Skins May Sign a Player This Week

Jason Reid reports:

Concerned about injuries along the defensive line, the Redskins are evaluating players who could be signed this week, including former Redskins defensive tackle Ryan Boschetti.

The Redskins could be short-handed at the position against the New York Giants on Sunday at FedEx Field. Cornelius Griffin (shoulder) needed a cortisone injection in order to complete Sunday's 20-17 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at Qwest Field and Kedric Golston played despite the pain of a bone spur in his foot. Reserve defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery has sat out a few games because of an Achilles' tendon injury, though he could return this week, Coach Jim Zorn said. Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, and his staff have moved to bolster the position with free agents.

Boschetti, who was released on Aug. 30, originally signed with Washington as an undrafted free agent in 2004. Boschetti was at Redskins Park earlier today and left without speaking to reporters. My partner in all things Redskin, Jason La Canfora, contacted Boschetti on his cell phone, but he did not want to discuss the situation.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 25, 2008; 1:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering 21: A Writer's View
Next: Skins Release S. Alexander, Expect to Sign Boschetti

Comments

I hope that on Sunday, The Reaper will be the stone in David's sling and we get to watch the Giants fall.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 25, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Great....another wasted draft pick.

Posted by: mrizzle | November 25, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

William Perry is looking for work, lol. No really, D-line is hurtin and have played well. It is probably time for some fresh reinforcement. Evans should be lauded for his contributions this season.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why they wouldn't put EJames on IR, instead of cutting him. Let him get that knee healthy and see what he has next year.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I count 2 wasted draft picks......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

F James, wasted 7th rounder on that one, should have cut him on fainal cut down day and pocketed the pick. I said it at the time to BTW. Check the archives...

Keep Jackson, I think that dude has potential.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Boschetti is the Rasputin of the Redskins DL

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Boschetti is the Rasputin of the Redskins DL
__________________________________________

?????????

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, I'd say he is about done. He passed a physical back in August. Even suited up some earlier in year. I think Blanche basically saying his opinion of the dude.

Jackson wasn't a wasted pick, he still has upside.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 25, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess Tyler2Durden slept though European History/World Civ.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 25, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Biscotti!

Posted by: freakzilla | November 25, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have a lot of wasted draft picks. Hopefully they will pick better in the future.

Posted by: TheJury | November 25, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Skins will cut James for Biscotti or whatever the guys name was, James will be then re- grabbed by Minn and turn out to be a good player.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 25, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

With this week being the first anniversary of The Reaper being taken from us and with his installation in the Ring Of Fame before Sunday's game, is there a chance that the 'Skins will be "emotioned out" by game time and actually play flat? Just a thought.

Also, as a displaced fan, I'd like to add my sediments that JLC and the Post did a kick ass covering ST murder.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 25, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV. I bleed burgundy and gold and wasn't being negative about the man just some questionable transgressions. I wish, like all Skins fans that he was still here , especially to be a father to his daughter.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 1:53 PM

Don't we all have questionable transgressions? They shape and mold us into who and what we are. Did you like Sean as a person? If this answer is yes, then it should not matter what negative things the man did. Did Taylor do some questionable things? Yes. Should we rehash on those while reflecting on his time on this earth and with the team--one year later (tomorrow) after he was killed?

I'm just trying to stay positive because the situation calls for it. I may come across as a little b!tchy because I have so much love and respect for Sean Taylor.

Yeah, damn right I do!

Tyler2Durden, I understand your point, but I think there is a time and place for everything. By all means post what you want--hell, I can't stop you...

Hail and RIP ST#21--you were going to be a HOF'er and greatest safety ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I know who Rasputin was but I don't see Boschetti as that for the skins? Was Boschetti related to the occult and a womanizer?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 25, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Take a deep breath Red. I feel the same way about the Reaper as you do. Focus your energy on the postive things about him. Ignore those that want to spend time on the negative.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 25, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hail and RIP ST#21--you were going to be a HOF'er and greatest safety ever
_____________________________________________
Well said. Mutual respect and the ability to disagree peaceably are part of the fabric that our society is lacking.

I know who Rasputin is, I was a history major I just don't know how Boschetti emulates him. Does he have an 18" crank like Rasputin was purported to have or something?

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking more along the lines of they can't get rid of him no matter how hard they try.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Ignore those that want to spend time on the negative.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 25, 2008 2:12 PM |

Wow dude, you are born again......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Realistically is there someone walking the street that can help us? At this point can we raid another teams practice squad? I think Kris Wilson needs more time and will be a Dexter Manley type pass rusher.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow dude, you are born again......

Posted by: dlhaze1

Nope that has always been my stand when it came to the Reaper.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 25, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow dude, you are born again......

Posted by: dlhaze1

And for the record I am a Muslim.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 25, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

RED DMV, you seem like someone with whom I could kick back with a good bourbon and a quality cigar and do some Lincoln/Douglas style debating but with football as the topic of choice.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Trade for Boldin.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If anyone will be cut, it will be SA37, now that Zorn has confidence in Sellers to contribute as a Halfback.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

SA37 has been totally worthless. Any chance he was a BALCO client but got lucky by never being ratted out?

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Why is Ryan Boschetti so salty with the media?

If anyone says they have anything past 14", they're lying. People get so worked up over the quantity rather than the quality.

Quality of your "equipment" as well as your "craft". rather than the quantity of your equipment, and the quantity of your craft.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Patiently waiting for Malcolm Kelly, who cost us a second-round pick this spring and who has been dinged up all year, sure looks like it will turn out to have been prudent... on the other hand, patiently waiting for Erasmus James, who cost us a seventh-round pick, sure looks like a mistake...

Cf: getting Pete Kendall at the last possible minute when we were desperate and having him become a stalwart on the O line... on the other hand, getting Jason Taylor at the last possible minute when we were desperate and having him become something other than a stalwart on the D line.

Not axe-grinding, I'm not, I'm really not...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Trade for Boldin.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Might as well. If we're going to cut James, might as well get some value in return. I'm all for a Boldin/James swap. A good GM would make it happen...

Posted by: psps23 | November 25, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the original Long Dong Silver (the black dude) over 18"

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Nate, way to be prudent at this juncture.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 25, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Which Boldin are we talking about?

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tyler2Durden

LMAO! They need to cut him now and be done with it.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Boschetti is a decent player but he's no Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for a Boldin/James swap. A good GM would make it happen...

Posted by: psps23 | November 25, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The pre-Wisenhunt Cardinals probably would have made that happen.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

tyler and red, WTF?? Take 'that' conversation elsewhere....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Boschetti is a decent player but he's no Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: RambleOn
________________________________________

How many of us schmucks can claim to be as great as Torrence? Mike Westbrook anyone?

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:14 PM

Huh! Never heard of that story. Guess my history book was a little bit different than yours.

He was the mystic adviser dude to the czars of Russia, who when the Bolshevics took over tried to murder him like 3 times and he kept coming back when they thought he was dead.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

ALEXANDER WAS CUT

Posted by: mopp04 | November 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

tyler and red, WTF?? Take 'that' conversation elsewhere....

Posted by: BeantownGreg
--------------------------------------------
Are you the guy that can't whiz with someone standing next to him at the urinal?

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

what do people mean when they say "jackson has potential, lets keep him." Thats absurd, no one has seen him play and for that matter anyone on the bench has potential. Skins fans hate admitting it, but we're perilously thin on the line thanks to no new talent in the draft or free agents. James, Jackson, or whoever aren't the answer!

Posted by: dadanimal | November 25, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Predator48. My dad made sure I was home-schooled. You may have heard of him, Ron Jeremy? He is kind of a celebrity.

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Word of the day: Absurd

Posted by: Tyler2Durden | November 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

beep beep...it's true.

SA is a goner!!

Posted by: 4-12 | November 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...I thought that dude, Alan Iverson, was The Answer...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

tyler, nope, I'm just the guy who doesn't talk about other guys junk....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

E.James - is not worth the bother...Had some potential up here in Minnesota - but unfortunately - I don't believe he will ever be healthy... Vikings may indeed grab him since they are about to lose 2 D-liners - picking up a suspect DE to help fill in for 2 DT's is something Vikes might do - that's why they are so successful up here in the red-hot NFC-North where an 8-8 record will probably when the division.

Posted by: wml123 | November 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

dadanimal,

We have seen Jackson play. In preseason. He showed me something. He is a young guy who has potential to develop. Obviously the staff agrees, and they do see him, since he was kept on the roster. Not reopen the "bust" debate, but you can't judge a guy on his rookie season. Is he a project, of course, but I think he has upside.

James, you right he is trash.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously SA provided his"Service" and was here to get his old team back. If I were Zorn I would have sent him out on the last play to take the knee for JC and then walked onto the field and said "your fired"

Posted by: alex35332 | November 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | November 25, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Tyler2Durden, I've said a couple of times that I rarely read the thread anymore, I just skip down to the comments.

Who else does this?

I like to read different opinions on football, especially the 'skins. I may not have the insider track or knowledge on everything football, but I try to accquire it. That's one of the main reasons I come here. To possibly learn something that I didn't know before.

I respect everyone up here, even if I don't show it. But some of you can be intolerable d0uches at times--Looking dead into in the retinas of TheTruth11.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

They should have left him in Seattle anyway.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence was worthless!!! Only time I heard his name mentioned was for a penalty or when he got burned deep. Hall had more INT's in his first quarter as a Redskin than Torrence did in three years!!!

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | November 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Saw Torrence play last night for the Saints.

Leigh was good on special teams when he was here.

Posted by: PBL4 | November 25, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Defensive end Erasmus James has not been active recently. Defensive coordinator Greg Blache has said he does not expect James to contribute, so cutting James would be the likely move if Cerrato decided to sign Boschetti or another defensive tackle. The Redskins also could cut rookie defensive end Rob Jackson, but sa team might claim Jackson, if only because he is 23. With James's history of knee problems, Washington probably could bring him back at some point. ***

Once again jalac displays his complete lack of understadning of anything having to do with roster strategy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 25, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to look to the future....I think we need to bring Mike Vick to the Redskins...1) he has a Fan Base here (VT Alum), they are forgiving. 2) Dan Snyder will make all kinds of MONEY 3) Bring on PETA .. no matter where he (VICK) goes, they will continue to "hound" him because they will get "National Attention" which is what they want...free publicity. He did his time, he's paying for his sins ... PETA should concentrate on finding the active Dog Fighters or helping those people with 100 cats in their homes rather than chasing and "hounding" someone who will probably not have anything to do with dogs or pets when he's done with his time!!!

Posted by: rav4drvr | November 26, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse