Smith is NFC special teams player of week

Redskins punter/touchdown passer and scorer Hunter Smith has been named NFC special teams player of the week, the NFL has announced.

Smith, in case you've forgotten, threw the first pass of his career and hit Mike Sellers for a 35-yard TD on a fake field-goal attempt (he is the holder for Shaun Suisham) in the Redskins' 27-17 victory over Denver on Sunday.

He also scored on an 8-yard TD run against the Giants in the season opener and is the first special-teams player in NFL history to rush and pass for a TD in a single season.

Smith punted four times for a 38-yard net average against the Broncos. He previously was named AFC special teams player of the week when he played for Indianapolis in 2005.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 18, 2009; 10:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mother (at least Haynesworth's) knows best
Next: Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench

Comments

Congrats Hunter "the Sock" Smith!

Posted by: tc2003 | November 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

punter the hunter

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

He may not be great but he is proven and he could help a few teams right away, I don't think you could say the same thing for a qb coming out of college and going in the 3rd.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 18, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

what has he proven? that he is inaccurate, has a slow delivery, locks on to receivers, can't read defenses, and that after 5 seasons is at best mediocre despite 3 different systems getting to sit behind a vet for a while and a lot of great offensive minds working with him........isn't it funny that Gibbs is a legendary offensive mind that got a broke down Brunel into the playoffs but couldn't produce with JC, Saunders leads one of the most prolific offenses for years comes here works with JC and is suddenly an idiot except for the stretch that Collins runs his offense. Then they bring in Zorn for his reputation of molding QBs and his work with Matty H. and Zorn works with JC and suddenly he's the biggest idiot in the league? I don't argue Zorn was miscast as head coach but he had a good track record of work with QBs, has two seasons with JC and he's regressed and gotten benched. At some point when does somebody say that JC is a physically talented guy with great leadership and a wonderful team-first attitude that outside of brief flashes of good play just can't get it done on a consistent basis? He's a back up, most of the league already recognized this last year when nobody would trade a 3rd for him, that you guys think this year has done anything to change that is amazing to me. IF someone were to offer it we should do it before they finish their sentence and throw in that ham sandwich we're always trying to get rid of as well, but I just can't see how it would happen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Look, a bit of unequivocally good news about the Redskins!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how the Bills aren't taking a pounding in the National media, for firing there coach mid season and basically being a sh_t franchise.

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Taking nothing away from Punter Smith (what a great spiral he put on that pass), but this is a bit of a misleading stat, isn't it?

I mean, Sammy Baugh was the teams punter, so presumably that makes him a special-teams plater... and he also rushed and passed for multiple TDs in a single season...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | November 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I've said all along that the one positive sign from this team was improvement in the kicking game; at this rate, the 'Skins could be in the Super Bowl, in oh, say, 2025?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

What's amazing to me is that people don't see that you don't let a player in their prime walk for nothing.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2 _ CAMPBELL HATER ALERT

He's proven he can complete 66% of his passes while being sacked 28 times, He's proven he can throw for a 1st down on a league leading 40% of his passes. He's proven he can withstand a tremendous beating and pick himself up off the turk again and again. He's proven he can endure a hostile work environment with changing offensive systems, coaches, horrible front office management, criticism from the fans and media. He's proven to be a little better each year.

What have you ever proven? WHy should we listen to you?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 18, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I am hoping that we see a new revitalized JC on Sunday, Wins always help with confidence and the media has been up his Arse this week...hopefully the confidence will build.

JC also did things last sunday that we have not seen in a long time, taking a hit and delivering the ball, rushing again and hanging in the pocket long enough to give WR a chance. I think alot of that is on S. Lewis, but who knows, we arent there daily, but seems to work towards JC strengths. It will be soon, hopefully that he hits Moss in stride, but I honestly prefer he hit DT11 with a long ball, I want to see that kid run down the sideline for a bomb.

When JC was protected early last year, we all wanted some JC...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Not good enough JohnD, 2011/2 will be the last SB according to the Maya...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM

I think we are easy to hate, 2nd most $$ in professional sports, a nickname that some find offensive and arsehole owner that thinks he is the Bill Gates of football.

All that aside it is pretty crappy...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ha.. Pasquarelli has a column re JC, titled, "Campbell probably Better Off Elsewhere." But like most who have that mindset, he's unable to name ONE team that wants him.

It's such a shame, the way people like Campbell are paid millions of dollars, and are ill-used and mistreated by franchises.

I weep for them.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I think with JC that alot of his issues can be traced to a couple of things, yada yada yada, we all know what those are, so I wont go all JReid and repeat myself.

What bothers me is the consistently throwing behind the WR over the middle, we are damn lucky that we dont have more pics than we do.

I could understand the tentativeness in the pocket after getting hit so often during games, but when you have time and still throw behind them, that bothers me...all about confidence.

Having said that, tell me a better option for 2010?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Having said that, tell me a better option for 2010?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:10 AM |
-------------------------------

Colt Brennan.

Otherwise, why did they draft him?

Let 'em play next year.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Having said that, tell me a better option for 2010?

Trade Betts for Brady straight up....championship...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

peebrain is back, I can't deal with that guy, laterz.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Just to be clear I agree with you that JC is a mediocre qb and wouldn't start for about half the teams in the NFL.

I'm saying he is proven as far as he has been a starter in this league. While unspectacular he does have a completion % around 65 and a qb rating in the 80's. Compared to a 3rd rounder that has never taken a snap in the NFL I would say JC is proven and a safe bet. For as many late round steals that you hear about there are 1000's more that never see the field.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 18, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think getting rid of JC would be a dumb move. for the simple reason that you dont need a franchise QB to win the super bowl. The redskins did not win any super bowl with a franchise QB also, the ravens won with Trent dilfer, the bucs won with Brad johnson.

I think this offseason if we invest at least two top picks in lineman, sign a lineman in FA, we will be ok.

If you have a great offensive line then all you need is someone to manage the game and occassionally win the game for you which JC has shown that he is capable of doing. ( notice I did not say everygame but he can win 3 or 4 games if he had to)

Posted by: GreatOne1 | November 18, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"...Lavaresque..."

Is this a word?

I guess adding -esque to a name makes it a state of being related to that individual.

Think of the additions to the English Language:

Kanyewestesque: the state of being drunk and rude and beefing about nothing

Flavaflavesque: the state of crackhead behavior while wearing a large clock around one's neck.

Richeisenesque: the state of having football knowledge and humor flowing all at the same time.

Meganfoxesque: the state of being lucky enough to 'hit' a fox.

Davechappellesque: the state of being the funniest dude on the planet who suddenly disappears.

Sarahpalinesque: the state of getting paid to say very little to a lot of people who really don't care.

Jimmykimmelesque: the state of being unfunny and yet somehow famous.

Hiphopesque: the state of once being a powerful art form, but now a tired commercialized product as ordinary as a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Mistamoesque: the state of being unfunny and pretentious all at the same time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I cant listen about Colt Brennan, are you serious? What has that side arm slinging idiot shown? He got reps this preseason vs backups and some starters, I thought, could be wrong and he looked awful all preseason.

I dont see Brennan as the QB of the future. There isnt one Football analyst or writer or anyone with the knowledge that sees that kid as the next coming of Montana or even YOung.

NO WAY ON COLT. I dont see it.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

It's your opinion and there is no fact to support it.

Do your job J Reid, your so critical of other people's jobs, why don't you do your f'in job?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 17, 2009 7:49 PM

His job on "Redskins Insider" is to provide "news, commentary, and opinion" on all things Redskins. Based on that, I'm going to say the he is doing his "f'in job."
Now, if the job description changed to "Love Clinton Portis unconditionally, and constantly tell the world how fantastically fantastical CP really is..." then JReid would in fact not be doing his "f'in job."

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2009 10:32 AM
That's because of the alcohol consumed at the tailgate and during the game! I wasn't worried at all, just like you, and it was one of the best game experiences I've ever been at in 6 years of going to FedEx. The crowd was very into it and friends of mine said it sounded very loud on tv.
Posted by: Section104 | November 18, 2009 10:45 AM

Would anyone who went to the game say it was a full house? They showed a shot of the Broncos doing their little pre game rah-rah “1-2-3 DOMINATE” get together, and the stands were EMPTY. And I mean EMPTY……it was more crowded for kickoff, and I forgot to notice the rest of the way….but I was wondering if it was enough for maybe Snyder to notice so many empty seats?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 18, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"I'm going to say the he...."

Also, I type English good.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Buffalo, Cleveland, San Francisco, Oakland, Minnesota and Seattle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"the state of being drunk and rude" - I thought that was being riggo-esque.

Posted by: LongTimeShortTime | November 18, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Lavaresque...what, what is wrong with that.

HaHa. I had an architect yesterday tell me that the pipe that goes up to this floor is flowing horizontical???

Word.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Buffalo, Cleveland, San Francisco, Oakland, Minnesota and Seattle.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Carolina is probably the best fit.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Buffalo, Cleveland, San Francisco, Oakland, Minnesota and Seattle.

Of these teams, given that Cleveland, Oakland, SF all recently spend high first round picks on QB, so I'm not sure they're ready to pull the plugs on them...yet....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

so again, I would like to know a better option for JC in 2010, support with facts.

I am not JC's biggest fan, but am realistic.

Plus, I guess we will get to find out more, if he plays well this weekend and if the OL plays well. Levi will be going up against D. Ware right?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

** start probably boring anecdotal thingy **

I saw Jerry Glanville at a fancy deli here in Portland yesterday. He was there with his wife (I think) ordering what looked like a bunch of food for a dinner party. He made some calls on his cell phone but mostly stood around waiting. Earlier in the day, he announced his resignation as the coach at Portland State after three lousy seasons. Glanville is 68 years old.

It got me thinking about George Allen and the coda to his illustrious career, that one 6-5 season at Long Beach State and the Gatorade shower that may have contributed to his death a month after the season ended at age 72.

And it got me thinking about Bill Curry, a three-time NFL champ as a player who coached big-time college football and now, at age 67, is building Georgia State's football program from scratch.

And it got me thinking about Jim Zorn and what he'll do for the rest of his career after Snyder dumps him. He's 56 years old now... is he going back to being a QB coach? Is he going to try to be an offensive coordinator? Or maybe jumping down a level to college?

Just amazes me how most of these guys never lead their teams to titles, how they have to fight and scrape for their whole careers, and in spite of that how so many of them seem unable to shake it -- they have to scratch that itch even if it means taking on a tough job at some godforsaken outpost like Portland State or Long Beach State or Georgia State.

I successfully fought the urge to say anything to Jerry Glanville yesterday, even though we were in the same confined space for about a half hour. I was going to say something about how great it has been to have a character like him in Portland, too bad about how it turned out at PSU, good luck in whatever's next, something along those lines. But I left him alone. I couldn't help thinking how sad he looked, if perhaps a little relieved. Yesterday could be the last day he'll wake up as a head coach. I think I'd be pretty sad, too.

** end probably boring anecdotal thingy **

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I could see JC in Carolina or Cleveland, but both have crap OL, so that would be no better for him. Cleveland has zero WR options and Carolina has S. Smith, but he is not getting any younger.

Carolina does have a nice RB duo that I wish we had, but that could all change if John Fox is not there, they may change offense, but if Cowher goes there, I would like to know his thoughts on JC. I have not heard him talk about him.

Anyone see Tavaris Jackson play, is he any good?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 11:26 AM

At the very least they'd want a QB who would push the incumbents for the starting job. In that situation JC will get strong consideration.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The Raiders like to play the long ball and I have heard that JC throws a nice long ball*, heck, even Len P. said it so that may be the team.

*Qualifier: I heard about his accuracy on the long throws, have not seen it personally.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

NateinthePDX...have you gone to that Coffee SHop in Portland, you know the one that sells herbals, not the tea kind...saw an article about it yesterday.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Carolina is probably the best fit.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Good call but they just invested a ton of money in Delhomme.

I think this is Alex Smith's last shot in SF and You never know what Al Davis is going to do, same with Brady Quinn. Neither is playing with the coach who took them now.

Buffalo and Cleveland will be starting from scratch next year and Campbell will be a good placeholder while they groom their next saviors.

Minnesota and Seattle obviously wouldn't want him as a starter right away but that may be the best situation for him to go into.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Seattle would seem to be an odd fit for JC, considering that they play WCO there still right???

Anyone watch any of the UFL? WOnder how that is going.

Slow day today at work, might just hit the gym to get ready for my bout with Natsfan.

Will be practicing my crane kick and leg sweeps.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

From my perspective the stands were pretty packed - and the crowd was LOUD and totally into the game. Loved it! The stands were not full when the GAME STARTED but my friend (who goes to most games) told me that is typical of Skins fans...they are late arriving (at least to the stands).

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander gets my Vote for player of the week. Alexander is just begging for more playing time. Perhaps when his contract comes up for renewal, his agent will get a starter clause inserted.

Posted by: ccwbambam | November 18, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

===========

I noticed how that looked on espn too, but dawkins' pregame rahrah was before introductions etc. The players went back in the locker room after that, it's well before kickoff.

The stands weren't completely full at kickoff, but pretty crowded. Much more than at dawkins sorry cheer.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 18, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

NO WAY ON COLT. I dont see it.
-----------------------------------

He hasn't even played a regular season game yet....LOL

And who are the "writers/analysts" who decree a QB "the next Young/Montana?"

Who said that about Tom Brady before he played? Who said it about Jason Campbell?

Giving up on a very good college QB the team drafted and who has yet to play ONE DOWN in a regular season game is the apex of irrationality.

Have fun living there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Nate; kind of miss Jerry down here in Houston - he was nothing if not entertaining, and another Western Kentucky guy, to boot.

Thanks Moe; you're kind of literaryesque.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Mhartz,
UFL is going lopsidedly last I checked with Orlando going undefeated and New York going Detroit Lions.

I hear the games are averaging about 10,000 fans per game, which is low but they did not advertise and its their "soft" opening. We will see what happens next year with more teams and some marketing.

This is the last week of their season.

No players are averaging eye popping #'s so if you are talking about looking for talent there, not much as of yet.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure that no one said it about JC, I thought most scouts had him listed in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I just dont get the hype about Colt Brennan, I may go down eating my words about that player, but I just dont see it, probably why I am working @ home in my office and not in the NFL, but I cant see it.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

mhartz1, nope, you have to have both an Oregon medical marijuana card (which I don't have) and be a dues-paying NORML member (which I'm not) to partake of that wonderful new cafe.

I love that it's here, though, and I consider it one more example of the awesomeness that is Portland. Suck it, Seattle!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Alex, not really thinking about talent there, but just wondered if that league was doing anything at all. Last time I remember they actually have some decent ex-pro players or at one time were decent, such JP Losman and yeah cant remember anyone else, nevermind.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Actually I take that back DeDe Dorsey is averaging 7 yards a carry in 33 carries to be the second best RB in the league.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I love Portland, great city. I wonder how they tax those coffee shops or that one coffee shop, any different?

I have a client in McMinnville and just love the area and the wine from there.

BTW...getting a med card for that sh!t is pretty easy.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Quaterbacks of the future for the skins. Mat Barkley of USC, and Andrew Luck of Stanford.

Sign Jason Campbell to a 3 year contract and position yourself in the draft to get one of these two when they declare.

Posted by: ccwbambam | November 18, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Moe; you're kind of literaryesque.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 11:49 AM

Or, at least, what would pass for literaryesque in the Lone Star State where poetry is barbeque.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Dude Oregon gets a Pro football team and I think I could move there. And if my dad ran Norml does that mean I am a member for life?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

mhartz1, Colt may not be the next anything in the NFL, but the Skins need to open the QB job to whoever in camp can take it. If JC is here and wins the job, fine, but Colt, JC, Woodson, Collins (if here) and any other QB brought in need to play for the position.

My money is on Colt, but then again, I only have some pocket change, so I won't be losing much.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:54 AM

Portland inhales, Seattle sucks.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

JohnD, I was also wondering about the lack of "characters" in the NFL coaching ranks today. Pretty boring, and homogeneous, group nowadays, after having seen the likes of Bum Phillips, Buddy Ryan, and Glanville. It's kind of like NASCAR drivers in that regard.

These days Zorn qualifies as weird because of his pre-game football tricks and those training camp sunshades. That's a pretty tepid weird.

Who's the biggest "character" among the 31 current NFL head coaches? Am I forgetting someone? Mike Singletary's pants-dropping episode maybe puts him in the conversation, but I can't think of another guy who has evinced anything I'd consider an outsized personality...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, yeah, our literary threshold is kind of low down here, but our Governor thinks we can secede from the union, so what do you expect?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I saw Jerry Glanville at a fancy deli here in Portland yesterday.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:27 AM

---------------

Nate eating at a "fancy" deli.

Sheesh...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, Completely agree to opening up the competition at QB...but Colt, I cant get behind that until I see him throw a ball normal. The side arm thing, I dont believe will get it done in the pros, sorry 3/4 motion i guess is what people call it.

Norml, what a great organization. If the laws and issues around dispensary's werent so tough, I would honestly consider either investing in a franchise type version or starting one up for cash business, esp if the movement keeps going the way it does.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

hartz, there is no taxation on the smokeable material, I think, because they don't sell it... all the marijuana consumed in the cafe is donated or provided by the patrons themselves. And supposedly among the donations are some pretty amazing varieties. Not that I'd know about any such thing, of course; I just read about this on the internet.

alex, I just thought up a few jokes about the application process for NORML membership, how long it takes them to get the applications approved, how frequently they get lost... you know, because the NORML people are completely zonked all the time. But to answer your question, no, you should not be entitled to enjoy any benefits from your father's accomplishments and associations. You should earn those benefits yourself, you lazy stoner, you.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

mhartz, I disagree on the throwing motion. One of my favorite QBs had a sidearm throw and made a pretty good career in the NFL. Bernie Kosar.

Colt has the intangibles that JC does not. Will he succeed? IDK, but I would like to see him get a fair chance before I rule him out.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

San Francisco would be an interesting place for JC -- solid defense, decent running game, good WR and TE, need to upgrade the o-line, but desperately need a solid starter at QB -- not enough time to develop someone from scratch, and it's not like Tom Brady is available.
JC's fate will be most closely tied to the choice of the next coach... if they want to continue to pursue this WCO silliness, then JC and Todd are miscast and we should move on, bring in Skeletor and Colt and some other justaguy and see what happens.
If, on the other hand, they want to return to power Redskin football, then JC is a pretty attractive option. I've given up on hoping that he can carry the team, but he doesn't make a lot of throwing mistakes, and if the o-line can keep him from the sack-strip-six play, I can see him scoring more than the magic 20pts we need to be competitive throughout the season.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Curzon417, you want to buy some magic beans? Your money is on Colt? Seriously?

You JC haters crack me up. Wow. You all criticize Snyder but think just like him. Why Colt Brennan was even drafted is beyond me.

Posted by: natemcfarlane | November 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

What can I say, Chia, we were in the neighborhood because of an appointment for Mrs. Nate, so we checked it out. This was the Elephant's Deli on NW 22nd at Burnside. Cripes, it's not that fancy :) Terrific pumpkin milkshake.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, it's Wednesday before playing the Cowgirls.

We need to be breaking down how the 'Skins are going to win one in Dallas.

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

anyone go see JC last night at Gordon Biersch?

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

rickroge's/SICWIDIT's TEST O THE DAY

Test your Skins trivia...fill in the blanks of the missing RB tandem...

Example: John Riggins Joe Washington

Bobby Mitchell and_______ larry brown

Earnest Byner and _______ gerald riggs and ricky ervins

Reggie Brooks and _______ bmitch, ricky, ervins, earnst byner

Stephen Davis and _______ terry allen, skip hicks, (sd48) was originally a fullback)

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Dude Oregon gets a Pro football team and I think I could move there.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 12:01 PM

------------

You think?

Do you love rain?

Hipsters strike your fancy?

Tweekers as part of your social group?

Sex offenders on every corner?

Unemployment suit you?

What about potholes?

Want to pump your own gas?

Enjoy paying sales tax?

Courteous drivers?

Credible public transportation?

Superfund site family picnic areas?

----------

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," P-town may, or may not be a good fit for you.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

said it many times Campbell's biggest flaw is he is not much of a playmaker...in many ways he is a reflection of our team overall, that being we generally do most of the basics fairly well (ie blocking and tackling) but durring our games our team makes almost nothing happen ...its all series of we make a couple first downs then punt ...we hold other team they punt...this goes on and on throughout the game trading the ocassional field goal or the rare (for us touchdown)until the other team makes the 1 or 2 big plays that change a back forth relatively even contest into another loss for the skins...JC plays the most important position on the field, he needs to find away over the last 7 games to make the 1 or 2 plays that change a game when he has the chance...thus far over his 45 or so starts he has consistently come up short in this most critical area......

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope they play him next year. Collins should retire, and JC probably won't be a Redskin.

As for his unorthodox release, I'm not sure that really hinders him.

I remember Dan Quisenberry had one of the weirdest side-arm pitches in MLB history, but he was also very effective.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

First, to whoever wrote the latest blurb on Redskin's Insider (I'm too lazy to go back to the top), it wasn't Smith's first pass, just his first completion. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. And to J. Reid, so I assume if you or Zorn were coaching the Patriots then Drew Bledsoe would have gotten his job back? I mean how idiotic can you be? You don't weaken the team just to be "fair" to one player.

Posted by: truke | November 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Terrific pumpkin milkshake.

Posted by: NateinthePDX
_________________

Anybody that orders a pumpkin milkshake HAS to be a little light in the loafers...

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Elephant's Deli?

Yummy.

Free samples, I hope...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

natemcfarlane, so 'cause I want to see an open competition at QB play I am a hater?

Hater is a term that is used way to much by people who are not smart enough to provide a logical argument.

You stick to JC missing open receivers, not being able to read defenses and I will wait for open competition when Colt beats out JC.

Magic beans, no thanks, but maybe it's time to visit Portland...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Here it is the middle of Dallas week..After
reading roughly 60 posts discussing where our QB should play next year and Delis in Portland. Let me be the first to say F the Cowboys!!!!

Posted by: VegasJim | November 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

We need to be breaking down how the 'Skins are going to win one in Dallas.

Posted by: swowra
_____________

By using shivs?

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate, yeah, you're right - everyone is just bland, by the book, and not very fun. Bum Phillips used to announce the games down here, until one exhibition season. The pre-game show was starting - no Bum - 15 minutes to kickoff - no Bum - Kickoff - no Bum. He shows up halfway throgh the 1st quarter; turns out he was busy mowing his grass on his farm, and his neighbor came and said "hey, Bum, why aren't you at the game, kickoff's in 5 minutes" He left soon after that - too much to remember, I guess.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Hunter Punter... nice pass..
JC would've overthrown it....

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | November 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah, right - F Dallas

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Why Colt Brennan was even drafted is beyond me.

It's the "Brady Rule". On or about the 200th pick, you take the best QB available. You only have to get the 'next Tom Brady' once to get a HOF mention.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM

Shouldn't there be a long, drawn out sigh between those two paragraphs?

Posted by: mack1 | November 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natemcfarlane | November 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Colt was a lottery ticket pick basically. he was cheap(6th rounder) and could be worth a lot. There's no real problem keeping him around and he does have upside. He's a guy that has the pysical attributes to be a good QB but he's very raw and is in need of development. That's exactly what a 3rd QB should be. The 2nd should be a wily vet and the starter should be your upper round pick plan A guy.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"pumpkin milkshake"
sounds like Westbrook's third concussion.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | November 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The way the Redskins beat Dallas is: Run the ball effectively for a second straight week, and bring the hate/hurt on Romo. Hit him early and often.

If they can do those two things, they will win.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

By using shivs?

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I like AH's cleat-to-the-forehead move.

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If they can do those two things, they will win.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

That's how all of our games should be played. That's how we are built to play.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If they can do those two things, they will win.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 |

DeMarcus Ware is what concerns me. He is going to tee off on that patchwork O-line.

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If they can do those two things, they will win.
Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse
That's how all of our games should be played. That's how we are built to play.
Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM

They are also going to need the secondary to tackle that Miles Austin guy when he catches anything…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

If they can do those two things, they will win

Don't they also have to score more points than the other team?

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Miles Austin makes plays.

Tony Romo makes plays.

Felix Jones makes plays.

-------------

[sound of bubble bursting.]

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Levi Jones can handle him the ones I'm worried about are the front 3 and the other OLB. Ratliff, Spears, and Spencer are probably going to push Heyer, Rabach, and Rhino into the backfield on every passing play. We looked ok against denver but let's face it they really only have a good rush on the left side. The Cowboys can bring it on both sides.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't they also have to score more points than the other team?

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 12:34 PM

------------

Not according to Moe.

We're looking for incremental progress up here.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Get AH to lead block on the goal line. Sure, he will limp off after, but it will be fun as he11 to watch.

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Random Thoughts at Mid-Cowboy Week

No matter how folks feel now, keeping Jason Campbell and Jim Zorn around next year makes more sense than getting rid of either.

Clinton Portis is a fairly rested back who now has been indicted as a has been. When he does play, he might just dominate to shut up the hatas.

No matter how the season ends, Sherm Lewis will be the redskin team offensive MVP.

Brian Orakpo will have the career Lavar Arrington didn't have.

Mike Vick hasn't been the savior the iggles though he would be and will never be.

Sidney Rice will make the pro bowl as he's the best receiver people don't talk about.

Carlos Rogers will redeem himself this weekend with stellar play against the cowboys' receivers.

Vince Young might make something out of himself yet.

The broncos will take one of the draft picks they got from the bears for Jay Cutler and find themselves a great quarterback next spring.

The Heisman winner might not even et drafted next year.

The Gators' Tim Tebow should win the Heisman Award.

The redskins will win 24-17 this weekend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Len Pasquarelli thinks JC is going to be a steal for another team next year.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hunter Honored as one of 13 Redskins who celebrated their "Loser's Revenge" Sunday.

"Hunter the Punter, (Punter/Passer): More damaged goods for the Redskin kicking game, we thought. First we hoped Hunter Smith was the answer to Redskin punting woes, and then of course he got hurt. Not only did Smith recover from his Groin to punt Sunday, but then he threw a 35-yard TD pass on a trick play for his Loser’s Revenge."

Read about the rest:

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 18, 2009 12:34 PM |
-------------------------------

True.

Romo is going to make some throws, that's a given.

But as long as the Redskins D shuts down the Dallas running game, they should be all right.

According to profootballreference, Barber has never gained more than 50 yards against the Redskins in any game.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboy pass rush didn't look that great against the Packers and the Pack's Oline sucks. Skins must play inspired ball like the 2nd half vs. Falcons to win. The betting line is Redskins +11, I went out on a limb and took the points, double digits in a rivalry game is a lot.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 18, 2009 12:22 PM

That was really sweet of you, chasgiffen. Thanks for expressing these sentiments. You have enriched all of our lives.

Yep, I ordered a pumpkin milkshake and it kicked ass. I shared it with my two little boys, and they loved it. I daresay that it was so delicious that you would have enjoyed it, too, unless you're such a mirthless piece of crap that you are incapable of "enjoying" things. By which I mean, you're welcome to lick to sole of the loafers in which I am proud to be light.

Also, F Dallas.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The redskins will win 24-17 this weekend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 12:42 PM

---------

This is bad news for Redskins fans, right Moe?

Regardless, a Redskins victory is unlikely, which in a sense, makes this a game worth watching.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe

=======================

The scary part of this is that Vinny would also be here. Ugh!

And F dallas!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the NFC East standings.

We beat the Cowboys twice, and also beat the Eagles and Giants, and win out the rest of our schedule, and...

playoffs?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM

Yeah sure whatever.

Did the Bills owner sue his season ticket holders?

Did the Bills owner ban signs at his stadium?--even those honoring our fighting men?

Did the Bills owner kick people out for wearing the wrong T-shirt?

Did the Bills owner ban TV standups from Redskin Park?

Did the Bills owner try to extract money from local TV stations for using clips of his team?

Did the Bills owner take away tickets form the biggest paper in town?

Does the Bills owner hide from the media once the season starts?

Does the Bills owner keep his racquetball partner around to make vital decisions?

And while you're at it, just who the Hell IS the Bills owner?

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

My two cents:

Being light in the loafers is superior to having club feet.

I respect a person who treads lightly...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cork.

I was starting to feel upbeat about about the Washington Redskins, and then you rattle off that list.

Buzz kill, dude...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM

The Jauron firing is not a surprise. He went 7-9 three straight years and would have been lucky to get to 7-9 this year. There is a longer history of coaching futility up in Buffalo. Zorn has only struggled for one calendar year after starting off 6-2.

Posted by: swowra | November 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

feeling about about.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Chia, sure, if they win out, that's 10-6, and should be enough for a playoff spot.

I won't even start to entertain that notion unless they win the next three - Boys, Iggles, Saints.

If - IF - they do that, they have a real chance, with the Raiders in Oakland, Giants and Boys at FedEx, and a final game - the Bolts - where San Diego may not even be playing their starters depending on the situation.

Stranger things have happened.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the NFC East standings.

playoffs?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Very highly unlikely. The only way we beat the Saints is if it snows heavily on 12/6 during the game and we have to grind it out on the ground. We may get lucky against the Chargers and they may rest there players assuming they have the division locked up. Then you have to factor in that we lost to Atlanta so they are ahead of us in the wildcard. So we either win the division at 10-6 or hope that only 1 wildcard team has 10 wins. So yeah it's possible but not likely.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Terrell Owens was right.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Because it's a day ending in "y"

F Dallas

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

The Gators' Tim Tebow should win the Heisman Award.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I certainly hope not. I wouldnt be surprised if it comes down to him and Ingram in the SEC Championship game. Who ever has the better game might win the trophy. I dont feel he should win it based on this years numbers. Watching their past few games, the Gators are ripe for a fall.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Look; the "Girl's" pass rush didn't win the game at Grn.Bay this past sunday and Grn.Bay's O-line ain't much better than this train wreck we got going on here,that being said Davis and Yoder should be ready to block on Sunday.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the NFC East standings.

I think I see where you made your mistake.

Hip Hip whatever.

Posted by: daggar | November 18, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The reason the Bills don't take the same beating in the media as the Skins is because they're in a very small market.

But if you check their blogs (I did after they lost that heartbreaker to New England, when their idiot KR fumbled) they have as much fear & loathing of their management as the Redskins.

In fact, if you peruse the message boards of losing teams on Sunday night, you find that EVERY team that loses has fans clamoring for the GM to be fired, or the HC, or the owner...lol

Washington is NOT unique in that respect.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

In the preseason, I was ready to cut Ladell and Rock.

In week 10 of the regular season, I'm... ermmmm... like... WTF?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Washington is NOT unique in that respect.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 1:02 PM

Seriously. You should've heard the talk radio in Denver Monday morning. The Broncos fans were beside themselves.

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Cork.

Buzz kill, dude...

Posted by: Chia_Pet |

I used to be a critic, and a critic's job was best described as "coming down after the battle to shoot the wounded."

Seriously, you can feel upbeat about the team and downbeat about management. It's a little like patting your head and rubbing your tummy simultaneously, but it can be done.

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Washington is NOT unique in that respect.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You should hear the Packers fans complaining about Rodgers. Apparently he holds on to the ball too long.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

my dad was in Denver yesterday and said the talk radio guys and fans were going crazy about the loss. Over and over again, we lost to the Redskins! Talking about how they might be the skins of 09...

Enjoy Denver...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 12:42 PM |

For all them duds that have been taxing CR's gig on RI I have one word: chillax. The infamous DeSean Jack play is bogus to the bone. Ain't no CB alive can cover a Jack double move. Even Neon Deion on his best day would be left in the dust. Jack just too fast. Need a deep safety cover or it automatic 6 for the Eegs. To paint CR as the villian of the piece is ridickulous, the emphasis being on the dick part of the word.

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Who up here can swivel their hips in one direction while rolling their head in the opposite direction?

and, yes, Cork, being a Redskins fan requires major compartmentalization skills:

Dan Snyder in one box.

Football players in another.

GM in the trash receptacle.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

** end probably boring anecdotal thingy **

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 11:27 AM

... for now anyway. Something tells me there are plenty more where that came from.

I also agree with Lisa that the 12th Man (including women) had its best performance of the season ... Academy Award nomination for best supporting home town crowd.

I'm not ready to trade Jason Campbell (or not tender an RFA offer) unless and until I see who's next. In the meantime, I propose building an offensive line ... and lowering expectations for a year ...

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Run right at him...wear his backside out..grind him right down to a nub...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This team has more pressing needs than a replacement QB ... like free safety, corner, and RB, not to mention OT, OT, and OG.

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

That's exactly how I feel. We have some nice pieces and are not that far from being a good team, however, it takes quality management willing to commit to building the oline and being more committed to the draft, building a quality scouting department, building through the draft, and being wiser and more conservative in FA. So we'll see if Snyder is truly committed to winning this offseason by whether he finally cans Vinny and commits to a real personnel guy.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Greg

Amen!

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

dcsween is an proponent of realpolitik.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Run right at him ... wear his backside out ... grind him right down to a nub ...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:17 PM

... demeam his mother ... ridicule his first DeName ... tie his shoelaces together ... pee in his Gatorade ... order bogus magazine subscriptions to his house ... F DALLAS!

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

My capacity to bore is boundless, sween! Don't challenge me, pal.

I'm with you on OT-OT-OG/C, by the way.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

and trash talking, and juvenile pranks.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

No question that JC has earned the right to be the starting QB for the Washington Redskins in perpetuity.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Jones has a higher football IQ than Dan Snyder does.

yet Dallas has lost 5 of the last eight against the Redskins?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

In other news, what's the deal with that coach at Kansas? He sure looks heavy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
again brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Does a win signal the end of DEBACLE '09 ®? Of course it doesn't. Can't really count on a ridiculous trick play for a TD and 30 minutes of Chris Simms quality QB work every week.

But let me take you back to a time and place, not long long ago or in a galaxy far far away. But a few hundred miles from DC, slightly less than a year ago.

It was a bad week for the Skins, the star RB had cursed out the head coach on the radio and the team went into the venue against a 1-11 team. In front of a stadium with half of its seats empty, the Skins lost.

And yet, there was magic on that day.

The magic, as some might have quickly surmises, wasn't about the Redskins, but about the team the Redskins lost to on that day. The Bengals. In fact, since that miserable day, the Bengals have gone 10-2. Literally, the fate of the franchise turned on a dime. 1-11 ended against the Redskins. It started a roll that is now up to 10-2, including 2 wins over the defending champs.

While its rare to see misery turn so quickly to success, its also worth realizing the Skins are better equipped than most teams to go from ugly duckling to athletic swan.

There is considerable talent here, except perhaps on the OL. The biggest issue has always been about heart. So let me cover some of contributions of the less talented, less costly and more expendable guys on this team.

Rock and Betts, two 30 year old RBs who were considered expendable by many up here, ran behind a patchwork line with success. The younger RB with the straight pockets hasn't looked that good all year. Reed Doughty, who had to fight his way onto this roster led the defense with 9 tackles. Todd Yoder, a backup's backup caught another TD and blocked like he knew what he was doing. Lorenzo Alexander, a minor role player, created a turnover. And then there is Levi Jones.

It took 9 days from the time Chris Samuels went down until Jones got a job here. Heck, the Skins played another game before deciding to even consider Jones, who had been unemployed all season. Talk about low expectations. Jones went from unemployed to starter and played good football on Sunday.

But perhaps the prism that is most useful, is to recall Jones was a member of the 2008 Bengals. An injured Jones had already played his final game for Cincy by the time the Skins rolled into town in 2008. When the Bengals turned it around on that dime, Jones didn't play a part in the turn around. More than anyone, our new left tackle knows how quickly a turnaround can happen.

Can the 2009 Redskins do what the 2008 Bengals did? Only if they have the heart.

And that is it for this week's ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to you by the finest people from Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

After the 1993 Super Bowl victory, reports began to surface in the media that Jones had made the statement that "any one of 500 coaches could have won those Super Bowls" given the type of talent that he had drafted and signed for the team.

Jones also stated to reporters at a late night cocktail party that he intended to replace Johnson with former University of Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer. The next morning, however, Jones famously denied those reports by stating that it "was the whiskey talking".

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the Kansas coach is most def not light in the loafers.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Jones attended college at the University of Arkansas and was a co-captain of the 1964 National Championship football team, where he was an all-SWC offensive lineman for Hall of Fame coach Frank Broyles, and a teammate of Neil Rosenberg and Jimmy Johnson, the man Jones hired to replace Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry when Jones purchased the Dallas Cowboys in 1989. Jones was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity at Arkansas. Other notable teammates were Ken Hatfield, Jim Lindsey, and future Outland Trophy winner Loyd Phillips. Several future great head coaches were assistant coaches for Frank Broyles and the Razorbacks during his college career in Fayetteville. Hayden Fry, future legendary Head Coach at the University of Iowa, Johnny Majors, future Head Coach at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Tennessee, and most notably Barry Switzer, Hall of Fame coach of the University of Oklahoma and the man whom Jones hired to replace Jimmy Johnson as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 1994. Jones is one of a very small number of NFL owners who actually earned a significant level of success as a football player.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

seriously, go double tight end, and run right at him, never have a play where there aren't 2 guys pushing him to the ground,if he switches over to the weakside, have yod's cut off his backside pursuit, have big mike banging helmets with him all game long, don't put him in a position of being able to get 1-1 blocking....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

** Dallas Week Post **

F Dallas.

** End Dallas Week Post **

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess they save all that hate for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I've always said the Bills were the AFC version of the Skins. The last couple of yrs they would start out hot and then cool right back down to being mediocre. I mean who fires their offensive coordinator right before the season?

Posted by: ga8085 | November 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Chia. If anything on this earth deserves our pity, it's Mark Mangino's footwear.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

In other news, what's the deal with that coach at Kansas? He sure looks heavy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 18, 2009 1:30 PM |

It would be a tight race between him and Weis in a "College FB Coach Ginormous Waistline" derby. Tighter than the fit of their pants. Can you believe he once was anorexic and somehow found a cure?

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The Bills tend to be too cheap where we spend too much. They will let their young talent walk because they don't want to pay them. We let our young talent walk so we can replace them with over the hill out of their prime geriatrics that go on IR by week 4. In the end we have the same team. Devoid of good young talent and chock full of injuries.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm. Scrolling thru the last several hours of posts, I see [F] Dallas has been quite F'd already.
4-12, late to the party. And all was right in the world again....

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

weis had his stomach stapled a few years back, almost died from it, be that as it may, he's really got no excuse for being that heavy...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Greg we once again are of one mind here. Davis and Yoder are some of our best pass catchers anyway, it drives me crazy when we go in to these 3 wide sets with just a back to chip against some of the best pass rushing teams in the league. What's wrong with going 2 tight end all game, they have more than proven they can catch. Plus the defense never knows which one is staying in and which is going out and Betts can get out and catch the ball. That's 3 legit passing options that can block too we should be 2 tight end all game, pound betts, rock, ganther and use the tight ends in the passing game. We shouldn't see a 3 wide set at all. Especially with the prolific wide receiving corps we have going three wide is just advantage defense, pound them and keep them off balance never knowing which guy might sneak out in a pattern and take a deep shot to moss at least once a quarter.....maybe just maybe JC can put one in his zip code.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Ralph Friedgen?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with going 2 tight end all game?

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 1:48 PM

---------

Nothing wrong with that.

Except the opposing team might make a halftime adjustment?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:44 PM |

Him and Mangino will soon be out of work - maybe they can get together and barnstorm the backwoods as Sumo wrasslers (しこ名).

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

If you like seeing pictures of fat football coaches:

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

No "deck chairs on the titanic" references today?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with that.

Except the opposing team might make a halftime adjustment?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It does take speed off the field.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo, Cleveland, San Francisco, Oakland, Minnesota and Seattle.

Posted by: Original_etrod |

---------------------

Oakland definitely. There's no doubt that JC would be an upgrade from JaWalrus Russel.

Posted by: js_edit | November 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Len Pasquarelli thinks JC is going to be a steal for another team next year.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 12:43 PM |

Lenzoid must not have seed the Den game where Camp overthrew Moss by 10 yds long and chucked several dirtballs 5 yds in front of WRs on shorty routes.

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Geez, you'd crap ypur pants if you ever watched McNabb play. He does that every other throw.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with that.

Except the opposing team might make a halftime adjustment?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It does take speed off the field.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What kind of adjustment might they make? put more guys in the box? then you start throwing out of the set more than you did before, you can adjust right back but we should keep the best personnel on the field. And I'm sorry what speed is off the field if Moss and DT11 are on it? MK, MM, and ARE (anymore) aren't exactly speed guys.....obviously if you get in 3rd and long you'll may have to go 3 wide but if you are in two tight end pounding the ball you shouldn't get in 3 wide, its time for smashmouth Redskins football again, it worked pretty darn well this weekend and its what we've always been better suited for, take that west coast stuff back to the west coast....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

yeah but he also makes amazing plays every other throw and hits his guys for deep passes and scores points....don't even pretend JC and McNabb are in the same stratosphere of QB....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

No "deck chairs on the titanic" references today?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:55 PM

Said Chia Pet, making a "deck chairs on the titanic" reference.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

one thing for sure is that they've gotta get the ball to DT more than twice this coming game....as well as MK on the slants...work the middle of that field...get DT the ball in space, and let him use his speed to make plays...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Chia, do you regularly follow/read Debbie Schlussel?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 18, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonOfStan | November 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

------------------

So you say that Jackson is "uncoverable" when he uses a double move....then the Eagles should never lose.

Come...ON. He's a good receiver, not Jerry Rice, and Rogers has bit on that kind of route against numerous WR's over the years, not just Jackson.

By the way, I give Jackson about three more years before the injuries from being 5 foot -nothing, 100 - nothing take their toll on his speed, which will essentially ruin him as a wideout.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Hunter. SomeBODY on the Skins has got to score.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | November 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse