Snyder and Gibbs Press Conference

Gibbs began by apologizing to owner Daniel Snyder:

"He really didn't want this to happen, so I really appreciate him again over this last day-and-a-half."
Gibbs said he was thinking only of the playoffs, and thought they had a shot at the Super Bowl.

"I really thought we were going to go all the way," Gibbs said. "I was so focused on the season."

After getting back from Seattle Gibbs spoke at length with Snyder about free agency and moving forward. On Sunday afternoon after meeting with the players for the final time, Gibbs darted back to see his family in North Carolina. He apologized to the players for not being able to tell them himself of his decision, but he had not made it yet ."At that point I was not in position where I felt like I was ready to say anything," Gibbs said.

But after flying home and meeting with his wife and sons and being with his grandkids, with grandson Taylor sick with cancer, he began to make up his mind. "As I flew back I kinda had a really strong feeling in my heart on what I should do," Gibbs said. The price you pay as a coach was mounting and he began to rethink his lifestyle and about to make another life-changing decision.

Gibbs and Snyder talked until about 2:30 AM, Snyder trying to convince him to stay. But Gibbs was firm and Snyder understood that this era was over.

"I just did not feel like I could make the kind of commitment that I needed to make going forward this year knowing what my family situation was," Gibbs said. "I felt like they needed me."

Snyder praised Gibbs at length, and said the entire organization was inspired and indebted to him.

"They so, so much - and we all so much - respect Joe, admire him, and have an appreciation for him," Snyder said. "The players, man, I tell ya, they'd go through a wall for this guy. The bond that he created here was very, very special. They have such admiration and respect for him ... This is something that no one wanted to see happen but all of us respect it and understand it."

Snyder said the front office structure is fine - "if it ain't broke don't fix it," he said - and did not envision hiring a GM or needing to get someone else to oversee personnel.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 8, 2008; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Rooney Rule
Next: My Early Reaction To The Presser

Comments

I totally respect him for that. We all love him and wanted him to come back one more year. But after Taylor death you got to respect him wanting to spend time with them.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Hail JOE!
A man with his priorities straight.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 8, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

He really praising the Dan. Said the Dan understand what he has as the owner of the Skins.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"I had the greatest job in the world for 15 years."

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

new post in the middle of the conference--damn!

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Speaking about the fans and get a little emotional. Greatest fans in the world.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

What "agreement" was come to at 2:30 this morning? His replacement, future position with the team?

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want about the timing of his announcement, what he did or did not tell the players/staff/owner, etc... you have to respect a man who realizes that his job has taken over his life and decides to walk away so that he can spend more time with family. I'm willing to bet that coaching football can be an addiction for some, because they love the game that much, and as we all know, too much of a good thing can be bad for you. So thanks, Coach Joe, for all that you have done. You didn't take us to the Super Bowl again, but you did transform this team from a bunch of me-first individuals into a relatively cohesive unit that took the time to actually care about and help one another, both on and off the field. If nothing else, you have hopefully laid the foundation for your successor to come in and take this team the rest of the way.

Posted by: jaradel | January 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Will be on site ongoing as long as the Dan wants him here. Thinks they have the players in place to get where they want to go. Not that he is trying to get the next coach in trouble.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, though I don't like re-posting, the idea here is not single thread count, but single DAY count. I'm thinking we already might have busted 1K.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I do like that he keeps referring to the team as a "we" - hope that means that he'll be around. He just said that he wants to be a part of things until this thing is finished.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Said the fans deserve a winner and a championship. Still plans to spend time with Skins. I hope his heart came across so everyone understand what it means to him.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

P.E. Major "ballroom dancing and handball"--love it!

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Over the past four years, I have to believe that working with St. Joe has enlightened The Owner re: "football" decision-making, i.e., the difference btwn gardening and going to the grocery store.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

People are hard on Synder. If Joe believes he is such a good guy, as he appears to, he has to be a good guy. Gibbs would never lie to the fans about that.

Posted by: sams3 | January 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The Dan is speaking now

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this will be the best of both worlds for him - he can stay involved as a consultant, offer his opinions on this and that, but be able to spend more time with family and stay at home.

I don't know how his successor will feel about that, though, unless they do promote Grilliams (I don't see them promoting Saunders at this time).

Posted by: jaradel | January 8, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sams3 - I agree with you.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether this got gobbled up in the loseable feast of the last thread, but I hope that, even after Gibbsian principles fade, Gibbspeak will live on forever ... up here ... guts out ... real ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Joe Jacoby in the house!!

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Said the players would go threw a wall for Coach. Fans knows he is a great person. That no one wanted to see it happen but understand respect it. Joe will always be the best of Washington.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Slightly better approach than calling the owner on your cell to tell him that you're quitting - in the middle of a golf game no less.

Posted by: david | January 8, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so Joe.

Posted by: Dorf | January 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He will not have a office at the park. He doesn't want to be a over seeing of the new coach

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs also said he has met with many of the players today and that he thinks they are "on the same page regarding the coaching situation" - he then went onto say "I don't want to get the new coach into trouble."

Posted by: Lisa | January 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

OK I got to rock to the gym. I hope someone keep people inform.

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't like his "war" analogies when he have our troops really in a "war" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be Gregg Williams.

Gibbs wouldn't have said all that if Bill Cowher was going to bring his undershot jaw to Redskins Park.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 8, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Joe says his family told him that he should keep coaching if he wants to, but he thought that he should be with them.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yep... gonna be GW... no doubt..

Posted by: dick | January 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates everyone. Very interesting quotes from Gibby, especially those comments about getting the next coach into trouble.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

i dont know why people are so sensitive with the war analogies. its an analogy for a reason.

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

B/C he's coaching a game--not having limbs blown off by IED, young lives ripped apart by car bombs. It may be "just" an analogy, but it doesn't mean it's a good one.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"...haven't even started the process..." regarding new coach.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it again - I think Grilliams should be the next HC. He was picked by Gibbs, and 3 out of the 4 years he's been here, he has done reasonably well. Better yet, the players respect him, and it would give continuity to a team that has had its share of upheavals over the past 16 years. I have to say that my respect for Grilliams grew this year, particularly after Sean's death - he, like Dan Snyder, showed true emotion and compassion, and the players rallied around him. He can be tough when the situation demands it (ever watched him on the sidelines during a game? He gets fired up!), but he has also proven that he can be the father figure that a coach often needs to be, especially for the young, 20-something players on the team. Players like Sean.

Posted by: jaradel | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan likes where we are and "we are in pretty good shape".

But says that have not started the process of hiring a HC.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The Owner says "continuity is very very important to me" and "I like where we are".

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Jasno just asked Joe about who will be coming in as his replacement (not in so many words), and Joe replied that that's Dan's decision, and that he thinks Dan's feelings about who should take over are like everyone else's at the park.

To me, that says Gregg.

Asked directly about hiring from within, Dan declined to answer.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 03:30 PM

I don't think it's an analogy -- it's a figure of speech. This is the way the coaches like to think about it. And, war has many other uses -- price wars, war on poverty, braves on the warpath, war of words, etc.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

NCICURN I think you need to chill out.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thought it was interesting that Danny hasn't even started the process of findng a new coach. Wouldn't even specify if looking in house or outside.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Joe just (jokingly) told Doc Walker to shut up. Doc asked him if he was going to become a NASCAR workaholic now. Funny. :)

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Warfare analogies, and the use of terms such as "winning individual battles," "preparing our guys to fight hard" have been a part of football coach-speak LONG before Joe Gibbs, and will be LONG afterwards.

And warfare didn't start (and won't end) with Iraq & Afghanistan.

Get some perspective.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

For Snyder to say he already had his guy would be a mistake...especially with the Rooney Rule out there. he has to make it at lease appear there is a chance for someone else.

Posted by: james.harwell | January 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The Owner has to say he hasn't started looking in order to be able to follow the Rooney Rule in fact.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs is CLASS. Always has been. Always will be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

i dont really feel like getting into this discussion right now, but i just think people are way too sensitive on the use of war/battle as analogies. people use the analogy "cancer" to describe locker room distractions like TO, and i have several people very close to me suffering through this disease (and some who have lost to the disease). it doesn't offend me at all to use this term. i think people make it worse by trying to point out the literal definition of the term rather than the contextual definition.

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Dan says Joe has taught him patience, passion, drive.

Joe says Dan was a passionate guy already.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that The Owner doesn't want to answer any more questions. I'm guessing he only showed up because he is really, really bummed that Joe is leaving, so he figured this might add some closure to the idea. It has to be as abrupt for him as it has been for all of us.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Would Grilliams taking over the reins hurt the Defense at all?

Posted by: james.harwell | January 8, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

psps23... well said

Posted by: dick | January 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

As pointed out in the prior post, Rooney Rule doesn't affect in house promotions when they are no additional interviews or choices.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Is this going to St. Joe's LAST presser?

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I dont think they are going to just hand the reigns over to greg just yet, im sure danny wants to see what greg would have in store for the long term, and what visions he has of the future ie:offseason, gameplan, OC if saunders decides to leave. But from what I hear it sounds like he will be the man to take a legends place.

Posted by: SAK2 | January 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs will most likely "advise" Snyder on who the next HC should be, so I feel good about whether or not Grilliams is selected. If he isnt, then Joe who has worked with him for 4 yrs doesnt think he is suitable for the position. If Grilliams is the successor then Joe probably blessed it.

Posted by: JChrisRod | January 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Dan looks like a deer in the headlights. But maybe its because he was up til 3am and knows he has a big job ahead of him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Rooney Rule didnt apply if the incoming coach, who is already in the system, had it in their contract that they would be coach when the time came.

Posted by: james.harwell | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Snyder: Will not be hiring a GM

Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If Grilliams takes over OR leaves after being passed over, I am very confidant in Greg Blanche taking over as D-Cord.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The way John Clayton tells it, the Redskins HAVE to abide by the Rooney Rule and interview candidates even if they ultimately promote Gregg Williams to HC.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

No GM!!!! no change in the structure of the front office. snyder: "if aint broke don't fix it!"

and purely reading between the lines i believe 90% that gregg williams will be the next head coach of the skins.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

according to several of my sources, scouts and personnel executives around the league, all indications are that Coach Gregg Williams will be at the helm!

Posted by: gregskins | January 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, zcezcest

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

he just "have to go thru the process"-gibbs. so yeah gregg will be it. i'll bet double the pot money on that.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I think a lot of the offense guys are saying positive things about Williams really says something. Randle El has played for Cowher and so that is an opinion I would value.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double-post.

This site is acting strange today.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Here is what I wonder: How much do you think Dan offered Gibbs to get him to stay?

I mean, when Snyder wants a guy he offers him more money than anyone else would pay. So how much when he tries "very, very hard" to get him to stay? $8M? $10M? more?

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | January 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

The writing is on the wall with that statement. Cowher wants full control. The job appears to be Grilliams after the team jumps through all of the hoops and goes through all of the motions.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's the NFL briefing on the rule from 12/20/02:

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."

Don't need to conduct interviews depending on GW's contrace.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

People who are saying Williams is a lock are probably the ones who said Joe Gibbs would never leave before his contract is up.

Posted by: jmich001 | January 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Joe gives some love and props to Danny Smith.
Was HE ever a head coach?

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If it aint broke don't fix it??????

Good grief. I'm sorry, I know they appear to be getting better (still ONLY 1 season) with the draft and free agency, but that statement is delusional and hilarious all at the same time.

Lloyd? Arch? Duckett?

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 03:47 PM

btw, this is from the presser that is going on right now. Danny says no GM.

and i'm not saying gregg is 100%. i'm saying i'm reading between the lines of what gibbs and snyder are saying "process"...

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What about Jim Mora.

With the way we come in at the end of the season to make a run. We can get the classic..

PLAYOFF...PLAYOFF?

Posted by: james.harwell | January 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

So am I the only one with a sudden wave of hoping that Russ Grimm takes over? I think it makes a TON of sense....

Posted by: SentinelSports | January 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

etrod! I checked the coaches link on the Skins site. Don Breaux's official title is, wait for it ... Offensive Coordinator!

Also, Buges is listed as "Assistant Head Coach - Offense" and Saunders is "Associate Head Coach - Offense". [Grilliams is "Assistant Head Coach - Defense".]

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Folks , this started when Joe Gibbs Racing signed with Toyota and Joe said they made the move from Chevy because he was looking to build a company that would serve his family for years, generations.This is a huge deal for Toyota and they want him at the big races, not in Ahsburn. Danny's money is big, but it's a pittance compared to Toyota. Joe can't leave the Redskins to his kids and grandkids, but he can leave them a very sound and profitable JGR. So Joe can now live FULL time in North Carolina with Pat, Coy, JD and the "grandbabies" while making more money than Danny could ever pay him

Posted by: jmsbh | January 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That sounds like what Florida St. has done with Jimbo Fisher, not what we have with GW

Posted by: SAK2 | January 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think with Grimm you are taking a bigger chance. I cant imagine this team has a ton of confidence as an organization. I think the Williams thing shows more continuity.

Posted by: james.harwell | January 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Not to be confusing, but Blache (pronounced, Blahsh by Gibbs) is listed as "Defensive Coordinator - Defensive Line."

Having "coordinator" in your title for the Skins seems like a ham sandwich.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Dang, NFL Network cut away from the Q&A session.

Me thinks GW will be announced as HC in 2 weeks.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

jmsbh, thank you for that! great, great point. and agree with you 100%. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

RickyBobby - teams make mistakes all the time. snyder and this FO have grown leaps and bounds in terms of team management. Last year they only put major investments into players they knew personally on the field from before (smoot, fletcher). this team is headed in the right direction.

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Snyder: Will not be hiring a GM
Posted by: 4-12 | January 8, 2008 03:46 PM

In that case I now hope that Cowher takes over. I trust him with personnel than Snyder & Cerrato.
-------------------------------------------
If it aint broke don't fix it??????

Lloyd? Arch? Duckett?

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 03:53 PM

I could not agree with you more. But whatever I hope it works out. Congrats Gregg.

Posted by: curtmcgurt | January 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Joe exits stage right ... an era ends

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope to God we get rid of these stupid titles like Associate Water Boy - Defense.

You need a Head Coach, 2 Coordinators, positions coaches, etc. No associates, no 4 or 5 assistant coaches (maybe 1).

I'm still giggling about the comment about a General Manager. "if it ain't broke don't fix it". hilarious.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Greg Williams new Head Coach of the Washington Redskins!

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Coach Joe!!

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"The question is simple, the answer complex. If you don't promote GG, does the rest of the staff go away?"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 03:59 PM

Not necessarily. Two other Gibbs/Gregg guys in house might be enough that (1) Williams doesn't leave and (2) the team respects the decision ... Bugel and Danny Smith.

That said, I will now put down the pipe.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"(the only former special teams coach to make it large as a head coach that I can remember is Marv Levy).
Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 03:52 PM"

Ironically, given the conversation today-- Bill Cowher (Browns)

Posted by: kingbonehead | January 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

RB, they would STILL need to keep additional coaches on staff, just to maintain the standard of living to which the players have become accustomed. They just need to call out those new coaches by more accurate titles, e.g., Quality Control - Ham Sandwich.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I will miss Coach Gibbs. If there was ever a situation where a man was placed at a moment because he was the right man to be there, it was Coach Gibbs this season. I don't know if there was anyone else I would rather have leading the Redskins Family through it's darkest hour (and no, I'm not talking about a 4 game losing streak).

On another note, I'm sickened that there won't be a GM.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | January 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

And like that!

He's gone... Where do we go from here?

I know we'll all be anxiously awaiting the announcement... I do hope Snyder is wiser, smarter and more patient having worked with Gibbs for the past 4 years...

Hopefully, he got a Masters in NFL Football Operations... Based on his comments, I find unlikely that he'll hire a GM to run the show... UNFORTUNATELY...

Posted by: EinVB | January 8, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Is Dan Snyder the worst public speaker in the history of the world or is it just me? He's looked totally uncomfortable all 3 times he's spoken since taking over in 99.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 8, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Williams is our next head coach. Gibbs knows that a new entrant to the organization is likely to blow things up - always happens so he can get "his guys" in house. But to spend all that time talking about how great this group of players and coaching staff seems to be something he wouldn't have said if there was a strong possibility they were going outside the org.

Posted by: OldManGibbs | January 8, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

New post . .

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If I think I ought to be a head coach in the NFL, there are only a few places where I can be comfortable as an assistant. Working for Joe Gibbs is one of those places. Gregg Williams and Al Saunders are both likely to look at outside offers if they don't get the promotion. Bring in Grimm and both those guys are probably gone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to that presser and heard the same stuff you guys did. THIS was just posted at profootball talk ... do I have crazy ears or something?
____

POSTED 3:30 p.m. EST, January 8, 2008

COWHER NEXT IN WASHINGTON? by Michael David Smith

In the hours since the resignation of Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, one name has been repeated over and over again as Gibbs' most likely successor: Bill Cowher.

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post lays out the case for Cowher and says that a source who knows Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato well said Cerrato believes the Redskins' next coach will be Cowher. Moreover, if Cowher wants total control of football operations, that would be doable, and Cerrato could move to a consulting role to make room for a coach with more authority.

La Canfora also notes that even if Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Cowher, he would need to interview a minority candidate first. La Canfora writes that Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache would not want to "be a part of any dog and pony show" and interview for the job if the feeling around Redskins Park is that Cowher will get the job.

At today's Redskins news conference, Snyder said he has not talked to Cowher. He also said he "tried very, very hard" to convince Gibbs to stay.

Posted by: dcsween | January 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

no idea who the skins head coach will be, but can we start assigning titles to the bloggers?

nateinthepdx - assistant blogger - comment solicitation
mvdame - assistant editor - post count
chrislarry - assistant blogger - f bomb dept
jm220 - associate editor - common sense and decorum
smack1/argh/redcoat - assistant bloggers - 5th column provocateurs

Adam

Posted by: argh | January 8, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Don't need to conduct interviews depending on GW's contrace.

Posted by: NCICURN | January 8, 2008 03:51 PM

Posted by: johncnichols | January 8, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

there is nothing more rampant and unsubstantiated than the NFL coaching carousel rumors....everyone knows someone who once saw Bill Cowher...the madness is out of control. I dont want him. I want Grimm. Young, up and coming, and a chance to last a long time in one place. That aint Cowher. That IS Grimm. Im tired of 3 and 4 year stints. I want a good 11-12 year run dammit.

Posted by: SentinelSports | January 8, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Why are all of you so excited at the thought of Gregg Williams as coach?

The man was a colossal failure in Buffalo, he alienated the entire team in two years.

He alienated the defense last year. The Skins will be awful with Williams as coach.

Some guys should be coordinators, Williams is one of them.

Danny, pony up all the cash like you always do and bring in the Chin!!!!!

Posted by: chirsch | January 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Mnay can say things that are selfish about this.....Basically the man NEEDS to be with his family with the situation with his grandchild....He needs to finally reat and enjoy himself...and If he can't give 100%...he is a great man to see this and knows he must step down...We need a coach that will...

God Bless you Joe...Thnak you for the first 12 years and 3 Titles...Thnak you so much for risking your rep and taking this franchise on when it was at it's worst and giving us some great moments in Skins history we will never forget...especially that Monday night down in Dallas! We love you and Thnak you for everything you have done....I respect him even more so now than I did....

GOD BLESS YOU JOE GIBBS & THANK YOU! You will always be OUR CHIEF!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

GOD BLESS YOU JOE GIBBS & THANK YOU! You will always be OUR CHIEF!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Sad, Sad Day! Gibbs, you will be missed.

that being said

"I understand most of us want GW to step in immediately and start steering us to the 2008 playoffs. But step back a minute and ask yourself if a team with a name like 'Redskins' really want to even risk the appearance of trying to sidestep the Rooney Rule. GW's the clear favorite, but I hope the process is more than just going through motions. 99% chance it goes like we suspect, but let's give the rule a shot.

Posted by: johncnichols | January 8, 2008 04:12 PM "

I agree, even more to the extent of the rule. The mistakes are made when you forget to take the time to look around, investigate and make an informed decision. My guts says we do better at least next year by promoting from within... but maybe the long road, we do better with someone like Cowher

Posted by: karma31 | January 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If Dan Snyder tried to talk Joe Gibbs out of retiring when the coach said he wanted to spend time with his 2 year old grandson who has leukemia then Snyder is an evil selfish bastard. God bless Joe, you are still the best Redskins coach in the history of the franchise. I hope you're able to spend quality time with your family and hope Taylor beats leukemia.

Snyder can rot for all I care. I'm a Steelers fan now.

Posted by: kmp1 | January 8, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

IF GIBBS REALLY THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR, THAN THAT IS REASON ENOUGH TO GET RID OF HIM. ANYONE THAT WOULD THINK THAT HAS TO BE EITHER SENILE OF JUST CLUELESS!!!!!!

Posted by: gibbsnogood | January 8, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Quote:

"Why are all of you so excited at the thought of Gregg Williams as coach?

Some guys should be coordinators, Williams is one of them.

Danny, pony up all the cash like you always do and bring in the Chin!!!!!
===========================================

This same post could have been written about Bill Belichick in 2000.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | January 8, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear snyder when asked if they would hire a GM, "dont fix it if it aint broke"...

They talked about it a bit on Sports Reporters but i think that this gives us an indication that cowher will not be the coach. he said he didnt want to coach next year, and cowher would want to have complete control, something only gibbs can have.

Posted by: mrodlauer | January 8, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, i think youre totally wrong in speculating about ceratto's comments because you must remember he would be replacing ceratto so its either just a paranoid idiot or him trying to get re-assurance that this will not happen.

Posted by: mrodlauer | January 8, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gibbsnogood | January 8, 2008 05:56 PM

Isn't it amazing how these classless people like the one above always show up? You think he was Wilbon's source for saying Sean Taylor was a thug?

Posted by: forces | January 8, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

The front office structure is just fine!!! Are you %$^&* kidding me.

Posted by: rafulmh | January 9, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse