Skins Look to Add Picks on Day 2

There's another day of drafting to be done Sunday and the Redskins will be busier. They have four selections, with executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato hoping to add more. Washington had one pick Saturday, taking Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo 13th overall, in the draft's first two rounds.

"I'd like to add a couple more picks," Cerrato said, "and on the second day a lot of times it's not that hard to like back up in the fifth [round] and get another [fifth-round pick] or [sixth-round pick] or something."

Cerrato said it becomes more difficult to draft for a particular need as the draft progresses, but the team could still use depth at right tackle and guard, center, corner and linebacker. The team has shown interest in local players like corner Greg Toler (St. Paul's college) and Maryland center Edwin Williams.

The Redskins' picks are No. 80 overall (third round), 150 (fifth round), 186 (sixth round), and 243 (seventh round).

By Cindy Boren  |  April 25, 2009; 9:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Orakpo Plan: 'He's Going to Play'
Next: Skins Trying Like Crazy To Trade Down

Comments

first?

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 25, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Periculum reminds me of Jeffrey Dahmer
Posted by: toohoes | April 25, 2009

Someone who calls himself two courtesans, comparing me with Dahmer? Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the biggest nutcase and a boring cow. toohoes.

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused - aside from corner, every position listed apparently is "deep" in this years draft. Therefore how does it become more difficult to draft for need in the later rounds, especially when it's more of a crapshoot?

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | April 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Can I be first?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 25, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

The Giants get Beatty.

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess not!

Listened to JAX Sports radio today while driving around Daytona Beach. They were saying that the Jags had a contingency trade ready with the Skins at #7 if Sanchex was on the board.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 25, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is basically saying now that its the later rounds he will draft the best athlete available and avoid drafting for need. And when they finish close to the basement next year, he and his contingent, along with Zorn, Campbell, et all will be sent packing. I doubt that Snyder will put up with much more from Vinny. He is worst than Mendes and Casserly. Much, much worst. But still better than Snyder himself.

Posted by: periculum | April 25, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the Jets got hosed by the Browns for Sanchez ... so I don't feel so bad for The Owner not getting his guy. But I feel TREMENDOUS that someone other than the Skins got him.

Seems like there are tons of good OLs left. My next choices would be this Duke Robinson fella (who I can't see lasting past the Steelers for their Faneca hole) or the Tropog guy from Tulane.

Also, adding picks on the second day/late rounds sits well with me ... in Marocco I trust.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will sign Toler as a FA unless he is drafted elsewhere.

Good to see the 'Pokes get aced out of all their players at WR and S and had to go to plan D and trade their pick to Buffalo. Sweet.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see them get a corner with some size...

Also, I think by picking up Dockery they fill a big hole...I think some underestimate that FA move.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 25, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Assume Colt next year. Damage may be way too severe to repair the Campbell situation. The need for strong young OL grows as a result.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Naturally the Giants whose OL is already strong know to take a good OT when he is available.
They are light years ahead of us in the FO.

By the way, whoever posted to trade ARE for 2nd rounder is sadly naive.

Skins couldn't trade ARE for a 3rd rounder probably. And all that money he is making makes him so overpaid! Even harder to trade.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 25, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The Broncos are about to make their fifth pick within the first two rounds. I guess that is the definition of rebuilding. Still, that's alot of expensive rookie hazing during camp.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Why would the Skins need Sanchez when they have Colt Brennan?

Jason will run to Chris Samuels and cry on his shoulder again, and Chris will give him a big bear hug and a fist bump.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 25, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | April 25, 2009

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

If they take Duke Robinson it will make a lot of people on the offensive side of the ball very happy. But they still need to draft a left tackle and a center. When? When? Its already too late now?

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Right now, Skins only have one functioning guard on the roster. Dockery. Rinehart couldn't get on the field. Kendall won't re-sign. Thomas' neck is cracked.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 25, 2009

Sheesh the naive come out in droves for draft day. Dude, they are now going to have to trade Campbell and he is going to have a breakout year with his new team. And he will take extra special delight in demolishing his ex-team when he can.

You will see Colt, but you will also see them become the Nats, losing a lot more than winning. Hope you enjoy it!

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't is suck to be....
Rey Maualuga: unspellable name, wakes up thinking he might go #6, ends up #6 in the second round.
And will be living in Cincinnati.
I mean, c'mon. Wow. You can't even leave things in your locker there.

Posted by: daggar | April 25, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009

Agreed, Robinson is an excellent choice at this point. The problem is Vinny the master of disaster says he can no longer draft for need in the later rounds. What does that mean?

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa

The NFL Network was reporting early in the draft today that the Jags were going to trade with the Jets (not the Skins) if the player the Jets wanted was still available at #8. But I guess the Jets did not want to risk waiting that long.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

You can't even leave things in your locker there.

Posted by: daggar | April 25, 2009 10:02 PM

That's why you leave your unspellable last name in your locker there.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame the Skins didn't have more picks on day one. I bet it kind of stung when Miami got to pick in the second round with Washington's pick. I wonder if that was a "genius moment" for Cerrato. Now he's talking about trading down for more picks. Is this because he has no faith in his draft board and so he's trying to play the odds? I shouldn't complain, however. We got Orakpo by standing pat and that's better than selling the farm like the Jets did to get Sanchez.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Geeze jason, way to pee on my parade. Can we hear the positives about the man now. I'm a staunch defender but if you are going to tell us his limitations tell us his positive attributes as well.

Posted by: Gweez | April 25, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

lerici, it means the smoke machine is still working.

So Lions have been on the clock for a while now. Are we done for the night then?

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

If he had an F, or a Q, or something that might work in Scrabble, he would have to take his nameplate with him.
As it is, I wonder what the Vegas line is on what he'll get arrested for.

Posted by: daggar | April 25, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm - 4th Round, Raleigh Mckenzie - 11th Round, Mark Schlereth - 10th round, Monte Coleman - 11th Round, Joe Jacoby - Undrafted, Jeff Bostic - Undrafted.

Please dont tell me that there is no talent in later rounds.

Posted by: dbeins | April 25, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Can the Lions sign their next pick overnight?

Posted by: daggar | April 25, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Lets be clear. Redskins would have drafted Sanchez IF the Jets did not price them out of the market. I think the FO did a good job by deciding how much they would give, and sticking to their guns when the cost became to much to bear.

Orakpo at 13 is a great pick.

There will be very good players available at 79 tomorrow, and there will be enough of them I think that Vinny can move back and still get some of the guys they are targeting. Love to move back a few spots and pick up a 4th rounder in the bargain.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

... I bet it kind of stung when Miami got to pick in the second round with Washington's pick. ...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 25, 2009 10:04 PM

Except after the Fins used it. Pat White. Vinny said "Ha! We don't need HIM! We already got Randel El!" [Before someone reminded him that the Skins could have picked someone else.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

One last thing: How many of the guys picked tomorrow are going to replace the guys drafted last year that didn't pan out?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 25, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Please dont tell me that there is no talent in later rounds.

Posted by: dbeins | April 25, 2009 10:07 PM

That was before free agency.

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 25, 2009 10:11 PM

I gotta think that their good at CB, frankly the secondary, but it would be good if they either drafted a free safety or Kareem Moore stepped up to it. LaRon really should be a SS and Horton is the nickel guy (Prioleau's old gig).

Posted by: dcsween | April 25, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the Redskins don't have a 6'6 340 lb G on the roster.

Crummey was signed away from the P Squad by Cincy last year, right BEFORE the run of injuries on the Oline.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Skins get Macho (Corner from VT). He is big and physical.

I'd also like to see them get a guard or tackle and a linebacker.

Posted by: DownTownClown | April 25, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Skins get Macho (Corner from VT). He is big and physical.

I'd also like to see them get a guard or tackle and a linebacker.

Posted by: DownTownClown | April 25, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

ya hopefully can get quality picks by trading down and target a guy like macho to play the nickel position and possibly get caldwell and/or robinson...

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 25, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

There is talent in the later rounds. The problem is you have to identify it requires skill and luck. In order to offset the limits of both you need multiple picks.

This is where you trade a pick from next year (like a second) to get more picks this year in the lower rounds. Or a player or two. They need multiple offensive line prospects. Not just one. They could really use a Ramsese Barden. Worth jumping up to get him. But they desperately need a Duke Robinson as well. So, with 2 or 3 higher 3rd rounders perhaps they could get lucky?

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

DTC, i like getting a C/FS and an LB, but would prefer a C/G to a T. When I say C/G I mean a C, who if he can play guard, that is a bonus.

At this juncture, I see the most glaring need on the roster as a viable back up to Rabach. Hopefully a very intelligent, blue collar, high character guy. Not sure who that guy is, but I bet he is out there. I hope we can find him tomorrow.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

also look out for barden as mentioned above and robert francois (LB from BC) and that OL from USC..cant remember his name rite now

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 25, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Is Rhinehart a wash at guard?? Yet to be determined..But, it sounds like the WRs and Davis might work out after all..That would be huge...Need the RT upgrade..

Posted by: frak | April 25, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 25, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

***Outside Linebacker from USC

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 25, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Lots of talent at need positions still on the board

Jerome Meridith (OT)

DJ Moore (CB)

Posted by: TWISI | April 25, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009

Caldwell.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:23 PM

Rabach, really? The one guy on the line with no injuries last year (or arthritis)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I understand that we need a backup for Rabach because all we have for that is Jansen but if we're going backups I gotta go for a guard. No one seems to have any faith in Rinehardt. Do we still have Geisinger? I don't know, we need it all on the Oline. Hard to choose which we need most.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Best possible outcome for the Skins on Day 1. They don't mess up Campbell and Zorn by getting Sanchez and then the best possible defensive guy is available to them at #13. I think the skins "D" will hopefully be both more creative and even more effective next year. With Haynesworth, Carter and Orakpo coming on passing downs, I think our D Backs will be even better. Now we just have to hope and pray for three things on the "O" side of the ball: 1) Campbell does WAY better in year 2 of the Zorn system, 2) Thomas and Kelly step up big time in year 2, and 3) we get a good/great OT with the third round pick.

Posted by: dlenehan | April 25, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Vinny, I am going to have to assume that Orapko could end up being a flop ... hopefully not a complete one but he could very well end up being a solely used as a situational player. Not his pick, its likely the owner's.

You absolutely have to be successful in the later rounds as a result in order to win and keep your job. Getting more picks makes sense. Culling through them and finding the right guys to make your team better that is going to be harder.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Did Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond) get picked?

Seems like Day 2 will belong to the Cowboys.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 25, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, there are lots of big young O'linemen on the roster...but ONLY 1 Center. Rabach is the man right there, but I say again, we NEED a viable back up for him. Jansen seems more emergency than viable, but that is JMO.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

ya the skins really should load up on picks this year and grab talent from various positions...

ARE
Thrash
Thomas 77
Jansen
Carter
Griffin
Wynn
Daniels
Smoot
Rabach and Fletcher are maybes

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 25, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

There is a solid crop of players that are available in the 3rd round that could easily make a difference on this team, look for Duke Robinson, Marcus Freeman, Michael Johnson, or Kraig Urbik if they're not taken already

Posted by: AaronB1790 | April 25, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

next year seems to be a huge cut year for the skins...below are the players i think will be gone after the 09 season.

You have to look at salary cap implications before making such a list. You can lose more than you gain by releasing a player. That's what can make it difficult relative to trades.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 10:58 PM

Won't matter if there's no cap.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Thrash should be gone this year.

Agree that ARE and Jansen will be gone next year.

I think Fletcher and Griffith will stick around.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Seems like Day 2 will belong to the Cowboys.
Posted by: Lisa_R | April 25, 2009

Depressing isn't it? Although Jerry Jones purportedly will do the choosing on Day 2. Could be an advantage.

The other teams improve while the Skins age, injuries, and owner's faux pas cause the Skins physicality and chemistry to erode. Not good. I guess its like someone here said, have to pretend we are a Redsox fan with the Yawkey's in charge ... or the B-more Colt's with Irsay.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Won't matter if there's no cap.
Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009

They've started negotiations. For the new 18 game season to work they can't have any possibility of a strike. There will be a new salary cap.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Thrash should be gone this year.

Agree that ARE and Jansen will be gone next year.

I think Fletcher and Griffith will stick around.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 11:01 PM

It's actually Griffin but I agree on Fletcher, not so much Griffin. I think Carter will still be here. I think Rbach will be here too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Best possibles for this are now gone. Mack and Unger can play any position on the line plus center. They are now gone. Now you have to draft a separate center, tackle, guard. That's the price you pay for trading away all of your draft picks.

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Periculum, don't do anything drastic..We all remember and loved you as Serf..Lets go catch a buzz..

Posted by: frak | April 25, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 10:09 PM

Don't know if the Jests overpaid for the San man. Anybody who wanted the Browns 5 was going to have to give up more than a 2nd round pick to trade up that high, from 17 to 5. The Jets included several players in the swap, none of whom I am familiar with except for Ratslaff, who is just a body. If the rest are also just bodies, then they came out ahead. After Seattle passed on Sanchez, the Jets had only one serious worry, the Skins, and it looks from all appearances that the Skins didn't try to bid against them so they got Sanchez on the cheap, so to speak. What a hoot - after all that splashy public courting of Sanchez, the Skins pulled up stakes and left town when it came time to talk turkey.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 25, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lerici | April 25, 2009 11:05 PM |

From what i hear the players don't want a longer season. If that's true then the possibility of a strike means nothing to the players.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

You can't draft more than one guy with each pick. Drafing a number 6 overall guy with the 13 in a position of need is a steal and a no brainer.

I still think the JT55 move was the correct move at the time it went down under the circumstances the deal was done. Caca occasionally occurs, and it did for JT and us last year.

I was LOUDLY clamoring for a tradeback from 13 to add a pick and get Mack, but I certainly would also have instantly drafted Orakpo at 13. My tradeback scenario did not account for him falling into our laps.

There will be good players available tomorrow. Multiple good players.

I'm out, off to poker. 'Ta Manana.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 25, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I heard Zorn talking that the Skins had just picked up a FA back-up tackle that they think is high quality. They said he used to play in the Niffle and Canada, but had taken a year off, but that he was good.

Has anyone seen anything on this guy, he was a recent signing after "hunter the punter"?

Posted by: DownTownClown | April 25, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Franchised player Leroy Hill from Seattle was just released from the tag and is now free to sign with anyone. He is a SLB and just what we need..This would be a great signing..Zorn should know all about him..

Posted by: Dkessler1 | April 25, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Max Unger center-guard-takle was taken in the mid 2nd round. We could have traded up for him. He is a true HOG!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | April 25, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

JLC you are such a fat ass.

Posted by: rskinz34 | April 25, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Vinny-LOOK:
KR/CB Michael Ray Garvin (5-8, 174) created a buzz by running the fastest 40 time (4.24) so far this draft season. Garvin is a world-class sprinter and possesses amazing top-end speed as a kick returner. This type of speed is rare, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see his name come off the board toward the end of the draft as a KR/PR specialist. Florida State

Posted by: KurtShanaman | April 25, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

O.K. MARCUS FREEMAN LB #3, CORNELIUS LEWIS OG #5, OT? #6, and GREG TOLER CB comp #7, with CECIL NEWTON C FA.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 25, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

DownTownClown, I think Zorn was referring to RT Mike Williams. JLC reported this yesterday.

Dude was a 4th overall pick in 2002, but hasn't played since 2006. He could be awesome or he could be the second coming of an OL version of Erasmus James...

Posted by: Alan4 | April 25, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dkessler1 |

Where did you see this. If this is true, I think the skins should move quickly to sign him. That would leave nickle CB as the only position of need on the D.

Posted by: TWISI | April 25, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

dont really know about leroy hill...only 6'1 238 lbs...kinda small for SLB, specially playin in the NFC Beast

seems to be physically better suited to be a WLB

positive tho...hes only 26 years old

Posted by: AhsanFamily | April 26, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

i really like the pick we got if you compare orakpo and oher its not even close. orakpo is top five talent and at 13 that is a great steal even tho we need some o-linemen but we did sign mike williams former first rounder in 02 so maybe he might work out you never know.

Posted by: skinsst21 | April 26, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Not many teams can be two deep at every position on the o-line. I don't know enough about interior lineman to make any real claims, but it seems like absolute depth on the O-line is hard to accomplish in today's game with the cap and other needs. Anyway, our need for another DE was a big one and you can't pass on a talent like Orakpo falling into our laps.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Taylor might not have panned out last year, but at the time we really needed to do it.

Haynesworth, Carter, and Orakpo = Pass rush!

If we couldnt get Sanchez then Orakpo was definitely the next best thing that could have happened for us. I'm ecstatic. Also, we can't be too quick to call last year's group of receivers busts. Receivers always take a few years to develop and I blame a lot of their lack of knowledge on Zorn. He is just not a good teacher other than the QB position and I really don't think he has the aptitude to be a successful coach in this league. Everyone blames snyder, vinny, JC, etc. How does Zorn get a pass? We had the worst passing offense in football and that was supposed to be his specialty.

2010 = Cowher or Gruden!!!

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | April 26, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

A Zorn quote from NFL.com -

"Things were a little bit of a roller-coaster with the whole situation, through the media, through real or unreal situations with Cutler and the stuff about Mark Sanchez as well," Zorn said. "I just feel like we stayed true to what we were planning and didn't try to ride it with everybody else."

You guys did everything you could to get Jay Cutler...

You guys asked about moving up to get Sanchez...

The only thing "unreal" about the whole scenario is the brass trying to play things off like they've actually been supportive of Campbell this whole time.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

seems to be physically better suited to be a WLB

positive tho...hes only 26 years old

Posted by: AhsanFamily
__________________________

Definitely too small for SLB.

Posted by: chasgiffen | April 26, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Pat White with the 44th pick?

So much for "Parcells is a genius."

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Sometimes I think the monumental arrogance of deluded posters like Mr.redskin is what makes this board so danged entertaining.

I just pray God Parcells doesnt read this. it would no doubt hurt his feelings to learn this guy doesn't think he's a "genius."

Posted by: TheCork | April 26, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Please dont tell me that there is no talent in later rounds.

Posted by: dbeins

Okay. But I WILL tell you there is no Bethherd around to pick it.

Posted by: TheCork | April 26, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Love this pick! Deion just interviewed Orakpo on the NFL Network and he said he was hoping the Skins would draft him....said he loved the area, loved the coaches, and was thrilled.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 25, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Geez what you expect the guy to say? LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | April 26, 2009 3:28 AM | Report abuse

Been working all day finally got in here to read and as i ffigured I'd find...people on here STILL bashing bashing bashing....

Some on here exopect everything to be perfect ...and in no way will you EVER get that form ANY football team...I think the Skins did great today with the pick...but as predictable as can be ...many on here are NEVER HAPPY! Some of you are not Redskin fans as you claim...your complaining little whiners who complain about every single move they make....

IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE FO OR THE COACH OR CERTAIN PLAYERS>>>>PULL FOR ANOTHER TEAM OR SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!

Posted by: leevi98 | April 26, 2009 3:34 AM | Report abuse

"Kendall was the only guard who lasted the entire year. He had his knee problems but he did make it somehow. You replace a Kendall with Dockery reversing what happened 2 years before. Tell me how that improves things? You still have no backups, no right tackle, a left tackle that should move right for a younger replacement in order to extend his career. A center who should be replaced soon, yet has no backup. Explain how all of this works with the oldest offensive line in the NFL?
Posted by: leric"

Well, I’ll take a stab at it:

Kendall’s knee problems are chronic. Dockery’s seven years younger. Kendall's versatility and toughness could make him a solid backup, if he’s interested. Shifting Samuels right isn’t really a smart move. Rabach doesn’t need replacing at this time.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 4:05 AM | Report abuse

well pfunk, they have to spin it that way now. I mean, you don't want to insult a kid's intelligence, but you need to let him know you're behind him. Frankly, what didn't happen (but almost did/could've) doesn't really matter. All that is relevant is that JC is the man. Run with it, 17. I believe you can do it.

p.s. step up Heyer/Jansen. Kelly will be a beast this year if JC is given decent protection

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | April 26, 2009 4:15 AM | Report abuse

"You can't draft more than one guy with each pick."

Darn.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 4:18 AM | Report abuse

"Kelly will be a beast this year if JC is given decent protection
Posted by: Notorious_LMG"

Kelly's problem is his health.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 4:20 AM | Report abuse

2010 = Cowher or Gruden!!!

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | April 26, 2009 12:48 AM

There are a lot of active ex coaches out there with SB rings - Cowher, Billchick, Gruden, Shanahan, etc. Dungy and Holmgren are probably in the retired group - Parcells, Johnson, Gibbs, etc. All of them except for Cowher were fired out of their last jobs and their SB years are distant memories, which means they are on downward arcs, never a good sign if the new coach is expected to take his team to new heights. That leaves Cowher. He left coaching after winning the 2005 SB and the Steeler team that won the 2008 SB is essentially the one he built. If Cowher were to coach again, he would want guaranteed control and autonomy, something a lot of owners are reluctant to hand over, especially if previously they have been directly involved in managing the team.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 26, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

2010 = Cowher or Gruden!!!

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | April 26, 2009 12:48 AM

Posted by: AntonChigurh | April 26, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs was fired? I think your wrong bout that :)

Posted by: leevi98 | April 26, 2009 5:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Periculum, just f*ckin' kill yourself, take your useless wheelchair detritus down to the dock , and roll your sorry serf a** into the drink and take a nap..

Posted by: frak | April 26, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | April 26, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

tj lang
d.robinson
l.vazquez
j.gilbert
k.urbik

one of these 5

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 26, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Beantown good list of offensive players. Some defensive players that still pretty good.Marcus Freeeman, Michael Johnson, DJ Moore and Lawrence Sidbury.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

I am with you on Kendall vs Dockery. I think the Skins upgraded there if for no other reason than you get a guy who can practice all week which promotes continuity and teamwork. As for Rabach, I think he's a good but not great center. He gets manhandled by nose tackles. I was hoping the Redskins would find a versatile, bigger player who could do reserve duty at both guard and center until ready to take Rabach's spot. I think this was the intent with Geisinger last year, but the team seems to have soured on him. Remember, they also experimented with Jansen at center for a little while early in the preseason, trying to get more bulk in the middle. I've heard they are interested in Edwin Williams - center out of Maryland - but he actually suffers from some of the same problems Rabach has with bigger defenders.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 26, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's how I think the whole JC thing went...

It's hard for me to believe that Jim Zorn did not approach ownership or was not a part of a decision to seek another QB. He stuck close to JC through the process to reassure him that anyone brought in would be a backup or would have to compete for the job.

I think there are still questions about Campbell and I agree not to extend him, even if it may cost you more next year. All of this "JC is a nice guy...a class act" is a all well and good, but he needs to produce on the field and take that next step, and I don't begrudge the FO for having questions either.

Also...I didn't hear too may Skins verbally come to Campbell's defense nor were teams clamoring to get him.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 26, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I like Louis Vasquez a lot but he will be available with our 5th rounder most likely.

I think Duke Robinson has to be the pick with our third, I don't think we should trade back, there's gonna be a drop in quality going from mid-4th to the 5th round.

and is Beatty still available? I think he is. I hate to say it, but it might be worth looking into trading next year's 2nd for 2 thirds if possible. Then get Duke Robinson, Betty, and another OL prospect or a LB prospect. There's still that Herzlith guy available from Boston College, but he might be a MLB, I'm not sure. Still plenty of talent available, and I mean either starting or potential starting talent in the 3rd. I think trading next year's 2 for a couple 3's might be a good move, there's just more depth in this draft than usual.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 26, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't like the pick. And I see alot of posters like the pick who didn't like the MK12 pick AND they both had knee problems in college......

Going forward, I will support dude and wish him the best and hope he proves his naysayers (me) wrong.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

On a side note, JLaC wanted Orakpo or Oher. The NFL Editor wanted Orakpo.

So, we get Orakpo and the writers start bashing over his head right away.....

That's not going to increase anyone's revenue....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

There is a lot of talent still left on the board, i see a bunch of guys we were talking about trading back to late 1st and picking up

Michael Johnson DE- if we took him we would have to very athletic ends and a replacement plan in place for Carter, and would allow Orakpo to focus on learning 1 position, SLB

DJ Moore CB- He doesnt have great deep coverage speed but great instincts, hes a "quick twitch athlete" and pretty well built at 5-9 190 so he could be the slot cornerback

Jamon Meredith OT- He's a stout guy at 6-3 308 and has pretty good lateral mobility and a good skill set which Buges can groom into a longtim starter at RT, can swing over too the left in a pinch as well

Duke Robinson, Tyrrone Green- both of these guys are in the top tier of guards in this draft and we should jump on either one of them

TJ Lang OT- He's a mauling run blocker and an adequate pass blocker, but will get alot better as technique improves, he converted from DT 2 years ago a good pick as he would do better than Heyer or Jansen and would develop into a pretty good player

We would do well to pick any of these guys up, we should think about trading up and taking 2 in the 3rd because there are alot of 2nd round grades still out there

Posted by: DaFunBunch | April 26, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

You guys did everything you could to get Jay Cutler...

You guys asked about moving up to get Sanchez...

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2009 1:10 AM

Yeah, but so did a lot of other teams. Half the league inquired about Cutty. We were the only ones who were leaked is the REAL problem.

Others were in play for Sanchez including Seattle and you don't Hasselback complaining....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | April 26, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Please dont tell me that there is no talent in later rounds.

Posted by: dbeins

Okay. But I WILL tell you there is no Bethherd around to pick it.

Posted by: TheCork

Count it!

Burn!

I can't stop laughing (and crying) at this...because it is so true.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | April 26, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

'I think the Jets got hosed by the Browns for Sanchez ...

No disrespect to your commentary, but let's drop speaking on Sanchez from now on.

Let's repeat a comment some of us have forgotten in the past two and a half months:

The most maturation of Jason Campbell is the most important subject facing the Washington Redskins. He should be given to best situation to prosper in. He should be allowed to quarterback the team without having to look over his shoulder.

The best thing coming out of draft day is that Jason Campbell remains our starting quarterback.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

'....Antoine Caldwell C- He's a good pass blocker and he finishes his blocks playing with mean streak...'

We hope he's there at #80.

He can play center and guard.

The guy is a killa.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

dcman: "Why would the Skins need Sanchez when they have Colt Brennan? I seriously doubt if the Skins will give JC a long term contract after this season."

Somehow I suspect Colt's fate is one that Skins backups have enjoyed in the first Joe Gibbs era: fair-haired darlings of preseason -- just pray they never actually have to face NY or Philadelphia in a regular season game. No QB looks good without his head.

Sanchez, on the other hand, looks fatally overhyped. Might be a fine QB in a year or so, but his own college coach insisted the guy wasn't ready for the NFL -- noisily, and in public, with the kid sitting right there.

As for Campbell's contract, that decision is entirely Danny-driven. If they get into the playoffs this year, Snyder will probably acquiesce. If they don't, both the QB and Zorn are probably gone.

Unless Dan meets somebody over dinner in Week Fourteen that he likes better. In which case both are kaput.

Dan's favorite QB and Coach: the next one.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"and is Beatty still available? I think he is."

Duke Robinson at 80...or Caldwell.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"What's the guy's name that plays both O-line and D-line? Is he still with the team?Maybe he needs to settle in at Guard only?"

That guy is Lorenzo Alexander, and last year he was moved to the D-line exclusively. So no, he can't move to guard. Actually, I would like to hear someone (Insiders, anyone?) talk about Alexander's place on the team with the upgrades at D-line this offseason.

Posted by: hithere1 | April 26, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I think the pundits were correct, this was definitely a draft in which you'd rather not be in the Top Ten. That first group was a blur. Stafford vs Sanchez? Tyson Jackson over Aaron Curry? Heyward-Bey before Michael Crabtree? A Big Smith or Gene Monroe?

And not a running or defensive back among them.

Probably Seattle has the surest shot with Aaron Curry, who I thought might slide the way Jerod Mayo had, but instead made it into the top five.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Vinnie didn't draft for need in the 1st round. He drafted for BOTH value AND need. What a gift. He's saying value only picks from now on. But sometimes fortune shines on the down-trodden. She certainly did with our #1. Maybe the SKINS pull off four more picks that have value AND need. Depends who's on the board when their time comes. The gamble is that the newest signee WILLIAMS is going to take over at right tackle and perform at an ALL-NFL level. Now THAT's a gamble!

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Dan's favorite QB and Coach: the next one.

Posted by: Samson151

Zorn will be jettisoned cargo if the Balrogs keep pouring through that OT hole..The building is on fire and the choppers keep crashing.."Vowkill" waits over the battlements..

Posted by: frak | April 26, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"He went to the Giants...along with Sintim and Nicks. I think they've quietly had the best draft out of the Beast, maybe the league as a whole.Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

A typical strong-team draft, wasn't it? Only one position of real need, the WR, so they get talented developmental players at others. I kept hearing in the NY media last year that they thought Pierce was starting to fade and they weren't happy with their blocking, so here they go and address it.

Strong, deep clubs have that advantage in the draft. So why is it so many of them seem to stumble anyway? Drop from the Super Bowl to a first round loss, or mix a 5-11 season in with a couple of 11-5s?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Jamon Meredith is an intriguing....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 26, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Jamon Meredith is an intriguing....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 26, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn will be jettisoned cargo if the Balrogs keep pouring through that OT hole....by: frak"

Sure. Or if Dan just likes somebody else better. You don't really think this is all related to performance, do you? THis is not Jack Cooke we're talking about --

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

there, I've said it, don't make me say it again.....oooopss.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 26, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Seahawks Pull Hill’s Franchise Tag
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 26, 2009, 9:02 a.m. EDT

Drafting Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry in the first round triggered an immediate ripple effect on the Seattle Seahawks’ roster.

According to Eric Williams of the Tacoma News-Tribune, the Seahawks have rescinded the franchise tag on linebacker Leroy Hill in a move that immediately frees up salary cap space and makes him an unrestricted free agent.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 26, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

other league executives were not as surprised Orakpo was still on the board when the Redskins were on the clock. Some wonder whether he will project to be an impact player, citing concerns about his knee injuries and ability to defend the run.

Wow just wow man. Every pre draft had this guy going with the top 10. Kiper said he is a top 6 pick. Once I would like to see a story from you without hate.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 26, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Orakpo wouldn't have been the Redskins' choice had Cerrato and owner Dan Snyder been able to move up enough to select Sanchez, whom Snyder grew infatuated with during the pre-draft process.

Cerrato acknowledged a pursuit of Sanchez, who went fifth to the New York Jets. The Jets traded their first- and second-round picks and three players to Cleveland to move up. The Redskins didn't have a second-round pick and nowhere near the young and inexpensive players attractive to Browns coach Eric Mangini, who coached the Jets the previous three years.
-Washington Times

Once again, thank you Jets!

Posted by: ga8085 | April 26, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"That guy is Lorenzo Alexander, and last year he was moved to the D-line exclusively. So no, he can't move to guard."

Unless 'they' change their minds. In which case it's Sweep Left on 2, Lo.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

ga8085: "The Redskins didn't have a second-round pick and nowhere near the young and inexpensive players attractive to Browns coach Eric Mangini, who coached the Jets the previous three years."

The most important part being that he knows each player well and can figure out exactly where they fit into his new team.

Firing Mangini was one of those inexplicable NFL FO moves that seem to happen more and more often.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

slimborice: "the Seahawks have rescinded the franchise tag on linebacker Leroy Hill in a move that immediately frees up salary cap space and makes him an unrestricted free agent."

Now that's a guy worth looking at, if you were with a team that needed LB help. Anybody know such a team?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

'...Jamon Meredith is an intriguing'

No, Burnett's collapse was what was intriguing. I shut the game off thinking he was rolling, then switched back sometime later and he was off the mound.

I guess that's why you watch baseball or any game in general: you can't believe in the expected and have to expect the unexpected.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

That's deep man.

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Hold up. When did the Skins sign Mike Williams?

----------------------------------------------

3. The ghosts of Mike Williams and other former Texas players had a major impact in the middle of the first round. Williams, the former No. 1 pick, was a huge bust in Buffalo. Despite that, the Bills spent $8 million a year for guard Derrick Dockery, another Texas product. He was released in the offseason. So the Bills decided not to take Texas linebacker Brian Orakpo at No. 11 because of the Texas Two-Step disaster. Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins said: "Come on down!" They drafted Orakpo and signed Dockery and Williams. The Redskins are hooked on the Longhorns.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 26, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 ****

Thanks for the name, couldn't remember it to save me.
Still, maybe he'd be serviceable as a guard now that the D-line has been fortified?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | April 26, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe PT Barnum Jr. is just so irritatingly a poor business man that we'll be condemned to his Circus Minimus for eternity..Maybe this is a circle of Hell we fans live in for our ignorant desires..BEERMAN!!

Posted by: frak | April 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

D-line looks awesome. ALEXANDER, MONTGOMERY, GOLSTON, GRIFFIN, HAYNESWORTH, ORAKPO, WYNN, DANIELS, CARTER.

D-SECONDARY not so much. Need a SS LB and a fourth CB to take TRYON's place.

Offense is set of course. No needs except maybe a back-up center. Take JOE MONTEVERDE LS as back-up C 6'5" 260. He can take the red snapper's place in a couple of years.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Antoine Caldwell. I shudder to think what would happen if CRay goes down. He played hurt to the detriment of the team half the season because there is literally no one who can cover him.

Posted by: Gweez | April 26, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

JM220 - I was against picking Orakpo for those stated reasons. And I 'thought' he would be a bust.

But nobody but MAyock, Casserly, and I were singing that tune BEFORE the draft.

I am all aboard now and hope he beast out and not bust out...

But, that is F'd up about those who was trumpeting Orakpo as a savior @ #13 for us in the media and are now bashing him after we get him by the same media heads......

That's what I would call journalistic inconsistencies of integrity.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that QB Brennan's name keeps coming up. Could it be that Jason will be tradebait in the near future??

Posted by: aspook | April 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

That's deep man.

Posted by: all_star_0013

I never liked Serf anyway, he had that annoying LA commercial voice and he'd crash into you with that wheelchair on the dancefloor..

Posted by: frak | April 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Got to agree with an earlier post, I wouldn't trade back at this point. They could still end up with a quality OL in the 3rd, and then pick up an OLB and more OT with the remaining picks.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

No trading back I don't think. We have cover at most positions and we need someone who can at least threaten to start at OLB or OL. Damon Meredeth or Antoine Caldwell are my hopes.

Posted by: Gweez | April 26, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

We need to go O-line, O-line, O-line.

With the addition of Robert Thomas, Orakpo and with the likes of Wilson on the roster (working out at SAM), can we please finally say that we have sufficient bodies to cover the loss of Marcus Washington?

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Good morning 4th. I hope all is well with you and your family. To me it shows no class by coming down on a guy you rated high because he went to the Skins. Hell say good pick and Vinny and Dan sucks. I can respect that not this bs that is coming out now.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Good summer morning to you as well.

That's what I don't get about journalisim. Do all reporters do this or just a select few?

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

-Washington Times

Once again, thank you Jets!

Posted by: ga8085

It's really funny to me how the Washington newspapers - both Post and Times can take this remark from Vinny (in response to going after Sanchez): "We made a few calls but the price was too high" into "We were going after Sanchez hellbent to leather but could not nab him." And this was in response to a reporters question: were you interested in moving up for Sanchez?

Vinny also said he was making calls for over an hour trying to move up to draft Orakpo - thinking he would be long gone before #13.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 26, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Sanchez, who started only 16 games in college, is not considered ready to perform at a high level in the NFL, many league talent evaluators believe, but the Redskins were highly interested in him."

Then I guess the Jets front office doesn't know what they're doing either huh Jason.

JM,
Jason's constant hate and shots at the front office are really ridiculous. Jason, get over your little feud with Vinny, it is really childish.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | April 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Guys, we all know that JLA is a bit of a sniveling pipsqueak...that's not news.

But our FO is more than deserving of any criticism, shots, insults...whatever. They just outright suck. Their plan (or lack thereof) for this franchise, their total botching of our QB situation - everyone knows they are a bunch of classless yahoos that are useful for 2 things in the NFL:
(1) driving up the prices of FAs
(2) getting fleeced for picks

I can't imagine how Danny got his hands on this franchise. I guess you really don't have to be intelligent to be a successful businessman...just a little lucky and persistent.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I hope Caldwell is there at #80

Posted by: rickyroge | April 26, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

People on the board get all wounded and upset when they feel reporters/posters/or anyone, offers up any criticism of the 'skins. Is it possible that some of you are just a little too soft to be football fans?

Posted by: mack1 | April 26, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

holy crap

they just showed this on ESPN. I've heard of the guy, Jarron Gilbert, but damn.

He went to uhh, Bears I think.

today is gonna be all-Cowgirl day

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 26, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

'...The Redskins are hooked on the Longhorns...'

Interesting point here.

Are University of Texas players worth the money as pros?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

sorry, he went to the Jets

Cowgirls draft some no-name LB Jason Williams from a directional school like Southwest Mississippi State North Campus or something

:D

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 26, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Cedric Benson went to Texas.

Bad example.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Are University of Texas players worth the money as pros?"

Dockery played well for us...

I don't believe in staying away from players based on where they went to school. Just wait and see what Everette Brown does for the Panthers...you could see in his eyes how angry he was about falling that far. Chips on shoulders are like diamonds to GM's.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Leroy Hill. Stats look good. But if Seattle originally "franchised" him, his sticker price will almost certainly be more than our cap space will allow.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Jason Williams.
Ranked the 24th best OLB by Scouts. Hmmmm.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 26, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

#80 Antoine Caldwell

Let's hope this happens.

When then take a corner in round 5.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

p1funk...you are right that the FO deserves SOME criticism but they have made some good moves too! If you look hard enough you could criticize any organization's FO. Snyder said it himself-the reason why there is so much criticism is because they are not winning.

If you want insane...go to LA

Posted by: rickyroge | April 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead"

I like Williams. Better than I like Andrew Crummey. Andrew's a big talent, but that injury history is just scary.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Truth only post during 'work' hours? Are you still not a regular?

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 26, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 26, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

well said!

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yoder

'...I don't believe in staying away from players based on where they went to school...'

I get your point. But three names:

Ki Jana Carter
Blair Thomas
Curtis Enos

Would you draft a Penn State running back?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Yoder

I get your point. But three names:

Ki Jana Carter
Blair Thomas
Curtis Enos

Would you draft a Penn State running back?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse
Larry Johnson?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

whoa whoa 4thFloor

back off, it's draft day

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 26, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Would you draft a Penn State running back?"

If I knew anything about football and thought he was a good fit for the team, yes. That history would just give that player even more motivation to prove the critics wrong. Which is a variable that shouldn't be overlooked.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Would you draft a Penn State running back?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse
Larry Johnson?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Franco Harris?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Glen Coffee to San Fran...good draft. Nice 1-2 punch with Gore.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Antoine Caldwell, Duke Robinson or Jamon Meredith coming up.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I hope Duke goes and we get Jamon if not, Caldwell.

Posted by: Gweez | April 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

caldwell is a texan

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

there goes Caldwell...dammit

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Caldwell gone...

Posted by: Gweez | April 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Damn, Caldwell just taken by Texans.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

jinx but me a coke!

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

jinx, draft me a Meredith

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 26, 2009 10:25 AM
-------------------------

Nah, but it IS possible - even likely - that in a day and age where schadenfreude runs rampant, some people will accept a beat reporter who has a personal ax to grind.

It's what makes bloggers like Perez Hilton possible, and such as...

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh took Urbik

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: tafka | April 26, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

from twitter:

RedskinsInsiderLa Canfora is hearing that #Skins are trying like crazy to trade down. Stay with us. #NFL draft

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

here we go...trade coming?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 26, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hook up the OL. Maredith or Duke would be tight.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | April 26, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Barnes, a Terp!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 26, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I had talked up Louis Vasquez. Easy to do with 39 reps in the 225lb bench. He was also from an extreme passing offense.

Then there it is a CB!? What the Frak.

Posted by: chavez66 | April 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

a CB? r u effing kidding me? why no trade down or some OL beef? WTF?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | April 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Maryland CB kevin Barnes. Scored a 41 on both Wonderlic and vertical jump. 4.45 in 40. Projected in 4th rd.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 26, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

CB was probably the one position of least need. With the talk of trading back and/or recognizing the guy had a pretty serious injury to knock him out of most of the second half of his last season. Not having a 4 may pushed this pick. Too bad we didn't pick up a Virginia O-lineman before it became cosher.

Posted by: chavez66 | April 26, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

They had it dubbed the year of the O-line. 3 had to be a Tackle. 5,6,7 left meant special teams guys. LB is a tough enough position you might like a 1st rounder but LBs and DBs can play special teams. You don't see Stephan Heyer on the Kickoff team.

Posted by: chavez66 | April 26, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse