Smith: I'll Always Remember McNair's Toughness

Sherman Smith, the Redskins' offensive coordinator, was the Tennessee Titans' longtime running backs coach and was with Steve McNair, who was shot to death today in Nashville, from his rookie season with the Titans:

"From the first day he came in, you could definitely tell he was a very talented young man. I think it was the third year he became the starter and you could just see his work ethic. You could see the talent, but he worked hard at it. He competed. You always stood a chance 'cause he was on the field. There wasn't a throw that you didn't think he could make. It didn't make any difference what was going on. We always thought he could bring us back. I think he loved the challenge of bringing us back if we were down and he did that so many times for us that he lived up to what he expected from himself.

"The main thing I'll always remember about him is his toughness. I have never been around a player as tough as Steve McNair. There were so many games he shouldn't have played - that most guys wouldn't have played - that Steve McNair played. The joke that used to go around [among Titans coaches] is that if he's breathing, he's going to play. Even if he didn't practice all week, he'd always wink at you and say, 'You know I'm going to be there on Sunday. Don't worry about it.' That's what he brought to us. He brought the leadership. He brought the toughness. He was the leader of the team and he led by example. He didn't say a lot. He didn't do a lot of talking. But when he talked, everybody listened."

By Jason Reid  |  July 4, 2009; 8:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell: Losing a Guy Like McNair Hurts
Next: Hall's Monday Specials and a Football Camp

Comments

Heartbreaking news, just stunning.

Thanks for the terrific coverage, Reid and company.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | July 4, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Terrible. First instinct says wrong time wrong place like #21. From App. St. to the pro bowl. RIP McNair.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | July 4, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

One of my all-time favorites. Had that Jackie Robinson, you-can't-make-me-get-angry quality about him -- a stoic.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 4, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Tough man.

Tough loss.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

This certainly sucks. The facts seem to point to a relationship between the two and a boyfriend coming home.....

Posted by: toohoes | July 5, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Facts point to murder-suicide by the female. McNair multiple gunshots. Her one gunshot and gun found next to her body. Police not looking for suspect.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 5, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

At least from what I have read sounds like murder-suicide...tragic.

Posted by: The_Spear | July 5, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

This is payback for every loser Ravens fan I know who thought it was funny to mock the great Sean Taylor's death. The next time I hear someone tell me the Skins would be good next year if Sean Taylor wasn't out for the season with a leg injury, I am definitely bringing up this Mcmoron and his mistress. I think the most likely suspect at this point has to be Ray Lewis in another limo driveby.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse

This is payback for every loser Ravens fan ...

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 1:48 AM

Hopefully you'd been drinking too much last night when you wrote this vile trash. Murder isn't "payback" for anything. Payback would be if the Redskins beat the Ravens on the field. This is a senseless waste of a good father and a good man.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 5, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

"This is payback for every loser Ravens fan I know who thought it was funny to mock the great Sean Taylor's death."

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 1:48 AM

Really Boss?Hey man jokes is jokes and I l ove a good chuckle as well as the next guy,but this aint the time or the place for such garbage.

Posted by: smittdiddy | July 5, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

bosshog7169=complete a$$ clown

take that trash somewhere else.

Posted by: buke | July 5, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Truly sad. My friend texted me that he died last night. I thought maybe an old sports related injury gone wrong, never dreamed anything so horrific.

As a player McNair had a lot of Jason Campbell like aspects to him, and was the type of QB I think we are hoping 17 could become, he could play strong in the pocket and was not afraid of the hit, knew how to use his legs, and he was a leader.

From all accounts he sounded like a good guy. Tragic.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 5, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh did i type that last night? Haha. Maybe a little harsh but I am tired of everybody crying when these celebrities die. Were you all best friends or something? Thousands of people died yesterday on this planet, but I'm supposed to feel really sad because one of them played football and his mistress shot him? When you buy a newspaper, do you start crying if you accidentally flip past the obituary page, or is it only when famous people die that you're supposed to act pretentious? I never liked this guy and I couldn't care less.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

bossh: "is it only when famous people die that you're supposed to act pretentious? I never liked this guy and I couldn't care less."

Just curious -- what is it you didn't like about him? I always found him sort of admirable in an old-school way.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 5, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey Boss when your mom,wife or one of your kids passes away,make sure you let us know so we can leave you some kind words of "condolences",afterall it shouldnt matter what we write about them because we dont know them,right?Idiot.

Posted by: smittdiddy | July 5, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Truly sad and tragic.....

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 5, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 9:29 AM |

When you write, "I couldn't care less" you're a liar because in fact you're taking a lot of pleasure from his murder and the grief that it has caused others. You're a sociopath.

And your view is? Mourn the thousands who died but hate on the famous? Why not mourn them all?

You're not a boss and you're not a hog.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 5, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like don't break up with your 20yo girlfriend after she gets popped for DUI with you in the front seat because you don't want you wife to find out.

Shame, he seemed like a nice human being

Also Alcorn St not App St is where he played

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 5, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Barry's attorney, Frederick D. Cooke Jr., said last night that he had heard a "rumor" that Barry had been detained or arrested. Cooke said he had just returned from watching fireworks and was trying to "find out what's going on."

Barry, a former D.C. mayor, is known for his brushes with the law during a long career in politics and civic activism.
****
Only in DC!

If you or I were caught on tape smoking crack it wouldn't be termed, "brushes with the law" give me a break.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | July 5, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of replays of college football games on, if you have the directv sports package.

Mark Herzlich--olb, Bost Coll., is an impressive player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 5, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 5, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 1:48 AM

Sir, you are on your own with your satanic view of the dead. Remember what you said today, tomorrow may be your turn.
Rest in perfect peace Air McNair, you will be missed.

Posted by: abxinc | July 5, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interview with the girlfriend's sister. And, a better picture of the girlfriend than the police mugshot that's on most websites.

Very sad. What a mess.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And now they've posted photos of McNair and Sahel Kazemi: http://www.tmz.com/

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 5, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

You are right TE, what a mess. the more info that comes out seems to point to murder suicide... curious to see what all the facts are..something still seems a little off

Posted by: toohoes | July 5, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"Mark Herzlich--olb, Bost Coll., is an impressive player.Posted by: MistaMoe "

Yes he is, and let's hope he has some luck with the cancer. I can't recall another case of Ewing's sarcoma in the news. Apparently it was malignant but confined to the original groin site, so his chances are better than if it had metastasized.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This ranks the top rookies, mostly based on expected impact this year. Orakpo is 11th. More interesting are the guys ranked 2nd and 7th on the list, the new WRs for the jints and iggles.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"This ranks the top rookies, mostly based on expected impact this year."

Very interesting. Nicks and Maclin are expected to start, of course, on strong teams with championship-caliber QBs, so it makes sense they'll get the most opportunities for success. NY really needs the help at WR, and a lot of media types expect Philly to be the NFC champ and lose to the Pats in the Super Bowl. Orakpo may start if he has a really good camp, or play situationally for a while.

Rankings don't mean much, obviously, outside of being interesting reading.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

He was claiming that he was leaving his wife, this thing is gonna get sticky and I want no part of it.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 5, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 5, 2009 9:29 AM

I should've known that it was only a matter of time I'd read some f'n bs like this, and with tomorrow being Monday it'll only be worse.

You... are a dumb a**hole! How about showing some gd respect for the deceased? Regardless, of what his martial status was, or whatever else, I'm almost sure it doesn't warrant death, you ass. If you don't want to express sympathy or offer condolences, I respect that. No one thinks you're entitled to. But to take the man's death and try and spin it to a weak, retarded, and overall classless joke is just pathetic on your part. Then to try and defend it, just proves that you're f'n scum.

Something really f'd up will happen to you. Karma, or "what goes around, comes around" is very real. Oh, you'll see...

It's mf's like YOU, that give people no faith in other people in this world. It's mf's LIKE YOU that has me wondering: How in the hell could it be more good people in the world than evil? I personally don't think it is, and this junk just underlines that sediment.

Expressing your sympathy and sorrow for the current situation has nothing to do with being "best friends or something?", it's called humility, and obviously who ever raised your sorry ass instilled NONE of it in YOU!

You know there are special places reserved in hell for the likes of you. I hope and pray that you'd never feel what the McNair/Kazemi family must be feeling today.

I would go as low as you and wish death to you and yours, but then I'd be sinking to your level of complete and utter garbage.

And one more thing: There isn't anything proving that his mistress/girlfriend shot him. How do you know it wasn't covered up to look like a murder-suicide?

Get you f'n facts straight.

Aside from that, I hope everyone had a fun safe weekend.

R.I.P. Steve McNair

Posted by: RedDMV | July 5, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

If bosshog is an example of a Redskins fan, I'll start rooting for the Cowboys!

(Just kidding of course, just wanted to point out what an idiot he (or it) is.)

Posted by: briandownunder | July 5, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins fans IQ = average 120
Boss hog IQ= Dallas Cowboys IQ= 21

Posted by: abxinc | July 5, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

If you want more coverage of McNair's murder, the best source seems to be the Nashville Tennessean website. They've got a long interview with the family of Sahel Kazemi, pictures from her facebook account, and pictures of McNair's house. You can buy a lot of house for $3 million in Nashville.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 6, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

"Orakpo may start if he has a really good camp, or play situationally for a while."

"...may start...?"

"...play situationally...?"

C'mon: get the guy on the field from day one.

The team had needs at right tackle and strongside linebacker.

And tackle was the position where a guy could've been drafted, allowed to sit behind Heyer/Samuels, and be groomed to play later.

But the team didn't draft a tackle. It took on a player at a position that's pretty much based on instinct and tenacity: linebacker.

Like LaRon Landry and Sean Taylor, Brian Orakpo will show up to August practices ready to play. The transition for defensive players isn't the same as offensive players.

Let's get him on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 6, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry - not buying it.

I'll chalk this up to the same category as:

MJ's Dad
Cosby's Kid
Versace

Somebody wanna look at what his tab was w/ Vegas or somethin'?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

MOe, I agree w/ getting him on the field.

But only put him at LB if he's got someone coverin' his back.

I don't want to see him get burned coverin' Westbrook outta tha flat. lol.

How was everyone's 4th?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Happy monday, hope everyone had an enjoyable 4th.

sometimes, people wear their ignorance like a badge of honor...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Hey, they say it's blissful. How's it feel to u? hehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Happy monday, hope everyone had an enjoyable 4th.

sometimes, people wear their ignorance like a badge of honor...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Usually that badge is a silver and blue star on the side of your head. bosshog7169 was the exception that proves the rule.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

wasn't talking to you dik, was referring to the clown above, bosshog....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

What a strange mix heading off to the promised land. Now Robert McNamara joins the queue waiting for an interview at the Pearly Gates. What are they talking about while they wait for their turn?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 6, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

McNair's Death = Very Shocking/sad/tragic IMHO.

Reading the circumstances, I would like to hold off on the murder-suicide thing until police complete their investigation......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

4th, I think in one of the links to the Tennesseean, the police said that the public is in no immediate danger, and that they're not looking for a suspect....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I heard that too. And believe it. It still could have been a isolated incident involving McNair and not murder/suicide and the public would not have to worry....

This is just too wierd to comprehend. The mistress seems too innocent 'looking' from the pics I saw of them on vacation and from what her sister/cousin has said. But, they did have that DUI ordeal a few days earlier....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I feel ya, Beannie. That one is beyond ignorant to the point of 'willfully so'.

s'all good. I have to admit to plenty of ignorance myself though.

Part of our price for living in this society, I think...Probably the only way I made it through the end of the cold war.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Agree that Orakpo should be on the field for us from the 1st defensive snap of the year…..let’s hope that they get him signed and into camp on time……has anyone heard if they have been signing any more of the draft picks?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | July 6, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

moe, can you call off the dogs, I go on a mini vacation and come back to you guys being 1 game back???

Agreed on Osackpo, put him on the field, let him hit people.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

...wouldn't be the first time police contact was used to track somebody.

Hey - let's stop that track of conjecture before it gets US in trouble... lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Let the cops figure out what happened, rather than speculating on the murder.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah - I trust them, Al. Do you? hehe.

Oh & thanks to the District's Finest who sent me, Mrs. Shuttle & the 15yr. old niece down MAINE ave. at 10:30 pm after the fireworks instead of letting me go down Independence Ave towards L'Enfant Metro... reeeeaaall helpful. That's all we needed after the lovely (however, too short) show - rotten warf garbage, hookers and the fear of imminent jacking.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm sick of whitewashing people's lies and misdeeds because they've just died. I understand having respect for the dead, but I also believe in respect for the living.

Every comment about "What a great father" he was must be like a knife twisting in the back of his poor wife. That is just disrespectful to her and her kids. Great fathers don't cheat on their wives. He made a terrible, immoral and hurtful choice that resulted in getting him killed. OWN THAT. Talk about what a great football player he was, fine, but don't pretend the guy was Mother Theresa.

This is such a far cry from what happened to ST it's not even funny.

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I live in that neighborhood. Ironically, the only crime problem this weekend was illegal fire works at midnight. PS Waterfront area of SW is arguably the safest place to live in the city.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

No one is speculating. Just saying let's not keep pimping murder/suicide. The police are being quiet for a reason. And that is they know waaay more than we know about this whole situation....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

4th, sounds like we are in agreement more or less and just arguing semantics.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

No offense, Al, but we coulda done w/o the streetwalkers.

Sorry you gotta live by that smell. What exactly IS that, anyway?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

PS Waterfront area of SW is arguably the safest place to live in the city.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 9:46 AM

I would say the Mansions in Rock Creek Park are the safest, but the least populated as well.....

Dik - 4th of July is one of those 'real good' nights for the street walkers, so that is prob a reason they were out in force all over the city.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I was speculating, 4th.

I have a developed distrust for official law-enforcement positions after the Versace fiasco in Miamuh.

I believe there's a long line of evidence connecting them with organzied crime, Mr. Bulger.

That don't mean I don't like cops. I just don't buy the stories.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

4th,
I am just going by the low amount of crime reported according to the DCP List serve my GF gets.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Just got finished watching the Marion Barry News Conference. He has a good lawyer.......

Alex - I'll go with your GF stats. Mine is just from eyeballing.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"I would never put my wife and kids in a situtation like that. If the marriage is over, divorce her and get a fresh start. And what kind of a woman dates a man she knows is married? This is such a far cry from what happened to ST it's not even funny. Posted by: McMetal"

You're right, of course, but that's a mighty big stone you're casting, McMetal. Hope there's no plate glass windows nearby.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 6, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Additional details and a new figure has entered the fray - On again off again boyfriend. Her parents were killed in Iran. And McNair's wife is beautiful.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

mistamoe: "And besides, the transition for defensive players isn't the same as offensive players."

Doesn't have to be. If he's never played LB (meaning he's not spent time backpedaling or running sideways, but has been in a 3 point stance), he'll still have a considerable learning curve. Maybe not as much as a QB or a WR, but a curve nonetheless.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 6, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Shuttle would definitely condone the shooting on grounds of infidelity. Luckily Mr. Shuttle knows to zip it! lmao.

And I definitely think you quit the one before you start the other. It solves so many problems.

Of course we all know the safest is Japanime Dolls.... [:-o ...creeeepy...

btw - in honor of Kalishnikov's Anniversary

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 9:47 AM

4th, if it were you or me, this would have been ruled a murder-suicide yesterday at the latest. The police are dragging it out because a prominent person is involved and they want to dot and cross everything.

Only on movies and television do people commit murder and make it appear as a murder-suicide. Ask yourself how the perpetrator(s) did it without evidence of a struggle of some kind. They certainly would have had to forcefully hold her while they were killing the man she loved. You don't think she just stood there to be shot in the temple?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 6, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

That is some Naivete right there... lol.

You don't know what the evidence is. You don't know who's trying to cover up what.

Like I've said, I've seen it happen before. Mr. Bulger always got away... I'm not saying crimes of passion don't happen, but following the $$ isn't a bad idea.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 6, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

That may be true LH, but I, personally, would feel the same way if given the same circumstances of a non-celebrity person I knew and said person had a lot of money and enemies as it seems McNair does as his closet is getting cleaned out......

And I have a particular distrust when it comes to either the Police, Doctors, and Media. I tend to question what they are or not telling us with regularity...

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Dik, I am not going to argue with you about this. What you posit is absolutely silly under the circumstances but I will let you run with it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

the only person barry might've been stalking is THAT WHITE GIRL.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | July 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"Obviously you wouldn't argue he deserved to get shot because he was cheating on his wife. I doubt even most ex-wives would agree with that. Who knows what the state of their marriage was like? I'm sure there'll be one of those long magazine profiles in SI or the Sunday supplement some day. I won't bother to read it, because I only ever thought of him as a football player, and a really, really admirable one."

Agreed, the guy was totally admirable as a professional. I don't dislike him at all. Just think there is often a rush to canonize celebrities when they pass and not acknowledge their flaws. Obviously it's a lot worse with a guy like Michael Jackson than McNair, who by all accounts was not a bad person, but nonetheless acted less than honorably and died in a sordid, scandalous manner that ill befitted his previous reputation.

Not at all worried about throwing a stone like that. My life is complicated enough with a wife and 2 kids. I don't have the inclination, time, money or interest in messing around. More importantly, I love and respect my family too much to put them through something like that.

Soapbox rant over.

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I distrust scales, and mirrors....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 6, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

samson

(On Orakpo)
"They should put him on the field, definitely. But at the SAM, expectations have to be different."

True.

But I think if he's put in a position where he's just doing run support/rushing the passer/jamming a tight end on the line--all the basic responsibilities of a SAM linebacker, he'll be fine.

The question for the the redskins is, will Orakpo the rookie play slb better than HB Blades, the vet?

I'll take my chances with the rookie on that one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I think there is a standard list of people you talk to in any murder investigation. Wife, The Ex-Boyfriend, should both be on that list. The news is that McNair had a carry permit and the gun was probably his.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

bean

Call off the dogs?

Naw, the Yanks went to sleep playing the interleague dogs of the NL East (Wash./Fla./Mets) and lost a few before recovering to win 9 out of 10.

And what's up with Wakefield the All Star?

And yes: Youk is a better player than Tex.

And how does the media condemn steriod cheats, but then turnaround and give Manny Ramirez coverage like he was a famous guy who has been found dead?

Manny being Manny? No: more like the media being slurpalistic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

mcmetal: "My life is complicated enough with a wife and 2 kids. I don't have the inclination, time, money or interest in messing around. More importantly, I love and respect my family too much to put them through something like that."

Well, you have my admiration, too, then.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The main thing that irks me is the guy who originally found the 2 called McNair's best friend/Securtiy Detail; who then went over to the house and called the police almost an hour after the bodies were found....

To me that's strange and irresponsible......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Very tragic news as McNair seemed to be a family man.....obviously, he had some issues going on with his marriage that we didn't know about. My heart goes out to his 4 sons who will have to live without their father and his wife. It made me think of Sean Taylor's passing and soon as I heard the news.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

As for McNair, none of us has any idea what arrangement or understanding he had about this with his wife. The facts that he had his own condominium and that he'd taken Sahel on several trips where they were seen together publicly implies that his wife was aware of what was happening. She may not have been happy, but it's not clear that there was any subterfuge.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 6, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 6, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

On the link provided above(Originally provided by 4th), it states his wife is devastated and had no idea about the affair. Now she could be lying, but it doesnt look that way.

Couple that with the stories that McNair was telling the girl he had divorce papers in with the court already, which he didnt, it seems like his wife probably didnt know.
But who really knows all of the facts.

"She's blindsided by this," one source said of Mechelle McNair, who was holed up in her family's home just 6 miles from the condo her husband used to bed his mistress. "She's crushed. Her whole world is shattered."

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | July 6, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if it was on purpose but one the "crime" channels had a bunch of back-to-back episodes where one spouse killed the other and then tried to make it look like someone else did it (SODDI defense) or an accident.

The forensic people where able to unravel what happened in each case. I think the science is outstripping ability to stage a crime these days. Cell phones and computers are just treasure troves of information.

So it probably was just a murder-suicide

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Some guys can say that right up until they meet the right hottie, the one who knows just how to put the bait on the hook and wiggle it provocatively in front of the fish."

Fair enough. But a wise man knows the easiest way to resist temptation is to avoid it.

DON'T go out to bars without your wife.
DON'T flirt with women at your office.
Etc etc

It's really not that hard. Just avoid putting yourself into a situation where something bad could happen.

4th - I agree w/your point 100%. Who walks in on 2 dead bodies and doesn't call 911 IMMEDIATELY?

Posted by: McMetal | July 6, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Steve: Sorry about letting you go to jail the other night? But it's not the right time for this all to come out;

Sahel: What do you mean? Aren't you divorcing her?

Steve: well, it's more complicated than that. There's all that money and the kids, you it's hard.

Sahel: You lying b..tard, Boom-Boom, Boom-Bom

Or something along those lines

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 6, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

You def need some options at SAM and someone has got to have Fletcher's back at middle too, if he is injured or just needs to catch a breath. I guess that guy is Blades.

So even if you wanted Blades to play SAM, you gotta hope that Orakpo can play SAM too.

And really the more of that versatility you have on D, the more different schemes and looks you can give, which can keep the opposing teams guessing.

I don't really know how many games the Skins will win, but I can hardly wait to see this defense hit the field, cause when they do, the field will say: Ouch, that hurts, please stop.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 6, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It is sad for all involved. A clear example of "sin begets sin".....

Posted by: CMBC1 | July 10, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse