine with PT.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I had the pleasure of watching this guy play for years. He was great when he played on bad defenses in the mid 60's, and he was great playing on good defenses under Lombardi for one year, and then under George Allen. If you enjoy watching good defense, he was so good that he was fun to watch, week in and week out. The fact the he's not already in the HOF is just one more indicator of how screwed up that election system is.

Posted by: cliffdweller | February 1, 2011 12:01 PM | Report abuse

suliman215 | February 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Good post.

And we'll put you down as someone who also wants to draft a few stud defenders for the line this time around.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

More to come at 5, which I guess is 3+1.

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 11:49 AM |

Also at 5, a panel of experts will discuss:

PlayAction - the physics of bullets

monk811 - the mathematics of rounding up

MistaHoMoe - string theory

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | February 1, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess, you're the ASSistant fry guy to beep?

How'd we get in this feud Play?

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to take the packers route the year they snagged BJ Raji high in '09.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 12:00 PM | Report abuse

BJ Raji was seen as a cant miss player. Thats why he went in the top ten(9).
I got nothing against Phil but i don't think he garners nearly the same attention that Raji was getting. It would be a big stretch at 10, but he would be a good player to get later.

Posted by: Stu27 | February 1, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

How'd we get in this feud Play?

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 12:10 PM

I'm not in a feud...I don't think haha

Did you ever catch V for Vendetta...dude was bad ass with the knife! He did still get lit up though. Point for Franco.

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | February 1, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't catch that one, but I guess if you saw it then so did I!

I always liked Zoro. 3 thumbs up for Zoro!!!

Posted by: monk811 | February 1, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I really didn't view Chris Hanburger as a "Great" football player even though he was my favorite behind Sonny Jurgenson. I grew up watching Hanburger's horsecollar tackles which were legal hits at the time.

It's good to see the support here for him and while I don't think he'll make it, I'm sure the ENTIRE DC area is hoping that he does.

I just hope that one day they induct the little big man also. Number 37. Need I say more?

Posted by: keedrow | February 1, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

....there is always FA to get DL. I'm not sure Taylor is worth #10. If we could trade back, then I'm fine with PT.

Use FA to add defensive linemen?

So far, we've added the following defensive linemen via FA:

Albert Haynesworth, Ma'ake Kemoteau, Anthony Bryant, Adam Carriker, Vonnie Holliday, Darrion Scott, Andre Carter, Phil Daniels, and Joe Joseph

In other words, discounting Kedric Golston and Jeremy Jarmon Free Agency has been the only way we've added defensive linemen.

The revolutionary idea is to draft elite players who make your scheme work.

It's the kind of thing they do in Ballmer, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, NE, Indy, Chi-town,...

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Beeps to Moe??

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm always amused by the multiple post excuses, especially the ones that blame the computer

Posted by: hessone | February 1, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 1, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

cosign, diesel. :)

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is the reason there is a seniors committee. Some guys, for whatever reason do not get the credit they deserve the first time around. Maybe there were begger names to vote on at that time. Maybe there were bigger talkers. Maybe guys from better teams that got in by association. But this many years later you have only the numbers to look at, and by any standard Chris is a HOF. I can't believe there is no way to go back and pur through game footage and find out how many sacks he had, but he had more lifetime interceptions than only few active DB's have today. 9 pro bowls before guys went just to fill out the roster for those that declined, 4 time first team all-pro. So you can't even say he wasn't one of the best of his era.

As someone else said, it should not have come to this, but it has, and better late than never. I bet there will not be one single complaint or question from anyone that played against him, or the same position as him during his era.

Of course I am assuming he gets in which is not a forgone conclusion by any means, but if he doesn't it certainly is a crime.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | February 1, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I remember meeting him and Bill Brundidge (sp?) at "The Huddle" out in Purcellville in '76 or '77. I remember, vaguely, how nice a guy he was. A UNC grad to boot!

UNC '90

Posted by: RB1019 | February 1, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

ridge_road_marco:
You ever watch the man play? I saw almost
every game the Redskins played when I was
a kid in the 60's & 70's. He looked great
when I was watching then, and seeing some of those old films now he still looks great. Definite HOF'er, or maybe you have someone else in mind more deserving?

Posted by: hogwash1 | February 1, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I think he deserved a long wait to get into the HOF if for no other reason than that insepid TV commercial jingle from when he owned a Ford dealership. ♪Chris Hanburger...Chris Hanburger...Chris Hanburger FORD!♫ If you were around the DC area back in the day, you know what I mean.

Posted by: joemdavis55 | February 1, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

As a Redskins fan throughout CH's long career I'm here to tell you he was a ROCK. No dancing, no talking, no scandal, no drama.....just one hard-nosed play after another, game after game, year after year. If he doesn't belong in the HOF nobody does. The consummate professional.

Posted by: hit4cycle | February 1, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

What is going on. This is an article about a great linebacker and the Hall of Fame. Why are so many idiots ranting about other issues. Is ADD that pervasive with this group that they can't stay on track - or are they just mouthy jerks who want to spout off and show everyone how much the "know" (or don't know)?

Posted by: pjohn3 | February 1, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

C Hanburger was my main man!
He would dive over the center and tackle the QB! Strip the ball from the other team that's how I remember him.
Wich I copied when i was playing Football.

Now it's almost flag ball you have to wait for the defender to come down. PLEASE!!

CHRIS HANBURGER HOF RECIEPIANT.

SOUNDS GOOD!

Posted by: shamken | February 1, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

C Hanburger was my main man!
Wich I copied when i was playing Football.

CHRIS HANBURGER HOF RECIEPIANT.

SOUNDS GOOD!

Posted by: shamken | February 1, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Can't stand the Redskins, their fans, their mascot, their stadium, their tailgate parties, their cheerleaders .. the mere mention of them ..

.. but Hanburger is a hands down HOF member.

There are flashy players and then there are players who just get it done, who opposing coaches plan around and who other players wholeheartedly respect. Chris H was that kind of guy. Good luck to him.

Posted by: tslats | February 1, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

No, Hanburger isn't a hall-of-famer. He was a very good player for the Redskins but not HoF worthy.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 1, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I wore my Redskins jersey (Billy Kilmer) in Boston during 1975-76 and received many dirty looks from friends and acquaintances. Many Giants fans hated them because of a play Hanburger made in Yankee Stadium, stripping Ron Johnson of the football. Johnson was carrying the ball away from his body and Hanburger just took it from him. Giants fans thought that was illegal and should have been flagged - now everybody does it.

Does anyone else remember that game? Must have been 1972?

Posted by: tack319 | February 1, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

He played in the 1972 Super Bowl against Miami, which the Redskins lost 14-7. But George Allen was a huge believer in defense and Hanburger was a defensive star.

Allen was very different from Gibbs, who realized correctly what casino owners have known for centuries -- the thrill of the big play and the touchdown can sustain a team even when the day's setbacks are more numerous.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 1, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tgl57 | February 1, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Overtime58 Wrote

"This coming from a Redskin purest who's been watching since 1965. I vote no. Mainly because, for being a linebacker, I never ONCE saw Chris Hanburger really hit anybody."

I would bet that if you put today's players in 1960 - 1970 era uniforms, the majority of them would turn into gigantic babies. The truely gifted would actually learn how to tackle instead of turning themselves into human projectiles.

The reason he went to nine Pro Bowls is because the people he played against saw it completely different than you did. I have also followed the Skins since the early 60s and I remember why the players saw that in him.

Posted by: tgl57 | February 1, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Certainly Hanburger is HoF worthy, but if I had one vote and a choice between him and Ray Guy, I'd have to go w/ Guy. He was All Pro in each of his first 6 seasons and made 7 pro bowls. Additionally, he has 3 Super Bowl rings to Hanburger's none. Ask anyone who the greatest linebacker of all time is and no one will even mention Chris. Ask about the greatest punter and you'll hear Guy's name almost universally.

Posted by: randysbailin | February 1, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Chris Hanburger should with out a doubt be in the hall of fame....it's time for the hangman to get in there....and while we're talking about it....pat fisher....the one and only...should be standing there as well...

Posted by: skywalker12777721 | February 2, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

What a STUPID question, Barry. 9 pro bowls, a vicious tackler, total class as a person. OF COURSE he should be in the HOF. Your headline should have been something like "About Time...".
If you researched this even a tiny bit, you would
realize what a NO BRAINER #55 for the HOF is!

But I know modern "journalists" (hacks really) just want to stir up controversy, whatever...

I began watching the NFL in 1970 and anybody who is the least bit objective will determine he belongs with the other linebackers of his time that are already in the hall.

This gentleman(tgl57) said it best perhaps:

"If you want to see how Hanburger ranks among Hall of Famers, check out the 1972 Pro Bowl cast. It's a Who's Who of NFL greats, including linebackers Dick Butkus,Nick Buoniconti and Willie Lanier. Each with 1 less pro bowl appearance than Hanburger. I doubt anybody would say that one of them does not belong in the Hall.

As for Pat Fischer, pound for pound he was the toughest and meanest player ever to play the game."

Agreed about Pat Fischer, he should be in the HOF as well.

Seriously, I think WAPO should hire tgl57 as a journalist to cover The Redskins.

It is getting harder and harder every day to follow the Redskins here at WAPO with all the amateur & patrozining columns, just my $.02.

As a Redskin fan, I would like to see guys like Mike Bragg in the HOF.

As a football fan, CLEARLY, #55 and Pat Fischer #37, deserve to be there.

It was a privelage to watch those 2 play football,
I'm not sure we have seen their type since (maybe John Riiggins?).

I wish the Redskins would sell the old jerseys that #55 & #37 wore and not just whatever overpaid free agent comes to town...

Cheers!

Posted by: 1970sRedskin | February 3, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

If you researched this even a tiny bit, you would
realize what a NO BRAINER #55 for the HOF is!

This gentleman(tgl57) said it best perhaps:

Agreed about Pat Fischer, he should be in the HOF as well.

As a Redskin fan, I would like to see guys like Mike Bragg in the HOF.

As a football fan, CLEARLY, #55 and Pat Fischer #37, deserve to be there.

It was a privelage to watch those 2 play football,
I'm not sure we have seen their type since (maybe John Riiggins?).

Cheers!

Posted by: 1970sRedskin | February 3, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Several postings make the statement that Hanburger was "good" but not "great" and "never hit anybody". Back in his playing days I happened to be watching at old RFK one day against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles called a toss sweep around his side of the line. At the time the Eagles had a very good running back named Tim Green. At the snap of the ball, Hanburger went around the pulling tackle, putting him on the ground with an arm bar and met Green in the backfield at the same time as the pitch arrived, driving him into the air and onto his back for a five yard loss. I could never understand how Green held onto the ball. That was one of the best plays I ever saw any linebacker make. Hanburger definitely belongs in the Hall - all he ever did was what he considered his job.

Posted by: oldskinsfan1 | February 4, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I got his autograph ca. 1973 when I was playing pee-wee football at Ft Hunt. He was my hero. He should definitely be in the Hall.

Posted by: rocco1109 | February 4, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse