Skins Set to See Familiar Faces

As we all know, pro football is a game of emotion and it's also an insular world in which lives and careers constantly overlap. With that in mind, some of the schlubs got to thinking the other day [editor's note: it's a miracle!] about the Redskins' schedule and just how many blasts from the past will be popping up, whether at FedEx Field or on the road, to say hello. Here's a quick rundown, as I head to Redskins Park and prepare for my 1 p.m. chat...

Of course, the team has already faced Gregg Williams when Jacksonville visited in the final preseason game. In the Sept. 4 opener, they were reunited with the guy who has a photographic memory for the Redskins' playbook, Antonio Pierce. We don't have to remind you that defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was one of many who interviewed when the Redskins were seeking a coach.

Here's the Grudge Bowl rundown for what's left:

Week 2: New Orleans

The No. 8 car, Mark Brunell
A figure of scorn and occasional delight in four years as a starter and backup in Washington, Brunell returns as Drew Brees' backup.

Wide receiver David Patten
Signed by the Redskins and then rested for a couple of seasons, Patten may start in place of injured Marques Colston. He has been a key contributor for the Saints and reportedly remains plenty motivated to show the Redskins what he can do.

Week 3: Arizona

Russ Grimm
A former position coach with the Redskins, he didn't get so much as a call when the team was looking for a coach. The former Hog is offensive line coach for the Cardinals.

Week 4: Dallas

Brad Johnson
The QB's feelings about the Redskins are pretty well known. He's been known to wear his Redskins throwback jersey to and from games against the Redskins. He's now a heartbeat away from replacing Mr. Jessica Simpson.

Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles

Louis Riddick
The longtime personnel man was dismissed this offseason after seven years, caught on with Eagles in their personnel dept and has been scouting the NFC East. He was all over the team in the preseason.

Week 6: St. Louis

Al Saunders
You remember him.

Week 7: Cleveland Browns

This one stumped the schlubs. You guys tell us. We came up with nothing.

Week 8: Detroit Lions

This is a stretch, but hear us out. There's a legendary story, told to me by some of the veteran schlubs, about when Lions President Matt Millen was broadcasting games back at the turn of the century. He and the schlubs were heading to the locker room at FedEx Field and Millen was talking to Daniel Snyder. At one point, Snyder reportedly told Millen to call him Mr. Snyder. Millen kept calling him Dan.

Week 9: Pittsburgh Steelers

Ryan Clark
A steady safety who was Sean Taylor's best friend on the team and was looking for a modest bump in salary, Clark was allowed to walk. He signed with Pittsburgh, the Redskins gave Adam Archuleta $10 million guaranteed and, well, yada-yada.

Week 10: Bye

All grudges are on hold for a week of peace, love and relaxation.

Week 11: Dallas Cowboys
See above.

Week 12: Seattle Seahawks

The Lazor Bowl
QB coach Bill Lazor learned he was out of a job from the media. He replaced Jim Zorn in Seattle, where many on the Redskins' offensive staff -- Zorn, Stump Mitchell, Sherman Smith -- have ties.

Week 13: New York Giants
See above.

Week 14: Baltimore Ravens

Marcus Mason
Could he be active for this game?

Hue Jackson
The QB coach was let go after three season with the Skins.

Week 15: Cincinnati Bengals

The Marvin Bowl
Will Marvin Lewis still be the coach?

Ocho Cinco
Snyder gets to see the former Chad Johnson play, after ardently pursuing him in the offseason.

Week 16: Philadelphia Eagles
See above

Week 17: San Francisco 49ers

The Ice Cream Bowl
If he's still coaching the Niners, Mike Nolan will get to face the Skins. (If you don't get the ice cream reference, google "snyder," "nolan" and "vanilla.")
...
You can also follow the Redskins' forecasts from the Capital Weather Gang.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 11, 2008; 10:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Step 1 Is the Run for Skins
Next: Unrestricted Kelly

Comments

They're not saying "Bruuuuunell," they're booing.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 11, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sure that Dallas and Philly's grudges go beyond Brad Johnson and Louis Riddick. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Really Nate? I always just thought the "R" in Brunell was silent. Heh, you learn something new everyday...

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

WaPo: We Know Drama

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Schlereth....every time I hear him he is dissing the Skins and fawning over the Broncos.

And he was most disappointed in the Skins and Raiders last weekend? Did he watch the Bengals and Rams????

Posted by: Lisa | September 11, 2008 11:04 AM

How about the Texans? They're somehow above us on some Power Rankings, yet they get @ss raped by the Steelers and we lost by 9 to the champs on the road. Schlereth needs to stick to soap operas.

And what's up with this "All grudges are on hold for a week of peace, love and relaxation"? WTF?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

You forgot Walt Harris in SF

Posted by: Vin Deasel's Neck | September 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Cleveland has Lennie Friedman on IR, so there's that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Some of these 'grudges' are a stretch. Most of those involved will have no impact on these games. GM's, back up QB's and personnel guys? We know The FO isn't loved and respected the way many FO's in the league are but to claim a personnel guy has an axe to grind is really reaching.

It's the NFL. Coaches and players go up against old employers all the time. Certainly there must be something better to write about than all the good will Snyder endears.

Posted by: spitbill | September 11, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

there's also the fact that Terry Robiskie was interim head coach in cleveland and washington, that probably doesn't happen too much....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

'At one point, Snyder reportedly told Millen to call him Mr. Snyder. Millen kept calling him Dan.'

Mikey likey Matt Millen mucho!

Posted by: Mikey | September 11, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Joe Jurevicius played under Jim Zorn in Seattle in 2005. That's all I got...

Posted by: Chris | September 11, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Seahawks also have Billy McMullen. He's bound to catch the game-winning touchdown to turn our impending season of misery into an opportunity to don some cement shoes and jump off the 520 bridge.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 11, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Uh Oh... There's trouble in Oilerville

Posted by: Dan Dierdorf | September 11, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Patten may start in place of injured Marques Colston. He has been a key contributor for the Saints and reportedly remains plenty motivated to show the Redskins what he can do"

I'm wondering if Patten would say the same thing?? Wouldn't he be plenty motivated to play well and contribut to a win, or does that not jive with the "all ex players have an axe to grind against this team" theme....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | September 11, 2008 11:35 AM

Skins Nation would be a much better place if some of you bitter "fans" would do just that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

IF that story is accurate then Danny is even more insufferable than I thought. The contrast between arrogant, superior people and those with a generous and friendly spirit says so much about character. Why should Danny regard himself to merit extreme deference, because he has money? Lots of idiots and not a few tyrants have had enormous stacks of filthy lucre.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Tough Actin' TENACTIN

Posted by: Pig Man | September 11, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles

Grindin' my axe that my little bro didn't make your squad. your gonna pay.

Posted by: Bryan Westbrook | September 11, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think every team has an axe to grind against us because we have a snot nosed, bitter baby serving as our beat writer.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm sleepy...
Are you guys sleepy?

Posted by: M Levy | September 11, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

beep beep....remember to remain nimble today....

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

A thought I just had:

Why is that everyone hates the damn Washington Redskins? I don't f'n get it. The national media, the f'n LOCAL media, the people who LIVE and WORK in this area.

Seriously, I don't get it. I'm tired of running into all these damn Cowboy fans in the D.C. area. What's sad is that if you go to any other football markets, there appears to be unwavering loyalty to their respected NFL team.

As for the Dallas fans in the DMV, to me they're the worst. I hate hearing the same ol' sorry ass excuses of why they like the Cowboys as opposed to the Redskins. Here are a couple that come off the top of my head:

1) "I hate how they did Doug Williams" (Most commonly used amongst black folks. I don't remember Doug Williams. The only thing I've ever seen of him was SB highlights. Ever. This should tell you something. Besides, wasn't a bunch of replacement players used that season? My people, get f'n perspective!)

2) "I didn't like their owner, Marshall from a few years back"
(Are you f'n kidding me? George Preston Marshall was a bigot and racist, but that was freakin' eons ago)

3) "I hate Dan Snyder"
(Okay, I can sort of agree with this one. But I can't let an owner dictate if I like a team or not)

4) "The Redskins are sorry"
(To me this is the response that makes me want to beat the dogshti out of someone. Usually this statement is made by some jerk-off Dallas-but-living-in-the-DMV fan. It's like people that live around here and cheer for the Cowboys have some sort of inferority complex. If they cheer for a team that doesn't win often, then somehow they'll feel inferior. To me that spells insecutity and weakness.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

WOW, that vanilla icecream story really puts things into perspective.

What an A$$ clown of an owner. No wonder anyone in the NFL with savy and football prowness stay away from this team.

I bet him and Vinny stay up together at night and smother each other in Non-Vanilla Ice Cream and talk about how smart and creative they are. Showering one another delusional praise and glory for thier masterous football know-how.

Posted by: Devo | September 11, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think Dan and Matt have a lot more in common then either of them might think. Both have shown themselves to be utterly incompetent at buying/putting together any semblence of a regularly competitive football team which has made identifiable steps toward reaching the ultimate objective of all football teams -- a championship. In a purely performance-based world, they would long be teamless and jobless. Personally, I think the highest and best use of Millen is in the TV booth, and the highest and best use of Snyder would be in the dunking booth at Six Flags.

Posted by: NostraDamUs | September 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The way I see it, we're not in that much trouble. The D didn't look great but it adjusted well at the half and certainly looked like a D that you can win with. In other words a D that will get you a lot of wins if you can score, say, three TDs.

Scoring 3 TDs will be a struggle until the offense gets on track, but I don't think it's out of the question against some questionable secondaries coming up in New Orleans, Arizona, and, yes, Dallas (paging Roy Williams).

Dallas is the class of the division, but as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow they will begin to crash and burn on Thanksgiving. It's just what they do. The Eagles looked scary against the worst team in the league, but those receivers will not produce that way against NFL-level defenses and McNabb will be hurt by week 5 or 6 and on IR by week 8 or 9. Again, we've seen this movie before. That leaves the Giants, who looked emminently beatable in the opener. They certainly didn't look like a team that is going to come beat us at our place. Under the pressure to live up to last year, Eli will fold like, well, like a folder.

Meanwhile, we have a team that, for all its warts, is accustomed to getting better as the season goes on, rather than worse. The offense is bound to get better (even if not "great") just by having more experience with it. And this team is used to making runs late in the season to get a ticket to the dance.

I like our chances of another playoff appearance, which would be no small accomplishment for a coach in his first year. In fact, if we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, I think that is an excellent sign for Zorn.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I feel the need...
the need for friggin' expletives

Posted by: Goose and Maverick | September 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Li'l dan sent a TV to L Coles? Seems he likes to 'send messages' to employees. I'd like him to send the message of winning to the fans by getting us a contender. Maybe this is the year and week 1 was an aberation.........

Posted by: splitbill | September 11, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget - The Giants also have Renaldo Wynn on their roster, who may not have an official ax to grind with us, but during his tenure here did nothing but give 110% to the team AND our community, gave us good weight on the D line, and was, of course, released for his trouble.

Posted by: mommyskinsfan | September 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Kellen Winslow Jr get furious at Gibbs for not drafting him in 2004 and kind of threatened the Redskins in an interview? He's a Redskins hater....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

This offense has changed a dozen times (figuratively speaking) since Pierce left. Let's stop making excuses every time the Giants kick our butts. It's not because they know the plays. It's because their players and coaches are better.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

WILLIE!!
We are going to DIE

Posted by: indiana | September 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

> What's sad is that if you go to any other
> football markets, there appears to be
> unwavering loyalty to their respected NFL
> team.

The D.C. area is very transient. A large portion of the local population isn't FROM the D.C. area. And if someone is from the D.C. area, then it's possible that their parents aren't. They came here from somewhere else (to work for the gov't and/or military), bringing their love for another team with them, and handing it down to the next generation.

Posted by: Goosey Maloosey | September 11, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Terry Robiskie with the Browns? He was the head coach that not only knew, but also made no secret that he was Dano's puppet - and happy to be so. His famous comment of, "I know to ask Dano for permission to do anything, including if I want to move my desk!," was a beauty, eh?

Perhaps the undermotivated Danoskins can take a page from their opponents and find something to actually make them WANT to play? It was sad to see that last season, they could care less until Sean Taylor died. If it weren't for that, Gibbs couldn't light a fire under them, so how in the world does anyone expect Zorn to?

Posted by: bulldog | September 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I was promised I was going to get picked by the Redskins with the 6th overall pick, but you all decided to go with the Meast instead of me. Now I finally stopped whining and playing in Cleveland

Posted by: KWII | September 11, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Brad Johnson

I'm not sure what this means, As a teenage fan, I remember Brad seemed to enjoy his time as a Skin as was bitter about the whole Jeff George thing. Is his wearing of the skins throwback jersey supposed to be a "i still like the skins" thing or something he does out of spite? can anyone clarify?

Posted by: Douglas | September 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse