On special teams, 'we got to see who will hit'

While the Redskins spent the majority of the offseason trying to create competition at every position, the team concluded its offseason workouts last week with a noticeably thin corps of specialists.

Barring some free agent signings, the team is currently poised to open training camp with one kicker (Graham Gano), one punter (Josh Bidwell) and one long snapper (Nick Sundberg).

"I'm comfortable right now," said special teams coordinator Danny Smith. "But you know, the punter, the kicker, all those guys, they know all the time, it's a phone call away to get a couple of guys in here to kick and punt....There's always competition there, I think, no matter who you have in camp."

Smith was pleased with what he saw in organized team activities and the team's three minicamps, but he won't really know what he's working with until training camp opens.

"We got to see who will hit," he said. "Special teams is no different than offense and defense. We got a lot of guys who did a lot of great drill work, now we need to see them hit with the pads on. That's the name of the game."

By Rick Maese  |  June 23, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Special teams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth sued by Tennessee bank
Next: Albert Haynesworth statement: 'I have always planned to attend training camp'

Comments

FIRST to say Gano will be great. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm also not worried about our NT position at all:

"Haslett wants the Baltimore version of Kemo, not the one in Carolina’s 4-3. In Baltimore, Haslett says, 'he was outstanding.'"

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the glory days...from an ESPN fluff series they're starting about the single best team in each franchise's history:

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow, this place is dead...is today a holiday or something?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

"We got to see who will hit,"
Now that's the spirit and good stuff too!

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 23, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow, this place is dead...is today a holiday or something?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:11 AM
------------------------------------------
It's always a holiday somewhere. I think it is just early. Here let me throw out some bait to see if it really is this dead:

-Jason Campbell was the worst QB in the history fo the Redskins and he won't even win the starting job with the Raiders.

-Albert Haynesworth is fully justified in sitting out. The team screwed him and it is about time he gets even.

-The offensive line is horrible. T. Williams is a draft dud. Jammal Brown is a shadow of his former self. BMW has ballooned up to 400 pounds again.

There, that should do it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Hard to think the Redskins wouldn't be one of the 20 teams...from PFT:

More than 20 teams expected to attend Harvey Unga's workout
Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2010 6:46 AM ET
The leading rusher in BYU history will have a large contingent of teams at his July 8 workout, in advance of the supplemental draft.

Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that more than 20 teams -- including the Dolphins -- will be present.

As of last week, the number was at 14 and counting.

Despite the interest, it's unknown whether anyone plans to sacrifice a 2011 draft pick in order to acquire Unga's rights. There's talk that, if he's drafted, it'll happen in one of the later rounds.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Haha RSH...you basically just took from a compilation of hessone posts.

If RI wasn't so full of out-of-town Skins fans, I'd almost think the slow start up here had to do with the I-270 closure...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Haha RSH...you basically just took from a compilation of hessone posts.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:36 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't like in DC, but I have family there and the traffic just sucks. I don't know how you guys do it. In Syracuse, we have more than a minute's delay on the freeway and we're calling it a traffic jam...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Haha RSH...you basically just took from a compilation of hessone posts.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:36 AM
------------------------------------------
I don't live in DC, but I have family there and the traffic just sucks. I don't know how you guys do it. In Syracuse, we have more than a minute's delay on the freeway and we're calling it a traffic jam...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:41 AM
Should've read, "I don't live in DC"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

As of last week, the number was at 14 and counting.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:31 AM
-------------------------------------------
Do you think the Skins will bid? What round draft pick? I can't see more than a fifth or a sixth. With their third and fourth rounders tied up in other trades, I don't think they can even put them on the table.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Was at a Redskins function yesterday @ FedEx Field. Bruce Allen spoke to us. Of note are the following:

**Santana Moss did not take anything illeagal and he will not be suspended. (He was def sure about this. Or he was a really great liar, but I really believe him because he was straight up on everything)

**AH92 - it all depends,basically, on him coming into camp in shape.

**WR - The only question he was stumped at, so that was scary.

**T.O. - He said they looked at him in March and decided to go another direction. It doesn't sound like they'll go for him even now.

**Repect for the game and doing crazy dances - He's going to involve the past and history more so these guys have a sense of respect and know the place and time to do these things.

That was the only relevent info I got out of it.......

Re: Those new Monitors - Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I almost thought I was in a brand new stadium. And they're on both sides.

They also took out about 500 or so Club seats above the monitors to make it a standing party zone for Club ticket holders....ala Dallas Stadium..but these are much closer to the action.

Last thing, the must have lost ALOT of Club Season ticket holders, because they were giving out all kinds of deals.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

brown, how big is this kid from BYU???

whats his 40??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya RSH...I grew up in the D.C. area but I live in central PA now and what they consider traffic is a joke. I mean, their "capital beltway" is literally about 15 miles around...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Side note on HAynesworth - He basically said everything Shanny said, I was just adding the new part. He is just as disappointed and mention the before 4/1 and after 4/1 date.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for the update.

moe, heard today that A-rod only has 9 home runs so far this year??? 9???

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Greg, Harvey Unga is 6'0", 240 lbs. All-time leading rusher in BYU history. No real red flags on the guy, but he got kicked out of BYU because--just can't make stuff like this up--he had sex with his fiancee. Only runs a 4.6 40, but he could be one of those "deceptively fast" guys like Stephen Davis.

RSH, not sure if the Skins will spend a pick on him, but it looks like nobody else is going to give up more than about a 6th on him. Since we may get an extra 6th rounder out of the Jammal Brown deal, I wouldn't be mad if we made a run at him (provided the team thinks he's worth it).

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

brown, thanks....interesting...bigger cat, late rounder, 5th/6th/7th, sure...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

brown;

yes, it is a holiday... US Soccer at 10....

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 23, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff 4th, thanks for sharing.

The thing that stands out is the Moss non-suspension. That's HUGE. If that's true, I'm coming off the "sign TO" movement immediately.

God, it feels good to have a good FO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

brown;

Funny how I heard goddell was looking for info on some other player (forget who) who did something but has stayed mum about Moss.

Maybe this is a case where Moss cooperating for the feds gives godell pause....

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 23, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks 4th for the update. I guess if Albert is in shape the team is willing to ride out the storm. I assume until the trade deadline in an attempt to get better value for AH. If he's out of shape, some other team will get AH at a bargain.

Posted by: TWISI | June 23, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Zeebs, this Moss situation seems to be so much further under the radar...not sure if that's good or bad, but it seems to me that if Allen has such a great outlook on it that is bodes well for us. Moss has always been our "Cowboy killer" and I would feel a lot better about that game with him in the lineup.

TWISI, I still don't see anything good coming out of keeping AH any longer. Holding out hope for a worthwhile trade can do more damage than good to the locker room, especially if his teammates universally feel betrayed. There's no good reason to go into training camp with him still on the roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

brown, how big is this kid from BYU???

whats his 40??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 7:50 AM
------------------------------------------
Bean,
He's 6'0" and 239 lbs. He doesn't have a forty time that I could find but I am thinking he is more of the 4.6 or slower variety of runner. He's got good vision and decent acceleration. I think giving up a sixth would be a bargain. He's leaving early because he broke BYU's honor code. I can't find exactly what he did, but an article says he could have violated the code by having pre-marital sex. Coincidentally, his girlfriend is leaving the school, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff 4th, thanks for sharing.

God, it feels good to have a good FO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:06 AM
------------------------------------------
Come on over here to the "Oh God, please don't sign TO" bench. There's not much room left but we'll make space for you.

And, I agree - it does feel good to have a FO. Let me add that is good to have a head coach that holds his players accountable, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I got it above, RSH...he had sex with his fiancee and they're both out of the school. That's what they get for following a moral code instead of an oral code, I guess.

I haven't seen him play, but if he's getting the attention of 20 teams, he's got to have some kinda game...I mean, Jarmon didn't get that kind of attention last year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

does this cat from BYU fit the 1 cut and go system that Shanny runs?? Seems like he might not be a great fit for what they're trying to put into place here......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Hope Gano doesn't choke when the game is on the line. All three are newbies.. I don't know what to make of them. I miss Hunter and Ethan Albright. Groin injuries especially among punters are difficult to heal. Ethan made the Pro Bowl 2 yrs ago so I don't understand why the 'Skins cut him. Hope the new snapper will be ok.

Posted by: RedCherokee | June 23, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:32 AM

Haha...I don't hate the idea of TO here but I'm not in love with it either. Just like marriage, if you can't commit fully you probably better you don't.

I'm not ready to give Shanahan props for holding players accountable quite yet...I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't tossed AH's punk @ss off the roster yet. I'll give him his pat on the back when he pats AH on the @ss...with the door on his way outta Redskins Park.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:25 AM

I tend to agree with you. I would want him off the team. However, from the sound bites I've heard, the players seem to be willing to forgive and forget if Haynesworth comes in ready and willing to play. He'll have some explaining to do, but from Carter to Fletcher to McNabb, they all seem to be willing to accept Haynesworth if he is willing to be a team player.

Posted by: TWISI | June 23, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 8:37 AM

Not sure, Greg...I haven't seen him play. But you figure he can't be a worse fit than LJ and yet here he is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:25 AM
-------------------------------------------
I disagree. I've given this a lot of thought and if they cut him, they lose their leverage in bargaining with him to return his signing bonus. If they keep his rights while reciting the mantra that he will play nose tackle, they have leverage - especially if he truly is against playing nose tackle. Let's face it, they are not going to get much in the way of a trade for such a grumbling malcontent, so the best they can hope for is to recover some (or all) of that signing bonus. If Haynie Baby really wants to be traded, then they need to let it be known that the signing bonus has to come back before that discussion is even on the table. If he doesn't show up, then they just fine his butt off and don't pay him his salary. They win either way, as long as they manage the locker room situation - and this mature front office can do that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 8:38 AM
-----------------------------------------
I think they are playing the Haynesworth thing the right way. If they cut him, they lose their leverage. If they keep him, keep making noise about him playing the dreaded nose tackle position, and let him know they won't engage in any trade talks until they get their signing bonus back, they just might get some of their money back. Meanwhile, if Haynesworth skips camp, they can recover their money by fining him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Still wondering why we didn't resign Hunter... he was one of our best players last year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 23, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say Gano will be great. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm holding you to that.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 23, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 23, 2010 8:48 AM
-----------------------------------------
Yes, it is funny how quickly he exited the conversation... I think he was either asking for too much money (he was only a punter, for Pete's sake), or there was something about his attitude in the locker room Shanny didn't like. I'm leaning to the former.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It's called "Metro!"

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | June 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say Gano will be great. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm holding you to that.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | June 23, 2010 8:53 AM
------------------------------------------
All Danny Smith had to see was the kid routinely sending kickoffs into the end zone and he was sold. The opposing team's return average goes way down when all they get are touchbacks...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Out of curiousity...anyone know where the Red Snapper ended up? Seemed strange to me that a guy that never muffed a snap in his time here just disappears.

Posted by: torqued21 | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 8:41 AM

Everything I've heard is that this scenario is unlikely anyway. So keeping him around to try and take back money is a bad idea.

Cut him and make the example of him that if you don't fall in line with the new regime, you're done here. And since it's Haynesworth, it proves that no salary and no individual is too big to get sent packing.

Can't put a price on that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: torqued21 | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM

I think he's done playing...which I'm sure figures into why he's not here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, brownwood.

Posted by: torqued21 | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the decision on Hunter, either. In addition to punting, he was also one of our best quarterbacks AND running backs!!

Posted by: mmck | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I hope I am not delusional, but this is the most excited I've been for a Skins squad since Gibbs in 2004. We have a real QB, way better line (on paper anyway), 2 freak TE's, A stable of RB's, and potential at WR. And a coach who knows strategy and how to control a game. We have a real chance at being good.

Posted by: FedorEm | June 23, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 8:37 AM

"They run a power spread attack. What does that mean? Basically, offensive coordinator Robert Anae uses the personnel he has to make his offense, and he just so happens to have a very big running back, a likely NFL tight end, and a talented fullback."

They basically use a spread running attack but w/o as many WR as most teams that use a spread employ. In substitution of the wrs they use a FB ans TE sometimes 2 TE sets.
Their running style isn't the ideal fit for shanny but it is fairly close. BYU is considered by many to be a pro ready rushing style, utilizing the FB and TEs.
Plus if you look at some of the great games this kid had they are against Utah and TCU, some of the MWC best teams and defenses.
He would be a quality addition, esp if he can be had for a 6th, maybe even a fifth.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the sentiments about getting this kid off the supdraft. I really love the supplemental draft concept. When JJ gets healthy I see him and KpO being a monster pair of DE/OLB enforcers on the edges.

I don't see us getting this kid though, because from what I understand, the 4th, 5th and 6th round picks are all tied up in these weird Philly/NO how things play out scenarios.

If the kid is worth anything, you are stuck with only a 3rd and 7th to offer. Third locks you into getting him but screws us up next off season, 7th probably means the kids not all he is cracked up to be.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

stu thanks....I'd take a late round flyer, but not much more....seems like this cat has generated a great deal of interest, given the 20 teams that could be at his workout.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:41 AM

Yeah congratulations.

Problem with that is - the rest of the time, your still stuck in a sh!thole like Syracuse.

(we kid because we love...)

Posted by: edvar | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

What happened to Ethan Albright? How did I miss his departure? I don't think I've missed a post on this blog...

Posted by: SCDowns | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmck | June 23, 2010 9:09 AM

It's not like we got rid of him in favor of Durant Brooks...Josh Bidwill is a very good veteran. Hunter did some nice things here, but I don't necessarily believe we downgraded.

Unless, of course, we're bringing back the swinging gate...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:41 AM

Yeah, congratulations. Only problem with that is the rest of the time, your still in Syracuse!

(we kid because we love...)

Posted by: edvar | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

If you want to catch a game of his, last year BYUvTCU. It was pretty much a defacto MWC title geame both cam in undefeated. TCU whooped they @ss but Harvey ran great against one of the top D's in the country, particularly against the run. I mean besides bama last year i would have taken TCU D against anyone.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SCDowns | June 23, 2010 9:23 AM |

Albright only does one year deals, and the new regime decided to sign someone else instead.

...and sorry about the double post, this thing is moving slow today.

Posted by: edvar | June 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 7:41 AM

(we kid because we love...)

Posted by: edvar | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM
------------------------------------------
Yeah, you got me there. I like it here, though. I admit that it is an acquired taste.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | June 23, 2010 8:55 AM |

Hey, I can't conclusively prove plagiarism guilt, but my list, published in RI several days ago, had the same four or five items that your list and Z-turd's list had. What are the chances of that happeninng coincidentally? Since you think you are such a forkin' genius you should be able to work that one out.

Posted by: BankerVance | June 23, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Can't put a price on that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:04 AM
------------------------------------------
I get the philosophy, but I still think they will get back some money. They may have to pursue it in a court of law, but they will get some of their money back. Plus, it warms my heart to think of Shanny having Haynesworth running laps in the hot summer sun...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM |

Dude - you have an addiction. You need help. What with the dawn of the digital age there has been a whole new list of pschoses that shrinks have identified like electronic games addiction that they are working on cures for. Go to the website for the American Psychiatric Association to see if there is any info on help with your addiction. If not treated it could have serious repercussions on your fambly, your job, your social stability, etc.

Posted by: BankerVance | June 23, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

RSH, it's gonna be really difficult to get money away from him unless he's skipping training camp. And if he's still on the roster at that point, they've kept him too long, IMO. Fines and headgames won't make that big contract go away...time to cut our losses and move on.

The same reasons you and other don't want TO (drama, too much media attention, bad attitude) are the same reasons why the Skins shouldn't keep AH for not a second longer. If they wanna wait a couple weeks to see if they can get anything in a trade, that's fine...but there's no reason why this guy shouldn't gone by the first of the month.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 9:29 AM |

Posted by: BankerVance | June 23, 2010 9:44 AM
------------------------------------------
Thank you, Dr. Phil. You whipped out that website name a little too easily for me to believe you haven't been referred there a few times yourself.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 23, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 23, 2010 8:48 AM

He prob wanted more money because of his offensive stats (2 TDs).

Re: Albright - Prob trying to get younger.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Send AH to Detroit for Kevin Smith and a low round draft pick

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'll say it again about Haynesworth: Let the fat tub of goo sit. It's like Herm Edwards said about Rothisberger. "fining them doesn't do anything, you have to take them off the stage." Let him sit for a year and see if anyone wants him.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | June 23, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Special teams is like boxing. Larry Holmes said of Mike Tyson, that watching him on TV, you saw a hundred ways to beat him. Then in the ring he hit you and suddenly you forgot all of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

just got a text saying the US got robbed of another goal.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 23, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

twisi

"I tend to agree with you. I would want him (AH) off the team."

I think we all agree on this.

But maybe the FO feels that a thing of value is a joy to behold.

Our junk in Haynesworth might be some other team's treasure.

So perhaps the prudent thing to do is to hold on to him hoping some other team says, "Why not?" and delivers picks or a player in return for him.

That shrewd line of thinking would explain why the FO was slow to move AH before April 1st: they feel the people who didn't want to pay value before the draft, might return it in the event of injury or some other such issue.

So maybe you hold on to Haynesworth hoping either he shows up ready to play or is sent somewhere else and you get picks in return.

But to cut or release him willy nilly just to make some emotionally fueled point?: I say NO to that.

But I do say let's try to get some treasure for our junk.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Danny Smith says "We got to see who will hit" and then says "..."now we get to see who will hit with pads on." I guess hitting with no pads on is rather thrilling...;)

Posted by: semilost44 | June 23, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmcpks73 | June 23, 2010 10:18 AM

Considering Herm Edwards is no longer a coach, I hesitate to buy wholesale any coaching advice he has. I mean, who are you gonna trust in this decision...Mike Shanahan or Herm Edwards?

He's right that fining doesn't do anything, but "taking him off the stage" just gives AH and his agent all the reason in the world to pop off and be disruptive. It's a great "F you" to AH, but it often backfires.

You get a guy like that off the roster and you cut your losses. Keeping him around holding out hope for change or to spite him in some way will hurt more than it helps.

Besides...what part of AH's act makes you think he WOULDN'T be happy to sit at home and keep his money without working for it? I mean, isn't that part of this dispute anyway?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"...this place is dead..."

Indeed.

Perhaps folks are all glued to the USA v. Whoever soccer match/game or whateva the f!ck they call it.

Me?: I'm on vacation.

And I'm heading back to sleep.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

But I do say let's try to get some treasure for our junk.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 10:33 AM

AH coming ready to play ain't an option...again, if he were capable of getting mentally prepared for things here he'd already be here instead of pouting and demanding to be traded.

I can see holding out hope for a trade. But there needs to be a cut off date where we say "we tried to deal him...F it, let's just get him outta here". As crucial as training camp is to not only get prepared to play physically and mentally, but to forge a good level of team chemistry, it would be foolish to try and introduce (or even force) AH into the fold. When the players speak out against him like they did, I'm not sure how you fix that.

So I wouldn't say cut him "willy nilly"...I trust this FO to comb over all options and eventually come to the realization it's better to get rid of him at a net financial loss than it is to keep him around to divide your locker room in the name of trying to get money back or sucker someone into a trade.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

To brownwood26-
I don't know if we need to say "let's just get him outta here.." This is really a minor story blown waayyyy out of proportion by the Washington media. In the past, players have groused about scheme or playing time,etc., so to me, this isn't the biggest deal, AH will eventually have to show up, play in the D & either be proven right or a fool.

The fan base is far too emotional & this idea of getting rid of AH for this shows it. Players pout, shoot, PEOPLE pout, he'll get over himself. I wonder about the age of some of the posters, I'm 39, so I'm old enough to have seen this bunches of times before in the NFL, some act as though this is the mother of all insubordinations-it isn't.Sure, he got paid, but that's what the contract called for.

As far as the fixing the team speaking out about him, remember this happens all the time, they're grown men. Steve Young used to make comments of frustrated impatience waiting his turn behind Montana, Bradshaw had to deal with teammates publicly favoring J.Gilliam for a time, Peyton Manning dealt with his kicker's comments, and so on. But more on this.....

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I would be happy with a 4th rounder, and ok with a 5th for our boy AH at this point. Man I thought we were done with these prima donna types when shanny came and all of the sudden CP26 fell in line. Oh well just a matter of time until we unload this head case unfortunately everyone knows this aswell.

Posted by: sthai75 | June 23, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

ideally, what the team needs is for another team to hire Vin Cerrato to run their player operations. Once this happens, offer them AH, for a 2nd, and a 3rd, and roll.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

just got a text saying the US got robbed of another goal.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 23, 2010 10:33 AM

And your point....

Don't give no more soccer updates before I come and rob your a$$.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

ArmchairGM,

I'm not going into the ins-and-outs of why AH is in the wrong here. If I have to explain that to you, you just don't get it and probably won't.

I'll sum it up with this: a new coach has to show his players exactly why it's in their best interest to buy into what he's selling. Shanahan has the rings to back up what he's saying, but most of these guys were in grade school when he won those. So the next step is laying down the law and getting the troops disciplined. It's hard to keep your locker room disciplined if there's a different set of rules for each player.

That's been a big problem here for years. Everybody has to practice...except CP. Everybody has to show up to offseason camps...except Laron Landry. That stuff doesn't work and it's over.

You do what you're asked to do or you get gone. It's really as simple as that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

At this point there is no need to trade or release Fat Albert RIGHT THIS INSTANT. From now until the beginning of training camp, nothing is going on at Redskin park. The Skins can afford to be patient at least until then. They will use this time to explore their options, guage any interest, and see what kind of deal may be possible. For now it's all just a battle of words, and the media is the playing field.
They might be waiting to see if Fat Albert shows up at Camp. They can't impose any financial penalties or try to recoup any of their bonus money unless he doesn't show. From what I understand, under the terms of the CBA they can only hope to get back about 2 million tops anyway. Besides, if he won't pay back a 2.4 million bank loan, what makes you think he'll pay back any bonus money.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 23, 2010; 11:18 AM

ASHBURN, Va. -- Albert Haynesworth says he will be there when the Washington Redskins open training camp next month, despite a dispute that has teammates calling him selfish.

The disgruntled two-time All Pro defensive tackle released a statement Wednesday saying he plans to attend training camp "despite my current differences with the Redskins."

Haynesworth stayed away from all offseason activities - including last week's mandatory minicamp - because he is unhappy with the team's switch to a 3-4 defense. The Redskins offered him a chance to find another team - until he collected a $21 million bonus on April 1.

Several teammates called Haynesworth selfish when he didn't show for the minicamp last week.

The Redskins open training camp July 29.

Posted by: suliman007_4 | June 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

would have been nice in the post about Rhino if we could have gotten an update on how he is progressing with his injury......just sayin...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 23, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

It seems clear to me that Fat Albert must go. There is too much harm that can come from keeping him, and too little to gain. But... there is no need to rush into anything foolish. As long as he's gone by the time they have to cut the roster to 53 everything will be OK.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Most hard-core fans saw Dan Snyder's many moves with this franchise as wrong the time they were done & have been proven right. The AH signing was one, as I written before many of us were like huh? when DS raced, no other team in particular, to sign AH on the 1st day. And he did the DS way with the jet and the wining/dining-all that crap.

So, to me Dan Snyder has steadfastly refused to learn his lessons, refusing to stop meddling, refusing to stop with the Big Willy wine& dine FA junk, refusing to stop changing coaches-sabotaging the team by constantly mis-aligning coaches with players-though Haslett is a Shanahan hire, if Snyder hadn't proved to be so meddlesome in the past, he could have suggested to Shanahan to look again at the talent on team before considering a 3-4 defense w/o appearing to be himself and/or ruffling his new coach's feathers. Particularly since Shanahan mentioned he wanted to use it merely because he saw how difficult it was to prepare for while watching football, not, because he saw that the Skins had the personnel to run it-not the best reason for changing the D.

So Snyder has to see, absolutely, qualitatively, that his way of running a franchise doesn't work-that's where AH comes in. Here's a player who won't go along with the program,exactly, what Snyder needs to see that he should never do it again. To me, this is soooo important.

For whatever reason, no amount of losing seasons, dumb trades, dumber FA signings and coaching shenanigans could Snyder to sing a new tune.Even though Shanahan pulled the trigger on the McNabb trade, it has all the hallmarks of a Snyder move even if Shanahan wasn't here, sacrificing youth for a veteran, signing a flashy name & not letting the offseason settle down and moving deliberately.
So DS needs to see...again...that there's a wrong way to run a team and a NFL way. Thats' where AH comes in. Oh and about AH...

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman007_4 | June 23, 2010 11:35 AM

Biggest No News Statement EVER....

How many mis-steps can he take? Ofcourse you gonna be there...The Redskins don't want you to come so they can collect some dough.....

No to whoever keeps saying trade him for a 4th.....1st round or nothing....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

USA wins, 1-0. Scores in 92nd minute -- injury time.

Posted by: greenback | June 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

As a guy on record for ripping soccer, I have to admit the One-nil stoppage time thrashing of Algeria was one helluva sporting event.

Posted by: TheCork | June 23, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

No to whoever keeps saying trade him for a 4th.....1st round or nothing....

Posted by: 4thFloor
No one will give up a 1st for Albert. everyone knows that he has the Skins in a bad position. Keeping him would be disasterous. The Skins will take whatever offer is best.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Armchair, when you're done beboppin' and scattin' all over the place with the tired "Snyder will never change" song, let me know...I mean, that last post didn't even have an actual topic...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

What AH is doing isn't the worst thing in the world because the thing that has really, I mean realllly hurt the Skins during the Snyder era is switching the damn coaches and schemes. Here's a player who to the horror of the franchise and Skins nation won't let it happen. I say GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!! My belief is we wasted Lavar Arrington's career with the constant scheme & coach switching. We threw Stephen Davis overboard because of scheme. We were wasting Sean Taylor's career with scheme switches and we need to have someone bow their back about the idea of yet another scheme switch.It just so happens that a someone new to the team is doing it so it seems more outrageous,but that's how the team was built-the wrong way with a bunch of strangers& mercenaries. Built the NFL way, a respected longterm team veteran would've taken on the AH role and had more support from the fan base. But, someone had to do it. I just wish that, if I'm anywhere on the right track with AH's mind, he would articulate his/this point of view-he would see there's many Skins fans who would back him.
We have known for 11 years that the soil is turned over in Redskinland before anything flowers-AH is so new to it, he has been made sour.

Whether fans hate him or not, AH winning on this point wouldn't hurt the credibility of the new staff-it could be deftly played as "Shanahan is a player's coach, blah, blah,blah.."

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The USA vs algeria match was something else. To all redskins faithful who love watching a good game, make sure to see the reairing of this match...it is an excellent excuse to get drunk and shout U-S-A!
P'ss on Haynesworth, that f'ggot is taking up too much of our time. Don't don't care anymore whether he stays or goes, I just hope he breaks his leg like Theisman did.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 23, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

If you can't get the point of that post, yikes, my friend it was repeated several times including the last sentence and it was response to your previous post.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 23, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL- Albert is mad at the Skins, because they are not apologizing for making fun of the way his massive head stretched the neck hole of his jersey.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 23, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"...It seems clear to me that Fat Albert must go. There is too much harm that can come from keeping him, and too little to gain. But... there is no need to rush into anything foolish..."..kaasmaster

"Foolish",right, like getting rid of guy because he's whining about the scheme. The breathless panting from so many suggests you're young fans-this is NOT the biggest deal, gang, it's just not. Players requesting trades when pissed is also not a big deal-Kobe Bryant did it a few years ago with the Lakers. You just can't get rid of guys because of a funky personality, unless you want to be the Broncos or the Browns, shedding talented players because they won't kiss your butt.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Armchair,

Yes, Snider has been an IDIOT all along. Yes, the revolving door of coaches/QB's has been a major failure. Yes, the personnel moves have been ill-conceived.

!!NEWS FLASH!! Snider is not going anywhere! If you honestly don't believe he can change, then you should go away, otherwise you will be complaining for the rest of your or his life, whichever comes first.

The changes the Skins have made this year were neccessary for the future good of the franchise. We can only hope that Snider sticks with this new direction. Untill he proves that he will not, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Allen and Shanahan seem to be doing a good job of addressing needs that are in the best intrest for the future success of the team.

Keeping the defense the same for the benefit of one player is not in the best interest of the team. especially when that player is constantly proving that he is an irresponsibe a-hole in every facet of his life. Haslett needs to find out who on this team is going to fit into his 3-4 scheme, and the sooner the better. Next year he can begin the process of replacing the players who don't work out.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"So the next step is laying down the law and getting the troops disciplined. It's hard to keep your locker room disciplined if there's a different set of rules for each player."

posted by brownwood26

...cattin' all over the place with the tired "Snyder will never change" song, ...

posted by brownwood26

You're illustrating why Snyder needs to change with the 1st sentence.Remember, this isn't about a different set of rules, but a schematic change.Some of you fans, are taking this way too seriously.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

robb deez

Posted by: RedDMV | June 23, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Keeping the defense the same for the benefit of one player is not in the best interest of the team...."

kassmaster

It's not about keeping the defense the same, kass, it's about "continuity" The team under Snyder keeps sabotaging itself with the lack of continuity.
------
"Do you REALY think that the Skins should have kept Vinny and Zorn around any longer just to shut that revolving door?"

Did I say anything about these two? What are you talking about?!?!?
------

...again, what are you talking about? Quote me saying I honestly don't believe he can change? You're drawing bad conclusions.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I've been a consistant fan of the Skins since Jack Pardee was the coach. I am no spring chicken.

Usually when a player starts rabble rousing about demanding a trade it's not really a big deal. Yes, the media and fans usually get in an uproar, the team management expresses dissapointment, but thats about it.

This situation is different than any I have seen in any sport. Normally, players continue to express their support for their teammate, or at least keep their mouth shut. In this case his current teammates are outright bashing him, his former teamates are bashing him, players on other teams are bashing him, even the head of the players union is bashing him. When have you EVER seen so many players turn against one of their own?
Albert is an A-hole above and beyond anything anything that has been seen in pro sports. Everything he does both sports and life related proves he is just a foul human being. Do I need to reprint BankerVance's list of the people/institutions that have legal complaints against him?

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I would be interested to see what Bill Cowher has to say about this situation, but then he is not a coach anymore so I guess nobody should listen to him. AH just needs to go off into the sunset and get as far away from Washington as possible. I will help him pack.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | June 23, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Easy guys - this team has way more questions than answers. The biggest acquisition is a QB on the decline. Brown, Kemeatu, and Carricker are being counted on heavily and they all missed last season due to injury. There is absolutely nothing behind any of those guys should they get hurt again (including McNabb). The team is gonna staff its 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel. I'm not even addressing the shaky-at-best WR's. Skins will finish last in the NFC East again this year but the team will at least be heading in the right direction. Hopefully they can start hitting on some draft picks - the ones they don't trade away.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Armchair,
I agreed that continuity is sorely needed around Redskins park, but a change this year was necessary. Now we have to wait and see if the continuity will follow.

Albert Hanesworth is a continuity we can do without. He was a mistake of the Vinny era that we definately don't need to continue.
""Foolish",right, like getting rid of guy because he's whining about the scheme."
There are plenty more reasons to get rid of Fat Albert than just his whining.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

by kaasmaster
-------
Again, you're drawing bad conclusions. The team hasn't TURNED on AH. Players express frustrations w/teammates all of the time. J.Cutler did it when Brandon Marshall cut himself while both were with the Broncos, Farve did it to Javon Walker when he was holding out for more cash. Various teammates have done it to Farve. Portis and Sellers, and so on.This is no different. What is "outright bashing" him, what expressing their opinions? Just like AH, they too are grown men. To see it any other way is immature-despite what some fans believe, the players don't have to shut-up and play nice with each other or the coaches.
It's not going to be Camelot,man, AH needs to remember that as well.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

but a change this year was necessary.

kaasmaster
-----------
C'mon kaas baby, you know damn well I agree. I'm not talking the need to keep everything static. I'm talking about the need for the franchise to see that all of the players are not going to go quietly along while the franchise "figures it out". The Skins have needed to see this. In his own demented way, AH is trying to keep continuity. I'll give the Colts as an example-no matter who coaches the team, the base of their offense stays the same, it doesn't switch.
------------------
He was a mistake of the Vinny era that we definately don't need to continue.

------------------
Agree, with the 1st part and sort of with last, we don't NEED AH, but I'm of the mind that we never needed him. I written before he was a luxury signing for a team that desperately needed O-line help. But, he's on the team now. If Snyder was willing to eat the money he's paid him, the guy would've been cut already, but Snyder hasn't.
There are times where the damage is irreparable, such as when teammates start belittling each others' skills,saying a guy doesn't have it is really messing with his livelihood, but this is not one of those times, IMO. Credit his teammates with being smart enough to tow the company line, they're not trying to be HIM after all.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | June 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Armchair.
Obviously we're not in total agreement. Neither are we in total disagreement. I've already expressed my reasons as to why I think Albert must go. Now we have to wait and see what transpires. Meanwhile the soap opera goes on...

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"I tend to agree with you. I would want him (AH) off the team."

I think we all agree on this.

But maybe the FO feels that a thing of value is a joy to behold.

Our junk in Haynesworth might be some other team's treasure.

But I do say let's try to get some treasure for our junk.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 23, 2010 10:33 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to admit that the FO is handling the AH thing perfectly. As much as I want to be the angry, vengeful, "Oh no you di-ent!" type of fan and have AH tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail, the front office is taking the smarter approach.

We don't release him outright, even for some of the money back. We either wait to see if he shows up to camp ready to play for real or we orchestrate a trade of some sort.

If we control the trade and not release him, we guarantee that he's not going to an NFC East team. The Eagles or the Giants would jump on the chance...they're both 4-3 Ds, too. Think about it...do you want him on a team we play twice every year? Me either.

If he's in camp, in shape, and works it out well enough with his teammates, then play ball and it's on. It won't be the first or last time this scene plays out in pro sports. I just want the best possible team out there to get as many wins as possible this year. I'm sick of us losing and just hope this all ends with high fiving complete strangers who are also wearing their Skins jerseys along side me at some random bar during the Superbowl this year.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 23, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 23, 2010

7:46 AM |

there won't be any fancy td or sack celebrations under shanahan's watch.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | June 23, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse