Skins-Seahawks: 'The Jasons' and DVOA

This weekend, Comcast SportsNet has a new episode of "The Jasons" and, my, the dudes do clean up nicely.

Doug Farrar of Football Outsiders fame has been doing something called Smarter Stats for us this fall on The League. Now, I won't lie: sometimes stats can make my hair hurt. But not these stats. Doug's DVOA matchup features Skins at Seahawks.

The real questions for Washington are internal, not opponent-based. Can the offense find balance again with or without Portis, and can Campbell regain the touch that made him the leader of a dangerous offense to start the season? As long as those can be answered in the affirmative, Jim Zorn should win this battle with his old mentor, going away.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 21, 2008; 5:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Week in TCCLs
Next: Countdown to Kickoff

Comments

+++Did slavery ever happen ? If so why don't JLC talk about it.

Posted by: poolman1200000 +++

Same reason Martha stewart doesn't talk about Nuclear Physics. It's not their yob, Schmuckk.

For those of you slow on the uptick, Poolman is a mentally challeneged racist white guy in search of contstant attention, which he gets by getting noticed at any cost--even hate toward him.

Since he's playing a "role" in his own mind, it doesn't hurt his feelings. One can almost visuallize him in his lonely basement, giggling over his cpmputer, shouting up to his Mom that he'll be up there for dinner "in a minute."

Posted by: TheCork | November 21, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 21, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

+++Comment Submission Error

Your comment submission failed for the following reasons:

Too many comments have been submitted from you in a short period of time. Please try again in a short while.
Return to the original entry.+++

POOLMAN's comments run as written...I get THIS....There is no Gawd.

Posted by: TheCork | November 21, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 21, 2008 5:34 PM

Uh-oh. I think this is my son. He says "I'm playing World of Warcraft." I'm going down right now to look at the screen. If he's reading Cork's post and snickering, he's in trouble.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 21, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

You guys gotta be kidding...The Skins to lose????? Cmon now, #4 defense, the Seachickens have a horribe offense//We can run...Zorn knows Hasselback ect. If we cant win this then what can we win?

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Not only do I think we will win this one but I believe we will win by 14.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 21, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

brother in law, who lives in Seattle, just hooked me up with tickets to the game. 50 yard line, 4 row from the field. I am a big time Redskins fan in Southern California. My first ever Redskin game!!!Can't wait.

Posted by: TheJury | November 21, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Jury where in So Cal are ya? Also Suzannepc...Im not nervous either, actually calm about it. I was nervous for Rams, but not Lions.

Poolman..Keep em comming

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 5:09 PM

I live in Corona, CA. I go to the bar to watch every single game. It's hardly on reguler TV here. They always have the Cowbabies on.

Posted by: TheJury | November 21, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Jasons, this is supposed to be reverse psychology, right?

I don't expect the Seahawks to just roll over, especially not in their own place, but they're a 2-8 team for a reason, and it's not like they've suddenly gotten back a bunch of key players and those players are at 100%. They've gotten back Hasselbeck and Branch, guys important for the Seahawks' success, but both guys are still playing hurt.

Current forecast for Sunday is 50 and cloudy. I'm not too worried about field condition. We're in the rainy season out here now, but we've had very little rain this week, save for a moderate amount yesterday. Might get a little bit here and there now through Saturday, but Saturday night is supposed to be mostly clear.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 21, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Jury.... drive up the toll road and hit Newport Beach location, a few Skins fans in here, lemme know if you want the addy

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Im with you JM... I think it will be a breakout game for Kelly. I know your not keen on JLC and I really dig his posts, but this on is a bit silly of his forcast.

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Tyler, sure. Give me the address and I will stop by sometime. It will be great to watch the game with some fans.

Posted by: TheJury | November 21, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

OK Ill be in DC for the Gints game, not gonna spend 500 on ticks...So Ill watch from a bar. AnyCool Skins bars in Geogetown area..

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Goodness, you'd think the Redskins were one of the worst teams in the league watching that....

Seattle is 2-8 for a reason. Maybe they WILL beat the Skins, but I seriously doubt it. This is a lame duck team who knows it has a lame duck coach, and it just lost its best pass rusher for the year in Kerney.

Why would JLC say if Hasslebeck gets the same kind of time as Romo, it will be a long day? Truth is, Romo had all that time...and produced 14 points, with a much better cast of talent around him.

The biggest question around the Skins is their ability to go downfield. If they can do that at all, and protect Campbell at all, they'll win.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 21, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Jury....

Classic Q

Add: 4250 Martingale Way
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Phone: 949-261-9458
Fax: 949-261-1065

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm sayin we win by 10 or the two worry warts are right.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 21, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how bad the Hawks are, the SKins lost to the Rams..One advantage though is that Zorn knows Hasselback better than anybody but Holmgren, so hopefully it will show on Sun.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 21, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

There a few valid points of you have made, but the slavery issue still haven't been addressed. Some how I wanted to seduce all the white people with kindness. JLC have given me a forum to bring notice to the racial divide on forums around the world. Thanks JLC for the opportunity to express my feeling towards the race issue thats instilled in many "ANGRY WHITE MEN" in VA. My heart goes out to the 99.9 % of people who comment here.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 21, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Jury & Tyler84101,

The best Redskins bar in CA is in San Diego. A place called Winstons. Really hard core group of about 100 - 150 skins fans. They give out free shots when the skins score (which was my best indicator that our Offense has been stinking it up like last year). And they play go-go music during commercials.

Let me know if you want the address.

Cheers,
Craig

Posted by: cprob001 | November 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn Craig that sound awesome..Love free shots..Even if its one per game... SD is a bit far to drive for me though, but if Im in town Im there!!!

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Poolman = George Wallace in Drag

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 21, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse
___________________________

... or in blackface....

Posted by: Xlnt | November 21, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Ryan Phillipe picked Skins over the Seahawks on NFL Network, so take that Jlac and other Jason!!!

Posted by: Tyler84101 | November 21, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Why do you guys keep responding to the **&^man, he's getting one on you every time you do. His apparent only point in life is to irritate people into stupid and pointless conversation here

wow, just wow... craig2 (if that is your real name), just what the heck other type of conversation do we have up here?

NOW POOLMAN, I WANT TO HELP WITH THE RENT. CAN YOU TELL ME WHO ENSLAVED YOU AND I WILL GARNISH THEIR WAGES UNTIL YOU ARE MADE WHOLE.

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Skins will win this Sunday! Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas each catch TD passes in a romp. 31-14

Posted by: BC1963 | November 21, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

So the 2 beat reports for the post predict a Skins loss. Have you watched the Seahawks play or was the last time the playoff game. The Skins are going to control the clock hit a few big plays and win the game by going for it on 4th down with a pass to Kelly.

Posted by: phatem | November 21, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

How about this line:
D. Thomas 4 catches, 49 yds., 1 TD
M. Kelly 6 catches, 103 yds., 1 TD
C. Horton 1 INT 32 yards, 1TD
and in a surprise move
C. Rinehart 1 carry, 97 yards, 1TD

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

JLC keeps saying if we give Hasselbeck as much time as we gave Romo that he will just pick us apart all day. I dont dispute that we really have no pass rush and that really hurts us but even with all the time we gave Romo its not like he mangled our defense by any means, they scored 14 pts!! and I think its safe to say Dallas o is a hell of a lot better than Seattle's, so why assume that Hasselbeck would do much better if he has a ton of time. Dont get it, anyways Skins 27 Seahawks 10. F Starbucks

Posted by: MadDog20201 | November 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

funny....I had that same premonition for Chad Rhinehart

Must be something to it

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | November 21, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

4th, that's messed up!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 21, 2008 3:19 PM

What does this respond to?

Posted by: dcsween | November 21, 2008 3:22 PM

It is a response to hold up...

***Fantasy Post****

Ok, I saw Dealer picked up felix Jones and called him out on it. He was taliking some crap about auto draft and he had no choice.

So I then basically said that's what he deserved (for having a cowboy on his team) because felix jones just was put on IR.

***End Fantasy Post***

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 21, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

A link to Brian Billick on the Redskins and the scripting of plays.

Posted by: TWISI | November 21, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Team Obliterater is warming up to implode the cowgirls and the shame is that we did not do more to help him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 21, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Is this wrong of me: everytime I see Miley Cyrus, I expect to hear "But Willburr..."?

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm sayin we win by 10 or the two worry warts are right.
Posted by: _Stumped_1

My Main Man, good to see ya go out on a limb. Or should I say two limbs?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | November 21, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I never watch the videos on principle.

But did both Jasons really pick the Skins to lose?

Posted by: p1funk | November 21, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

those two know as much about football as Larry Michael does so who cares about their prediction.

Posted by: MadDog20201 | November 21, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how Zorn acts outwardly, inside he's angry/embarrassed by back to back losses at home on national TV.

The offensive playbook will display some nifty curves on Sunday, and the Skins win this game walking away.

Washington 38, Seattle 17

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Kelly had a GREAT REP in college as a downfield blocker. I don't care so much if he catches a lot of balls, I want to see him spring another receiver for RAC.

Let's hope the kid's ailments are over, and not chronic.

Posted by: TheCork | November 22, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Redskin's are 6-1 in day games; 0-3 in night games. They're 3-1 on the road, 5-3 in the conference and 1-1 against the NFC West. Also 2-1 on turf. Although, they have yet to play in the west coast, they are 1-1 against road nfc foes on the road. So do all these meaningless stats give them a 69% chance of winning?

Posted by: bangkokben | November 22, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

That should say 1-1 against road nfc foes on turf.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 22, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Currently, the 'skins have the last wild-card spot by the tie-breaker procedures and control their own 'destiny' against Dallas.

Both the 'skins and cowboys are 2-2 in the division and 3-3 in common games. The 'skins advantage is then with the better conference record, 5-3 to 4-4.

Both will face the Giants and Eagles one more time and all remaining six games are against common opponents.

Dallas' remaining games are against: 49ers, Seahawks, Pitt, NY, B'more, and the Eagles; while the 'skins play Seattle, NY, B'more, Cincy, Philly, and the 49ers. Despite Pitt being much better then the Bengals, the timing of playing NY in week 15 is a big advantage because winning the divisional games are key to the tie-breakers and Giants may have the division wrapped up by then.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 22, 2008 4:10 AM | Report abuse

Even if the Giants lose road games to the Cardinals, 'skins, and 'boys and the cowboys and Redskins run the table leaving all with 12-4 records, the Giants would still win the division. How?

G-men, boys and skins split the head to head, all are square within the division at 4-2, have an equal record of 10-4 against common foes, and then the 'skins and Giants would be tied with a 9-3 conference record (Dallas would be out at 8-4).

The next tie-breaker is strength of victory - which would then be determined by the the total numbers of wins of opponents. In this scenario the Giants would get the wins of the Rams, Steelers, Panthers, and Vikings while the skins get the wins of the Saints, Cardinals, Browns and Lions.

So the Giants have won the division unless they make a monumental collapse and lose five of their next six.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 22, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

38-7 skins

Posted by: FAB88 | November 22, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who sees the C*wb*ys slipping up this week? No reason, I just feel it in my bones.

Hopefully, a severed pinkie bone!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | November 22, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Look...by no means do I consider myself a Redskins homer.

That having been said...I find it hard to believe that both Jasons think that the Skins will lose this week ?? I agree, Matt Hasselbeck is a good QB and if he has time he can do things...however...to totally ignore the fact that Seattle has been playing like ass the whole season is irresponsible. They have had horrible secondary play, their best pass rusher is out, so-so running game with J Jones, spare part WR's ...EVEN with a healthy Deion Branch. And they BOTH think we will lose???

Once again, according to the Post, all of the problems are on our side of the ball. The other team is the second coming of the 72 Dolphins. The other team has no issue to deal with...OTHER than their 2 best players. (One out for the season , the other returning from injury and is still gimpy.) BUT that is totally ignored.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe on Sunday night I will be up here crying in my Bacardi about how the season is over. But I can't see how they both can say this?

Posted by: cej75024 | November 22, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

C. Rinehart 1 carry, 97 yards, 1TD

Posted by: daggar | November 21, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Does he run for those 97 yards or just walk all the way for the TD??

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | November 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

LaCanfora and Reid are like the light beer version of Kornheiser and Wilbon

Posted by: cej75024 | November 22, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

This is the "Bride of Rams" game. No way we should lose, which is why we will. Another yawner from JC and Zorn. 'Hawks go sack-happy in this one; Jason stands in there and gets hit...a lot. A late TD in the final moments makes the score seem more respectable than the game is.

Seattle 17
Washington 13

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 22, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Daggar, I have a bloody mary that needs garnishing.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 22, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hope I end up being wrong, but this game will prove why Zorn was a risky/questionable hire as offensive coordinator.

Last week's game was a lot like the Hall of Fame game, except the third string didn't come into the lineup after half-time.

Zorn seems to game-plan only the first offensive series, then it's pretty much 'what you will' from there on out, with a bit of poor clock management thrown in.

Posted by: Xlnt | November 22, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

WOW it didn't take long for some to go after Zorn.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 22, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Washington 38, Seattle 17

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Unless we see some straight-up Wildcat, I don't see any new wrinkles working UNLESS we take some deep stabs early on.

The book is out on how to stop this offense: Crowd the line of scrimmage and bring pressure - teams know that we never go deep and we have pass block issues. Defenses have no reason to back off of the line of scrimmage. This puts their DBs and LBs in a position to get into the backfield and disrupt reverses, pitches or WR screens.

Against Dallas we tried a couple of lame WR screens and we tried a reverse option to Randle El. On that play, Randle El got the ball and promptly chukced it out of bounds because there was a Dallas defender in his face 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

THERE ARE NO NEW WRINKLES THAT WILL WORK UNTIL WE THROW DEEP!!!

Posted by: p1funk | November 22, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought there were more than 2 wide receiver screens in that game, p1funk.

Or was it the results of those plays were so poor, it seemed like more than 2?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 22, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Hello Again Everyone,
Can someone help me, please?

I no longer live in the DC area as I once did always reading the Post and Watching local DC TV.

Last season I watched "Redskins Report" w/ George Michael, Sonny, Riggo and Wilbon / Walker.

However, this season I cannot find it on WRC 4, web site.
Friends still in the DC area tell me the show is still being broadcast weekly.

Anyone care to show me / send me the link how I can watch each week?

Thanks, sure appreciate it!
HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 22, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Zorn is a bad coach at all. It's just his first crack at it and he's bound to have his learning curve issues like anybody else. The team was too high after the Eagles game (hard to blame them), and they haven't come close to that balance of emotion and physicality since. It's a shame to see such an effort from Portis this season go to waste. A win here, coupled with a loss by Philly on both Sunday and Thursday could really help their chances. 'Skins really need to have Jason put this team on his back for this one and win it big with his arm. He's got the talent and the strength; he just needs to want to bad enough.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 22, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

RedskinRay, Redskins Report with George Michael is still very much on. The show airs every Saturday night on NBC4 at 7:00 pm followed by The Jim Zorn Show (also with George Michael and Sonny).

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Schroeder12 | November 22, 2008 1:28 PM

This is exactly what the 'Skins shouldn't do. His talent and strength weren't enough against Dallas and they won't be against any other team. It's not a matter of "wanting it bad enough" -- he already wants it bad enough. It's a matter of the people around him playing better than they have been.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 22, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I notice that it seems like no matter how bad a team is that they always play their A-game against the Skins? If there are injuries to their major players, they seem to recover and start playing well against the Skins? (I've noticed this over the past few years.)

Outside of dropped passes - missed blocking assignments, blown coverage, fumbled snaps, etc. by the other teams just seem to be at a very minimum against the Skins.

Anyone else notice this?
(If not, this is your assignment for the rest of the season! ;-)

Posted by: charley42 | November 22, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Charley42, the cowgirls made tons of mistakes against the Skins last Sunday night.

How about two interceptions after the Skins went up 7-0 in the first quarter?

How about five cowgirl penalties, some of which ended Dallas drives?

We lost the game the same way we lost to Pittburgh: despite a fine early start, we crumbled when the other team put most of its defense on the line of scrimmage and started blitzing.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that other teams don't make mistakes. What I am saying is that when you compare the other team's other games, overall they seem to play much better against the Skins. (As an example, Detroit played one of their best games against us.)

Posted by: charley42 | November 22, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

John Corcoran;'s redskin column at Redskins.Com

Easing the Pain of a Dallas Loss

Let me put the Redskins loss to Dallas into perspective.
Just before bedtime two nights before the game, I looked out my window. In the distance, on the mountains on the far side of the San Fernando Valley, I saw a color different from what I'm used to seeing. Distant lights tend to be whitish and twinkly on clear nights like this one, lighter than the shade I was seeing….

Continued at:

NFLDraftdog.com

Posted by: TheCork | November 22, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 22, 2008 1:31 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good Grief, Lisa, I'm not asking is the show still broadcast.
I displayed I'm well aware it is broadcast.
I'm asking can anyone find it on line?
I watched it last year, but haven't this season because it is no longer listed on WRC 4 web site.

Anyone know if it's available somewhere on line?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 22, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I've seen them pop up on video.google.com every once in a while, but I haven't seen an official site for either show.

Posted by: daggar | November 22, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Omg 4th!!! He was auto drafted!!! I dropped him to pick up Harrison and arrington but if you want him that bad I'll drop him again so you can pick him up...

Btw they really need to auto drop ir players...anyways I need to find me a rb...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 22, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I can say the same thing about Dallas when the 4skins went down there!
Cambell is a fraud!

Posted by: Dfan | November 22, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Jason goes as the team goes man. When are people going to get it. It is the same thing with every one, the team goes with Moss and the others. When the team plays well Jason will play well. He is not a QB that can carry a team, end of story. He needs the support of a line and WRs. The skins can't get Kelly on the field soon enough. The only hope is that he is able to be of some value while Moss is still of some value. I love Randle El but facts are facts and he is worth very little. Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 22, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

A link to Brian Billick on the Redskins and the scripting of plays.

Posted by: TWISI | November 21, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

This links to the Bennett TD play. All I can see when I watch this is Landry is clearly not Taylor. Even if Taylor couldn't have gotten there in time he would have made Bennett wish he had never caught the ball.

Listening to him talk about it feeling like he made such a great play only left me with the feeling that Sean would have cleaned him out. In his 4 years he has a bigger highlight reel than any other NFL player. RIP and we all miss you Sean.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 22, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep. wake up people.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 23, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse