Skins Taking Nothing for Granted

Jason Reid files this report and Dan Steinberg gets a tour of Fred Smoot's house, including "the Fred Room."

The Redskins have won four in a row, but overconfidence is not among their problems, players said.

"We can play a lot better," versatile defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander said. "This last game, even though we won, we had a lot of mistakes. We had some dropped balls, some missed coverages and just things we could have done better.

"We have stuff in all three phases of the game that we can definitely work on and get better at. I've been here three years now, and I think we all understand that no matter how you're playing, there are still those things you need to work on."

The Redskins' next three opponents - the St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions - are 1-11 combined. The team, however, won't take them lightly, coaches and players said.

"You can never sleep in this league," right tackle Jon Jansen said. "Somebody can always jump up and bite you, and you don't want to look back at the end of the year and say, 'If we had only ... against this team.' So you we're going to take it one week at a time and go out there and play hard."

...

In this week's press packet, the public relations staff included its first Super Bowl note inspired by the team's four-game winning streak.

Since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, this is the 13th time the Redskins, according to the staff's research, have had a record of at least 4-1 in the first five games. Washington advanced to the postseason nine times, and its five Super Bowl appearances occurred in seasons after such starts:

1972 -- 4-1

1982 -- 4-1

1983 -- 4-1

1987 -- 4-1

1991 -- 5-0

By Cindy Boren  |  October 7, 2008; 8:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Blog: The Curse of Ray Guy
Next: The Case Against The Rams

Comments

Whose on First?

Posted by: frediefritz | October 7, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

While we are talking about how some great starts for the Skins resulted in some SB wins, let's not forget what follows when the jints win a SB.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Superbowl!!! yeeaayy boyeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
Ummmm I've never wanted skins to just destroy a team more than this week. F the d-list analysts trying to be contrarians and make a name for themselves!!! Most of us been watching every play in slowmo for 20 years and we know if something stinks...this is a legit team as legit as any team in the league.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

As long as this team keeps it's focus,hard intensity and doesn't get distracted then I think something special is brewing in DC.

Posted by: Gltek01 | October 7, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Getting ready to watch the NFL Replay of the Skins-iggls game. So since the F the iggles week is not quite over for me, I will add this snippet from Schein:

2. There are three juicy storylines with the Redskins' sensational comeback win in Philadelphia.

# Washington is one of the best teams in the NFL thus far.
# The Eagles choked away a lead and got manhandled at home.
# Clinton Portis is the league MVP through five weeks.

Color me surprised, impressed and totally dead wrong on this Redskins team and Jim Zorn.

In a season where the Skins have dropped New Orleans and Arizona and won in Dallas, I'll make this case this was the most impressive win of the year.

Washington was down 14-0 in a blink of an eye in the first quarter after a DeSean Jackson return for a touchdown.

But then Portis (who in the NFL has played better ball in the first five weeks?) just took over. Portis and the Washington offensive line shoved around the Eagles. Portis ran for 145 yards against a defense giving up less than 60 on the ground per game. The back was tough and fresh in the fourth quarter. Portis was the best player on the field and humiliated the Eagles defense.

Zorn, once again, called a brilliant game mixing up the run and pass. He even had Antwaan Randle El throw a touchdown pass to Chris Cooley. The tight end was unstoppable with eight catches for 109 yards.

Washington's defense was incredible once again under Greg Blache. The Eagles offense was totally inept. Philadelphia was helpless on third downs.

This was a killer loss for the Eagles, who fall to 0-2 in the division and 2-3 on the season. In the NFC East, that cannot happen.

And now the Eagles have to deal with Brian Westbrook's broken ribs for the San Fran game this weekend.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

===========================================

Dealer, I couldn't agree with you more. This TEAM is for real. What will be most critical, however, is the way we respond when we hit some rough patches, which is surely going to happen, right??

Posted by: cosomfla | October 7, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Something IS brewing here in ol' D.C.! I ate a bowl of chili at halftime of the Philly game and I have yet to have my bowels move. DAM* the Redskins are good!! If we can just get by the 49ers at the end of the year and somehow make that our 12th or 13th win, I think we could squeek into the playoffs as a wild card. No doubt it would be a road game but what the hey! I feel like with our DB coach coaching the guys up, we could do something special. Something brewishly good.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | October 7, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Great time to be a Skins fan, not a wannabe, but a skins fan. Someone that has stuck by them through all the good and bad. Portis is a monster...Cooley, Jcamp, O-Line and the Defense all played well most of the time. I would like to see the Defense blitz more - I think Horton is going to be something special. I am excited to see how good Thomas and Kelly can be and I would love to see them go to the big Boy - Fred Davis in the red zone. Zorn has turned out to be a jewel, Holmgren did say he thought he would make a wonderful coach. Hail to the Skins and THEIR Fans.

Posted by: mhartz1 | October 7, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Trying to defend Zorn's offense is like trying to hammer jell-o to the wall.

Thanks McCain. I'm so using that all the time.

Posted by: Dorf | October 7, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Hello RI...

Today was a great day for me! I am an elementary/middle school Principal and guess who we had at my school???

Chris Samuels, Rock Cartwright, LaDell Betts, and Leigh Torrence!!! It was great. The kids and staff went banannas!!!

I've heard grumblings that Chris Samuels can be a bit curt at times. NOT TRUE!!! He was great...He stayed a long time and just chilled. Rock was relaxed and easygoing...Leigh Torrence joked about how I couldn't find him in the Redskins yearbook because he was all the way on page 148. They were great and it helps that they are winning. My kids thoroughly enjoyed it.

SICWIDIT

HAIL

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey John McCain...

Do you have to go to the bathroom?

Posted by: rickyroge | October 7, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

McCain looks 100 times more presidential than W but he's dwarfed by Obama's presence

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Westbrooks' rib injury was a fluke that had nothing to do with his ankle. Spooky fluky injuries scare me. I don't feel like finding out about the Skins depth.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I already watched this debate.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Why can't you pompous pricks (both sides) keep your political comments off sports threads? STFU, no one wants to hear it...if they did, they'd be elsewhere. You all are not as witty as you'd like to think.

Posted by: james45 | October 7, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

This is my first post and I am a HUGE fan and believe in this team. However, I think it's dangerous to make comparisons to the seasons where we made it to the Super Bowl.

I hate to be a buzz kill... but lest we forget the 1978. It was Jack Pardee's first season as Head Coach of the Redskins... the team won their first six games and then went on to finish 8-8 and did NOT make the playoffs.

It is imperative to take this season game by game!!

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Boo politics. Yea Redskins and 4-1. James, not so witty either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

DCSween, haven't we already found out about the 'Skins depth to a large degree? Especially on defense? I dont think any team can withstand the loss of certain key personnel, but it seems to me that the Redskins are prepared to at least weather an injury storm. Betts, Collins, Davis, D. Thomas, D. Evans, Horton/Doughty/Smoot/Torrance, Blades, Heyer/Jansen, Rinehart.... all are quality back ups who are both prepared and many have played well already.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 7, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

OK... apparently no one read my profound post or perhaps no one is not interested in what I had to say.

But I wanted to put it out there that I realized there's a typo. I meant to say, "Lest we forget, 1978".

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you guys are in the way of my script.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say anything political!!! All I said was that Obama looks and acts more prez than McCain...how is that political? Yeah I can't wait til 11/5!!! M so sick of this! Part of me doesn't want Obama to win cuz I don't think I can handle 4 years of "this"...jackie Robinson was a brave man

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting for Biden/Palin.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

nette, I Agree with you 100% on one game at a time...and I was 4 in 78 so....

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

WTF was up with Obama dissing McCain? Not cool man...mccain is one of the good guys

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 10:30 PM

I read your post but am watching the replay so did not respond. Here goes.

I do not think that anything I say or post on here is going to jinx this team. They are playing well and are taking it one game at a time. The players are the ones that need to take it one game at a time and not look beyond the next game. We, the fans can salivate in anticipation of what may come. We do that at the risk of being disappointed, but when we look at the way our team is playing, we take that risk. I for one believe that the Skins are better than many (including myself and I predicted 10-6) thought they would be. I see them hosting the cowgirls with an 8-1 record.

That's my take any way...HTTR!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Redskinette, I read it, and I think its more obvious than profound. I would prefer the Redskins be 5-0, but am really glad they are 4-1 instead of 3-2 or less. Yes the Redskins could implode, but i really don't see it occurring absent some sort of catastrophic injury bug across multiple positions. The resaon i say this is because of the way the Redskins are winning, but the way they are REACTING to thier wins and status as a 4-1 team. They are not buying the pub, and realize they have not won anything yet, and are still putting their noses to the weekly preparation grindstone. For me, THAT is the best indicator of thier future success...they are willing to work for it...and they will never quit no matter what the score or situation. Gibbs et al instilled this in the team, and the veteran leadership is also evident in this regard. This coaching staff, from top to bottom, is also doing an excellent job of preparing the team to face each week's opponent.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 7, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

dang! I didn't know they didn't like eachother

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I am voting for that O'Brian chick on CNN.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 7, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Zorn!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe -- I should have used the word "cautionary" instead of "profound".

I, too, am very excited by way the team is coming together. I am impressed across the board, but, there is a side of me that is still trying to stay in the present... it makes the ride more exciting and we shouldn't get too comfortable so early.

dealer1 -- I appreciate the cred. And btw I have a 4 year old now!! (But you'd never know by my looks that I am old enough to personally remember the despair of the 1978 season!!)

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind Nama did shake his hand...that scared me a bit...he's going to need Hillary and McCain in the congress

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Redskinette, I agree with cuationary and agree that we should nto get ahead of ourselves. I encourage all of those fortunate enough to be at Fedex to be loud and proud each game...especially against the perceived lesser opponents the next two home games.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 7, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

yeah watched it on CNN too...after peter Jennings died I moved over to the least biased cnn

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey folks, I wrote a piece breaking some data on the Skins that could point to just how good this TEAM really is. I wrote it mostly to provoke discussion from other fans, and it worked pretty good.

Check it out, you might like it:

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I love carvile and he's absolutely right if Obama maintains 5 pt lead and loses then help us god...

No jinx nette...I'm even okay letting my wife sit in the same room as the game and it hasn't jinxed them so no worries

Posted by: dealer1 | October 7, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are the real deal and will go into the bye week at 8-1. Anyone who is dark age superstitious that anyone posting on here can change that fate should just not post. Or read this blog so that their weak faith is not disturbed.

I have yet to read any posts on here by any Skins' players that suggest that they are overlooking anyone or that they are getting cocky. In fact, everything I have read or heard of the players is that they are being cautious and that they are far from perfect and are working hard and work on their day off to try to correct those errors.

I believe in this team and will continue to boast that they are the real deal and not worry about anyone else who wants to post anything positive about the outcome of this winning season!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Curzon417: I agree that the players and coach are the real deal and their composure is humble and gracious. But what about the Redskins PR Staff??? Did you read this blog?? I find the below press release self-gratifying and potentially self-defeating.

I quote:

1972 -- 4-1

1982 -- 4-1

1983 -- 4-1

1987 -- 4-1

1991 -- 5-0

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Redskinette1, If you think that the WaPo and the staff writing this blog are from the Skins PR, then you have not been reading this blog long. The WaPo and Jason La Canfora are enemies and have been feuding with each other for years. This post is WaPo and not Redskins PR!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | October 7, 2008 11:21 PM

Craig, nice article with great facts/stats to back your position. Love the comments generated and your responses to them. How people who watch football cannot see the difference between who we have played and who the jints have played is beyond me.

I am 100% in agreement with you on who is the best team right NOW. I also think we will be the best team at the end of this football year baring injuries.

Hail!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 7, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if it was WaPo or Skins PR... whoever took the time to point out the similarity between the 4-1 opening records of Redskins Super Bowl teams, and this season's 4-1 opening, they are doing a disservice to the team at large. There are so many positive things to write about these guys who are deeply respectful and gracious of each other. We have a team which is so deserving of respect, but's let's not even begin the comparisons... that will only distract us for the present and it is a foolish move.

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 8, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

hmm. Redskins PR's job is to sell tickets. Jasno's job is to sell papers. JC's job is to throw the dang ball into the hands of a WR while avoiding the hands of the DBs.
What does the one have to do with the other?

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Curzon417, much appreciated. It's been fun over there for sure, some can bring it pretty good, but others just don't have anything to bring.

And realistically, none of it matters, playing the games is what matters, and it also happens to be the fun part!

Posted by: craig2 | October 8, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Again, Redskinette1, that is my point. The WaPo and JLC are in a war with the Redskins FO that they will go to any length to cause a problem with MY beloved Redskins. I read and post on here because the community of posters have great insight and look beyond what JLC and the WaPo do.

The agenda of this post may be to cause turmoil within the Redskins organization and get the players to think that all they have to do is show up (this is only my opinion and I have nothing to back this up other that the threads I have read by JLC) at the next three games.

The Redskins PR department can be found at Redskins.com. Not even they go to the extent of trying to jinx (something I do not believe in) the Skins.

The main thought here by the people (known as hamsters) posting is to stay Medium (using one of Zorn's words) and not get ahead of themselves. I think that Zorn and his staff will keep them at that level.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 8, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen the latest installment of sports waves by Leonard Shapiro? If not it makes for a very interesting read. Personally I think he may be overexaggerating...

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/07/AR2008100703505.html

Posted by: jp1970 | October 8, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

since the feature article for Wednesday is on Jansen vs Heyer, I'll repost my PERSPECTIVES from earlier today, which covers that subject in detail.

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
brought to you by Yahoo!

This week's theme, the unclear positions. At this point, there are really only two positions that aren't clear who should be the long term starter. RT and LDE.

Start with Jansen vs Heyer at RT. To me, its Jansen. First, they won with Jansen against tough teams. But in a more cerebral look, they were unable to run right with Heyer. Wtih Jansen, running right became a solid option. I haven't checked the stats, but I get the feeling that the Skins have a higher run/pass ratio since Jansen returned.

Jansen has allowed the offense to run right, which means teams can no longer defend the run against only half the field. That opens things up on both sides.

Heyer is considered a better pass blocker. But Jansen's presence makes the run a bigger threat, which can neutralize a pass rush.

Jansen keeps the job because his presence spreads out the opposing defenses more and slows the opposing pass rush since they need to respect the run more. Also because the run game is working behind Jansen and because the Skins have beaten two NFC East foes on the road with him in the lineup. Heyer may be the future. Jansen is overpaid, is not the player he was 5 years ago and an injury risk. And he is the guy who should continue to start.

Now for LDE. Demetric Evans et al vs Jason Taylor. Lets start by stipulating that I am talking about a healthy Taylor. Taylor is a beast who has yet to be in game shape for this team. Its not clear if his compartment injury has allowed his knee some added time to heal. Generally speaking, it is assumed Taylor is a problem against the run and an asset against the pass. Given how few sacks the Skins have, its hard to argue that a stronger pass rush wouldn't pay some dividends.

But the defensive concept isn't built around a strong pass rush. Its built around suffocating the run and forcing offenses to be one dimensional. Pass only. And the plan worked against some of the best passing teams out there (just list the QBs and receivers we've faced, its quite a group).

On the d-line, however, its not an 'either or' situation. Blache rotates players, so everyone can be fresh and play to their strengths. As Taylor recovers, I see him as the starter. Against specific teams, he may play less if they can run strong at the LDE. But Taylor is smart enough to hold his own in the run and create havoc on the pass. He'll rarely be out of position and he'll find a way to create problems on pass plays, such as the 3 tips he got vs Brees.

There is no need to rush Taylor back into the lineup. But a healthy Taylor down the stretch is going to be a major asset, especially against teams that don't have an exceptional run game.

And that is ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, as always, brought to you by Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 8, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp1970 | October 8, 2008 12:40 AM

Read the article you posted the URL for. What I would expect from a WaPo employee to write. Nothing new here. More attack on Vinny's radio show. Sad...

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 8, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, I totally agree with you about Jansen. CP has been able to run right, left and in the middle with Jansen....only to the left with Heyer. Based on every interview I've seen (as well as articles read) the players seem to want Jansen to start as well.

However, for some forsaken reason, Zorn seems determined to bench Jansen for Heyer....I'm betting if Heyer is 80% healthy Zorn will start him this weekend. Maybe Buges needs to step in.....

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 8, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, that Jansen vs Heyer decision is a tough one for Zorn. I would leave Jansen in as starter because it improves our run game to the right side that will keep teams guessing on which way we would run. And I think that Jansen is aware that he has to play his best or he will not be starting and that he will be bringing it every game. This year it does not matter whether or not we have Jansen or Heyer as back up. This is the transition year and both to me are graded about the same. We need to continue to run the rock, so I say go with Jansen.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 8, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you Curzon417. It would be nice too see more positive viewpoints from the WaPo but I know it won't stop me or other true skins' fans from recognizing the dominating job that has been done by the coaching staff and the players...

Posted by: jp1970 | October 8, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

LisaR, just my opinion, but I seriously doubt that Zorn benches Jansen if Buges is 100 percent against the move. In fact, my guess is that Buges is the one making the call and Zorn is supporting Buges' decision. Again IMO, i think the offensive coaching staff may be frustrated with the occasions that Jansen gets blown up or "Walked back" in pass protection which keeps JC from going down the field. I imagine their thinking is that Heyer's run blocking is good enough, but if Jansen gets beaten on the edge, JC is at risk of getting ass planted while trying to deliver the ball. All kinds of bad things happen when DEs are lunging high or low at the QB while he is throwing the ball. Some of them are catistrophically bad. Witness Trent edwards as an example. If Heyer blocks to a draw vice blowing his guy off the line, at least CP has eyes wide open and can deliver a blow.

Having said all of this, I really, really, really like Jansen...as a true Redskin and for his warrior spirit.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 8, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Gentlemen and ladies....
We still have 12 more games to play...
Stay focused.

Posted by: tmcmullins | October 8, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

It is imperative to take this season game by game!!

Posted by: redskinette1 | October 7, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes. You are correct. Though I wasn't born yet, I can relate because they did it again in 1996.

We were 7-1 with Ferrotte and I thought, 'Finally!' After so much losing, there is no way we won't make the playoffs. Well, you know what happened from there (9-7 and out of the playoffs)........

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2008 4:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm voting for Biden/Palin.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2008 10:39 PM

Thanks for hopping on the bandwagon.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 8, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

tcmullins, we only have 11 more games to play... unless you were including postseason games... in which case it's more like 14 or 15 games to play...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 8, 2008 5:52 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | October 7, 2008; 8:00 PM ET

Notice how the media gushed over the Giants for putting up big numbers on Seattle, but conveniently forgets that they barely made it to double digits against the 'Skins?

These next three are the games where the Skins need to beef up their statistics so that half the team goes to the Pro Bowl at the end of the season and Mr. Snyder has to write them all big bonus checks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

t_e, agreed on the need for speed the next three weeks. Let's harvest our nuts right now.

But to your other point, I don't think the Redskins or the Giants, the guys who matter, are going to forget that week one matchup.

The Skins will remember how doggone close it was -- as badly as they played early on, as dysfunctional as the offense was, that was a CLOSE game -- and how everyone dismissed them afterwards. So something akin to revenge will be on their minds when they play again.

The Jints will remember how poop-in-their-pants scared they were of taking a loss to open their title defense, how the hits got harder and the yards harder to come by as the game went on, how relieved they were when the final whistle blew. So something akin to fear will be in their hearts when they play again.

I'm just speculating, of course. But I am excited about the rematch on November 30.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 8, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

pound that drum Nate. Nov 30 is D-Day.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to look that far ahead. Factor in some quasi-normal attrition, and who knows what the two teams will look like then.
So, for this weekend, the challenge to me seems to be that we're about to face a team that's had a week off, maybe got a little healed up, and are playing for a new coach. If they are successful early, they'll start feeding off that. If someone punches them in the mouth quickly, Laron (not sayin', just sayin'), it could be a lot like the Detroit game last year.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

If they are successful early, they'll start feeding off that.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2008 7:57 AM |

They're in a can't win situation. If they're successful early, they'll remember how strongly the Redskins can come back and they'll freeze up. And if they fall behind early, then they're dead anyway.

When Haslett realizes this, he might not even bring his team to Washington, unless he thinks Ed Hochuli's crew is reffing and the outcome of the game is just random.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I am sure JLC wants Heyer not to come back and start since he gave the kid no credit last year.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 8, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I prefer the 'dead anyway' route. 36-0 would be a nice way to saunter into the bye week.

Posted by: daggar | October 8, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

The next 3 weeks is the perfect time to work the 3 new recievers into the offense, even if just one of them breaks out, it will be great for us and it will save some wear and tear on Moss and company

Posted by: Tappahannock | October 8, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I think that this weeks' game will give us a better feel for our team. Under Gibbs 2.0, and to some extent Gibbs 1.0, we always played down to the level of our opponent when playing weaker teams. This will be a good view of what kind of mental and intestinal fortitude our guys have. Truly good teams beat, and beat handily, the teams they are supposed to beat and with a stretch of 3 games coming up against clearly weaker clubs, how the Skins handle these units will give fans a real idea of what kind of team we will have down the stretch. I love our composure so far, particularly in the 4th quarter, and would like to see that kind of concentration and execution against weaker teams just like we've seen these glorious last four Sunday's.

Posted by: splitbill | October 8, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

In the Jansen vs. Heyer debate, I'm 100% behind Jansen. He just gets it done in the run game, you can't debate it. I rewatched the Philly game last night, and he didn't fare too poorly in pass protection either.

On a side note, WAY, WAY to early to talk playoffs, or super bowl or any of that stuff. I could also care less who big media thinks is the best team in the NFL. None of that amounts to a hill of horse-bleep at the end of the day. Just win the game this week, thats all that I want.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 8, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

beep beep y'all

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 8, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I am gonna go with whatever Coach wants to do and it sounds like Coach wants Heyer. To me its a draw between the two anyway. If you start Heyer, CP's numbers go down a little if you start Jansen JC's numbers go down a little.

I would still like to see JJ in on Goal formations though.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Here's an awesome story:

I can't wait to show my appreciation on Sunday at FedEx Field.

Hail.

Posted by: TeeSkins | October 8, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

A couple of unsung players on the Skins who have gone unmentioned on this blog:

A) Sean Suisham was 7 for 7 against Dallas and Philly the last two weeks. His FG's from 48 and 50 in the 1st half againt Philly were key in gaining us momentum. Not to mention he's consistently kicking the ball into the end zone and kickoff coverage has been very good. We could just as easily be 2-3 instead of 4-1 without him.

B) Mike Sellers blocking on offense has sprung Portis for long gains and TD's. The OL gets most of the credit, but Sellers does a lot of the dirty work that actually results in some of the big plays and TD's.

Our depth has alredy been tested quite a bit on the Defensive side of the ball with injuries to Taylor, Springs, and Washington missing at least two games. Subs like Evans, Smoot/Rogers, and H.B. Blades have stepped up and played well. This bodes well for later in the year when guys are dinged up and you need to have quality backups to rotate in and out.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I think the more telling stat is that we have missed the playoffs 4 times after going 4-1. That's what we should be focused on at this point.

Posted by: The_Doc | October 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse