Hall Agrees to One-Year Deal

Free-agent corner DeAngelo Hall has agreed to a one-year deal with the Redskins, according to sources.

It is unlikely that the team will formally announce the move until tomorrow afternoon. As a rule, players must pass a physical before signing. Hall, a two-time Pro Bowler who had no medical problems with the Oakland Raiders, his most recent team, is expected to take his physical tomorrow.

Hall, 24, was released by Oakland on Wednesday, just months after the Raiders traded second- and fifth-round draft picks to Atlanta for him, then signed him to a seven-year, $70 million contract. By clearing waivers, the contract was voided.

With Hall, a Virginia Tech product and Chesapeake, Va., native, signing here, corner Shawn Springs could end up playing more at safety. The Redskins lack depth at free safety, and by moving Springs back there, LaRon Landry would be free to wreak more havoc near the line of scrimmage both in the run game and as a blitzer (Washington;s pass rush has been weak and often blitzing linebackers and defensive backs have failed to get to the passer).

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 7, 2008; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark's Tribute: Individuality in Team Sport
Next: Fines From Monday Night

Comments

GOT 'EM!!!!!!!!!

Skins must've been FIRST in his heart.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

First in the NFC EAST now boyzzz

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice move! Any info on the contract?

Be nice to see him on the field against the girls!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Going on the record, not a fan of this move. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

BALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 7, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think in response to this signing, the Washington Post should fire jasno

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

YEAHHHHH BOYYYY, cornerback depth/springs could play safety. And hopefully he'll return punts.

Posted by: kreitmaster | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

yesssssssssssssssssss i knew. love you danny

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We just siginficantly imporoved our punt return, now ARE can go back to being just a wacky WR. And no more tweaked hammies for Moss. Deangelo makes for a good thrid string/nickel thats fo sho.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 7, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wait, if poolman is for this then I change my vote, bad move!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be a half year deal?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

just think of how much Dallas needed him more than we did. you gotta love it.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | November 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

From PFT:

HALL TO THE REDSKINS
Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2008, 2:14 p.m. EST

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that cornerback DeAngelo Hall has agreed to terms on a one-year deal with the Washington Redskins.

We’ve confirmed the news, and we’re told that it’s for the same prorated $1 million salary he would have received if he had stayed in Oakland.

We’re also told that the contract contains a commitment that the Redskins won’t use the franchise tag on Hall in 2009.

His selection of the Redskins resulted in part from the fact he grew up close to Washington, and that he was a Redskins fan while growing up.

So, in the end, he’ll make the same amount he would have made in Oakland if he’d agreed to waive the injury guarantee applicable to the $16.5 million in 2009 bonus money and salary. And he’ll be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

And he’s playing for a 6-3 team that is competing for a playoff berth.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hscskins | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Curzon, beep-beep got me again. I'm one up on you now on reposts!

repost

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse
That's huge! Now we have the best back 4 in football. Can anyone think of a D backfield that compares?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Excellent, now please cut Torrence! In Torrence's place lets bring bring back Nix and put Kelly on IR.

Posted by: clark202 | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I think a great move. It should strengthen the team at 3 positions. It should help improve the rush as well. I hope we get Hall the all pro.

Posted by: TWISI | November 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

My recent record on Skins moves:

Jason Taylor: Pro
Draft picks: the WRs, Pro
Draft picks: Fred Davis, Colt, Brooks, Against
Lloyd: Against
Arch: Against
Fletcher: Pro
Smoot: Pro
ARE: Pro
Andre Carter: Against
Jason Campbell: Pro

Taking a look, I'm not looking so good on the WRs and Jason Taylor. Andre Carter hasn't lived up to his paycheck, but he's started.

Most of the rest I've called well. One other that was alow level thing ... I didn't think much of the McCardell signing, but thought he played very well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

good move... but defintely not a need position (by that I mean neither Corner or Safety). I think the most important part of this, is this should be Springs' last year...and even though this is a one year rental it should put us in a good position to resign him. It will also really help special teams...DHall was an elite punt returner early in his career and with the depth at DB their should be no reason he isn't our primary punt returner...

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | November 7, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL fredie. I now refresh my RI tab before posting.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Huge fan of the move. For 1 reason: it is only a 1 year deal. Things are looking up as a skins fan.

1) JC looks like he has turned a corner (i was solded on him last year though)

2) JZ looks like a good HC.

3)Probably the biggest thing, the FO may have turned a corner. Starting with the offseason a couple years ago when all we did was get london fletcher.

Posted by: NFeKPo | November 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be a half year deal?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It'll be prorated.

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to watching Zorn tear MeAngelo a new one on the sideline when he blows a coverage assignment.

Posted by: wp11239 | November 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

dont harp on the "solded" it's friday at 2 30

Posted by: NFeKPo | November 7, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

either this signing of hall was briliant, or we will look at it like people did the cowboys with Roy Williams... "you needed help on the other side"

Posted by: alex35332

Except if it doesn't work out, we won't have lost 3 draft picks in the process.

This is a no-lose situation. Well done Vinny.

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If nothing else, maybe now we'll have better punt returns without having to risk Santana.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 7, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

... Hall is one of a long line of classless me-first Hokies. Bad move for our beloved skins.

Posted by: hscskins | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM

Do you have any evidence to back this alleged fact up, or do you just serve as a mouth, thus allowing ESPN to serve you their BS?

"They don't know the man but say he is classless." Sounds like a statement MANY of us were saying about a year ago.

Look I know I probably shouldn't go here, and I'm not saying that he'll ever amount to what he was but, you'd think for a fanbase that was watching Sean Taylor become a great football player and even better man, after his checkered past, would be a little less judegmental about people.

I think Hall will fit in here. How could you NOT like this deal... there isn't any downside at all. What's not to like?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

TWO Words: PUNT RETURNS

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Going on the record, not a fan of this move. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1

I have to agree with you on that one.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 7, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

How about Tryon instead of Torrence. Tryon hasn't done anything, at least Torrence is a good ST player and an ok CB backup.

Posted by: isonic1 | November 7, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

According to a report I heard on ESPN this morning, the Raider players were upset about Hall being cut....could not understand it.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 7, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I think its a good depth move. Just like Randy Moss benefited from leaving the same dysfunctional team and locker room to join a team with real structure like the Pats. I think the same thing can happen to DeAngelo here. He joins a team with real leaders like London Fletcher that aren't going to put up with him popping off at the mouth. I'll be happy with him playing nickel CB.

Plus there's the added bonus that he's essentially playing for a new contract that should motivate him to do well. I think its a win-win scenario for the skins.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 7, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow....Just Wow...

How can Vinny sign someone on the same day as his radio show? What's wrong with that dude? He should be working on Monday's show.

Wow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R

Read a quote from their #1 CB (with the hard name to spell) said that as well. Also read that the Raiders would have kept him if he waived the injury part of his contract.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How can the Riader players understand anything going on there? They signed Hall, Walker and Tommy Kelly to ridiculous contracts (probably close to 50 million in bonuses) and now there is talk about having the other 2 cut as well. Al Davis is a senile moron. Hopefully it will benefit us. Don't be an ass and play good DHall.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not liking the move, but here are the numbers on the guy:

He was Pro Bowl in 05 and 06. As a punt returner, he has 13 returns for 123 yards, the longest was 27 yards.

So far this year, he has 1 fumble recovery, 3 picks and .5 sacks and is on his way to a career high in tackles.

He turns 25 in 12 days and has played in 55 games already.

I suspect he has probably been thrown on more than any other CB in the league. The other CB for the Raiders is a true shutdown, maybe the best in the league

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

4th, LMAO!!!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I want to be on record as saying that I am a fan of this move if it works out. Not one if it doesn't. Oh wait...

I mean in a way it could be fantastic with Springs inability to stay healthy and he's a great player. However, I hope it doesn't mess with the eprit de cor of the backfield and D as a whole.

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hscskins | November 7, 2008 2:25 PM

Bad move if we trade for him and pay him like Oakland did. He's a $1 million rental who will improve the punt return game and bolster the defensive backfield. He's not going to walk in here and start; if you think he's worse than Tryon or Torrence you're nuts. And he's not going to beat out Smoot, Springs or Rogers (maybe Smoot, but that won't happen for weeks if at all). So worst case scenario, you're deeper at corner and have an upgrade returning punts.

As for his turdish tendencies, at 24 he might get rid of that behavior in the right situation (see Moss, Randy). With London Fletcher and Griffin and Washington and Springs and all the class veterans we have on this team, he's get jacked up if he acts like a turd here. Plus Blache would probably kill him. Literally. I was against it when it was hypothetical, but now that it's done I can get behind it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Flag on gweez for the lame attempt at sounding worldly....

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Going on the record, not a fan of this move. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Sound like me when talking politics. Here is the thing (i think) if Hall cant be happy here, on a team he grew up liking, than he will not be happy anywhere.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Another thing to think about is that just because Al Davis doesn't like somebody, it doesn't mean that they are a bad player or person. Al Davis is just plain crazy......seriously crazy. Pretty soon somebody out there is going to relieve him of his duties in a court battle over his mental faculties.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 7, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how people can think this is a bad move. In total cost (both monetary and assets-wise), this pickup is no different than signing a journeyman DB for a depleted secondary (ie Mike Green, picked up a couple weeks ago). Only instead of getting a journeyman DB, you're getting a 24 year old 2-time pro-bowl cornerback. There is no downside to this, other than somebody on the roster being let go (I know how much you guys will miss Tryon/Green).

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

or lack thereof dl

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hall to the Redskins, Hall victory...

I wholeheartedly support this move, and I think the locker room cancer thing is FALSE. Adding this dude as our third/fourth CB... that's an upgrade for sure.

So... is he going to be returning punts?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

When he first got cut I was on here saying we should NOT sign him. I was very against it.

But when I read this I got pumped. I think our locker room will keep this guy in check, and I really think he has a lot to play for. If he really did grow up a Skins fan, that's an added bonus obviously. But this guy is playing for pride and to prove that he isn't what EVERYONE is saying he is.

I mostly watch Falcons games down here and if I HAD to pick a second team, it'd be the Falcons, and I was a fan of DeAngelo in ATL before he got TOO out of hand. I don't mind a personal foul penalty every now and then, Dirty Thiry and #21 sometimes had to lay the wood to show who was boss.

Where can I get a DeAngelo Hall Skins jersey!?!

Will he play against DAL?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how I feel. Someone posted yesterday how poorly his pass coverage was, but perhaps coming to a good situation will help, or at least I'm hopeful that it will.

Who was let go in order to free up a spot on the roster??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 7, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this a good quote or bad quote (based on his outlook of Al Davis):

As once-bright-star cornerback DeAngelo Hall was on his way out of Oakland, he didn't have a lot to say. But he did say this:

“This is a blessing,” Hall told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche. “I have learned it’s not all about the money. I’ve learned now it’s more about the team. Ain’t all money good money. I took the bait. I went for the money and I didn’t research the situation. But I don’t think I would trade this for the world. Just to meet (owner) Al Davis, to get to pick his brain, to know the kind of person he is and the impression he had on football is good for me to say that I know him.”

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM

Ha ha, you're right. How can he have time to do both jobs? Maybe Jasno knows!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 7, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

So true. Davis is horrid. He kept Marcus Allen, in mid career, on the bench out of spite. He's been a crook for a long time.

Hall's issues are beyond Al Davis. His play on the field and his issue in ATL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Vinny = superhero

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VamosUnited | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

yeeeeeeeeeah boi...i knew it. GO REDSKINS

Posted by: FAB88 | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Hall will upgrade our punt return unit, which will allow Randle-El and Moss to focus on offense. He will also be a viable 3rd CB, and is a vast improvement over Torrence and Tryon alone. His physical skills have always been evident, he just needs someone (maybe Carlos) to show him what the value of a good work ethic can do to your career. If he can get his head straight and improve his work ethic, then he has the potential to be an All Pro. The fact that we are paying minimul for that kind of potential, IMHO, makes this a great signing for the Skins.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | November 7, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I just hope this move doesn't impact #48's playing time...

Posted by: P00P | November 7, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow....Just Wow...

Wow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This was very good! Made me laugh!

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"The kid's a cancer on and off the field. The Skins had a secondary with enough experience, don't need a "me first" guy who has a histroy of problems.

Posted by: VamosUnited | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM"

I think the me-first attitude will stop when he's 3rd corner on a good day. And he'll be surrounded by vets on the D, they'll keep this scrawny guy in check.

I wanna be the first to buy a DHall jersey!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I just heard him on Sirius. Asked Why Washington, he said "it's home". Says the Skins called him first, and said they wanted him to be a part of the team. Says his struggles on the field in Oakland were as much to do with the scheme as him. Classy answers about what happened in Oakland too, really likes them and thinks highly of Al Davis, thinks they are all good people there.

Says he will be ready for Dallas.

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hall was/is a Skins fan growing up in VA. He's not playing for the $$$ right now. It's about getting this team to the Superb0%^......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

PS WHERE is the text message on this!?!

Is this not text-worthy!?!

slacking!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I just hope this move doesn't impact #48's playing time...

Posted by: P00P | November 7, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I wish you'd shutup. See you at jackson's at 6pm. Done!

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

There is no downside for signing for peanuts someone who is better than Torrance. Obviously no one out there was willing to give him a long term deal. The Redskins upgrade their secondary for the playoff run, and Hall gets a seven game audition for a big contract next year. Don't assume that because he signed here for the balance of the year that he'll be here in 2009.

Posted by: spidey103 | November 7, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

HORRIBLE news! Meangelo is a CANCER.

say goodbye to any team chemistry

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | November 7, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on what Hall can do. We do press coverage well. Rogers is the best cover guy we have, but Blache does a lot of matchup thinking, its not always #1 CB on #1 WR. So I think Hall is a 'pick and choose' guy, based on specific matchups. I'm not sure he gets moved ahead of Smoot at this time.

I don't think he's a safety. Horton and Landry have those spots and I'd trust Springs if we needed a backup there.

On punt returns, yes. Having ARE back there is too much of a risk and not much reward. Hall lessens the risk and ups the reward.

No one has mentioned this, but is he able to play a bit at WR? A handful of plays a game when 'Tana needs a breather. He's more athletic than Thrash or Thomas. I can see Hall on the bubble screen, for instance.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I think even more important is that he is in shape... at least he has been playing this year. Peeps like Alexander prolly are just rounding into shape, so any FA addition would have some catch up time.

And really, DB isnt hard. Line up, bump at the line, dont fall for the double move. Zone is harder to adjust to.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

D Hall is not Archuleta. He is a playmaker, and and vital depth. Our secondary has always been our backbone, and it was in danger of falling apart with springs and smoot reaching the end of their careers. If hall returns to form, we will have two of the better cover corners in the league, with rogers and hall (one of which can catch)

Posted by: SkinsWins | November 7, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

LOL fredie. I now refresh my RI tab before posting.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse
What an idea...planning ahead. What are the chances I'll have to repost this one.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VamosUnited | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM |

Look where he came from. He was a 'veteren' and 'leader' in ATL at 23 yrs old. Too young to be a vet or leader.

He's now on a team of true veteran players.

Also, Smoot and Springs have not been able to stay on the field for a complete game this year yet. Have they?

Cut Torrence and NOT Tryon. Tryon has more potential........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

That story also said he has 3 picks and the most tackles in his carrer.

So i dont know how much him getting burned is the lack of help from the safety. Even with Tryon, team dont throw deep on us.

Now, keep JT out until he is 100% and let Evans grow into his role, then we should start seeing more sacks (aka coverage sacks)

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I would like to welcome Hall with a good ol fashion Pacific Island howdoyado!

I would also like to ask him if he's ever had the opportunity to shut his wh*re'ish mouth?

I think he's a dirty pirate hooker but he's a Dirty Redskin Pirate Hooker now...so for today let us show our love and appreciation by donning our back up Steelers jerzies and a 30 second golf clap

Posted by: P00P | November 7, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

My gut is this is a dress rehearsal for next year to see if A. He can be a reliable corner and B. See if he can get along.

Some other things I think:

If 15 teams inquired about him his performance couldn't have been that abysmal in Oakland.

Blache clearly feels like he can work with the dude.

Given the fact that with Springs back he probably won't start and that he signed a short term deal he obviously wants to come here. That is a good sign of him behaving and I love any player who wants to be a Redskin.

If we can get a Corner for no draft picks that saves us one next year. It's like stealing back the JT pick. Nice move Vincent.

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Vinny, incredible how you were able to do this WHILE ON THE RADIO! We all know how it just wouldn't be possible for such work to be done with your show, you must have found a way to Clone yourself or something!

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Hall can show CR22 how to 'catch' a football.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

GO GIANTS!

Posted by: upland_bill | November 7, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Cut Torrence and NOT Tryon. Tryon has more potential........

Posted by: 4thFloor

Says who? Because he was drafted? They're both young and athletic, and at least Torrence is trusted enough to actually see the field.

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I wanna see DeAngelo Hall late hit TO on the first play, then as TO is getting up Dirty Thirty busts in and we have the first double-late hit in NFL history.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that was the most informative, useful post ever upland bill... leave to New Yorkers, the creators of my favorite phrase while grabbing ones crotchal region "Treat urself'!

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with whomever said that this is as good a move for us getting him than Dallas NOT getting him. I'm hoping/praying that being his "hometown" team and moreover that he's kind of on his last strike before becoming a pariah in the league, he'll be on his best behavior.

Love the punt return potential. Was he any good as a PR for Atlanta?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I like the move for the simple fact that he provides solid depth. Springs is always hurt and Smoot has been battling injuries all year too. D-lo is coming to a great situation where he has no pressure to perform up to the standards of the $70 mill contract he signed in Oakland.

Definitely think he'll be returning punts, but something else to consider is he played a little WR at Tech and ATL. Could be a nice wrinkle to throw in for a handful of plays...he couldn't do any worse than Thomas or Thrash.

Posted by: sgurg | November 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Hello!
Has anyone actually WATCHED this guy play. He gets beat ALL THE TIME. Not a great move. He may help a little, but this is NOT some great move. You'll find out. This guy is WAY OVERRATED.

Posted by: frankjomama | November 7, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Low risk, high reward signing. We need a 3rd corner with Springs injured and likely only to be able to play part-time the next few weeks. We now can use Springs at free safety in pass situations and use Landry more as a blitzer. Overall depth is improved whether Hall eventually starts ahead of Smoot or not. No other team has 4 proven starters at CB like the Skins have now.

Between the Redskins lockerroom vet, Greg Blatche, and Jim Zorn, Hall will be under control for the rest of this season. He's now play for his next contract and is in a good situation playing for a winning team. If he doesn't keep his mouth shut, he'll be gone very quickly.

Hope Hall can help on punt returns as ARE is not the man to do it anymore and is too valuable as a starting WR. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a chance to return a punt or two next week against Dallas.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 7, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think if you consider that we were not desperate for the guy than its an ok move.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Cut Torrence and NOT Tryon. Tryon has more potential........

Posted by: 4thFloor

Don't need to cut either one. Shaun Alexander is on his way out already, why cut anybody else?

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it ... you're the Redskins ... nothing good can come of this

Posted by: Eaglegreen | November 7, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | November 7, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

His career stats:

He's returned punts and kickoffs as well as time at WR and corner.

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"There may be something he was doing wrong sort of like a pitcher who's tipping his pitches and the teams who wanted him know how to fix it.

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM "

What he was doing wrong was being involved in one of, if not the, worst defensive schemes in the NFL. Seriously, OAK's scheme was/is awful.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

FYI here is something to not about Mr Hall

Does not make him a saint but gives us a opening for getting the guy on the right track.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hall spent a lot of time talking with defensive backs coach Jerry Gray, and Hall likes the team’s extensive use of press coverage."

Is that on field press coverage or off field press coverage, Jasno?

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | November 7, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hall is terrbile. He has done nothing but ruin teams. It was like Shermans march to the sea! I mean look at all the teams he has lef tin his wake. Atlanta was soley his fault, no coaches quit or anything. Oakland! please he demanded to be cut and even after he was cut all his teamates were happy to see him go! He will ruin the chemstry of this team who needs someone that talks to the email about wishing he had a different oline then leads the league in rushing. oppss!

The Redskins aren't without personalities but they are all professional. The control the attitudes and get jobs done he will fall in line just like all others. He adds depth that no other team in the NFL has. He is jsut as talented than smoot at the very least and it will show through when he finally gets involved with a real coach. He may get beat but that is a result of the kind of game he plays. They don't play that in Washington he will adapt his game to the style of the team or he will be gone.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 7, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It be beer o'clock for me... have a great weekend peeps

Posted by: Zeebs | November 7, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

IF all this does is motivate a certain underachieving DB to catch an open soft toss to his gut next time, then it's worth it.

Posted by: Sweetback | November 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Signed just in time to play his first game as a redskin against the cowboys 3 days before his 25th birthday.

Also his charity to combat violence among youth is a much better cause than Cowboy Packman's fund for under-advantaged strippers.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

They were trying to trade some high level picks for this guy before the season, so this is a steal..The Raider fire sale is on!! Got any good linemen we can take?!

Posted by: frak | November 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This strikes me as a great move. I can't see any downside risk -- if the guy's a jerk we cut him. There's no bonus involved so we pay him by the week.

And there's a lot of upside. If he gets cut by the 'Skins he's gonna have a hard time landing a decent off-season deal -- so he's going to have every incentive to look good every play.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who got cut to make room?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Where can I get a DeAngelo Hall Skins jersey!?!

Will he play against DAL?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If that's the case, and he's had several years since then to mature, and to see the down-side of the NFL in Oakland, he has all the incentive in the world to make this work.

Also, we wanted to sign him this past year, but wouldn't pay him the money the Raiders were offering him. Now we get him for practically nothing, and have the inside shot to evaluate him and sign him next year.

I think it's a great move. I expect he will be returning punts and playing special teams against the Girls.

Great move!

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VamosUnited | November 7, 2008 2:54 PM"
HORRIBLE news! Meangelo is a CANCER.
say goodbye to any team chemistry
Posted by: TheSuperhoo | November 7, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

To you people who say things like this: No we're not the Patriots organization, but please, 'see New England Patriots'. You're just like all the small minded followers of the world who accepted the media's horrible reporting of who Sean Taylor was and and what he stood as he was in the hospital and shortly after his death, until those who REALLY knew him spoke up and exclaimed his true loving kindness, personality, and intent in life. He was never a thug or an a**hole: he was good guy who didn't take crap from anyone and was an absolute baller on the field of play. Even the selfish T.O.(whom ST repeatedly made look bad) had to say about him.

So, how bout' you wait a few weeks on Hall in ajersey before you so clairvoyantly deem this move the end of the Skins season/demise of their locker room.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but you act like you know it all before it even happens, and as if the past is a guaranteed conclusion of the future. You must NOT be Redskin fans, who should always hope for the best and root for any player wearing burgundy and gold. Thank you for your support. :)

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it ... you're the Redskins ... nothing good can come of this

Posted by: Eaglegreen

Since we beat you guys there is nothing really you can say at this point.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 7, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Truth says - don't get rid of Tryon

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I may be wrong, but I think we cut 2 people a while back and only signed 1.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Great move. Just looked at a bunch of scenarios, and I think it would be best for the Skins if the Giants beat the Eagles on Sunday. What do you all think?

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | November 7, 2008 3:18 PM "

yes, my goal is getting to the playoffs. We'll get our shot at the Giants but we have to like any separation we can get as the #2 team from the #3 and #4 teams in the NFC Beast. It's not a given we'll beat both DAL and PHI again, so we need them to lose as much as possible.

Being #1 or #2 isn't as drastic a switch as being #2 or #3.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This was a GREAT move with Springs being out hurt. He is only 24 years old and can down out play CB. We can lock him down for years to come.. Some of you now are saying bad move but when he get a INT against Dallas next week you going to be cheering. GO SKINS

Posted by: deckyc | November 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

yes, Fan13...GO GIANTS ... bury the Iggles

Posted by: bobeaston | November 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 7, 2008 3:22 PM

God, you're terrible. You don't even know about the situation! Hall's teammates are baffled by the move, and their #1 CB--the best in the business said that he couldn't understand the move.

Atlanta was soley his fault? Dude, to be honest you lost me with that doozy right there. Again, do you actually follow football?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

lets be honest, the only good thing to come out of philly has been cheese steaks and easy women. And the women are by in large not that hot. Gotta root NY

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Worse move ever. Fire Vinnie. NOW.

Posted by: oldstyl | November 7, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

te, agreed, this is low risk, high reward....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 7, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Truth, I'm wracking my brain about Hall with the Falcons. If I right, he was a real stan-up guy until he had that run-in with that stupid coach, wasn't he?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 3:29 PM"

I wouldn't say "stand-up guy" really, but man, if I really put some thought into DHall's career he's looking like the definition of scapegoat.

He definitely wasn't ever a saint or a goody-two-shoes, but he was playing in ATL at a time when they had a swagger about them. He had the blowup on Steve Smith where he got like 70 penalty yards on one drive in 3 penalties, but as I've said before #21 and #30 both had late hits and stuff like that.

I'll just say that when he was playing at his Pro-Bowl level in ATL he was fun to watch and he just seemed to show up in plays. As someone said he's not scared to hit, so he's not soft.

I'm liking this deal a lot, even though I was against it a couple days ago.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Again, do you actually follow football?

Posted by: RedDMV

Red dude, did you read Pleepleus' whole post?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Now TO can toast him on two teams. I cant wait until he tears apart that locker room. If you didnt need him why did your coaching staff go after him??

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it ... you're the Redskins ... nothing good can come of this

Posted by: Eaglegreen

Since we beat you guys there is nothing really you can say at this point.

JM220

Yeah!! Getum' JN220!! Eagles fans shouldn't even be aloud to post here until they at least win 1 Super Bowl. lol These guys are so jealous, they sit around posting on our team strengthening moves to try and put a black cloud over it. I might read and ignore that post if it was a Steeler fan or 49er fan, but Eagles fans should just enjoy the Philly World Series win and leave it at that.

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Signed up just in time to get abused by TO!

Posted by: Romorulz | November 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

YES I called it! :)

Show me some love here Jason.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey romosexual, is feel weird when Tony puts that broken finger all splinted up on the back of your head when you are ________ his ________

and SJK

WE WANT DALLAS!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh god!! Here we go with the whiney-a** Cowgirl fans now. You got your 5 rings and your team has been the most overrated sacks of poop every since Snyder took over. I understand you're mad, like a little spoiled kid stuck living in the wild now, but go to your own team blogs and gripe. Redskins fans don't care and just laugh. Hail to the Redskins!! I bought a new broom. lol

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM

After the girls signed the "rainman" girl fans should be the last to talk about any DB.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

PS, sorry if I offended any Gays with that, I know most gay men would never have anythig to do with a shmuck like romo.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

BAD MOVE!

Pleeeease prove me wrong, MeAngelo!

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 7, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Mixed feelings...the more I read the comments the more I like the signing. Best part is that a NFC East foe did NOT get him.

Posted by: Masonman | November 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, BTW, he better NOT take Sean Taylor's number!

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse
Signed up just in time to get abused by TO!
Posted by: Romorulz | November 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION COWGIRL FANS!!!: T.O. HASN'T DONE POOP ALL YEAR, AND SPRINGS WILL BE THERE SHUTTING HIM DOWN, JUST LIKE HE HAS BEEN THE PAST FEW YEARS.

You Dallas fans are really letting your emotions get the best of you. You're embarrassing yourselves on Redskins-based blog. Now I know you bums are sweating!!! Wooooooooooooo!!!

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I think this guy is good but was just dogging it to get out of atlanta for the money and get out of oakland because, well, its oakland. I think he has some ball in him and avoiding having to pay a fat contract makes it a win\win even if he is not the same guy he was when he made the pro bowl twice. He collected 8 million for half of a season and now he is on a team with playoff potential and a one year contract you will see him play his best so he can get money next year. Good move by snyder to wait for him to clear waivers. Give Dan some credit on this one, low risk potential, high reward potential.

Posted by: gdavis4 | November 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, DeAngelo's talking like he's a Redskin for Life. This is what he told Jay Glazer:

"It's a one-year deal for now, but we'll work something out long-term," Hall told FOXSports.com. "That's why I chose them. I don't want to hit the market in the offseason and have to move my family again this year.

"I really like everybody at the Redskins," Hall added. "Coach Zorn is really cool."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

HALL EYEBALLS LONG-TERM STAY WITH THE REDSKINS
Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2008, 3:19 p.m. EST

One major factor that drove the decision of cornerback DeAngelo Hall to sign with the Redskins is the possibility of doing a long-term deal in D.C.

“It’s a one-year deal for now, but we’ll work something out long-term,” Hall told Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com. “That’s why I chose them. I don’t want to hit the market in the offseason and have to move my family again this year.

Per a league source, the Redskins want Hall to prove that he can be an asset in the locker room, and that he can return to past form on the field. If/when that happens, they’ll lock him up for the long haul.

In the end, Hall picked the Redskins from a pool that included three other teams — the Patriots, Ravens, and Jets. The packages, we’re told, were roughly equivalent.

Presumably, Hall will be the long-term replacement for Shawn Springs, who might or might not have been seen cramming a couple of duffel bags into the trunk of his car on Friday.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Dfan,

I have to give you credit. It takes a real man (granted a gay man but it's just a small detail) to advertise his sexual preferance as his user ID. Don't let the other posters get to you, being a fan of d@ck works for you and your team so keep it up.

Posted by: Moose33 | November 7, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Now I dont follow ATL insider stuff but did they try and say Vick's dog fighting ring was Halls fault? Call me crazy but I think that was kinda what crushed Atl

Posted by: alex35332"

honestly when it comes to the whole awful, awful situation in ATL, I wouldn't believe anything you've heard.

Sad fact is that everything that happened post-Vick in ATL had this pitiful race war behind it from both sides. Hall was a "thug" like Vick even though he hasn't done anything off the field to warrant that.

The media in ATL just kept pushing this idea of race vs. race, whether you were white or black, and a lot of people got caught up in it. I can't help but think that has a lot to do with Hall's reputation.

Then you look at him getting a fresh start in Oakland, but that's the WORST place in the NFL you could get a fresh start.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

God, I just hope we don't rewrite his contract like we did Brandon Lloyd's until the guy proves he's a good citizen and a Pro Bowl corner for us.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 3:48 PM

The reaction from the team and Mr Hall is exactly what I think everyone wanted to hear.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Also, it's been reported DHall turned down more money from some other teams to come to Washington. I'm pretty sure Pitt was one and I think NE was the second but not sure on that.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

hscskins

There are a lot of great players from the Classless me first "U" teams that I would take on my teams. So I dont think the school has any barring on this.

Posted by: gdavis4 | November 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dfan | November 7, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Lol first you talk about TO then you say stuff about tearing up locker rooms. You're funny, call us when you win a game.

Posted by: Gweez | November 7, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

frankjomama- are you referring to Hall getting toasted in Oakland? Well gee, everyone struggles in Oakland. (And yes, I do recall that Randy Moss was considered washed up when he left the Black Hole.) More to the point, having watched a lot of Falcons games when Mora was coach, D'Angelo was pretty darn good- and he played Plaxico very well last year even when the Falcons were awful.

Oh, and Eaglesgreen- funny how Eagles fans over at ESPN thought picking up Hall would make the Eagles defense utterly impenetrable.
Bottom line, if Hall was going to join an NFC East squad, it would only be the Skins.
Funny how Moss was seen as a cancer in the lockerroom before he got to NE. I think it's a brilliant move. He's auditioning for 09 for sure. Maybe then we can let Springs go, and fit Hall in as our #1.

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | November 7, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

wow!!! Can't wait till next Sunday

Posted by: dealer1 | November 7, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | November 7, 2008 3:16 PM

We can't cut SA37 until Betts fully healthy. Did you see Rock wimpth on that block and got JC17 blasted?

The signing is not officially done, so no one has been officially cut.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I looked at many sites and cannot find anywhere if there have been any cuts. We probably won't hear until the team makes a formal announcement.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I love it how when anything controversial or precieved to be that way, is posted on theis blog; all these new names start popping out on the board.

And they only leave very simple minded comments like:

"Signed up just in time to get abused by TO!" - Romorulz

"Let's face it ... you're the Redskins ... nothing good can come of this". - Eaglegreen

"Worse move ever. Fire Vinnie. NOW." - oldstyl

Love how some of you can only spew the haterisims.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

PS Hall wears #23 which I think is available, or else who ever has it will be lower in the chart and should sell it to him.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

HALL EYEBALLS LONG-TERM STAY WITH THE REDSKINS
Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2008, 3:19 p.m.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

WOW! like I said in the previous post. We COULD be looking at an elite duo next year with Rogers and Hall. Me so Zorny for Vinnie and Danny now.

Posted by: MeeSoZorny | November 7, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

fresh start in Oakland = power rankings

Posted by: RedDMV | November 7, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Curzon that D. Hall is auditioning for Springs' job next year. I think Springs still has a big role, if healthy, this year with the Skins even if it means playing more safety.

No one seems to mention on here that the late Sean Taylor had some off the field issues and a lot of personal fouls until he started to mature. Hall has never been around a group of veteran leaders like Fletcher, Griffin, Springs, Washington, etc. Not to mention that Jerry Gray, who was a Pro Bowl corner, will be his position coach. If Hall's interview with Glazer means anything, he'll do his best to get with Zorn's program and earn the respect of his teammates so he's here for more than 7 games.

I rarely give Vinny and Danny credit, but they deserve kudos for this move. No draft picks, no renegotiated contract, and may have filled a need for next year. It's not like we picked up Pac-Man Jones like the Cowgirls.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 7, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone noticed, but our defense got a heck of a lot more aggressive against P-Burgh than they have been. Outside of Super-Leftwich coming and playing better than he ever has against an encredibly tired defense, that was on the field the whole night, they also looked solid doing it.

With Hall added to the mix, and Springs back for about 3-4 of the next 7 games, I see the defense getting many more sacks and turnovers in the coming weeks.

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Spin it anyway you want...if that makes you feel better. Eddie Royal had DeAngelo running around in circles as did Dewayne Bowe, Laverneus Coles, Vincent Jackson, Lance Moore even every receiver from the Ravens. He's terrible and you all know it!

Posted by: Romorulz | November 7, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Go Vinny The Last Action Superhero !!
I'm not sure how he managed to sign D. Hall while simultaneously doing a radio show, but that's just what action heroes do.

But seriously, I really dig this move, for all the reasons that my fellow Redskin comrades have given prior to this posting.

The 1st thing that stands out to me is his incentive to treat this like a contract 1/2 year and play his tail off.

The 2nd thing is this can only help us in a major way IF WE ARE to make the play-offs and face teams like Carolina or the Gints or perhaps Philly & Green Bay ( just throwing it out there) This will pay-off in a major way come December and maybe January. REAL BIG FAN OF THIS MOVE.
And like someone said, we will have the inside scout on this guy in the offseason talks if he plays well and we decide we want to make a run at him. Let's see what he has for these next 7 games.

And #3 the most important. We just ate Dallas's food !! And I love it when we snatch the drumstick off of their plates and watch there lips quiver as we eat their lunch. Starve the Boys' out.
Keep eating good SKINS !

HAIL !!!!

Posted by: dspinx | November 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Wizfan89, thanks but can't take the credit. That was a post from PFT.

Though I do think that this will be a 7 game interview for both Hall and the Skins.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

In all this talk of whether DHall is stand-up or not, we may be missing the bigger picture:

Is someone we were to rely on (Springs?) more injured than we've been thinking. Do we actually NEED another veteran baller back there since someone may be off the field for time forward, regardless of character and reputation?

And number TWO (hehe.. poop..) At that price, whaddye have to loose - if he's a cancer, sit him... done.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hall is terrbile. He has done nothing but ruin teams.

Posted by: Pleepleus

What? You mean he forced Bobby Petrino to quit mid-season? You mean The Raiders were good or functional BEFORE Hall got there? Please...

Hall didn't fit in in no-win situations. Team functionality makes a world of difference to a player (see Randy Moss in NE).

Posted by: psps23 | November 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, BTW, he better NOT take Sean Taylor's number!

Posted by: paperboy76 | November 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ST#21 has been retired, hasn't it.

Alex said he wears #23.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I remember 2 years ago the Falcons were playing the Cowboys and TO spit in Hall's face. The refs did not catch it and no foul was called. After the game, TO tried to deny it but finally admitted to the NFL crew that he had in fact spit in Hall's face....said he was sorry and should not have done it but Hall was jawing at him the whole game.

One thing: they better leave my man Springs alone!

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Bad move did anyone see Eddie Royal the rookie from the Broncos torch him in the beggining of the year. Good corners dont get torched by rookies.
OVERRATED
Hall is awful

Posted by: dfwman | November 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The team has yet to address what I think is the biggest need of the defensive line! Yet again they go out and overspend for a so called "talent."
Just trying to guess what JLA will say come next week!

Posted by: Lacantwrite | November 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Keep Cartwright on the punts.

Posted by: kls1 | November 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Romorulz | November 7, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually, you should read the blog you're posting on. Roughly 80% plus of us on here truly see the benefit of adding this guy to an already elite secondary. Again, you've allowed your emotions to cause you to spin it any way YOU want, not the other way around. Your jealous, scared, and embarrassed. You're reacting just like any other former school yard bully backed into a corner. Unfortunately, you can't get into Redskins Nation's head friend, cuz you're a Cowgirl fan and we don't respect you or the team bandwagoned onto in the 90's. Your sure trying though. Silly!!

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
NO! NO! NO! NO!
I can't believe all these favorable comments by Redskin fans. Bad attitude, bad performance....it's me me me me. This guy is the poster boy for all the high-priced, me-first players. And to think, recent reports just finished praising the 'Skins organization for finally bucking the trend of buying high-priced, low-yield players/coaches.

Posted by: thebiggs | November 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

frankjomama

Have we forgotten just a couple of seasons ago the atlanta falcons played the opening game of the season against philly? T.O was shut down by a rookie CB by the name of D'Angelo Hall. He held him to about 1 catch that game. Thats why he was brought here.

Posted by: gdavis4 | November 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

First and foremost let me clarify the DeAngelo Hall situation since i've been here in the ATL for almost three years,Hall was the best db the team had, it only got dicey when Jim Mora jr. was run out of town after the Falcon's fell apart in Mora's last season and the local media,print and radio started looking for scapegoats Algee Crumpler,Hall,Grady Jackson and then when Petrino took over it got goofy overnight just like when Spurrier took over the Skins(same joke different city)Petrino didn't have a clue just like you know who and when the season started going sideways(SHOCKING!!)and the local media started looking for scapegoats they picked on Hall,Crumpler,and Jackson and whadya know Petrino skips town before the season is over, a joke as a coach if there ever was one!!. As i said yesterday Hall is a shutdown corner with Blache and Gray providing leadership he'll be just fine.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 7, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

you know most of us up here have supported this move including me. BUT my question is does jasno support this move? because i can see it after the season jasno will either say "well...the defense was doing just fine and skins had to go and mess with the chemistry...i told you so..." or "...i told you signing hall would be a great move..." depending on the outcome of the season. and it's pitiful. and i don't know why that is being tolerated up here (by wapo). for once i would like to read "i was wrong."

Posted by: dealer1 | November 7, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

frediefritz, Washington only has 1 officially retired number, 33. However there is supposed to be a rule about Ring of Fame #'s, where you don't take one with out the concent of the guy whos in that ring. JC did requested it from Doug Williams and was totally class. I understand there was a big issue in the Spurrier years when Wurfel and Rosenfels were both wearing 9 & 7

Posted by: alex35332 | November 7, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

OVERRATED
Hall is awful

Posted by: dfwman | November 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Is this another freaking Dallas?? He He!! If it is, WOW!!! You girls are so weak. Your so mad your poopendary couldn't have added him, so you want to try and belittle the move to truly convince yourselves it's ok.

It's not ok for you all. :) The Skins will continue to be a major problem for your team, and DHall only makes it worse for the girls.

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"ST#21 has been retired, hasn't it.

Alex said he wears #23.

Posted by: frediefritz "

Sammy Baugh is the only Redskin who has his number retired and probably will be the only one ever to have his jersey retired.

Although #21 is just kinda understood, no one's gonna come in and pick #21 up for a long, long time, if ever.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

alex35332

NY does have hotter women. More diversity in their hotter women too. You can find a hot women of any race their.

Posted by: gdavis4 | November 7, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

alex35332, I think it was Wuerfel and Shane Mathews wearing 7 and 9.

Posted by: MeeSoZorny | November 7, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

As to Vinnie's brilliance:

Pos. Player College Rd.
WR Devin Thomas 2 - runs wrong routes
TE Fred Davis 2 - not on field
WR Malcolm Kelly 2 - always injured
OL Chad Rinehart 3 - is he playing?
CB Justin Tryon 4 - no good
P Durant Brooks 6 - waste of a draft pick
DB Kareem Moore 6 - needs more time
QB Colt Brennan 6 - fragile
DE Rob Jackson 7 - is he playing?
FS Chris Horton 7 - stud - but that's pure luck.

So Vinny is 1 out of 10. He's a terrible evaluator of talent, seems to me.

Posted by: kranosaur | November 7, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

i like the signing, especially if he can upgrade/ignite the special teams. i say keep tryon and torrence both. cut alexander when betts returns and put kelly on i-r before the dallas game if that knee isn't 100%.

Posted by: gregskins | November 7, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

HORRIBLE news! Meangelo is a CANCER.

say goodbye to any team chemistry

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | November 7, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

---

If the team chemistry can be ruined by one guy who has NOT had the history of a T.O. type player; then I don't think they had team chemestry at all.

Posted by: rickmort | November 7, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go ahead and exit stage left now, but for all the fans of other teams who come here to drop off poop and run and those fairweather pessimistic so-called Skins fans, please read and understand the following:

THE MAJORITY OF US TRUE FOOTBALL(KNOWLEDGEABLE) AND REDSKINS FANS ARE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH THIS SIGNING, KNOW THE POSSIBLE PROS AND CONS OF IT, AND WILL RALLY AROUND OUR TEAM IN THE UPCOMING PLAYOFF RUN.

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY TO DILUTE THE BEAUTY AND INTELLIGENCE OF THIS MOVE BY THE FO AND COACHING STAFF. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD: YOU CAN STATE YOUR OPINION(THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF AMERICA), BUT YOU WILL NOT AGITATE OUR UNITY OR CONVINCE US THAT THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE!!

YOU CAN TRY, BUT AS CLEARLY STATED ABOVE: IT WILL NOT WORK. :) ENJOY!!

Posted by: jparish | November 7, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hall is trouble. Ask the people in Atlanta.

Posted by: pilarcik2 | November 7, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Like a hundred posts about the signing of a CB who couldn't play for the RAIDERS???? Get a life! Please!

Posted by: Bardejovbob | November 7, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Would just like to say: he cannot wear the number 21 jersey... other than that, nice to get people for free instead of draft picks. thanks al davis, you senile old man.

Posted by: moo21 | November 7, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. A lot of people are real excited about signing a guy who was just cut because of playing poorly. Hall was getting burned this season. It is not a "system" thing when can't cover your man. It is a "skills" thing.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | November 7, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

According to data compiled by STATS LLC, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards on 66 passes - more yards against than any defender this season.

Posted by: steve29 | November 7, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hall is still a good corner and return man. He had a lot of balls thrown his way because people don't throw at Nnamdi Asomugha and he got beat a lot because he was playing in a new system. He got cut because Al Davis paid too much up front and got buyer's remorse. The Raiders realized they needed the money they paid Hall to re-sign Asomugha, who may not re-sign because they cut Hall - a move which he and a lot of other Raiders players didn't agree with. This is a good move. It's either a short-term rental at little cost or potentially book end (who can catch) to Rogers. Two thumbs up.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 7, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. The Skins signed a guy who sold himself as a "cover man" who has been burned for what equates to 6 football fields according STATS LLC. This guy is a fake; He perpetrate what he wasn't and now is being taken by a team that already has a shaky corner (Smoots). Hall was exposed in Oak-town for not being able to cover anyone one-on-one. This is a set back for a franchise that is doing well this season in a tough division.

Posted by: 40acres | November 7, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I like the signing, espoecially for the vet minimum. He is young and has ball skills. My question is if you move Springs to free safety, that implies putting Horton in a reserve role...I, for one, want that kid on the field ..He is instinctive and physical.

Where do you play Hall?? Does Springs start at one corner with Rogers at the other with Smoot and Hall playing the 3rd and 4th spots? Nice depth though.

Posted by: gallrick | November 7, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

hscskins wrote:
"Very bad acquisition. Hall is one of a long line of classless me-first Hokies. Bad move for our beloved skins."

So they use him for one year and then get rid of him.

Posted by: ahashburn | November 7, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not too excited. He was out in Atlanta because of attitude problems, and when I've seen the Raiders this year, he's been getting torched. No doubt he has skills, I just hope being with a winner, around guys like Shawn Springs and London Fletcher, and playing for coaches like Greg Blache and Jerry Gray will make the attitude change he desperately needs. I definitely think he's worth a ten game tryout, though. (That's seven more in the regular season, a first-round bye, two playoff games and the Super Bowl for those who are counting. :-) )

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | November 7, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

What steve said just bears to be repeated, AGAIN:

In his eight games in Oakland, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards
on 66 passes thrown his way, according to data compiled by STATS.
He gave up more yards than any defender this season and was tied for
third worst in catches allowed.

Posted by: VamosUnited | November 7, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Great...MeAngelo...just what we need.

Posted by: lwb1071 | November 7, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I would cut Torrence. Problem solved.

Posted by: Zornography | November 7, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Question: Can this guy still return punts? I seem to recall him doing that in Atlanta

Posted by: bubba13 | November 7, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it ... you're the Redskins ... nothing good can come of this

Posted by: Eaglegreen

Since we beat you guys there is nothing really you can say at this point.

JM220

Posted by: jparish

24 year old two time Pro Bowler..Offered roughly the same amount by three other teams but chose Skins cuz long term deal near his home area in the works....Yeah, I don't get the Eagles , they got that fairly new big stadium that generates mad revenue And theyre always miles under the salary cap..Somebody in the skyboxes must be rakin'..Like them for "Going Green" environmentally-correct, though... And the stadium next to 95 hyperspace is like the RFK site, you can hit it and get it..

Posted by: frak | November 7, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Great move - the Raiders lost our gain! We just picked up bargain for the rest of the year...maybe CR will not drop intercepts now!

Posted by: MorganMortgage | November 7, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

How could this be a bad move. 1) He is a corner that plays 5-8 yards off the line. Thats what we do. Oakland plays press coverage, which isn't his game. 2) He cost us nothing. A measly investment of a half million. He is close to home where he wants to be. If he acts the fool then he will be cut and didn't cost us any picks or players. He is only 25 years old. A lot of ifs with this guy but how many ballers are available for free?

Posted by: tommy11599 | November 7, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

if Hall keeps his (rumored) attitude in check, and play like he can, we'll be good to go...Springs = always injured and aging...

Posted by: criscila | November 7, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Like the move!I think dallas need a cb bad and we take him out of there hands.Dallas thinks with them getting Romo back that they will be able to get there passing game back, this move will help stop the dallas wr's and now you can move springs to S and have him cover Wittin.This move will work better for Washington then Pacman did for Dallas!!!!!

Posted by: srkleckner | November 7, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Overall I like this signing. Remember, he is only getting a pro-rated portion of the 1 million dollar contract. Here are the things I like about it:

1) Dallas doesn't get him when they really could use DB help

2) Punt return potential

3) Bolsters the depth at DB. I would consider him 4th on the depth chart.

Posted by: BSVA | November 7, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Cool move!! May I suggest an even better move! Put JC to third string QB and put Colt Brennan to 1st. Then we will score plenty points and go to the superbowl. Colt is the best QB in the NFL.

Posted by: surfum1 | November 7, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

HALL PICKED REDSKINS OVER PATRIOTS AND STEELERS (FROM Adam Schecter Blog)

What’s just as notable as the team cornerback DeAngelo Hall chose are the ones he didn’t.

Hall heard from Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, each of whom tried to persuade the former Raiders cornerback to sign with his respective team.

(Random question: If Hall was such a bad influence, why did two of the most respected defensive-minded head coaches in the game pursue him the way they did?)

Ultimately, the Redskins offered something no other team could: the chance to play in his backyard.

Hall is from Virginia and played college football at Virginia Tech. The Redskins asked Hall, “Why’d you pick Virginia Tech when you could have gone to any school in the country?”

And Hall told them because he wanted to be close to home. Now, after agreeing to a one-year, pro-rated $1 million deal with the Redskins that will pay him $492,000 for finishing the season in Washington, Hall will be close to home.

He is scheduled to arrive in Washington on Friday night, undergo a physical then and sign his contract.

The Redskins also promised Hall they would not slap their franchise tag on him after this season but, with their tight salary-cap situation in 2009, they could not afford to do that anyway. Still, the two sides already have discussed the possibility of signing a long-term agreement and if the engagement works out, the marriage always could be consummated.

But for now, the Redskins are happy to have Hall to help them make their playoff push.

Posted by: tommy11599 | November 7, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

That confirms it. DeAngelo Hall is officially a bum. Vinny Cerato couldn't pick his nose right.

Posted by: vigilante1 | November 7, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

The Washington (deadskins) always want to go out and pick-up a bunch of "has beens"... I mean really, take note from the NY GIANTS... "WE" draft and build on "OUR" draft picks... this is why we are THE DEFENDING SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS... FIRST IN THE NFC EAST, REPEAT CHAMPIONS, and is going to beat the deadskins down again when we meet.

To bad we can't eat them for Thanksgiving, but oh well... a few days later, they should still be turkeys ready to be roasted. "GO G-MEN!!"

Posted by: mrblkamerika | November 7, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, guys. I hoped they would stay away from him. I'm down here in the ATL where Hall has been a me-first showboat for too long. The new regime, headed by Mike SMith who has proven to be a very saavy, stable guy, didn't want anything to do with him. He has played very well in his career but lately...think Vernon Dean.

The only upside is that maybe he's been humbled now by getting dumped and will be on contract year good behavior.
Just as long as he doesn't start wearing Free Mike Vick shirts under his jersey. I tell you, this guy brings drama...

Posted by: NCKW | November 7, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a great move by the Skins. T.O has a history of burning D.Hall when he played in Atlanta. The last time he played against him. He burnt him and then spat on him. Shame on T.O Wonder what he will do since he now plays for the skins.LoL Go Cowboys!!!!!!!

Posted by: kyarber | November 7, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I'm not seeing a downside. Springs can play some safety (where he's needed anyway) so if Hall doesn't work out, Shawn goes back to CB. They got him for the single year, with no lost draft choices.

And he turns 25 in a couple weeks. This is not a guy on the downside of his career.

If he turns it around, Vinny's a genius. If he doesn't, what are they out? Nada.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 7, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

wonder if deangelo owns any dogs

Posted by: tbonies | November 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

This sucks. Throw money down the drain. Bring in a bad seed. Screw the defensive chemistry. Maybe the most egregious thing about the NFL is the ownership arrangement the Packers have is the exception and it's banned. Otherwise, we could boot out the stupidity that's corrupted the Skins for over 10 years. Genius. You get the best, big-named, over-priced QB, WR, DB, RB, TE, LB in the league. All star cast. Give me the best OL and DL. We'll beat you by halftime. You don't win with premadonna second-rate players; and you're not dominant enough on both sides of the ball to be picking an over-priced role player, because he sure doesn't warrant a starter position. Hall is fast, but he can't cover. He sucked in Oakland and he'll suck here--just in time--as the secondary had revived the careers of several struggling players, so now that chemistry is all lost. This sucks.

Posted by: kl3cb | November 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: surfum1 | November 7, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

You have a great sense of humor there....

Posted by: signicolls_03 | November 7, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hall sounds like he may be struggling with some personal issues, and the one year deal means the Skins think so too. Hope the kid can get it together, he certainly has the potential to be a great CB. Timing could work too with Springs injured frequently, and with Springs and Smoot both getting older. Here's hoping.

Posted by: bfjam | November 7, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

JAYZUZ, get yer b*tch on one time!! Do you hear voices?? All you NFC East Skins haters are going to be TALKIN'TO THE EARTH within the next few weeks, when you come to get your Dealey Plaza headshots...Trash it up while you can, apoca-lips..

Posted by: frak | November 7, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

SAY it ain't so......

we don't NEED poison in the locker room!

then again, maybe it'll give Z-ray someone to yell at on the sideline....

Posted by: mdrockjock | November 7, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

He wanted to play close to home? Where is home for him? VA Tech is like a six-hour drive from here. You can fly to California in that time.

Posted by: woody2471 | November 7, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse