Smoot, Kelly Say They'll Practice (Updated)

From Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid and Dan Steinberg

Fred Smoot (hip pointer) says he plans to be on the field for practice this afternoon in a limited capacity and will try to do more through the week. The workweek will be a little longer. Since they played Thursday night, they'll have a practice, albeit it in helmets and shells, today. Most likely, they'll go in full pads Wednesday and Thursday. "It's a long week so I think they're going to start me off limited," Smoot said.
...
Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly just said he will resume full practice today. Kelly, who sat out the preseason because of hamstring and knee problems, expects to make his long-awaited pro debut this week in the Redskins' home opener against New Orleans.

"For sure, that's the plan," said Kelly, who had arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 4. "Just going to go out there and see what happens. I'm ready."
...
Defensive tackle Kedric Golston said the defense has not lacked intensity and a hard-nosed edge, though it admittedly has struggled in the run game at the point of attack.
"We played hard," Golston said. "We played physical. They just happened to get some runs on us."
...
LB Khary Campbell said his thigh/quadriceps injury could cause him to sit out some practice this week. There has been bleeding in the muscle, which Campbell thinks may have occurred because he came back too soon from the original injury. Campbell missed the first game.

"We pretty much have to ease into it," Campbell said. "We"re concerned with the muscle bleeding more than anything else."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 8, 2008; 12:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Unrestricted: Saints Are Up Next
Next: Kelly Is Back on the Field

Comments

third!

Posted by: jakeweed | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Better be ready Kelly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear about both guys, moreso with Kelly.

Cork, from 2 posts ago, you claimed that Eddie Royal had 6 catches. Can you elaborate on this?

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

any news on springs?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy to hear about Kelly. I just feel like he'll be a difference maker in the offense. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me for my ignorance but...

I know the west coast offense is mostly comprised of short passes and the yac but does that mean we wont even attempt anything over say 10 yards??

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

top 5 Zeke calls from last week:

From before the game:
1. Intensity would be a big issue
-- no question ... it was
2. WRs were the weakest unit
-- sure looked that way
3. Campbell looked 'overcoached'
-- my observation after the Jax game ... a lot of others seem to agree with at this point

After the game:
4. Campbell looked much better out of the shotgun.
Alex and I both called it ... the next day, the Post article came out on this exact subject

and most important of all ....

5. Game 2 will be more telling than game 1

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Just throwing this out there....

How long do we wait if Campbell is just floundering this year??

Do we let him ride out the entire season?

Not saying it will happen

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Henry71 | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What a horn tooter.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Did Kelly play at all during the preseason? No.

So he is recovering from injury, limited in his familiarity with the offense and has never played a single play at NFL speed. Hmmm. Glad to see he is getting onto the field. But expectations? Pretty much nothing.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

trail;

the short passing is true. 3 steps and fire. that and the running game is meant to bring the d closer. then you throw in the 5 and 7 step drop, also play action and go over the top.

WC has never meantr no deep stuff, it is all about how you open up the deep stuff. Last year ours was run run run then go deep when they creep (yeah).

Really the 3 step drop is an extension/replacement for the running game.

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Henry the important part of the question there is why cant the O Line have that passion when you are relying on a pass catching TE to block there is real problems

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

LOOK AT THIS!!! I no sooner post than IMMEDIATELY, there's beeps--AGAIN!.

If I was a wagering man, I'd bet JLA and Cindy watch for my post before starting a new thread. Not that I'm paranoid. Excuse me, someone's at the door, either the CIA or the Men in Black...

REPOST:

Also, Enough Already to that idiot Colin Cowherd who just announced our season is OVER! Snyder should pull his show immediately.

Posted by: Lisa | September 8, 2008 11:03 AM

Cowherd is a blowhard but he was (or his boss was) smart enough to hire Trent Dilfer as his Monday Morning QB.

Dilfer made a great point about how a QB, once he gets a rep as a guy who gets rid of he ball quick, is rushed differently. Defenses no longer try to bullrush him and knock him down consistently, they just try to contain.

Match that with an effective pass-blocking OLINE and he can spend all day back there picking teams apart.

Current example. Romo and Dallas's massive Oline.

Gee, I remember the Hogs...BEFORE they wore silver and blue.

Now the skins have a slow armed QB with a featherweight, aging OLINE trying to protect him, and three high draft pick receivers sitting on the bench.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM

beeps...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM

Posted by: Corkczar | September 8, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe ANY Redskins fan would listen to Colin Cow$h!t after the things he said about Sean Taylor last year after Sean was shot. There are some lines that can never be crossed, and that was one.

All Redskins fans should boycott the show - LOUDLY.

Posted by: Have Brains, Will Travel | September 8, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Traiblazer I agree, but TE and WR's need to blosck on running plays as well. What Cooley did was not blocking at all. He showed no effort to block. If you Tivoed or DVRed the game you could concentrate on Cooley on running plays.

Posted by: Henry71 | September 8, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread....eddie royal hasn't played yet...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear about both guys, moreso with Kelly.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:14 PM+++

According to the box score in the LA Times, Royal caught six balls. If that's inaccurate, I'm sure you will point it out, and how this means the Front Office is doing a great job.

Maybe I should have gotten a second source. The LA Times gets a lot of stuff wrong. For instance, they had Roman Gabriel 14-25 for 265 for the Los Angeles Rams, so....

Posted by: Corkczar | September 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cork, how many catches did I have yesterday??

Posted by: Eddie Royal | September 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

And finally, I've been too busy to mention this lately. But Hey, Hey, Ho, Ho, Bob Bradley Has Got To Go.

By Jason La Canfora | September 8, 2008; 8:25 AM ET

I don't get it. Who is Bob Bradley? Is he on the Panthers? What position does he play? Is he a coach? Man, it is really hard to keep up with the NFL these days.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

eddie royal plays for denver and they play tonight. Robert Royal plays for the bills and he had 6 catches.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I had 6 catches yesterday

Posted by: Robert Royal | September 8, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I've just about had it with this team. I've been a fan since 1980, and I've watched this team become a joke.

If you looked around the league yesterday, I saw plenty of "new offenses" fare just fine. We're gonna get slaughtered by New Orleans next week. Expect something around 38-3.

Our personnel decisions over the last few years have been mostly atrocious. Clearly, we should have stayed with G.Williams as Coach - and kept A. Saunders, and take the brakes off of his offense. Dan and Vinny were unhappy with his performance, yet the whole time, he was restricted by Gibbs. I said it then, and I'm saying it now.

Throw in the fact that we neglect the most important part of the team, the O and D lines, and you get what happened last Thursday.

Posted by: supa dupa | September 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"If that's inaccurate, I'm sure you will point it out, and how this means the Front Office is doing a great job"

Or, I could do like you did, and outright LIE to try and reinforce your point...nicely done...

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty sad to know in week 1 that my team has no shot for the playoffs. They look so bad it's ridiculous.

Posted by: Poop | September 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Former Skin Robert Royal did well yesterday...Eddie Royal plays for the Broncos who have their first game tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Corky, I do believe that you have rubbed Greg the wrong way.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

we cant throw 6 yard passes when we need 11 yards

Posted by: skinsfan 1963 | September 8, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: supa dupa | September 8, 2008 12:36 PM

Couldn't agree more, said it then too, but that made far too much sense for Snyder.....Good organizations, Seattle (Holmgren to Mora), Colts (Dungy to Meeks), then there is us, we interview offensive guys, we interview defensive guys, interview experienced guys, we interview newbies, we hire our coordinators before our coach so that whoever is the coach has absolutely no authority from the beginning, we tell them we're trading for Ocho Stinko, we completely botch the whole thing so we promote a newbie to 3 positions (QB Coach, OC, and HC), utterly idiotic and then we burn a golden opportunity to immediately rebuild both lines by picking two WR's (always a gamble in the draft) and a backup TE (can be found of the street!), this franchise may have finally hit its lowest point in my lifetime.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I would love to have 11 Clinton Portis

Posted by: Henry71 | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM++

Just curious...what is the plural of Portis??

Portises (like tortises )
Portis ( same as singular )
Porteese ( sounds like easy Port-easy)
Portisi ( portis - i )

Posted by: cej75024 | September 8, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poop | September 8, 2008 12:37 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:36 PM

Greg, please make sure you take your blood pressure meds. It could get intense up here ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

yeah Greg, I am sure he LIED, he made a mistake which he admitted...even doing a mea culpa about double sourcing...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 8, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

All set..on the bp meds, no need for that.

I just think that someone got caught in a lie, which just so happen to suit their agenda, and the manner in which they've back-tracked, blaming the news paper, is pretty weak.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

dirty sanchezes for all of you!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

1. WHY does Steinberg get a hot link in the "contributors" by-line of this thread?

and more importantly ...

2. Did you SEE what Steinberg has on Jimzorn in the Sportsbog today? [click the hyperlink above]

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

your constant harping is weak....pretty sure he didnt lie...you wouldnt lie about something so refutable...seems completely feasible he passed along bad info...Corky might be a Negoid but he has an opinion which he comes strong with also with out a lotta "Fire this" guy rhetoric..

I have to admit, when I watched the skins get destroyed against the run in the first half, I thought to myself, "Corky looks like a genius"

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Where are the guys who were calling me an idiot last week when i was saying the biggest issue against the G-men would be blocking and most importantly the TE's. Cooley was terrible last week and has to get better each week. that was his worst performance in a 'Skins uni.

On to this week, the key this week will be QB pressure and press coverage. If we do not pressure Brees (not sacks but in his face - he is a short QB) and stay with their WR's for the first five yards we are in trouble once again. Mark my words!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Greg

DeSean Jackson's line was 6 catches for 106 yrds and 8 punt returns for 97 yards (and most importantely, no muffs or fumbles). He and the Eagles dealt a significant blow to the St Louis Lams BCS title hopes.

He looked good, but every Iggle looked good in that ass kicking. I'm curious to see how things go once we start playing NFL teams in week 2 (and beyond) of the season.

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

On the GG coach thing. I agree. He was the guy. Why? Because he was the ONLY candidate for coach who could have walked into the locker room and told the players that they had unfinished business from the 2007 run. That was a team with great chemistry. The same guys that made that run in 2007 are here in 2008.

To me, a major question for the new coach was ... 'how much of the chemistry/intensity from last season would remain with the team?"

First impression? Not much.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 12:52 PM

How about changing your moniker to Captain Obvious?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

as is yours cl, as is yours.

"According to the box score in the LA Times", checked it out myself, and nope, still doesn't fly, it clearly states "R. Royal"......

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Adam, we don't allow grounded, well reasoned posts here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

ok campbell you were the dude that was talking about running slant routes in HS! Give me a break.

Put up or shut up! All you do is bad mouth other comments with nothing to actually say yourself....

same ol blah, blah, blah

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

How'd Zorn's Jedi Master of the West Coast 0 Obi Wan Holmgren do yesterday? Did Hasselback light up the scoreboard against the Mighty Bills? By Jason Campbell's twitching ass, things are really looking up this year!
*******************************************
"Jason Campbell has a "tell." The D-linemen know when he is about to snap the ball. I read a quote last year (can't remember who said it) that he lifts his hips just before he calls snap. Justin Tuck was getting ridiculous jumps last night.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: Ben | September 5, 2008 2:49 PM "

This is important because it's true. I'm not sure if it is every snap, but JC definitely leans back a decent amount right before the snap. Definitely a tell, which is exploited easily at this level.

Posted by: The Truth | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by: flynnie | September 8, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

wait, a rookie receiver made it on the field, played well, and contributed to their team? that's so weird......

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It's getting rough up here and it's only Monday.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will hurt is vagina this week in sideline workouts while Thomas will practice going down easy from 1 arm tackles. While Moss & ARE will practice running 9 yard routes!!

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

My best guess at the season

already in the books...
WAS @ NYG L

NO @ WAS L...I think they have to many weapons (I hope I am wrong) and although we may turn things around this seems like too soon to see the kind of change to garner a win...

ARI @ WAS W Call it gut instinct but I think we can pull this one out... it will be a close one though

WAS @ DAL L no explanation necessary

WAS @ PHI L I think the 12th man may be 2 much for us... and unless the D Line really steps it up Westbrook will have a field day

STL @ WAS W no explanation necessary

CLE @ WAS W Cleveland is in big trouble this year not only do they have no defense but Derrick Anderson has come back to earth

WAS @ DET W this will also be a close one but I think we can pull out a win

PIT @ WAS L Pit is going to be a playoff team

DAL @ WAS W I hope...

WAS @ SEA W Seattle has no running game at all this year

NYG @ WAS L The outcome of this one may be similiar to the first matchup

WAS @ BAL W I hate the Ravens and Flacco is going to make mistakes this year

WAS @ CIN W Cinci is imploding

PHI @ WAS L I worry about our chances against the Eagles but McNabb could be out by this time

WAS @ SF W I refuse to believe that JT O Sullivan? WHO? or the bust they call Alex Smith can beat anyone...

That still puts us at 9-7

looking at the schedule it doesnt seem all that crazy!!???

Alright let me have it...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me for my ignorance but...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 12:18 PM

I seem to recall a 40-yard bomb Campbell threw (incomplete) to Moss. The deep routes are there. Everybody calm down. This will be a process.

Really, Hail2theChief? If we dont pressure the QB or cover the receivers, that will be bad? Wow. Are you a former NFL player or something? Please provide some more insight: will scoring more points help us win?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 8, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Adam, we don't allow grounded, well reasoned posts here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:56 PM

Damn, what was I thinking.

Let's try this again...

THE 2008 IGGLES ARE GUARANTEED SB CHAMPS, MOST PROLIFIC OFFENSE, GREATEST TEAM IN NFL HISTORY. THE REST OF THE NFL CAN'T CARRY OUR JOCK! THE REST OF THE WORLD CAN'T CARRY PHILLY'S JOCK. WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER!!!

Now if we can only play the Rams 18x more times this season, I'll probably be right

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 8, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah, but we do allow grounded well-reasoned posts, but only from fans of other teams.

Facts is facts; and we're all homers.

Posted by: stumped | September 8, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

It's getting rough up here and it's only Monday.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 12:59 PM

Way better than it was Friday. People had the weekend hurricane to douse their fires. Except for Greg, of course, who's grumpy today because Brady won't be playing for his Pats this year. Wait, he's grumpy everyday.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | September 8, 2008; 8:25 AM ET

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 12:34 PM

Since TE brought this over to the new thread - I'll jump on.

Bradley is ridiculous, as someone earlier said, Arena 2.0 I said to myself during the Cuba game - this looks like DC United when Arena coached them. Pass back, pass across, pass back to keeper, long ball up the field, lose possession, frantically defend, regain possession, pass back, pass across, pass back, long ball up the field...... ugh! I wanted to scream. Don't get me started on player selections. We will qualify from CONCACAF but then we'll get stomped on as soon as we go to South Africa.

And to legitimize my post - Hail to the Redskins - It wasn't pretty and there's work to be done but lots of good teams are 0-1 this week. I'm still thinking positive.

Posted by: mmok | September 8, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Adam, we don't allow grounded, well reasoned posts here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:56 PM

Damn, what was I thinking.

Let's try this again...

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 8, 2008 1:02 PM

That's more like what i'm used to seeing. Thanks, I feel at home again.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@MikeH

i'm mearly pointing out one aspect of the game we need to focus on this week. I could have said the o-Line. or running routes past the freakin marker, or actualling running a hurry up o inside of 5 mins while down by 2 scores, the list goes on BUT N.O. throws quick routes, hitches, curls, slants etc and if we don't get a quick jump and get our hands up we will get beaten worse this week. That isn't so obvious now is it? Watch and see if the Skins don't practice drills for batting down passes this week.....Can't see me

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

whateves keep accusing people of lying even after they admit they were mistaken, its so entertaining....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I would still like an update on Springs, out of all the updated injuries his would be the most important.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess the post was too long nobody is even calling me an idiot!! LOL

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Trailblazer, I am sure Greg will get around to it soon...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Game 2 will be more telling than game 1"

Not to pull a Rumsfeld on y'all, but stay with me on this one. Zorn had a bunch of unknowns going into the game. His unknowns are now knowns. Some of his knowns might have become unknowns, but he probably knows how to address these. Knowing your unknowns is better than having no gnomes. So...

"Game 2 will be more telling than game 1"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess the post was too long nobody is even calling me an idiot!! LOL

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:08 PM

You verbose idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

trailblazer, you're an idiot! Also, if you want to see ignored long posts, search on page for dcsween. [I kid b/c I longpost.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the validation anon...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree we should have kept GW, but disagree as far as offense goes. I still am pro going WC for this offense, we just need to adjust it to the players we have.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

same ol blah, blah, blah

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 12:57 PM

Got me wrong again dick smack. I didn't play ball in high school. I don't feel the need to rehash the same comments over and over and over. Same old tired sh!t. When I have something new to input, I will. Go back and read 'em, they're there. You really are a bag of smashed buttholes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

9-7 is a bit ambitious to me still. Hard to watch this weekend and think we'll go 1-5 or 2-4 in our division meaning at best we'd have to go 7-3 out of the division to make 9-7. Sorry, that aint happening. I see it like this:

@NY L
NO L
ARI W
@DA L
@PH L
Stl W
CLe L
@DE W
DAL L
@SE L we play crap there every time
NYG L
@BA W
@CI W
PHI L
@SF W

6-10, we'll win just enough down the stretch to finish middle of the pack and have a mediocre draft pick in the 1st round and Parcel's will use his two seconds and his 1st to somehow get the best player in the draft and we'll be hoping Jason Taylor doesn't quit.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

there we go thats more like it...

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure your are the world's authority of smashed buttholes, so i'll take you word for it and yet once again you fail to post anything worth giving a damn about. i'll take that to mean that you have nothing at all to add unless we wish to discuss the smashing of buttholes??? I'll pass, jackass

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I will, you keep defending people who claim they 'mis-remembered' something in order to reinforce their agenda...thanks.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:12 PM

I'll bite on this one. Have we ever lost every division game? We at least luck into 1 or 2 wins right?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

it is possible we will lose every game this year. we are that bad. zorn is that clueless. our "talent" is that pitiful.

Posted by: cvs | September 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Eh, eagles fans are the anti-skins fans. Nothing their team does is good enough, and we crown them even if they start out 0-5....

anywho, adam seems the more level headed of his eagles brethern.

Tell me Adam, what rating do you give Fly Eagles Fly?

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is running for president, I think as a Democrat - He used to play ball for the New York Knickerbockers

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:15 PM

Alright, you just keep on posting your same old, worn out, obvious to a third grader trash and we'll all keep laughing at you.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Zjfr2 I really hopr we can beat cleveland and Seattle... but these are early predictions and we may not know either the depths that this team may achieve or the miraculous synergy they can attain over a week and a 1/2

Not to beat a dead horse but the upcoming game will be quite telling indeed

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Last week someone posted a YouTube of Jason Campbell highlights in the SEC championship game against Tennessee. Based on that, I really do think he can do this offense ... but he has two years of Saunders to unlearn. Also, I totally think they have to allow him to play out of the shotgun AND they have to let him run once in a while. Screw the 7 step drops. Just let him drop one foot to plant when he's ready to throw. When things get ugly back there, let him run the ball. Jimzorn has to meet Jason Campbell half way ... there are some things he does well. [If Troy Smith hadn't had tonsillitis, thus allowing Flacco to start now and, based on that win, forever, Cameron had installed an offense that played to Smith's strenghths ... scrambling and running ... and it would have been a different thing altogether.] Jimzorn needs to "coach up" to his coaching slot as offensive coordinator FIRST ... the head coach stuff (when to go for FG, when to throw the red flag, etc.) can get done by committee for a while. To follow on the Rumsfeld theme, an offensive coordinator needs to fight with what he's got, not what he wishes he had.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I quit, not worth risking my health to be run over by the Beasts of the East.

Posted by: J. Taylor | September 8, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If Mcnabb or Eli go down we can drastically change my predictions, but sorry, after what I've seen preseason and week 1 so far, we look way....way behind the rest of our division.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Milton Bradley?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Ben Bradlee?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I quit, not worth risking my health to be run over by the Beasts of the East.

Posted by: J. Taylor | September 8, 2008 1:19 PM

I said it when we traded for him, if they use him as a full-time end, its a terrible move and he'll be hurt by week 6. If they move him around, rest him, have him stand up as a LB some then its a great pickup.......week 1 looks like a bad pickup so far.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Corky, I do believe that you have rubbed Greg the wrong way.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 12:38 PM

The proper way is with the heel of your boot in a sort of scrapping motion. You'll also need a sharp stick to remove the rest of him from the tread. It's smelly work.

Posted by: Mac | September 8, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Its not worth any effort to make W-L predictions for a season, until maybe December. Predicting games is a week-to-week thing based on a zillion variables, the main one of which is injuries. File this under the category -- "Patriots dominate the AFC forever."

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

So has anyone said no to shotgun being used more? Aside from Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Howdy, blog peeps!

My posts will be infrequent; expect about one a week, so I'll try to make them worth reading.

Despite my former irrational exhuberance regarding the dawning of the Jim Zen Era, the Washington Redskins are clearly in trouble.

Jason "Pat the Ball" Campbell is, quite naturally, to blame; good luck with that shotgun formation. I also fault our secondary, and our defensive and offensive lines, but would, however, like to personally thank Rock Cartwright for some nice effort on returns.

Whooosh, whooosh, whooosh [sound of waves crashing on a craggy shore.]

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:22 PM

captain obvious, but isn't that the point of being on here? sure things can and will most definitely change but we're trying to talk about what kind of a year we think this will be, predictions are always a part of any conversation.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

week 1 looks like a bad pickup so far.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:22 PM

He was hurt, clearly not 100%. He'll be fine when he becomes more mobile/stable with the knee. I agree that Evans should be getting more time on 1st and 2nd downs, though.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Jason "Pat the Ball" Campbell I laughed out loud!!

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I am not calling anyone out, but has it been reported somwhere that Zorn does not want JC to scramble.

I seem to remeber Zorn scrambling all the time.

I think JC does not want to run, he did it a couple times last year, but then he stopped.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 8, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

If Mcnabb or Eli go down we can drastically change my predictions, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:20 PM

No doubt that Eli looked tremendous and confident in the first quarter ... but after the 4th or 5th time he got thrown to the turf, you could see (or at least I could see) his confidence drop fast and his long fabled Eli-ness returning with him to the field.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

psps23, that's my point, I know he was dinged and will get better, but I still think they are mis-using him if they try to keep him as an every down end which so far looks like their plan. Its even more shocking to me that they did that knowing he wasn't 100%.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

So has anyone said no to shotgun being used more? Aside from Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 1:23 PM

I read somewhere (maybe even here) that Zorn says he will use it more. I also posted the idea of more no huddle instead of less. I haven't gone back and looked at last years tapes but I seem to remember JC moved the ball down the field the best in these situations. Possibly because he had to work on reaction rather than having too much time to think about the play. He seemed to self destruct in these situations after huddles, timeouts, and spikes. Probably not much chance of that happening though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

An interesting tug of war awaits.

Cerrato wants the Skins to run the WCO. Cerrato hired Zorn to implement the WCO. If Zorn wasn't a WCO guy, he never gets hired.

Now Zorn is discovering his QB has some talents outside that system.

Shotgun is an example. Remember Steve Young or Joe Montana in a shotgun? Didn't think so. But Campbell looks more comfortable in that formation. I'm guessing Campbell sees the field better from that formation.

So ... does Zorn adapt (ie move away from) the WCO, even though its fundamental to the direction Vinny wants to take this team?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Jason "Pat the Ball" Campbell is, quite naturally, to blame

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:23 PM

For what? Completing 60% of his passes, throwing a TD, and not turning the ball over? Could playing with 2WRs for most of the game in a west coast offense take some blame as well? Or having the WRs run 4-yard routes on 3rd and 13? Or having Clinton Portis getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage before Campbell has even handed the ball off to him?

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd had 2 catches for 26 yards last night. He's already surpassed his total of yards receiving in one game than he had all season for us last year. Receiver, The will probably have a breakout year for Chicago. And we'll all be left wondering "how???"

Posted by: Pretzel Boy | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

If Mcnabb or Eli go down we can drastically change my predictions, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:20 PM

or if any starting QB goes down.

Posted by: Speaking of Cap. Obvious | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I suggest Jason Campbell run the ball as much as possible. We've all seen what happens when he throws it.

1,2,3, out
1,2,3, out
1,2,3, out

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM

For running into a sack, for consistently throwing to the wrong routes, for waiting to long to check down, for missing Santanna on a deep ball, and for that idiotic decision on 4th and 13. Certainly, he's not getting a ton of help right now, but tough, your an NFL QB you shouldn't need a lot of help you should make plays in your 4th season in a system you're familiar with and with CP, Cooley, Moss, ARE on your side. At some point JC has to make plays!!!!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet, don't MAKE us put you on the hot part of the windowsill by the radiator!

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

1,2,3, out
1,2,3, out
1,2,3, out

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM

Yes, because the only scoring drive of the game came from running the ball. Good call.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tell me Adam, what rating do you give Fly Eagles Fly?

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:16 PM

The lyrics are worth 3 DD batteries, but the drunk guys slurring the chorus make me soften my rating to two frozen snowballs.

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | September 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Campbell didn't miss Santana on the deep ball. Santana pulled up and quit on the route before he finished it (until he recognized it was happening and got back on the route).

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Classic WC vs modernized WC offenses. In classic WC you don't use much shotgun. But I would call what the Pats and Colt's run a modern WC using a ton more shotgun, doesn't it?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Here we go with stats again...JC's stats? They look good to you psps?

Take away the final drive to futility played against the soft Giant's zone defense and his numbers look pretty paltry.

Dude looked lost, just lost, for 90% of those snaps.

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Bill bradley played for the knicks

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

If Mcnabb or Eli go down we can drastically change my predictions, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:20 PM

or if any starting QB goes down.

Posted by: Speaking of Cap. Obvious | September 8, 2008 1:30 PM

Actually no, Brad Johnson is a legit backup and Dallas would still be good if Romo went down. Arizona, if Warner got hurt they'd be ok, Houston Sage is pretty good guess Spurrier got that one thing right, Washington Todd Collins did pretty good last year I think, and looks like we'll see with Brady but there are some teams with solid backups. NY and Philly aren't ones

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone please agree to stop making excuses for Jason Campbell.

Please?

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Alex -- Vinny came from SF, the classic WCO. Not sure what he thinks now.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think JC struggles with his foot work. I beleive he is focusing so hard on his drops that he is loosing sight of the BIG picture the release! timing is everything and he just doesn't have it right now and that timing starts with the drop back

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

i would like to see how good JC can look downfield when the Dlineman arent in his face. not to say they were there the whole time thurs, but he def had less time to pick out a reciever. We only gave up one sack on the first play of the gsme.

that and no to's have to be worth something right?

Lets not scrap the plan yet. keep working and tweaking. We cant be in Shotty all the time as JC said cause they will key on things. a nice hurry up to keep the D off balance and subbing would go a long way to help the o line when they struggle...

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I assumed the long term goal for the team was to emulate those two teams when we drafted 3 catchers. If we can stick with this for a year and then next season have 5-6 guys who can play WR (not be super stars but play) that looks and sounds allot like NE to me.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

you can still run a variation of the west coast out of the shotgun, you can run virtually the same routes, and it will be better for the taller JC. actually think of it in this way, give JC the option to step back or go under center depending of defense. kind of like how peyton manning does.

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Eli Manning looked sharp enough to win.

Tony Romo threw a heck of a game.

McNabb is back.

Jason Campbell?

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins, infinitely less talented physically than JC dramatically outperformed him with the same talent in a playoff push with tough road games after 10 years of limited reps. Football aint rocket science, I get so tired of system this and system that, they say right know Brett Favre knows 20% of the playbook and he still threw for two touchdowns, Vinny Testeverde came of his couch last year midweek to a team he'd never played for and one a game. Stop defending JC for having to learn a new system, he had an entire offseason and preseason.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the running attack is less potent when in the shotgun, I think most would agree with that, right? So if we are talking about JC being in the gun more & more are we taking our best weapon out of the equation (CP of course)

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

All Redskins fans should boycott the show - LOUDLY.

Posted by: Have Brains, Will Travel | September 8, 2008 12:28 PM

agree Cowturd should be boycotted ... as a Skins fan because of his comments about Taylor, and just in general because his show sucks. IF YOU LISTEN TO THAT TOOL, YOU SHOULD STOP.

Posted by: BandG | September 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:33 PM

Right, Campbell should be benched because he ran into one sack. Another good call.

Um, Moss pulled up on the long pass. That wasn't missed by Campbell.

There was nowhere else to go on 4th and 9 (not 13). Unless you didn't actually watch him buy time for himself hoping to find a downfield receiver.

Unless you were actually talking about the 3rd and 13 play, where yes I'm sure it was Campbell's fault that Moss ran 4 yards. On that play, it's up to Campbell to force Moss to run that route deeper, or to force Zorn to call a play that actually runs a route near the 1st down marker. Right.

I've been convinced. Campbell is done. Put in Colt Brennan. This season is lost without him.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:33 PM

OK, time to regroup. Campbell was sacked once. Moss stopped on that deep ball.

On 4th and 13, that short pass was nuts. But why was a play called on 4th and 13 that had the best WR running a 4 yard pattern? Huh ???

As for Campbell being familiar with the system? No. Nor is the rest of the offense, apparently.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Shotgun formation is for college kids operating out of the spread offense; not professional quarterbacks in the NFL.

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with the gun being a college only option but i would say that it should for the most part be saved for playing Madden and 3rd/4th & long.

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Campbell ran the west coast in college, that's familiar, I didn't say he knows it forward to back and has every play in the playbook down, but come on, its a system he went 13-0 as a senior not very long ago and he's been working with Zorn daily for months on it.....how can he be so confused?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone please agree to stop making excuses for Jason Campbell.

Please?

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:37 PM

Sure. We'll make excuses for the offensive line, the coaches, and the WRs instead.

Campbell sucks. All of the above would be infinitely better with with Colt Brennan or Todd Collins playing QB. No doubt in my mind.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Chia

two words

Brady

Manning

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember Bethard trading 2 first rounders in '89 for old George Rogers, I mean Gerald Riggs, because Joe wanted another "big back"; then leaving the Skins? Five years later, he had S.D. in the super bowl w/ our boy Stan "the man" Humphries, who should've started over Rypien but Gibbs like's vet's over younger players at the QB spot. Remember how Gibbs wanted /blew a first round pick on desmond howard? I think Chester Mcglockton and Dale Carter (two pro bowlers) were available later in the first. Bobby would've traded down and picked up at least one of them. From Bobby to stupid Casserly to mongoloid snyderatto. Two roads diverged in the burgundy and gold woods in 1989 and DC sadly took the one that turns into quicksand. And that has made all the difference....

Posted by: Realness | September 8, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

psps23, things seemed to go a lot better last year with Todd Collins.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sage was a Shottenhiemer pick not Spurrier

Posted by: OC Skins | September 8, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

psps ... on the same page. didn't recall it was a 3rd and 13 or 4th and 11 or what. But I do recall wondering "why Moss is 4 yards downfield when we need over 10?"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone please agree to stop making excuses for Jason Campbell.

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:37 PM

Once he gets a big Campbell's Soup contract like McNabb's, he'll start playing like McNabb. Until then, he's playing like hash.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Something else JC lacks (i'm not a basher) is a really good play action fake. did you see favre's fake on the 56yd. TD pass? Sweet. Also Peyton has an excellent fake from the strech run that is a stable for Indy. I think that is one reason they didn't beat chicago last night because peyton couldn't get out to the hash because of his knee and the ad to toss the ball rather than have the option to play action pass....

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Realness forgets that only 2 years later, behind QB Rypien, and the short yardage running game led by Riggs, that the Redskins WON THE MOTHERF***ING SUPER BOWL. Where is the awards committee for stupid posts?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Realness;

The hindsight thing is old... but it applies. If we had draft McGlockton, there is no guarantee he would have ended up a HOF-er.

There are infinite numbers of possibilities in this world. Fitting every scenario into and true and flase two way world doesnt work... it happen, its done, thats it.

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM

JC did miss Moss on that play. Santana got open immediately as the DB bit on the out-and-up. JC took way too long to deliver the pass. That does not excuse Moss from pulling up on the route, but JC needed to deliver that ball much sooner.

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet (if you are the REAL Chia Pet), you just made my ITA list. You have no idea about what you are seeing on the TV, assuming you even watched the game. Eli looked "sharp enough to win the game" for one single quarter ... which is not real tough to do after returning to his home stadium after winning a Super Bowl and the crowd has been pumping for an hour, including with the dancing Strahan under the supersized Lombardi. I've said too much already.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Brady and Manning are Super Bowl Champions and All-Pros. What do they have to do with the 20th rated passer in the NFL in 2007 who had a losing record as a starter?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Sage was a Shottenhiemer pick not Spurrier

Posted by: OC Skins | September 8, 2008 1:51 PM

Yeah, Spurrier's pick was Gabril Hamdan, who threw a few passes against us for Buffalo in pre-season. The guy has succeeded beyond Casey Bramlett's wildest dreams.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

All I'm saying is ya'll must be watching different games than me, cause I haven't seen anything to convince me that JC is a legit starter in the NFL. He won less games than Brunel did, he got outshined by Todd Collins last year, and he looked terrible against the Giants. I'm not saying that Colt should play, but I am saying that JC has a short leash in my opinion and if he struggles the next 5 or 6 weeks that Todd deserves a shot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I feel good about this week. Hopefully, getting Springs back will help, and we'll see if this offense can't get going...

Also, is anyone else already royally screwed in their fantasy leagues?

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM

THANK YOU!!!! SOMEBODY WAS WATCHING THE GAME!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Cambell looks better out of the shotgun; let him use on anything longer than 3rd and 3. He again showed at the end of the 1st half that he is better in the hurry up/no huddle, and throws better out of the gun.
I do think the shotgun is here to stay, and I can't think of a super bowl winner that hasn't used it since our 91 Skins.....
I also think game 2 will be very telling as to how many points our offense can score against a defense that is of the caliber of the Saints' defense.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Matt, maybe Moss was open sooner, but when the deep ball was in the air, Moss had slowed down and pulled up before he got back onto his route.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Anon, if that was directed at me, my post was in response to the person who said shotgun was for college... I gave two examples where it isnt.... great examples at that...

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

he slowed up because he broke open and the ball wasn't there, he said so himself, he assumed JC had been sacked it took so long for him to throw the ball.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

psps23, things seemed to go a lot better last year with Todd Collins.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:51 PM

Yes, because that had nothing to do with the defense holding Adrian Peterson to 26 yards rushing, Marion Barber to negative 6 yards rushing, Tony Romo to 0 TDs and 1 INT, Travaris Jackson to 0 TDs and 1 INT, or Eli Manning to 184 yards on 52 pass attempts.

It also had nothing to do with Santana Moss and Randle El getting healthy for the first time since the first few weeks (which coincidentally was when everybody was on JC's nuts). No, it was all Collins.

And boy, did we sure look good when he was throwing those back-to-back picks in the playoffs.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 1:35 PM

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM

What you forget is that while this was happening, JC was busy ducking a rusher and had to reset. Granted, he should have reset quicker.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Re Shotgun: not for college kids:
From the Wiki article on history of Shotgun formation,

In recent years, fewer and fewer teams use the shotgun since the two-deep (or Tampa) zones allow effective defense against offenses that don't or can't run the ball. Most NFL teams only use the shotgun on obvious passing downs or when they are behind and need to pass almost every down to catch up. Many college quarterbacks, such as Vince Young (now with the Tennessee Titans) who almost exclusively used the shotgun at Texas, have difficulty adapting to NFL offenses where most snaps are taken under center. The shotgun formation is often run during 2nd-and-long or 3rd-and-long situations to give the quarterback enough time before the receivers run deep routes. However, Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts often audibles to plays that use this formation to take advantage of the fast receivers like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to gain handsome yardage in a single play. In 2007, the New England Patriots used the shotgun with great effectiveness as a base formation for one of the most potent offenses in the history of the NFL.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh swell, now it's a food blog. One week out of the gate and we're talking condiments. Greg Poupon

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think we all see what JC could be, we drank the Peter King Kool-Aid (i knew dude was an idiot) and we all REALLy want to see our Skins back on top and don't want to give up on JC but how the hell does Dallas find Romo and we use our 1st round pick and our getting majorly outplayed at the QB spot

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 8, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

psps;

also I would say TC didnt get touched by any pass rush in those games he won... Seattle got to him repeatedly and we still almost won the game...

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM

If you watched the game and put the two replays together (one with the camera on Moss and one with the camera on JC), you'd realize that Moss broke open as JC was escaping pressure (no surprise there). That play wasn't on JC. He got rid of it as soon as he could.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

psps23, are you secretly Jason Campbell? I'm sorry man, Collins played better than JC, yeah we played good defense down that stretch too, but Collins produced and produced more than JC.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

two words

Brady

Manning

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 1:48 PM

Er, meant:

[Cassell]

Manning

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Anon, who got the players that won that SB? I'll give you a hint: His last name starts w/ a B. We all want this team to win. At least as a franchise, DC has it's own blueprint that brought 3 trophies to town. We know how to get there and how not to. Fight for old DC...

Posted by: Realness | September 8, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM

SpiceyBBQ sauce

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

and I watched every second of that playoff game, I thought TC played courageously against a fierce pass rush and made some plays, there were a few drops, one of those picks was on santanna, and yeah his physical limitations got exposed some, but he still outplayed JC last year and unless JC gets it together soon I think Todd deserves a shot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

True anon, true

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet | September 8, 2008 1:45 PM

Seriously?? I'm pretty sure Brady runs a high percentage of plays from shotgun for the Pats. same as manning, romo, and severl other "preofessional quarterbacks in the NFL"

Posted by: BandG | September 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

... for missing Santanna on a deep ball, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:33 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:58 PM

So which is it? Did Campbell miss Moss on the "deep ball"? Or did Moss quit on the deep ball?

I'm just saying that if Moss caught the deep ball thrown, there wouldn't be all this p!ssing and moaning about a game that the Skins played well, but not before getting blown out in the 1st quarter (in a game that is almost a statistical gimme to the Super Bowl champ). If Moss was there to catch the ball, all of a sudden the Skins beat the Super Bowl champs at home and Jimzorn is a genius and Jason Campbell is getting speschy speschy Thai party favors up here ... (and I would be on the other side all of THAT "expert" analysis up here).

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 1:54 PM

THANK YOU!!!! SOMEBODY WAS WATCHING THE GAME!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:55 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! You never give up on a play. Just ask David Tyree and Eli Manning. QBs get into trouble all the time where they can't throw when they want to. It Santana's job to be ready when Campbell can get it to him.

Campbell did pretty well on these busted plays last year. Skins WRs know this . JC is not an easy guy to bring down.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

first of all, JC did not miss Moss on that play, if you go back and watch it, when JC drop back to throu the DE was coming aroung the corner and JC steped up and to the side in order to even get the pass off. by time he did that Moss had slowed down and JC still through it. so it was a more on the offensive line than JC or Moss

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM

Cole slaw.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I once played football with a DT named Cole Slaw. He was enormous, fast and most of all quite a character. That leads me to wonder if this team is lacking (among other things) in characters. We don't have any wild anuses, like we used to with Riggo, Diron Talbert, etc.

Posted by: Rufus T. Firefly | September 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

to wit sween,

I say S Moss wasnt down on that circus catch... you cant be down by contact before you possess the ball... I would be like gibbs to goddell on that one... it is 14 - 16 at that point

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

JC aint getting no big contract like mcnabb got until he at least performs at the level the young mcnabb played at.. JC isnt even close to what mcnabb was doing by year 2, much less what he was doing in year 4.
would you have wanted tony banks to get a long term contract ? well, that's exactly who JC is looking more and more like each year...

Posted by: shally | September 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I like a bbq sauce on my burger, or an italian dressing....cl is this ok?

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Zorn,

Please use this pregame speech on Sunday.

That is all.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM

Tomato, guacamole, pickles, grilled onions, roasted red peppers, coleslaw, A-1 steak sauce.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

so now that week one is over....I still say Campbell is a bust...and I further this by responding to all the posts telling me that Colt is a rookie and it was preseason..."ya can't start a rookie" Hmmm I saw 2 rookie QBs with 2 rookie head coaches not only win yesterday...but the those rookie QBs looked fantastic and moved their offenses well.....They both looked better than Campbell ever has in their first freakin game...Sorry I don't buy all your excuses ...Campbell sucks!

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM
Your mom.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, psps23
Agreed. Moss pulled up on the play and he should never do that... never. Still, with that being said, Moss did get open quickly and JC was beginning to get pressured (which, as you mentioned, he alluded). But that ball needed to come out of his hands within seconds of being snapped. Moss got open quickly.
What makes Manning, Brady, and Romo (I hate to say it) so good is that they make quich decissions and get the ball out of their hands. Hopefully JC will develop this as he gets more comfortable in this offense, but I am starting to doubt it.

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is what I come here for, the never-ending optimism and excuse making for this front-office, coaches, team, and QB. Its always something that isn't somebody's fault that caused us to lose. I think Norv taught everybody this, he always had good excuses for why everybody played well and yet they still lost. Personally, I'm tired of everybody wasn't healthy, or the blocking, or the schemes, or the blah blah blah, good players make plays, we have a limited number of those on this team and JC isn't one of them, that's the bottom line, excuse it away if you want to, but eventually we'll have to admit it and move on.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I had a dream last night that Dan no longer owned the team and JLC no longer wrote hate-filled 'Skins articles. ...I want to spend more time in my dream world.

Posted by: Heaven | September 8, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:01 PM

Collins did produce more - doesn't mean he's better. Doesn't mean he played better either. Campbell was working with James Thrash, Keenen Mccardell, and Reche Caldwell for much of the season. Campbell was playing behind a makeshift o-line that had never played together before.

Collins was playing with a healthy Moss and a healthy ARE. The line was playing lights out during that stretch, as was Clinton Portis. Collins played very well, I won't knock him on that, but the results of the team were NOT purely because of Collins. Campbell would have played the same way IMO, just like he did @ Dallas and vs. Detroit.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Zebra, I had no idea what to make of that circus catch ... other than that I loved the effort. Would that have been a first down? He got up and ran with it, right? There wasn't a whistle ... until he ran. Once the whistle blew AFTER he started running, I figured there was no face saving way the refs could have changed their minds. If he had just laid there (or maybe gotten up and downed the ball), would it have been reviewable?

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

2. WRs were the weakest unit
-- sure looked that way
3. Campbell looked 'overcoached'

After the game:
4. Campbell looked much better out of the shotgun.

and most important of all ....

5. Game 2 will be more telling than game 1

Posted by: AL Zeke

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back Zeke!

The Wr's are one of many weak links on this team, and will continue to be so.
obvious, not visionary

JC overcoached? so he doesn't need to learn anything at all about the new system? He's demonstrated this fact through his exemplary body of work? again, ridiculous comment.

most Qb's look good out of the shotgun as it does afford more time to discern the play, trouble is, you can't rely on it for the whole game.

what exactly do you mean more telling for game 2? If they lose, what then? If they win? That doesn't change the fact they are deficient in many areas, it may however, add another hue to the rose colored glasses of the "too loyal fan base for this mediocrity!'

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Ok, let's go back a little bit to TH's game. We all read, talk about the OL and DL. They were awful, but how come NO ONE says anything about CHris Cooley? I admit he is a great pass catching TE, but did you see the way he "blocked" on running plays? That was disgraceful. I would love to have 11 Clinton Portis in my offense. I just love the way he plays with and without the ball. Why can't Cooley have that passion for blocking? Heck Why can't the OL have that same passion?

Posted by: Henry71 | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM

Dude, I couldn't agree more; I too have the game on TiVo (I'm embarrassed to admit) and no one called out Chris Cooley on his lousy play! I've seen WRs block better than Cooley did against the Giants. He must be injured (or pouting -- hopefully not), but I know he blocked better than that last season.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM

special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, sesame seed bun

Posted by: Ronald M. | September 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

most of you guys are like politicians, you leave out vital info to support your claim,

Exhibit A- Young Mcnab- he has been in the same system for 10 years, early in his career when he did not fully understand the system he used his legs to escape

Exhibit B- Vinny Testeverde- easier for a vet to come into a new system and manage a team, than a young QB to learn a new system and manage. Vets have a experience on game decisions, young QB's dont

Exhibit C- Favre- Favre threw 1 good touchdown yesterday, and 1 hail mary and they were 1 play away from losing.

Final point- when presenting info,make sure you present all of it

and God Bless America

I am the Great One and I approve this message

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Put your money where your mouth is, and if you're TRULY fed up, stop posting, and go follow another team.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I hear that Billy Kilmer guy is available: shotgun, no shotgun; run and shoot; heck, run by himself, he'll do it all

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

all I know is for the first time in years our offense looked potent for an extended period of time....not just a game here, or a half there, or a series or two, but for 4 games in a row we looked dangerous on offense, and that came with a 87 year old noodle armed statue of a qb at the helm. that says it all about JC right there...

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM

I thought I would ad to this ...people respond by telling me to show stats...oh well....here is Campbells stats....it's just "stellar" if ya ask me...What a joke. of course the next rebutt will be "rookie head coach" "new system" blah blah blah

Like I said above two rookie Qbs with two rookie head coachs and not only did they win the Qbs performances looked great. But our rookie QB is not ready cause he is a rookie..whatever!

But anyway here is Campbell great and wonderful stats

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM

Actually, he was called out numerous times in previous threads. Expecting a passing TE to take out 1 of the Gints DE's 1 on 1 is ludicrous. That said, some effort would have been nice.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Henry71 | September 8, 2008 12:22 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM

COOLEY..was wide open many times in the first game...Campbell never got the ball to him or didn't see him...

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

... Hopefully JC will develop this as he gets more comfortable in this offense, but I am starting to doubt it.

Posted by: Matt | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM

Fair enough. For me, its glass half full. No doubt that Campbell was hesitating ... and not TRUSTING the play as called. Maybe he has a pick fear he needs to get over. I dunno. I did see him forcing the ball out when he was supposed to, but then the receiver wasn't there ... or there was a penalty somewhere else on the field. The forced trust didn't get rewarded. In time, however, I think it will build. At least, I hope so.

zfjr2, its going to be a long long time before I make excuses or get optimistic about the front office. Just like Campbell with Jimzorn's playbook, its going to take a while to earn my trust (though in Campbell's case, the playbook has not repeatedly betrayed trust).

4-12, it was about "a" condiment. You gotta pick one.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Quick, name a condiment for burgers that's better than ketchup...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 1:57 PM

carolina style bbq, or an egg thats pretty good too

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

make all the excuses you want for Campbell....You are either a QB in this league or your not. Saying thinsg like.."new system" "Wrs too small" "wr can't run routes" "over coached" whatever..it's all BS excuses.....

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back Zeke!

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM

Not to worry about my arm. More worried about pulling hammy. Not sure how that would happen, but it seems to be the fashionable injury.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:13 PM

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM

Campbell has played against bad teams too....and he lost all of them!

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:20 PM

So because I like the Redskins, I can't criticize or point out the obvious, I'm just supposed to blindly follow and hope beyond hope and reason that we're one FA or perfectly healthy season away from a Lombardi? And now we see why Snyder owns the richest franchise in football with a terrible track record and continually chaotic team, its the I.Q. of the fanbase that just keeps going along. I am a Skins fan for life, and I will watch every game and route for the Skins always, doesn't mean I have to agree with what they are doing or to agree that JC is legitimate starter in the NFL when after four seasons he's still below average at best.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 8, 2008 2:20 PM

After January 21st, Dick Cheney will be available ... but I don't think I want to be in the same field as Dick Cheney and a shotgun.

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM

Well, I guess you missed me being extremely critical of the offensive line, the WRs, Jim Zorn, and the Front Office for the last few weeks.

I wasn't as critical of JC because I thought he played decent, considering what was going on around him. Was JC perfect? Of course not. But I can assure you that replacing JC with Todd Collins would NOT have produced a potent offense last week. The routes were awful, the playcalling was awful, the clock management was awful (and Zorn took responsibility for it), passes were dropped, our linemen were beaten, our personnel was depleted, our offense was out of sync, yet some of you want to put all that blame on JC and suggest that it could be fixed by inserting Todd Collins. Insane.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

looks like a beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

so in other words, you're a whiney b*tch.....thanks for clarifying....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sween, it was complete, down by contact short of the first. He was tripped as the ball came to him, bounced off of him, he fell down with the ball rolling around, defender now gone, he makes the catch, gets up and then the refs blow the whistle... no one around him, he is gone to the house.

No possession until way after the trip/down by contact touch...

I hate that rule... all plays of down by contact or if it was a catch should wait til the play is truely over then review it to get it right.. that will be the next major rule change.

The impetus is on the refs to let that go then they make an 'official' review not charging any team.

those type of bang bang plays can decide a game and they should stop making it so subjective...

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"and suggest that it could be fixed by inserting Todd Collins. Insane."

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:27 PM

Who said anything about putting Collins in?

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM

And we played against a defense that has never been great against the pass and lost half of its sack totals from a year ago and replaced it with Justin Tuck and Kiwanuka....good players sure but not Strahan and Osi.....we should have been better.....or are we just saying now that if the other team is an above average team its ok to not have a 1st freaking down for a quarter and a half until your punter gets roughed?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Dangola, you food guys is makin me hungrier than Randy White at RFK.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I do agree that JC waits until the Receiver is open, he does not do a good job of leading his receivers. he usually throws the ball after the receiver has made his break instead of throwing it while their making their breaks, so that the ball is there when they turn around.

Posted by: Great One | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Leevi,

If you think Flacco would give the Skins a better chance to beat the Saints than Campbell, then you are out of your mind. Also, what round what Ryan taken in? How about Flacco? Ok, now compare that to Colt? Notice a difference? Not all rookies are created equal.

Lets give the guy more than 1 game to show what he can do in a new offense. Can we get agreement on that?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 8, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM

Week 1 is when Zorn got his first look at everything he has put in place ... and sees what works and what doesn't ... at real speed.

He should now have a much better understanding of this team and its issues. With 10 days to address them, week 2 should tell of us a lot more about where this team is headed than week 1.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

After yesterday, i actually have hope for the skins to go better than 1-15 this season. There is no reason they shouldn't beat Detroit and St. Louis. So 2-14 would be nive. That's 50% more wins than I earlier predicted. I wonder if Bill Coweher is watching?

I se 41-6 Saints this weekend.

Posted by: Danny's Boyz | September 8, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"No, it's sad that folks on this blog are ready to fold up shop over a loss on the road to the defending champions. Last year we needed overtime to beat a 1-15 team. The obvious difference in the standings aside, which is worse?

We've seen teams start 0-2 and go to the Super Bowl. The Pats went 14-2 after a 2-2 start (the last loss coming to our Skins at the hand of Steve f-ing Spurrier) to win it all. I'm not saying that this is a Super Bowl team (far from it), but how are the prospects for a 8 or 9 win season now derailed? THEY'RE NOT!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2008 12:43 PM

First of all, Brownwood, I hope that's your name, and not a condition (or the current state of your - um, member);

Secondly, unless you believe in the Easter bunny, or you just happened to miss ALL of the games on TV yesterday, you'd know, like most of the other posters here, that the season is, indeed, OVER. I have no idea how the 'Skins will manage even one win, considering their lack-luster play, shell-shocked head coach and their killer schedule. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- JCampbell should retire NOW-- He shouldn't wait for the NFL to chew him up and spit him out. I'm certain he's a fine young man, and will make a good co-paster at his dad's church, but he does not have the temperment, intelligence, or confidence to play quarterback (or even punter) in the NFL. Gibbs/Snyder/Cerrato missed big on this kid.

Posted by: Guisher | September 8, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

so instead of talking about what went wrong last thursday, how do we correct it this sun?

Posted by: SAK | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Derek Anderson
James Kilian
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:29 PM

I would hope the direction Vinny wants to go is whatever will help us win. West coast, east coast, gulf coast, shores of Lake Michigan, whatever moves the ball down the field. Who we have is who we have. It's not gonna change. If the players can't adapt to the offense, then the offense is going to have to adapt to the players. At least until the FO can get players who might be a better fit in the coming years.

Posted by: will_ga | September 8, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 1:48 PM

Plus Campbell didn't have to do much at Auburn because he had Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams in the back field.

Posted by: enuffalready | September 8, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Leevi,

Posted by: Mike H. | September 8, 2008 2:31 PM

Mike, I would love nothing more than to see Campbell succeed and take us all the way...But after being in this league as long as he has, I'm not feeling it dude.

I'm not saying that Flacco is better for OUR team I'm saying 2 rookies with a rookie head coachs looked btter than Campbell ever has in their first game. So let's keep making excuses for campbell like always....I'm not into holding hands ...and a pat on the back..."it's of it will get better with time hang in there" How much longer do we do this? He has had plenty of time to show something...and I'm not buying.

Posted by: Leevi | September 8, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

what is the beep beep for? it's annoying, and doesn't add a thing to the postings

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Lots of discussion about WCO up here today. All I know is yesterday I watched Phily, which I believe runs some version of the WCO, and McNabb was throwing it well downfield consistently. Sure there were plenty of other passes that were short of 10 yds, but on THIRD DOWN, McNabb NEVER passes it underneath, meaning always 10-yards in the air.

Skins need to forget YAC on third down, throw out those plays.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"beep beep" is short for, hey jive turkeys there a new post, move along to it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke

well put Zeke! Agreed.
I, like my friend above, Leevi, seem to be over hanging in there, yet another season, it's going to get better, one more player, etc...

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Redskins O-Line and D-Line are aging and beat up. Anyone notice how poorly Mark Bulger has performed in St. Louis as there line has aged and suffered injuries over the last couple of years? It's impossible to judge how much Jason Campbell would have developed with some continuity in systems and coaching. He made a lot of strides last year under Al Saunders, but was not able to finish out drives in the red zone or end of games (i.e. N.Y., Dallas, and TB).

Vinny and Snyder made it inevitable that the team would lack chemistry and continuity when they passed over Williams as head coach. There's a reason none of the tops assistants from other teams wanted the job; only a retread like Jim Fassel who was out of football wanted it. If Williams was hired, the offensive system would have stayed fairly similar even if Saunders had left. The chemistry and pride developed in 2007 would have likely carried over to 2008. It still might have only produced a 9-7 team, but the Redskins would have been competititive.

Look at a 3-13 or 4-12 team with Zorn taking the fall after the season. Let's only hope that Snyder also axes his racquestball buddy Vinny and brings in a respected football man to run the team and hire a coach.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse