Skins Cut Torrence, Sign Hall

The Redskins have waived cornerback Leigh Torrence and officially signed cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

Torrence joined the Redskins as a free agent on Dec. 27, 2006. He played in 16 games last season and in nine as a reserve this season.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 8, 2008; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'The Jasons' Work through the Bye
Next: Torrence Shocked By Release

Comments

wait for it...

Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

thats suprising...they must love tryon

Posted by: theredskin | November 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Torrence is a bum. Get him out of here and welcome hall

Posted by: rhymemind3 | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Guess it's officially official. It looks like they have some faith in Kelly's knee.

Posted by: JinxMan | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Torrence drew the short stick. I would've cut Tryon, but Torrence has been given the opportunity to step up the last few years and he just couldn't turn the corner.

Posted by: TWISI | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Torrence was probably my FIRST choice to go. Means they still see a lot of upside in Tryon.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

first!!!!!!!!

Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm kind of surprised by this cut-- Torrence is at least good on special teams and Tryon hasn't shown anything...

happy trails, leigh!

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 8, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Betts must not be ready either & Tryon has been making some appearances on Punt coverage.

Posted by: JinxMan | November 8, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JinxMan | November 8, 2008 12:32 PM

I wouldn't assume that. I think it just means that they can't find playing time for all the DBs on the roster, so one of them had to go. When they put Kelly on IR, they'll bring in another receiver.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Pass caught by (insert any wide receiver name here). Coverage by Tryon." Gonna hear that a lot more over the years.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we get the Donnie Avery play back?

Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 8, 2008 12:33 PM

I think he must be showing them something in practice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

All in all it makes sense. Hall is replacing our nickel back, so the present nickel back gets to go bye-bye.

Definitely a talent upgrade from Torrence, and a guy that you have to feel alright about if he needs to step in to be the No.2 or even No.1 CB.

Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I dont get it. Keep Torrence to play on ST's. Cut Tryon since no team will most likely not pick him up and sign him to the practice squad. Torrence will probably sign somewhere else since he has some experience. If Hall gets hurt or any other CB for that matter, then it's gonna be rough.

Posted by: isonic1 | November 8, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we get the Donnie Avery play back?
Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 12:34 PM

LOL. When I read the topic my first thought was, "Wish we had D Hall on Avery..."

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I am too surprised by this move. Of course I do not have the benefit of watching our team in practice and the only film I have of them is what is shown on the tube, so I have to trust in Zorn, Blache and Gray.

Go Skins!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So Leigh Torrence spent 2005 with the Atlanta Falcons. Do you think the 'Skins asked Leigh for his impressions of DeAngelo Hall?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

STUPID cut. Justin Tryon is worthless and has managed to stick around while numerous other, better players have been cut. Admit it, Vinny. You had a lousy draft and Tryon was a mistake. If not for Chris Horton, it might have been the worst draft in the league.

Leigh Torrence deserved better.

Posted by: drischord | November 8, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention Hall turns 25 this month. If we can harvest him into not being a cancer (maybe some beat down sessions with Fletcher?) and try and sign him in the offseason to a multi-year deal then we could have a replacement for springs and not have to go through the draft. Since that clearly doesn't work (Tryon.)

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2008 12:45 PM |

curzon, What's wrong with you? None of us get to see him in practice, but ALL of us know this stuff better than Zorn, Blache, or Gray. Be a man -- just say which one is better.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence deserved better.

Posted by: drischord | November 8, 2008 12:46 PM |

We'll see, won't we? Who do you think will sign him? Pittsburgh? New England? Balmer?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If Tryon was an elite corner prospect he would have been taken before the 4th round. Yeah he sucked badly in the preseason but you can't tag him as a bust yet the same way you can't with Kelly, Thomas or Rinehart. Some people are so short sighted. Are we gonna fall apart without Leigh Torrence? All I remember him doing was yell at Jim Haslett and then get burned.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

++++The more I think about this, the more I don't like it. It's low risk in terms of salary cap and no draft picks, but high risk if he really is a locker room issue/me-first guy. Prove me wrong, Deangelo.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG++++

Don't be so durn negative. Notorious. Afterall, Vinny Cerrato made the deal. He's the guy who brought in JT and Erasmus James to solve the DE problem, Durant Brooks to solve the punting problem, J.T. Tryon to solve the CB problem and three rookie receivers to solve the receiver problem.

So what could go wrong?

Posted by: TheCork | November 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 12:47 PM |

Not to mention what busts Rogers, Landry, and Sean Taylor have been. We clearly shouldn't be picking DB's in the draft with this record.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I can live with the Torrence cut.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Damn, since my manhood is called into play...should have cut Tryon...this was all about making it look like a good draft...WTF was Blache thinking!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 8, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 8, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

+++Definitely a talent upgrade from Torrence...

Posted by: p1funk++++

I saw Hall beaten eight times by Eddie Royal in one game. And I saw him get so frustrated by his national embarrassment he got called for at least one, and I think two personal fouls.

If Blache and Grey have determined Torrence isn't worth keeping, obviously I accept that.

And a punt returner and nickle back is probably worth what they are paying to rent Hall. But as a starting corner, he's a sieve.

He makes Ade Jimoh look like Darrell Green in his prime.

Posted by: TheCork | November 8, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers would be the best corner in the league if he caught the GD ball. I want to know why they stop pressing receivers at the line after that has worked for an entire game. Rogers gives a huge cushion at the GOAL LINE on santonio holmes and they change the play to a quick out and he scores easily. you have 5 yards. USE THEM. Hell, push them out of bounds then they can't touch the ball. It makes no sense to me why this doesn't happen every down on defense.

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not in the business of defending Hall, but lets look at what happened. He called out Bobby Petrino in Atlanta, which turned out to be 100% accurate. That situation was a disaster. Oakland just fired their coach and Al Davis needs to be "Baker Acted". He'll be just fine for us.

Posted by: rich20ssu | November 8, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes, ST and Landry are great, but this is the NFL. It takes time to learn the game except for at running back. Being able to keep that #1 pick for some other necessity and sign a vet with potential seems like a no brainer for me.

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

rich20ssu. totally agree. The teams he has been on were straight junk shows. The Vick saga, Patrino, and then you can just say "The Raiders," we all laugh and move on.

Posted by: parasonic | November 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

He makes Ade Jimoh look like Darrell Green in his prime.

Posted by: TheCork | November 8, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hall also went to 2 Pro Bowls coming out of his rookie year. I'm prepared to give him a mulligan on his time in Oakland given the circumstances. At 24 with the talent he's got with good coaching and a functional team, it's definitely worth a try.

Not to mention that Eddie Royal has been abusing virtually everyone he's played against.

Bottom line - Having DeAngelo over Leigh Torrence as our 3rd CB is a no-brainer.

Posted by: p1funk | November 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Torrence cost us the game against the Rams, i wanted him released immediately after that... Get him out of here and bring in Hall. Good move skins

Posted by: hender_22 | November 8, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse