Snyder reminisces about Pollin

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder called ESPN980 not long ago and reminisced about growing up a Bullets fan and getting to know Wizards owner Abe Pollin, who died today at the age of 85:

"When I was a little kid, we moved to New York for a while," Snyder remembered. "We had an uncle that passed. We lived with my grandmother. And we moved in, and my father was working a little bit in New York, and we would go across the street and get the newspapers that came out in the middle of the night when [the Bullets] were playing Seattle. ... It goes way back. I mean, if you're a Washingtonian, you have to have loved Abe Pollin."

Inevitably in the course of the call-in, the question of the Redskins' problems arose:

"From my perspective, I think everyone knows how bad I feel for the fans of the Redskins right now," Snyder said. "Obviously we've disappointed everyone. We're REALLY sorry. It is what it is. We've just not performed, but I think from our perspective we'll get this thing going. But right now is a time of grief."

Dan Steinberg has more at the DC SportsBog.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 24, 2009; 6:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels addresses injury and the future
Next: Rock's chance to roll; a Gray-to-Memphis report

Comments

Time of grief indeed, Danny.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 24, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Good grief danny boy, good grief.....

Posted by: lurgee5177 | November 24, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Red

Looks like you are the only one left.

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I wish I liked hockey.

Posted by: mack1 | November 24, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I know it gets slow around here after 5 anymore, but the last few post were a blog kill.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The only way I would ever believe Dan is sorry is by firing Vinny. Nothing less.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Who killed the blog?

I'd say no one person is responsible, but by Game 5, we all knew this season was a dead-end and the team was in turmoil.

That's a blog kill.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 24, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

OK, where's MistaMoe with his unique sense of humor? We could certainly use a lighter side on this blog around now.

Of course since I am not on his list of bloggas he reads, how will he know a request is made?

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

We could certainly use a lighter side on this blog around now.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 7:52 PM

Skins,

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

League are you serious? Show me where I said lighter side to his death? Prior to that I said the last few posts, Samuels, Portis and this one about how Dan feels have been blog kills.

People die every day. I am not from the area, so I apologize that this death did not hit me as it did others on this blog.

But if it makes you feel better I will take back the request and allow you to grieve.

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

We could certainly use a lighter side on this blog around now.

Posted by: Skins930

Posted by: League-Source

No a humorist would be more appropriate. The last thing you need n a time of grief is humor, anyway. Actually you do, but not about the dead guy. That's tacky.

But the Wiz? Sure. Only their season is dead.

So anyway the Baltimore Bullets move to DC to become the Washington Bullets and someone says they should change the name of the team because hearing it brings to mind thoughts of murder and crime and human misery.

So the first idea for a new name proposed was "The Middle Atlantic States Bullets."

You can't beat the old standbys,

Posted by: TheCork | November 24, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

"Abe Pollin just died. And you want Moe to come up and crack a few jokes, show you the lighter side of his death?"

I don't know enough about Abe Pollin to insult him.

I'm recovering from a workday training were I was subjected to endless powerpoint cheerleading.

The lady doing the presentation laced it with video from a bunch of old movies I'd already seen as I love old movies.

In one, Humphrey Bogart tells a women, "Here's looking at you kid," over a raised champaigne glass and memories of better times.

This is pretty much what I'd say about Abe Pollin.

You know I'm not clever enough to say anything else as, you know, I'm not a humorist.

I lack class and have been know to toss out poorly received bits of inanity and sarcasm.

So I'll let the critics provide you with the humor and class they say I lack.

"Here's to you, Mr. Pollin."

"I remember Wes Unseld and a World Championship the DC area has forgotten."

The rest of y'all can just bite this bullet and show us the lighter side of your own lack of ideas.

That is, if you have any ideas.

Light or otherwise.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If I am Dan Snyder...I would keep running the team into the ground because no matter what he does he gets ripped.

He seemed sincere in his interview. I heard the whole thing.

Let's have a 24 hour truce!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Chris Cooley and keep Fred Davis:

1) Neither can block particularly well.
2) Davis can catch the ball and seems a bit faster and elusive than Cooley.
3) Most good teams trade guys when they have high value.

Ok....Crucify me!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Once again, no offense intended.

RIP Mr. Pollin.

duces

Posted by: Skins930 | November 24, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Before my family takes my attention, I wish anyone reading this a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Get your grub on then fart in any direction.

Watch football, sleep, eat, and avoid responsibility at all costs.

Tell the lil woman you're too busy watching that important Lions v. Packers contest to help with the dishes.

When she gets serious about the mess in the kitchen, tell her you're waiting for the redskins to come on.

Some women don't know football, so suggest the Super Bowl might be on Thursday night to get out of whatever annoys you.

And when that doesn't happen, suggest it'll be romantic if you both wash dishes together.

And if it is romantic, go to bed and 'bake' your own little turkey.

How else do you make a holiday without redskin football happy?

Peace.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

League Source, aka Sausage Evaluator really needs to relax. This is a Redskins blog, not an obituary. Nobody is disrespecting that owner on here, so they can say what they want.

Ricky Roge: Wouldn't you much rather see Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time? Cooley is not a bad blocker and Davis is bound to improve in that category. And having Yoder spell both of them means one of the deepest positions in the NFL at TE would belong to the Skins.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 24, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

I would trade Chris Cooley and keep Fred Davis:

1) Neither can block particularly well.
2) Davis can catch the ball and seems a bit faster and elusive than Cooley.
3) Most good teams trade guys when they have high value.

Ok....Crucify me!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 8:48 PM

What type of compensation would you expect in return?

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Chargers signed Jon Runyan. Funny how a team in first place thought he was worth adding to their roster.

Posted by: will_ga | November 24, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade Cooley? Why not? After all, we traded away Champ Bailey at the height of his career...

Posted by: dkw9s1 | November 24, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

we traded away Champ Bailey at the height of his career...

Posted by: dkw9s1 | November 24, 2009 9:33 PM

Two differences: Bailey didn't want to be here, but Cooley does. We had to choose whether to pay Arrington or Bailey. We chose Arrington. That's not a factor here, is it?

Posted by: League-Source | November 24, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not against trading anyone not named Orakpo.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Incorrect my friend. Champ was walking after the 2005 season and so we traded him. It's not well know but he was having personal problems and had to leave the area.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not against trading anyone not named Orakpo.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 9:42 PM |

Cool Aid.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I remember the days of Jack Kent Cooke. He & Pollin had their ups and downs, but they were owners who cared about their team and the city more than profits from the team into their pockets.

Snyder had much to learn from these men. Unfortunately, he never did. Either as a young fan, or a contemporary.

Posted by: Mark20005 | November 24, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 9:42 PM

A ham sandwich.

Seriously though, regardless of who is traded, the Skins need to stop getting scalped on trades. If you can't get fair value, then don't pull the trigger.

Cooley = 2nd rd pick if traded before 2011. The question is, why trade CC? We have a great rotation right now that works even if one of our TEs gets injured.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy JUST SHUT UP and SELL THE TEAM!

Posted by: mike1ad | November 24, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

If Betts is done, does this mean next season's running back depth chart looks like this:

Clinton Portis
Rock Cartwright
Quinton Ganther

Looks like those of us who want to draft a back will get what we want.

Sad that it took injury to make the obvious apparent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Tony Gonzo = 2nd round pick & Future HOF
Cooley = @ best a 3rd

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Cooley's a good player, I think many teams would be interested, but he's worth more here -- both on-field and off -- than anyone else would offer.
Keep in mind the basic unreality of trades based on the way the skins structure their contracts -- even in an uncapped year (which allows us to move the player without pain), our contracts have these large backload years that no one else really does.

Posted by: daggar | November 24, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"But those you would like to see Cooley traded please come up with what you would expect in return."

I used to post stuff like that up until I realized that NFL teams treasure draft picks so much that they'd rather draft the unknown than trade for the known.

Every year, there are a couple of tight end gems to be found if you look hard enough.

Safety and wide receiver are positions like that as well.

Put Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time next year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

"...we traded away Champ Bailey at the height of his career..."

We didn't trade Champ, St Joe did.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Diesel44, as a GM the only way I give up a player of CC's ability is for a 2nd rd. pick. If trading partners do not want to trade then I keep. Only way I go lower is if I need to get rid of that player.

That's my logic.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Moe-

This is so true. I guess the bird in the bush is always better.

I'm also of the ilk that if you start a sentence then you also finish it.

For example "I'd trade Cooley". Now what would you expect to get in return.

The reality is...
1. Teams value the unknown
2. TE is an undervalued position
3. Cooley is good but not great, somewhere in the 8-12 range in the league
4. He's worth more than a 3rd or 4th to this team.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Moe, how do you leave out Mason from your list of RBs for 2010?

Although if he is cut, most likely he is available for a 5th return to the B&G.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

That's my logic.

Posted by: Curzon417

Dude, You're a GM?

Like I said I would trade anyone on this roster except Orakpo.

Problem is that there isn't a whole lot of desirable commodities that would cause our phones to ring.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We want Cutler! We want Sanchez!

Read this:

from nytimes.com
"....Cutler has thrown a league-high 18 interceptions, the same number he threw all of last season for the Broncos. It is two more than the Jets' rookie Mark Sanchez’s total..."

Do you still want'em?

Resign Jason Campbell to a low ball incentive laden deal.

Guarantee him just enough money to make him see he is a middling quarterback on a mediocre team.

Then draft and use free agency to improve the line.

Draft a young'n to learn and ride the pine, and forget about Colt and his tatoos and 'tude.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

To my original point...

I would expect no less than a 2nd or 3rd rounder...I mean for Pete's sake, Randy Moss went for a 4th rounder.

I think this team needs to stockpile picks to turn this roster around. If this team were to gain multiple picks in the high rounds with a GM that knows how to pick, then we're turning the corner.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

CSN just reported Jerry Gray interviewed in Memphis today and an announcement could be made by tomorrow.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 24, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

The Caps are the only serious hockey team in the whole DC metro area. No hockey team that I know of at the HS or college level. What are they doing here? Who exactly is their fan base and why would they support a professional hockey team?

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

No way in hell I trade Orakpo!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Although if he (Mason) is cut, most likely he is available for a 5th return to the B&G."

The Return of Mason.

Sounds like a Speilberg movie starring an undervalued and possibly overhyped running back.

What's his primary contribution?: speed?

These guys have speed:

McCluster
Ford

And they are not overhyped and can be had in second round.

Mason is not a guy to build on.

(no pun intended)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 |

No, but it sounded good. Never even stayed at a holiday inn or played madden football.

But I do post on RI and thought that was enough to qualify me.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I mean for Pete's sake, Randy Moss went for a 4th rounder.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 10:30 PM |

Since you brought Petey up you could at least mention that he was a steal as well as Moss. An elite LT for a low 1st rounder. Buff had to offload the dude. He was on strike in place.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Here are some non-NCAA stats for ya, Diesel and your ilk:
1st Quarter

7:16 1st 3rd & 13-This is one of the Ware "my face is numb" signals, which calls out the screen call.
-JC keeps his eyes down the field despite being all but wrapped up by Ware and completes to Thomas for the first down, 26 yard gain.

5:50 2nd & 8-Shotgun formation, ball thrown to Moss, placed
where only he can get it, possible interference goes uncalled (Moss gets the Oscar, but dude was draped all over on replay)

-The Newman/Campo shouting match ensues, F Dallas at this point.
-The camera shows Betts on the training table: R knee=A OK, L knee = "na, dude-get f* ck outta here!"

.24-The last of the 3-step drops-sack if it woulda counted, negated by penalty. Man-sized hit, dog. Man up! Not in the stat sheet, though.

Ha! Started this last night, only got through the first quarter before I started receiving the look of death. Had some drinks, did we? Yes we did. Nothin but love, Diesel.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Likes

1) Devin Thomas- he looks hungry, likes to play teams, is fast and has size...seems to be getting open.
2) Fred Davis- young, hungry...again...I don't cut bait without something in return
3) Malcolm Kelly- I think Zorn is keeping him on the shelf to appease Moss/Randle El.
4) D'Angelo Hall- He may be a bit of an azz, but he's always around the ball.
5) Orakpo- BEASTMASTER
6) Haynesworth- Yeah, we overpaid, but our defense is MUCH better with him.

Don't like

1) JC- no it's not ALL his fault but can any of you aplogists name what attributes he has shown you that would lead you to beleive that he's would be declared a starter on another team.

2) Rogers, Portis, ARE, Moss- Can anyone say FIRE SALE?

3) Jim Zorn- I think Zorn should be fired for his use of personnel, or lack thereof, not playcalling.

What I would do if I were GM

1) We need an absolute burner on the edge that can score at anytime whether on KR or at WR...then I'd trade Moss

2) With this offense, everyone is expendable, but AT THE RIGHT PRICE! I'd be reluctant to unload Kelly, Davis, Mitchell, Thomas...we don't know what they can really do.

3) Get a veteran, shutdown CB.

4) We need a young rotation of RB's

5) Don't be quick to unload Campbell. We need a new QB but Campbell could be a valuable backup. If I don't do this, I'd bring in a couple of young guys (Lienart, Derek Anderson, Carr?)

6) Draft LT, RG, C/G...I would not be so quick to cut Heyer. You've put a ton of time in with him...keep him as a backup knowing he could be quality depth.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 24, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 10:43 PM

Help me understand what you're talking about as I had some drinks last night as well.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

wizards should wear the old red white and blue Bullets uniforms for the rest of the year in tribute to Pollin

Posted by: coparker5 | November 24, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

McCluster
Ford

And they are not overhyped and can be had in second round.

Mason is not a guy to build on.

(no pun intended)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:33 PM

We've discussed this before and both agree that this team needs speed. I mean 10 play drives that end up in FG opportunites are just tired at this point.

It would be nice to have a guy with the speed to take to the house and I like your research. Love McCluster and he is a 2nd round guy but Jacoby Ford is a WR. You really want to spend another 2nd pick on a wr?

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Not quite sure, I don't get the NCAA reference myself. It was up on my computer as if I was actually gonna finish it at some point, thought it was kinda funny.

I think you said/I interpreted you saying that JC had a terrible game--you weren't the only one posting this apparently--and I was on a crusade to prove everyone wrong one play at a time. Wife thought I was obsessing a little lol!

For the record, I like JC and think he's only slightly better than average with enough physical tools to manage well, but always holding out hope that he'll really shine. He's not terrible though, and it gets to me when people slam him as hard as they do up here. He's been all class this year if nothing else.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one having some fun up here. Trying to cut back on the drunk posting though.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Diesel 44 - the Broncos must have known about Champ's situation and used it to leverage the 2nd round pick, that never made sense before, now it does

Posted by: coparker5 | November 24, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Skins = Snyder
Nats = Lerner
Wiz = Pollin

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 10:43 PM

Never mind you were stating that JC completes 66% of his passes and he's an accurate passer.

I'm not a fan of JC and feel that his 66% completion rate is aided by his check down mentality. He played his azz off and we mustered only 6 points. I'll say it again...His best is not good enough.

I'd welcome him back next year considering the weak FA pool of QB's and overhyped draft class. We need to draft OL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

this is a bitter sweet day...i'm sad for abe pollin's family but i'm also happy for ted leonsis who will finally get the lime light he deserves in the city and may he outshine/outpower danny!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 24, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

...in the city and nationally...

Posted by: dealer1 | November 24, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Sources: Gray to be hired at Memphis

By Joe Schad

Memphis is expected to announce Washington Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray as its new head coach, multiple people familiar with the process said Tuesday.

Gray interviewed this week and was a finalist for the position along with LSU running backs coach Larry Porter.

The announcement, assuming there are no unforeseen developments, is not expected to come until after Memphis has played its final game under outgoing coach Tommy West.

Porter played for Memphis and was long considered a favorite for the position.

But Gray was recommended to Memphis by Joe Gibbs, one source said, and had a connection to Fred Smith, the key Memphis booster and founder of FedEx, who is also tied in to the Redskins organization.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of WR, keep an eye out for this guy WR Taylor Price from Ohio University. He's getting a lot of buzz as a value pick (such as Johnny Knox) in the middle rounds. He's 6-0, 212 and scouts think he'll run the 40 in the low 4.3s based on his film study.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I'm not necessarily for trading CC, I think he does have a lot of value here especially now that Sleepy has emerged as a threat and Sellers has been motioning to the TE spot as a blocker. That's a pretty beast lineup right there.

But have folks considered a trade for CC involving another player? Is there a team needing a playmaker that can fork over an OL? OLB? Speed back?

Not sure I trust Vinny with any more trades, though.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

And good lord, agree to disagree. can't. debate. JC. any. longer. I see your point, but am sticking with my opinion.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Kinda don't like the idea of Jerry Gray leaving, it seems like Blache will probably retire at the end of the season, leaving them a reason to retain Zorn. The coaches everyone wants -- Shanahan, Cower, Holmgren -- all seem they will rather not work for Snyder.

Ugh...

First the 'skins stink the joint up, then the Wizards get off to their bad start -- not to mention their rift from within, then Abe Pollin passes, then Jerry Gray is about to bounce to Memphis.

What a suck ass day... I think I'll have another cup of goose.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 24, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

danny called in on his own radio station...to express sorrow and appreciation for abe on the day he died. that's it.

but

st. joe taught him a very very very very very very good, profitable, pr line "i feel really sorry for the fans..." he keeps repeating that line over and over. that's their pitch/tag line these days "we have the best fans. i feel sorry for the fans.". so keep buying my product you douc -hes!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 24, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:19 PM |

If it is true, then an early congrats to Mr. Gray.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I would have traded Cooley yesterday for a 2nd round pick. The draft value was set for TE's when Gonzo went for a 2nd. Cooley ain't in his zip code.

As far as saying Moss went for a 4th, please refrain. The Raiders model of doing business is not allowed for reference.

If so then I'd like to trade our 2nd and 4th to the Colts for Manning and Wayne.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

McCluster
Ford

And they are not overhyped and can be had in second round.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 10:33 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:06 PM |

Hey, what did you expect? You said it yourself. The dud has a 50% success rate. See below:

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 11:26 PM

Statistically speaking your posts come in at about a 50% success rate.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 23, 2009 11:59 PM |

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Do you think that's why Blache let Gray do all the media interviews. It's good tape for Memphis to see how Jerry handles the press.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:19 PM |

If it is true, then an early congrats to Mr. Gray.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 11:29 PM |

On the topic of current Skinz coaches going elsewhere - might not Zorba be in the running for the opening at Portland State? He is a Pac Northwest dude and Danno would be paying the freight for the next 2 yrs. Dude could commute to the job from Cattle.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 24, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, "Memphis" has a football team??

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 24, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Just like when Adrian Peterson was not an option when we selected LL because of the investment made in Portis, WR is out of the question to spend a draft pick next year regardless of the talent.

Draft has to be min. two OL, rb, cb, slb as it stands right now. Depending on how FA goes that could change, but WR should be no where in the convo.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps

I like how Riggo said Zorn could coach his son's HS team on his video blog.

Zorn's a lucky man, he will one day get to talk about how he was once a NFL QB and a NFL HC when asked how he bacame the Gym teacher at a Seattle area high school.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 24, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

"Love McCluster and he is a 2nd round guy but Jacoby Ford is a WR."

Jacoby Ford is a Palm Beach County kid.

He was a running back at Cardinal Newman High.

If CJ Spiller wasn't a running back, would Ford have been the Clemson running back?

Probably.

Ford is a dynamic, Westbrook type player with the kind of speed and elusiveness the skins don't have coming out of the backfield.

And what's wrong with drafting wide receivers with high picks?

Consider:

1. Reggie Wayne
2. Randy Moss
3. Andre Johnson
4. Sidney Rice
5. Wes Welker

All but Welker are high picks.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Gym teacher at a Seattle area high school.

Posted by: Diesel44

Substitute gym teacher at a Seattle area high school.

He will pass time evaluating his stamp and pog collection.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 24, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:39 PM

You're going to need a 5th WR if ARE is gone. If the WR helps out on ST it could be worth a middle round pick. Plus you have the red shirt (Barnes) you should step up at CB. IMO I'm looking at FA RBs, LBs, C, and FS. Compared to other positions, you can get a good player with less of an investment. I do agree that spending a high pick on a WR would be foolish.

Posted by: TWISI | November 24, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"...but WR should be no where in the convo..."

If the vikings thought like that, they wouldn't have drafted Percy Harvin since they already had Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian.

The new position in the NFL is the guy who plays several positions: slot, flanker, speed back, kick returner, and wildcat quarterback.

That's Hester, Bush, Slaton, Sproles, Westbrook, Cribbs: the skins don't have a player like any of these guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Was not thinking of ARE being gone, though for the money he is expected to make, can't see him at #5.

Do think that draft definitely depends on what FAs are signed.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 24, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

And what's wrong with drafting wide receivers with high picks?

Posted by: MistaMoe

I'd like to sort of double down on that.

You should also consider:

1.Peter Warrick
2.Travis Taylor
3.David Terrell
4.Charles Rogers
5.Reggie Williams
6.Roy Williams
7.Troy Williamson
8.Mike Williams
9.David Boston
10.Troy Edwards

All taken no higher than 13th, which is no lower than the Redskins will be selecting in the first round this coming April.

Tuh, that is if they keep the pick.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 24, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

jason campbell = tony banks

same physical gifts, same inability to execute an offense

tyler thigpen from the chiefs is a better player, would be cheap, and would give the team a couple of years to groom the next franchise qb

Posted by: coparker5 | November 24, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

===================

The problem for me with the coaches we have is- are our young talent being developed correctly. If DT, MK, MM and SM are the real deal (moss has proven he is), then we should be OK at WR w/a coach that knows how to use his personnel.

I am assuming (I know) that Zorn has not developed any of the players he has so we, RI hamsters, are at a loss on what we have.

Based on evidence, I see your point. IMO, we are fine at WR and I would rather have that type of play maker at RB.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 24, 2009 11:47 PM

We both agree we need speed. However our most glaring need is OL. I say draft OT and then OG unless there is a AP type player that is too good to pass on again.

Jacoby Ford reminds me of a very poor man's Percy Harvin and definitely not a westbrook. We haven't drafted a lineman in the first 2 rounds since Samuels and I say not only do we need to draft the next Samuels we need the next Grimm too.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 25, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

couple of thoughts.

1. Jerry Gray goes, and that is a good thing in at least one respect. Lower level coaches will come to an organization hoping to move up. To go from a secondary coach to HC at a university is a promotion. Its good for recruiting future coaches to the Skins when the job is seen as bringing visibility/promotions/connections.

2. Heard a very interesting comment on the radio about the upcoming draft. The guy indicated this draft might be the best draft ever. Why? Because the collective bargaining agreement was changing the rules regarding rookies. So it would make lots of sense for underclassmen to come out in this draft as opposed to spending another year in college. I don't know enough details to know exactly what is what here, but if hordes of underclassmen decide its in their best interest to enter the draft, I could see it being a very rich draft class.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 25, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Slaton is averaging like 3 point nothing a carry.

Bush is a BUST and can't stay healthy for anything. And he's never gained over a 1,000 yards rushing. My bad if I want my first round pick/second overall choice in the ENTIRE draft to at least give me the impression he's capable of gaining 1,000 yards rushing.

Sindey Rice and Bernard Berrian are benefactors of The Favre. What was Rice doing prior to his arrival? Berrian was only a downfield threat in Chicago.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

I posted on this a while back. Read an article that the league and union are considering a salary cap/schedule for rookies w/the CBA, so, like you said, 2010 is the year for more underclassmen to come out if they want some of that 1st rd. money.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

That is also why I listed underclassmen to draft like Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

On Abe Pollin and the Bullets/Wizards/Caps.

Pollin was an owner who understood how important the fans, community and loyalty were. It was much easier to forgive the failures on the court and ice, knowing that he had invested so much and taken risks that few others would have even considered.

I first became a fan of the Baltimore Bullets back with Gus Johnson among others. I did get to enjoy the championship year. Much like with the Redskins and the hogs, the legend was a blue collar guy, Wes Unseld. He defined the franchise, for better as a player and for worse as an exec.

Pollin was not a great leader in terms of championships. Roughly speaking, he had about 75 years of franchise ownership between the Bullets/Wizards and Caps. To show for it, about 3 finals appearances and 1 championship.

But it was always easy to appreciate him because he never felt a need to distance himself from the fans, from the people in the area and from the struggles of the community. Wins and losses are the worst possible way to judge Abe Pollin.

By any standard, Pollin was a great man.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 25, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

You should also consider:

1.Peter Warrick
2.Travis Taylor
3.David Terrell
4.Charles Rogers
5.Reggie Williams
6.Roy Williams
7.Troy Williamson
8.Mike Williams
9.David Boston
10.Troy Edwards

Tuh, that is if they keep the pick.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 24, 2009 11:57 PM

Just consider our own recent success in taking Wr's in the 1st.

Desmond Howard
Michael Westbrook
Rod Gardner

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 25, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I gotta think at this juncture they have to blow up the whole staff and a chunk of the roster. With the uncapped year, it makes sense. CP, ARE, CR22, Samuels, Thomas, Betts, Collins, Wynn will all be gone. CP might stay if his head recovers from his concussion issue. Blurry vision is no joke.

I would trade Moss for a 3rd and hope somebody would overpay with a second. 4th ain't enough. Decide that Kelly, Thomas, and Mitchell are your WR and let Moss get you some value. We need the picks. I would take a ham sandwich for ARE. Probably would not get one though. I'd tender CR22 and force somebody to compensate me whatever i could get for him. Throw Barnes to the wolves and let him sink or swim. Need to find out sooner rather than later if he is a player or not.

Need to bring in Pres/GM and let him hire a HC who will have control over his own staff. Blache is done, Gray is going to Memphis, everybody else is up for grabs by the new HC. "You want a job Manny??" "Yeah, Tony, I do". Hope the new coach hires a DCoord (or is a D Type himself) who will play up on the receivers. I'd rather see them get burned over the top than getting nickeled and dimed down the field lining up 8-12 off the line. Totally over that crap. Say what you will about the Grill, but he didn't cotton to giving guys a ten damn yard cushion.

Let JC compete with Brennan for the starting job...bring in another FA to compete if you must. I like JC, and I think he is a victim of his HC, i really do. If I'm right, he does OK next year, if I'm wrong he can ride the pine and back up whoever beats him out. The point is you don't have to go get a big money guy or waste a high draft pick NEXT year. With a better line AND without Zorn, I think JC plays better. He has earned the shot simply by putting up with DEBACLE 09 (check is in the mail) that started last spring and for standing in and getting popped in the grill while delivering the ball.

Not sure why one or two of the big OL Psquad guys are not being brought in to have a look see. Put Cooley on the damn IR where he belongs (and I love Cooley, I agree he has much greater value here than anywhere else) and use his spot to get one of the young specimens languishing on a PSquad.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 25, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

If Gray moves to Memphis, then Blache becomes the wild card. Will he retire? I can see that happening. But I'm not sure it's a lock. If the D coaching staff is reasonably intact, I want a young offensive-minded college head coach. If Blache retires, then I want a defensive head coach.

Posted by: daggar | November 25, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Kaneohe, can't see trading Moss. We need 5 WR on the team and at least one should be an older vet. Plus trading him makes us have to spend a draft pick on a WR. Plus if DT and Kelly/Mitchell are on the outside, Moss would be awesome in the slot.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

I can see moving Moss to the slot.

I think Blache is done, by mutual agreement.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 25, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

btw, love the scarface ref.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 25, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P., Uncle Abe. You will be missed.

God knows he could have taught that clown Snyder a thing or two about being a classy owner.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 25, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

diesel44

"We haven't drafted a lineman in the first 2 rounds since Samuels and I say not only do we need to draft the next Samuels we need the next Grimm too."

I agree with some of this.

The team does indeed need to draft superior linemen.

But the people who drafted Grimm and Samuels aren't running things now.

You can take a tackle with picks 1 and 2 and still need a quarterback (give up the Colt fantasy when Sam Bradford's there to be had--please), running back, and depth.

Long term thinking means you devote the next three years to adding a 1st or 2nd round pick to the offensive line--the great improvement folks want is not all going to happen next April.

And for every Tre Johnson, there's an Andre Johnson--a lineman drafted high who was a bust.

Skins fans always forget about that guy when listing failed high round drafted skill players who were busts.

Thing is, if the draft is a crap shoot, you don't stop drafting at a position just because some guy in long ago forgotten time failed.

Troy Williamson failed in vikingsland, and they still went after Harvin.

Art Schlicter failed for the colts, yet they still went after Manning.

Did the seahawks remember Brian Bosworth while drafting Lofa Tatupu and Aaron Curry?

Nope.

Should the skins forget past failures and use a mix of top free agents, Hanyesworth-type money, and drafted players to add offensive linemen and speed?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT $NYDER,
Instead give the money you would spend on $nyder's investments to a charitable organization during the holidays. Abe Pollin would be proud of you as well as hessone. I know you are probably sick of seeing my post about the BOYCOTT $NYDER thing but don't lose focus. Happy Thanksgiving and remember:

THE MOST PESSIMISTIC FAN CAN REFUSE TO GIVE $NYDER MONEY AND STILL SAY A BOYCOTT WON'T WORK!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Love the game, the team, and the owner. Any other questions about hockey?

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse