So much for Redskins' offensive improvement

There was a sense a couple of weeks ago, when the Redskins had scored 30 points in back-to-back outings against New Orleans and Oakland, that the offense, in its second year under Jim Zorn and its second month under play-caller Sherm Lewis, was coming around. Now, after a pair of dismal performances -- a 45-12 loss to the New York Giants and Sunday night's 17-0 loss at Dallas -- the offense again appears in shambles. That, Zorn said Monday, has dismissed any notion that the unit had turned the corner and would end the season on a steady progression.

"I thought the Raiders had a very good defense," Zorn said, "and we moved the ball. We did what we wanted, and protected the QB, and ran the ball well. But in these last two games, we've struggled -- especially this last game -- in holding up against the opponent's defensive line, both in the run and the pass. It created problems."

Part of the improvement earlier in the season came because the coaching staff -- which includes, in this case, Zorn, offensive assistant Chris Meidt and Lewis -- eliminated seven-step drops for quarterback Jason Campbell, which essentially means eliminating downfield throws. That, though, didn't solve the problem against the Cowboys, who repeatedly drilled Campbell.

"We were hit several times on three-step drops, and so it was a very difficult situation for us to be in calling plays, running or throwing the football," Zorn said. "It just made it difficult the whole day, especially to be able to feel comfortable in that pocket extending the field, trying to push those defenders off of our receivers."

That is essentially what Campbell said Sunday night during an interview on Comcast SportsNet, when Campbell said he was "very worried about the situation I've been put in." When Zorn was relayed those remarks during his Monday press conference, he said, "He's worried about it?"

Very worried, he was told.

"That's probably a strange use of words," Zorn said. "Again, maybe after a game or whatever. Hey, it's a tough game played by tough men, and nobody in the NFL, no player -- especially when you play -- is guaranteed the comfort and cush of anything. It's a hard game.

"This is what I would say about Jason: Fortunately for Jason, he took the time to treat his body roughly in the offseason so he could stand up under the hits during the season."

Zorn has tried not to put too much blame on the slew of backups who are playing on the Redskins offensive line now -- left tackle Levi Jones wasn't in the league when the season began, right tackle Stephon Heyer was on the left side, right guard Mike Williams hadn't played in a regular season game since 2005. But he acknowledged Monday that those players can't hold up as well as those they replaced.

"Some of them are one-on-one battles," Zorn said. "Some of it, it has to be technique, things that we'll work on technique-wise with some of the guys. We asked a couple guys to go in and play that had zero -- had really zero -- reps [in practice] and it's difficult to come in, I think, against a defensive group like that and try to be as we need to be, and that caused part of the problems."

Zorn will almost certainly coach his last game with the Redskins Sunday in San Diego, the 32nd game in which he will have used his West Coast offense for Washington. Despite the results, he said he still has confidence in the system.

"I think I can maintain that confidence," he said. "I'm sure everyone lacks confidence in what we've been doing. Just the output hasn't matched the scheme, and after the season, we've just got to evaluate. You got to evaluate players. You got to evaluate scheme, and all the things involved, what we did at what times and how things progressed and how things digressed. It's a detailed examination of how it went."

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 28, 2009; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins in compliance with Rooney Rule
Next: Analysis: Why Zorn offers no comfort to Campbell

Comments

Cheyenne, I'll go with February 9th 2013. After hoisting his third Lombardi trophy in as many years, Zorn steps down triumphant. And just to keep the wins coming, Coach Z passes the reigns to Jerry Gray his loyal assistant.
(Coincidentally, Mr.Redskin21 losses his virginity that very same day!)

Posted by: mack1 | December 28, 2009 5:30 PM |
--------

Who are you?

I've never read any of your posts.

So I can't even believe you flat-out admit that you think of me (let alone my cherry status). You must have a real interesting life.

But have fun pulling your pud over an anonymous font, scooter.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The wheels fell off, then they were duct-taped together for a few weeks, then they fell off again.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I think it's strange that Zorn is talking about evaluating players after the season. The dude has to know he isn't going to be here.

How it went???????

The season was an abortion.

That's how it went.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

But while he's beefed up the Redskins' bottom line, Snyder's lost more than just games. He's lost something that no other team had: the support of the most powerful people in the country. This is a team that over the years has counted presidents, senators, and Supreme Court justices among its most die-hard fans. In a town as partisan as D.C., the Redskins were the one unifier, the one thing that Republicans and Democrats could both cheer for.

As president, Nixon used to show up at practices. He's even rumored to have called in a play during a 1971 NFC playoff game. (The play lost 13 yards.) In 1966, LBJ became the first sitting president to go to a pro-sports event when he visited then-Redskins' minority owner Edward Bennett Williams's box. Pre-Snyder, that owner's box counted as its regulars presidential hopefuls like Eugene McCarthy, George McGovern, and Pat Buchanan. Ethel Kennedy was given a luxury box after RFK was assassinated. Sen. John Warner used to show up with wife Elizabeth Taylor in tow.

After the Redskins won the Super Bowl in 1983, President Reagan stood in the freezing cold at Dulles airport, shaking hands as the team deplaned from Pasadena. Nine years later, after their third Super Bowl victory, President George H.W. Bush threw the team a backyard barbecue in the Rose Garden. He even beat them at a game of horseshoes.

But those days are gone. President Obama likes the Bears and Steelers. The biggest name you'll see in the owner’s box these days is Tom Cruise. Not only has the winning stopped, but the team's luster has been tarnished among the Beltway brass. Hall of Fame running back and Redskins' all-time leading rusher John Riggins sees it all too well. In a mid-December interview with NEWSWEEK, Riggins described a party he'd recently attended at the home of a U.S. senator. "There were some Supreme Court justices there, definitely people high up inside the government," says Riggins, "and they were all saying the same thing: they are done supporting this team."

Maybe that's why Snyder made the change and fired Cerrato. Maybe he realized that, after a season in which chants of "Sell the Team" have wafted up to the owner's box and fans have been banned from bringing signs into FedEx Field, lest they say something nasty about the owner, all that dysfunction and losing might finally hit him where it hurts: the wallet.

--------

but who cares?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Sam Donaldson and Alan Greenspan?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"In 1966, LBJ became the first sitting president to go to a pro-sports event when he visited then-Redskins' minority owner Edward Bennett Williams's box."

That doesn't pass the sniff test... haven't presidents been throwing out the first pitch at baseball games (which I think meet the criteria of "pro-sports event") for like a hundred years?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing we see press conference on 1/4 announcing new HC . . .probably Shanahan. . .Zorn has likely started packing up the office already.

Here is what I want to hear at said presser...
1) from Snyder - very little except here is our new HC and he and Allen will be handling all football decisions and operations while I go off and try to save Six Flags - I don't want to hear any shti about SBs, the 80s etc. Those SB trophies had best be locked up.

2)from new HC - straight to the point about how this is a franchise with a great tradition and history but not recently and none of that matters given the lousy 2009 season. That we are rebuilding. That we are not a good team yet but we can be. That every person on the roster will have to prove their worth and fight for their chance for a spot or as a starter. I don't want pompoms of any kinds just a guy standing up there saying we can be good but not yet and everyone has to prove their worth. That any shenanigans from players who think they are more important than the team because they have a big paycheck will not be tolerated.
Buck stops with the HC period so get on board or get ready to hold a clipboard.

Posted by: sfskin | December 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | December 28, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering if Zorn is in denial, in a zen like place or if he's already gotten a phone call about something else for him next year?

Is there anyone out there who thinks for even one second that this guy will still be here in a week?

Maybe Holmgren hinted that he can come to Cleveland and QB coach Quinn.

Posted by: sfskin | December 28, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

How it went???????

The season was an abortion.

That's how it went.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 6:11 PM

This comment is the equivalent of the fake FG last week. He called/said what?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

PA, jcabana, and the other soup lovers, you guys keep beating the drum that its all everybody else's fault and JC just needs some more time and a better oline.....its meaningless, in 6 days he will have played his last game as the Redskins starter and he and Zorn can go hang out in Cleveland with the Big Show and Shanny will rebuild the oline with a bunch of smaller athletic technically sound guys who typically don't go in the top 5 anyway, with a better defense, a better collection of receivers, whatever RB he plugs in for a 1000 yards (mike bell, mike anderson, travis henry, etc.) and a young, mobile, accurate QB who will flourish in his bootleg, roll the pocket, WCO system. IMO, the question will be will Shanny ever get us a Championship, not if he will make us immediately competitive and respectable and a perennial playoff contender especially inheriting what he didn't have in Denver, a defense!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I beat no such drum. All I'm arguing is that Campbell isn't so terrible that replacing him should be an immediate priority. Attributing any greater level of Campbell support to me is an exaggeration.

What makes you think Shanahan will automatically be able to duplicate any of what he did in Denver? Alex Gibbs was Shanahan's o-line guru; he works in Atlanta last time I checked. What makes you think the team will improve on defense? The Redskins defense is overrated this season, and Shanahan fired a couple of defensive coordinators during his Denver tenure with middling results to show for it.

Recent history has proven that picking a QB high -- and missing -- has far-reaching, devastating consequences on a franchise. Check out this list of busts: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/174684-worst-nfl-draft-busts-quarterback#page/1 . Each miss set back these franchises a few years.

Or check out this one: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/470454/nfl_quarterback_drafts_more_bust_than.html

The Redskins should find a new QB to develop. But they'd better not spend a high pick, trade picks, or spend a ton of money on one until more pieces are in place. If thinking that makes me a "soup-lover", then I'll wait in line for seconds.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

By Barry Svrluga | December 28, 2009; 6:00 PM ET

Typical Zorn: "Everyone's out of step but me and my scheme."

Posted by: League-Source | December 28, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea Zorn..................SHOTGUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Holmgren hinted that he can come to Cleveland and QB coach Quinn.

Posted by: sfskin | December 28, 2009 6:22 PM

Snyder owes him next year's salary. I'm betting that he takes the year off, relaxes, recuperates.

He's a good man who has been way over his head for two years now.

Posted by: League-Source | December 28, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under on what % of plays Zorn called last night...35%

I'm taking the OVER.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 28, 2009 6:27 PM

Jack fell asleep again. This time with his ass on the cap key and his nose on the ! key.

Posted by: League-Source | December 28, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I've been of the opinion that Cowher going to the Panthers was almost a done deal, but what if he's coming to DC? Would he come and work under BA?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 6:44 PM

John Fox is their Coach next year.

I'm on the record as saying...
HC Cowher
OC Shanny
DC Lovie Smith
ST John Gruden

I could be wrong but that might be a pretty good staff.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

1965, I think the prevailing opinion at the moment is that Snyder plans to give full control of football matters to a "name" coach like Shanahan (or maybe Cowher, as you mention), and Bruce Allen will essentially report to that guy and do his bidding... all the grunt work of salary cap, contracts, etc. Instead of the conventional structure of owner > GM > coach it would be owner > coach > GM.

I'm not convinced Shanahan is a done deal, given Snyder's propensity for surprises (pleasant and unpleasant), and I won't believe the hire until it's announced... but I'm relieved that the Zorn era is coming to a close, for everyone's sake.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I like where your head's at, though I would throw in a GM triumvirate of Bruce Allen (since he's already been hired), Bill Polian and Ernie Accorsi.

It probably goes without saying, but the chain of command will still end with Snyder, since he knows more fubbal than all those dudes combined...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

(Just in case I haven't made it abundantly clear, I do not care for this Dan Snyder person.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Just once - once - I wanted Zorn to pull a Jim Mora.

This would have been nice: Diddly Poo.

Perhaps "piddly doo" instead.

There's still time Jim. But the clock is ticking (and don't you know it).

Posted by: SteveMG | December 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Shanahan would rather be in Texas. Just my humble opinion.
I would love to see Cowher on the sidelines getting in (insert the name of your prima donna)'s face and telling them to get with the program or get lost! This team of overpaid sissy's sorely needs a collective kick in their azz'es.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 6:54 PM

That three head monster @ GM may be what it will take to reverse the damage done by Snyder/Vinny/Gibbs the last 5 years.

For the record:
Love coach Gibbs (my son's middle name is Jackson)
Hate GM Gibbs

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Greenspan said that he thought the free market system was self-regulating, making one wonder why we needed Greenspan and the Fed in the first place.

Snyder, he says Bruce Allen has final say on all team matters.

Which begs the question...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Snyder, he says Bruce Allen has final say on all team matters.

Which begs the question...

Posted by: Chia_Pet

I for one believe Greenspan should go down in history as one of the worst Fed Chairmen ever. He and his policies/cronies started and fueled the genesis and the life of the financial collapse we are living through now. Bernanke aka, helicopter Ben, is as corrupt if not worse.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm and Dan Snyder are mutually exclusive.

Nice idea, but no way.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm and Dan Snyder are mutually exclusive.

Nice idea, but no way.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:11 PM |

?

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I know Snyder said that about Allen's having"final say," but I'm choosing not to believe him... I think Snyder wants zero obstacles in his quest for a "name" coach this time, after (I believe) hamstringing his previous search by insisting that Cerrato and most of Gibbs' staff be retained, conditions to which no serious candidate would (I believe) accede.

And why do you say that about Grimm's chances to ever be hired by Snyder? I think it's unlikely after Zorn will Snyder would take a chance on a guy who hasn't been an NFL HC before -- at least for a few years hence -- but "mutually exclusive" seems pretty definitive... what's the scoop?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It is fairly common knowledge that Grimm is well liked and very respected by his players, especially his offensive lineman. He has the knowledge and experience to back up everything that he's trying to teach his guys.

He's never called plays (here or any stop in the past) and he's never been a true coordinator. He shares the co-coordinator title which means that he's involved in the development of a game plan throughout the week but his actual involvement during the game is somewhat of a mystery.

As a head coach I would envision him as something in between a "players coach" and a "disciplinarian" and I would guess that he'd prefer somewhat of a run-first offense. Some say he's been passed over as a head coach but he's never been a true coordinator and normally the step before becoming a head coach.

www.hogshaven.com

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Rich Tandler (Real Redskins):

While he was a player, he didn't seem to be the type who would become a coach. Primarily, that's because he enjoyed the night life. It wasn't unusual to see Grimm out until all hours around Georgetown, feeling no pain. I know, because I occasionally was in the same bars.

Even when he became a coach, he wasn't seen as a rising star. While some members of Norv's staff went on to become head coaches--Mike Martz, Cam Cameron, Mike Nolan--there never seemed to be any danger of losing Grimm to a promotion elsewhere.

When Norv was fired, there was no discussion of him becoming even the interim coach, much less the head coach. Evidently, he took much better to Cowher than he did to Norval. I have to wonder, though, why Rooney did not hire him when Cowher retired. It was a done deal and he pulled it back at the last minute. Certainly he
hit a home run with Tomlin but, still, I wonder why he didn't pull the trigger on Grimm.

Also, I wonder why Grimm isn't a full-fledged coordinator in his 18th year of coaching. He's had a better shot at it than Zorn in that he's been in the NFL the whole time while Zorn spent time at Utah State and Boise State.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Ah, okay, so you think Grimm is out of the running for this hire, in this coming offseason... but say we get three or four years down the road and we (ahem) need a new coach and Grimm has a few seasons of coordinator experience, would you say he and Snyder would be mutually exclusive at that point?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 28, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Ben Folsom (The Curly R):

So in all this why did Russ Grimm's phone never ring: simple. Dan Snyder knows Russ Grimm is eventually a loser for him. Russ is a sympathetic character for Redskins fans. No matter what happens, Dan will get the blame for failing and Russ will get credit for winning. Then one day when Dan has to fire Russ, then my friend Dan finds true bottom in the hearts of Redskins fans.

Russ will never coach for this team while Dan owns it, neither will any of Joe Gibbs' proteges, anyone that represents true Redskins football.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

My own opinion?

I put Russ Grimm in the "I take no B.S" from anyone category.

I just don't see a former Hog getting along with Snyder.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Ben Folsom (The Curly R):

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:23 PM

Ding, Ding...

Folsom nailed it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

"He's worried about it?"

Very worried, he was told.

----------------

Zorn is basically saying to Campbell, "Stop bi*chin"

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm's phone hasn't exactly been ringing off the hook anywhere else.

I agree that Shanahan is not promised success here (if he's here), but no coach has any promises. When Gibbs came back we may as well had thrown a parade.

I think Allen needs to pick the right coach and GIVE HIM TIME!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX-

Because Snyder has meddled in the past, I doubt that Allen or Shanahan would allow too much.

Also, I have read reports that Snyder is not involved as many thinks he is.

Let's give this leopard a chance to change his spots.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

For his own sake, and ours, Snyder better keep a lid on the coaching search, or be decisive this time around.

The Zorn debacle assures that Snyder won't take a chance on an any unknown quantity.

It's gotta be either Shanny or Cowher.

I vote Cowher, and bring Grimm along for the ride.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

It is clear that, soon, Mr.Redskin21 will finally! lose his virginity with Russ Grimm, whilst Joe Bugel looks on, his visage filled with regret and his belly full of baby-back ribs.

Posted by: lard_lad | December 28, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Grimm? What would his offense look like?

Posted by: bangkokben | December 28, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Ken Harvey (from my talk with him last week) both made good points: It's not fair to a player to label him a bust if he is being used incorrectly. I don't think Jesus could accurately evaluate this squad. Mr. Snyder ended the decade just like he started it: A losing team with a carousel of coaches and multiple top-priced free agents.

-KevinE

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

For a minute there, I was afraid Urban Meyer was on his way to Washington, you know, to help ensure that the Redskins get to draft Tebow.

As for Zorn, I still suspect he agreed to just be a faux coach until the owner could get his real-deal team and staff lined up. Think he was always a placeholder, and was told that. But was feeling his oats last year trying to prove he belonged. He's been completely different in his aura this year, even before the Sherms hijacked his HC duties.

Posted by: Xlnt | December 28, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Agreed.

Zorn seems tired, broken down.

I do wish him the best.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Zorn really is in his own little world.

I watched that post game presser and he kept using words like "optimistic" and "we'll improve" and things that made absolutely NO sense what so ever.

He's really is in total denial right now.

Now when you listened to the players that Kelli Johnson was talking with, I got one thing LOUD and CLEAR....a lot of the Redskins are NOT taking this seriously.

The first thing Bruce Allen should do after the season (and hire a new coach) is talk to the players individually and see who really wants to play and who doesn't.

After that interview Carlos Rogers had with Johnson last night, I would resign that guy ASAP based on desire and want.

I sure hope they get players who want to be here and not just want to get paid next year. It's been too obvious that's all Cerrato ever signed. I hope Bruce Allen can see through those type of people.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 28, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, Zorn is coming back next year.

Posted by: abxinc | December 28, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that be something?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcazz | December 28, 2009 8:02 PM

I liked when he said we were 4-13 and that he didn't fault guys for their try hard.

Not a typo, actually Zorn quote.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

rmcazz I saw that interview, and I was surprised that Los basically said he wanted to be here next year. Conversely, JC when asked the same question, seemed indifferent to staying My hunch is that JC wants to test the FA market, but knows that the good money is on the Skins tendering an offer to him.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was a weird comment.

Jim Zen is lost in space, unfortunately.

He's been in the middle of an Orwellsian Mind Ferk, can you blame the guy for being human?

Denial is one of the stages of loss.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Who is Bruce Allen most likely to gel with, other than Gruden?

That's the guy we need as coach. This pair will be tied to the hip, sink or swim.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

It's what I think and know soup lover/excuse maker. I appologize for rating him higher I should have though. Soup busted a 46 that day. Sorry.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

So now you're selectively culling from my posts, and ignoring my other points. Congrats for proving nothing.

Collins is a backup QB who was given several chances to start early in his career. When good teams have time to prepare for him, he's worse than Campbell, which is why he doesn't start.

For his career, Soup averages a 85 QB rating. Awesome? No. Good enough? Sure.

I'm not going to dignify any more of your crappy arguments with responses, so fire away. I'll stick with p1funk and other people who can offer meaningful disagreement.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 6:06 PM

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shat a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive.

So now, I've got a shat covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

How can Zorn say he'll evaluate anything Redskins related this offseason with a straight face? The only thing he'll be evaluating is the QB for the Browns when he's Holmgren's QB coach next season.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 8:21 PM |
--------------

LOL... I love it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Realness1 TC has little value to the Skins going forward because of his age. He won't be back with the Skins next year unless he lowers his salary. I think a player to keep an eye on is Rosenfels. He'll be a FA. The Vikings want Farve back and they don't want to give up on Jackson yet.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we draft Rosenpenis out of Iowa State years ago?

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we draft Rosenpenis out of Iowa State years ago?

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:31 PM

Yes they did.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Great Odin's raven!

Just can't get enough of the Soup debate so I'll offer this as well...

I know that one day JC will win a Super Bowl and then we can all party on top of a mountain, and there will be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs.

And we will dance till the sun rises. And then we will form a Jason Campbell Lover's band.

And we will tour the countryside and all the non believers won't be invited.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

All sounds good to me Twis. TC buys you a year of better QBing than DC has seen in a few years w/o jumping thru hoops. Sage did play well in preseason.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked him. Just had issues protecting the football that could be corrected (hopefully). If Shanny's son coaches the offense, don't be surprised if we make a play for him since he knew it well in Houston.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Didn't we draft Rosenpenis out of Iowa State years ago?

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:31 PM |

That was Marty's pick. Spurrier's was Gibran Hamdan. Neither one has amounted to much.

Posted by: League-Source | December 28, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw Hamdan on Buffalo's roster...

Rosenrosen wouldn't be the worst QB in the world next year. Maybe more of the same as JC though...88 rating, 65% comp and 18-20 TD's...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

hip hip hooray

Posted by: hender_22 | December 28, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins address Rooney Rule"

So let me get this straight: to make sure he can quickly replace the unqualified white male coach he hired in Jim Zorn, Dan Snyder interviews an obedient, yet qualified black coach in Jerry Gray so he doesn't have to hire him?

And we wonder why we are where we are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | December 28, 2009 8:37 PM

Funny thing about those late round picks. They are both still in the league and have lasted longer than most 4th and 7th rounders.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------------

Xint--I actually agree with you. Knowing that 2010 would probably be an uncapped year, given the difficulty finding a coach, maybe Snyder did hire Zorn to be a placeholder, privately writing off the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He hoped for the best but expected the worst.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 28, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:39 PM

It would be more of the same. Rosenfels makes some horrendous decisions with the ball. The one advantage he will have is that he should be well schooled in the Shanny's offense so he should be able to help the other strters, and whatever young QB that is picked up (hopefully in the middle rounds) in this year draft, get assimilated with the offense.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

He had a nice little run with Houston a few years back...Same can be said with JC last year through week 8 though. I still wouldn't hate him or JC at QB next season with a new line and a toy or two...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 28, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"...when Campbell said he was "very worried about the situation I've been put in." When Zorn was relayed those remarks during his Monday press conference, he said, "He's worried about it?"

Wow.

Jason Campbell should read this blog.

Folks here feel he locks in on receivers, reads his progressions too slowly, and is, well, dumb.

They never see how he gets hit usually as soon as he tries to set his feet to throw.

Now he's pretty much afraid to even play.

Do you blame him?

Most of you do.

There are folks who post here who think he's supposed to play like Joe Montana behind an offensive line featuring the likes of Wil Montgomery, Casey Rabach, Levi Jones, Derrick Dockery, Mike Williams, and Stephon Heyer.

Folks need to be reminded that no NFL quarterback drafts offensive lineman.

I bet good money Campbell wants out of DC more than DC wants Campbell gone.

That is, if he's not too afraid to leave.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 8:51 PM |
-------------

He IS supposed to play like a competent pro QB. He hasn't. He sucks, through and through.

And those passes last night must have been humiliating for him; well, he can take solace, watching him throw those 4 balls into the stands at various stages of the game was humiliating for true Redskins fans too.

On the penultimate throw, even Cartwright couldn't hide his disgust.

So let Campbell ride off into the sunset and take some other team deep into the playoffs, win a Super Bowl, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins address Rooney Rule"

And we wonder why we are where we are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 8:41 PM

To your point. They addressed and complied with the rule by interviewing an internal “candidate” in order to quickly move past that speed bump of a requirement.

This rule should leave the NFL and end up in the NCAA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | December 28, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The Skinz and the Panz, both out of the playoffs:

ESPN on the Panz in their last two games: "But despite being without their starting QB, running back, both offensive tackles, defensive tackle and weakside linebacker, the Panthers have outscored the Vikings and Giants 67-16 in the last two weeks."

Zorn on the Skinz in their last two games: "But in these last two games, we've struggled -- especially this last game -- in holding up against the opponent's defensive line, both in the run and the pass. It created problems."

Vast dif for two teams with similar probs, in part prob due to the Skinz knowing many will be gonzo soon with a new GM and HC on board and coming off a 4-12 season.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigE44 | December 28, 2009 9:08 PM

BigE- The coach wants to see you, please bring your laptop.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but you all watching me blog to myself seems pointless.

Posted by: daggar | December 28, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:00 PM |

Hey, it has even gotten to the point where incompetent black coaches are getting hired. See Raheem Morris and TB.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:16 PM

I'd take Morris over Zorn.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but you all watching me blog to myself seems pointless.

Posted by: daggar | December 28, 2009 9:15 PM |

I agree, but if you had something intelligent to say, which you don't, it wouldn't pointless. There's lots of cool blogs to read on the internet. You just have to know where they are.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

RE: I believe this rule is antiquated. This was a great rule when it was implemented but in today's game the best candidates usually get the interview and then hired.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:00 PM |

It was put in place in 2003. I don't think the right adjective is antiquated...

Posted by: BigE44 | December 28, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

On the penultimate throw, even Cartwright couldn't hide his disgust.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 28, 2009 8:59 PM |

One of the dud's "throws into the stands" was ten feet over the head of a wide open Skin receiver for Chrissakes, like he had lost any pretension of giving a shti - his version of Zorno's "trick play" fiasco.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"No, he isn't supposed to play like Joe Montana (I notice how the JC backers always dissolve into hyperbole)."

I'm more of a redskin fan than a JC backer.

I'm all about perspective, too.

It's interesting to watch folks bemoan the offensive line and quarterback play all at the same time.

As for me, I only want Campbell around to keep things warm while the offensive line is re-configured and a young q-back groomed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

It was put in place in 2003. I don't think the right adjective is antiquated...

Posted by: BigE44 | December 28, 2009 9:27 PM

True. That would make my son antiquated.

Still, This is a rule that has good intentions, yet can be circumvented too easily. I think the bigger problem is the hiring practices and the power of boosters in the NCAA.

Ahh…What do I know, I’m just a 30 year old white dude.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

"Can we cut bloggas who only make a valid/interesting/intelligent/original point 35% of the time?"

I'm not getting the math.

Your suggestion would mean 65% of what we would read is pointless jibberish.

That's what the other sections of the WaPo are for.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

So now, Jay Cutler is showing he's worth the money.

Go figure.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:33 PM |

Given his history it may be better if the Skinz can figure out a way to package him for some kind of draft pick trade - maybe pick up a 3rd rounder to compensate for the pick that was used on Jarmon. I find it hard to believe he is the only option if they are looking for a placeholder. One disadvantage of keeping him is that he doesn't learn well (the old dreaded "new system to learn" syndrome) and this can't be too appetizing for whoever the new HC will be. Why not play this Fartel QB dude in the SD game to see what he has?

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm not getting the math.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:36 PM |

I think that is why even if it were 10% or 5% instead of 35% the blog would look deserted.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

So now, Jay Cutler is showing he's worth the money.

Go figure.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:38 PM |

Mebbe the dud knows something we don't - like Shanny is coming to town.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"Given his history, it may be better if the Skinz can figure out a way to package him (Jason Campbell)for some kind of draft pick trade..."

I think it depends on the team.

A team kinda sorta loaded is not going to part with picks for Campbell.

A team with a lot of needs might decent it needs it picks to rebuild.

A team like the vikes, though, might see Campbell as an upgrade over Rosenfels and T Jackson, especially if B Favre can not make a decision about football in '10.

I'd move him to the vikes below market value just to get whatever picks they offer: it's a win-win situation, really.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Not a typo, actually Zorn quote.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:05 PM |

It's the "maroon and black" syndrome. Hey, who sweats the deets, eh?

Posted by: TubularBells | December 28, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"p1funk and I agree on soup. Ask him. You said soup didn't get less than a 60 QB rating. I proved you wrong. Do some fact checking. TC's winning %, QB rating and playoff appearances w/ DC are better than your boy's. Did better in the game they each played a half. Check the facts. 2+2=4; not the 17 you make it out to be. He's done in a week so make sure you record the game while wearing your tackle twill authentic #17 jersey.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The difference is that p1funk makes actual relevant points and uses coherent arguments, even though I disagree with him.

He sharply contrasts with your style of discourse, which seems to consist of crap arguments, responses to strawman points that I never tried to make in the first place, and name-calling.

I never said that TC had never recorded a higher QB rating than JC. I simply said TC's almighty Chiefs performance was worse than Soup's average per game performance throughout this season.

But don't let that stop you. It must be very satisfying on some level to win arguments you make up in your own head.

The odds of Campbell coming back are greater than the odds of TC coming back; the market for mediocre QBs pushing 40 isn't that big. So I suggest you gird yourself for the disappointment of having to find a new backup QB whose popsicle you can suck -- and who you'll no doubt defend with absurd arguments like the ones you've been making so far.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Another JC post = another nonsensical post.

Oh JC, there are literally dozens of other QBs that we should be with instead, but we are 55% percent sure that we want you.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Moving on: Jerry Gray did the media-acceptable thing by refusing to comment on the interview process. Remember all the grief that Jasno gave Cerrato for lying about the Jason Taylor negotiations? A "no comment" is perceived by the reporter-types to be the right way to go about things.

That said, it's disgusting that Snyder would have interviewed him so long ago, THEN fired Cerrato weeks later. Talk about ass-backward. I suppose at that point, he was considering keeping Cerrato on board. Any way you slice it, it just makes the Redskins look totally dysfunctional. Again.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:33 PM |

Moe, I'm down with your thinking.

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

No points in the first half, 6-3 DC lead in the second. 47 rating to 60 for TC. Wasn't pretty, but it was better than soup as usual.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No, it wasn't. Soup usually pulls out a QB rating above 60.1, regardless of what you think of him.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 3:44 PM

This is what I responded to Einstein.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | December 28, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Diesel44. So true!

I'm just tired of chasing after other teams' trash or the hottest names out of college every year. A friend of mine who is a hardcore Giants fan thinks Eli is mediocre -- and that if it wasn't for the Super Bowl win, he would have been sent packing by now. Yet I'm sure lots of bloggers here would kill to have Eli playing here.

The grass is always greener...

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:33 PM |

Moe, I'm down with your thinking.

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

For the record, so am I.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 10:14 PM

And Again, and again, and again...

The FO’s repetition of dysfunction is similar to the same tired argument of JC on this freaking board.

He's as average as that C most of us received in college. Certainly not what you hoped for but passable and not a complete failure.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Eli. He looks just as lost as JC 17 when he's on the field.

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

AP is so damn good.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade Landry for AP - oh wait, we could have done that at the draft!

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

AP is so damn good.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 10:26 PM

He's ok. I'm glad we have LL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Players needed:

O.K. BRUCE, work your financial magic, and make it happen.

FA:

7th - Best available at any position
8- undrafted if available:
MATT McCRACKEN OG URichmond
TERRELL WHITEHEAD FS Norfolk State

"SKINS rule in '10 !!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

glawrence007 I like the FA list. I like that you've also identified DT as a position of need this offseason as well. Another name at that position is Tony Brown from Tennessee who played with Haynesworth. It might lend to a little more similarity to the position. I'm not feeling your draft choices.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Uh, sorry Diesel, I think I ate your chocolate squirrel.

Happy Holidays, everyone!!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking that DT slot as well. I posted a day or two ago that putting another monster in there next to Haynesworth would yield huge dividends. That could be fun to watch.

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

1st - SAM BRADFORD QB

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 10:38 PM

I've seen this post before. Ok, I've seen it at least a dozen times...

Bradford in a word. NO!

Played in a spread style O (not a pro style O)
Never seen a pass rush
Hurt his shoulder twice (durability is a ?)
Arm strength is a big ?
Who was the last decent Boomer pro QB?

He would add an additional 2 years to our 3 year plan.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

After this season the team might want to change its name after all.

The players and coaches, too.

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | December 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

no matter what Bruce Allen does, no matter how much the team may improve in the coming years, or if it does not, one fact has been established and cannot ever be changed:

Snyder is an F'g jerk and a petty creep. he will be an F'g jerk and a petty creep for the rest of his life no matter what happens. this will ALWAYS infect the Redskins while this F'g jerk/petty creep owns them. no matter who is GM, no matter who is coach, no matter what the W/L columns look like.

I hate being unable to avoid this conclusion.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 28, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

After this season the team might want to change its name after all.

The players and coaches, too.

See:

Posted by: MikeLicht | December 28, 2009 11:03 PM

shut up you leftist nitwit

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 28, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

All this tak about the redskins offense is realy getting old. The real problem is clearly the OFFENSIVE LINE. My question is WHEN IS JOE BUGEL GOING TO START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS LINE PLAY?
I'm just wondering why he's been ignored for so long. Anyone out there agree?

Posted by: YSC09 | December 28, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

an Ahole bought our team and he's going to own is and be an Ahole for the rest of most of our lives.

talk about life not being fair, an Ahole like $nyder can make all that money selling lies to people (marketing) and then turn around and ruin a significant part of our lives with it.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 28, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

just leave your name, and an email address good in 2047, a we'll be sure to let you know when Snyder sells the team.

Posted by: daggar | December 28, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Uh, sorry Diesel, I think I ate your chocolate squirrel.

Happy Holidays, everyone!!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 28, 2009 10:45 PM

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX-

Also, I have read reports that Snyder is not involved as many thinks he is.

Let's give this leopard a chance to change his spots.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Ricky, what reports are you referring to? Name your sources. My sources say the opposite. Mike Wilbon, Joe Gibbs' statement to the press yesterday. Also, see Mike Wise's column today.

Anyway we've been lied to on this very question and burned by Snyder so many times, he'd have to vanish for two years before I would be able to believe he's not meddling.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 28, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

A quick thought experiment... IBM presents You Be the GM!

Chicago dumps Lovie because the Cutler trade didn't work out. They come to you and offer you Cutler for JC and Santana. Do you:
(a) Give Shanahan his QB
(b) Counter with Cutler-for-JC straight up
(c) Counter with Cutler for JC and some other starter
(d) Mention the interceptions and see if they'll take a dime bag, some partially chewed gum, and a used prophylactic.
(e) State that Vinny no longer works here, so crazy has indeed left the building.

Posted by: daggar | December 28, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Brett "freaking" Farve

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | December 28, 2009 11:37 PM

(f) hire Lovie to be our DC.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

daggar not a big Cutler fan because I think he's immature. If the powers that be wanted to get Cutler, then I hope they hard ball and do either (b) or (d).

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing watching Farve lead those dramatic 4th quarter drives for TD's.

...then I find myself thinking "Has JC 17 EVER lead an exciting 4th drive for a TD with just seconds left on the clock?" ...ever?

Posted by: edvar | December 28, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Was that Zorn playing for a FG?

WOW, freaking WOW

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 28, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I've seen this post before. Ok, I've seen it at least a dozen times...

Bradford in a word. NO!

DIESEL44:

I thought I'd just keep it up until somebody said something.

Actually I don't like anyone at QB in this draft, and feel it's a waste of a great pick. I'm convinced however, the SNYDER wants a new QB, and will not be denied, new GM or no new GM. I would prefer signing JC for two with an incentive-laden deal, and drafting the best LT available with our #5 or 6, But a good LT can be had this off-season in FA and I just don't see JASON here after this season. If the mental midget really was VC, maybe we get lucky.

I love CIRON BLACK RT or MIKE JOHNSON RG in the second round of the draft for the line.

And I understand that
ANTONIO DIXON will probably be available in the early fourth. Not been hurt, and a true power runner at 6'1" 245. Behind a solid O-line he should thrive.

With PORTIS gone and BETTS recovering, we do need a solid runner. GANTHER, ALDRIGE, MASON, and CARTWRIGHT just don't measure up.

Anyway, glad you like the FA list. Now let's get BA to take a look, especially at COFIELD.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 11:52 PM

Your posts remind me of a comfortable seat at a bar. I'm not happy till one opens up or I see your post about our draft day possibilities.

For the record though...some of your choices are like being sandwiched at the bar between too fat chicks. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 11:52 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

daggar - I think I'm passing on that trade...

Posted by: edvar | December 29, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44:

Is there an echo in here? Like the fat chicks analogy. LOL.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Not a good night for the Cutler bashers.

Posted by: bones21 | December 29, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Diesel44:

Is there an echo in here? Like the fat chicks analogy. LOL.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 29, 2009 12:10 AM

I got excited. I should really start proof reading as well...two, not too.

I'm geeked to read anything that's not JC or Snyder related. One guy the FO hasn't wanted since we spent 2 1st's, a 3rd, & a 4th to get and the other guy isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Not a good night for the Cutler bashers.

Posted by: bones21 | December 29, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

If you're talking cutler for orakpo, next years 1, Kevin barnes and Campbell, the guy that was qb for the bears tonight I can do without. This is the wrong venue for defending that guy.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

AdamsCr

Where did you come up with that s**t? What I'm saying is there's been a lot of self-serving criticism towards Cutler this year, mostly by those who try and rationalize JC's ineptness. Those folks got burned tonight.

Posted by: bones21 | December 29, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Cutler and Campbell are two different situations a this point. One night does not redeem cutler. Especially one night where he let the opposition back in with a trademark INT. They mortgaged their franchise on someone who (no surprise) can't do it all himself. Regardless of what you think of Campbell, you should be happy we didn't give all those assets for cutler. You think Bruce Allen has it tough now...

Posted by: AdamCr | December 29, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Another JC post = Another nonsensical post.

JC is a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man JC is. Cutler is just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of JC's. It's science.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

You just made my point.

Posted by: bones21 | December 29, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

You just made my point.

Posted by: bones21 | December 29, 2009 12:34 AM

Sorry to mediate. AdamCR was saying that those individuals wouldn't be here if we had traded for Cutler.

And Guess what...that wasn't enough, the Broncos wanted a 2nd that we didn't have thanks to Jason Taylor.

That's the one brightside to the Taylor trade.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Not a good night for the Cutler bashers.

Why? One game does not a season make. Still don't want his pusse' azz on our team.

Pass.

Posted by: edvar | December 29, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Pass.

Posted by: edvar | December 29, 2009 12:53 AM

Or better yet...interception

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy Football Playoffs: Championships

The Hamsters championship pitted Suzanne’s Trippin' Billies against cL’s Carroll Street F Bombers. During the regular season, the Bombers had their highest scoring game of the year while handing the Billies their biggest defeat of the season.

The Bombers got hit with the absence of Steven Jackson and Laurence Maroney was shockingly shut out. But they got big games from Roddy White and the Jets defense who laid a licking on Indy – after Peyton left the game. The Billies had struggles as well, with 4 slots providing 3 or fewer points. The Billies were hit hard by injuries, as Hines Ward, Tony Gonzales and Brandon Jacobs all left their games early. Schaub led the Billies with 17, but was matched by 17 by Rivers for the Bombers.

The match began by tilting towards the Bombers early on and never changed as the Billies big hitter, Maurice Jones-Drew was held to 9 points. The final was 95-66. Congrats to chRIs LArrY and his Carroll Street F Bombers, the champions of the Hamster league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Over in the Peeps league, my Futaleufu Swimmers took on NoonefromTampa’s Noone Tampa team. A battle of the top 2 seeds, Tampa had won both regular season contests while the Futa had been the league’s top scoring team.

While the Futa team had players getting huge yards, they generated few TDs, leaving a window open for Tampa. Brady and Chris Johnson combined for 50 points. Futa’s 5 other position starters averaged 100 yards of offense, but they only added 1 TD. Futa also had a shanked FG by the Saints Hartley, resulting in a 6 point swing. Meanwhile, Tampa was getting modest yards, but TDs from Gore, Moreno, Thomas Jones and Holmes. A solid outing from Rivers left it a close call after Sunday’s action had completed.

Heading into Monday night, the Futa led 110-88, with the Vikes defense and Sidney Rice going. The Bears surprised the Vikes and late in the 3rd quarter, Tampa had made no progress. Then Favre got warm and Jay Cutler did what Cutler has done so often, sacks and an INT, and the Vikes defense began to close the gap.

Heading into the 4th quarter, Tampa had life. Could the Bears choke away their game and my championship? With 2 minutes left, the Bears dropped an easy INT and Tampa remained alive. Rice scored a TD and Tampa was within single digits … with overtime to come. The Bears had a clinching FG attempt in OT, and missed. But ultimately, the match turned on back to back plays, an Adrian Peterson fumble and a game winning Culter TD pass. The Futaleufu survived, with a 110-98 win.

Congrats to Me and my Futaleufu Swimmers, champions of the Peeps league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 29, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. Sure was fun watching two professional teams play. I speak, of course of the Vikings-Bears tilt.

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

you know, we can talk about Zorn and Campbell all we want. But before last years draft, most of us said number one priority was the O line. During the draft, same thing. After the draft, most of us were completely befuddled that not one O lineman was taken. All the way up to opening day, most of us were wondering when they were going to do something to strengthen the O line. Nothing worthwhile was ever done, except maybe signing Jeremy Bridges, whom we later cut and is now doing an adequate job at LT for the Cardinals. Alls I'm saying is that though many of us kept ourself in denial with hope and prayers as the season played out, I think we were just waiting for a weak O line to ruin the season.

Posted by: kenboy1 | December 29, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on the fantasy win, zeke.

Here's where I promise myself that I'm not going to play fantasy f-ball next season... a promise I'll forget when training camp starts up...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 29, 2009 1:09 AM

What a privilege for us all. TheDork has weighed in and hasn't offered a link to his regurgitated blog.

I can only offer this in response.

I'm TheDork. People rarely read my posts because I'm never original and I rarely offer anything but what I deem funny.

I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Doctors tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

kenboy, I completely agree with you on that... I assume you're talking about the 2008 draft, right?

The issue I have with WR-TE-WR is not the three guys we picked -- I've seen enough from them to know they could each be players in the league, despite their awful starts and Zorn's lengthy refusal to play them -- it's the philosophy that led to their selection... "O line? Nah... we're one big pass catcher away from going deeper into the playoffs!"

WR-TE-WR... now more than ever, bad for the Redskins...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are on here still discussing JC as if it were last year or two years ago...

The season is a wash...the coach sucks and JC has had more chances to show what he can do than ANY Qb I have ever seen at ANY level...

He still holds the ball too long and is slow reading the field and can't score in the red zone to save his life...You can start the same old tired argument all ya want...we have heard it.."needs more time" IF this" "IF THAT" "It's the o line"

He sucks point blank...You can throw all out the stats and %s you want! He does not win and THAT is the most important Stat of them all!

Whatever the guy is NOT the answer can we please move on and talk about the future etc? JC is GONE like it or not Get over it already! GEEZ

Posted by: leevi98 | December 29, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

"Cindy Boren: The Rooney Rule is a valuable and necessary commodity. It has helped to increase the number of minority hires. That said, there are times when you wonder about the rules and you are reminded that the NFL is a closely-held company. Tampering, with quick signings shortly after free agency kicks in, comes to mind; so does the announcement of the hiring of a GM 114 minutes after the announcement of the exit of the previous guy. In the matter of tampering, charges are levied; the NFL investigates; and issues its findings. In the matter of minority hiring, the Fritz Pollard Alliance is the group reporters turn to for answers. If the alliance is satisfied, that doesn't mean the process is clean, it just means that the guys who are charged with throwing a fit if the rules aren't complied with are cool with the situation. There's a ton of he said; he said and it's incredibly difficult to get to the bottom of what happened. And the end result is something that looks unseemly."
- this is a perfect subject for an expose? do it in the name of american journalism cindy!

Posted by: BMACattack | December 29, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree the interview was a sham for one reason:

He didn't interview with Bruce Allen. And he's the one hiring the next Head Coach.

????????????????????

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 29, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse

I am a big Fritz Pollard fan. And I believe he never gets the repect he deserved as he played back in the day. He was the only Black Football player in the Ivy League, as well as in the NFL. He was also a Haad Coach...A BLack Man..in the 1920s.....He created many different formations and plays being ran today, but a White Coach would get the credit.

If Pollard was alive, he would say that's what they was doing to him back in his days.....To interview Fritz and pick his brains for ideas for free. While never planning to hire him in the 1st place.

I would hate to think we're still living in the 1920s....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 29, 2009 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm being naieve or not totally in-tune with how running the plays work, but shouldn't campbell be a little bit more pro-active and adjust to the defense that is being dealt to him. He makes it sound like he was told to do a 3-step drop, and that he had no choice. So, even if he knew he would get sacked, he still was doing a 3-step drop, when he could have adjusted and thrown quicker passes.

This just seems stupid on zorn's and campbells end.

either way, just doesn't seem like their are the smartest people handling this organization right now.

Posted by: pfunc | December 29, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Enough of this Zorn crap his optimism is ridiculous. His run as a coach an playcaller is over in a few days, he failed and its alright he is a highly paid professional.

He must smoke some good weed because I don't understand during OTS's and the preseason what he and Vinny saw from an offensive standpoint that had them optimistic

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | December 29, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Though I'd agree that there was little recent game tape on the bingo caller and perhaps d-coaches have caught up with the changes...

... isn't there a good chance Zorn is saying "Screw it, I'm calling the plays again"?

All the Moss-in-the-flat passes made me think Al Saunders was back.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse