Spags Still In Town

As of 2:15, in real time, as I write this, league sources say that Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo is still in town interviewing for the Redskins head coaching job at owner Daniel Snyder's mansion. The sides began talking face-to-face last evening and Spagnuolo spent the night in a guest house on Snyder's property, as expected. The interview could continue for a while if necessary, as neither side has a pressing need to do anything else at this point.

Things are moving well and harmonious, sources said, and several sources close to the candidates believe that Snyder could make a decision tonight and begin the negotiating process, with a press conference possible Thursday or Friday. A source close to Steve Mariucci said today that the coach remains in the mix, and was given a courtesy phone call, while sources close to Jim Fassel, Spagnuolo and Ron Meeks said they do not believe Mariucci to be as much of a threat as the other candidates.

Until Snyder makes up his mind, no one will know for sure.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 6, 2008; 2:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meet Mrs. Spags
Next: Spags and Williams

Comments

first?

Posted by: baldinga | February 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Rate the Men Sports Commentators

NATIONAL

Kenny Albert
Simply the best --- goes for his entire family.

Joe Buck
Very good broadcaster.
Now, if only he would replace his partner ...

Chris Berman
A clown.
No one is more deserving of a good firing than this idiot.
There is no place in legitimate sports for his asinine sound effects, nicknaming, and pseudo play-by-play.
Cartoons = yes. Legitimate sports show= no.
Can't watch anything where his face pops up.

Michael Irving
No one was more deserving of a good firing than this idiot.
Good riddance.

Troy Aikman
Can't stand him. Condescending. Whiney, southern voice.
Overstates the obvious, "the Giants played good defense on that series" --- duh, we know Troy.
I am so tired of hearing this guy start every analysis with some trite phrase, "you know ... or "well ..." or whatever.
Now, whenever he's on a Redskins broadcast, I'm watching the TV with no volume while simulcasting with the Radio. Problem is the radio signal is a full 1 to 2 seconds ahead of the TV signal so I always know what's coming. Oh, well. He's assigned to Redskin broadcasts way too much. Please go away. Please. Did I say I can't stand him? I can't stand him!

VERY GOOD CATEGORY
Bob Costas, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Brian Baldinger, Ronnie Lott, James Brown, Terry Bradshaw

PASSABLE CATEGORY
Jim Rome, Dick Stockton, Daryl Johnston, Howie Long

BARELY PASSABLE CATEGORY
Bill Maas, Tony Siragusa, Chris Carter

AWFUL CATEGORY
Cris Collinsworth, Jimmy Johnson, Jillian Barberie, Dan Marino

DC AREA

Brent Harris
Michael Jenkins
David Lee
Chris Miller
All pretty good --- no complaints. Well, maybe Brent Harris should be televised only into the Baltimore market.

Chick Hernandez
Absolutely awful. Mr. "Mumbles" --- tries too hard to be a sophisticated broadcaster, fluctuating his voice volume up and down (for emphasis supposedly) to the point where you can't hear half of what he says, much less the point he's trying to make --- terrible management at Comcast for letting this guy's on-air idiocy continue without trying to help him --- for heaven's sake Comcast, mentor the guy or pull him aside and tell him point blank his delivery sucks --- BTW all good reasons why Sports5 let him go.

George Michael
Wow! I can't even critique this guy. I don't know if he's good or bad. Where would you start? Overbearing, bossy, knowledgeable, humble (at times), great presentation. I guess I like him.

Russ Thaler
20-year-old-looking Mr. Fat Face, with a GREAT BIG Mr. Boss Man steamroller delivery. Once he starts talking, he's hard to stop. I never heard a broadcaster cram so many words into a single sentence in my whole life. I guess he's OK. Marginal, though.

Dan Hellie
Don't know. Never watch him, or Sports 4. I'm scared to death I might catch a glimpse of that "thing" with that huge, wall-to-wall smile, chemically enhanced white teeth, and gobs of makeup, uggggg.

Tim Brandt
Awful

Brett Harris & Levan Reid
Brett = awful
Levan = awful and scary

Posted by: bestmick1 | February 6, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

3rd!?

Posted by: saltynuts | February 6, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

An email from a friend to look at cap shti

****************************
PCin OZ explains What I think should happen

Those players released after June 1, 2008 will nett us cap savings in 2008 that we could'nt use on acquiring players at that time of the offseason but will leave us with a carried forward dead cap problem in 2009. So we manipulate contracts to add loophole LTBE incentives for 2008 to "use up" all that space (but will never be earned), and when they go unearned will result in our cap number for 2009 being adjusted upwards with the associated cap credits. This would help offset those dead cap carryovers.

Release/Trade Pre-June 1 2008
Daniels
Washington
Griffin
Springs
Thrash
savings = $10.2m
together with guaranteeing the roster bonuses would get us comfortably under the cap, to allow for drafting rookies and signing a few young upcoming FA's with cap friendly deals in 2008

Release/Trade Post June 1 2008
Lloyd
Jansen
savings in 2008 = $7.4m
dead cap hit in 2009 = $12.1
LTBE incentive loophole = $7.4m resulting in cap credit in 2009

2009
Gaurantee the roster bonuses again

By doing all this - and using the current roster of players as the basis - we would be nearly $20m under the NFL non-adjusted cap going into the 2009 offseason, and after the $7.4m in cap credits from 2008 adjusts our cap number upwards, we could be close to $27.4m under. The contracts of any FA's we would sign in 2008 - including our own - would bring this number down as would rookie signings in 2008.

While those numbers are somewhat artificial because of the number of players its based on, its still a nice base from which to build a winning team over a long period of time...............and with current high priced players like Portis, Samuels, Thomas. Moss, Randle El and Carter still on the roster and not having to play cap contorsion every year.

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 02:13 PM

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

mick, i used to think the same thing about the obviousness of some of the broadcasters comments. But then I realized not as astue football people watch these games.

I cant stand maddens voice, but he gives insight no one does. Same for Jaws

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is a sign of no Fassel. (if so I am going to jump up and down on top of my desk) No to Fassel!

Posted by: jm220 | February 6, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm smelling 6-10. For years to come.

You can't tell me Blache and Zorn don't have a preference in the search. This thing is going to look like roses for a few weeks after the announcement.

And then its going to start to splinter ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 6, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

If you are going to hire Spags based upon his success with the Gmen, then he will have to bring his own defensive staff. Why hire a guy for what he is good at and not let him have say in that part of the team.

Maybe that is what snyder is thinking. He had to let gg go b/c of pressure to allow him to seek another position, but he just promoted blache since he was the next in house guy. No one knocking down his door.

So if we hire spags, they better let him bring in his guys and his D

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow Zebra, you want to trade or release a 3rd of our defense. I can definately see letting Daniels go for age reasons. Maybe even Springs. But Griffin and Washington. They're a big reason we had a good run defense.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Barno is also an annogram for BONAR...

Posted by: Tyler84101 | February 6, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Is Spags' wife in the guest house cooking up some baked goods? The Danny may pack on a few pounds if her banana cake and bread pudding are as good as the Newark Star-Ledger says. The upside, of course, is she could give Mr. Snyder a new do that balances out any waistline spread he gets from her cookies.

Posted by: slimyoung | February 6, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Enter the dancing bear on a uni-cycle.

ArtMonkToTheSticks

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | February 6, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Lets also be honest, no one is trading for ANY of those players. The cap hit would be huge to the Redskins and its just foolish to even think about.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 6, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Not me sc, some guy emailed my friend who emailed me. Just passing along the 'theory'. I def dont agree with washington, but I think a case could be made for every other single one.

Remember, we are never in cap hell b/c player keep changing their contracts. Now that Danny didnt listen to their wants, do you think they are going to keep giving up money to help the team out?

We may finally see that cap hell if we dont get people to resign, b/c we would have to cut them and take hits now, or keep the core of high priced players and not be able to afford upgrades or depth players.

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Zebra, that is 5 starters you are letting go. And 2 more young starters from last season that won't be ready to go -- Rocky and Rogers. I'm not really disagreeing. Just pointing out that there are a lot of holes to fill.

Many people have noted how at the end of last year the roster depth came thru. But it was very very thin at that point.

Getting rid of starters to deal with the cap may seem like a good idea, but the depth issue will be a tricky one yet again.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 6, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

JustMe, I know you're out there ... thx for the Ray Brown tidbit.

From this thread, its sounds like "not so fresh" on Jim Schwartz. Numbers-wise during the regular season, the Titans had a better overall defense (#5) than the Giants (and the Colts were actually better than both at #3).

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Dont think it should say trade cause the narrative says release pre/post june 1 greg88.

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

AMTTS, I still say you should update that moniker. AMTTHOF sounds really good to me.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 6, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Zebra. Let's also not forget that those spots would have to be filled. That costs $

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Chris Berman ... No one is more deserving of a good firing than this idiot. ... Michael Irvin ... No one was more deserving of a good firing than this idiot."

bestmick, I sense a discrepancy here.

Also, best local commentator, by a lot, is Sonny Jurgensen. He's like Madden without the misfires.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't understand why you would want spags over fassel. Sure, it should be Williams; but spags is your typical Snyder hire. As least Fassel is a semi-accomplished HC, and not just some chick who's hot only because you got beer goggles on.

Posted by: daaasaggese | February 6, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Griffs hole does need to be filled. Washingtons would. Daniels only played half the snaps this year, but if we are drafting DE, then maybe that is our starter.

Jansen was hurt all year, trash didnt do much and we all know about Lloyd.

Springs is one we would need to replace, maybe via the draft maybe FA.

Again, I dont know how solid the numbers are, just something to talk about while we ITA barno

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 02:35 PM

I don't know how much money they're actually giving up. A lot of that money is converted to bonuses.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Until Snyder makes up his mind, no one will know for sure.

And even then, there will be doubt.

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Zebraskins, Spags walked into the Giants franchise and worked with the coaches ALREADY ASSEMBLED there.

No biggie for him to adapt and work with our coaches - who know OUR players.

Posted by: Lisa | February 6, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daaasaggese | February 6, 2008 02:40 PM

Which 'you' are you talking to?

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Based on the positions targeted in the last couple drafts (Montgomery, Golsten, Blades, Sartz), I imagine that there has been a dry erase board at the Park for a while now that has the names of Cornelius and Marcus under the column that says "2008 cuts".

The Blades/Sartz picks were themselves mulligans on McCune and Kevin Simon.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am happy to be moving to Seattle. I can adopt a new team after so many years of mediocrity and because when Fassel is announced, I will be filled with the urge to vomit knowing two things. In two years down the road, we will be searching for another coach and we will be in for two more years of rebuiling.

Posted by: erthdog | February 6, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

From Wickipedia:
In early 2000, while serving as the CEO of Halliburton, Cheney headed George W. Bush's vice-presidential search committee. On July 25, after reviewing Cheney's findings, Bush surprised some pundits by asking Cheney himself to join the Republican ticket.[11]

Coach Vinny?

Posted by: Alan4 | February 6, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Timeout for an update: 160,684 comments.

Posted by: TheCindy | February 6, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm neither pro-Fassel nor anti-Fassel. He's had some time off and the majority (eight?) of the teams in the playoffs had retread coaches. Re: Grilliams body of work in Buffalo, I was already willing to give him a mulligan (using that word TWICE in the same thread! damb!). Whoever the new head coach is is going to have a real hard time. Plenty of mouth music about "continuity," but make no mistake, no one should expect this transition to be seamless. This is still going to be a rebuilding year (again).

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: erthdog | February 6, 2008 02:46 PM

That's what bandwagon jumping is all about. Then when you get there you can claim that you liked the Seahawks since you were little.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

BURN!!!

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 6, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hell, why not just say that you've always been a Giants fan.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I've always been an oscillating fan.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I prefer a box fan

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

bestmick has single-handedly (while typing with two hands I hope) contributed more with his two posts today than I have all season.

I HATE chick hernandez... I hate him so much I won't even put capital letters in his name.

Tony Siragusa's category was too high... he's a younger, hungrier John Madden in my book.

Still disagree with the LC stance.

Way to bring it.

I abide.

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I'm as happy as they come. Great job. Great fam. Great woman. And lots of free time. And, in case you haven't noticed it yet, I'm one of those people who could not possibly care less what others think of me. Life is way too short. And thus I like to think I speak my mind freely and without inhibition.

But, it's become plainly evident that I lost you as a barno fan recently. I could be totally wrong about why I think that is, but my instinct tells me it was right around the time I started making my political beliefs on certain issues known on this blog, i.e. the Rooney Rule/Affirmative Action etc. (Let me take a wild guess: You are not a conservative Republican) And if that is indeed the case, that is unfortunate.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

So Barno old chap, who is your doawg in the race?

Posted by: chrislarry | February 6, 2008 02:21 PM

McCain has been my top dawg from the get go. He is right on immigration, right on the war on terror/war in iraq, right on a host of social issues, and perhaps above all, he is someone I can trust.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The logic behind Snyder-bashing posts:

I hate it if it's:

1. An idea or action of Dan Snyder

2. A coaching search that isn't over after two days

3. Anything he has ever done

Seriously, for all of the grief you guys give Barno over his JLa bashing, you sure do bash Snyder constantly in the same exact manner.

Posted by: -swb | February 6, 2008 02:24 PM

Great point. Thanks...

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Like everyone here, I'm annoyed that Williams was let go and that Fassel is even under consideration. However, I will say this: As a New Yorker, I'm well aware of what Fassel brings to the table: when his team is mediocre, they always seem to end up 7-9. When the team is motivated, they can peak around 12-4. I guess the old adage, "when you're good, your good" holds true...
Oh, and to Fassel's credit, he did win with Kerry Collins...yes, THE Kerry Collins! And he is excellent in December. The Giants (in their best years) were superb at season's end. Remind you of anyone?

Posted by: skinsnyc26 | February 6, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

barno.....i know yer politics (gag me) I meant your dawg for HC.....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 6, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that John McCain hates heavy metal music.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Question:

Does anyone think that Lloyd will be given a second chance by the new coach? He is a talented guy, not that I agree with his antics but who knows. He has the tools, maybe another coach will be able to use him.

Posted by: sams3 | February 6, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that John McCain also hates paking lots.

Posted by: sams3 | February 6, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

just realized CL was talking about the head coaching race. I really don't have a dog in this race. I would've been happy with Gregg Williams and I mistakenly thought that he would get the job.

The only man for the job I would be totally comfortable with is no longer a possibility. Why didn't you wake me up before you go-go'd Joe? Why!

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

f lloyd,

his WR coach is the same, and also I don't think the players like him...

Plus its Danny's team and I think he really doesn't like him...addition by subtraction...i would rather see Mix get a shot....

again...

F Lloyd

Posted by: chrislarry | February 6, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

someone please mark this day down in RI History...Barno admits mistake!

wow...just wow!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 6, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Like drinking and driving, Heavy Metal Parking Lot and Wham! don't mix.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

No biggie for him to adapt and work with our coaches - who know OUR players.

Posted by: Lisa | February 6, 2008 02:42 PM

Thank you.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 6, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

sams3, no, never, nyet, not a chance, not going to happen. He's a POS on the field and off of it. Good riddance.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 6, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd hasn't even proven that he has talent over the last 2 years. He had what, 1 or 2 (don't know his history admittedly) decent seasons with the niners?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 6, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree that the Redskins can only hire Spagnuolo if he's allowed to bring in his own defensive staff. Blache is a top notch assistant with experience in multiple systems, and I don't think a head coach needs to be surrounded by cronies to be successful. Look at the success Gruden had when he went to Tampa. He inherited a staff full of Dungy's assistants, and won the super bowl his first year. To me, Spaguolo is the obvious choice, with Meeks a close second and Fassel and Mariucci distant specks in the rearview mirror.

Posted by: billyrich | February 6, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sams3 | February 6, 2008 03:07 PM

I hope they give him another look, because he does have the tools. And it did cost a lot to get him. Without Gibbs at the top, I don't know how important it will be to have "character guys" anymore.

That said, it's hard to overlook Lloyd's lack of effort on the field. Randle El came at the same time under nearly identical circumstances and produced. Riggins proved you can kind of do your own thing off the field under Gibbs, as long as you bring it on Sundays.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 6, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

i think i disagree with about 90% of the commentator/analyst ratings above.

the absolute top-notch commentator (even though he doesn't do it much anymore): chris berman. nobody brings more excitement to a sporting event than he does. he makes baseball seem exciting (and that's difficult to do).

bottom-rung commentator: joe buck. pompous, arrogant, full of himself. he has that "i'm cooler than all of you" type of arrogance without any of the substance. can't stand him in the booth, and it's even worse when i see him trying to make a joke in a commercial. just awful.

best analyst: chris collinsworth. nobody is cleaner and more articulate to go along with football intelligence. he may be very anti-redskins and pro-patriots, but he calls it like he sees it.

honorable mention as analysts: troy aikman. aikman may be boring, but he brings substance like no other analyst out there. he actually analyzes the game as its happening, and doesn't just repeat what happened.

worst analyst: tony kornheiser. brings absolutely zero insight into any on-field topic. he may be funny when he argues with wilbon, but i'm convinced he has absolutely no inherent knowledge of any sport out there. i would not take sporting advice from tony kornheiser if my life depended on it.

Posted by: psps23 | February 6, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that John McCain hates pie.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

CL,

I admit mistakes all the time. Lord knows I make plenty of 'em, partially because I give my opinion on so many topics.

I was wrong about Gregg Williams getting the job, just like I was wrong that Nick Novak would be the kicker of the future for the Redskins.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

C'mon sing it with me, "Barno sux, Barno Sux"

Posted by: m2tayls | February 6, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd definitely needs another chance. Uncle Depends Coach Joe held him back. His first year, crapass Brunell had tunnel vision for Moss or then Cooley or threw it out of bounds.

And loser Gibbs blamed Lloyd for lack of production as a scape goat. Look at David Patten, didn't do anything here for the same reasons and then goes to New Orleans and put up numbers.
games ca yds avg TDs
16 54 792 14.7 3

It's obvious he could play but our lame coach and QB sucked.

Posted by: redskins0and16 | February 6, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He's here giving lessons:

"OK Dan,

Each team has 11 men on the field. This here is a football. The object of the game is...what?

No, stop interrupting--it's not to be the most profitable franchise in all of sports..."

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was interesting, from the City Paper about Snyder his lackey's over at Extreme Skins. Thought you RI folks might like it...

Posted by: rawk | February 6, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

games ca yds avg TDs
16 54 792 14.7 3

It's obvious he could play but our lame coach and QB sucked.

Posted by: redskins0and16

Oh no you did-hint. Go look at the Art Monk in the HOF website. See if Lloyd had done anything in two years that looks like Art Monk in the least.

Patten did some good things before he came here and was not driven out like the Lloyd will be.

Posted by: mul | February 6, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The logic behind Snyder-bashing posts:

I hate it if it's:

1. An idea or action of Dan Snyder

2. A coaching search that isn't over after two days

3. Anything he has ever done

It's not a bad point but:

This is JLa's blog and started as JLa's blog. If Danny started an NFL team tomorrow then I wouldn't show up at the games and whine about how much I hate the team. Danny bought a team I already loved and Danny has ruined it. Had JLa taken over say Les Carpenter's blog then I could cut Barno some slack for bemoaning the decline of a blog he once loved.

Either way Barno comes on to the blog and complains about the qaulity of both it's author and inhabitants. It would be like having a roommate who watching soap operas everyday compaining about how bad they are. Wouldn't you have the right to tell him to change the channel or kindly STFU?

Posted by: Skinz | February 6, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it as a lifelong Redskins fan, but I have to rank Troy Aikman towards the top of the commentator scale. Lots of substance and calls a good game. And he definitely went way up in my book when he showed up at Fenway Park last year with his family, decked out in full Red Sox apparel.

Can't stand Cris Collinsworth. He's the worst in my book. Quick to judge and full of hyperbole. I remember a few years ago when Patrick Ramsey missed a pass for a two-point conversion in a loss to Philadelphia, and Collinsworth said "That's like missing a six-inch putt!" Well, I guess maybe, if a bunch of 300 pound linemen are in full blitz trying to kill you at the time you're attempting to hole out.

Posted by: billyrich | February 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Skinz makes the point of the day.

Watching ESPN while I get a quick bite to eat and looking at all the hoopla over Roger Clemens. If only the media had questioned with equal zeal the appointment of an Arabian Horse Judge to head disaster response in this country.

As for the politics thing...I am a true fiscal conservative, which is why I'm no longer a Republican.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Why Brandon Lloyd Represents Everything that is Wrong with the Redskins

If this article is accurate, there will be no more chances for FLloyd. If he was brought here because Weird Al wanted him (along with his other obvious issues), he will certainly be dismissed.

Posted by: JustMe | February 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

From above

Spags would be "typical Snyder move"

Yes that is correct Snyder does not change. He has reverence for players and coaches he saw as a kid. None for the new ones.

Like a stupid monkey he changes positions in the tree and grabs for something shinny.(I have nothing to back that up with except the last 9 freeking years of Jeff George and Ice Cream)

When does lent start, is it today? If he gets Spags with some real power I will give up bashing Snyder for lent.

Posted by: mul | February 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

If Lloyd cared half as much about the REdskins as he does with his "RAP" career then he may be an asset to the team. He is getting paid and it seems like that's all he cares about to finance his album. Great talent but I just don't think he really cares about football which is a shame

Posted by: greg_hughes90 | February 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the Seahawks blogs are all atwitter with talks of continuity. How quaint.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

If only Joe Morgan commentated on the NFL...

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I am a true fiscal conservative, which is why I'm no longer a Republican.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 03:40 PM

You get my award for point of the last 8 years. Where have you gone Barry Goldwater.

Posted by: Skinz | February 6, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 03:08 PM

Barno,

My question to you from ~1 week ago still stands

JLa's initial gut feeling was that Dan Snyder wasn't going to hire Greg Williams. While the HC job isn't going to the guy JLa thought Snyder was going to land (Bill Cowher), wasn't JLa at least partially right about this?

Isn't he more than partially correct since what may have blocked the Cowher hire was Cohwer's rebuffing of Dan's initial advances?

Adam

Posted by: argh | February 6, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Love this article:

Particularly love the bit about a game being called because of a rodeo. Hockey is such a seventh-rate sport, you could totally see that happening.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Of all the people up here (except for LongAndFoster, of course), JLaC is the only one who is at Redskins Park and talking to real, live players and coaches affected by this. I'm going to trust the guy with the sources as opposed to random people on the Internet. For all I know, all of you people are really 57 year old men in your mother's basements and only pretending to be 13 year old girls up here.

Gotta run, my mom is calling.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

uh...what about Bryant Gumbel?

Any of male sportscasters mentioned--whether annoying, boring, former Cowboys, or prone to exaggeration--at least those guys can be loosely described as competant.

BG calls the wrong players' names, the wrong plays, mispronounces everything, and generally sounds like he just learned about this thing called football sometime last week.

*I* could call a better football game than he does. And I'm pretty sure I'd stink up the joint.

Posted by: redskirt | February 6, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

John McCain hates Rush Limbaugh and Jim Fassel.

He also strongly dislikes the announcing of Joe Buck and Ian Eagle.

Oddly enough he loves the radio duo of Larry Michael and Bram Weinstein

Posted by: skinsfan1234 | February 6, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sam Rosen and Tim Ryan are my favorites. Ryan actually takes the time to explain blocking and rush schemes, and generally acts like he loves the game and knows what he's talking about.

I don't mind Aikman so much, and Joe Buck has a quirky sense of humor that I can appreciate.

For pure nostalgia's sake, when the game is good, I still love John Madden. If the game stinks, so does Madden. And Al Michaels is the gold standard, in my opinion.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we should get Chris Matthews on Redskins radio.

Lets play hard ball!!

Posted by: mul | February 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Lindsey Czarniack is the single best sports-related broadcasting talent in the USA. Best part is, you can simply press mute if you don't like what she has to say (she's just as good as any local talent - good combo with Dan) and still stare. ;) heh heh Smokin hot sports babe, and that's all there is too it.

Posted by: OldManGibbs | February 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

On the male commentators, what's with the lack of love for Emmitt Smith?

Also, mul, lay off monkeys. I love monkeys.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there are some Brandon Lloyd apologists. No matter the circumstances having the worst statistical season ever for a starting WR is inexcusable. Just as was the effort on that pass in the first game against Miami that got picked. He is a worthless POS and soon will get his wish of being in a recording studio.

Posted by: cdubb | February 6, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I am in love with Lindsey Czarniack. It's true love. The kind of love that knows no bounds.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that John McCain hates puppies and Hornitos.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

redskins0and16, blaming Joe Gibbs' coaching for Brandon Lloyd's performance. Wow ... just wow. Are you one of those peeps like barno or jvwilson who like to post on message boards just to get everyone's blood all angried up?

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

just read that city paper thing. Little Prick Danny lost a hundred million dollars in a short period of time. Hmmmmm......

I wish there was a way he could lose the Redskins..

Posted by: redskins0and16 | February 6, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

listened to Bram Weinstein's interview with The Danny today on Redskins Radio and while it didn't offer much in the way of new info (no surprise there!), Snyder did say he's spoken with both Holmgren and Tony Dungy during this lengthy "due diligence" phase of his interview process.

That info led to some speculation by Bram about what, exactly, he was talking to those guys about (obviously, the both had coordinators in Snyder's horse race, but Bram wondered if maybe there was more to both of those conversations)

If Dan Snyder is picking the brains of the likes of Dungy and Holmgren, that, at least for me, makes the future look/feel a tiny bit better. At least he's talking to some of the more knowledgeable folks in the league during this process. Every little bit of reputable football intelligence, hopefully, will make Dan Snyder a better owner going forward.

For what it's worth, I LOVE Collinsworth...think he's the best in the game. And of the talk radio dudes, Doc Walker is the best in my opinion, and that idiot Colin Cowherd is the absolute lowest of the low. The things he said about ST after his death were simply unconscionable!

Posted by: mommyskinsfan | February 6, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween |

I am just saying Lloyd hasn't had enough touches or looks to truly know what he can do.

Posted by: redskins0and16 | February 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I heard that, too, Smack. I also heard he was a Cowboys fan. And, he lives in his mother's basement and posts on blogs.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Skinz,

The very premise for your argument is wrong--that this is JLC's blog. This is a REDSKINS blog, not Jason la Canfora's blog. You may have noticed the blurb about the blog in his article in the Post a week or so ago which didn't even refer to it as his blog. It is a Redskins blog that fellow beat reporter Jason Reid, editors like Cindy Boren, and others contribute to. And this blog will likely exist long after Jason La Canfora no longer covers the Redskins.

But since you brought up this point, then this question begs to be asked of you: If my comments bother you so much, why do you bother to read them?

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

skins0-16, OK, but as a guy who desperately wanted for Lloyd to pull himself up by his laces all season (and taking some mild abuse about it up here), I felt it was fair to quit on the guy when he quit on the team ... I don't remember which game it was, but he was in the end zone, got picked, and made NO effort to stop the defender taking the ball in the other direction. [Was that Miami? If so, I acknowledge my overstatement about "all season").

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sween, I'm with you! I love Emmitt!!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs just rang the closing bell at the NYSE. For a minute I thought JGR was going public, but apparently it has something to do with commemorating black history month. (JGR's 17-year old development driver is african american.)

Posted by: RambleOn | February 6, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sween, my man, that is not why I post on this message board.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

john mccain hates barno

Posted by: f_smoot27 | February 6, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I sort of miss the DAN-BOTs they are gone, now awaiting orders to come back just in case Dan does something "Snyder'ish".

I wonder what Dan smells like in 73 degree weather, in Feb., along the river.

Live interview

Q. So Spags do you believe what those a** holes say about me on RI.

A. Well ..........

Q. What would you do if I sent you some ice cream.

A. Umm...........

Q. Will you tell Jla to stop being mean to me.

A. Sure but he is only 26.

Q. How would you like to be payed in Six Flags stock.

A. Would I ever!

Posted by: mul | February 6, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"... This is a REDSKINS blog, not Jason la Canfora's blog. ..."

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 04:06 PM

And if by REDSKINS, you mean Washington Post, I agree. Pay no attention to the photograph in the upper left hand corner or the by-line; this blog belongs to the bloggers who have wasted countless thousands of hours posting up here. Esp., with beer.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskins0and16 | February 6, 2008 04:02 PM

Coaches gave this guy touches every day in practice. First as the number two receiver and, when he couldn't handle that, as the number three receiver. Coaches had a lot on the line -- they'd selected him -- and they wanted him to succeed. That dog had more chances than he deserved, and he couldn't or wouldn't produce. Let's see how he does next year, if he's on anybody's roster.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 6, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 03:40 PM

Puff Daddy, In case you haven't noticed (and that's not a given, consider you're the same guy who apparently thinks the global warming debate is about whether the temperature is actually going up or not), there is a war going on. You think wars are cheap? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a little hard for a president to appear to be a fiscal conservative when the country is at war.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

john mccain hates barno

Posted by: f_smoot27 | February 6, 2008 04:09 PM

I beg to differ.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he should have thought of that before he went to war.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 6, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

OK, I personally can't stand seeing Joe Gibbs doing anything NASCAR-related. I thought he was retiring to spend more time with his family? He sure has been out there on the NASCAR circuit something fierce since news of his retirement.

Seems like he pulled out of dodge without looking in the rearview to me...see ya later, Danny! I think he'd just had enough of all the drama here and decided to play the "family card" to get out of his last contractual year. How else to explain his sudden NASCAR visibility?

If I were the players at Redskins Park, I'd be pretty peeved about now...

Posted by: mommyskinsfan | February 6, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

take the politics elsewhere. this is one last special place reserved for football and general dumb-assery...

seriously, you all wanna talk politics, there are millions of other places for you to find people to annoy.

Posted by: f_smoot27 | February 6, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, can we PLEASE start talking about religion!

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

save me, jebus!

Posted by: f_smoot27 | February 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

mommy, I could be wrong but I believe you're jumping the gun on Gibbs. His shop is close to his house if I recall, down in North Carolina. Not to mention that his Nascar committments as far as hours go, pales in comparison with sleeping in his office, and staying up til 3 am.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 6, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Religion, a subject I can join in on! Here's where I pray!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow, my world is about to come to an abrupt halt. Starbucks will no longer be selling those breakfast sandwiches. Next time I see Howard Schultz, I'm going to give him an Egg McMuffin.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching a little old lady here at Starbucks as she works on her crossword puzzle.

"Five letter word for annoying jackass"?

Hmmmm. "S-N-Y-D-E-R" doesn't fit.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

PDiddy,

Has anyone asked you if you are going to change your User ID to "SeanJohn" now that the real PDiddy is changing his again?

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 6, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Adam

Posted by: argh | February 6, 2008 03:45 PM

I saw this question when you first wrote it and decided I wanted to wait until the process was finalized and a coach was hired before I responded. Well, on the one hand, Jason gave us over a dozen different possibilities, so if one or two of them turned out to be right, then technically he'd be "partially right."

But the biggest beef I had with his comments on the coaching search was the very first one he gave, in which he said:

""Snyder is not gonna give the head coaching job to someone that doesn't have that big name, that sex appeal, who is not going to help him sell club level seats, and expensive suites."

I thought this was just about as ridiculous a comment as I've ever come across. And continue to think this comment tells us far more about Jason than it does about Snyder.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 04:13 PM
I used to think you were just being contrarian to stir the pot. Now I think I've got you figured out. The bait about global warming and then the idea that we run a deficit because of the war.... uhhg.

Please feel free to expouse your ideas, it is after your right. Just please don't do it under the flag of conservatism or republicanism. No really, I'm pleading don't.

Posted by: Skinz | February 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

d-i-d-d-y? b-a-r-n-o?

kidding. ** hugs **

s-w-e-e-n

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Love it, sween! :-)

I've been pondering changing my screen name, but as an original poster up here, I figured I would just stick to what I got so as not to confuse the aliens who eventually unearth this blog 400 years after President Jenna Bush's accidental nucular apocalypse destroys the planet.

It's just us and the cockroaches, ladies and gents.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mommyskinsfan | February 6, 2008 04:16 PM

I think you're too harsh on Joe Gibbs. If he worked 20 hours a day for NASCAR that would still be less than he was working for the Redskins. And now that he no longer works for the Redskins, he lives with his family. You can't underestimate how important that is in his life and their lives.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 6, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

To all you brandon lloyd apologists - it's not a matter of him not getting enough looks or touches. That was completely under his control - had he ever gotten open, he would have had his share. He's just a poor excuse for a wideout who can't beat coverage, that's his problem.

Posted by: OldManGibbs | February 6, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

i am not saying spags, should he get the job, won't turn out to be a good pick. who knows. but i don't get how this makes any sense. the guy snyder retained to run the D is reported to be a hard a--, though respected by the players. ok, good. but then why are we talking about a HC from the defensive side? Zorn may turn out fine, but he has never run an offense before. doesn't this seem like the HC needs to come from the offensive side? and that leads me to...fassel. good lord.

Posted by: erikgreenberger | February 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Skinz,

No bait, I just responded to a negative opinion--I believe it was Redcoat's--about the Simpsons movie. I responded by referring to the movie as "unfunny" and said it seemed to be more about furthering the agenda of the "Global Warming crowd" than anything else. I really didn't like the movie.

To which Puff Daddy later responded that I implied global warming doesn't exist. In my opinion, this tells me Puff is an intellectual lightweight. If he thinks the global warming debate is about whether the temperature is rising or not, then it appears he doesn't pay much attention to the issues for which he opines on.

But no, I wasn't trying to bait anyone with my off the cuff comment about the Simpsons movie.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

OldManGibbs, in fairness to accuracy, during the 2006 season, when Brunell was QB, BOTH Lloyd and Randel El were open all the time. They just were not inhabiting the dunk zone.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Peter Clayton now reports that Spags is the leading candidate to become the Redskin's coach. He also reports that Jim Fassell was spotted outside of Dan Snyder's mansion yelling obscenities towards the boy owner and talking on his cell phone.

Posted by: jimwell | February 6, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he should have thought of that before he went to war.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 6, 2008 04:15 PM

wow, just wow

Posted by: Forrest | February 6, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"To which Puff Daddy later responded that I implied global warming doesn't exist."

"If he thinks the global warming debate is about whether the temperature is rising or not..."

What about the first statement gets you to conclude that PDiddy thinks the debate "is about whether the temperature is rising or not"?

Posted by: psps23 | February 6, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

AHHHH! Something FOOTBALL-RELATED is happening TOMORROW and it just snuck up on us! Tomorrow is the first day of franchise taggery.

Per profootballtalk ...

"Schefter reports that, based on talk in league circles, the following players could be franchised in the next two weeks: Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Panthers tackle Jordan Gross, Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Patriots receiver Randy Moss, and Seahawks cornerback Marcus Trufant. ... Other potential tag-wearers include Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen and Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs."

This is GOOD for the Skins (b/c Schefter's dope is usually clean) b/c missing from that list are ... Nnamdi Asomugha and Antwan Odom ... please please please Skins (guys reading this site for Vinny, please take note) please avoid Asante Samuel. He is as good as he is b/c the Pats' D around him makes him look good. I don't deny that he is VERY good, but he is NOT Nate Clements good. Asomugha is better than Nate Clements ... but the stats don't show it b/c any team who watches film knows not to throw to him. He is Shawn Springs, but much younger.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"Peter Clayton now reports that ..."

Posted by: jimwell | February 6, 2008 04:37 PM

Peter Clayton? Don't you mean Eric Clapton?

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Alright Barno we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's a moot point anyway. The tax rebate will solve all our economic ills.

Diddy,

You weren't kidding about breakfast sandwiches. My fridays just got a little greyer, a coffee and scone just won't be the same....

Posted by: Skinz | February 6, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The original premise of JLaC's statement about "Mr." Snyder wanting the plashy hire still applies. We now know that he approached Cowher and Carroll and was rebuffed. We know that the two remaining big fish, Fassel and Mariucci are in the running. The only guy not mentioned is Dennis Green. And he was probably ruled out after his interview in 2004.

So, yes, "Mr." Snyder is STILL going after the plashy hire.

The problem is that the big fish are a) few and far between after years of the NFL equivalent of inbreeding (recycled hires) and b) too smart to work for an arrogant jerk who doesn't treat his employees with respect. This leaves the obscure assistant, a la Tomlin or Del Rio. Maybe "Mr." Snyder (and this would be to his credit) doesn't trust himself to trust an obscure assistant to come into his own.

I would be impressed if "Mr." Snyder chose Meeks or Spags. And then I'd be on the lookout for ice cream/plasma TV incidents. Because a man's past history generally portends his future actions.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

dc, agreed on Samuel, no thanks, and not with a 10 foot pole.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | February 6, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins do hire Spags, what do you think Danny Boy will cough up as far as money wise!

Posted by: joeboggs | February 6, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

>>> "this tells me Puff is an intellectual lightweight"

Seriously, barno? You REALLY want to go there?

Skinz, I'm going to spend my rebate check on Eggs Florentine sandwiches, freeze them, and then thaw them out during the inevitable 150 degree Seattle summer day.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Steve Spagnuolo would be a bona fide plash. The impressing move would be a hire of Ron Meeks (or Jim Schwartz).

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Starbucks is dropping the sandwiches to have more resources to put into coffee R&D. Rumor has it that they're going to try to figure out how to brew GOOD coffee, instead of the burnt crap that they sell now. ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

the redskins shouldn't spend any more money on a cornerback until springs retires/is released. they've already got money tied up at that position, and in a year or two, we're going to have to re-invest in rogers, and there's no reason to give a 4th guy in that position big money. roger's may not be 100% by the start of next season, but he will get there as the season goes on. we've got more than enough depth there right now to survive a couple weeks waiting for rogers to get up to game speed. if needed, a replacement should be drafted for springs, but not another $30 million FA CB.

Posted by: psps23 | February 6, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 04:48 PM

And if everyone does the same, Starbucks sales will soar. They will decide not to drop the sandwiches. Then, this summer, when the frozen sandwiches are thawed, sales dry up and the company collapses. All because of the rebate checks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 6, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The funniest thing in Seattle (apart from hippie tree huggers and the LaRouche people wandering around) is the preponderance of independent coffee shops, and the people inside who complain about Starbucks brewing burnt coffee. They remind me of chain-smoking French people who sit in cafes complaining about the price of wine and cigarettes.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're going to have a roiling debate over something unrelated to football, let's do this one:

Hungry Hungry Hippos vs. Mr. Mouth

Which c. 1980 kid's game was better, and why?

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

He is Shawn Springs, but much younger.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 04:42 PM

And bigget, the dude is like 6'2". Anyway, Vinny has to sign him, we've (you've) already given him a nickname!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

biggeR!!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey! If we get 60 degree Feb days with 'global warming', I'm all for it!!

Posted by: carocanesfan | February 6, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

If the Raiders CB hits the market, there will be 31 teams bidding on him. Everyone who knows anything in pro scouting knows this kid is really really really really good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 6, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 04:53 PM

Hey, Mr. Big City, we do that in Olympia, too. Just not so much, because people go to Batdorf & Bronson and are too distracted by how good B&B's coffee is to think about how good Starbucks' coffee isn't. :)

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Barno, wars are expensive. Best not to start one unless you have a real good reason.

Posted by: mack1 | February 6, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

psps, Shawn Springs will be released ... and not for injury or performance reasons. [Springs is the best CB on the Skins. Period. And has been since Darrell Green.] Springs will be released based on the number of years remaining on his contract term (in light of his age, which does not justify extending it) over which bonuses can be re-amortized. That's how the Skins live for another day in salary cap land ... restructure to reamortize over the remaining period of the contract. That combo makes for some REALLY hard choices re: Springs.

Asomugha is real young (4 seasons?) and his age and performance justify a long (5-7 year) contract. If they make that deal, that CB position is SOLID for many seasons to come.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

games ca yds avg TDs
16 54 792 14.7 3

It's obvious he could play but our lame coach and QB sucked.

Posted by: redskins0and16

UMMM Patten was hurt just about the whole time he was here. Also I WATCHED with my own eyes...lloyd giving up on routes when not getting the ball and of course what about that play last year when on a deep throw...Lloyd gave up when the ball was a tad over thrown let the DB int it and then didn't even try to tacke the guy and let him go 15 yards back up field....He threw his helmet tne year before on the field...He also called out our QB, Campbell, after the helmet throw...all on natiknal TV...I DON"T WANT TO GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE>>>>>KICK HIM TO THE CURB!!!

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

" ... wars are expensive. ..."

Posted by: mack1 | February 6, 2008 05:01 PM

And in a time of national sacrifice, like a war, there is no greater sacrifice than tax cuts.

[I told myself repeatedly not to write that. BAD dcsween. BAD. BAD. BAD.]

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

John Clayton (ESPN) was born "Johan Clayton."
That's a cool name. Why change it?

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

In a move to ruin my afternoon, profootballtalk has updated their rumor mill:

"Schefter reports that, based on talk in league circles, the following players could be franchised in the next two weeks: Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Panthers tackle Jordan Gross, Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Patriots receiver Randy Moss, and Seahawks cornerback Marcus Trufant."

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's Todd McShay has updated his Mock Draft.

21. Washington Redskins -- Phillip Merling*, DE, Clemson
Record: 9-7 | Needs: WR, DE, S, OT, CB
Previous mock selection: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
Sweed is a possibility here since wide receiver is on the short list of big needs for the Redskins, but Merling is a fast-rising junior prospect who is shooting up the draft boards of many NFL teams. The more we study film of him, the more we like his combination of size (6-4, 275), power and agility, and his ability to get into opposing backfields. Merling has the tools to become an impact starter in the next couple of seasons and would fill an area of need for Washington.

Interestingly, his changed Miami's #1 overall from Glenn Dorsey, to QB Matt Ryan. What do you think about that Redcoat?

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

>>> "Hungry Hungry Hippos vs. Mr. Mouth"

That's easy. Chutes and Ladders. Next question!

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

>>> "this tells me Puff is an intellectual lightweight"

Seriously, barno? You REALLY want to go there?

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 04:48 PM

Puff, you've posted some pretty insulting comments about me lately--many of which were out of the blue, I might add. Not sure why you'd act so surprised that I'd come right back at you.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

A few comments (putting my 0.02 in there on many of the topics up for discussion):

1) Agree that not sure how Spags makes sense with a neophyte OC and an entrenched DC, but hey, what do I know.

2) BLloyd -- what a waste...I do put it on him. Too many dropped balls (remember JC's very first pass???). Not enough effort on field. Only one of several HORRIBLE front office moves that I have to lay at Gibbs' feet - BLloyd, Archedelux, Duckett (and even giving up a draft pick and giving the huge contract to a washed up brunnell who was about to get CUT or being on the giving end of the 2nd rd pick in the Bailey/Portis trade).

3) The planet does indeed seem to be warmer than 50 years ago, but the last 5+ years, things seem to have plateaued a bit. I remember in high school the mags/pols/scientists saying that we were headed for an ice age. Don't know what to believe other than earth's climate has changed MANY times in its recent history without human influence, alarmists are usually wrong, the sun's output and other things like cosmic radiation probably vary significantly and account for much of that previously seen change, and that we ought to be doing reasonable things to decrease our footprint on the planet (which I think we have and are continuing to do).

4) I wish that the only reason the budget outlays in DC by the feds have increased was the war. Unfortunately, govt has grown too, as have other programs.

Cheers!

Posted by: carocanesfan | February 6, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

C'mon sing it with me, "Barno sux, Barno Sux"

Posted by: m2tayls | February 6, 2008 03:26 PM

barnos have feelings too, you know.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought you could care less Barno

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

carocanesfan, you skipped the one about the plastic games in the post-board game era.

For me, if you have to play a game that involves a marble, then its marbles ... or maybe Mouse Trap.

But seriously, skip the marbles and gimme Rock'em Sock'Em robots and a Spirograph any day. [I also yearn for my Girder-and-Panel building set.]

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what's been going on with me in the past week. I think my mind has been blowed up? blewed up? I've had a tonne of spelling mistakes, blown up!, and many times where I couldn't think of the.....you know.....those things you say and write.

I've been watching way too much Emmitt.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, you're a teacher. Is it "could care less" or "could not care less"?

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Sween!

How could I forget! My most favoritist game in the whole world is Pretty Pretty Princess!
LOL

Posted by: carocanesfan | February 6, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

didn't we debate about that a few months ago? I don't care... there!

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

C'mon sing it with me, "Barno sux, Barno Sux"

Posted by: m2tayls | February 6, 2008 03:26 PM

barnos have feelings too, you know.

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 05:13 PM

Agreed and sympathy from me. Sooo many problems with the mytayls post, not the least of which is the plain meanness. [Other minor offenses include repeated use of "x" for "cks" and capitalizing the "b" in "barno" ... but mostly, there was no attempt at humor, which is not good.]

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I have very fond memories of Mouse Trap. I came home from the hospital with my first ever broken nose and my mom had bought me that game. I spent most of the time trying to look through my bandages trying to put it together. Once I did, it gave me a grand total of 4 minutes of fun before I went back to Chutes and Ladders.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 6, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Dorf, we did have a debate ... and it was strident ... I just don't remember the outcome ... I figured that, as a teacher, you might be one of the guys paying attention. Is it my ignorance? My apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I come here on the off chance I might learn something. Today was my big pay off. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Pretty_Princess Now I know ... BEWARE OF THE BLACK RING!

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I think all parties involved agreed to disagree... that or all parties involved that got their feelings hurt discontinued BTGO.

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear the Danny boy yesterday after the presser yesterday....

I seriously thought he was going to say that he and the boy wonder had been working their guts out trying to get us a new coach...Maybe Gibbs did rub off on him!

Posted by: carocanesfan | February 6, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Lite-Brite, makin' things with light. Outtasite, makin' things with Lite-Brite.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

'Doctor' with that girl Christine a few houses down the street.

Posted by: 4-12 | February 6, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Crossfire...

Posted by: Dorf | February 6, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember Run Yourself Ragged? You had to guide a marble through an obstacle course. Pretty neat game. I was an only child and grew mostly in the middle of nowhere, so one-person games like that one definitely had an appeal.

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Correction: Metal ball, not a marble.

Posted by: freakzilla | February 6, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

My mom just used to break a glass thermometer. We'd be busy playing with the mercury for hours on end. Great times!

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 6, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

capture the flag was freakin sweet.

Posted by: jeffhayes | February 6, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I was never really into games like that, mostly just sports in the yard. Football, cricket, swimming, wrestling (Mum's makeup kit took a fair whack when I was Smash from Demolition). When it was raining, I'd gather up a bunch of GI Joe, Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, Bravestarr and M.A.S.K. figurines and play this footy game I created using dice. I'd keep all the stats for each figurine, and if they were underachieving I'd bench them. I used to have this little book with all their positions and stats, how many disposals they averaged per game. Man I loved me some stats.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I did love Stratego too.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"You sunk my battleship!"

"I'm the sole survivor!"

I'm kind of looking forward to the day when my girls are old enough to play table games. So far, its just puzzles.

Odds we get a head coach announcement tonight? Nope? Didn't think so.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

It's could not care less. If you could care less, why mention it?

Posted by: mack1 | February 6, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"The rumors are always true"

---THE PLAYER

"The mocks are always false."

--THE CORK

Posted by: corkczar | February 6, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm way late on this (stupid job) but did anyone catch Dan Snyder's interview with Bram Stoker where he said that he spoke with Russ Grimm after the HOF ceremony? I know everyone here has probably discussed this but I missed out (stupid job) and found it interesting. Maybe he'll pull a last second switcheroo on us and hire Russ. (stupid job)

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 6, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

speaking of good/bad commentators...what about mike patrick...has anyone see him call a basketball game lately...let alone the last couple years on sunday night football...

dont get me wrong...i love the guy cause hes old school acc...the voice of the acc if you will...but the last few years this guy doesnt have a clue anymore...

its like he is making stuff up and not watching the game...or rather his eyes are bad so when he sees the ball go out of bounds he presumes it was knocked out by an opposing player when the tv showed clearly that the guy dribbled it off his own foot...half the time he corrects himself about 10 seconds later and the other half...no clue!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

gawd i dont even know who i want as coach anymore...i was thinking mooch all the way...still kinda makes the most sense to me...was against spags b/c it was an emotional SB hangover feel good pick of the moment...but now im warming up to the idea...same thing with fossil...starting to warm up more and more to the idea of him...not sure about meeks...just dont know enough or have a feel on him at all...

or maybe im just tired of waiting and am prepared to try to be optimistic with whomever...i just dont care anymore...pick someone lets move on already...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

deadskin,

Mike Patrick was one of the best. Patrick, Theisman and McGuire on SNF was gold. You're right, thoug, he's become pretty senile in these past few years. Kind of sad because that means I'm getting old, too.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 6, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Odds we get a head coach announcement tonight? Nope? Didn't think so.

Posted by: dcsween | February 6, 2008 06:11 PM

What I'd like to hear at this point is not an announcement but some thing from Jasno like "Spag's agent is flying in to meet with Spag and Snyder."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 6, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Or I'd settle for "Mrs. Spags is driving in with some fresh creme de menthe brownies and two gallons of milk."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 6, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

i know you all hate snyder and are going to cry foul at any decision he makes for the HC at this point...and dont get me wrong...im not a huge danny fan...somewhat impartial these days...

i just think he has learned alot over the years and its a good thing he is taking his time and seems to be trying to make an intelligent, well researched and informed decision...whether its right or not is a different story...in the past this would have been an immidiate decision focused on splash...

i think he is trying to make the best decision for what he wants for this team...

veryone is all pissy caues it wasnt GG and any choice after that doesnt have a chance...i would have preferred that too but do we really know that that was the best choice?

there was obviously a reason why it wasnt GG and we will probably never know what it was...did he piss danny off, did they not see eye to eye on something? who knows...

were all skins fans for life so we all better start warming up to those still in the hunt...be a glass is half full kinda fan...but be cautiously optimistic all the way...

"lower expectations"!!!

i guess i get off easy cause i watch games on DirecTv and dont have to pay out the @$$ to danny boy...so i guess if i did maybe my opinion would be different...or maybe im just too emotionally drained from the past 15 years to fight the power...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

***Fantasy EPL Post****

The Socceroos played their first World Cup qualifier last night, so if you have any Aussies in your team, be wary, they may not suit up this weekend. Same goes for any players who hail from the Asia Zone.

***End Fantasy EPL Post****

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

oh i totally agree mike patrick WAS one of the best...and his voice takes me back to the joyess times of my childhood...like him on sundays too with joe...didnt care to much for mcguire...found him annoying and not very intelligent...

but he is just fading in his interpretations...i kinda think he is just like kieth jackson...the voice of college football...that (wedding) commercial he did for i think was bud light was classic...but in his last years he just called the game different from what was happening...like "he picks up the first down" when clearly the ref is running in marking the ball 2 yards short...uh hello!!! pay attention to the little details and quit making assumptions based on your deteriorating vision...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 06:38 PM

If you are getting The NFL Ticket you are paying money to Danny boy....He gets a piece of that pie my friend...all the teams do...

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

its been interesting watching all the infighting agaisnt barno...

cant say i like the way he bashes jlc etc. nor the way you are all blasting back and forth. cant say i agree with him most of the time either...

but we were all family at Suite 410 out here in seattle where we shared nothing but luv in the form cocktails, high fives, glorification of the skins and multiple renditions of HTTR...

if you suddenly bumped into barno and were surrounded by a bunch of rabid eagles fans...i think ud put your differneces aside and realize were all brothers!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Suns just traded Marion for Shaq!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I have a question...In light of the news that Mora signed and is going to be the next HC after Holgrem aka (Snausages) retires...How can they do that without interviewing a minority candidate? I thought that was a rule...

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

i think im intoxicated/delerious from all the blog reading the last month...

its like im wasted or something...

i love u all man...even barno!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I just heard on the NFL Network & also ESPN...that Spags and the Skins are in "Serious" Negotiations...I suppose it apears that we have a new coach by morning...Hell the last time we heard a report like that...Gibbs was annouced within 2 hours

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 06:38 PM

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 06:51 PM

i know it trickles through...but all i see this big bill from DTV...so i blame that corp monster!!! i cant wait until their agreement runs out...the nfl better not continue their exclusivity...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't find anything else on the net but I saw this on TV

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 06:56 PM

just heard...that was hours ago my man!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I have a friend who works for Dtv and the expense and having to pay an extra 100 bucks superfan so you can watch the games in HD is all the NFL. They are the ones who are dictating the price more so than D tv

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

leevi98 - I'm pretty sure that there is one loophole in the Rooney Rule, and that is that a team doesn't have to interview anyone if an assistant has it written into their contract that they will automatically be the successor once the current Head Coach retires.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

You cant pre -arrange with a AC to get the HC job contractually, so they could do a minority interview and still give him the job.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 06:56 PM

just heard...that was hours ago my man!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 06:59 PM

ooops sorry...copied in the wrong post to comment on...please disregard...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

No it was not hours ago...They said he was there interviewing...the NEW report is they are actually in "Serious" Negotiations...Thats a whole different ball game from interviewing...

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Suns just traded Marion for Shaq!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 06:54 PM

just heard...that was hours ago my man!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 07:01 PM

yeah sorry man...was trying to respond to someone elses post and accidentally copied/pasted yours...my bad...

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

It's all good...but it seems and appears Spag will be annouced soon...Put your seatbelt on going to a be a long night I suppose....Although I heard that on the two netwroks breifly but I see no other news about it.

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Suns just traded Marion for Shaq!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 06:54 PM

just heard...that was hours ago my man!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 07:02 PM

Haha, been paying too much attention to NFL news, and must've scanned over it!

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Cant legally tell a AC that he gets the HC job. I mean you can tell em but cant put it on paper.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry did not think my old post went through

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Alex35332, you sure? I thought it could be written into their contract, the same thing has been done for Caldwell in Indy.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I remember some writer from the skins saying that when we first hired Williams.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

i remember we were not allowed to give williams that deal.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Okay this blog is broken or something.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | February 6, 2008 06:56 PM

Posted by: alex35332 | February 6, 2008 07:10 PM
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

The issue is discussed in the blog linked below. As long as it is written into the contract, not just orally promised, then the Rooney Rule is not implicated. Therefore, Mora will be the next Seahawks headcoach without a minority interview because it's a contractual agreement, not just an understanding.

Posted by: eeyeats | February 6, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

The NFL says that a team can write a succession plan into an assistant coach's contract, either at the time the contract is written or as a later addition. This was the one exception they allowed to the Rooney Rule. The NFL intends to enforce this exception with the contracts of Caldwell and Mora.

Posted by: tafka | February 6, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

The updated blog preference list for new Head Coach is as follows:

1) Spagnuolo
2) Mariucci
3) Meeks
4) Cardboard cutouts of dead coaches
5) Cardboard cutout of Spuds McKenzie
6) Col. Henry Blake (from the movie)
7) "Toe" Blake
8) Eubie Blake
9) WSOP Champion Fossilman
10) Denny Green
11) Gibbs 3.0
12) Anyone else but Fassel
13) Fassel

Posted by: tafka | February 6, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

From the other paper's site:

Another long interview [UPDATED again]

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is still interviewing for the Redskins vacant head coaching job at owner Dan Snyder's house in Potomac, a league source confirmed.

The source said the group met for 8 or 9 hours Tuesday night and started talking again this morning around 8 a.m.

One of Gregg Williams' interviews last month lasted nearly 12 hours.

Today marks the four-week mark of the search, which has included interviews with seven candidates. Some research about coordinators who get their first head coaching job -- they generally sign a four- or five-year contract worth $2 to $2.5 million per season.

I'll have more details when/if they become available although it appears my hope for a Thursday press conference is disappearing with every passing hour.

- Ryan O'Halloran

UPDATED 6:08 p.m.

A source just chimed into David Elfin and said Spagnuolo, Snyder and Cerrato are still meeting as of 5:30 p.m.

UPDATE: 7:17 p.m.

ESPN is reporting that the interview has shifted from Snyder's house to Redskin Park. I take that as a sign that the interview is going well -- well enough that Spagnuolo wanted to check out the digs before going back to New Jersey.

Posted by: JustMe | February 6, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

My sources tell me that Grimm may be in the running.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 6, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"Those players released after June 1, 2008 will net us cap savings in 2008 that we couldn't use on acquiring players at that time of the offseason but will leave us with a carried forward dead cap problem in 2009."

Zebra,

Tell your friend to do a little more research on cap issues. Every team can release up to two players anytime before June 1st and designate those players as "post-June 1st exceptions". This exception allows the teams to have additional available salary cap for FA signing purposes in the March-May period, while still allowing the affected players' dead cap money to be spread over two years.

Posted by: tafka | February 6, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The newly-revised and updated blog preference list for new Head Coach is as follows:

1) Spagnuolo
2) Grimm
3) Mariucci
4) Meeks
5) Cardboard cutouts of dead coaches
6) Cardboard cutout of Spuds McKenzie
7) Col. Henry Blake (from the movie)
8) "Toe" Blake
9) Eubie Blake
10) WSOP Champion Fossilman
11) Denny Green
12) Gibbs 3.0
13) Anyone else but Fassel
14) Fassel

Posted by: tafka | February 6, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

my sources tell me Gibbs was thinking about coming back to the Redskins as HC. My sources tell me Vinny nixed the idea.

Posted by: wrinkled | February 6, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JustMe | February 6, 2008 07:42 PM

I take that as a sign that the interview is over and they are on the way to the airport.

Posted by: tafka | February 6, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I have an 8 PM dinner reservations at the Tyson's Corner Morton's. Rumor and innuendo have me in the running

Adam

Posted by: argh | February 6, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN.......

(absolutely nothing)

Adam

Posted by: argh | February 6, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

You are right...I'm probably being a bit harsh on Gibbs and his sudden NASCAR over-exposure, but it just doesn't seem like a great PR move for him to be so "out there" on the NASCAR front so soon after exiting stage left here.

I know his family is critical to him (of course I get that...I am MOMMY skins fan, after all!! My kids and husband are my focus, too) But I would think he'd have eased into the whole NASCAR thing slowly. I mean, technically, he's still on our payroll "consulting" on the new hire.

To me, it's purely a perception thing. But then again, he's in the enviable position of not really having to worry about how he is perceived anymore by Redskins nation or anyone else, for that matter.

I guess I'm still a little bitter at his sudden departure. Sigh.

Posted by: mommyskinsfan | February 6, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | February 6, 2008 06:54 PM

Thank you for your kind words, Mr. Deadskin. They were eloquently put. May I just add--like I've said many times before, none of my criticisms of your beloved beat reporter are personal. They are merely my 2 cents, and my 2 cents only. Feel free to vehemently disagree with me if you so choose. It is, afterall, every man's prerogative.

Anyhow, I'd like to share my comments that I posted on this blog from that fateful trip. It was, sadly, Joe Gibbs' last game:

"Just got back to the hotel, and had to come on here and say 2 things:

1) I have never been prouder of any team in all my years rooting for the Skins, Terps, and Wiz/Bullets

2) Seattle Seahawks fans are without a doubt the most classless fans I have ever come across. Cannot count how many times they shouted things like "Sean Taylor is a f****t" and worse. I got kicked out of the Fx McRory's bar across from the stadium before the game for standing up to one of these punks. Most. Classless. Fans. Ever.

Hail.

Posted by: Barno | January 5, 2008 08:08 PM

Posted by: barno | February 6, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

why is it that fashole and spagjersey are considered because they have expiernce in the nfc east?dosent the nfc east have expiernce with them also?I think the nygiants lost to the skins@cowboys this year right?but give either one of them 30 mill,and they will be a true redskin in the dannys eyes,he just has to sell it to us sheep
boycott

Posted by: DLESMonday | February 6, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

boycott

Posted by: DLESMonday | February 6, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not disappointed in getting Spags. If it wasn't going to be Williams, and a big splash candidate such as Cowher couldn't be talked into the job. Then hiring a first time coach makes sense to me.

Spags might be the flavour of the month, but he is so for a reason I guess. In the playoffs his defense 'debacled' the top three offenses in the league, on their respective home fields and kept arguably the greatest offense ever, to 14 points. He comes from a winning background, IN the NFC East. I know there has been a lot of talk about having a pre-hired staff, and about having an OC who is in his first year in the position. But how much influence does a HC have on the specifics of their team's Off. and Def.? I think a HC is more about a team identity, and overall gameplan, and the co-ordinators run their scheme in a way which fits in with the HC's ideas.

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: kost52 | February 6, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

kost 52,the dan and vinny couldnt have said it any better

Posted by: DLESMonday | February 6, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Spags w/ Blache's experiences. Everyone is sleeping on Zorn. This guy is going to be what the "Doc" (JC) ordered. Snyder is a PR guy. Presser will be tomorrow. He wants the weekend press.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | February 6, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse