Source: Fabini Is Staying

From Jason Reid:

Veteran offensive lineman Jason Fabini plans to re-sign with Washington, a league source said today, providing depth for the offensive line with right guard Randy Thomas still recovering from triceps surgery. Contract terms were not immediately available.

Fabini filled in well while playing guard for the first time in his career last season, so the Redskins hoped he would return to the team next season. Fabini, a tackle for the first nine years of his 10-year career, was thrust into the starting lineup when Thomas tore his triceps in Week 2 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He got off to a rough start (Fabini had consecutive false-start penalties on a key drive late in the first half) in relief of Thomas, but emerged as a key contributor of a makeshift offensive line that helped the Redskins win their last four games in the regular season and earn a playoff berth. Although not as athletic as Thomas, Fabini performed consistently while starting 13 games at right guard, line coach Joe Bugel said during the season. Fabini, who signed with the Redskins after playing for the Dallas Cowboys in the 2006 season, began his NFL career with the New York Jets under former coach Bill Pacells.

Fabini signed with Dallas in part because Parcells was there. With Parcells now the head of football operations for the Miami Dolphins, Fabini was among the free agents the Dolphins considered signing.

Fabini would be the fourth Redskins free agent to re-sign with the team. Backup quarterback Todd Collins, return specialist Rock Cartwright and punter Derrick Frost also have accepted new deals. The Redskins are awaiting a decision from wide receiver Reche Caldwell, who also has been offered a contract. Washington has not signed any free agents from other teams.

Also:

The Redskins made it official today, announcing the hiring of Zack Bolno, who formerly worked for the Washington Wizards, as their new executive director of communications. Bolno replaces Chris Helein, former vice president of public relations, as the Redskins' top media relations official. Helein was let go in February.

For the last four seasons, Bolno was the Wizards' director of public relations. Bolno will report to Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  March 24, 2008; 4:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: News and notes
Next: Evaluating Anthony Mix (With Fabini Update)

Comments

Welcome back, JFab.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | March 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Cool... a little better news than us re signing our mediocre, at best, punter.

Posted by: cwprice | March 24, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

did thomas have a 2nd surgery on his triceps? or is he still recovering from from the initial surgery?

Posted by: psps23 | March 24, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought Caldwell already signed with the Rams.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 24, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

SO GLAD we got the PR dude hired.

NOW they can start feeding us news again.

Whew!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Good one! LMGO.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the search of the PR Director???

Well, I guess I'll be the one to end the story that the WashPo Reporters started:

The new PR Director of the Washington Redskins will be Zack Bono, PR Director of the Washington Wizards........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2008 04:39 PM

This Blog Post:

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor | March 24, 2008; 4:48 PM ET

Somebody hire me.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

That was like a magic trick, 4th. How'd you do it?

Also, who are the Skins drafting?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Just like everyone else Nate. I have 'sources'.

Unfortunetly, I am not well connected, yet. But, well see what the future holds...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If only he was as prescient with his NCAA tourney picks... Boo-Yah!!

Sorry 4th, couldn't resist.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 24, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Haven't had time to check my brackets. Went with my alma mater all the way. Corrnell is still in it, right?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Z,
Cornell had a first round exit with a loss to Stanford.

What's the name of your team?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Damn, there went my bracket

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, they're all in shambles.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

++++ Damn, there went my bracket

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2008 06:12 PM++++

YOUR Bracket? Mine went to H-E Double Hockley Sticks with the Zack Bolno shocker. Who saw THAT Cinderella advancing? Certainly not me.

Posted by: corkczar | March 24, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Fabini AND Frost AND Collins AND Cartwright?

Somebody pinch me....

Posted by: corkczar | March 24, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Cork ... you really captured the essence of it

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

So is Caldwell the only one still out there?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, Chad Johnson will not be leaving the Bengals(Nate, I'm sure you will be happy to hear this).

Marvin Lewis was interviewed on NFL Total Access and he basically said Chad will play for the Bengals...or not play at all. If Chad refuses to show up for OTAs, training camp, the NFL season, they will play on without him but he will not be traded or released.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 24, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

So chad Johnsons pulling a TO?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Also on NFL Total Access....the analysts are doing an NFL version of the NCAA Tournament....they have devised a "Sweet 16" list of the 16 best teams in the NFL. Coming in at #16 is our beloved Redskins!

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 24, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hail OBR!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Fabini's sticking around?!!

OH THANK GOD!!!

Posted by: dwdjmu | March 24, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Does the Fabini signing mean Todd Wade is done here?

Posted by: csh2000 | March 24, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

My take

I will do a story on the PR guy tommorow afternoon

Posted by: sportsclass1000 | March 24, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

corky at 6:23pm, that was perfect.

csh2000, isn't The Todd Wade under contract? I think he's our top backup tackle, isn't he? With Heyer in the wings. And The Great Fabini is our top backup guard, I think. Though I guess under the tutelage of the redoubtable Joseph Aloysius Bugel, any of those dudes can play at any spot.

(And then there's Lorenzo Alexander, who can do spot duty at any position on the field. That kid does it all.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, thanks for the update, such as it was, on Chad Johnson.

I don't know what it is about that guy, maybe I have a bias against flashy wide receivers in general. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up on our roster as the lone plash of our offseason... given that Zorn, Stump and the #21 pick do not amount to a plash.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Sarcastic golf claps for UVa, "advancing" in the CBI, the only tournament where winning makes you look like more of a loser. Ugh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what is this "CBI"? The first time I heard it was during the recent airing of "Two Yentas", aka TonyK and Cyn City.

Posted by: daggar | March 24, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

What the hell? Is J la confora in the sh%t house or what? I guess since Byner left he is up the creek, with no info. Oh well I guess its noe REDSKINS INSIDER with Jason Reid.

Posted by: allpropc | March 24, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Re:
Sarcastic golf claps - When I read this, I'm hearing half-hearted applause from one of the first computer golf games (and one of the only golf games I've ever been hooked on).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 24, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Awfully quiet around here. Here's some comments to spice things up, not from me, but from another poster, Sports_Guru, an avid Redskins fan with some choice observations. Sports_Guru doesn't post on RI, because he's afraid of you blog bullies. Here's what the Guru has to say:

Enough bologne...LETS TALK BURGUNDY AND GOLD BABY!

The Redskins...

I am disgusted...plain and simple.

First, Gregg Williams is stabbed in the back. He could have gone elsewhere to be a head coach two years ago, but was assured the head coach position here following a Gibbs departure. HE WAS LIED TO!

Then, promoting the biggest no talent in the history of football personnel men to be your head football guy.

Then, the circus to hire a new head coach.

Then, hiring a neophyte head coach.

Then, totally sitting back while good players of all price and skill level are snatched up by other teams, when you are in desperate need of filling holes and creating depth.

Then, acting as if Hackett is the second coming of Jerry Rice!

Are you FREAKING kidding me?

Is the Danny looking for the NFL equivalent of a tax write off? Are we secretly trying to go 0-16 to get someone on the Danny's wish list in next year's draft.

At this point, we need to take the Caps approach from a couple of years ago...

Step 1. Trade all high priced older players for draft picks.

Step 2. Package those draft picks together to get higher draft picks.

Step 3. Draft well.

My list for potential trade bait is as follows:

1. Clinton Portis
2. Jason Campbell
3. Shawn Springs
4. Marcus Washington
5. Santana Moss

All of these, but Jason Campbell are on the down slide of their career. As for Jason, he will never develop to be an NFL caliber quarterback.

If we house clean in this way, it clears cap room for future free agents, and allows us to get some hungry, young blood in here.

If we don't bite the bullet now, we'll be eating that bullet next season.

Posted by: podspeak | March 24, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I don't particularly agree with your plan, but even if I did, there are a couple of little problems, like accelerated cap hit, that make trades very difficult for the skins.
That's assuming you could find a partner who would be willing to trade picks for players. There's only one team that has a recent history of throwing away draft picks to get players they want... and we can't trade with them.
I draw your attention to the lengthy stuggle between our friend Redcoat's Fins and the Chiefs last year -- whether Trent Green was worth a 5th or a 5th round choice. I mean, c'mon, a second day pick for a starting QB? What are you expecting for Portis, or Campbell?

Posted by: daggar | March 25, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Hey there, podspeak.

A lot of those concepts of Guru's have been mulled over at great length up here, and yes, some of them did elicit a response that could be taken for bullying. It's a weakness of the blog... I think we all agree with the frustration behind Guru's comments, to some extent. But we have hashed and rehashed so many of these ideas in the past few months, that's why I think the reaction from a lot of people seems to harsh.

Look, you can't cut everybody (I think Joe Gibbs said that). And you certainly can't trade everybody. You can make a handful of moves each offseason -- additions, subtractons, extensions -- and hope that more of them pan out than don't.

The Ship of Zorn has sailed. I was as nonplussed by his hire as anybody, and I really, really wanted Grilliams to be coach, but it turned out that my opinion wasn't considered. So it's Zorn.

Well, now we can focus on the roster. Hmm... not too many changes to focus on. How about the draft? Too many unknowns. Hmm...

Okay, we're fans. I think we can all agree to that. Count me among the folks who, despite disagreeing with a lot of the decisions made so far this offseason, is now resigned to playing out the hand. Maybe we'll be good. Maybe we'll stink. Whatever the case, I'll be watching from start to finish, because I'm crazy like that. Isn't that what this is about?

So anyway, I dig where you're coming from, I really do. And I respect where Guru is coming from as well. But we really, really don't need to rehash the "trade everybody" proposal any more, do we? Life's too short... let's enjoy ourselves!

Hail! and etc..

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Nate.

I'm hoping for the best for next season as well. You have to admit, however, with the nature of the NFC east; how the teams around us have improved, it doesn't look good.

Don't understand how you go from being free agent crazy to not signing any free agents at all. I suppose it's like crack cocaine; you either smoke up or you don't?

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Now re-reading my comment, I come off pretty much as an insufferable ass. On top of the usual know-it-all angle. Which is precisely what podspeak is talking about with the blog bullies comment. This is a habit I have tried to break, after being among the worst offenders up here, browbeating newcomers and basically being a jerk. Sorry about that, my Portland comrade.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I really want to believe that there is a method to Dan Snyder's madness, but he's made it awfully hard to believe in him, hasn't he? It will take some good years, some really good years, to burnish his image among most of the fan base (let alone the rest of the sporting world, and the media).

I like to think that the "restraint" we've shown in free agency last season and this has been three parts salary cap crunch, and two parts honest-to-goodness fiscal responsibility.

And you made a point above that I made a few days back, that by NOT extending some of our vets (there are a few guys whose contracts we've left alone, instead of cutting or restructuring, either of which have heavy cap implications) we're choosing to take the pain now and not push the pain to next offseason.

So I have some hope that we've turned a corner for the better, and holy moley, it looks like it's Vinny and Danny who are making those calls. (Miracles never cease!)

So much rides on Zorn, and the O line, and young Jason Campbell... I hope it's a fun team to watch this fall. Bringing somewhat lowered expectations (new coach, new offense) should help.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

And I have faith in Jason, and I have faith in Bugel and the O line... and I have found the bottom of this Sierra Nevada ESB ("Early Spring Beer"). Good for me.

Taking a wait and see approach on the new Coach.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Podspeak, Nate:

Fear not, neither be afraid, the Zorn Master wields the might Chris Meidt death ray.

With it he shall smote our enemies (NFC East and otherwise).

(Let no one else speak of the future of Randy Thomas for the next 48 hours, just for a change of pace).

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 25, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Self-medicating with Makers Mark...and so it goes.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 25, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Stumped, you sure are repping Chris Meidt up here this evening.

What do you know about this dude? Just a hunch? Or you know something?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

He's just such an unknown, a mystery rapped in an enigma and will clearly be instrumental in the offensive game plan. He's a stats hound.

It *gulp* should be fun to watch. I wonder how his bracket is doing?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 25, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 12:38 AM

This might be something worth worrying about, if there was any truth in it. Given past history, nothing indicates that this conclusion will be anywhere close to correct.

In 2007, neither the Giants nor the Packers signed any free agent of consequence. How did that strategy work out for those teams? Didn't the Giants win the most recent Super Bowl? What big names have the Giants signed this year? Weren't the Packers in the NFC Championship Game?

The Colts rarely dabble in the free agent market, preferring instead to re-sign their best players and allowing the rest to leave as UFAs (while accumulating compensatory draft picks). Didn't they win the Super Bowl after the 2006 season?

The Eagles signed the "best" UFA cornerback available in free agency this year, with a very high price tag. What guarantee do they have that he will continue to perform as well as he performed previously? There are dozens of examples of players who, after signing lucrative free agent contracts, have never performed again at their previous levels. Which type of player will Samuel be? A Randy Moss (a trade, by the way) or an Adam Archuleta? And when was the last time the Eagles won the Super Bowl?

Then there is Dallas. What have they done this year in free agency? It seems they have lost a lot of free agents to Miami. How many have they signed? How many (besides T.O. - or was he a trade?) have they signed in the past that have made a profound difference? When was their last Super Bowl victory? Seems like they are still being led by Romo and Roy Williams.

And then we have the Redskins - the most active team in big name free agency since around 2000. All that wheeling and dealing resulted in how many Super Bowl championships? How many All-Pro designations? How many positions 2-3 deep in real talent?

The reality of free agency is that it is rarely a difference-maker anymore. The best teams re-sign or franchise their best talent and only allow second-tier players to hit the market. This year was no exception, with franchise designations for players like Nnamdi Asomugha, Albert Haynesworth, Jared Allen and others, plus new contracts for Larry Fitzgerald and others - in other words, the best available players in the league with expiring contracts (or deals that had to be re-worked). And who hit free agency? D J Hackett, Justin Smith, and Dewayne Robertson. Definitely not top-notch talent, but somewhere north of "just a guy" status. Or maybe we could have paid $50 million and gotten Tommy Kelly (DT-Oakland) to bolster the D-Line!

Sure, the Redskins have benefited in the past by signing solid veterans at reasonable prices, and probably would have done the same this year if market conditions were the same. The reality is there was less talent available and more dollars available (because of a large increase in the salary cap), meaning that average players got paid way too much to change teams.

Considering the state of the Redskins salary cap this year, doing nothing in free agency appears to be the best choice. Why waste the small amount of cap space available on new versions of BLloyd and Archuleta? We've done that - it hasn't worked. Time to find a method that yields real results.

To paraphrase Santayana, those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. This new Redskins' new direction should be embraced; there will be no need to regret bad free agency choices this year. If only Cerrato can pull a few rabbits out of his draft-pool player evaluation hat now, this can truly be a successful off-season.

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | March 25, 2008 6:07 AM | Report abuse

TheCrick,

Could not have said it better, no one in the NFC east did anything to make themselves better.

Pod,

The reason everyone got on Guru for his/her comments is because those same comments were discussed up here for months, and everyone has moved on.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow, just wow.

Going over some of the posts from yesterday, you'd think Randy Thomas was Bruce Matthews or something. For a guy who wasn't drafted here, there's a lot of groundswell for him to retire a Redskin. And a hell of a lot of misguided assumptions that he's good for the next 3-4 years. Here's my last word on Randy: he's a solid starter, damn good when healthy. But this team has made the playoffs TWICE with him on the sidelines at the end of the year (when this team HAD to win EVERY game down the stretch to get to the postseason). He's not irreplacable.

And I forgot who posted it, but trading Randy was compared to when the Jets traded Kendall here. Dumb comparison. The Jets haven't spiraled into horrible line play for a decade. They struggled at that spot last year, but now they have Alan Faneca, a HUGE upgrade AND the Skins 4th round pick. Just because you can't see the replacement in-house the minute you make the deal doesn't mean it won't work. Just like making a BAD move sets you back, sometimes making NO move sets you back just the same.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Crickets makes a well though out point. In the end though I don't know if you can ever say this or that strategy will work in the NFL. So many rules have been put into the game which end up effecting how its played. Free Agency the Salary Cap, the limited numbers of players on each sideline. All of these go effect how the game is played, and I think personally that ends up pulling off more resources for teams then they need to.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Pod,

Actually, Sports_Guru got blasted because the whole "trade everybody" thing is an anger-based, thoughtless stance that gets you nothing but high blood pressure. No one here is interested in that.

Moving right along...

The NFC East hasn't done much as a whole because there's nothing much to go after. There's not more than about 5 or so top-tier free agents this year, and with mediocre talent and exorbitant prices free agency doesn't pay big dividends anymore. In all honesty, I think THAT has more to do with the Redskins inactivity in free agency this year than Danny "getting it".

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

I think Skins fans are loyal to those trench guys. The strength and the power of those 5 men holds the offense for many of us fans. More than anything on the skins I think that line and is part of this teams identity and has been since the 80's, to suggest weakness of any lineman is harrisy in this city.

So you sir must be a witch.

WITCH WITCH WITCH...
*How do you know he's a witch
He turned me into a newt!

...I got better.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

I understand the Hogs are still a huge part of what this team stands for. But Randy's not a Hog. The Hogs are long gone. They're analysts now.

There SHOULD be loyalty to Jansen and Samuels. Those guys were born and bread Redskins and have played at a high level here for a lot of years. Even still, this is the NFL. There are no sacred cows. If Zach Thomas can be cut by the Dolphins and Junior Seau from the Chargers and Emmitt Smith from the anti-Christ--I mean, the Cowboys before him, who the hell is Randy Thomas?

And as I explained the last time Randy was a topic of discussion, I like Randy. Nice guy, damn good player. But once you've spent close to 10 years in the trenches, it takes a toll on the body. And if someone (WITH TRADE VALUE) is going to be the odd-man out on the line, it would be Randy.

THAT'S my last Randy comment.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

See I don't think at his age Randy has the Trade value that makes moving him worthwhile.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh and I agree we jumped on Guru because he kept re posting the same idea on 1000 different threads and people said the same answer, " No thats dumb, you would have to cut the entire roster due to cap hit." and then he would repost.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 07:05 AM

Yeah Alex, that may be true. Trading him is only worthwhile for a first day pick. If you can't get anything more than a 3rd rounder it's a waste. That's where people are misunderstanding the point around here. Nobody's saying "trade Randy for a 7th rounder and ham sandwich". The thought is if you can improve draft standing AND get younger at a position where your team is old, then pull the trigger. If the team can't drum up any interest, then they're better served in keeping him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Agree that Thomas has no trade value.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Sorry 4th, couldn't resist.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 24, 2008 05:45 PM

Good one!

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 12:38 AM

Go back and look at the last 4 SB Champs and take a look at what Offseason acquisitions they made and you would be quite suprised.

At this rate, we will acually go to the SB played in January/February, not the one in March/April.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 24, 2008 11:13 PM

Nate,

My son was at this game too. He said the finish was amazing, very exciting. The crowd was into it as well. Check it out:

He's going again tonight.

Posted by: mmok | March 25, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Also, when I was enjoying the view from the top of the bracket - I said that brackets could turn on you quickly. Geez,
I jinxed myself terribly - and UConn, and Duke, and Georgetown......

Posted by: mmok | March 25, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

At the risk of being mercilessly attacked - "Are the force fields up, Scotty?" - so far things seem to be working out for Copy Boy Vinnie.

x) No stupid over-priced acquisitions paid for by draft picks.

9) No big name semi-successful coaching hires.

#)And finally, he made no attempt to immediately re-sign the Fabini Four and he re-signed all of them for around the vet minimum.

Maybe this goes to show that Snyder actually learned that he shouldn't make the important decisions.

Dare I say that there maybe hope for the team with Danny Boy as the owner?

Posted by: cmecyclist | March 25, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Pod, you stated you don't know how the Redskins go from being Free Agent crazy to sitting idly by?

They're learning, I really believe that they are. I think they're learning, and they're changing their way's. They're going to start to focus on the draft, start focusing on getting younger players in place. I think they've realized that putting all their cards in free agency is not the way to go.

Give them credit, they've seemingly changed their way's, they're signing guys who were already here, Rock/Todd/Frost/Fabini, and not overpaying for the free agents who were out there.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but I think the Skins are going to pick Branden Albert, OG from UVA with #21. Understand Vinny went to UVA's pro day and I'm hearing GREAT reports on Albert.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I think it would be a great pick, then go DE in the 2nd WR in the 3rd.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Something else to keep in mind (someone may have said this already, I didn't read through all of the posts) as far as front office free agency "spending" is that heading onto this offseason, we have 22 out of 22 starters (of a playoff team) returning under contract. This is very good news, and I think ties in to the points folks have been making about the colts, giants, packers, and cowboys. There might be a guy or three that they may want to extend at some point, but the only guys that they were worried about resigning are all backups (exception of Frosty and Albright). All have tested the market and come back....we'll see what happens with Caldwell, but who really cares if he signs elsewhere....looks like wideout is a draft priority whether he re-signs or not. Hopefully the bonds that were formed last season can remain, and this team can just get better and better. The draft could be sweet, I can't wait. Also, they seem to do a pretty good job of signing undrafted guys to the roster right after the draft (example, Heyer). And as Iv'e said several times before, June cuts are looming, so we might be able to find some good depth there as well. It looks like we might be set to draft "for depth" and groom the picks into starters down the road. Hail!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4, I agree and I think they will go DE in Round 2 as well.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on Albert in the 1st. Getting a big-time Guard to go along with Heyer's development would be a nice foundation for the future. DE in the 2nd would also be my top choice, provided a worthy one is still available. I'm loving the idea of rebuilding the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I love the groundswell of interest in Branden Albert up here. Not just as a Cavalier ("we're number 98! we're number 98!") but as a Skins fan.

Thinking back to the '01 draft, I had my fingers crossed that we would pick a blue-chip prospect named Steve Hutchinson to join his college teammate Jon Jansen on our O line. Instead we picked a fellow named Gardner, Rod, and Hutchinson went two picks later. Ugh.

What I'm saying is, if we draft a freakin' wide receiver at #21 (some people very high up in the organization have indicated that they consider WR to be among our top needs, right? so it's not impossible...) and Albert is still on the board, I will be miffed. You hear me, Vinny? Miffed!

[Hmm, look at that draft... aside from Gardner, Rod, we eventually saw Andre Carter, Santana Moss, and Adam Archuleta in the crimson and goldenrod, and didn't Freddie Mitchell had a ham sandwich at the Ashburn Arby's last season?... Ahem.]

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

After looking at that draft that is crazy, we took Gardner over Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Hutchinson.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Early News,
PFT.com
'SKINS KEEP ANOTHER ONE
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2008, 8:42 a.m.
The Washington Redskins have changed.

Whether it was intentional or coincidental, it has happened. Gone are the big-money free-agency splurges. Instead, the team is actually trying (successfully) to keep its current players.

This year alone, the 'Skins have re-signed quarterback Todd Collins and running back Rock Cartwright (Cartwright!).

They've now re-signed tackle Jason Fabini.

The retention of Fabini is significant, given that many league observers (including us) assumed that Fabini would make a beeline to Miami, where he would be reunited (again) with Bill Parcells. But the Fins apparently weren't interested, and so he's staying in D.C.

Fabini gets a one-year deal worth a total of $870,000 to him but costing only $485,000 to the Redskins in real dollars and cap dollars, thanks to the procedure for encouraging teams to choose veterans over younger guys who come much cheaper.

Permalink | Comments Back to Top
EDWARDS ACCUSES BUCS, RAMS OF CHEATING
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2008, 8:30 a.m.
The tampering floodgates could be opening.

On the same day that the NFL nailed the Niners for talking to Bears linebacker Lance Briggs without formal authorization while the two teams were talking about a possible trade of the Pro Bowler, Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards bemoaned the fact that his team's effort to sign a couple of coveted free agents was hampered by the fact that other teams apparently had an improper head start.

Regarding the Chiefs' inability to acquire guys like center Jeff Faine (who signed with the Bucs on the first day of free agency) and kicker Josh Brown (who landed quickly with the Rams), Edwards said, "There were probably some deals done before [the launch of free agency]. We didn't cheat. We abided by the rules. That's how you're supposed to do it, and that's what we did."

Implicit in Edwards' remarks is that the Bucs and Rams did cheat.

And though the tampering rules as currently drafted prevent the league from taking action absent a complaint from the team to whom the tampered-with player belonged, Edwards' remarks prove that there really isn't only one victim when tampering occurs. In the cases of Faine and Brown, the Chiefs (and possibly other teams) lost out when they didn't get a fair shot at pursuing the players.

Of course, the Chiefs were victims under this formula only if they were one of the rare teams (if there even are any) who refuse to engage in the pre-free agency discussions that allow agents to outline the contours of the market. Indeed, Faine wouldn't have signed with the Bucs on day one and Brown wouldn't inked with the Rams if either player's agent thought that more money would be available elsewhere. The fact that deals can be signed so quickly with one team means that discussions with multiple teams preceded the finalization of the contracts.

The irony of Edwards' remarks is that his leap from the Jets to the Chiefs a couple of years ago occurred under circumstances that could cause a reasonable person to believe that discussions were occurring between Edwards and Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson while Edwards was still the property of the Jets. So it's possible that the Chiefs' chief is speaking with forked tongue when it comes to whether or not they cheated. The truth could be that they simply didn't cheat as effectively as the Bucs and Rams did.

And that's the point we keep coming back to. They all cheat. They all tamper. Everyone wants to get an edge, because the NFL is the ultimate zero-sum game in which for every winning team there necessarily is a losing team, and the folks who work in the football operations of the losing teams are in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

So if the NFL is going to hammer the Niners for making two phone calls of unknown content to an agent who represents a lot more players than Lance Briggs and if that standard is going to be applied to every other team, then every other team should lose one or more draft picks.

The other possibility is that the 49ers were sacrificed by the league in order to demonstrate to folks like Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) that the NFL is willing and able to enforce its rules. But if those rules aren't going to be enforced fairly and equally, it would be better not to enforce them.

Under such circumstances, it would be even better to not have rules at all.

Permalink | 4 Comments Back to Top
NINERS TAKE ISSUE WITH TAMPERING RULING
Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2008, 11:20 p.m.
Though the San Francisco 49ers have been tactful in their response to the ruling by the league office that they tampered with Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, they don't agree with the outcome.

"The 49ers organization respects Commissioner Goodell's ruling today, however we do disagree with it," said 49ers General Manager Scot McCloughan. "This was not a malicious act; we believe that our intent was within the NFL guidelines. Going forward, we will take the necessary steps to ensure we are in compliance with the NFL's interpretation."

Per Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle, the team is "mystified" by the finding. Citing two unnamed sources, Lynch reports that the Niners never actually made contact with Drew Rosenhaus, the agent who represents Briggs, regarding Briggs.

Lynch says that the proof of tampering consisted of a phone record showing phone communications between the Niners and Rosenhaus. That's it. A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that there were only two short calls to Rosenhaus during the relevant time period.

Rosenhaus represents nearly 80 NFL players, and he has several clients who play for the 49ers, including running back Frank Gore. It would have been permissible for the 49ers to talk to Rosenhaus about any of them, at any time. Likewise, the Niners were allowed to speak with Rosenhaus about any of his clients who were looking for work at the time.

So what did they talk about? Our source says that the 49ers denied at the hearing that there was any conversation with Rosenhaus about Briggs. And multiple sources tell us that Rosenhaus didn't testify at the hearing. So if Rosenhaus didn't testify and if the Niners denied that there were discussions with Rosenhaus about Briggs, how could the Niners get nailed?

The other aspect of this one that strikes us as odd is that the Bears don't dispute that they were talking to the Niners about a trade for Briggs. We hear that the Bears wanted a first-round pick; surely, the Bears didn't think that the 49ers would give up a first-rounder without an extension of Briggs' contract.

And an extension would only have happened if -- duh -- the Niners had reached an agreement with Rosenhaus about the terms of the new deal.

In the end, the trade talks died because Briggs couldn't sign an extension because he signed his one-year franchise tender after July 15. Amazingly, neither the Bears nor the Niners knew this.

So the 49ers apparently were busted for discussions that weren't proven on a contract extension that couldn't happen on a trade that wouldn't have gone through absent a new contract between the Niners and Briggs.

If this is tampering (and we're not suggesting that it isn't), then it's suddenly become far easier to prove this violation of the rules. And every team that had one of its own players leave via free agency in the first 72 hours after the market opened should file charges against the team that signed said player. If there's a phone record showing that the player's new team spoke with the player's agent within a week or two prior to February 29, the Niners won't be the only team that doesn't have a fifth round pick.

Heck, in the end, there might not even be a fifth round.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I agree with you on Albert. At this point in time, he seems to be the guy who will be the best player at a position of need when we draft at 21. He would be an immediate upgrade over Kendall or Thomas, and I love the fact that he can play tackle too.

He is, by far, the smartest pick at 21. I'll take the best guard in the draft over the 3rd best receiver, 3rd best cornerback, or 8th best defensive line player any day of the week.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, looking back at past drafts is never a good thing as a Redskins fan. Kind of gives you that throw-up taste in your mouth.

Put me down as on board with taking Albert in the first. I'm 100% backing this move. I haven't seen a whole lot of press on this kid, which bodes well for us. I'd take another guard with that extra third round pick they have as well.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Also,

Assuming we go Albert with our 1st, I think we should use our 2nd on a CB or DE, whoever we have highest rated on our board. Next, a WR with one of our 3rds and then the rest of the draft, i don't want to see a single player who is not an OL or DL/DE.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SmallPen15 | March 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 09:42 AM

You know, I've seen a lot of people bash the Redskins past drafts but look at the first half of the last several years of drafts and they look pretty damn good (with a few exceptions). 2nd half of drafts have always been crap shoots.

2006
2. Roger McIntosh, OLB, Miami - 35th overall
5. Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota - 153rd overall
6. Reed Doughty, S, North Colorado - 173rd overall
6. Kedric Golston, DT, Georgia - 196th overall
7. Kili Lefotu, OG, Arizona - 230th overall
7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall

The Full Draft Haul

2005
1. Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn (9th overall)
1. Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn (25th overall)
4. Manuel White, FB, UCLA (120th overall)
5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)
6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel (222nd overall)

The 2005 Draft Haul

3. Cliff Russell, WR, Utah
5. Andre Lott, S, Tennessee
5. Robert Royal, TE, LSU
6. Reggie Coleman, T, Tennessee
7. Jeff Grau, LS, UCLA
7. Greg Scott, DE, Hampton
7. Rock Cartwright, FB, Kansas St.

2001
1. Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson
2. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi St.
4. Sage Rosenfels, QB, Iowa St.
5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.
6. Mario Monds, DT, Cincinnati

2000
1. LaVar Arrington, LB, Penn St.
1. Chris Samuels, T, Alabama
3. Lloyd Harrison, CB, N.C. State
4. Michael Moore, G, Troy St.
5. Quincy Sanders, S, UNLV
6. Todd Husak, QB, Stanford
7. Del Cowsette, DT, Maryland
7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

1999
1. Champ Bailey, CB, Georgia
2. Jon Jansen, T, Michigan
4. Nate Stimson, LB, Georgia Tech
5. Derek Smith, OL, Virginia Tech
6. Jeff Hall, K, Tennessee
7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Hold up, I realize it's only been a few comments, but there is something like consensus on this Albert kid. That never happens up here.

Okay, time for Vinny to post and let us know if we're all in synch on this. It would be nice to get this settled and move on to other things.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I was looking at this draft chart and noticed that we had the second toughest schedule in the league last year only the Eagles played a tougher schedule. That makes me feel even better about this year.

I am not talking about the schedule at the begining of the season, I am talking about how our opponets finished the year.

142-114

Eagles opponets

144-112

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Seth, to me, and what do I know, but the 2nd round is going to depend on who is still available. I think they need to go BPA, but limited to DE/CB/WR.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ach, thanks, SmallPen. I just totally got rickrolled.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey Pod: I'll bite.. I guess you'll be a Jaguars fan now? Greg Williams' 2 million dollar bonus was an adequate consolation prize for not getting the HC job. I thought he'd be a good choice too, but I see the wisdom of hiring Zorn and Blatche. At the very least -- the Skins should be more aggressive on both offense and defense this year. They should be much more exciting to watch as a fan.

Hackett was a good move by the new GM -- Vinny Cerrato -- The skins needed a #3 receiver and weren't interested in paying him #2 money. Even though he understands Zorn's West Coast offense and could have assisted in teaching the position to the other receivers. However, he has been injury prone and doesn't play ST. Good job -- now we'll either select a young WR in the draft or pick up a (soon to be) FA like Matt Jones after the draft.

Steps 1 and 2 are ridiculous for the obvious reasons: salary cap, viability of the team, and returned value. The only way I see them trading Moss is for Ocho Cinco. Portis and Campbell are going to excel in this offense. Washington (30) and Springs (33) are the Skins best players at their positions and are not that old. I'm more concerned about DE Daniels (35) aging.

I actually like step 3! The Skins finally have a full complement of 1st day picks this year... So like you said: "Draft Well". Hopefully, they will select some good backup players who can replace the aging veterans after a few years of seasoning.

Posted by: siris | March 25, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

In the spirit of Podspeak, here are my 3 simple steps to being a great golfer:

c: Drive the ball 300 yards
XLI: Make all of your putts
9: Stay out of bunkers.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I can go with Albert as the 1st pick. He makes a lot of sense. However I'm not sure that is part of Redskins philosophy. When did the skins last take a Guard with their first pick? When you have a great coach like Bugle who can coach up most players, I think they tend to believe they can get a player with 1st round potential but grades out as a 3rd round because of experience, injury etc and be good. If one of the top CB drop I could see them going there. Also, I keeping my eye out on James Hardy. It's been reported one team has him as the #1 WR prospect, and Vinny has always mentioned him (hard to ignore 16 TD's) when speaking about the best WR's.

Posted by: marlonjohn | March 25, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

greg,

i think its possible we go WR in the 2nd, but someone had a HUGE post here yesterday where they posted draft risers and fallers and there seemed to be A LOT of good receivers slated to go in the 3rd. In any case, i think with our 4 picks in rounds 1-3, its almost a foregone conclusion that we will get one of each: OL/WR/DE/CB.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

With the Fabini signing -- the Skins only have one or two positions available on the offensive line. Assuming Lorenzo Alexander fills Pucillo's C/G position, then that leaves only one or two backup G positions for draft picks or vet minimum FAs.

Fabini did an excellent job last year. Wade will have competition and could be a late camp cut, since they both play the same position (backup T/G). Seemed like Fabini out played Wade and more importantly stayed healthy.

Posted by: siris | March 25, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Seth, yeah, I saw that post, but I'm not sure any of those guys would be worth a 2nd round pick. Other than Hardy, they all seemed like lesser known players.

If the Skins can get Albert and then pick up Jordy Nelson, I think those two guys could be immediate contributors.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

yeah, earlier (probably wishful thinking) mocks had nelson falling to us in the third, but it seems he is bound for the 2nd round now. I just don't see WR as dire of a need as CB or DE. Mix is willing to play teams this year and he has a tremendous upside. If Caldwell comes back, I really think we are fine at WR with Moss, Caldwell, Randel El, Mix, and Thrash.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

CORK'S THREE LAWS OF ENJOYING GOLF

1. Go directly to the 19th hole.

2. Order drink; consume same.

3. Repeat.

Posted by: corkczar | March 25, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Seth, to call Mix anything other than a question mark, I believe is giving him way too much credit. While there is a chance he could turn out to be something, right now taking him at face value, he's a special teamer.

With ARE and Moss having injury issues, and the Redskins transitioning into a WCO, where they need a bigger wideout to play the slot, I think they can't ignore drafting a WR.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.
Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.
Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson
Cliiff Russell, WR, Utah
Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida - 44th overall

This is the fine array of talent the redskins have garnered through the draft at the wide receiver position from 1999 to present day.

I believe the 'skins scouting and evaluation departments are mediocre at best--but when it comes to receivers, they're atrocious.

Based on that, a defensive lineman or CB makes more sense than risking extending the streak by picking another wideout.

Posted by: corkczar | March 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Oooops. I left out Darnerian McCouldn't

Posted by: corkczar | March 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Anyone out there think Calais Cambell will be there when we pick in the 3rd round. I have seen a few mocks that think that he is going to slide but to think he will make it to the bottom third of the 3rd round is a IF. Also, has anyone seen Kendall Langford play? I know he didn't play against top competition but the guy is the same size as Cambell, stronger (put up 24 reps to Cambell's 16) and is more athletic (ran in the 4.8s I believe). Have never seen him play, but I can only imagine that he can at the very least be a situational rusher in his first year like Tuck was for the Giants. Looking at his size and numbers I have to believe we can develope him into a solid every down contributor in the future. Rotoworld has something about Malcom Kelly's knees. Said some teams are taking him off their draft boards because of medical concerns. I really think we should try to trade down with the 21st pick but doubt we will. If not, I would love Jordy Nelson with the second pick. After watching him dominate Aqib Talib I think he is LEGIT. he is bigger than Chad Johnson and ran a better 40 time (Johnson ran 4.55 at his proday for Oregon State to Nelson's 4.51). Anyone have any thoughts or nuggets about these guys?

Posted by: rbruce | March 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

cork, you failed to mention that Alexander and Howell were 7th round choices.

Garnder had a 1000 yard season, before he big-timed himself out of the league.

And Russell and Jacobs were picks done by the Spurrier regime....nuff said.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Nate- My condolences on your Wahoos moving on to the "Final Four" of the CBI. Thankfully, my Bobcats will not be joining them!

Oh, and the way I understand it, if your boys make the final, it's actually a best two out of three series. You know, just to prolong your agony. Lucky you.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 09:50 AM

You must not be looking at the same draft class I'm looking at. The Skins OVERALL draft record of late is average at best. Not a single late round pick panned out with the exception of Rock Cartwright. And the jury's still out on the two tackles from '06. Drafting well is not missing on your early round picks and unearthing gems in late rounds. Nobody bats 1.000 but you should do better than the Skins have in recent years. And I haven't even touched on the fact the Skins haven't drafted ENOUGH players over the last several years.

And I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents and say that I'm on the Albert bandwagon as well. If everyone is agreeing, this can't bode well...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

cork,

I agree with your assessment, and I don't think that it falls solely on the redskins either. There's a very low hit rate when it comes to receivers drafted in the first 2 rounds throughout the nfl, especially with those not considered sure-fire top-five prospects (calvin johnson, larry fitzgerald, braylon edwards, etc.). While I don't think we should completely shy away from receivers throughout the draft, I think we would be better served looking at OL/DL/CB much more heavily in the early rounds. I think a receiving corp of Moss/ARE/Caldwell/Thrash/Mix/Mid-Late draft choice is more than enough firepower to keep our offense moving. Of course, if Caldwell doesn't re-sign, then we may have to put more emphasis on WR early.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

In order to break up the agreeing that is going on, I'm going to change my vote to hoping the Redskins go for a Kicker in the first round.

The kicker from Appalachian State is who I'd take at 21. No doubt.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

brownwood, i dont see how you can say the jury is out on montgomery and golston - they are performing exceptionally well for players taken as late as they were in the draft. players drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds are never expected to be full-time starters. at this point, i am very pleased with their progress and our drafts the past three years. we didn't always have a lot of picks, but we did fairly well with what we got.

from 2005, we have two long-term starters at key positions.

in 2006, we didn't even have 1st, 3rd or 4th rounders, but all 4 of our first picks are on the roster and 3 of them are starters, and 3 of them were taken in the 5th and 6th rounds. thats incredible, if you ask me.

in 2007, we got landry with our 1st rounder, and didnt pick again until the 5th round. we had 4 picks in rounds 5-7. Of those players, one is a roleplayer and looks to be our future MLB. of the other 3, ecker is still around but i'm not hopefull for him, Sartz got lost in a numbers game and is with the vikings, and palmer, well, he was taken at the bottom of the 6th round and worth the gamble in my opinion.

I guess you can look at our recent draft history and see what you want to see. but i see that we have done fairly good in the draft recently - and this is when we don't have a full complement of picks!

I'm very hopeful when I think of what vinny can do with a full complement of picks (3rd round comp makes up for the missing 4th rounder).

My bold prediction: 3 out of the first 4 selections become long-term starters and 2 of the players taken in rounds 5-7 become contributors!

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 11:20 AM

You must be blind then. McIntosh, Montgomery, Doughty, Golston, Rogers, Campbell, Taylor, Cooley, Dockery, Betts, Smoot, Arrington, Samuels, Bailey, and Jansen. These guys were and are major contributors to this team with a few going on to be very good for other teams. As far as Rock being the only one who panned out, Rosenfels played decent last year for another team and Robert Royal was pretty good. To expect late round choices to be Tom Brady or Marquis Colston is a little ridiculous. Those guys are few and far between. I said in my post that the 2nd day picks were crap shoots, but I will agree that our later picks, for the most part, have not panned out. Yes, a lack of picks overall has been a problem. But if you look at the first 3 rounds in each of those drafts, when we've had picks, the choices have been pretty good. Now granted, I'm not very familiar with the names of offensive lineman around the league, but there is a precious few from the later rounds that I recognize. This talk of coaching up is a great theory, but the reality (in my mind, and that's not saying much) is that they turn out to be more role players and journeymen than good, solid long term players much less starters. Having said that, Albert in the first makes sense to me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Caldwell signs with STL 1yr deal for 645k

Posted by: seth342 | March 25, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If Phillip Merling, Derrick Harvey, or Quintin Groves, is there at 21 they might go DE. I assume they'd pass on Calais Campbell in the first. Branden Albert would seem to have fewer questions about him, so that may be the safest pick. But what's that I hear about him allowing 5 and 1/2 sacks in 2007? Do guards get blamed for blitzes up the middle?

Put me down for Jordy Nelson in the second.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Caldwell signs with STL 1yr deal for 645k

Posted by: seth342 | March 25, 2008 11:58 AM

That's got to be pretty much the minimum. Maybe he wants to continue to work with Al Saunders.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Courting a Defensive Lineman

By Site Staff
Warpath Insiders
Posted Mar 24, 2008

Defensive Linemen is a recognized need for the Redskins. Could this player be a possible target?

Viking Update's Tim Yotter has learned, through a league source, that Notre Dame defensive lineman Trevor Laws is scheduled to visit with the Washington Redskins on April 7-8 in preparation for the draft.

Trevor Laws Sacks Tavita Pritchard
(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

With the age of three of their starters getting up there, the Redskins need to look at grooming a replacement now so that in the future, they aren't caught with out a capable starter.

Trevor is the eighth ranked DT according to Scout.com's draft rankings and projects to be around a third or fourth round pick.

While Trevor is not projected as a starting caliber Defensive Tackle, he is best known for his work and hustle. He gives it his all on every play. He is a very tough player that plays physical.

While he is probably not stout enough to be a Nose Tackle in a 3-4, he could become a very solid rotational player at Defensive Tackle for the Redskins.

Posted by: marlonjohn | March 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Redskins | Godfrey has visit scheduled
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:13:36 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Iowa CB Charles Godfrey is scheduled to visit with the Washington Redskins.

NFL | Otah does not work out at his Pro Day
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:41:59 -0700

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports University of Pittsburgh OT Jeff Otah (ankle) did not work out during the university's Pro Day because of a high ankle sprain. He has rescheduled his workout for Wednesday, April 9.

Patriots | Team reportedly interested in Spikes
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:28:11 -0700

Karen Guregian, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots are showing interest in unrestricted free-agent LB Takeo Spikes (Eagles), according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

skinfan, I'm not sure that Groves is first round material. He's got a lot of upside, but in all the stuff that I've read about him, he was alway's given a second round grade.

I think Laws in the 3rd would be a solid pickup...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Trevor Laws in the third would be great!

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Seth,

Let's be honest here. Montgomery and Golston have looked good in spots, but I doubt they could start on half the other teams in the league. I'm no coach, so I can't say with any level of certainty that those two have started because they're that good or because the d-line is that void of talent. So that's why the jury's still out on them. But you make a good argument that guys taken in the 5th/6th rounds don't typically contribute so soon, so I give them credit for that.

Truth is, you can't judge a draft until at least 3 years after the fact. So far only 2 players from last year's draft are even on the team, so there's not much to evaluate there. I'm not sure who the solid starters you speak of from '05. Carlos Rogers was shaky and he may not even be starter quality anymore after his knee injury. He's shown flashes, but the jury's still out on Campbell; especially having to learn a new system for the 3rd time (and that's not counting college). Taylor and Cooley are studs from '04, but the only other picks from that draft (Molinaro, Wilson) are no longer on the team and I don't think they're even in football at all! And in '03, only 3 selections and Dockery was the only player to start. From '02 we still have Betts and Cartwright, DOUBLING the total players still on the roster from '03 and '04 COMBINED. Go back and look at the Steelers draft over the same period; most of their guys are still there.

So as of late, they're making it count in the first round but if you're going to have quality depth, you have to get players thru the ENTRIRE draft. That's why they get only an average grade from me.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

++++Garnder had a 1000 yard season, before he big-timed himself out of the league.++++ gregmarino88

One decent season from a first rounder makes him a BAD PICK.--CORKCZAR

++++And Russell and Jacobs were picks done by the Spurrier regime....nuff said.++++

Were they now? How have they done post-Spurrier?

+++If anything I think this highlights the need to draft a WR, but to do due diligence on that particular player in order to reduce the potential that he'll be added to that list.++++

The trouble with that logic is essentially the same diligence doers will be doing due diligence again, and they can't do due diligence worth a damn.

Posted by: corkczar | March 25, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Laws in the 3rd would be a solid pickup...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 12:16 PM

Beyond Long and Gholston there's questions about all the DEs. Mock drafts have us taking any one of the three mentioned: Merling, Harvey or Groves, though Groves less than the others.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the Trevor Laws bandwagon.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the Calais Campbell short bus.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 25, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Here is a review of the redskins drafts in recent history.
2007
1. LaRon Landry-- Impact safety who is very similar to sean in the way he plays
6. HB Blades-- Future MLB, he is the kind of late round pick we need.
2006
2. Roger McIntosh, OLB--Starling Wk side LB for future if he stays healthy
5. Anthony Montgomery, DT--Could be the Cog that holds our defense together for many years to come
6. Reed Doughty, S--Potential starter, if not, he is a hell of a backup
6. Kedric Golston, DT--Solid hardworking guy who could start down the line

2005
1. Carlos Rogers, CB--He came on strong his last year,it always takes corners to adjust to the speed and quickness of NFL recievers
1. Jason Campbell, QB--QB1 for a very long time in the future
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel (222nd overall)

2004
1. Sean Taylor, S-- Would have been top 5 all time at safety
3. Chris Cooley, TE--Tight end for forseeable future
5. Mark Wilson, OT-- Ehhhh
6. Jim Molinaro, OT--solid backup for a few years. what you get from a 6th rnd pick

2003
2. Taylor Jacobs, WR-- This was Spurrier's guy, no way we would have picked him otherwise
3. Derrick Dockery, G--would have been LG for a long time had we had cash to sign him

2002
1. Patrick Ramsey, QB--He never had it...
2. Ladell Betts, RB--turned into a starting caliber RB
7. Rock Cartwright, FB--Core Redskin

You guys can see that since Cerrato has been here, we have not drafter that badly. Alot of our higher picks have become impact players (Cooley, Taylor, Landry, Bailey, Arrington, Samuels...etc) and we have drafted younger guys (Blades, Mopntgomery, Golston, Doughty, Betts) who have been groomed by their superiors like griffin and fletcher to become future starters. We get good production out of what little we have in terms of quantity of Draft Picks

Posted by: mrodlauer | March 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe Monty and Golston are underapreciated. A major part of the job of DTs is to keep OLmen off the LBs so they can make plays. The LBs played great this year, and you have to give the line credit.

The overview of the draft history shows how picking WRs really messes up your average. Maybe the best way to acquire a WR is through free agency or trades. Any of the WRs in the draft could be washouts.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 11:56 AM

No, I see quite clearly. You just listed 15 players (about 5 of which shouldn't even be in the conversation) in 9 years. That's not exactly dynasty material. That's not even consistent playoff contender material.

I'm not saying you have to pick Brady and Colston at the end of the draft every year, just guys who make the team and at least give you some special teams contributions. Read my previous post on the team's record at the end of the draft the last few years.

I definitely (hope I'm not jinxing it) think the team will draft better this year. But let's not think that just because the team landed a couple Pro Bowlers the last 4 years that they're doing well because then you're missing the BIG picture.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I still see mock drafts with the Skins taking Campbell in the first round, I just emailed one of the guys that did the draft and told him in no uncertain terms to do better research when putting his draft together.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

NFL | Phillips scores 16 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:32:58 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Miami S Kenny Phillips scored a 16 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Rivers scores 16 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:32:26 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Southern California LB Keith Rivers scored a 16 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Mayo scores 26 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:31:46 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Tennessee LB Jerod Mayo scored a 26 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Clady scores 13 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:30:54 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Boise State OT Ryan Clady scored a 13 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | B. Albert scores 23 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:29:58 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Virginia OT Branden Albert scored a 23 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Cherilus scores 25 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:28:42 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Boston College OT Gosder Cherilus scored a 25 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | C. Williams scores 32 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:28:17 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Vanderbilt OT Chris Williams scored a 32 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Baker scores 27 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:27:59 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Southern California OT Sam Baker scored a 27 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Otah scores 28 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:27:42 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Pittsburgh OT Jeff Otah scored a 28 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | J. Long scores 26 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:27:19 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Michigan OT Jake Long scored a 26 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Henne scores 22 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:24:47 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Michigan QB Chad Henne scored a 22 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Flacco scores 27 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:24:11 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports University of Delaware QB Joe Flacco scored a 27 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | Brohm scores 32 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:23:16 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Louisville QB Brian Brohm scored a 32 on his Wonderlic test.

NFL | M. Ryan scores 32 on Wonderlic test
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:22:03 -0700

Dan Pompei, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Boston College QB Matt Ryan scored a 32 on his Wonderlic test.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Cork, Gardner had more than one decent season. He had a couple of decent seasons, as well as the season where he went over 1000 yards.

Were they now? How have they done post-Spurrier? They've never done ANYTHING, in the NFL. They were Spurrier picks, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. The fact that they've gone on to have ZERO career success only back up the point that Stevie was a poor judge of talent.

"The trouble with that logic is essentially the same diligence doers will be doing due diligence again, and they can't do due diligence worth a damn"

I disagree with this. The Redskins have changed their approach, and have met with much more success recently in the late rounds of the draft than they had been previously. Blades, Doughty, Golston, Montgomery, are examples of this.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood,
Very rarely do I agree with anything that you say and this is just another case of that. You're entitled to your opinion, and in reality, we can spin the drafts to back up either of our opinions so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

mrodlauer,

I love the late #21 as much as anyone, probably my favorite Redskin during the Gibbs 2.0 era. But you can't project he would have been top 5 all-time safety after just 3 1/2 years. Most had LaVar ranked the same way after he made 3 straight Pro-Bowls, and we know how that turned out...

Just a reminder here before I start getting the Sports_Guru treatment: I'm not slamming the Redskins recent drafting. They've acquired some stud players, particularly in early rounds in the second Gibbs stint. I'm just saying it's average and it's not as great as most here are making it sound.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975,

Just like Ron Burgundy saying San Diego means a whale's vagina in German, we'll agree to disagree.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd give Vinny solid grades for the players he's picked, but that doesn't mean the redskins have drafted well the past decade or so. We haven't. We haven't had much to choose from considering our league-low number of picks, but then again we have no one to blame but ourselves for being in that position.

Vinny's been above average with the picks he's had to deal with. We've seemed to make a change in philosophy, and now Vinny truly has a chance to prove himself. I'm expecting big things, and I'm hoping Vinny won't let me down. I think this truly will be a make-or-break draft for our future. We've got a large majority of our key players at the tail-end or past their primes, and this could be the draft that saves us from hitting another lengthy rebuilding phase.

Let's go Vinnnay! We're counting on you.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I wonder whether Dan Pompei has anything to report on Wonderlic scores for potential draftees... where would I find a list of Wonderlic scores for a bunch of draftees... hmm...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

If We pick a large 6-2 or 6-4 215 pnd reciever in the 6/7th round of every draft for the next 6 years one is bound to work out, and when they dont, its not like they are expected to become great.

Posted by: mrodlauer | March 25, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood, I will agree that the drafting has not been great, I've never said that. I said pretty (damn)good and I'll stand by that. Maybe adding the damn was a little much.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

psp, agreed, with our full compliment of picks, save for a 4th, Vinny needs to bring his A-game. As I've said before, he needs to go 4/4 in rounds 1-3. Those players need to be contributing/starting this year.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree that you cant classify him as I did, i was in the moment. However, there has not been a safety with the blend of size, athletisicm, hard hitting, ferocity and desire in recent memopry and barring a major injury, i have no doubts he would have been a 1st ballot hall of famer

Posted by: mrodlauer | March 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Here is who the Footbal Expert has us picking round 1-3, I am not sure who gave this guy that title.

21. Washington Redskins ­- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
Defensive end is the major weakness on this team, but with both Harvey and Merling off the board, new head doach Jim Zorn goes with the massive 6-4 Sweed who will be the tall receiver the Skins want in its new West Coast Offense. DEs Lawrence Jackson and Quentin Groves are possibilities, but Zorn is an offensive guy and the Redskins have been trying to find that tall receiver to complement its speedster. Sweed's stock drops this far due to a wrist injury his senior season.

51. Washington Redskins ­- Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech
The Redskins took the receiver in the first round now need its DE. Ellis is best available.

84. Washington Redskins - Roy Schuening, G, Oregon St.
The Redskins have two aging OGs in Pete Kendall and Randy Thomas.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

marlonjohn, I've heard Vinny say many times that we will draft the best player available when our turn comes. He has also stated that our areas of need are O line, D, and WR but also mentioned that he does not think any of the WRs in the draft are 1st round picks. Based on those comments, I just don't see him picking a WR at 21.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

That is the second mock that has us taking Schuening in the 3rd.

The other draft has Merling in the 1st and Jordy Nelson in the 2nd.

I like that scenario better.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I agree I think you could get a WR in the second with just as much upside as any taken in the 1st, I say OL or DE in the 1st, take what ever position has the higher rated player on your draft board.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

So far, it seems our coaching staff is being forthright. I do have to wonder though, is Zorn just saying we will take BPA so other teams may be willing to trade up to keep the skins from taking a player they want? Just a thought.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

km, I'd be ok with that draft. I think Sweed is going to turn out to be a steal at 21. Had he not gotten the wrist injury his senior year he'd be a top 10 pick I believe.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

PFT.com
PACMAN: "AIN'T NO TIME FOR SLIP-UPS"
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2008, 1:06 p.m.
Suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Pacman Jones is spending today in Dallas talking to former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin on Irvin's radio show, and he's doing his best to convince all who are listening that he understands the need to make changes in his life.

"It's getting to the point where it ain't no time for slip-ups right now," Jones told Irvin, per Tim MacMahon of the Dallas Morning News. "It's like I'm on the cliff right now. One slip-up and it's off the cliff."

MacMahon reports that Jones is making no excuses and pointing the finger only at himself for his suspension and repeated off-field problems. Still, it's hard not to think that Jones still doesn't quite get it, considering that Jones started the show by explaining the differences between "strip clubs" and "gentlemen's establishments." (A distinction of price and quality of the entertainment is apparently how Jones sees it.)

Jones' lawyer, Manny Arora, wouldn't allow any reporters to talk to Jones before the interview with Irvin. The interview is being streamed live on the station's web site.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

RAMS ADD CALDWELL
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2008, 11:39 a.m.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the St. Louis Rams have reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Caldwell spent the 2007 season in Washington, and the Redskins were reportedly awaiting a decision from Caldwell, whom they offered a contract, as recently as yesterday. No details of the deal have been reported, but Caldwell apparently liked the offer he got from the Rams better than the offer he got from the Redskins.

Caldwell didn't do much in Washington last season, playing in eight games and catching 15 passes for 141 yards. His best season came in 2006 with the New England Patriots, when he caught 61 passes for 760 yards. Prior to 2006 Caldwell spent four seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

In St. Louis Caldwell is likely to compete for the third receiver position behind starters Torry Holt and Drew Bennett.

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | March 25, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The kicker from Appalachian State is who I'd take at 21. No doubt.
Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 11:44 AM

I can't find the guy anywhere, but I remember from the 1-AA championship that App State has a serious stud at safety who is graduating.....anyone talking about this guy? I just remember that he was super-smart and hit like a truck.....serious sleeper potential.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the Laws bangwagon too. He tested as well if not better than all other DTs at the combine and had better numbers against top flight talent. No way he is there when we pick in the third round. We would have to snag him in the second if they want him.

Posted by: rbruce | March 25, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

dl, I was kidding about the kicker, but if the redskins are looking for a safety, the cat from either AZ, or AZ-State, goes about 6'2, 223, and ran a 4.37 40 at the combine. I'd take a late round flyer on that guy.

I could be wrong, but didn't Laws run a sub-5 40?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze,

Here you go,

Name: Corey Lynch
College: Appalachian State Number: 47
Height: 6-1 Weight: 204
Position: FS Pos2: ST
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.64 40 Low: 4.57 40 High: 4.70
Projected Round: 6 Stock:
Rated number 11 out of 134 FS's 214 / 2541 TOTAL

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: All-Southern Conference first-team selection and named the Defensive Player of the Year by the league's coaches and media...Started all fifteen games at free safety, recording a career-high 111 tackles (71 solos) with three stops for losses of 4 yards...Caused two fumbles and recovered another, as he also deflected eleven passes and led the conference with six interceptions for 114 yards in returns, including a touchdown...Blocked three kicks, advancing a blocked punt 33 yards...Had 73 passes targeted to his area, as the opposition caught 20 balls for 278 yards (13.9 avg) and a touchdown and averaged just 3.81 gross/1.86 net yards per pass attempt...Made 75 of his plays in run support, as he registered 31 third-down hits (20 vs. the pass) and eleven fourth-down stops (eight vs. the pass)...Stopped opposing ball carriers at the line of scrimmage for no gain four times and prevented opposing receivers from getting into their routes 37 times...Delivered eleven of his tackles inside the red zone, including seven on goal-line plays. 13 GP; 13 GS; 85 TT, 5 TFL, 5 INT, 6 PBU, 1 QBH, 3 BLK; 1st team All-Southern in '06. Missed time w/dislocation-fracture of elbow. Had surgery, six screws inserted. 15 GP; 15 GS; 92 TT, 1 TFL, 6 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF in '05. 2 GP; 2 GS; 13 TT, 1 INT, 1 FF in '04. 11 GP; 11 GS; 57 TT, 1 TFL, 6 INT, 4 PBU, 2 FF; Led the SoCon in interceptions (6) as freshman in '03.
Draft Scout Corey Lynch News
02/12/08 - All-Star Game Risers Team: S Corey Lynch (Appalachian State): Yes, there are two players from App State included here but not only because of their upset of Michigan early in the year. WR Dexter Jackson and Lynch should both get deserved praise for their play this post-season. The safety showed just about everything you'd want to see from a safety: the willingness and ability to quickly read and react in run support, the instincts and adequate speed to make plays on deep sideline passes, and exceptional special teams prowess-both as a kick blocker and in coverage. And he needed to make all of those plays because he won't be attending the Combine...for some unknown reason.

02/05/08 - Texas vs. The Nation Review: S Corey Lynch (Appalachian State)-In this game, quickly filled the hole in run support, also closed on the edge to pressure scrambling quarterback. Hustled from the opposite hash to the sideline to intercept a pass, albeit a weak one. Almost blocked a punt, which wasn't a surprise given his college career and multiple blocked field goals in practice. Also made good blocks on coverage units.

02/01/08 - Texas vs. the Nation Thursday Practice: On Wednesday's report, I was remiss in not mentioning how Corey Lynch displayed the knack for blocking punts his Appalachian State opponents feared. He blocked at least two, and could have had more if he didn't let up. He finds cracks in the interior line and wiggles through. In today's scrimmage, he proved himself able to quickly get towards the line to support the run as well as reaching the sideline to break up the deep ball.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Lisa

I'm on the same page with you, except I won't be surprised if they do go WR. They've drafted defense primarliy with their first picks the last few years, and getting the offense going is the number one priority this offseason particularly because of the division the skins play. Zorn will push for the WR he needs, let's see how Vinny handles that.

Posted by: marlonjohn | March 25, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Here you go,

Name: Josh Barrett (+) Coming off knee injury
College: Arizona State Number: 19
Height: 6-2 Weight: 223
Position: SS Pos2: FS/OLB
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.34 40 Low: 4.30 40 High: 4.43
Projected Round: 3 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 134 SS's 93 / 2541 TOT

03/12/08 - The Cleveland Browns do not have a selection until the 23rd pick of the fourth-round in the upcoming NFL draft, but that hasn't stopped the team from compiling a wish list of prospects to bring in for visits. Looking to shore up a questionable secondary, the team is prepared to take action. The Browns are expected to have Arizona State safety Josh Barrett in for a visit later this month. Barrett is an intriguing prospect with a rare combination of size, speed and overall athleticism. Many NFL scouts are comparing him to Washington Redskins rookie safety LaRon Landry, who the team selected with the sixth overall pick in the '07 draft. Not certain if Barrett will be around when it is time for the Browns to make their selection because he is en fuego. - Carlos Holmes, Dayton Daily News

02/27/08 - Arizona State safety Josh Barrett struggled with injuries and inconsistent play in 2007, even being benched during his senior year. His 4.35-second 40-yard dash and other excellent test results put him back on the map as a top 100 pick. It will have teams running back to that 2006 film where he got himself on the map at ASU as an honorable mention All-Pac-10 selection (82 tackles, seven for loss and three picks). The question is, which player will appear in training camp next summer? Other top safeties performed well, starting with Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski, who put up a solid 4.52 and showed fluid enough hips in drills to silence critics who believe he does not have the athleticism to play in the NFL. Quintin Demps from UTEP also backed up the closing speed he showed on tape with a 4.4 40. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

02/15/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: Safety Josh Barrett - A slew of injuries throughout the later years at Arizona State does not seem to be slowing down NFL scouts from taking a long look at the strong safety with plenty of upside because of his skills and knowledge for the game. He is still considered the sixth-best strong safety by NFLdraftscout.com, which says a lot after shoulder and knee problems last year.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

That guy Lynch sounds like he would be a beast on special teams, he might be worth a late round pick just for that.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

From Scouts.com

UPDATE MONDAY 9:43 AM EST

Two teams, the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins, are likely to select a receiver with size early in next month's draft, a league source told Scout.com.

Both have pre-draft visits set up with Michigan St. WR Devin Thomas who could sneak into the first round after posting solid performances at the NFL combine and his pro day.

Buffalo is looking for help opposite WR Lee Evans who consistently deals with double teams. Buffalo is also looking to improve their red zone passing game and they feel a receiver with size will help in that area. Another league source notes Buffalo considered selecting WR Craig Davis who wound up going off the board earlier than expected (No. 30 overall).

Buffalo brought in free agent Bryant Johnson, who is also a receiver with size, in for a visit a few weeks ago but declined to offer him a contract.

Washington hasn't been able to find a receiver with size in recent seasons who could play a significant role opposite veteran WR Santana Moss.

Washington had free agent WR D.J. Hackett, who has good size, in for a visit but only offered him a minimum salary deal.

Posted by: marlonjohn | March 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

km, you're the man.

Thats a guy that might be worth a 3rd round pick. I like that he carries 223, but ran a 4.3. Don't get me wrong, I think Doughty did more than an admirable job last year when he was thrust into the starting lineup, but this guy has a world of potential.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

After reading the above comments, I have, once again, come to believe I have nothing of value to add to this blog. Like Jason Campbell, I might not be smart enough to compete at this level.

You all are some serious football brainiacs. Thanks for the diligence, always an interesting read; informative and entertaining.

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

podspeak, I should caution you that when you meet up with us fellow Portlanders, we will probably not live up to the "brainiac," "interesting," and "informative" characterization you cite. Entertaining, yep, you betcha.

I guess Stumped is pretty clever, in his way. But most of our brain power is focused on finding beer. Mmmm, beer.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I am gonna continue to be patient but not resigning Caldwell is stupid to me. Right now we only have 2 WR's who are guaranteed a roster spot, one of which has had injury problems ever since 2005. Seems like a gamble to be banking on the no injuries, the potential of Mix and whichever rookie we draft to make the west coast offense work.

Posted by: cdubb | March 25, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

KM, thanks for the stats. Lynch would be a nice pick if he's still there late. Kind of like Reed Doughty, but I think Lunch is better. From the one game I saw him play in anyway.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Zack Bolno. You now have the worst job in the world.

Good like with all that.

Posted by: thediesel | March 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I mean Lynch is better.....lunch is always good

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

we are very thin at receiver now. very very thin.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 25, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep...

Posted by: Papken28 | March 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I could be wrong, but didn't Laws run a sub-5 40?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 01:32 PM

He ran right at 5 and had very good times in the shuttle, long jump, high jump, and bench. He is generally praised as one of the top DT's in the draft.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 25, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

JLC:

While delineating the ties between Fabini and Parcells, you forgot to mention Parcells cutting him loose from the Cowboys so that he was available for the Redskins to sign.

Just saying that maybe going to Miami and trying to make the Dolphins wasn't such a great deal to Fabini compared to the opportunity to extend his career in Washington, where he felt appreciated for his efforts last year.

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | March 25, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse