Josh Bidwell's hip pain sends him to the injured list

Punter Josh Bidwell's lingering hip pain prompted Washington to assign him to the season-ending injured-reserve list and sign former Redskins punter Hunter Smith, Coach Mike Shanahan said after practice Thursday at Redskins Park.

"He was just hurting," Shanahan said. "He tried to come back with that hip injury and it was just a little bit too painful. Obviously, he wasn't effective. We had to do the best thing for us, and the best thing for Josh, and that's why he's on IR."

Bidwell labored while punting during the 17-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 4 at Lincoln Financial Field. Bidwell had a 37.2-yard average overall and a net average of 33.2 against Philadelphia, but "he was hurting. You could tell by his facial expressions that something was wrong," Shanahan said. "And by his production, the way he punted, you could definitely tell something was wrong. So a combination of both."

Smith was among three punters the Redskins worked out after Bidwell, who sat out the 2009 season because of hip problems, suffered his injury during individual warm-ups before the Week 3 loss to the St. Louis Rams. Special teams coordinator Danny Smith knows Hunter Smith well, and Hunter Smith also held for place kicker Graham Gano last season.

"We had three punters in. All of 'em did a good job," Shanahan said. "With Hunter, with his ability to hold, and Danny's feeling toward him, it was a big plus for him."

By Rick Maese  | October 7, 2010; 4:13 PM ET
Categories:  Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams practices again
Next: Only Trent Williams is limited in practice

Comments

The Poop That Took A Pee

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 7, 2010 3:40 PM

Hey Moe, weren’t you up here in the preseason telling us that "Tomlinson is done” too? As of now he’s leading the Jets in rushing and is on pace for 1300 + yds and 12tds……just sayin….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 7, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins go through place kickers and punters at a record pace. Every time you think a guy is there for the long haul something happens. Brett Conway, Tom Tupa, John Hall, Shaun Suisham, Derrick Frost, Hunter Smith...

Posted by: goose33 | October 7, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

portis back - 68%
done-31%

Fits right in the Bell Curve, If your normal and within one standard deviation of normalcy then you vote Portis will be back.

Let's examine the "fringe" on both sides.

On one side the "fringe" people can't add 4 to 6 and subtract that from 17 (with a bye), simple math problem

On the other side people are just blinded by their DISLIKE for Portis, I will refer to them as DISLIKERS because they're sensative

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2010 3:59 PM

For the record, I voted that Portis will be back. In my opinion, if there was any question, Shanny would IR him to open another roster spot. That said, your lack of ability to see the flip side of anything is frankly amazing.

Let's think about the alternatives (I know thinking is not your strong suit, but please, bear with me). Some people may think that Shanny is not giving us the full story about Portis' injury and its severity. This would not be the first time Shanny has played an injury close to the vest.

Some may think that Portis will have a setback while trying to get healthy. I would say that this is a strong possibility as Portis is well used.

Others may believe that Torain and the others we have signed will play well enough that the organization will not feel a need to bring Portis back.

These are just a few options for you to think (there's that word again) about. I would suggest you try thinking next time before you go off all half-cocked when someone dissents. I am just trying to help you out. Although I will say that your tirades are adorable.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 7, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Good news. I am developing a patent for a process that will result in:

1. More health-conscious diets.
2. Cheaper, renewable energy.
3. Reduction in global warming.
4. Cleaner external air.

Here's how it works.

1. Every day peeps sit down to scarf dinners that include lots of bean-based preparations such as beans and rice or bean lasagna.
2. Later on, they enjoy using their electronic gadgets such as big-screen TVs, X-boxes, laptops, etc., to their heart's content.

How does it work? without disclosing any of the sensitive details I can say that it involves exploiting wind power and peeps will be linked via wires to their house's electronic circuit.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

(flashback to when Bidwell was saying to jarred loose scar tissue gave him greater mobility)

Yeah, I seriously doubt he's going to better after the injury than he was before it. But I admire the rationalizing.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 1, 2010 3:03 PM |

Posted by: Alan4 | October 7, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"He had a good 2009 season but since he was the incumbent and we had a chance to sign another punter with a history of hip injuries we did not resign him for 2010."

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Why IR Bidwell? I see no meaningful upside to that over releasing him.

If someone else picks him up, they pick up his $$ and save us a few $$. If he gets healthy and Smith gets hurt, the Bidwell could be re-signed. But put him on IR and pay him -- what does that accomplish?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 7, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Why IR Bidwell? I see no meaningful upside to that over releasing him.

It's another leg in camp for the 2011 offseason in OTA's and mincamps. That's IF there's a 2011 season...

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 7, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

Collins said Bears coach Lovie Smith delivered the news late Thursday morning. But given his exposure to concussions over a 16-year NFL career, Collins said he expected it.

Crissakes. 38 yrs old, frail, conk history, starting QB for the Bears. Be sure EMS is on stand-by status before the game begins.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Jenkins' article on Portis was one of the best she's written in ages. Like him or hate him, he left it on the field every week.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 7, 2010 4:58 PM |

Dude would have left more on the field Sunday if he had attended practice during the week.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I love how people get worried about how we are spending Danny's money like cutting bidwell directly saves us his 800k salary. WHO CARES. I care about winning, not dannys money.

Posted by: zjenks | October 7, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Why IR Bidwell? I see no meaningful upside to that over releasing him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 7, 2010 4:44 PM |

Ain't no one picking up that turkey. If they release him then the Skins have to cover health care costs related to recovery from the hip injury. By not releasing him he can rehab at RP and the Skins save $$$.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I wish Carlos Rodgers had the hands of Randy Moss...Rodgers would be a elite and a game changer

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 7, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 7, 2010 5:13 PM |

Dude, most of us would settle for the hands of Tana Moss.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I voted that no, CP will not be back. I'd like for him to be back, but don't see it happening. So no hating here.

Also, I was saying, "Boo-urns."

Posted by: freakzilla | October 7, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Dude, most of us would settle for the hands of Tana Moss.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

True Dat, but if only he got f'n 60% of those drops..Skins woulda won alotta more games the past few yrs

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 7, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 7, 2010 5:13 PM |

Dude, most of us would settle for the hands of Tana Moss.

Posted by: FartezDudmore | October 7, 2010 5:15 PM
------------------------------------------
Guys, I would just be happy if Carlos Rogers had hands instead of those chunks of cold stone he has been carrying around.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

portis back - 68%
done-31%

Let's examine the "fringe" on both sides.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 7, 2010 3:59 PM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 7, 2010 4:30 PM
-----------------------------------------
I was just going to point out that you can't get a standard deviation from a binomial distribution, but it sounded real good.

Seems like the theme of the day is lying with statistics, or lying with implying statistics. Either way, I hope CP returns.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The party's over. Or, at least it's moved to the new thread.

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 7, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed something. I see no news in the Post about Haynesworth's brother's accident and whether he will be playing against the Packers.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | October 9, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse