Some Good News, And Some Awful News

The Redskins got some very positive news on several injured players, but the organization was also trying to cope with the loss of another member of the football family, nutritionist Ann Litt, who died suddenly this week.

As for the injury stuff:

Clinton Portis and director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer both said that he is recovering well from a bout of tendonitis in his knee and will be full-go for the start of training camp. He'll miss this month's mini camp.

Marcus Washington, who had all kinds of medical work done to him this offseason including hip surgery (the most serious of the procedures) was back to practice for the first time Tuesday. He was full go and able to take part in drills, a welcome sight for teammates and coaches, who praised his unwavering positive attitude and work ethic during what has been a trying few months for him.

Mark Brunell told me that he's going to be able start practicing fully on Wednesday. Brunell, coming off of labrum surgery on his throwing shoulder, had been limited to short throw this offseason thus far (he good naturedly joked that the short stuff was all he could throw at this point in his career, anyway), but will be able to throw all routes and start stretching his arm in drills today. I still think he gets the No. 2 job and the Skins go with youth as the No. 3 QB and let Todd Collins go at some point when Mark is definitely 100 percent, but we shall see.

-0-

The Redskins are mourning the loss of another member of the organization, as team nutritionist Ann Litt passed away suddenly two months after former linebacker Kevin Mitchell died in his sleep. Litt, 54, entered the hospital recently with a blockage in her intestine and ended up suffering a rupture in her bowel that took her life, Bubba Tyer said.

Litt was a welcome figure around Redskins Park, usually at the facility midweek during the season to schedule appointments with players to review their diet, calorie intake and help them with their nutrition. Litt spent 30 years as a nutritionist and was also a published author.

Bubba said the loss was difficult to get over.

"We love her around here," Tyer said, "and a testament to her work here came when we had a meeting recently and the players all talked about how they need to eat more healthy and don't need as much fat in their diets. It was great, and it's all her work the last few years and we're going to miss her."

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 5, 2007; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Speaks (And Does Not Insert Foot In Mouth)
Next: Casey Bramlet Tearing It Up/Springs Still Excused

Comments

Wow. That is sad news indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family.

Posted by: Markian | June 5, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

sad and 2nd...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Too young ... and being a nutritionist and then to die of an intestinal problem, that plain out sucks!

Thanks for the updates though. Are the Skins really done at CB? as in Kelly Herndon, most recently of the Seahawks?

Posted by: dcsween | June 5, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

4th?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to the Litt family.

Glad to hear Marcus Washington was able to practice.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Dallas Could Elect Its First Gay Mayor (Not that there is anything wrong with that, but hey, All is fair in Love and Football)

Posted by: Ripped from the Headlines | June 5, 2007 04:31 PM

Posted by: From Previous Post | June 5, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Aside D Green, Ken Harvey was the 'Skin of the 90s!!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Litt family.

Aside D Green, Ken Harvey was the 'Skin of the 90s!!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 05:01 PM

Agreed but should have some early 90's consideration for Mark Rypien (Superbowl MVP afterall). Also Terry Allen was there offense for awhile there.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I include the '91 season as the end of the 80s teams. They are far from representing the actual 90s in which Gibbs 1.0 only coached 3 of those seasons.

Gibbs 1.0 - 3 seasons
Petibone - 1 season
Turner - 6 seasons

Using this, The Norv years were by far outnumbered each of the other coaching stints, which is really the judge oof eras.

I was thinking of Terry, but Davis was the Man from '97 - '02. Allen gave a good 2 1/2 hard seasons, though!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Terrible. :(

Thanks Jason.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 5, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Davis was definitely a stud. But man the 90's sukced after '91.

Posted by: skinswest | June 5, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Aside D Green, Ken Harvey was the 'Skin of the 90s!!

Posted by: 4th | June 5, 2007 05:01 PM

And Harvey would have no problem telling you that either. Saw him on yesterday's Wash Post Live rebroadcast - brutal.

Posted by: LH | June 5, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

So Springs wife/girlfriend had a baby? Congrats, Shawn!

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I really beleive that the redskins will go 10-6 AT LEAST this year because of how far the team has come and team really seems to gel well so far

Posted by: Richard | June 5, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"Portis said Tuesday that he'll be more judicious before offering an opinion that might come back to dog him."

Funny.

Posted by: charlie | June 5, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you are on fire today mate! I'm loving it!

On the punting talk, I've said a few times that the Skins should invest some time out here, the Aussies will slowly infiltrate the punting duties in the NFL. Darren Bennett, Ben Graham and Mat McBriar. The Eagles signed another, named Saverio Rocca, earlier this year. As Aussie Rules players hit their early 30's, they start to look to the States to pursue a punting career. I think we should be pro-active, and be a team who makes one of these finds, rather that a team who says "Damn, he would've been a great pick-up!"

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I don't think Springs wife has had the baby yet but they are expecting per Renaldo Wynn.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

For real!

Posted by: Stumped | June 5, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I know Jason said the Skins were happy with their DT stocks, and weren't really looking to sign anyone else, but the Cards released a few players today, one of them was DT Kedrick Clancy. Could be worth a look, I don't think he is a standout, but could be nice and reliable in the rotation if big Joe can't get over his injuries.

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

re: litt. that's so sad. so young. i maybe wrong but i think rember seeing her somewhere. good lady. our condolences to her family.

lisa, she could've been having braxton hix (sp) contractions (reason for his early out today)...

thanks jasono!

but jason, you have yet to say ANYTHING regarding the most important player this season, Jason Campbell and his progress?

Posted by: dealer | June 5, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers out to her family

Posted by: jm220 | June 5, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's official, AT LAST! In Week 1, the Redskins will be up against former Washington QB Trent Green. He's just been traded to the Dolphins for a 5th Round pick.

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

aweeee this is so sweet! http://www.allisonstokke.com/

and why is her article the most viewed article after a week? (above bush's pardon dilema(sp) and the day of highest presidential aide getting jail time, paris hilton's first day in jail)

Posted by: dealer | June 5, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

kost52--

How many Aussie rules players have become kickers in the NFL?

Posted by: KK | June 5, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Green or Culpeper. Doesn't really matter much which one plays at this point.. Neither of them can get out of his own way. I expect our D to have a good opening day.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I just thought about it. I have a slight preference for seeing Culpeper under center for the Fins, simply because he can be an interception machine when things aren't going well. No better way to boost the confidence of our secondary than to start out the season with 2 or 3 INTs.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

i'm trying. i really am. but i just can't get myself to talk about the season. i don't know how you guys do it.

justme, they're both bumms. this trade is making the skins look good for getting a 6th for ramsey.

Posted by: dealer | June 5, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Justme,

According to the NFLN, the Dolphins starting QB will definitely be Green. The Dolphins are planning to cut/trade Culpepper. Most likely cut him as no trade partners are available. JAX was mentioned as a possible landing spot for Culpepper due to his association with Mike Tice.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

i need a distraction. something to do. to distract me from thinking about the season that's 100 days away!!!!

Posted by: dealer | June 5, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

KK - Not Kickers, that's a very different skill set to what Aussie Rules players do. Punters on the other hand, Darren Bennett was an AFL player for about 6 seasons, then went to the Chargers and was selected to 2 Pro-Bowls. Ben Graham played in the AFL for 12 seasons, then went to the Jets, where he's been for the past two seasons, and is already a team captain. Mat McBriar for Dallas, didn't play at an AFL level, but is a Melbourne-born guy who has an Aussie Rules background, was selected to this years Pro-Bowl and had the highest average for the in the last 10 years I think? Saverio Rocca played in the AFL for 15 seasons, and was signed by the Eagles at the end of last season. I doubt he will play for them straight away, it normally takes a little while to become accustomed to the different shaped ball.

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Lisa. After I ran my mouth about never having a problem with my Comcast service, I had an outage (cable AND internet) tonight for about 3 hours, so I didn't see it myself.

Okay. Trent Green, huh? Well, post concussion Trent Green looked like Todd Collins when he got back into his own end zone in the preseason last year, so that might not be such a bad thing. I can live with that. :-)

I will feel a little bad for Trent if he gets pummeled a little bit. I think he's kinda cute, like in the way of your high school, varsity jacket wearing quarterback.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Justme, as I have probably mentioned before my cable and internet were out for the whole night last week. Really made me realize how lost I am without my TV (and internet) which is just pathetic I guess.

Trent Green is a stand up guy and I hope he does well - except for the first game. I actually feel kind of sorry for Culpepper.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I can see it now, early in the 1st quarter, week 1, both L2 and The Reaper have both already sacked Green, and from then on, he becomes a "deer in the headlights" QB.

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:08 PM

I would sooner give up Julius Jones than I would Mat McBriar. McBriar is our fourth best offensive player.

Posted by: SMACK | June 5, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine that if a team continually landed good international players, (yes, probably limited to footballers at this point, and by that I mean guys who actually put their foot to the ball) eventually they will start to be "charged" a compensatory draft pick. I could totally see that happening in today's NFL of parity/parody.

The NFL stifles creativity.

Posted by: SMACK | June 5, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

But at the same time the NFL is trying to expand the game internationally aren't they? Didn't the Skins have an exception last year to have a French linebacker in their squad? Maybe they'll look to encourage teams to look outside the borders for players, by granting an extra roster spot for internatinal players. It would help with the numbers in the international games. I know when the "World Bowl" came here in 2000, the Chargers had the vast majority of support, because Darren Bennett was playing for them. Imagine if later this year, the Giants turned up in London with a Pom on their roster, I'm sure it'd put a few more bums on seats!

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Careful, too many international players taking jobs away from Americans will get Lou Dobbs really angry. And you won't like him when he's angry.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

As far as Poms to recruit, this fellow would be a natural fit for Philly. No stranger to competing in an unfamiliar sport at the highest level. And he's probably available.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Haha

Actually, maybe you guys can answer something I've always wanted to know. Is there a reason there aren't more Canadians in the NFL? Are they just not good enough? Are there plenty and I'm just not aware of it? Or is there another reason?

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:23 PM
************************

I can almost see Green flinching while he frantically looks for someone who isn't there. I know the reality won't live up to my imagination, but it still has the potential to be pretty sweet.

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm sitting here trying to think of any Canadians in the league. I can't think of any other than Mike Vanderjagt, and he's not even on a team right now. Hmmmmm....

Posted by: JustMe | June 5, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

JustMe - Yeah that's what I thought. It surprises me because I thought there'd be a fair number of Canadians who grow up playing CFL, surely there would be a few players good enough to make an NFL roster!

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

One other thing mentioned on the NFLN tonight...which has absolutely no meaning but gives one hope...or FEAR.

Rich Eisen asked Jim Mora, Sr. which NFL team he thinks will be the "New Orleans Saints" (comeback team from a terrible previous season) of 2007-08...Mora replied "the Washington Redskins". Said we have a good coaching staff and a lot of talent.

Posted by: Lisa | June 5, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Just did some research and apparently our own Shaun Suisham is a Canadian! So is Rams Safety O.J. Atogwe, but I think they're they only 2 current players born in Canada.

Also, talking about the Giants having a Pom on their Roster, Lawrence Tynes was born is Scotland, that's not too far off!

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Have to step in for Captain Obvious here - the reason there aren't more Canadians in the NFL:

a) There aren't that many of them to start with (population is 1/10th the U.S.)

b) The good athletes in Canada are busy with hockey. With indoor rinks, the excellent athletes are playing hockey year-round.

But there are a few. Nate Burleson is Canadian. However, he barely counts - his dad played Canadian Football and after being born in Canada, Burleson moved state-side and hasn't been back since.

We better take it easy on Jasno tomorrow. The Red Sox just dropped their 5th out of the last 6. He might be on the cusp of a breakdown.

Posted by: mugamack | June 6, 2007 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mugamack | June 6, 2007 01:10 AM

Fortunately for Jasno, he is blogging his guts out.

In a soft wispery voice directed to Jasno's subconscious, "Forget the sox. Redskins. Redskins. Redskins!

Posted by: bangkokben | June 6, 2007 1:40 AM | Report abuse

muga, third time's a charm -- you shoulda gone for cups there! It was a slam dnuk!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2007 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Nate-

Pherhpas my eeybllas smiply rveeresd for a spilt scenod. Unduotbdely, I'm excietd eveyrone seems in ecxenellt, or at laest imrpvonig hlaeth and the Redksins may be the "New Oraelns Siatns" of 2008.

Posted by: mugamack | June 6, 2007 2:08 AM | Report abuse

For the James Thrash fans out there:

How he would be in the CIA if not for the Redskins, and how attending autopsies makes him lose his appetite.

Posted by: mugamack | June 6, 2007 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | June 5, 2007 10:57 PM

1) You can barely pry the hockey sticks out of their dead fingers.

2) They ask too many questions, eh?

: )

Posted by: The Crickets | June 6, 2007 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff for the analytical types.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 6, 2007 5:30 AM | Report abuse

I have always like Thrash, he is one of those long time unsung hero's of the skins. If I had to create a Skins Blue Collar ring of fame of my own he would be in it.

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 6, 2007 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Jeff Garcia from the north? Or did he just play there?

Posted by: Zebra | June 6, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I always assumed Mike Sellers was Canadian, but according to the intergoogles, he was born in Germany. Its just that he broke through to the NFL after a stellar career in the CFL.

Last preseason, there was plenty of love for Jessie Lumsden, a canuck from Ontario, but the NFL doesn't have room for white tailbacks. I remember during the last offseason that Skins quoted in the weight room said Lumsden was the fastest guy on the squad. Alas, he's returned to Canadia. As it turns out, he could have been on the cups of a great NFL career (and the Skins could have foregone the Duckett fiasco) if he had made the roster.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

One though on Green playing against the Skins. Have you ever considered that he knows Al Saunders' offense better than Jason Campbell EVER will? He'll sit next to the Fins D coordinator calling the plays out for them.

This could be an interception-fest. :-) That said, I do have a bad feeling for his personal safety in this game.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Damn Redcoats. Always trying to screw up our fun

Posted by: Paul Revere | June 6, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I do have a bad feeling for his personal safety in this game

If Double G (smack to the back of his damn head) sends the Reaper. His personal safety may be in trouble. lol

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I suppose he would have been too expensive, but it surprised me a little that the Skins didn;t show any interest in picking Green up as their experienced backup for Campbell. Collins is obviously only going to make it onto the field in the direst of circumstances (I think maybe even Randle El makes it out there first), Brunell is just 'done', and at least Green knows the legendary 700-page playbook by heart.

Take away last season post-knockout and the guy would have been an incredible leader of the Redskins offense. Imagine a fit green behind center for you guys. Oh that's right, he was behind center for you but you dumped him! :-)

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts and Prayers for her family, friends, and coworkers.

Are we really talking about the Canadian Invasion of the NFL? Send in John Candy -- true cornerback material!

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 6, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

But Green wants to start. That position is taken.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 6, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat, I have to be thinking that Saunders has changed SOMETHING in the 700 pages. Still, if Green is going to sing, it will be based on game film of preseason stuff the week before, not during the game. Its not a like a starting QB doesn't have stuff to keep him busy when the D is on the field.

The problem is the concussion one. Green's was really bad. He was in the hospital for more than a few days. In the news reports afterwards, they said it took him many WEEKS to regain his balance, and that bright lights and loud noises gave him headaches. He's one bell ring away from a retirement of vegetation. From my soapbox, I think he is really, really stupid to think about getting back on the field as a starter. I know he gets sick money, but he has a family. Depending on the hits he takes, its possible that he may not even recognize his family in a few years. Screw the high school QB jacket -- he has some responsibilities now.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I know cload, I'm just funnin' with you. How did the walk go at the weekend?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you sween. Much as it's exciting to think of 'pre-hit' Green out there for Miami, I'm worried that he will get targeted even more and could get hurt real bad.

I'd put this down to pride that he doesn't want last years' playoff game to be the epitaph of his career. I hope he's right and that he can stay intact, because if he does, he's going to be great to watch.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Great, thanks for asking and thank you (as personally as we can get over the interwebs) for your donation. We got a little wet, but we had a lot of friends and relatives with us. Some of the kids were amazing -- one 6/7/8 year old got up in front of 2000 people and gave a 2-3 minute thank you speech that should serve as the model for showing people that public speaking is shouldn't scare you to death.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 6, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear it went well Cload. And I'm happy that I could at least support you guys a little. Are you going to go to the Miami game? If yes, maybe we can figure out how to meet up somewhere and share a beer? Same goes for any of the RI regulars.

Suffice to say as well that even if we stink the place up in that game I will show up here afterwards and take my dings like a man. Conversely, the crowing will be deafening should we somehow find a way to win.

"And it's Green to Chambers and Taylor misses the tackle again. Touchdown Miami!"

Oh well, I can dream. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

dcsweenn I co-sign your statement

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Trent Green can make the Dolphins look really good - or really bad. Look at Culpepper - he was a darn good QB until he got hurt but never fully recovered so the Dolphins made a mistake in signing him. Now they are bringing in another QB who was injured (although in a much different way).

Posted by: Lisa | June 6, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The BoSox lost last night because the bats are cold at the moment. It's a shame, because Dice-K pitched a decent game. No worries. It was bound to happen. It's a long season and they will get back on track.

It's not 1978.

Posted by: DirtDog | June 6, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

In defense of the putrid Miami Dolphins, I drafted both Culpepper and Chambers in the top 5 rounds of fantasy last year. Suffice it to say I didn't win any...uh, my league.

Posted by: SMACK | June 6, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Definetely agree Thrash is one of the backbone and blue-collar guys on our team. I'd say Sellers and Salavae are as well, but it sounds like Big Joe's on his way out...

Posted by: TW | June 6, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with you Lisa. We should have just taken the chance on Brees' shoulder rather than Culpepper's knee.

My worry is that Green's greatest success has come with a stud running back (Holmes, Johnson) and we don't have one - not yet at least. That means that we will get blitzed to heck every game and Trent can't dodge 'em all. I'll just hope that the receivers can get open often enough to make us competitive.

Any way both teams have a challenge at QB. We're one injury away from Cleo Lemon and you're one away from Mark Brunell. Which team would you rather be?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

SMACK wow, even I didn't do that! To my shame I had McNabb and TO.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat--

Why do you say that "Green knows Saunders offense better than Campbell ever will?"

Saunders knows Saunders offense better than either Green or Campbell ever will, and he's sitting on the Redskins sideline.

Posted by: KK | June 6, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Although most of my fellow bloggers will disagree with me, I'm ok with Brunell as backup. He knows the system, has worked with the receivers and can hand the ball off to Portis or Betts. Also, Bramlet may get a chance to step up and show us something.

That being said, Please God, keep Jason Campbell healthy!

Posted by: Lisa | June 6, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Lisa you just lost one blog crush point with that Brunell statement. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

KK, I just mean that Green will presumably spend a lot of time before the game talking with the Miami D coordinators about what sort of plays Saunders is likely to run at given points in the game.

I'm sure that Saunders will change elements of his meisterwerk to fit in with how coach Joe wants to run Skins football, but the reason that he was brought to Washington was to run that playbook so I don't see that it will change that much, and Green ought to know it backwards and that has to be a help to Miami.

Campbell is really just getting his first solid time in with it and Saunders now. No bad reflection on Campbell at all, just a thought.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat--

Green's a good QB and always has been. The 'Skins would have been better off with him than they have been without him.

But Jason Campbell has much more upside potential than Green had at any point in his career. He may not realize that potential, but if he does he will understand Saunders' system and, in fact, Saunders' system will evolve as it never could have with Trent Green.

Posted by: KK | June 6, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

KK, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. When I made that statement it wasn't to say anything bad about Campbell, it was to illustrate that I think there is a really good chance in the coming game that Miami's D will know what's coming at them a lot of the time because of Green's presence on the team.

Campbell has a lot of potential - as yet unfulfilled, and I hope that stays so for at least one more regular season game. Suffice it to say though I'd rather he was behind center for us even over Green.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Is it better to play Trent the 1st game of the year or Daunte?

I think Trent, def.

Posted by: 4th | June 6, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Why so 4th?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I think so because he will still be trying to get a 'feel' for his offensive teammates. He may have worked with Cam, but the rest of the offense hasn't. The trust factor may not be there just yet. So they will be relying on the Defense to keep them close early in the season (sound familair?).

Speaking of Defense, since Porter plead guilty, it is likely he will be suspended for one or two games. So we most likely will not see their biggest defensive asciusition.

Posted by: 4th | June 6, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

From what I hear, Daunte will be cut so Green is the man.

Posted by: Lisa | June 6, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Sad that it ended that way for Daunte. It's odd but the time of the rocket arm guys (Culpepper, Leftwich, even Favre) seems to be passing.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat-what about Russel? I know he's not proven anything yet, but the guy threw the ball 64 yards on a rope...FROM HIS KNEES. Dude's a man...

Posted by: PSF | June 6, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

NSF, Russell does look like he could be phenomenal, but will he perform like that with NFL defenses crawling all over him? Maybe, maybe not. My money says probably not.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Duante isn't worth at least a sixth... I mean, that makes the Ramsey trade to NYJ an absolute steal!

I don't see how you can argue with Lisa re: Brunell. The fact of the matter is that someone with a lot more knowledge than you and I thought he was still the best option even when hurt in the middle of last year. I know the popular opinion is that it has something to do with religion or saving Gibbs' life, but that's not the type of leader that Gibbs is. He thought -- and Campbell's numbers showed in the end -- that Scott gave the team the best chance to win.
I think that Campbell showed enough upside, and his dedication in the offseason validates the decision, that as long as he's able to limp out there onto the field he doesn't have to worry about Brunell replacing him... which in the end is all I'm saying was the case last year -- just with the shoe on the other foot.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Cload, who is Scott? I think the Dolphins won't get anything for Culpepper because everyone knows they will just let him go in the end no matter, so why bother unless you desperately needed him, and I don't really see any teams in that position. Except maybe Minnesota and he can't go back there.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

For Green to play or even have a roster spot after his very serious concussion is a blight on the NFL. Read Aikman's comments in todays "Post."
While football related concussions are finally getting some of the notice they should be getting, they're like a f*rt in church: You can't ignore it but nobody wants to acknowledge it. Sadly, it appears that concussions are a fact of life given today's equipment.
There is no way that a lifetime of this kind of disability can be justified. While it's true that the players are men who should be able to make their own decisions, the deeper truth is that they are uber-competitive in a sport that places ultimate value on toughness. Many is the time that these manimals don't know themselves that they're injured. And when they do, they often deny it to themselves and those around them. I cite Brunell's labrum surgery and the strong likelihood that his play last year, just like his first year as a 'skin, was hampered by his ailing body. I recall an interview with Ronnie Lott in a mid-'90s issue of SI where he stated that a good hit left him having snotted himself and blacking out: concussed.
One of the jobs that should be expected of the coaching and training staffs is the recognition and the benching of concussion injured players. It's the hardest thing for a coach to do, to sit a valued player in a game. The fact is, though, that these are men who are often treated as if they were fighting animals, (No, I don't want to go there.)which are disposable and healed only so they can continue with the fight at hand.
Football is entertainment not a blood sport. The players should be managed as such.

Posted by: Neil in Durango | June 6, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with you Neil, although even the NFL seems to pale in comparison with hockey. How many concussions did Lindros have?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hockey's a reflection on Canadian culture. Those people are just plain tough. It starts in Hockey. In Canadia, when a kid hits the ice, he's just lifted up and pushed in the direction of play without comment or examination.

Did anyone ever see the "tough" rating of various sports athletes? Ice hockey was #1, followed by USA football, then futbol. Baseball was near the bottom but above tennis and golf.

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Makes sense in a crazy sort of way I suppose. I'm surprised that soccer players came that high up - they certainly have no business being above rugby players!

I would have lawn bowls and curling right above golf as well. :-)

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Lawn darts, though, that's a man's sport.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

LMGO Nate. How about quoits? Anybody know what that game actually is?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

How soon we forget that horseshoes is a real man's sport! Look at them there with the roofs they have built over their valuables, shoe in one hand while carefully assuring that they spill not one drop of the elixir they hold in the other.

I may be a little off on the list vis a vis rugger. But have you ever watched soccer played at a high level? It is one high contact sport, truly. And like rugby with no pads. BTW, soccer may also be a high concussion sport according to studies by the neurology industry. It's not just from heading the ball, though coaches are encouraged to minimize the act in Jrs. In high level games, when those guys go up for a ball, often they hit each other in the head with their own head. **Ouch!**

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It is one high contact sport,

Reaching under the desk and pulling out the hammer. Neil, smack to the back of your head. Please! Soccer is not a high contact sport. Giving yourself a concussion by hitting a ball and not a person doesn't count for sht.

Posted by: jm220 | June 6, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I played soccer to a reasonable standard back in Europe and you are right, it's both aggressive and high-contact (at least it was until they started trying to eliminate the tackle as part of the game) but rugby is in another dimension.

Pads have only entered rugby in recent years, to the detriment of the game somewhat, as people hit each other harder than ever. Try to find a highlight reel of Wales vs. Western Samoa in the 1991 rugby world cup; the Samoans hit the Welsh so hard, so often that it was touch and go whether the Welsh team would finish the game.

The Islanders love to play that way, just crashing guys in the tackle in a way that most NFL players could only dream of doing. Shame they aren't always so good with ball in hand.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, here's a look back at that 1991 Cup, but it's light on the game footage.

Great shot of the haka dance right at the beginning, though. Doing that in the faces of their opponents... wow.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

ummmm hello! BOXING!!! and that ultimate martial arts thingie...

Posted by: dealer | June 6, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Nate, your tone about lawn darts as a sport suggests sarcasm. Darts, billiards, and cards (poker, blackjack) represent the near sum total of my current level of participation in "sports." But for the occasional "jumping" to conclusions, "jogging" my memory, "running" on at the mouth, and "leaps" of faith, I don't get much exercise.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

In the football spirit, you left out "blocking" metaphors, "passing" gas, and "tackling" challenges. And, one day in the distant future, "kicking" the bucket.

Posted by: KK | June 6, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Any chance of CB Jerametrious Butler resurfacing In DC? The 'Skins signed him to a (then) big restricted free agent offer sheet in '04, but the Rams matched. However, they have now cut him.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 6, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

KK, I hear ya, but at this time of year (OTAs), there isn't supposed to be more than incidental contact.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

jm, you don't know squat if you think that soccer is NOT a high contact sport. My head feels fine, your sissy hammer or no.

But how can anybody justify "Texas Hold 'em" as a sport??? (ESPN, SI, etc.) DCsween, like you I am limited to golf, fishing, and the like for sport, but I think of them as games not sports. They just seem to lack the physicallity (is that a word?) of what I think of as true sport. BTW, bicycle racing is another of the top "tough guy" sports. Believe it.

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

New post (about Bramlett and Springs).

Neil, I joshing about my 'sports'. In the past, however, I did wrestle (OK, in high school). As for overall athletes, of course my bias is that wrestlers are the total package. The only other athlete requiring as much overall strength and body awareness would be a male gymnast. I used to mock, but the ones who are good are really amazing athletes.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget stingray wrangling.

Posted by: Steve Irwin | June 6, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Neil, horseshoes IS a real sport -- if you leave them on the horse.

Posted by: dcsween | June 6, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

It would be more accurate but not quite as sexy if they billed themselves as the 'Worldwide Leader in Sports, Games, and Other Competitive Activities'

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

jm, you don't know squat

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 01:21 PM

oh, jm knows squat. about 450 lbs x 12 reps worth of squat.

Posted by: jm's squat machine | June 6, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

dcsween, me too! I rasseled in hs, too. Like you, I consider the male gymanst to be one of the more finely conditioned athletes we can see.

Where do we put NFL football as regards sport? Does sport involve exchange of money, the old pro vs amateur argument? Is it sport when the athletes vie with one an other in short bursts and then rest while we watch the replay to see the subtleties we missed in the original play? Is something sport becasue someone says it is, like poker or 'shoes (which I enjoy)? Is darts a sport? Are we so chauvinistic that only sports that we celebrate in the USA count as sports? Is anybody bored by this post? Does it make any difference? What time is it?

Posted by: Neil | June 6, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

If it hadn't been for Brunell, Skins wouldn't have gotten Ramsey off its hands.

Posted by: grinning | June 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse