Skins Release Jon Jansen (Updated)

The Redskins have released right tackle Jon Jansen, the team announced this afternoon.

"This morning, Coach [Jim] Zorn, Vinny Cerrato and I met with Jon," owner Daniel M. Snyder said in a statement released by the team. "I've developed a close relationship with Jon and his family over the last 10 years and I have the utmost respect for him as a person and a player. He has been an important part of our organization for the past decade. We wish Jon and his family the very best."

Jansen, 33, was drafted out of Michigan by the Redskins in the second round of the 1999 draft, taken 37th overall. He played in 126 games, starting in 123, for the team. His surprising release is a strong indication of Zorn's position and influence in the organization.

Zorn's job security has been in question since last season's second-half collapse, and some team sources have questioned the significance of his role, if any, in major decision-making, but the release of Jansen, and the accompanying cap hit of a little more than $6 million, would seem to make it clear that Zorn still has some juice with Snyder. Zorn was the one who pushed for the move, which should have been made before last season.

In a statement released by the team, Zorn said of Jansen: "We really admire Jon and the example that he set as a team leader both on and off the field. "He is a professional who was a valuable part of this franchise for a long time. Jon worked hard, laid it on the line each week and on many occasions played with injuries. Though we have elected to move in another direction, we appreciate Jon's commitment, leadership and dedication to the Redskins organization."

Said offensive line coach Joe Bugel, in a statement from the team: "I had a great player-coach relationship with Jon. He is one of the toughest guys that I have ever coached. He was a great competitor who prepared well for each and every game. We appreciate his commitment to the Redskins and wish him the very best."

Cerrato, through the team, commented: "Decisions like this are difficult, especially with someone like Jon, who has meant a great deal to our organization and community. Jon has been a fixture at the right tackle position for the past 10 seasons. He is a tough football player who played through injuries and displayed a great commitment to his teammates and coaches."

By Jason Reid and Cindy Boren  |  May 29, 2009; 1:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marcus Washington Still Looking for a Team
Next: Your Take on Jansen's Release

Comments

First...

Is this a joke? I thought all the "experts" had indicated that this would be a horrible salary cap move since it's cheaper to keep him than release him...?

It's not April Fools Day so I guess this is real somehow?

Posted by: Skins4LifeBaby | May 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Cindy where is our Goodbye email from JLC

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Whoa. Didn't see this coming. Isn't there a terrible cap hit? How can we afford this????

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

How much dead money will that cost us?

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Cindy where is our Goodbye email from JLC

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:27 PM

That's right, I thought it was coming yesterday.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ridgely1
900000 in dead cap.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Cant understand this. Vinny Rasputin's one redeemable quality was that he was supposed to be a "cap guru." Didn't expect JJ to start but holy hell we need some depth. Well, they already threw Campbell under the bus I guess its clinton's turn now.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | May 29, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Big boy must be looking good!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | May 29, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice.

First JLA, now Jon Jansen.

Looks like we're getting rid of alot of dead weight around here.

...if only Vinny and Danny could be next.

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thought it would be much more than $900k cap hit to release him? Thought the hit for releasing Jansen was several million.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Jansen was under contract through 2011. He was due to earn a base salary of $1.35 million this season. He was scheduled to receive base salaries of $4.35 million in each of the final two years of his contract.

So how much of this counts towards this years cap? Just the 1.35? They must be counting on no cap next year. I hope so.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Overdue. He's an iffy backup at this point who is a major liability in pass protection.

This clears a spot for one of the young guys (Baptiste, Clark, Williams) to try and make the active roster.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | May 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins management is a joke. They draft zero lineman in this draft, and then release an experienced lineman while keeping a 400lb. lineman who has not played in three years. It is very hard to root for this team.

Posted by: skinsflorida | May 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I know this will be mentioned over and over, but Jansen played with TWO BROKEN THUMBS. That is all-time tough guy stuff.

Goodbye, and thanks, Jansen.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What happen to JLA he no longer with Post or no longer covering Skins?

Posted by: wstclair | May 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Well the skins just used the extra cap room they got when the NFL announced the unexpected cap increase a few weeks ago. (Might have been a month or longer) I would have rather seen the skins sign a LB but I can live with never seeing a DE run right around Jansen in a skins uniform.

Posted by: caps512 | May 29, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Not that Jansen was going to be the answer but I have a feeling that JC is going to have to practice a lot this summer on how to throw while rolling to his left....

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | May 29, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

____________________________________________

Then don't root for them move on

Posted by: wstclair | May 29, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

wow, that was certainly out of left field....I'm not sure that any of us saw this coming....not sure what to make of this....on one hand, he's long in the tooth, but not sure what they've got for a plan. MWilliams must be showing Buges something in practice.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

sorry to hear this news. I think he can play another two years. I think he can produce for another two years.

Thank you, Jon. May the best be yet to come.

Maybe this is, in some way, a convoluted ploy to get Jansen in as the Skins NFLN guy and JLac out?

All and all, I know that Jansen is a bright, well-spoken, cat. He has certainly impressed me with his camera savvy personality in the past.

Posted by: AllThatSkins | May 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

This makes way too much sense. Is Danny on vacation this week?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

What happen to JLA he no longer with the Post?

Posted by: wstclair | May 29, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have some inside info on why or how this happened, instead of getting scooped by another paper?

Good thing the jibba jabba is top rate!

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 29, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Someone tell Cooley he needs to go buy an RV so the linemen have a place to hang and drink (soda) after practice.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I got my answer he going to work for the NFL Network what the hell I must be behind the times here. Going to have to see his ugly mug on TV now?

Posted by: wstclair | May 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey wstclair, you are SOOOOO smart. Why didn't I think of that? Maybe I can root for the Dolphins.

Posted by: skinsflorida | May 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow...didnt see that coming. I got the text alert during a staff meeting and had to excuse myself.

What now?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I also thought the cap hit was worse than 1.3 million. Eventhough his pass protection has slipped, he still was good with the run. For a million bucks, we still had an experienced O-lineman. How much will we pay the unproven O-lineman?

Posted by: LIskinsfan | May 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

They've got Heyer, Williams and the Bridges guy working out at RT, they obviously feel OK at the position. Could any of these guys do worse than Jansen? Why delay the inevitable...it's time to get younger on the line, and this means that the young guys are going to have to step up and get reps. Bravo.

Last season notwithstanding we got alot of good seasons out of him. Good luck, JJ.

Posted by: p1funk | May 29, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

SkinsFlorida:
I just get so tired of everybody bashing Vinny the front office "Danny Boy" I am not saying they don't deserve it, but at this point what is the point of it? We know how they are we know how hey going to run the Skins and it is not likely to change in the near future. Maybe one day it will change and "The Danny" will hire good football people and let them run it.

But until then just root for the Skins and hope they catch lighting in a bottle and one year and make a run to the super bowl. It can happen in this day and age. So stop all the complaining and just cheer for your team.

Posted by: wstclair | May 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams has more pressure now I think. How will he respond? Step up and beast out on the field or gorge on Krispy Kremes till the stress goes away and he blissfully falls into a sugar coma? We'll see soon enough...I'm hoping for the best.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Waiting on the bleeding hearts for Jon Jansen to start posting...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 29, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see Jansen go. He was a class act and (I thought) a 6+ million cap hit if cut before before June 1st. However, he failed to pass block consistently last year and was a major reason why the (passing) offense was terrible last season.

I guess this means the Skins like Heyer, Bridges and Williams at OT and E. Williams displayed good potential as a backup C/G...

Posted by: siris | May 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Post from Jasno had to be pushed back. It'll be late this weekend or early Monday morning.

Posted by: CindyBoren | May 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that they figured out at the owners meeting that the uncapped year thing is not going to happen. So cut bate now.

Pure speculation on my part.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

According to an anonymous source familiar with the situation...JLC failed to post his good-bye thread...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Since we're speculating, maybe they did this to clear up roster space to bring in another lineman?

Mike Florio know anything over theah at pro football talk?.. gonna go check...

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

To my bleeding heart,

Even though, Jansen is not in the locker room, he is still a part of Redskins Nation!

Whose gonna be the Redskins correspondent for the NFLN?

JLac or Jansen?

Posted by: AllThatSkins | May 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Jon. Thanks for the all you did for the Skins!! A True Warrior!!

Posted by: mrlowery1 | May 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Can I hear the calls for JJ as a possible apprentice to Bugs?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 1:24 PM

You want him to be a cartoon rabbit?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanksfor the update on Jasno Cindy!

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

What now?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 29, 2009 1:52 PM

You need to go back to the staff meeting and try to find out what they said about you while you were away.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow...didnt see that coming.

is what the blind man said, sorry no offence to all the blind people reading this blog

Posted by: GreatOne1 | May 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,

While you're at it, can you tell us what happened to Marc Fisher? My money says he's going to be the next head of the school where his kids go.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The Current O-line with depth

LT- Samuels, Burley
LG- Dock, Rinehardt
C- Rabach, E Williams
RG- Bridges, Thomas
RT- Heyer, M Williams

Considering last year we had 1 guy under 30 (Heyer), and he got stuck playing out of position at LT, I think it's an unsexy upgrade.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A person familiar with the situation who spoke on a condition of anonymity said "JLC is leaving Redskins Insider because The Source Meter pwns him repeatedly"

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe just maybe the front office is taking a gamble. we all sit here and bash them for not having and playing more youth maybe they just said forget it, lets ride or die with the youngin's and see what happens

Posted by: GreatOne1 | May 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are going to suck next season. What a shame.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | May 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

La Canfora's farewell post should most definitely be put up during the weekend therefor you probably won't have too many negative post.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 29, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

OK. The Redskins brain trust is brain dead. Tampering? (we won't get caught). Line depth (no one will get hurt). Dead money? (we could care less) Playoffs? (Did somebody say Playoffs?)
What a JOKE.

Posted by: donsilvester | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

John Clayton and his unnamed "sources"... I mean seriously, jmicrodoc, what is it with this guy Clayton, quoting unnamed "sources" in his report? What kind of journalist is he?

Posted by: 4-12 | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Got to be he's physically unfit. I'd thought and hoped another year to recover would bring him back. Evidently, not. Too good a guy, too big a warrior to go for any other reason besides that and aging.

Of course, it IS the Redskins FO making the call, so he may end up playing five more years elsewhere.

If he's smart, he'll launch his broadcasting career for real before he's a cripple.

He gets my highest redskin compliment:

He was a True Hog.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsflorida | May 29, 2009 1:39 PM

Don't bail out too soon, I'm pretty sure Joe Buegel knows what he's doing; also there is a reason they are keeping the so called "400lb lineman" on roaster. Heyer is still here and about 3 more line man fighting for one spot at right tackle.
Hang on! Don't be surprised if you see the
"400lb lineman" on the field on third and one or first and goal. Remember, a true redskins fan never quit.

Hail!

Posted by: abxinc | May 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

JJ had to go. He's still a quality Olineman in his mind and he was not and will not be happy as a backup. I don't cry for multi-millionaires. I am sure he will have no problem paying his mortgage. He should not have been given that $20 mil extension to begin with.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 2:13 PM

Maybe he was buzzing Snyder's wife?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Be sure to stand by, Red, so he's assured at least one illiterate one.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Okay, it 2:11pm and I've read all of the previous posts. I am left with the following thoughts:
1. Lot's of posts on the salary cap hit but not one is convincing me that its the one that's correct.
2. I believe our offensive line is our weakest spot with the least depth. If we waited this long, why didn't we wait longer to see how the OL shapes up in camp?
3. Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder seem to have a plan, I just can't seem to figure it out.
4. I've been a Skins fan since the days before the trade for Sonny Jurgenson, I'll be one to the day I die!

Posted by: bobleme | May 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone worried about Jansen signing with the Giants or Eagles and busting up Orakpo real bad? (I'm not).

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Jansen was a great modern day skin, who played hard, tough and good. Sorry to see him go, although from a football perspective in 2009, it makes sense.

Good luck Jansen!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 29, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

later on Jansen, I always thought you were good until your first major Injury, and then you were just average. IT is about time we got rid of your overpaid, under performing self.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc

Thanks for one of he all time funniest typos. Even funnier, following all the posts on doing chicken right yesterday....

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

He has been a good player and by all accounts a good teammate for a long time and I wish him all the best.

That said, it will be nice to no longer see him being hurled at Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Is Bridges a G or T?

Posted by: alex35332 | May 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

He should not have been given that $20 mil extension to begin with.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, especially after he had all of those injuries.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

A lot of haters up here. You haters ever heard of gratitude? ...Of course not.

Posted by: AllThatSkins | May 29, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had the juice to release Jansen in spite of the cap hit, he is empowered enough to take full responsibility if the Redskins don't at least make the playoffs this year, and make it to the conference championship game next year. Frankly, that looks like a tall order. (On another topic, there's an interesting article about Haynesworth on riggosrag.com.)

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | May 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness, this is finally done. Good-bye, good luck JON, and thanks for the memories. You were a solid player for a long time.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of his skills, and people have bashed his pass protection, but forgot is run blocking - what do we gain by releasing him now as opposed to waiting for camp as someone had pointed out? He knows the system and can be a good back-up that is proven.

Posted by: LIskinsfan | May 29, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are going to suck next season. What a shame.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | May 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Releasing Jansen is the tipping point for suckiness?

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 29, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"it will be nice to no longer see him being hurled at Jason Campbell"

I don't care who you are, thats funny.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I loved Jansen for us, don't get me wrong, but ever since he was injured the second time he was a revolving door on the right side of the line. The problem now is that we have NOBODY on that side. If you are gonna make a move like this, please have a plan in place to make up for it which the Redskins do NOT!!!

Posted by: kickass10101 | May 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Tough way to go ... tougher than announcing your retirement and getting honored in the last game. Still, the guy went to the University of Michigan so he'll never stack up like the greats in my mind: Tony Mandarich, Robaire Smith, Devin Smith, other great Michigan State stars ... um, wait, never mind. Hail Jansen.

Posted by: dcsween | May 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

++... Jansen, I always thought you were good until your first major Injury, and then you were just average. IT is about time we got rid of your overpaid, under performing self.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000+++

+++Waiting on the bleeding hearts for Jon Jansen to start posting...

Posted by: RedDMV ++++

We should all save posts like these and re-read them the next time a player leaves a team for more money and is accused of not caring about his hometown fans.

Posted by: TheCork | May 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LIskinsfan

‘Skins Avoided $1 Million Roster Bonus By Cutting Jansen
Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2009, 2:06 p.m.

A league source tells us that, in addition to the $1.35 million base salary the Redskins won’t be paying to recently-cut tackle Jon Jansen, the team also is off the hook for a $1 million roster bonus.

The bonus would have been earned if Jansen had been on the roster as of July 1.

Jansen also was scheduled to earn a $150,000 workout bonus. Assuming he was on track to satisfy the required percentage of participation in offseason drills to trigger the payment, a grievance could be pursued, if the ‘Skins don’t pay him the money.

Jansen’s argument would be that he would have earned the bonus, that he substantially complied with his end of the bargain, and that he was prevented from getting to the goal by no action or fault of his own.

The move clears up a total of $2.35 million in cap space, but that amount will be offset by any bonus acceleration applicable to the final two years of his contract — 2010 and 2011.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 29, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas and beep beep.

Posted by: dcsween | May 29, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"what do we gain by releasing him now as opposed to waiting for camp as someone had pointed out?"

It's a professional favor. It allows Jansen time to catch on to another team. Just good conduct for a guy who was loyal to you for a decade's span.

Posted by: psps23 | May 29, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Everybody in the Redskins FO and coaching staff wants to give Jansen what he wants: to play and not retire.

Now, Jansen is on the block and there will be a team in need of veteran depth as mini camps and ota's begin to sting teams with injuries across the Oline.

There is no way Danny pays Jansen millions to be a backup. Jansen doesn't want that, either.

Also, there is no way that Buges & Zorn use Jansen as camp fodder; the dude commands more respect than that.

Posted by: AllThatSkins | May 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12

According to an anonymous source familiar with the situation, 4-12 likes to compare a beat writer to a journalist

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This is the freakin' stupidest move the front office has ever made. Jansen is a warrior and would have played along as a backup and maintained a good attitude. We didn't have alot of depth to start with, and we're getting rid of a good, veteran lineman? And I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the salary cap, but I'd always understood the savings of this move to be minimal this year. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I think.

Posted by: skinsfan213 | May 29, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That's the last time you'll catch me whining about a new post.

Jansen and Jason...sheesh!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 29, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12

"4-12 likes to compare a beat writer to a well known journalist", said a source familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

No matter what occurs, this will always be Jasno's blog...

Okay, if the Post sells it to Extreme Snyder, not so much.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | May 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

An update on Mike Williams' fitness would be great...

And cap numbers would be amazing...

Posted by: csh2000 | May 29, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Didn't know they had the cap flexibility to do this. Either way, it sounds like they fully expect Mike Williams to make the team.

Posted by: drischord | May 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info:
He definately deserves professional courtesy - I think he's earned it.

With the $ savings pointed out - 2.35M it makes more sense

Posted by: LIskinsfan | May 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000+++

+++Waiting on the bleeding hearts for Jon Jansen to start posting...

Posted by: RedDMV ++++

Would argue that he got paid way more than he deserved when he signed his new contract. He lost what made him great. teh skins do what they always do, overpay for a player. In this case it just happened to be an in house player. Before he was injured he was a really good player, after he was average and we still paid him like he was a top tier lineman, which he was not.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Should Randy Johnson be following Jansen out the door? Great guys but both are long past their prime.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 29, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Jon, thanks for all the hard work as a player and as a member of the skins. God bless you and your family. Take care Jon....

Posted by: joe12341 | May 29, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Jansen was a great Redskin who got injured, old and slow. Doesn't make him a bad person. But for the cap hit, he probably would have been cut last year. Sometimes a broken down tackle can move to guard and get another year or two out of his career - see Fabini - but the sad fact is that his body was worn out. The problem of keeping him was that it didn't seem like he was a better option at backup guard or center than we already have and he loomed large over the development of the next guys to take over the tackle spot. As it is the team might not be able to keep all three of Heyer, Bridges, and Williams - why cut two of them just to keep Jansen for one more year.

Posted by: thinker11 | May 29, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Good Man on a bad team.
Good Luck!

Posted by: shamken | May 29, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Last season was a clear indicator that Jansen can no longer play even a 12 game season. He's just too beat up. That doesn't mean he couldn't perform in a reserve role (at a lesser price). It's a shame they couldn't convert Jansen to a less mobile position, say center. Then we might have some depth there.

Next up for replacement, right guard. Randy Thomas is old and slow. It might have been nice to draft a new left tackle and move Samuels to the right side.

Posted by: tkoho | May 29, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

A $5 million cap hit to release a guy who you could release for free next year? Even worse, he plays at the thinnest position on your team? Sounds like Danny and Vinny.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | May 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

jc will have to practice throwing from his a**! Why couldn't we have started all these releases with vinny and danny boy?

Posted by: 1of9000 | May 29, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

although jansen was tough...and played at all-pro status at times over the years...

the truth of the matter is that the last two years, he had played hurt and has CONSISTENTLY been beaten on speed rushes from every team we have face the last two years...

he along with our center(casey rabach), cost us many first downs and potential big plays by getting beat, missing assignments and getting multiple holding penalties...

jansen however was a true redskin..." core guy" and he will be missed...

unfortunately, this day always comes at the end, for every athlete in every sport...

it is time to retire big guy....you should have taken the small amount of money and the back-up job that they were offering you...

good luck to you son...........

Posted by: docdwb | May 29, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the hard work and being one of the best examples of a Redskin on and off the field, Jon.

Posted by: TheGreat8 | May 29, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

It's the bad part of the business, but it had to be done. He was way past his prime and nowhere near effective anymore. That said, I hope he sticks around the area as some sort of commentator/analyst. He's a good guy, well spoken, and smart. It would be nice if you could say that about more than half of the team. I don't see anybody else picking him up, unless it's a midseason desperation move. His playing days are over, but I think he's good enough on camera to have a new career. Now if we could only do the same with Griffin, Thomas, Collins, Betts, and Randle El.

Posted by: CJHutch7673 | May 29, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CJHutch7673 | May 29, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Jansen been on his back, more times than Madonna.

He was always excuse filled for everything, and everyone that went past him.

I was done with Jansen, when he wouldn't reach down and help Ramsey of the turf after he was sacked against the Giants.

And who do you think missed, the block on the D-end that made the sack. None other than Jansen.

Good Reddens!

Posted by: dashriprock | May 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Jasen is too small. Less than 300 lbs. Skins need 400 lbs tackle LOL

Posted by: davidnle | May 29, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"The problem of keeping him was that it didn't seem like he was a better option at backup guard or center than we already have and he loomed large over the development of the next guys to take over the tackle spot."

Good call, Thinker. Remember that Buges did have Jansen practice at center a while last season, so they knew what Janesen was going to be able to do somewhere else.

Posted by: WorstSeat | May 29, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Jon...you were a class guy, a warrior and a true Skin. Also....Go Blue!

Posted by: postsports | May 29, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

While he was very good for a long time, injuries took their toll and it was time to move forward.

Posted by: tdl62 | May 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

incouraging.... it seems now the kid gloves are really off. this indicates that Campbell will be benched should he get back into his 2 and 6 ways. The team was screwed over by not seeing if one of the other QB's could have righted the ship last season.

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | May 29, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the REDSKINS !! Its called progress!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 29, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Wash Times is reporting that Jansen has already signed with the Lions (!?!), has quotes from Jansen, says he has circled week 3 when they play the Skins. He lives in Michigan, a U-M teammate is on the Lions line, ex-Skins coaches and players are there, including the GM Martin Mayhew.
If ever a guy needed good luck...good luck Jon.

Posted by: KidTJ | May 29, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

HOLD UP STOP EVERYTHING!!! THE BEAT REPORTER IS LEAVING THE BUILDING????????

This just made my day. Scratch that, this just made my month.

The most despicable, shameless, irresponsible reporter this side of Jayson Blair, Jason La Canfora has earned a reputation over the last several years as the most dishonest reporter in the D.C. metro area. Even his fellow colleagues at the Post could not stand him personally nor professionally. Trust me on that one.

Good riddance, Canfora. You will not be missed.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

First off I am glad to see JLC go. Now unto Jansen. It won't cost us as much because with the new cap increase it rose to I believe 128 million. I believe thatsan 5-6 million increase.

Posted by: peg91 | May 29, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

About time. Jansen should have been waived 3 or 4 years ago. I know he is a good guy but lets face it, he hasn't been very effective for a long time. I remember hearing that most GMs were shocked the Skins took him back after his leg injury as he was graded as a back up at best prior to that around the league.
Now if we could only trade Portis and eliminate the cancer that festers within.

Posted by: neil64 | May 29, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

First of all, i was glad to someone post the truth about JJ. he was never a top notch tackle, merely a good one who lost any and all ability with injuries. it's personal to the fans, but the football part says this guy should have never have been given a contract extension and is well past his best football. The problem i have and hate to see anyone defending this front office on anything. They continue to be a "shoot from the hip" decision makers. Look how they picked Zorn for crissakes. they tamper, they restructure every friggin contract they can only to cut guys the next year, so they can spend more money, thinking they are "one player away" again. they should have cut JJ after season and drafted OL but clueless Vinny tells us they didn't draft a center because they didn't have one rated as 2-3 well known, big school centers are drafted after the sixth round. I have said it before and i'll say it again. "To Jason Campbell, RUN, don't walk away from this disfuntional front office the first chance you get. They don't deserve the class act that you are. Until Snyder gets rid of that clown Vinny(let's do a radio show) Cerata and turns the football decisions over to a real GM, we are doomed to mediocrity. Example of their unprofessioanlism is that stupid ass radio show vinny did, They unexpectedly win some early season games, can't wait to start a giddy radioshow so they can tell you "i told you so, see how smart we are". Then they lose a few games and you can't even get Vinny to come on the air after a few loses(scheduling conflicts??) knowing his goofiness is going to get blasted as they draft 3 receivers, within 2 rounds that can't get on the field on one of the worst offenses in the league. PITIFUL! Unprofessioanl clowns is being way too nice here! I will forever root for the skins, but until we change the way we make decisions, I cannot truly expect us to be winners, much less just have a prefessioanl front office that actually has a plan and abilty to draft depth as all good teams do.....i gotta go,my head is about to explode... got to drink a beer.... these clowns are so hapless!!! GOOD LUCK JJ- We'll miss ur class and professionalism but it's time to hang em up Big john!

Posted by: klangley69 | May 29, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

That is one of the most misinformed and ignorant blog posting-summaries I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 30, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse