Long snapper Nick Sundberg off to an uncertain start

Long snapper Nick Sundberg, who has never appeared in an NFL game, apparently is off to a shaky start in his bid to replace Pro Bowler Ethan Albright.

Sundberg struggled Saturday during field goal drills. In an indication the Redskins might be considering other options, guard-center Will Montgomery practiced long snapping Saturday during special teams drills.

Coach Mike Shanahan expects more from the position. "I was impressed by [place kicker] Graham [Gano]," Shanahan said. "He's done a great job since I've been here. It's always nice to see him. It's not a live situation when you have a full rush, but the timing was there. Really, the only one or two he missed were poor snaps. Hopefully we can just keep getting better in that area."

After last season, Washington did not attempt to re-sign Albright, a 15-year veteran who was with the Redskins the past nine seasons. Albright, 39, hopes to continue his career, and his "bag is packed when a call comes," he wrote in a text message to a reporter recently. "I think I can still help someone win some games. Obviously, I enjoyed playing for [special teams coordinator] Danny Smith and would love to play another season or two for him."

The Redskins begin their four-game preseason schedule Aug. 13 against the Buffalo Bills at FedEx Field. Shanahan, and Smith will not give up on Sundberg after only one rough practice. If the inexperienced long snapper struggles during the preseason, however, perhaps Washington would benefit from reuniting with Albright.

By Jason Reid  |  August 2, 2010; 9:27 AM ET
Categories:  Special teams , training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth tests knee, skips conditioning test
Next: More Brian Baldinger on Donovan McNabb

Comments

Red Snapper!!!

Posted by: merajc86 | August 2, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why they didn't bring him back to begin with...get this Sundberg guy outta here and bring back the Red Snapper!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm in the Bring Back the Red Snappers Camp but I think Mike S. wants a long snapper who can play other special team roles. Opening up another roster position for a skilled player at wideout or other.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

AZ didn't trade for him - Maybe they want to give Leinhart a real shake this year to see where he's at. They invested a high pick in him and he's been sitting around for years. They need to see once-for-all if he can play before going in a new direction.

Vikings - They still seem set to put all of their eggs in the Favre basket for now.

All of this could change in 6months to a year, as could the Redskins situation and McNabb's mindset.

Did you ever imagine in the offseason that we would end up with McNabb as our starting QB this season?? Doubt it.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 8:44 AM

Seems to me AZ isn't commited to Leinart...Whisenhunt didn't draft him and he was quick to pull him for Kurt Warner (will VERY positive results). Even if Leinart falters, I could see him leaning more toward coaching up his own guy anyway.

At any rate, I get what you're saying about letting it play out but it seems to me the Skins would already be big losers if McNabb doesn't pay immediate dividends. They've given up two picks for the guy, so regardless of whatever money they give him, they have to get a return on the investment. I'd rather see them get him under contract for something more reasonable now instead of having to pay thru the nose if he goes to another Pro-Bowl this year.

No need to go back and forth over it because it's probably not going to happen that way...just seems to me the longer we wait, the higher his price goes up.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them give the rookie tight end - Paulsen - a try at long snapping. He's a decent blocker and pretty athletic for a big man. It would be a good way to squirrel another tight end away on the roster. Wha tis it the coaches are always saying? The more you can do...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why we didn't re-sign Albright to begin with?

Did he do something to one of Shanny's children or something?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

And for the record RI, if this is the only analysis you can provide for us it's pretty weak.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

skilled player at wideout...

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 9:40 AM

A bit of a contradiction in Ashburn, no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 9:40 AM

Agree on Shanahan's thinking here.

In Shanahan we trust ! I'm gaining more respect for coach everyday. I still think he has the players attention and the team is focused on football, and not the AH debacle.

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Getting rid of Albright made no sense.

Let's see this passing game come together.

I still want to know who is looking good in the return game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

skilled player at wideout...

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 9:40 AM

A bit of a contradiction in Ashburn, no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Not necessarily.

I hear Malcolm Kelly is a wicked nice partner to have when you are playing Spades.

As far as having skills in other areas of his life...that has yet to be determined.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Versatility would be great, but a long snapper as dependable as Albright earns his keep and justifies a roster spot all his own.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

yeh... not really sure why we did that...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 2, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Wished we kept Hunter Smith as well. Hope Red Snapper comes back!

btw- Cindy Boren's new site "The Early Lead" opened few days ago and can be found in front of the sports page here.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 2, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

this is ridiculous. if sundberg blows a snap in live action while albright sits at home on his couch, shanahan should get raked over the coals for it.

"Straight arrows on a crooked warpath."

Posted by: bcarothers | August 2, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

A bit of a contradiction in Ashburn, no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

There's a lot of contradictions in Ashburn, but Moss has skills.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I still want to know who is looking good in the return game.

Posted by: iH8dallas

How about B Banks at P/KO returns ? Seems he excelled at the college level.

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Would be nice to hear about the other rookies, how is Rabach playing, the other safety battle, how do the LB's look...be interested to see how Rocky and Fletch are taking to the 3-4/ hybrid scheme we are running...has Orakpo owned T. Williams, you know the news of the camp.

Sounds positive on Landry, hope is ready to be a beast. Any news on the Kick returners or Punt returners...

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 2, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Um...if you're a long snapper and the media is covering you, its usually not a good sign...

Posted by: akminstral | August 2, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 2, 2010 9:56 AM

Completely agree. He has been damn near perfect for us.

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 2, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 2, 2010 9:56 AM
------------------------------------------
I kind of agree, but I think it's a heck of a sacrifice for a coach to make when he has to dedicate a position on the team to a player that will only play a few snaps every game. Having someone versatile enough to do long snaps and also play a position like center or tight end, saves a roster spot. I know Shanahan realizes the importance of teams. I remember he carried two kickers on the Broncos roster at one time just so he could get kickoffs into the end zone and consistent field goals. He will get this worked out, but it does seem strange that he put so much on an unproven player like Sundberg. And remember, Danny Smith - last year's special teams coach - is still the teams coach, so I assume he was involved in the decision not to re-sign Albright.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Letting Ethan go was a head scratcher since we replaced him with another long snapper who doesn't do $h-t else. Maybe if we had a backup guard or center like Cook at long-snapper you could justify it.

But dumping a pro bowl LS for Just A Guy isn't one of the moves I'm proud of.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

SOMEONE PLEASE ASK SHANAHAN WHY HE FELT A NEED TO CHANGE THE LONG SNAPPER POSITION.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Here's to the weekday crew. Checking out this blog on the weekends has become unbearable.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

How about B Banks at P/KO returns ? Seems he excelled at the college level.

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Fine with me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's because Sundberg has a higher Madden rating?

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Never understood why we did not resign the Red Snapper.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Never understood why we did not resign the Red Snapper.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 2, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the Red Snapper! Cutting him was a mistake. Sundberg has already made more errors in a week of training camp than Albright made in his entire Redskins career.

Posted by: drischord | August 2, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but I have to admit I miss Ja La. At least he took the time during camp to watch a few key players and provide his take on how their progression was taking place.

All we've gotten is Big Al updates which we can find anywhere. And now a bit on how the long snapper had a few bad snaps in practice.

Ugh...It's a sad day when you have to go to Redskins.com for real updates.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 2, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

How about B Banks at P/KO returns ? Seems he excelled at the college level.

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse
________

My money's on Terrence Austin. He wasn't the most productive guy in the world as a WR at UCLA, but he's quick and elusive and I think he'd do well as a kick returner.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 2, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Gotta like what we're hearing about Austin. This from redskins.com on this morning's practice:

-- 9:15 a.m. ET

Austin Emerging

One of the real standouts of training camp has been seventh-round draft pick Terrence Austin.

First big play of Monday’s practice, Austin pulled in a deep pass from Donovan McNabb. He beat double coverage downfield and caught the ball in stride.

Touchdown.

Austin missed most of off-season work because UCLA classes ended late. Turns out he didn’t need any off-season work.

Austin chats with Redskins.com intern Lindsey Gay after practice. Check out “Training Camp With Terrence Austin” on Redskins.com.

-- 9:45 a.m. ET

11-on-11 Action

The rain has subsided and practice continues. Here’s action from 11-on-11.

* Rob Jackson with strong push past Clint Oldenburg, he would have had sack on Colt Brennan. After the play, Oldenburg got instruction from offensive line coach Chris Foerster.
* Kevin Barnes had solid coverage on Terrence Austin, and Rex Grossman could only throw the ball away.
* Rex Grossman completed a perfect pass to Roydell Williams down the left sideline. Williams was in 1-on-1 coverage.
* Terrence Austin again, he caught a pass from Colt Brennan across the middle.
* Terrence Austin again. This time he grabbed a pass from Donovan McNabb, who opened with play action.
* On a quick pitch to Willie Parker, Carlos Rogers penetrated into the backfield to disrupt the play. LaRon Landry finished it off with a stop.
* Rex Grossman pump faked, and then completed 15-yard pass to Santana Moss downfield. Moss was wide open but had to twist his body to make the catch.
* Ryan Torain caught a short pass across the middle, absorbed a hit from Chris Draft. Torain, who is listed at 6-1 and 218 pounds, fell to the ground.
* H.B. Blades tackled--really tackled--Keiland Williams after a short run to the right. "No tackles, let him go," shouted coach Lou Spanos.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Austin is really standing out in training camp.

DeSean Jackson Lite?

Discuss

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

When I saw this, I immediately thought of Brownwood.......

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 2, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 2, 2010 9:47 AM

You're getting another step closer to making Shanahan a deity, you blind nutcase. What are you? Twelve years old? I'm pretty sure the players don't respect a guy who gets outwitted by a sloth. And if you think Haynesworth passes a conditioning test after several days of doing nothing and there's no lying involved you're delusional. Conditioning doesn't get better with inactivity.

In Shanahan YOU trust!

Posted by: Firuz1 | August 2, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I may have to rethink my position on bringing Sage in to be the #2 QB...from PFT:

Six picks so far for Sage Rosenfels
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2010 9:11 AM ET
During offseason workouts, Vikings quarterback Sage Rosenfels appeared to disappear from the depth chart, getting limited reps.

As it turns out, there are worse things than getting limited reps in the offseason.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune points out that Rosenfels threw six interceptions between Saturday night and Sunday practices. A seventh was dropped by linebacker Heath Farwell.

With many league observers believing that Rosenfels could be traded once Brett Favre shows up, the Vikings' potential return for Rosenfels will drop dramatically if he continues to imitate Jake Delhomme in training camp.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Haha gatorskinz, you beat me to it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:43 AM

Really? You needed to see this to come to that conclusion? He was behind Tarvaris Jackson on the Vikes depth chart last season.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 2, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

From what I have read, it really looks like my hero Clinton Portis is in for a good season.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Austin is really standing out in training camp.

DeSean Jackson Lite?

Discuss

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:39 AM

If these practice sessions are any indication, then yes.

Seems like we've got Round 7 down pat. Now if we can start doing better in Rounds 1-6 we might have a dynasty...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Haha gatorskinz, you beat me to it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:45 AM
-----------------------------------------
I don't think Sage to Washington is likely to happen anyway. Sounds like Grossman and McNabb are locks, and it wouldn't make sense for Rosenfels to be a third stringer. My thinking right now is Bartel has the job nailed unless they bring in another young guy to compete after they send Brennan packing.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

lh, without rehashing the whole thing, Sage's numbers in this system are far and away the best of his career. Very good numbers for a backup, in fact. So I never said the guy is star in waiting but he's apparently a great fit for THIS offense, regardless of what he's done elsewhere. Kinda like our old friend Todd Collins...in the Saunders system, he looks really good. Elsewhere, he's the poo-poo platter.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM

Let's hope so.

Man, I gotta admit though, LJ was the one that stuck out to me when I went last Thursday.

Heard an interview with him that made me feel good about him too...basically talked about how he really only played 1 year of college ball,then had to sit behind Priest for several years. Bottom line, his age is deceiving, he may have several really good years left!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM
------------------------------------------
From what I have read he has looked good. Article I read said he looked faster than he has in years. Still, I have also read that Larry Johnson has been running with power and Ryan Torain has looked pretty good, too. I believe Shanahan is being truthful when he says it is CP's job to start, but I can see a lot of his playing time being eaten up by the other guys on the roster. Any way you slice it, the fact there is so much competition at the position really says good things about the running game. If the o-line gels, this could be a beastly running team.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If these practice sessions are any indication, then yes.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Round 1 in 2009 turned out well. Let's hope Trent Williams is the same. It would be sweet for him to make the ProBowl as a rookie.

Austin is making this squad.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The running game will be really good this year. Shanahan can always do that well.

Now we have a QB that defenses have to respect.

We may have a top 10 offense.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Sundberg passed the conditioning test - that means he's good right? Give the guy a break.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The problem is we never have rounds 1-6.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 2, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Didn't the Giants make the same mistake.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

KurtShanaman has sort of disappeared since these reports of Colt not doing so well surfaced.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Austin is making this squad.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 11:03 AM
----------------------------------------
If he keeps up like he has been, he's going to do more than make the squad; he's going to get significant playing time. Would like to hear how he is doing with punt & kick returns. If he does well there, he's a lock.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Baldy beeps...

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

More power to the Smurfs!!

I got a coupla snappers in my pond..They're real quiet and eat blugills and baby bass- Ill send you guys one, if you don't re-sign Albright, which would be THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Austin making big plays in the passing game, AND being a contender for the PR/KR duties. Kelly yet to show squat as a WR and doesn't do special teams. Not looking too good for Malcolm now is it? MK has a lot to proove if he wants to make the team.

Wish we would see some reports about how the PR/KR battles are going though.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 10:57 AM

Yeah, doesn't look like it...but I think they'll only keep 2 QBs anyway, so a 3rd guy is moot. I was really looking at Sage as the #2 guy instead of Rex. But if Sage can't decipher the difference between the white/purple jerseys in practice, seems he won't do much better in games. It's a shame because he put up some really good numbers in Houston.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Red Snapper was one of the leading punt special teams tacklers. Bring him back! Or, just maybe, Shanny doesn't want another union rep on the team--and for that he is willing to risk losing at least one game because of special teams snafus.

Posted by: iliwai34 | August 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse