Slide Isn't Child's Play for Cambell

Dan Steinberg reports:

Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell have joked frequently this season about the latter's inability to gracefully slide when he scrambles out of the pocket, with Zorn saying he plans to devise additional drills for the 6-foot-5 quarterback in the offseason. Sunday provided the latest cringe-worthy moment, when Campbell ran for nine yards late in the third quarter but slowed up as he neared the sidelines and was leveled by Eagles safety Brian Dawkins.

"I know how to slide, I just got caught off guard on the sideline, you know, and Dawkins hit me," Campbell said Wednesday. "I heard he was playing the guitar right afterwards. I remember running to the sideline, I saw [Chris] Cooley blocking a guy, so I'm like, 'Ok, I'll just ease up and get myself out of bounds.' Just as soon as I eased up, the next thing you know I was on my back. And I flipped the ball in the air and I'm running back on the field, acting like, 'Yeah, it didn't bother me.' But at the same time [I was thinking], you know, 'Man, coach, please call a running play.' You know? Just give me 30 seconds to recover."

In fact, the next two plays were both Clinton Portis runs, followed by a sack of Campbell. The quarterback, who has said he was a better slider earlier in his career, said the hit from Dawkins "felt good. It felt great. Every part of my body that was aching just ached a little bit more. Finally have a reason to see a masseuse three times a week in the offseason."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 25, 2008; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rinehart Expects to Sit Again
Next: Holiday Complicates Smith's Trip

Comments

Merry Christmas, Cindy.

Let me be the first to say that I'd rather see Chad Rinehart play on Sunday than an injured Jon Jansen.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 25, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It's all fun and games until JC gets "Culpeppered."

Merry Happys and all that jazz, Cyn.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 25, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Likewise, 4-12! We have a new word: Culpeppered.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I think I was Culpeppered by one of my professors in college...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

** Note to self **

Turn in vacation request forms early in '09 to avoid working on Christmas next year.

** End self reminder **

Posted by: 4-12 | December 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's a rookie HC who didn't get the best possible "vote of confidence" from the Vinnster Asst Vp Player Devel. And nothing from the owner/GM.

He isn't Joe Gibbs. I doubt that Joe would do that either. It doesn't seem fair to either the veterans who are out there playing for pride and for the rookies who would likely be treated less than kindly under those circumstances.

Singletary will be playing to win. And he will be playing hard. The possibility of serious injury increases exponentially if this is treated as a preseason game.

Then there is the notion of making the team attractive to both veterans FAs and talented draft picks. Without Joe Gibbs on the monicker that becomes far more difficult I should think. The players have heard enough about Snidely Owl and the Vinnster.

Posted by: periculum | December 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, same here. I'm on call this week. And no one from India Inc. will call me anyway ... missed a great vacation on the beach on Tybee Island with the family.

Of course here I am, on the beach, in front of my fireplace iin Cayucos.

I guess I'm spoiled. Except I really hate it when the Redskins lose ... ESPECIALLY to Dal-ASS and the Iggles. And I have no faith in superfan Snidely Owl and his "Igor" Vinnster.

** Note to self **

** End self reminder **

Posted by: periculum | December 25, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

""Same to you! Wouldn't you rather see Rinehart and all the kids, even if it meant 8-8?"

I wouldn't mind. But I think Dan Snyder might object. Plus judging by the sentiments expressed on these Boards all season, they'd be calling for the heads of Vinny and Zorn even more fervently than they already are.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 25, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As long as he doesn't get Theis-mangled by someone like
Suggs. I'll never forget the look on LT's face, his eyes after
he bent Theismann's leg in half and splintered it.

"It's all fun and games until JC gets 'Culpeppered.'"

Posted by: periculum | December 25, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Rhinehart has an entire preseason next year to prove his worth. It seems likely that by then, they will have shed some of the veteran talent on the offensive line. The offense did not have a good year.

I also suspect that Zorn will be asked to accept a new offensive coordinator to help him get the WCO working. I believe that Sherman Smith may be replaced. It seems like the kind of move
the Snidely Owl would make.

Posted by: periculum | December 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Jansen had little success preventing the Culpeppering of J.C. this season, even when he was healthy.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

At this point the safest bet might be to draft an OT like Samuels in the first round. Move Samuels to RT. Heyer as the "swing" man in Bugel's scheme. Hopefully, Rhinehart will move into a similar role between guard and tackle.

Given the dearth of success they have had with the draft maybe they should just entirely draft tackles/guards/centers after the 1st round. Hope that 1 or 2 out of 5 make it.

"In fact, we looked better last week (when he was out) against Philly's rush than we have ever since the Pittsburgh game."

Posted by: periculum | December 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Article on college football coaches...

Posted by: dboog | December 25, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

It's time for the Jason Campbell expierment to end. The guy is riding the "short bus" to practice. The term used by Zorn "simplify the offense" is code that Jas just doesn't get it.

He is slow to read and react to the defensive alignment and as a result he is late delivering the ball. The recievers that would be open are not because the defensive back has recovered from the receivers seperation move. He has been in the leauge 4 full seasons. The defensive reads are the same regardless of the changing offensive schemes.

SIGN MATT CASSELL if the Patriots don't franchise him.

Posted by: InsrnceAdm | December 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse