Signing Takes Its Own Sweet Time

There have been a lot of questions about why the Redskins haven't announced a deal yet for first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo, and training camp is, let's face it, fast approaching.

But the Redskins aren't the only ones moving slowly.

Only two first-round draft picks have inked deals: The Lions' overall top pick Matthew Stafford (6 years, $72 million) and Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, No. 5 overall, (5 years, $60 million).

Often, teams will wait for some movement in contract talks for the picks ahead of them, aka slotting, before nailing down the final details of their contracts.

Orakpo was at No. 13 overall, so the Redskins could be waiting for picks like DE Aaron Maybin (No. 11 to Buffalo) and B.J. Raji (No. 9 to Green Bay) before finalizing Orakpo.

With training camps opening, this should all happen soon. And Orakpo figures to be there for the start of camp.

...

A quick NFC East note: Sean McDermott will be the Philadelphia Eagles' defensive coordinator as Jim Johnson continues to battle cancer. Johnson, who is 68 and has been with Andy Reid throughout his time in Philly, went on leave in May because of a tumor on his spine. The disease was diagnosed in January.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 24, 2009; 2:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barnes Signs; Orakpo, Jarmon Unsigned (Updated)
Next: Zorn on Jarmon: 'He's Studying the Weight Room'

Comments

Denver drafted Knowshon Moreno. Maybin went before that to Buffalo, but you knew that. Orakpo will probably be signed at the last minute. Don't know why Jarmon should take to long. Wouldn't his contract be identical to Barnes'?

Posted by: skinswest | July 24, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Am I first?

Posted by: Rush21 | July 24, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Nope

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

It was no illusion. A number of us saw J Reid's picture up in the header. Someone saw it around 2:30 today. Then b y 3:30 it had disappeared. Would you call that a trial balloon? Or a lead balloon!

Posted by: frediefritz | July 24, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

They are gonna repost the pic once they get him on a slant and photoshop some crooked glasses on him in honor of Jasno.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | July 24, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

FRAK...BROUGHT TO YOU BY...THE BYZANTINE RAT FOUNDATION...THE LINCOLN BRIGADE IRREGULARS...AND BY, THE BLUES...peace...

Posted by: frak | July 24, 2009 3:28 PM

Okay, CL, I'm up to THREE references:

LINCOLN BRIGADE IRREGULARS...The Abraham Lincoln Brigade refers to volunteers from the United States who served in the Spanish Civil War in the International Brigades.

BYZANTINE RAT FOUNDATION...a monk by the name of Hilarion chose the site for his hermitage. He must have been the earliest "drop out" from the BYZANTINE RAT race

BLUES...name given to both a musical form and a music genre created within the African-American communities in the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads.

Hey, this is fun. Did I miss any? Try me again, FRAK.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | July 24, 2009 3:43 PM

They canned him already for being too negative.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

We just thought we'd mess with you...get the hamster wheel turning.
Actually, I thought I could publish out the new photo and, if you'll recall, I did -- except for changing the depth of the box, which was beyond my mad skillz.
So we had to revert to the old one for a bit while the pros from Dover played through. The mayor's picture will be back up shortly. He really didn't have the shortest blog tenure ever.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

They are "photo-shopping" Lord Voldemort ... stretched behind the title ...

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

We just thought we'd mess with you...get the hamster wheel turning.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 3:48 PM

This constitutes the weakest Post cover-up ever.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The Mayor Lives!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

So, Cindy, how much do we have to pay to have dinner with the Post's publisher and find out "in an informal, nonconfrontational setting" what really happened?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Peri and Frak get into it....now that would be out there..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 24, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S POLL O DA WEEK!!!

Complete this sentence.

"I feel good about__________heading into the season, but I don't feel good about____________."

My take is:

Good: Defense
Bad: Receivers

Posted by: rickyroge | July 24, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

So,
Anyone here have a schematic on how to build a trebuche out of office supplies?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, Talent.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

---
1. my chili recipe
2. My beer choices

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

We all hates the Iggles, but nothing but prayers and best wishes for DC Jim Johnson. A class act and a brilliant football mind. All that matters is he beats this thing.

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Free Jason Reid!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 24, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

as my 2.5 year old nephew once said in a fit of genius

"Fart, feel good"

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 24, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

..., which was beyond my mad skillz. ...

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 3:48 PM

CiNDy bOrEn is related to chRIs LaRRy.

I want P-Ten on the masthead too. The Mayor and the Marine Mammal. Kind of has a ring to it.

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Nate, first read I thought you were already calling for them to Fire Jason Reid.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

About signing Orakpo and Jarmon..who play the same position..

Should be a no-brainer if 'skins negotiator has ever watched Police Procedurals.

There they put the two skells in separate rooms and scare them into thinking the other one is cutting the deal and "you, punk will be facing the big lethal unless you act now."

Same approach should work with agents

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:00 PM

Amen, Brother Cork. It would be particularly nice if he beats it and, in the process, has a revelation that he should spend more time with his family and gives up coaching entirely.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting the behind the closed doors negotiation with J Reid went something like this:

DeNunzio: Jason we're excited that you'll be able to step up and take over the Redskins beat, and we know you're well aware of the level of effort that's involved. But not to worry, the position comes with a significant pay increase and you'll get a lot more exposure than you have right now, particularly with the RI byline.

Reid: Wait a minute, what do you mean? I thought I made myself perfectly clear, I don't want any part RI. I'll cover the beat, I'll write the stories, but please no more of that psycho ward. Keep the raise, just get P-ten to do it, or Cindy, yeah, Cindy can do it, she doesn't need me.

DeNunzio: Too late Jason, in fact we already have a signed contract.

Reid: What?

DeNunzio: Yep. Remember that UPS package you signed for yesterday? It was just Gary from the mail room. So, you're on-board, Jason...or shall I say Mister Mayor?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Reid: #$%^&*! DeNunzio totally uncool. You'll be hearing from my attorney!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 24, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

PFF suumped
For the record PFF = pretty F***ing funny.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 24, 2009 4:08 PM

Good one Stumped. Reid did an Arrington: signed before reiding.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

let me get this straight - Danny Noonan's arch nemesis-turned-supporter is running Wash Post Sports??

Best to Jim Johnson. I won't miss him as a Skins fan but certainly wish him well and hope he can beat this vile disease.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 24, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

alex, you're going to have to use your imagination a little to create the heavy middle bits

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

cork, enough with the cop talk already ... that topic is so yesterday

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

sween what kind of office do you work in that has that much free wood floating around.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

No what would be really nice I think would be for him to realize that the cancer was cause by living in the Philly/Jersey area and that all the chemical wast was the root cause of his illness. Then realizing that Washington's pollution is nothing in comparison and that he should move on to the Red Team.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 24, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

First Prof. Gates.

Now J. Reid.

What's wrong with this country???

Hey Cindy, has Obama called you yet?

Posted by: p1funk | July 24, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Denver drafted Knowshon Moreno..."

And he will be the AFC Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

slimbo -- thx for the link from the last entry, that was a very good article on Albert. Albert and Danny can swap tree removal stories.

Albert is getting well paid, but I'll tell you who IS overpaid -- Dr. John Verble, Haynesworth’s financial advisor.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

And NFC ROY? I hope Orakpo; I think Curry. He is a beast.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 24, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the Post wanted to make J Reid's pic look like he's still in that undisclosed location where he did those videos

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Cork, enough with the cop talk already ... that topic is so yesterday

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 4:17 PM

Spoken like someone who's often been told to "assume the position," sometimes even by cops.

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Boy, that unrestricted blooper video was the best, man, I hope they never take that link down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 24, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo gets Defensive ROY

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 24, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

the middle of our defense
the OL

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Friday at 4:32...I will take a ROB ROY!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 24, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"Signing Takes Its Own Sweet Time"

Only if there's no rookie pay scale.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009 4:29 PM

Wow. Are you still publishing hard copies? That picture would be awsome.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"Peri, while you were out Frak said you were an illiterate Priest loving sheep herder.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 24, 2009"

He's right. I may actually be Mike Wise in disguise ... :)

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"And NFC ROY? I hope Orakpo"

This will happen if he has only two James Harrison-lite responsibilities:

a. rush the passer
b. run support

Can you imagine a scheme where Orakpo picks up the 'scraps' left behind in Prince Al's thunderous wake?

If you can, one of those scraps might be NFC Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Friday at 4:32...I will take a ROB ROY!

Posted by: chrislarry | July 24, 2009 4:33 PM |

A Rob Roy? How meterosexual.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Please Snyder...please sign Vick. We need speed on offense, and I don't trust our O-line yet.

If we have a crumby o-line, at least get a guy who doesn't need one.

Posted by: Broman17 | July 24, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Prof Gates:

Reminds me of a certain WaPo columnist who used to rail against the NRA, automagic weapons, ballyhooing everything liberal ...

Until the day he pinned on "a badge" strapped on a gun to ... chase some kids way who had snuck into his rich man's pool for some summer fun.

Boy did the conservative pundits have a field day with him on McLaren. :)

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"We're redoing the photo of Reid so that he's holding up a copy of the day's newspaper.

Posted by: CindyBoren | July 24, 2009"

No, Cindy he should be lining a cage, with today's paper, filled with G-force hamsters ... errr guinea pigs.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh and they should definitely be flatulent hamsters ... er guinea pigs ...

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

A. Jason Campbell's ability as an NFL QB
B. Jason Campbell's ability to stay upright behing our line

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 24, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

A. Jason Campbell's ability as an NFL QB
B. Jason Campbell's ability to stay upright behing our line
C. The complete almost lack of depth on the
offensive line position.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If we have a crumby o-line, at least get a guy who doesn't need one.

Posted by: Broman17 | July 24, 2009 4:40 PM
______

Say it ain't so, Bro!!!
No public outcries for Vick! Please!!!Vick is a great athlete (or was -- we don't know what he's got right now) and was NEVER a legitimate threat to win a Superbowl as an NFL QB. His passing skills (despite a cannon arm) were always marginal and he never used WR's effectively. Look at how Roddy White blossomed after Vick left -- many thought he was a bust for a while....

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 24, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If we have a crumby o-line, at least get a guy who doesn't need one.

Posted by: Broman17 | July 24, 2009 4:40 PM

Cut Collins, trade Colt, HIRE VICKS.

Posted by: abxinc | July 24, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"A Rob Roy? How meterosexual.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse"

Do you ever tire of being unfunny?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 24, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

A. Jason Campbell's ability as an NFL QB
B. Jason Campbell's ability to stay upright behing our line
C. The complete almost lack of depth on the
offensive line position.

Posted by: periculum
___
Peri, dude, I'm confused. There's 2 blanks. How did this become multiple choice?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 24, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Please Snyder...please sign Vick..."

Don't think so.

The roster is set.

No time for additions, just subtraction, media distraction being one of them.

Which vets might get cut to make way for younger, fresher legs?

Bloggas haven't noticed it, but the team has jettisoned many of it's older players.

J Thrash, D Evans, J Jansen, P Kendall, and M Washington are all gone, so who might be the next veteran burgandy n' gold chap to get a pink slip?

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Cut Collins, trade Colt, HIRE VICKS.

Posted by: abxinc | July 24, 2009 4:49 PM
_______
I'm fine with bringing VICKS on board. That stuff is great when you're sick -- just rub it on your chest and by morning that menthol has your chest feeling much better.
Just NO VICK please. Jason Campbell will be just fine. IMHO Vick is not an upgrade even at the #2 QB position. I'd rather see Brennan out there than Mike Vick.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 24, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

No Vick, c'mon now.

If Campbell goes down or is woefully ineffective early in the season, when we still have a shot at the playoffs, it's Collins.

If Campbell goes down or is woefully ineffective later in the season, if we have no shot at playoffs, it's Brennan. That'd be my guess...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 24, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I was out all day letting mrsmoe spend away my hardly earned money.

"What's mine is mine," she said. "And what's yours is mine."

"What about the kids?" I asked.

"Well," she said. "They aren't your either."

I come back to RI thinking folks might be chatting up the LeBron James weed smoking story.

I mean, recently dunked upon King James admits to 'burnin'--as the young folks say--and RI shrugs and looks the other way.

I guess that's why I post: there's the real world, and there's RI Nation--the world that keeps it real.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You mean a bathroom stall?

Posted by: p1funk | July 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Which vets might get cut to make way for younger, fresher legs?

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 4:58 PM |

Good point MM, as much as I like Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, I think one of them, whoever appears to have less left in the tank, might go. Particularly if one of the younger players at that position steps up.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | July 24, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you ever tire of being unfunny?

Posted by: chrislarry | July 24, 2009 4:50 PM

Dude ordered a Roby Roy and the bartender served him a half sour.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the very first guy they are going to call about Vick will almost certainly be one, Daniel Snyder Esquire. Will he mortgage some of the Redskins future to the Falcons while mortgaging some of the salary cap? Probably Mo.
Might as well just accept it, just as we must the Nats record breaking losing season.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

If we have a crumby o-line, at least get a guy who doesn't need one.

Posted by: Broman17 | July 24, 2009 4:40 PM

Cut Collins, trade Colt, HIRE VICKS.

Posted by: abxinc | July 24, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

If we have a crumby o-line, at least get a guy who doesn't need one.

Posted by: Broman17 | July 24, 2009 4:40 PM

Cut Collins, trade Colt, HIRE VICKS.

Posted by: abxinc | July 24, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

TNT

"Particularly if one of the younger players at that position steps up."

That's:

Philip Daniels
Renaldo Wynn
Mike Sellars

I have all the respect in the world for them, but football is a young man's game.

Daniels is someone who stays as Jarmon is a rookie.

But Wynn, Sellars....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 24, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:30 PM

With your raper wit, you're almost as hilarious as EncinoMan.

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

With your raper wit, you're almost as hilarious as EncinoMan.

Posted by: dcsween | July 24, 2009 5:33 PM

Raper wit? Surely a typo. Meant "rapper wit."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 24, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Sellars was in the pro bowl last year and earns less than 1 million,are you nuts.Wynn and Daniels playing for vet min. as well and will earn a spot on the squad,I mean who's pushing them?Buzbee,Jarmon?who else could push them out?

Posted by: mark65 | July 24, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Wait it out. GB and Buff are both small market teams and not likely to overpay making his cap hit less.

Posted by: Gweez | July 24, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Two approaches to the offseason after the Albert signing.

My approach: Trade up and get Curry to create an elite defense, use the rest of the draft on the OL, and sign guys at need positions that could prove to be an upgrade.

Vinny's approach: Address the LB issue with lesser talents and more picks. Make almost all picks on the defense in an effort to create an elite defense -- hope some of the picks overachieve (Barnes, Henson, Glenn).

In most respects, we were on the same page. Clearly Vinny is trying to create a top flight defense (which was my rationale for going after Curry). All the higher level picks were used on defense. I would have gone about it differently, but with the same objective.

I like two of his upgrades a lot. Roydell and Hunter are likely to make a difference. Roydell means we will have 3 NFL level WRs no matter what happens with last years rookies. Hunter means we don't cringe every time we have to punt.

Others guys Vinny grabbed such as the scatbacks and the RTs (Williams, Bridges, Dorsey, Aldridge) are worth taking a chance.

This offseason had Vinny turning over a lot of rocks hoping to find some hidden gems. Wish he'd been more aggressive on finding quality for the OL in the draft, but the general strategy of putting the effort into the defense so the defense can carry the team is a sound strategy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

hamsters and guinea pigs.
flatulence.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Keep Colt, trade Vicks. You might get more for him after a season or two.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

1. My sphincter.
2. My wife's new Mexican Recipes cookbook.

Posted by: EncinoMan | July 24, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

From July 27-31, might be good time to leave town:

And, by the way, we need to END THE FED!! (so our children can cheer the Skins for eons to come):

just sayin'...peace

Posted by: frak | July 24, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 24, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse
Amen, and Amen!

Posted by: frediefritz | July 24, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

"Denver drafted Knowshon Moreno..."

And he will be the AFC Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Shanahan isn't coaching there anymore. Expect Moreno to follow a Laurence Maroney-esque career path.

Posted by: psps23 | July 24, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying for years, though not on this blog, that I can't wait for Jim Johnson to retire b/c I was getting tired of seeing his defense twice a year...Cancer was not what I had in mind!

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Posted by: Vicc | July 24, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

But Wynn, Sellars....?

As much as I don't like it, the noise Big Mike is making regarding his contract is probably valid--to a point. I can recall a half dozen times that #26 literally grabbed his back pocket and tacked on 5-10 yards to what he would have had without him. At least one of those went for 6.

I know, I know, he didn't get it across the line when it really counted, but dude is a beast.

And coach was skewered for having #26 in the lineup and not using him up here, was it really the right call?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | July 24, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Jim Johnson's defenses are the modern benchmark, along with their western Penn counterparts. I'd love for him to beat this if for no other reason than the competition factor: We should want to be good enough offensively to beat his defense on a level playing field (they used to tilt the Vet to optimize bodybags, bastards that they are).

It speaks to the Gibbs.2 era being timid. I remember folks wishing for this or that scenario based on the easiest path. F that! Bring me the best and lets smashmouth! er...lets medium!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | July 24, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 24, 2009 6:46 PM |

Geezus. One of the knuckledraggers from the Bad Old JLC days actually has a good word for the FO. I am going to have to pinch myself to see if this is for real. Pinch. Pinch. Pinch. I guess it is. And here's hoping the new blog blood at RI can give us fair and balanced reportage.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 25, 2009 4:21 AM | Report abuse

From President Obama's Wednesday presser:

" ... the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody ... "

oooooh. Don't you just love it when the dude lets his RedDMV out!

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 25, 2009 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey MistaMoe, Marcus Washington always pissed me off whenever he made a play with his celebration.

I always thought they should have made him the defensive play caller so he could use all that celebratory energy to fire up his Team for the next play.

Unbenowest to many the defense needs a player on the field to always fire them up for next play and he should have been that guy, instead of always fireing himself up 'after a play'.

His being gone mit' jus' be uh' good thang'.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | July 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I know the O-line is a weakness and has been discussed ad nauseum. I also think the LB's are a weakness on an otherwise very good D. Fletcher is a beast, but he is aging and who backs him up? What other team would sit their starting backer for Rocky,(My knees hurt)Mcintosh? On the other side, Orakpo for all his college prowess hasn't proven it at all at this level. Anyone else share this feeling?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I also think the LB's are a weakness on an otherwise very good D.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 11:37 AM

LB's were fine last year. Can't share your prejudice against Orakpo. I think they've gotten better.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 25, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Everything everyone is saying about Vick is true.
From his cruel, inhumane,
and sick actions to those animals, but wasn't Vick sentensed to jail for his
criminal actions? Didn't Vicks paid for his actions under the criminal justice
system in one of the worst prisons in the country? Why would any normal person
call for double jeopardy in Vicks case, punished by the Nation's justice

system, and now by NFL. I'm of the opinion that Vick should be given another

chance to earn a living, for his sake and his Children's sake. How can we

justify an athlete that has murder in his resume walk away with a wrist slap

in the NFL, and one with dog fighting is crucified more than necessary. Let's

make no mistake, Pit Bulls are not Angelic dogs. Why then ruin a human career

over a pit bull or several pit bulls even when the offender has served years

in jail for his crime. It is amazing that NFL owners are afraid of animal

rights society while abandonning the human rights society. Pit Bulls should be

banned in this country anyway.

Posted by: abxinc | July 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

TE
I'm not prejudiced against Orakpo, hope he does very well, but ALL rooks need to show it at this level IMHO. Last year they were ok (linebackers)and Fletch was a year younger. What happens if he goes down? Are you sold on Rocky being a stud or does he happen to be the best we have now?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

larryinclintonmd

"Now I love player celebration, but there was something about his that did not feel right."

Touchdown, interception, and sack celebrations make sense.

But dudes celebrate catches they make on 2 and 6 or tackles made four yards downfield.

There is never any need whatsoever to highlight the ordinary.

College and pro football ego-manical, muscle-bound dudes who celebrate just doing the basics of their job like they are auditioning for Dancing With The Stars or FAME.

What's made it worse--especially in college games-- are the overzealous officials who sometimes follow a guy to the sideline waiting for a celebration eruption, just so they can toss a flag in the air.

The middleground?: let guys enjoy themselves if they get a turnover, sack, or touchdown.

As for the other stuff, they should just go to the sideline and sit down.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 25, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan

"..I also think the LB's are a weakness.."

Verb tense error.

The linebackers were a soft spot on a good defense.

The addition of R Thomas puts in a player to back at R McIntosh's back, and converting C Wilson to a slb adds another young player to the linebacker depth chart.

With Orakpo in the house, HB Blades backs up at slb and mlb. About the rookies, all one can hope for is that they ball-out on special teams and again, provide depth.

Thing is, in Blache's system, linebackers aren't valued like safeties are. So if they are a weakness, it not such that it'll hamper the unit's over all performance.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 25, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

I hope you are right brother! Can we get started with football already?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW,

Anybody else see the youtube of Keith Eloi jumping backwards out of the pool? Impressive. I don't think it translates directly into being a stud at WR in the NFL, buy cool athletic feat none the less.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | July 25, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

beep beep.
you've had the mayor and the marine mammal up here. now there's maese...jreid and his photo will be back at the top when the grafix team is done with it....do not despair.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 25, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

John Corcoran's Mash Note to a (former) Fat Guy...is in his latest column at

EXCERPT:

"As 2009 progressed...there would be optimistic reports that the lard was melting off Mike and a photo (which could have been photoshopped) showed up on the Redskins website...

Then, earlier this month came word that the listed weight of 360 for Mike on the ‘skins website was indeed false.

“Ha!” I wondered. “What is his weight now?” Is he back over 400? Has he hit a quarter ton? Nope. And ‘scuse me while I wipe the eggbeaters off my face--dude now tickles the Toledo’s at OMG--354!"

Posted by: TheCork | July 25, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse