Sorry About Web Chat/Pro Bowl Vote

There is some sort of technical glitch and I can not get int he chat room and no one over at washingtonpost.com offered any help, so I'm sorry for that.
As always email me any questions - lacanforaj@washpost.com - and I will answer them as soon as I can.

Also I received a bunch of emails about Sean Taylor and the Pro Bowl. He is still the leadign vote getter at free safety and you will able to vote for him all the way through the process, at least that's what the league told me when I asked.

I plan on getting to FedEx Field pretty early tonight and will post stuff from out there as soon as I get a chance.

Sorry again about the chat/
Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 6, 2007; 1:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guest Blog - AEE
Next: The Chat Resumes....

Comments

Go 'Skins!

Looking for a big 'W' tonight!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | December 6, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I just hope the 'Skins win because I can't take 10 days of post-loss RI.

Posted by: NCICURN | December 6, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL, NCICURN, I don't think I could handle that either.....

J-la, no worries, given all the work that you've put in lately, you deserve a small break. Go home and work out that Johan Santana trade will ya.....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 6, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

from previous blag post...

Well said... Kevin.
I personally will not have an opionion on Joe until the season is done. Last week was not your normal week in the NFL, therefore I will give him the pass there who knows what was going on in his mind. I think we should all be a bit more patient there... but I understand how it's so easy to point the finger again after this game when it has just been more of the same crap this year...

I personally choose too step back swallow my pride and fire for this team to succeed and give him and the players the benefit of the doubt against Buffalo.

He may very well be learning from some of his mistaked this year for the better next year. Like the saying goes, "a dog is never to old to learn new tricks"... If that is not the case and he doesn't get and handle on game decisions and this teams real needs( i.e. -referring to Jason's article about not practicing the gametime situation enough) then thank him for everything he's done for this frachise because he will always be a great HOF coach, but his time may be up here in Gibbs 2.0, but because things just aren't working out.

Posted by: EinVB | December 6, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

JLaC- If you're planning on getting there early, you should leave in about, oh, 5 minutes ago! You don't want to imagine how bad the beltway will be in a few hours...

Posted by: 4-12 | December 6, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

first play from scrimmage: playaction bomb to santana. send da bears a message early.

Posted by: psps23 | December 6, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I can see Joe kicking it to Hester already! Hope this doesn't turn into a disaster!!!!!

Posted by: redryan400 | December 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So what do we say about Hester?

To kick to him or not to kick to him, what would you do?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 6, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

No way we kick to Hester

Posted by: jm220 | December 6, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Kicking to Hester makes no sense. Every punt should be out of bounds, every kickoff should be drilled over the gound. Maybe a onsides kick or two.

Posted by: mugamack | December 6, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I am worried about Suisham on kickoffs as he has been really horrible the last month or so. I think Sunday he was kicking short due to McGee for Buffalo. Special teams could be the deciding factor. Field position will be important considering the weather yesterday. JLC, do they cover the field when it's not in use and take the tarp off on gameday?

Posted by: straub21 | December 6, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I just hope the 'Skins win because I can't take 10 days of post-loss RI.

Posted by: NCICURN | December 6, 2007 01:32 PM

By day 9 people will be asking not only for the head of gibbs but for his family as well.

Posted by: sams3 | December 6, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Czaban asked Mike Sellers earlier this week if he would be on punt or kickoff coverage because of Hester and he said the coaches told him that was not going to happen. I would really like to see Sellers coming full speed, like he did on that catch against Detroit when he ran over Kenoy Kennedy, and put Hester into the ground. I think that would be awesome!!!

Posted by: straub21 | December 6, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

gibbs to suisham:

"don't worry about hester, just don't kick it to willie gault."

Posted by: dwdjmu | December 6, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

its not like suisham can kick it deep anyway. might as well keep it on the ground if you can. and the way frosty's been line-driving his punts lately, he'd better put them out of bounds or we're in barney.

Posted by: psps23 | December 6, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Has Gibby already declared Grossman one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game?

Let's put it this way. I would rather listen to Bryant Gumbel call 5,000 consecutive hours of football (while sipping on coffee out of his HBO mug) than watch Gibby walk the sidelines for one more second.

Posted by: RickyBobby | December 6, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

maybe hester will be the one to wake gibbs up. with him back there returning punts, there's no way gibbs can try to play the field position game. go for the throat 2.0!

Posted by: psps23 | December 6, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine that Danny Smith would kick to Hester. I mean, it just makes no sense to do that.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 6, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Devin Hester is Supersmart and he fights his guts out. When the Skins lose, at least they will have all been in it together.

Posted by: davidvikki97 | December 6, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

buges to o-line:

"we gotta hold of richard dent."

(cripes!)

Posted by: dwdjmu | December 6, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I remember when RickyBobby and his old pal Pub Golf would say things that were witty and clever. I think RB was into heavy women at the time. Good stuff.

Now all I get from RB are complaints about Joe Gibbs. Hmmm... maybe you need to get back to the heavies, Ricky. Shake and Bake!

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 6, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

A little drastic

Posted by: sams3 | December 6, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 6, 2007 02:33 PM
LMAO!!!!

Posted by: jm220 | December 6, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

There is no way Hester will field a kick off, unless of coarse he sets up at midfield. That is about Swiss Ham's Limit.

I really have never seen anything like what passes for a kick off. Rock has to fight his cheeks off to get the 30, mean time if swissy even makes it to the 30 its considered a bomb.

Posted by: sams3 | December 6, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Shake and bake. Shake and bake. LMAO

Posted by: jm220 | December 6, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The Willie Gault comment was awesome. Well played, sir.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Raleigh Joe....Hysterical!

F Bryant Gumble!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 6, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

From Wikipedia:

"On June 24, 2006, Willie Gault set a world record of 10.72 seconds in the master's 100 meters, a division for athletes aged 45 to 49."

Sounds like that advice would still be right if he was playing tonight! Maybe the Skins have an open roster spot for a 'kick return mentor'?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 6, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, there's no room on the roster, but certainly there's room on the coaching staff.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 6, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry is a heavy woman with mustache

Posted by: jm220 | December 6, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Bryant Gumbel is the worst. Outside of his irritating voice, he kept saying things like how great Marion Barber was for the Packers and it appears they picked up the first down when they are 15 yards further than the yellow stripe across the screen.

Gotta make sure to get the Fridge, Dan Hampton and Singletary blocked tonight in the run game.

Posted by: cdubb | December 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

RB, these lyrics r for you (unfortunately, can't find a song link). Take it away David and Nigel...

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I met her on Monday, twas my lucky bun day
You know what I mean
I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day
You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights
Big game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 6, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

look for santana to beat dave duerson on the man-to-man.

i like that matchup.

Posted by: dwdjmu | December 6, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

JM220 only dates women that he can't bench press their weight....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 6, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

CL only dates women with hair on their back

Posted by: jm220 | December 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The way Gibbs has been coaching, I like Hester for 2 td's on kickoffs, and 1 punt return for a td! That will make for some great conversation tomorrow!

Posted by: redryan400 | December 6, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Behind Enemy Lines: Part II

John Crist/John Keim
BearReport.com Dec 5, 2007

Our Scout.com experts, John Crist of Bear Report and John Keim of Warpath, break down Thursday's game between the Bears and Redskins at FedEd Field in Washington D.C. Let's continue this two-part series with five questions from Mr. Keim to Mr. Crist.

John Keim: Why are the Bears struggling so much after last year's run to Super Bowl XLI?

John Crist: Where do you want me to start? Defensive injuries, offensive ineptitude, questionable coaching, bad bounces, tougher schedule ... the list goes on and on. Aside from the tight end combination of veteran Desmond Clark and rookie Greg Olsen, there isn't one position offensively or defensively that's playing as well is it did a year ago. And if not for the miracle that is Devin Hester and a last-minute touchdown pass from Brian Griese to Muhsin Muhammad at Philadelphia, the defending NFC champions could very well be a 3-9 football team right now. The fall from grace has been incredible to watch from the press box.

The margin from pretty good to pretty bad in the NFL is razor thin, and I believe a lot of players in the Chicago locker room are finally starting to realize just how special last season was.

JK: Has Rex Grossman been any better since coming back to the lineup? Why has he struggled so much at times, and do players still believe in him?

QB Rex Grossman
Otto Greule Jr./Getty Images
JC: It's very easy to look at the raw numbers and see that Grossman has improved his play greatly since being re-inserted into the starting lineup, but let's look a little deeper. Grossman tends to struggle the most when he sees pressure directly up the middle because he hasn't learned how to flush right or left, so he either gets sacked for a big loss or makes a poor decision with the football. And while he's still being sacked all too often - the Giants got him six times this past Sunday - he appears to finally understand that a sack isn't the worst thing in the world and isn't simply chucking the ball downfield into coverage to save his hide.

Defensive end Alex Brown told me in the locker room not too long ago that he still thinks Grossman has that "it" factor and believes he can be a difference-maker under center in this league, and he's not alone up at Halas Hall.

JK: What's happened to the defense this year? Is it just injury related - is Tommie Harris his old self? - or are there other reasons for the downfall?

JC: The Bears completely shut down LaDainian Tomlinson and the Chargers for three quarters in Week 1, but then Pro-Bowl safety Mike Brown was lost for the year with a ruptured ACL and things just haven't been the same. This was supposed to be the best defense in the league with all the healthy returns and offseason additions, yet here we are at the three-quarter post of the season and this unit is 27th against the run, 25th against the pass, and an inexplicable 28th overall. While Adewale Ogunleye has returned to form as a dominating defensive end and Lance Briggs replaced Brian Urlacher as the best linebacker in town, nobody else has played up to expectations - freshman defensive coordinator Bob Babich hasn't been overly imaginative with this Cover-2 scheme either.

Harris has been playing on a sprained knee since late September and is yet to run through a full week of practice all year, which has turned him primarily into a pass-rushing specialist lately.

JK: Adam Archuleta was not exactly a popular player among Redskins fans. He was just benched in Chicago. What's not working for him there?

S Adam Archuleta
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
JC: This is often what happens when deserving head coaches get contract extensions and, inevitably, ask for more say in personnel matters. Lovie Smith was convinced that he could resurrect Archuleta's career, putting him back in his Cover-2 system that made the former first-round pick such a success with the Rams. Smith was convinced that the Redskins were simply using Archuleta the wrong way and that he couldn't have been as bad as he was a year ago in our nation's capital, but he hasn't been near the tackler his reputation suggested and doesn't have a chance in coverage down the field.

Frankly, Archuleta's benching last week in favor of Brandon McGowan was long overdue and possibly a sign that his tenure as a starting-caliber safety in this league is over.

JK: Are you still amazed by what Devin Hester does? What makes him so special?

JC: I've stopped trying to describe his paranormal exploits in the return game because he's simply beyond words at this point. An All-Pro return specialist might score two touchdowns in a given season, yet Hester has found paydirt a video game-like 11 times off punts and kickoffs in just 28 career games. It's ludicrous to call anyone the all-time greatest in anything after only two years on the job, but there isn't a player in the NFL who bats an eyelash when he is referred to as the best return man in league history.

Believe it or not, special teams coach Dave Toub actually teaches his players not to block the tackler in front of them if Hester is within 10 yards. They're instructed to go block somebody else on the second level because it's assumed he will make that first man miss anyway.

To go back and ready Part I of Behind Enemy Lines, where Mr. Keim answered five questions from Mr. Crist, Click Here.

John Crist is the Publisher of Bear Report. John Keim is the Editor of Warpath.

Story URL: http://chi.scout.com/2/708760.html

4thFloor

Posted by: RightWay | December 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry is a heavy woman with mustache

Posted by: sams3 | December 6, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep.

Jasno's chat will restart at 3.30pm...

Posted by: Redcoat | December 6, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Worst play by play announcer - Bryant Gumbel or Larry Michael?

Posted by: gdennie | December 6, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

In response to the last thread, and the last post on it by Barno.

You saying that the execution is the reason our plays dont work proves you know NOTHING about football, scouting, tendencies etc... Gibbs helps design the game plan from Saunders play book, but in the 2nd half, after THROWING all over the Bills, do you think Al was the one saying 'lets pound it out'. Our run game is predictable.

Someone else wrote out a long list of issues with the team, having a ranking for the 'drop-off' to the next player. There in lies the problem. No depth, which gibbs has a hand in as well.

We are a little above avg for injuries or those on IR. So that is obviously not a 1-1 coorelation.

We could be much better and much worse despite all of our issues, injuries, stale play calling etc...

Someone else said it best, you take Gibbs record but take away his name, and you have one fired head coach.

Living in the past is for those who cant deal with the future. Gibbs is not the caoch he was, this team is not like the teams he had, this league is not the league he left.

However, I do believe he was a good hire b/c he has gotten our team on the right track. You see how our players act, funeral, media, whatever, the did not act like that when marty was here, or spurrier or Norv.

We have rid ourselves of the bad apples who do not play for the team, and we can thank our HOF coach for that.

Sadly, now is the time to get someone else, young, fresh ... to finish what gibbs has established.

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 6, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse