Smoot on Tryon: 'He'll Be Fine'

Second-year cornerback Justin Tryon was repeatedly beaten for long gains in last week's 23-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache and secondary coach Jerry Gray made it clear to him he must play better, and they were encouraged by Tryon's performance in camp this week. Although veteran Fred Smoot is the projected nickel corner, the Redskins are counting on Tryon to provide depth behind Smoot and starters DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers. And if Tryon proved to be effective in the slot (he struggled there against the Ravens), well, then that would just create more options for Blache.

The Redskins selected Tryon in the fourth round of the 2008 draft, and guys selected that high are supposed to be capable of doing more than just playing special teams.

One member of the organization told me he's convinced that Tryon possesses the talent to replace Smoot next season as the nickel corner.

Tryon clearly is a hard worker, and the kid has made strides in practice from last season. Eventually, however, he must prove he can play in games.

"C'mon now, it's still real early for the young fella," said Smoot, one of Tryon's mentors on the team. "He's only had one year; he's still getting it figured out. We're teaching him and he's doing a good job learning what he has to do. You don't come in knowing everything about this game, so you watch and learn. I'm sure you could teach a young reporter a few things."

Tryon has the right mind-set to succeed as an NFL corner, Smoot said.

"He doesn't get down on himself, he just goes right back at it," he said. "It's like Deion [Sanders] told me when I was a rookie: The only corners in this league that don't get beat are the ones standing on the sideline. You're gonna get beat. You just have to bounce back, and that's what [Tryon] does. I'm not worried about him. He'll be fine."

By Jason Reid  |  August 21, 2009; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Ready To Get Back in the Game
Next: Facing Long Odds, Young Tailbacks Keep Rolling

Comments

keep this post quiet, don't want the whole real/fake FJZ moron coming over here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 21, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

wont last...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

here he comes......

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

If only MistaMoe was still alive. He'd put the smackdown on that stupid FJZ guy instanter.

MistaMoe, you funny!

Posted by: rgj21 | August 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"You just have to bounce back, and that's what [Tryon] does. I'm not worried about him. He'll be fine."

Tryon will be fine because UPS pays well

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 21, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Until he gets his mind right on the field, he is known to me as Justin Tyron.

Not deserving of correct punctuation yet.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I have been very critical of Tryon. He clearly did not understand the game vrs the Ravens, as he consistently gave the wrs 10 yards of cushion even when it was 3rd and 5. He made the tackle and finished the play but he continually got beat and got beat badly to the inside. As a slot corner you can't do that. The easiest route to run form the slot is a quick slant in the middle of the field, and if were in a cover 2 man or something with 2 safeties deep there is not a lot of help sitting there in the middle, so if he misses the tackle, the wr could be running for awhile.

However, Tryon is young, and does have electric speed. He seems to be a decent tackler, which is key in our system and he does have decent mentors, in mr. 28 himself, and Carlos and even Smoot. It is too early to give up on him, but if he continues to give 10 yards cushion on 3rd and 5's... he clearly doesn't belong in this league.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Giving him credit, he did put a nice lick on Derrick Mason at the goal line in the Ravens scrimmage.

At some point, we gotta start seeing dividends.

Posted by: psps23 | August 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

psps, all dividends shall be paid in bonus points. Caveat emptor.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 21, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually it is WaPo's fault for choosing a text script with ambiguity. There is a userid that has posted as LarryInClintonMD that could also read as LarrylnClintonMD - either a guy from Clinton MD or a MD named Larryln Clinton.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"but if he continues to give 10 yards cushion on 3rd and 5's..."

I thought you give cushions to WRs that are fast. If Tyron is that fast then why is he giving cushions on any down?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Moe ain't dead.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:27 PM |

Because if he gets too close they put moves on him.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey WTF?

There is a daily poster that is missing today....

I'm not going to say any names, but I think they're one of those that shall not be spoken of.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with cushions on 1st and 10, and 2nd and 8 or something like that... even 2nd and 5, thats fine, teams typically do curls and posts and flags, and even throw deep more there... but when its 3rd and 5 and you are in the slot you have to realize that theres a 80% chance the wr is going to run a slant... and a 20% chance hes running a curl... either way you have to be up on him and hit him in the mouth as he starts his route to disrupt the timing of the play and stop them from getting the easy yards. Make the qb throw it outside or dump it down but dont give up an easy slant...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WHATS WITH THE DOG SMELLING WHITE PEOPLE IN THIS ROOM

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

this is the problem with people like FJZ... because they are annoying they force people to stop coming and commenting and thus kill all conversations on blogs like this... people leave and they no longer get the attention they so desperately seek, while at the same time they ruin it for those of us who actually want to talk redskins football...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

ITA

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'M THE REAL FJZ GUY WHAT THE *ELL ARE ANYONE OF YOU WHITE FOLKS GOING TO DO ABOUT IT !!!!

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

LETS TALK ABOUT RACE !!!
JASON "UNCLE TOM"REID IS FAT BLACK MAN WITH A WHITE WIFE !!!!!

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 3:41 PM

Out of line, We put up with you on your stupid email comment but this is way out of line. You can be funny and cause trouble but dont be disrespectful.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 21, 2009 4:13 PM

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

WERES JASON "UNCLE TOM" REID AT ?? WHY DID HE MARRY A WHITE WOMAN ANYWAY ITS PLENTY OF BLACK WOMEN OUT THERE ON WELFARE WHO CAN USE HIS SALARY FROM THE POST !!

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

ITA people. Ignore the A-hole.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:27 PM |

Because if he gets too close they put moves on him.

Posted by: BirnamWood

But because of his quickness, he should be able to recover, right? And they can only put moves on his if they have space to do so. If he at the most playing 5 yards off his man they wouldn't be able to do nothing more than push off a little.

But with a cushion they can stutter step (put the moves on) or simply just go underneath to beat him.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 4:31 PM

And then Squiggy would appear with a "Hello."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Red,

Just because he has speed doesn't mean he knows how to use it. He might be fast, but he might not know the system all that well and thus he is giving the cushion to give him time to realize what is going on around him...

Also, it doesn't really matter where the db lines up, you can put moves on anyone at anytime, unless you are being bumped... which again we do not do very much... so its more that I dont thikn Tryon is comfortable in the system and the fact that he does not trust himself, or his intial read of the wr's break... I think he jumps routes to often and didn't want to do that in a game...

That is me personally, I could be wrong... but I just think he doesn't quite trust himself, nor does he trust the system yet.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that this makes me feel better about Tryon, but I do feel better about Smoot. Everything Smoot says makes me feel better about him. I hope he can still play as well as he can talk.

Smoot has to be the best long term impact that Schottenheimer has had on the Redskins. Does anyone have his EMAIL ADD? I'd like to shoot him a sincere "thank you."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:49 PM |

A WR doesn't put moves on a DB that gives him a 10 yard cushion. He doesn't need to. If the DB gives him a 1 yard cushion he can fake a route break and leave him in the dust.

Posted by: BirnamWood | August 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

ITA people. Ignore the A-hole.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 21, 2009 4:42 PM |

Is that what that means? People said that a lot when I started posting up here. I thought it meant "Impressive Talent Avaluator." I was flattered and never bothered to point out their spelling errors.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

indeed, peeps.

if he can't trust himself, then he lacks confidence. if he lacks confidence he shouldn't be on the field.

mouthy people like Tyron are always shielding something.

loudest one = weakest one

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 4:58 PM

Keep your comments pertaining to the actual article ! Leave the Marty S. search up to me. Find your own lane, Jerk.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

BirnamWood.. that is completely wrong... wrs put moves on every route... cutting is a move... faking in and going out is a move... stuttering is a move...

All of those happen on every single route... even GO routes have moves in them... so it doesn't matter where the DB lines up, the wr is going to try to put some kind of "move" on him.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

lh, you were damn near on cue with that one...

LMAO!!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

loudest one = weakest one

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 5:03 PM

Does this apply on RI, too, or is it just in athletics. Cause I know who the loudest one is. Actually I don't. I think it's a dead heat among about 12 guys.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Red,

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse
======================================
I believe Tryon is a nickel back at best, he doesn't have the confidence and maybe like you've stated, the skill set to be slot or shut down corner. He doesn't have the strength to play bump and run with a receiver, although he does have the speed.

He's prone to bite on the double move (then again so is CR), and because of the cushion he gives, QB's will slant him or skinny post him to death. When I played QB we were always coached to look for the corner or DB like Tryon: "Look for the guy who trusts more in his support than he does in own abilities. That's the guy you pick on." The plus side is all the things he's lacking is coachable, but in my own opinion, he should have overcome these things by now. I could be wrong, but I believe he spent all of last year on the practice squad. I'm like you peoplearestupid1, the jury is still out on the guy, but the time is slipping fast for him.

Posted by: clark202 | August 21, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

lh - That was money. How did you find it? Did you do it yourself or pay a professional?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to hear Smoot quoting Deion.

I guess Deion was here for Smoot's rookie year??

Funny, though...I don't remember Deion getting beat that much...at least not like Tryon.

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

your 8

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 21, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey FJZ,

I don't have Marty's email, but I have Leigh Torrence's email. He may be the answer to the secondary's depth issues. He can be reached here: toast@thebigeasy.com

Posted by: clark202 | August 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Big Ben has an Achilles injury.

Guessing we won't see him.

Not that it matters to me; just want to see offense score a TD or 2.

...and see JC17 throw something other than a check-down or a medium crossing route.

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Also, since when does race have anything to do with selecting a mate to be more direct a selecting a woman. Most men are happy to have one thats happy to have him, regardless of race. I bet you sleep alone, but yet you have the audacity to talk about who another man chooses to be with, dude thats totally inappropriate. This guy is desperate for attention, so if you give it to him then your part of the problem.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Smart post clark... like your style...

Have to say that he has the ability. The problem isn't in his skill set, as he is fast, has fluid hips and can tackle pretty well for a guy who is 5'9. Its more in his head. He knows he cant cover these guys... its obvious. Look at him as wrs cut. He is always a second late and is always reacting afterwards. I have never seen him, and to be fair hes only played in what 5 games and I've been to 2 practices.. so I've watched him 7 times in his career.. but he never seems to anticipate anything. It is always reactionary and he is always playing scared.

He is afraid to make the big mistake, and as a corner you can't do that. I hate to say it, but you have to get beat, burned and made to look stupid. You have to anticipate and jump routes and learn tendencies and he just doesn't seem to have that in his mindset. He is all about playing it safe and making the sure tackle.. but he just can't seem to realize that you have to break plays up and stop wrs from gaining 5-10 yards a play.

You are right clark, what he lacks is coachable, but I dont think he'll ever figure it out. There is time, and I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't seem him as a Redskin next year.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Blog-Wide Warning:

Please Don't Feed Trolls

*Feeding trolls disrupts the natural environment of the RI blog by keeping them around. More than anything, trolls crave attention - positive or negative. Deny them what they crave and they will begin to starve and move on to a different habitat.

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

If tryon makes this team as a cb it will be a real shame. If they used him as a kick returner as he was in college, i could see some value in it, but he can't catch a cold. What would make Smoot think that he will ever do otherwise is beyond me unless he was just being nice.

Also read the Reid story on Betts earlier. What exactly has Bets done to make anyone think he has earned anything more than a few carries when Portis is winded. If they want to limit his carries while getting someone else the ball, why not try one of the fast RB in camp so there is a change of pace and an actual chance at a big gain. Betts had 10 magical games a couple years ago, and has done nothing at all since. I would prefer to see Adridge, who fumbles just as much but can take it to the house if he gets a seam, Dorsey or mason getting some reps.

As for the five for five article. I really think they are missing the boat if they are not putting mitchell in every package in the pre-season to see if he can do it. He is big, smooth, has some hops, and has clearly the best hands in camp. If that pass to Hagans is Mitchell last week it is 6. Campbell has always sailed his passes. Mitchell is one that can go up and get it. I will be really disappointed if Hackett makesthe team.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 21, 2009 5:16 PM

Dude I'm not a freaking counselor OK ! I can't help you with your personal problems. You seem little depressed. This is a football Blog. I'm just a happy unemployed guy collecting a check that's owed to me for six months. It's science, I don't have to work during football season. I can enjoy my 4000 sq foot home here in Great Falls.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *
new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 21, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Tryon is making the team this year... the coaches like him and "Keith" Barnes is not ready. We do not have anyone else, maybe Westbrook, who could play right now, as Dutch clearly is not ready. Hopefully Tryon is limited to dime situations where he is covering teams 4th wr option... and hopefully that guy sucks everytime.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 21, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

If hackett makes the team it means that Zorn learned nothing about his QB last year. It will mean Zorn is reaching for a mediocre player that knows a west coast offense instead of adapting the game plan to the QB strengths of his strong armed QB and avoiding his obvious weaknesses that include slow thinking. Slow thinking QB's don't make it in the west coast. He needs some play calling that fools the defense a little in to thinking that what looks like the first option isn't. Then Jason would have more time to get to the 3rd WR instead of dumping it off on the check down. Mitchell gives you that WR you can throw it up in the air to.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 21, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

If you hadn't caught it already, Skins article today (from Matt Mosley) on ESPN:

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 21, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse