Early signs on Bidwell's hip are not encouraging

The Redskins won't know until Monday morning the extent of Josh Bidwell's injury, but the early signs don't appear to be good.

Bidwell felt pain in his right hip during pre-game warmups on Sunday -- the same hip that kept him out for the entire 2009 season. Bidwell did not want to speculate on the severity of the injury Sunday evening.

"I'll know a lot more [Monday]," he said. "I just hate to speculate on anything good or bad."

Bidwell suffered a torn labrum in August 2009 and had arthroscopic surgery that put him on the injured reserve list. He was released by Tampa Bay in March and signed by the Redskins as a free agent less than three weeks later.

Following Sunday's 30-16 loss to the Rams, Bidwell said he felt a "twinge" on his final punt earlier that afternoon. He had to be helped off the field, though he still appeared in the game, holding field goals and extra points for Graham Gano. He acknowledged he was in a lot of pain.

"It's always the last punt," Bidwell said. "I went through a great warmup and then just kind of felt something. You want to be very, very careful with something like that."

Gano handled punting duties in Bidwell's place. The second-year kicker had a 35.3-yard average on four punts. He placed one inside the 20-yard line and had one blocked.

By Rick Maese  | September 26, 2010; 8:53 PM ET
Categories:  Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins lose 30-16
Next: Redskins line is shuffled before the game

Comments

Bidwell's down? There goes the season.

Posted by: farstriker | September 26, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 26, 2010 8:43 PM

I've been critical of the Jason Taylor trade, CP being the highest OVERALL paid RB of all-time, the Haynesworth signing, the Dhall contract, the McNabb trade and the switch to the 3-4.

I've also been very critical of the 2008 draft (the evening of the draft), the 2009 draft outside of the obvious pick of Orakpo, and this year's draft outside of TW.

I however remain hopeful that I'm wrong but dammed if I'm not usually right.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Just cut the guy, release him and get another punter. Dime a dozen they are. Jeez.

LarryInClintonMd.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Where's Hunter? Does he play LG? Does he know the 3-4?

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Bidwell is done.
It's a recurring injury, replace him.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 26, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Rob Schneider "Oh no, we suck again!"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Bid farwell to Bidwell, he's not that good anyway.He practically gave dallas the win week one. muff on the hold and then that crappy punt that set them up for 7 . I would have cut him week 1. Hope he's done.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 26, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding takes time, folks. This ain't gonna be pretty for the next 2 years, but it will be worth it when we return to glory around 2013.
For now, though, we will have to live with the frustrating feeling that we're watching the "same old Redskins"
But it's NOT the same old 'skins. The leaders in place of our team will actually LEARN from mistakes and improve. Step by step, game by game, season by season, we will get better. It just isn't going to be this year and it probably won't be next year either. But it's comming, and when it finally gets here, the pain we've gone through since 1992 will make the spoils of victory that much sweeter.
Hang in there, Redskins fans. We're all in this together.

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 26, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Please bring back Hunter Smith. And get a new long snapper. I'm tired of having one bad special teams play a week. Two blocked kicks and one bad snap is simply unacceptable.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | September 26, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

balls

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 26, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

In the off season I said the D would take a big step back this year with the switch to the 3-4 because the team did not have the personnel on the roster to run it. That it was bad for the D's best player. Just about everyone sided with mgmt. See what arrogance has wrought?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

jgarrisn: It's the same every year though.. an early false hope alarm and then they are back to what we all thought they were.

Clearly Shanny was not thinking "rebuild" when he got McNabb. Our "leaders" are getting old and won't be here much longer. I see nothing to look forward to.. at all. I have no clue where this team is heading. I feel like they don't have a plan and that makes me very nervous.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 26, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"Uh, we're not done yet..."

Posted by: jj250 | September 26, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

jgarr,

I'm pretty sanguine - never expected too much out of this season.

But the coach and higher management (and starting QB) have been pretty explicit that they don't view this as a rebuilding year.

I see mixed evidence of the Skins philosophy, some rebuilding, some win-now-ism.

Too much of the latter, particularly if the FO actually buys their own BS, is not going to result in improvement, rather more of the same Skins-of-the-last-20-yrs.

I'm not sure their public words should lead us to give them the benefit of the doubt that you are asking for. But as I wrote, I'm pretty chill about it all: I look forward to seeing what happens.

Now, if it's all PR and they really do believe they are rebuilding, so be it.

(And half-and-half, a mix of rebuilding and reloading, has a HORRIBLE track record as an organizational philosophy across all professional sports.)

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | September 26, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:20 PM

Fletcher, Orakpo, & Landry have been pretty good. You must be talking about Carter...

I hate the 3-4 for this personel but a 4-3 isn't going to make our O convert on 3rd down or in the redzone or make a secondary cover someone.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I didn't have a good feeling when I saw that Bidwell was hurt. Punting is crucial in football. I had a bad feeling when we opened the game to kick out of bounds.

I had an even worse feeling when Moss fumbled, and SJackson ran through our defense like he was playing with some little kids in the backyard.

The RAMS, can you beleive it?

This team will break your heart.

This team will break your heart.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 26, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Me and Derrick Frost are still wondering why he and Suisham got cut??

as if, a kicker would make a difference on this lousy team.

this team sat their starters for the 4th pre season game, what up wit dat?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha. Good one Deez. Big deal? A player here or there has been good (and LFB has not been anything special). The D as a whole has been garbage two weeks in a row and thank goodness the girls didn't run the ball or the Skins are looking at 0-3.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

what was sooo wrong with

carter-haynesworth-golston-orakpo/daniels

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Alot of us talked about the coaching upgrade on this team, and how that would automatically net us a couple more wins this season.

So far, I'm not seeing it. The coaching plum sucks.

All that's happening is they are riding McNabb's arm/playmaking ability; but anyone could do that; that's not coaching.

The Oline is a disaster in the run; the RB shuffling is a disaster; the defense looks inept.

Sure, our "talented" guys are making plays here and there, but that's not really coaching...that's what talented guys do. Our units aren;t working as units; and
today, I thought Spags flat out-coached our guys and out out "play-called" our guys.

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

This team will break your heart.

Posted by: 72Redskins

This team will cause us all to die early.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 26, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Here are the biggest short term problems:

* Poor personel fit for 3-4 defense
* Ineffective WRs beyond Moss
* Rotationg O-line hampers running game consistency
* Buchanon is useless on punt returns

Fortunately for the Skins, solutions to all these problems are available to be fixed this season. It's still not too late to salvage 9-7 but the coaches have to stop being so stubborn and put the top playmakers on the field at ALL times.

This means maybe going back to the 4-3 for a while.

This means getting Devin Thomas snaps at WR, especially in the red zone.

This means letting Dockery and Silverback develop chemistry instead of subbing Dock out every other possession.

As for Buchanon, he's starting to piss me off. I think Barnes might be better served to man nickel right now. I know keeping Brandon Banks would have been tough considering he didn't play on coverage teams but he could have had a Dante Hall type impact if we gave him a shot. Now we'll never know...

Posted by: elfreako | September 26, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

So who are we taking with the 1st overall pick b1tches?

Would you like me to break down each prospect at all of our need positions?

Remember we have a 1st, 5th, 5th, 6th, & 7th.

I said before that we wouldn't know any more about this team if we beat the Rams but we would know plenty if they lost.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

could this be the begining of the end , or just more of the same. I have to think we have some real needs, but special teams is bad , as bad as last ye we have no punt returner-has anyone seen buchann return a punt for real? looks more like ARE to me , just someone to catch the ball and guess what he fumbled today. We had a speedy return guy in Banks but we just cut him, never let him play. don't figure, I am tired of the team not willing to take chances on exciting ! entertaining ! PLAYER's. Free Me From This Hell !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 26, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:37 PM
Never thought I would agree with you on anything but you've hit the nail on the head. That's why I said "New boss. Same as the old boss" during the game. I'm not seeing good coaching. On a critical 3rd down, why is K Williams in the game? You have to have your best players on the field. Doesn't make sense. Why did LJ make the team? How does Torain go from being cut to being the featured guy in game 3 (and it's been reported that was the game plan)? WTF? Pride goeth before the fall.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Wheels off. Larry Johnson was the first cut of the category of "if we're losing anyway, why are we playing vets beyond their prime?" Week three takeaways:

1) Andre Carter cannot play LB

2) Portis doesn't have the speed or cutting ability or balance to thrive in this offense any more

3) We simply do not have a serviceable NT on the roster

3)a) London Fletcher hasn't seemed to have found his way in this defense and that is made a lot tougher by bad NT play in front of him

4) Our Oline is is a long way off -- our C, LG, and backup LT situation is weak and our RG, RT situation is only average

5) How bad must Devin Thomas be to not be playing over Galloway and Roydell Williams?

6) Who's going to tell Deangelo Hall to STFU and try to cover the lame wr's on his side rather than focusing on the lame receivers making catches on Carlos Rogers?

7) The Skins front office may need to refocus on signing McNabb to an extension soon or see him sign in the offseason with Minnesota having given two high draft picks up for him.

Posted by: thinker11 | September 26, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

......I thought Spags flat out-coached our guys and out out "play-called" our guys.

Posted by: p1funk

yup

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

And P1 what do you have to say for you boy Hall? I heard they called child protective services after the game because the got abused.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:37 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention the decision to open up a competition for LG at the cusp of the regular season.

WTH is up with that? Haven't Dock and Lich been at OTAs all summer? Haven't they been evaluated for months? How do you start the season and then suddenly decide to start rotating your starting guard?

Dude, you agree with me all the time...you just don't like DHall. That's basically it.

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Man, giving up 30 points to the lowly Rams?!?!?!

The Redskins suck worse than DC United.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 26, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

lh1-

p1 continently leaves that out of his really good post while you continue to heart the most overpaid and overhyped player of all-time.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

"It's always the last punt," Bidwell said

What an astute observation. Reminds of the line that if you lose something "it's always in the last place you look."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 26, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

o line

trent, broncos outcast/bills outcast, rabach, vikings outcast/league outcast-new orleans outcast/undrafted nobody

not upgraded overall

rbs

Portis, undrafted rook, broncos outcast

not upgraded

wrs

moss, dinosaur, outcast, nobody

not upgraded

qb - doesn't matter........still

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Not a good day, and he makes it worse for himself with all his yapping this past week.

Really the big bad play he coughed up was the 30-yard catch-n-run to Clayton when he slipped.

I don't blame him for the TD toss. Bradford made a great play by tucking it and making like he was going for the pylon. Hall did what he had to do b/c the LB was not out there fast enough to cut off the angle. If Bradford runs that in and Hall stays on his man, then you;d be up here killing him for pu$$ing out on tackling the QB, so its lose-lose.

Anyways, it's like Drop-22 had guys in a straight-jacket tonight...

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, let's be clear. I don't heart AH. I just recognize that he's the best dlineman on this roster. That's it. I want the best player playing and put in a position to play well. That's what good coaches do. If you can't be with the one you love honey love the one your with.

You don't like the 3-4 for this personnel but you agree with the coaching staff marginalizing the best 4-3 DT on the team. That doesn't make sense to me.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyways, it's like Drop-22 had guys in a straight-jacket tonight...

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I mean:

Anyways, it's NOT like Drop-22 had guys in a straight jacket tonight...

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM |

outcast, nobody, needs upgraded (a piece of dogsh!t would be an upgrade)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

OutKast hasn't been the same since Aquemini.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 26, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM

Did you see Carter standing there like an idiot on that play? Just standing there watching Bradford. Not moving forward for the tackle, not dropping back to cover, just standing there watching. Pathetic

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't fault him for the first TD. He was in a tough spot. Great play by Bradford. I'm not just focusing on big plays or scoring plays. His coverage overall was bad. The dude Gibson had his feet crossed up on a play. He can't cover. His footwork is itty. Los isn't yapping about covering someone either.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 26, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

If the cowgirls hadn't been so generous the Redskins would be 0-3 right now. It's going to be a long season (or short depending on how you look at it). Rachel, don't worry, there's always the Caps (at least they'll probably make the playoffs).

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | September 26, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Just got off the phone with Maynard James Keenan and he said the Redskins are "in desperate need of a real good stinkfisting."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 26, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I remember seeing some lame-arsed LB not doing his job. I didn't know that it was Carter, but it's not surprising.

We can pretty much count on Carter failing to make any kind of play that requires movement in the open field.

But again...is that on the player? Or on the coaching? Kind of like asking Reed Doughty to make plays in coverage, I guess.

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

FloridaCapsFan | September 26, 2010 10:05 PM

-----------------------

Oh man, I can't wait until I'm watching a successful Washington team.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 26, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 10:06 PM |

Look, it may be bad coaching but I don't think it's too much to ask him to do SOMETHING. Even if you don't make a play at least you attempted it. Standing there with your thumb up your ass guarantees that you won't make a play.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame him for the TD toss. Bradford made a great play by tucking it and making like he was going for the pylon. Hall did what he had to do b/c the LB was not out there fast enough to cut off the angle. If Bradford runs that in and Hall stays on his man, then you'd be up here killing him for pu$$ing out on tackling the QB, so its lose-lose.

Posted by: p1funk | September 26, 2010 9:57 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:03 PM

Although 94 had the angle and Bradford wouldn't have made it. It's not so much that play...it was his play last week and then his play for the rest of the game as to why he's an overrated and overpaid CB. NOBODY in our secondary can cover their shadow.

Carter was benched for Alexander. They should trade Carter and Haynie for whatever they can get. Probably two 4ths.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

They gave up two quick TDs to begin the game and that's bad, but they did come back to take the lead 16-14. They gave up 16 unanswered points to end the game and that's badder.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | September 26, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Beeps freaks..

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I always liked Santana Moss. But I have a new appreciation for him based on three games this season. Opposing defenses know that he's our only viable wide receiver (and he is) and yet he can still put up 100 yard games.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 26, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 26, 2010 10:11 PM

Too bad Carter has that damn no trade clause.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Here are the biggest short term problems:

* Poor personel fit for 3-4 defense
* Ineffective WRs beyond Moss
* Rotationg O-line hampers running game consistency
* Buchanon is useless on punt returns

El Freako - couldnt agree with you more - all of your bullets are spot on - McNabb has no one to throw the ball to - WHY HAVE JOEY GALLOWAY ON THE TEAM? He is finished - at least play Devin Thomas and make him prove one way or another if he should stay or go! I would promote Terrence Austin from the practice squad and cut Galloway - let him return punts

Andre Carter is completely useless in a 3-4 as a linebacker - either put his hand in the dirt or get rid of him - he played great last year as a DE - why mess with success???? I dont care about Hasletts philosophies - MATCH YOUR SCHEME TO THE TALENT YOU HAVE! Carter, Golston, Haynesworth, Orakpo with Daniels as the backup - McIntosh, Fletcher, Alexander at LB DONE

Pick at left guard and stick with it - why rotate? Its more important to get continuity and they should have figured out the starter in training camp

Posted by: dekewf | September 27, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse