Snyder Has High Expectations

On the first day of Washington Redskins training camp, team owner Daniel Snyder said his goals are to win the NFC East this season and improve significantly on offense in Coach Jim Zorn's second season with the club.

"They understand each other," Snyder said of Zorn and his staff during an appearance on WTEM-980's "John Thompson Show." "They understand, also, the players. They understand the positions.

"I think what I'm looking for is some dramatic improvement on offense. I want to get better on defense. We were very effective. If we can get turnovers, if we can do some things that we didn't do enough of, we can take that 8-8 performance to a much higher level, and that's what we're looking for.

"We obviously want to win the division, and it starts there. We're in a real tough division. It's exciting. It's fun and challenging. I think we'll get the job done."

Snyder's appearance on the station he owns occurred between the Redskins' morning and afternoon practice sessions Thursday at Redskins Park.

During the nearly nine-minute interview with Thompson and former Redskin Rick "Doc" Walker, he also addressed the situation of quarterback Jason Campbell, whose position appeared in jeopardy during the offseason as the Redskins pursued a trade for then-Denver quarterback Jay Cutler and considered trading up in the draft to select USC's Mark Sanchez.

"I think to Jason's credit, he's really showed his true character, and I think he's really matured with the team and taken the reins, which is really what we've asked him to do," Snyder said. "From the standpoint of where we go, he's a critical, critical component, and we've told him that. We've told him that, look, we need some big-time play out of the quarterback to really go where we want to go, which is [the] Super Bowl. From that standpoint, we're real pleased with the offseason handling by Jason."

Snyder added free agent quarterback Michael Vick, just conditionally reinstated by the NFL after serving time in prison, is "not a fit here." He also said he thought the team was "real close" to signing first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo on Wednesday night, but the deal did not get done, and he expressed an urgency to get the defensive end/linebacker into camp soon.

"I think that sometimes an agent may actually give him bad advice by saying, 'Hey look, let's try to get two percent more,' and they ruin his first year," Snyder said. "I think it's important in the next few days that he gets in here."

Snyder, who is entering his 11th year as owner, said he has "matured" in the position.
"I'm more patient now," Snyder said. "When it comes down to understanding the game and understanding the business side of it, it takes time. It takes some time for the players to mature into their role. Sometimes, when you're over-aggressive, you make mistakes. . . .

"Everyone wants instant results. We all do. We all want [second-year receivers] Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas to be rookies of the year and go to the Pro Bowl right away, but from the standpoint of understanding it as I do now, I know that that position takes a little bit of time, and I think that you'll start to see the fruits this year and next year and the year after. I think you'll start to see some big-time development, and that's something that you learn."

By Barry Svrluga  |  July 30, 2009; 6:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blache Weighs in on Orakpo's Holdout
Next: Orakpo, Redskins Reach Agreement

Comments

It's an easy recipe Dan...

Draft youth...don't trade away picks...and then spend money as needed.

FTW!

Posted by: jmicrodoc | July 30, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I can't keep track of all the RI posts happening today.

Posted by: mocmedia@msn.com | July 30, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

This would have been more interesting had Snyder had low expectations for the season. "We're just trying to get by," he might have said. "I really don't expect much for my money. If I get too depressed, I can ride the Batman Batwing. That always perks me up."

"Actually," Snyder may have confessed, "I'd really like a chance to own the Steelers. Think of all the really expensive free agents I'd sign."

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

It's an easy recipe Dan...

Draft youth...don't trade away picks...and then spend money as needed.

FTW!

Posted by: jmicrodoc | July 30, 2009 6:51 PM |

What I would do is draft age, trade draft picks for FAs, get a government bailout, then spend money as needed. WTF!

Posted by: TubularBells | July 30, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I love how he's willing to give Kelly and Thomas 4 years to "see the fruits", but in 2 1/2 years and 3 offenses Jason Campbell can't get shoved out of town fast enough. We'll see how much patience he has with them if Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson becomes available in the next year or two.

I couldn't care less about this crap he just spewed. I'll believe Snyder when I see the actions (or inaction) match the words, instead of spoon feeding us what we want to hear.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | July 30, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"I think that you'll start to see the fruits this year and next year and the year after. I think you'll start to see some big-time development, and that's something that you learn."--DAN SNYDER

If I was Kelly or Thomas I wouldn't be happy having my owner call me a fruit.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"improve signifacantly on offense"?

How do you do that, when you focus signifacantly on defense in the offseason?

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 30, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"Bears, Raiders, Titans Not Interested in Vick"

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 30, 2009

Bears, Raiders, Lions, Tigers...oh my!

The list of NFL teams who aren't interested in Mike Vick grows.

Again: Vick should shuffle off to the Great White North, and get some gridiron cred by playing the remainder of the CFL season with some team that would be more than happy to give him a shot.

As for this blogga, I suggest we wrap our collective minds around on the guys on the redskins' roster.

As for Mike Vick--his case is closed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

mack1

Funniest Line of the Day:

"Snyder has really come a long way as an owner. The first few years it was really obvious he didn't know anything about the game of football. Now it's not quite as obvious."

This could be turned into:

Before Dan Snyder bought the redskin team, we expected nothing. Now that he owns it, we hope for even less.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

mocmedia@msn.com

"I can't keep track of all the RI posts happening today."

True.

I read the Mayor's posts and skim to the dudes I read all the time: dikshuttle, reddmv, thecork, frak, dcsween, beantown, periculum, brownwood, alex, scampbell1975, thetruth, pabrian2003, and samson151.

A lot of the posting is done by newbies trying to get rep by tearing down dudes who speak a language they don't understand.

I still say "Flounder21" was Jasno in blogga disguise--have you noticed they both disappeared at the same time?

I hope I'm wrong, though, dude was a really good poster.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder getting a "little more patience" is like taking a leak in the ocean: no one is going to know the difference. What the guy needs is a LOT more patience and maybe just a tad more humility. BUT... I'll give him credit for questioning his own judgement. It shows he is not completely un-trainable. Maybe in another ten years we'll have a pretty decent owner.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 30, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong, though, dude was a really good poster.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 7:18 P

That seems to happen a lot around the draft, the beginning of training camp, and the start of the season but it seems to eventually fade to the same returning group of posters and some new guys that have found the staying power.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

At my age, I'll take my "staying power" where ever I can.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

from Redskins.com:

"Once I took that weight off, I was moving a lot easier and a lot better," Kelly said. "I wasn’t putting as much pressure on my leg."

On his second NFL season, Kelly said: "I came out here with the same attitude I had last year--to get into the starting rotation. That has to be your attitude. But this year I have done more things to help my body, from dieting to the strengthening program.

"You can go out there and play, but if you don’t get your body right, it’s no good."

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

At my age, I'll take my "staying power" where ever I can.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:40 PM

I've got a kid on the way, I have a feeling that I'm going to understand what you are talking about very soon.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

NAPA, Calif. (AP)—Rookie receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey agreed with the Oakland Raiders on a five-year contract Thursday that will guarantee him at least $23.5 million.--NEWS ITEM

Is this the first domino?

I've heard he was the big holdup...so I bet there will be a bunch of signings and Orakpo will be on hte field Monday, latest.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Smith, the 2nd overall pick signed too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

from Redskins.com:

"Malcolm Kelly lost about six pounds pounds from his 6-4 frame. He deemed it necessary so that the extra weight would not put any strain on his oft-injured left knee."

Interesting. Wasn't that long ago his teammate Mike Williams could lose that much with a good fart.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

It bothers me that Snyder is throwing in Palin-esque random "also"s when he talks.

Posted by: matt0001 | July 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

there was a time I followed the redskins & the financial conversatives. Synder/Palin is the reason I don't follow the skins & Elephantine anymore.

Posted by: tyobrien1 | July 30, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:51 PM

Can you describe to me what constitutes a "good fart"? Personally, I think they all stink, but if you can point to a good one maybe I could think differently about this.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 8:11 PM |

Doesn't seem like a very good way to keep one's job now does it?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

Took me a long time to recover from the floor.. man! lmao

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

If I was Kelly or Thomas I wouldn't be happy having my owner call me a fruit.
Posted by: TheCork

You're dating yourself, Cork... that aint how the peeps roll no more.

Just need a Ryan Clark reference and my day will be complete.

There. Ahh, time for another cold one.

Posted by: daggar | July 30, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

You're dating yourself, Cork.

Posted by: daggar | July 30, 2009 8:19 PM

Of course he's dating himself. Who else would go out with him?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

scamp that was a rhetorical question. My point is that Blache knows better. This is business. Why was it necessary for him to insult the guy by saying he wouldn't understand the contract if it was explained to him for 20 yrs?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think what he meant was that in 20 years Orakpo couldn't tell you what the argument thje agent and the Skins have was over. That's how it reads anyhow. He's not taking shots at the player. I understand that it was rhetorical, it was kind of one of those no brainer responses.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

So Vick to the RAiders anyone?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

If I was Kelly or Thomas I wouldn't be happy having my owner call me a fruit.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Fing hilarious!!! Thanks Cork!

Posted by: Tyler84101 | July 30, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Peria Jerry signed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 8:32 PM |

I didn't read it that way. What he said was, "What they're fighting about right now [in contract talks], Orakpo couldn't explain it to you in 20 years probably." I thought he was saying that they are fighting over minutiae, clauses which won't have any lasting impact on Orakpo's life.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

If I was Kelly or Thomas I wouldn't be happy having my owner call me a fruit.

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 7:02 PM |
Thats funny, but they should be happy anyone's mentioning them at all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Peria Jerry signed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 8:46 PM |

So, that makes ten first rounders.

By the way, I would turn Blache's statement back on him: "Whether Orakpo signs today or next Tuesday no one will remember in twenty years."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Good point TE..However I still remeber when Shuler held out for 10+ days I believe, and they killed him in the press and the fans hated it

Posted by: Tyler84101 | July 30, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, TE, bottomline it wasn't necessary. It didn't illuminate anything. For all the money he's about to be paid, nobody's taking his spot. All the sabre rattling from someone who has no say in the negotiations is unnecessary.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tyler84101 | July 30, 2009 8:54 PM

Patrick Ramsey, too. 'Skins were so tired of waiting on him that they nearly traded his rights to Chicago. Orakpo will be in soon enough -- there's just something weird going on this year with the first rounders.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tyler84101 | July 30, 2009 8:54 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

LH, I agree with that. Not likely that Orakpo said "Well, Greg's got a good point. I wish I'd thought of that sooner. I better sign this thing tonight."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

980 was playing up comments CP made today about the players almost rebelling against Zorn before the SF game because the coach gave them a Friday night curfew. CP desperately needs a body man to pull him away from the mike.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | July 30, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but doesen't this stuff happen every year, to some degree. By next Thursday, all but one or two draftees will be in camp. It's probably increased this year becuase of some maunevering around the upcoming potentially capless year.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 30, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

If Orakpo is in a stance for 3rd and long, as seems to be the plan, who's playing SAM in that scenario?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | July 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

McIntosh and Fletcher will most likely be the nickel LB's in that situation..

Posted by: ga8085 | July 30, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Of course he's dating himself. Who else would go out with him?
Posted by: talent_evaluator

Well, he's got staying power, apparently.

For Orapko, I presume that he's chomping at the bit to get out there and hit someone. If Blache's comment makes the next conversation with his agent start out with "get me in there by Monday", then good has been done.

Posted by: daggar | July 30, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"Can you describe to me what constitutes a "good fart"?

A good fart is one when used strategically allows you to rid yourself of the company of people you'd prefer not to be around.

A better fart occurs in the privacy of your SUV/car/bathroom when it seems so bad you're amazed by the brimstone cloud of funk your colon is able to eek out of whatever dinner was.

A woman who stays with you when you release a fart is one you should marry right away.

Finally, there is no truth to the urban legend that a lighted match will cause flames to shoot from one's backside while issuing a fart: this was learned after multiple attempts while in college and a marriage where a woman didn't mind that I farted.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Gee - I was going to suggest that a good fart was the one in the white hat.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 30, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

All the pessimistic orthopedic surgeons on this blog need to calm down. None of you know for sure about the condition of Kelly's knee. I'll grant you that it's not overly encouraging that he's already missing practice on Day 1 of camp, but I'm not even close to giving up on this kid. Time will tell how serious it is.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 30, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I've actually seen this work ... it definitely does work as long as it doesn't burn any hair in the nearby region.

Best place is in a very quiet, stuffy place like the Museum of Modern Art, the Hirzhorn gallery. Worst is kneeling in church and your teacher a nun is directly behind you ...

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I've been out of the country since the end of last season. Is JLC still around?

Posted by: Silvertip | July 30, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I've been out of the country since the end of last season. Is JLC still around?

Posted by: Silvertip | July 30, 2009 10:12 PM |

Nope, working for NFL Network.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

So, are we destined to repeat this year as cellar dwellers, or is there good reason for optimism?

Posted by: Silvertip | July 30, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | July 30, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Are you kiddin man? This is the Skins you're talking about! There's always reason for optimism. Good reason? We'll have to wait and see.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | July 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

McIntosh and Fletcher will most likely be the nickel LB's in that situation..

Posted by: ga8085 | July 30, 2009 9:14 PM

Correct ... no strong side LB, leaving two LBs, and adding either a CB or safety, depending on field position and distance to first down.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"That's pretty strong commentary from Blache ... about as strong as you can get without coming out and saying Orapko risks sitting on the bench this season if he doesn't show soon. Message to Snyder as much as Orapko and his agent.

Posted by: periculum"

I never thought I'd say this but... Periculum -- you are on point right here. Well said.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan... Just tell Orakpo's agent.. "Hey accept the 2% less now & if your client is as good as I think he is, How much more above market value do you think I'll pay him later?"

Posted by: tony325 | July 30, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

do you really need to print out the invite to get into training camp? I've heard mixed reports. thanks

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 30, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

"Greg Blache is full of sjk. There are two sides to a negotiation. Why isn't he directing some of his ire at his boss?

Posted by: learnedhand1"

What makes you think there wasn't a subtle message to Snyder in that as well? Seems to me he's letting everyone know that all sides are hurting by Orakpo's holdout. It's not just Orakpo that's affected, it's the entire team. And Blache was quick to point that out.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Snyder "I think what I'm looking for is some dramatic improvement on offense."

So tell me, Danny, what steps did you take that would suggest dramatic improvement?

Was it in the draft? No
You drafted zero offensive players in rounds 1-6.

Was it in FA? Not much
You replaced 1 OL, Kendall, who was among your best and healthiest OL last year. You replaced him with a younger guy -- who was the worst in the league in giving up sacks at his position.

What about your QB? Hah!!
You did just about everything you could to undermine the guy.

Anything else? Nothing "dramatic"
Roydell Williams, a nice upgrade. Added a bunch of guys who've never been very good to play RT. Say a prayer or two. Your RG had a ruptured disk in his neck -- did you get a backup for him? Or a replacement? Say another prayer.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 30, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | July 30, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"However I still remeber when Shuler held out for 10+ days I believe, and they killed him in the press and the fans hated it

Posted by: Tyler84101 | July 30, 2009 8:54 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

----------------------------------

I hope these recollections didn't inspire you to write the following:

"By the way, I would turn Blache's statement back on him: 'Whether Orakpo signs today or next Tuesday no one will remember in twenty years.'"

Your assertion may be true, but your examples certainly don't help dispel Blache's contention that each day missed is a big deal for a rookie.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | July 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

ESPN 980 text alert: "Redskins sign 1st Rd Draft Pick Brian Orakpo"

Posted by: RedskinsWiz23 | July 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"Snyder can look for dramatic improvement on offense. He just doesn't have a good reason to expect it because he didn't do much to improve the offense.

Posted by: zcezcest1"

What's that saying? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Of course, for Snyder, that would mean trading for a Brandon Lloyd or TJ Duckett, or signing a Randle El, or drafting 3 pass-catching rookies in one sitting, or changing the offensive coordinator after one season.

Clearly that's all worked to perfection.

So...maybe it's not so unreasonable for him to expect different results.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

"Rick Maese just sent a "tweet" that Orakpo deal is done and he'll be at Redskin park tomorrow.

Posted by: isnadd"

And Orakpo's career is saved!!

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

ComcastSportsNet just said that they talked with Orakpo's agent and he said both sides are very close but no contract has been signed...then again redskins.com is posting that they've agreed to terms...ah 'f' it, I'll figure it out in the morning.

Posted by: RedskinsWiz23 | July 30, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo signed and beeps...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Well alrighty then!Snyder is showing some real humility this offseason.Acknowledging, pretty much, all of our greivances during his tenure.He seems to understand finally what

Posted by: mark65 | July 31, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams is down to 128 lbs.

No more Jason Scramble!